PDA

View Full Version : Beijing r2: Kvitova def. Kanepi 75 67(6) 62

WhoAmI?
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Kaia:bigcry:

1st set was very tight, Kvitova took her chances while Kanepi did not.

2nd set Kaia lead 5-0*, serving for the set at 5*-1, 5*-3, finally holding serve again for 6-5*, winning the TB 8-6, saving one MP.

3rd set Kaia couldn't really do anything on Petra's serve.

Petra really owns Kaia this season, 3 wins of 3.

Crazy stats too
winner/ue

Kvitova 45/53
Kanepi 15/43

winnermax
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Well done,Petra.She must be crazy in this match.In second set she down 0-5 at the beginning,and then she won 5 games in a row,however she lost in tiebreak including she wasted a match point.

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:47 AM
:spit: All tight matches.:eek: Maybe WTA can be saved?:lol:

Libertango
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Ugh. Kaia. :banghead: :help:

Zojirushi
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Well done Petra, nice win over a solid opponent:)

claypova
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Petra :inlove::woohoo:

itzhak
Oct 5th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Petra will be in Monday the Czech no. 1, she will pass Safarova...

Steadyniacki
Oct 5th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Kaia :awww:
At least you won the second set!

winnermax
Oct 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Petra please stop Caroline becoming the new NO.1!!

Cakeisgood
Oct 5th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Petra, I'm begging you, just stop the Woz express for at least a couple more weeks.

Marionated
Oct 5th, 2010, 08:41 AM
3 very close matches won against Kaia this season for Petra after being 0-2 against her :bowdown:

Dana1982
Oct 5th, 2010, 08:57 AM
That's really too bad. I like Kaia and wanted to see her advance here...

Elldee
Oct 5th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Not again, Kaia!!!1

skanky~skanketta
Oct 5th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Petra plays Caro next? :eek: Hope Caro can put that Wimbledon match out of her mind!

duhcity
Oct 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM
:hearts:
win them all

C. W. Fields
Oct 5th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Petra please stop Caroline becoming the new NO.1!!

If Caro even makes it to 3R. We might see a repeat of last year where she was also a bit sick and lost her first match.

Renalicious
Oct 5th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I called it. I knew it was Petra in three sets. :woohoo:

Jajaloo
Oct 5th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Good riddance.

Ta ta KaKa. :wavey:

tennisfan146
Oct 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Kaia :sad:. They always have tough matches. Petra, time to beat Caro now.

Vikapower
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Petra nice job :yeah: Be the hero and stop the Dane from making this WTA tour collapse more than it has already in just these few days.

Tennisfan06
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Kaia :sad:

Jane Lane
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Petra :worship: Awesome job! :inlove:

bbjpa
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Petra will save WTA twice :eek:

jimmy_the_greek
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:53 PM
petra:bounce::bounce:

BlackPanther.
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Kaia :awww: Keep improving.

WhoAmI?
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Kaia's comments on the match:

The game was basically behind the baseline, the one who was able to attack first started building the rally and finding the way to put it away, there was not much going to the net. She played really uncomfortably for me, hit deep down the middle, it was hard to start building something, her strokes were flat and very fast. I think she played pretty well.

The difference in winners (15 for KK, 45 for PK) really says a lot, I think it was her key for the win. She played very aggressively, didn't let me breath at all and she was successive at what she was doing. Even though my thigh bothered me in the match, it's not the main reason I lost, so I'm not saying it's for the injury. If it had been worse I would of retired.

If the thigh heals well, I'll play in Moscow, otherwise there's no point going to the tournament.

[I translated as well as I could]

Ballbasher
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Kaia :hug: Petra is her demon. :lol:

Ballbasher
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Kaia's comments on the match:

[I translated as well as I could]
Thanks. :D
Kaia has played quite a lot since Fed Cup.

Hian
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Kaia :weirdo:
How can a good player lose to Kvitova? :sobbing:

WhoAmI?
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Kaia :weirdo:
How can a good player lose to Kvitova? :sobbing:

Kvitova seems to be either bad or great, so just good isn't enough to beat her on her great day:sobbing:

Hian
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Kvitova seems to be either bad or great, so just good isn't enough to beat her on her great day:sobbing:

I really think kaia is better than Kvitova, and It's never a good thing to see Kaia losing to her :sobbing:
And the worst thing is that Kaia had more possibilities to stop Wozniacki. Kvitova is :weirdo:

Marionated
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I really think kaia is better than Kvitova, and It's never a good thing to see Kaia losing to her :sobbing:
And the worst thing is that Kaia had more possibilities to stop Wozniacki. Kvitova is :weirdo:

Kvitova has beaten Wozniacki before, Kanepi has not.

Hian
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I think it doesn't matter. But it's my opinion :)

Marionated
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I think it doesn't matter. But it's my opinion :)

Well of course it matters when discussing which player has the better shot at defeating a certain opponent.

