PDA

View Full Version : Your Wishlist for the WTA Tour.

Qrystyna
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I know there's alot of us who wish things were done on the tour differently, and that certain aspects of the tour had been well left alone. I doubt anybody will listen to us silly fans, but you never know. Here's my wish list for the changes i'd like to see on the tour.

- Bring back quality points. There's alot of controversy over the #1 ranking and how it seems so much easier to attain by just playing alot and having success in larger events with depleted fields. I think the quality points would make for more accurate rankings. Of course there's always the chance of someone running into a top player who's in very poor form (like Jankovic) and getting some rather undeserved points, but I think it works alot better overall.
- Bring back the old tier system for the tournaments. I thought this was a much better way of separating events than just "premier" and "international". I do agree with the WTA getting rid of the Tier V classification as they did in 2008 after the ITF introduced $100,000 events (and Tier V's were just glorified challenger events anyhow), I think the system worked alot better with Tier I-IV. It also made it seem like there were more events. As well, when we had Tier III-IV events instead of "international", I never heard the disparaging term "mickey mouse event", a term I truly hate since I just find it is disrespectful degrades these smaller events which are really the backbone of the tour (along with the challengers).
- Modify the schedule. Take those small international clay events that happen after Wimbledon, put them into the clay season and extend it by a week or two. Extend the grass court season by a week. Bring back the European indoor season.... it gives the season some coherency, rather than just throwing a bunch of Asian hardcourt events in amongst the few remaning European events at the end of the season. Actually, I think it worked best when they had the Asian hardcourt events (Tier II-IV) after the US Open, leading into the European indoor season. Having the year-end championships also seemed to work better as a constant indoor venue (such as Los Angeles or Munich).
- Get rid of the mandatory events. There's really no point - the top players just skip them anyhow with either no action being taken, or minimal discipline.
- Add some more events in different countries. I'd love to see a tournament in Africa - South Africa already hosts a men's event so why not a women's even too? The same goes for Serbia and Romania - plus, these countries are producing alot of good talent. It also blows my mind that there's no more Belgian events, given that this country produced both Clijsters and Henin (and I guess WHOOPIEmeyer too :lol:)

What else?

jimbo mack
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Add a week off between IW and Miami and put an international event in between them, the new tournament in Elkridge would slot in nicely here

Extend the grass season by 2 weeks before Wimbledon. Perhaps a WTA event Halle and an event in Northern Ireland ?Dublin

Bring back the indoor events on carpet. I would like the fall to look like this: Quebec City, Memphis, Moscow, Copenhagen, Linz, Luxembourg, Paris, Philadelphia and YEC at MSG. All these events to be on CARPET

Downgrade Warsaw and New Haven to International

The tournaments to encourage more attendance by lowering prices, offering deals, better promotion etc

Do away with the green clay events, it's not part of the future for the WTA

For only the grandslams to be mandatory and for players to commit to at least 12 other events of the year of their own choice. Although I still agree that each international should only have 1 top ten player entered

The YEC to go back to a 16 player knock out competition

For more points to be awarded in the slams, particularly the champion

For top 10 players to not play more than 2 events in a row to prevent injury and to prevent players like wozniacki whoring up all the points for reaching endless quarter-finals

Add another clay event in South America and Africa, even if only international

Offer more points in qualifying

DownInAHole
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I'm not smart enough to come up with the solution but it would be great if something could be done to strongly discourage players from playing while they are injured. Of course over a season players are going to pick up minor injuries and that's acceptable but if Agnieska Radwanka's foot injury is as serious as it seems it's ludicrous that she was playing on it. After her retirement in Tokyo it seemed obvious that she was hurt but there she was back on the tour the very next week. It's not good for the players as it potentially shortens careers and it's not good for fans because no one likes to watch people play hurt and have to retire. Yes, you can blame the players but the system seems to be set up in a way that encourages them to play hurt. It just seems silly when players are willing to risk their careers over a few rankings points.

danieln1
Oct 5th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Just bring the fucking European Indoor Season back and get rid of this asian tournaments after the US Open, and get back Pan Pacific Open after the Australian Open, it used to be very successful there!

And it could add more grass events after Roland Garros too...

Sund7101
Oct 5th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Just bring the fucking European Indoor Season back and get rid of this asian tournaments after the US Open, and get back Pan Pacific Open after the Australian Open, it used to be very successful there!

This! I miss the European Indoor Season too.

Toray Pan Pacific just isn't the same outdoors. I loved that indoor tourney.

Also, bring the YEC back to New York and add more grass court tournaments.

Mashabator
Oct 5th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Bring back, Zurich :tears:

AnomyBC
Oct 5th, 2010, 03:11 AM
1. Distribute the ranking points more logically, as per a thread I made on that subject a while back (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=16056980&postcount=321).
2. This isn't just a WTA thing, but add a few weeks between the French Open and Wimbledon with some more grass court tournaments in between.
3. As the OP said, go back to the old Tier system. This new system sucks.
4. Make Grand Slam finals 3 out of 5 sets.
5. As the OP said, eliminate mandatory events.
6. Revise the drug testing rules so fewer players get suspended for stupid bullshit.
7. Make sexy men's magazine photoshoots mandatory for all attractive players.

Jajaloo
Oct 5th, 2010, 03:17 AM
More BYEs to the final of WTA Tour events for JJ.

danieln1
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:38 AM
This! I miss the European Indoor Season too.

Toray Pan Pacific just isn't the same outdoors. I loved that indoor tourney.

Also, bring the YEC back to New York and add more grass court tournaments.

When it was in Madison Square Garden it was just the best, it was always a packed house... after it went to Munich in 2001 it all went downhill really

rockstar
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:46 AM

i miss the euro indoor season too, but what's wrong with the asian tournaments? :rolleyes: you do realise that there already are plenty of tournaments in europe, and none in asia (without this fall asian swing)

skanky~skanketta
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Bring back the old tier system. Seriously. The new one sucks. And fuck away with the mandatory events. WTF is that about?

Danči Dementia
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:58 AM
bring Hingis back :)

RenaSlam.
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Ivanovic.

hawkeye08
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Glam Slams!

Andy.
Oct 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I would make a tour/schedule that would resemble something like this.

Rules
1. The Tour Will consist of a 3 tier system + GS, Fed Cuphttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/#) and YEC
2. Tier 1, 2 and 3
3. There are 9 Tier 1, 9 Tier 2 and 16 Tier 3
4. Top 10 players are not permitted to play tier 3 events unless there is no higher tier event scheduled for that week.
5. Top 10 Player must play at least 5 of the 9 Tier 1 events per year.

Schedule

January- Australian Season (hard)
W1: T3 Brisbane + T3 Auckland
W2: T2 Sydney (32) + T3 Hobart
W3- GS Australian Open
W4- GS Australian Open

February- Fed Cup & Asian Tour (hard)
W1- Fed Cup 1
W2- T3 Bali
W3- T2 Tokyo (32) + T3 in Asia
W4- T1 Beijing (64)

March- Asia, Middle East & Fed Cup (hard)
W1- T3 in Asia
W2- T1 Dubai (64)
W3- T1 Doha (64)
W4- Fed Cup 2

April- European Clay Season Part 1 (clay)
W1- T3 Estoril
W2- T1 Monte Carlo (64)
W3- T3 German Open (32)
W3- W4- T1 Rome (64)

May- European Clay Part 2 (clay & grass)
W1- T3 Strasbourg + T3 Warsaw
W2- GS Roland Garros
W3- GS Roland Garros
W4- T3 Birmingham

June- European Grass Season (grass)
W1- T2 Eastourne(32)+ T3 Hertogenbosch
W2- T3 European Grass Court
W3- GS Wimbledon
W4- GS Wimbledon

July- American Harcourts Part 1 (hard)
W1- T3 Stanford
W2- T2 LA (32)
W3- T1 Indian Wells (64)
W4- T2 Montreal/Toronto (32)

August- American Hardcourts Part 2 (hard)
W1- T1 Miami (64)
W2- T3 New Haven
W3- GS US Open
W4- GS US Open

September- European Indoors Part 1(carpet)
W1- Fed Cup Final
W2- T2 Antwerp (32)
W3- T2 Stuttgart (32)
W4- T1 Moscow (32) + T3 European Indoors

October- European Indoors Part 2 (carpet)
W1 T1 Zurich (32) + T3 European Indoors
W2 T2 Linz + T3 Luxemburg
W3- YEC (top 8 players)
W4- Off Season Begins

* 9 to 10 week off season at least *

Rix643
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Nice ideas all of you, especially with all the added European tournaments.
Just one practical question. Where do you get the money?????

nevetssllim
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Nice ideas all of you, especially with all the added European tournaments.
Just one practical question. Where do you get the money?????

That's why it's called 'wishlist'. It doesn't matter how feasible it is. :p

I really liked the schedule in 2006-07 when you had the indoor Tokyo event, as well as Paris Indoors and Antwerp which both logically followed on to Doha and Dubai. And, as everyone, I loved the indoor season and I liked the Asian hard-court events in Bali, Kolkata, Seoul etc played a supporting role to the European indoor events.

Pops Maellard
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Mandatory sports psychologist examinations and ongoing assessment for those joining the pro tour. The only way to prevent this choking disease is immediate treatment.