Hian :hearts:

Juju Nostalgique
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Not again Kaia... :weirdo:

iPatty
Oct 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Solid stuff from Petra. Not sure why these two always have such crazy matches. Glad that Petra has found a way to scrape past her on the past three occasions.

And now...to save the tour. :yeah:

Omega1
Oct 5th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Kvitova good joob.
Now win against Wozniaki.;)

Serenita
Oct 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Welldone Kvitova :clap2:

jiri-nedved
Oct 5th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I wish these 2 would play each other in next slam final, then we know we are going to have a great slam final for 1st time in many years!

hardball
Oct 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM
pity that one. i really hoped she would get her revenge for wimby. i do hope her she'll be able to play in moscow to seal her place in the top 20 by year end.

smarties
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM

I don't agree; Kvitova can really blow you out of the court when she's playing well, much more than Kanepi.

Lulu.
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Kaia. :o
Ugh hopefully Petra does what she's suppose to do.

Shvedbarilescu
Oct 5th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Personally I think Kvitova at her best is too much for Kanepi at her best. At her best Kvitova plays to a top 10, possibly even a top 5 standard. The thing is ,however, this last six months Kanepi has consistently been playing very near her best, bringing a high standard to the court, virtually every match she plays. Kanepi might not play to a top 10 standard, but this year she has been playing to a top 20 standard virtually everytime she steps on the court. In contrast, the days when Kvitova is anything remotely close to her best tennis are far and few inbetween. Especially in the early rounds of tournaments, Kvitova is more likely to play to a 80 to a 100 standard than she is to a top 10 standard.

Simply, I would say Kanepi has been quite unlucky this year that the three times she has run into Kvitova, Petra has been at the top of her game.

Ballbasher
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Personally I think Kvitova at her best is too much for Kanepi at her best. At her best Kvitova plays to a top 10, possibly even a top 5 standard. The thing is ,however, this last six months Kanepi has consistently been playing very near her best, bringing a high standard to the court, virtually every match she plays. Kanepi might not play to a top 10 standard, but this year she has been playing to a top 20 standard virtually everytime she steps on the court. In contrast, the days when Kvitova is anything remotely close to her best tennis are far and few inbetween. Especially in the early rounds of tournaments, Kvitova is more likely to play to a 80 to a 100 standard than she is to a top 10 standard.

Simply, I would say Kanepi has been quite unlucky this year that the three times she has run into Kvitova, Petra has been at the top of her game.
But none of Kaia's matches I have seen lately were anywhere near her best. She played much better in Hasselt '07 and hence even FO '08. Right now, there is too little margin in her game. :shrug:

tennisfan146
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Kvitova is such a confusing player. It seems like she only has very good and very bad days, so you really can't expect something from her. If she happens to have a good day then Wozniacki will be in big trouble.

jiri-nedved
Oct 5th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I think Serena, Kim, Henin and Venus are the only players good enough to beat Kvitova at her best and them 3 will have to play their best to beat her.

lilygotsilly
Oct 20th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Kvitova is such a confusing player. It seems like she only has very good and very bad days, so you really can't expect something from her. If she happens to have a good day then Wozniacki will be in big trouble.

Yes - Kvitova - very confusing , but I just figured something out that may be of interest to you.

I cant remember her whole year right now , but at least in the 2nd half of this season Kvitova has had two good tournaments - Wimbledon and Beijing - and crap the rest of the time. Ive been baffled by her form since wimb - thought maybe fatigue or inj. Usually is the case but as the weeks go by its pretty obvious she's neither. So its either mental or something in her style. Now we all know she goes for her shots -ALL OR NOTHING. Well why did she make all her shots at wimbledon and not again until Beijing. hmmmm..... And finally my brain caught up to my intuition - THE BALLS!!!

Cant believe I didnt think of this earlier - Beijing uses Head balls - they are slower and heavier than a lot of other balls. The women us Head Pro which is even more controllable than the head ATP the men use. Wimbledon uses the special Slazenger which is also a heavy ball - that's a big part of why the clay courters have done better on the grass recently. KVITOVA CANT CONTROL THE WILSONS AND OTHER FAST BALLS THAT HAVE BEEN IN USE SINCE WIMBLEDON! She plays BIG, FLAT and with NO MARGIN = TONS OF ERRORS. HEAVY BALLS HELP HER CONTROL THE ERRORS MORE AND SHE STILL HITS A LOT OF WINNERS.

From her interviews Kvitova doesnt seem to want to think too much about her tennis. She just wants to bang it. Well, until she has a different style of attack she will probably always struggle with faster lighter balls such as the wilsons and the Dunlop Forts.(Even the Roland Garros Dunlops)

jiri-nedved
Oct 20th, 2010, 05:51 PM
she played awful against wozniacki using the heavier ball.

lilygotsilly
Oct 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM
:lol: - Yeah I know - and Serena beat her at wimbledon so there goes that theory:rolleyes:

lilygotsilly
Oct 20th, 2010, 10:17 PM
she played awful against wozniacki using the heavier ball.

sorry for the sarcasm - in all honesty Kvitova isnt near ready to beat the top girls imo. She got pretty close to Serena in wimbledon and yes she beat woz there also , but struggled with her form the whole first half of the year and not susprisingly she found her form on quick hard courts where aggressive defense can be key!

All hard courts give a better bounce than grass - so its easy to get to the balls on hard courts - even with the slowing down of wimbledon the past few years. Im sure Woz got to shots against Kvitova in Beijing that she wouldnt have gotten to on grass - even with a fast court , because the ball bounces just a little higher - even on a slippery hard court.

So what does that mean - it means that Kvitova starts getting frustrated when her winners come back to her so she starts REALLY going for it and Woz just plays defense and lets her hit herself out of the match. Its a shame that Kvitova doesnt ever try some strategy because Woz wasnt even feeling well that week and if Kvitova exercised even a modicum of patience she might have been able to wear woz down a bit. Winners -Errors stat was a amazing - Woz = 3-7; Kvit = 18-44. This was really smart by a sick Woz. She's been working on her offesne lately but when you have a "crazy" like Kvitova just get the balls back and watch her implode.

One more thing - the grass/dirt mix at wimbledon now takes the slice serve really well - that and the more spreading of the grass mix to get more dirt involved plus the heavier balls have made wimbledon accessible to clay courts and Clay power hitters - -you dont have to just have a big Tserve and volley anymore. You can play a little defense (though still not a lot) , hit slice serves, get some returns , etc. I think agassi would have beaten Sampras on this new grass/dirt mix.

anyway - back to Kvitova - she really worked the grass to her advantage and the heavy balls really suit her and she could have won this tournament if she could have avoided a great defensive player on a hard court like Wozniacki or Jankovic. But didnt happen. I think Kvitova should like the Aussie Open wilson balls too (heavier wilson unlike the us open ones), but again she will need to avoid a defensive scrambler that can frustrate her

jiri-nedved
Oct 21st, 2010, 01:13 AM
'she found her form on quick hard courts where aggressive defense can be key'

she never found her form at all. apart from wimbledon it has been a dreadful year for her. i don't think it has anything to do with tennis balls i just think that some days she plays well and other days she plays awful. she REALLY needs a new coach who will make her use other tactics. petra has the same coach as safarova (i think) whos career is in a heavy decline. so he must not be very good.

lilygotsilly
Oct 21st, 2010, 01:45 AM
'she found her form on quick hard courts where aggressive defense can be key'

she never found her form at all. apart from wimbledon it has been a dreadful year for her. i don't think it has anything to do with tennis balls i just think that some days she plays well and other days she plays awful. she REALLY needs a new coach who will make her use other tactics. petra has the same coach as safarova (i think) whos career is in a heavy decline. so he must not be very good.

WOZNIACKI found her form - not Kvitova - yes I agree Kvitova never has found any consistent form this year.
I disagree that balls have nothing to do with it. Its not the end all, but balls do have something to do with it. They helped wild swinger , Dushevina out too and while Kirlenko can play in a lot of different conditions they helped her out too.

Margins are small, details make a difference with all the pro players.

Her coach I really dont know much about , but if he can get her to exercise her brain that would be great. she doesnt seem to be the type that wants to do much more than ball bash - at least from her interviews when she is questioned about strategy - of which for her there is none :confused:

jiri-nedved
Oct 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM
wozniacki did not do anything different than the wimbledon match but this time Kvitova played poorly.

Avelino
Oct 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Kvitova:bounce:

Daruma.
Oct 21st, 2010, 04:33 PM
Kvitova:bounce:

:unsure: Just a little bit late! :lol:

danieln1
Oct 21st, 2010, 05:05 PM
:unsure: Just a little bit late! :lol:

Just three weeks late! :haha: :haha:

Why this match is still on 1st page?

lilygotsilly
Oct 23rd, 2010, 12:41 AM
WOZNIACKI found her form - not Kvitova - yes I agree Kvitova never has found any consistent form this year.
I disagree that balls have nothing to do with it. Its not the end all, but balls do have something to do with it. They helped wild swinger , Dushevina out too and while Kirlenko can play in a lot of different conditions they helped her out too.

Margins are small, details make a difference with all the pro players.

Her coach I really dont know much about , but if he can get her to exercise her brain that would be great. she doesnt seem to be the type that wants to do much more than ball bash - at least from her interviews when she is questioned about strategy - of which for her there is none :confused:

just for fun Ill keep this going :bounce:

Maybe Woz didnt do anything different but with more "bounce" on the hard court (however slight) it enabled Woz to get to balls she wouldnt have gotten to on the grass/dirt therefore frustrating Kvitova who couldnt finish her off as easy. And once kvit starts getting frustrated its error city