PDA

View Full Version : Venus Out for Rest of the Season

akosijepoy
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Check this out

I think it's safe to say Venus will probably be out until next year: http://bit.ly/bFoqQm
26 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Retweeted by TennisReporters and 1 other

:(

Ballbasher
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Oh no. :bigcry:

Uranium
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah expected, Marcell gave us pictures of her on crutches in Hollywood.

brickhousesupporter
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah expected, Marcell gave us pictures of her on crutches in Hollywood.
http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?action=quicksearch&ppid=126005&version=int

This might be a rumor, but I read somewhere that she had knee surgery.

It looks like Elena's YEC streak continues..........:lol:

Noctis
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:39 PM
:tears:

Aaron.
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Where are these random injuries coming from? :o

silyaunWILLIAMS
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Awww well. Come back ready for 20ELEVEN Vee!

silyaunWILLIAMS
Where are these random injuries coming from? :o

The knee! :o

goldenlox
Serena playing Fed Cup with Oudin? Venus is a great Fed Cup player over the years.
US needed her for the final
Get well soon, an all time great

Ferg
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
:scared:

Julian.
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
omg :speakles: Get well soon Vee!

Noctis
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Serena playing Fed Cup with Oudin? Venus is a great Fed Cup player over the years.
US needed her for the final

Oudin-Mattek-Serena-Huber

Goldfrapp
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:44 PM
pity

Uranium
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Mattek disappeared off the face of the Earth again this fall season, so who knows if she'll be there. And Vania earned a spot on that team IMO. So I feel that it should be Serena, King, and then if Beth is injured then obviously Oudin, Huber. If she isn't then who knows.

Shuji Shuriken
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Fuck. Just FUCK!!!! FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

AcesHigh
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
You know what.. fall isn't that kind to Vee anyway. Rest up and have a better AO than this year!! :D

Marcell
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:50 PM
According to WTA Notes & Netcords, Venus Williams has NOTHING on her schedule for rest of the year, including YEC in Doha

Ferg
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM

King is a double slam winner this year, if that isnt enough to get on the team I dunno what is.

Mikey.
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM
:eek:

Temperenka
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Bad news for Venus.

She had a good, solid year and it would have been nice to see her compete at the YEC.

Get better soon, Vee :hug:

See you in 2011 :yeah:

spiceboy
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:57 PM
King is a double slam winner this year, if that isnt enough to get on the team I dunno what is.

Vania lacks versatility. She plays well with Yari (and apparently only in big occasions) but she is a mediocre doubles player with any other player. As much as I dislike Huber, she is a better choice as the doubles player for the team.

akosijepoy
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:01 PM
this surgery is for the best

ExXotikal
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Poor thang, it seems like she can't catch a break. Get well soon Gurl.

Did I heard the word "surgery"?? That means she comes back in february at best doesn't it? I hope it's for the best

Cp6uja
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Only thing is surprise for me is fact that her last match this season (USO SF vs Kim) is actually her best match this year (actually WTA match of the year) where she is just one game close to GS title. At 30 she should to be extremely careful about her health, so this is probably best decision in this circumstances. Personally I think maybe for her will be best to gave up from full schedule next season and just to try to prepare hers body for Wimbledon-USO period. This season in terms of W-L ratio is Venus best since 2003 and she really almost reach #1, but on other hand only notable title which she won this season is Premier-5 Dubai. She should Copycat Clijsters schedule which played seriously only at USO hardcourts this season (including Miami), and of course to add Wimbledon to that list :shrug:

Talking about FED CUP final I think that Americans with Serena Williams, Serena Williams and Serena Huber still have good chances to beat Italians.

ce
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:17 PM
no doubles at YEC :sad:

Break My Rapture
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM
OMG. Get well very soon Vee. :hug:

shoryuken
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Already prepared for this

edificio
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I hope this surgery helps that knee. However, I am sad to not be able to see her at YEC or Fed Cup.

Serenita
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:42 PM
noooo, heal up V.

guapogreg08
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Only thing is surprise for me is fact that her last match this season (USO SF vs Kim) is actually her best match this year (actually WTA match of the year) where she is just one game close to GS title. At 30 she should to be extremely careful about her health, so this is probably best decision in this circumstances. Personally I think maybe for her will be best to gave up from full schedule next season and just to try to prepare hers body for Wimbledon-USO period. This season in terms of W-L ratio is Venus best since 2003 and she really almost reach #1, but on other hand only notable title which she won this season is Premier-5 Dubai. She should Copycat Clijsters schedule which played seriously only at USO hardcourts this season (including Miami), and of course to add Wimbledon to that list :shrug:

Talking about FED CUP final I think that Americans with Serena Williams, Serena Williams and Serena Huber still have good chances to beat Italians.

what the hell does this say?

smarties
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
2 for 1 deal: buy a fake boot and get clutches free :tape:

edificio
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM

She doesn't have a boot on. But I don't really know what you are trying to say anyway.

mauresmofan
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM
If she has had surgery then it's the best thing she could have done - her movement is a key strength

Viktymise
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:55 PM
No surprise.

A-Bond
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Awww o Vee :sad: Just terrible to see her with all those injuries :sad: I'd love to see her coming back strong in January, though Melbourne has never been her favourite GS. It's just a shame, she's such a great player and I was looking forward to see her play in Doha. On the positive note this means that Lenas chances to qualify for Doha are huge, while Vika has a decent chance too.

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Poor Vee :hug: Hopefully the operation will do the trick and she'll be back to 100% for the Aussie Open :bounce: .

Juju Nostalgique
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:11 PM
It's a new trend these days... :o

jefrilibra
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Crutches! :o :tape:

#Lame Joke=Epic Fail!

Inger67
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Okay other than these pictures is there an actual written statement anywhere?! I'm still hopeful that she is just taking extra precautions :sad:

smarties
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Crutches! :o :tape:

#Lame Joke=Epic Fail!

You're not as stupid as you sound; you understood that I meant crutches. Way to go retard :bigclap:

pedropt
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:52 PM
:sad:

The Dawntreader
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Kind of sad to see a prolific champion on the cliff-edge of her career. Injuries are only going to get crueler at her age.

I wish her well.

Sexysova
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:55 PM
get well soon Venus :hug:

M.A.S.L.
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM
no good YEC.

serenafann
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:26 PM
My god...:sad: :( I didn't see that coming. Get well Venus for next year. I love you. :kiss: :hug:

Chakvenus
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM
nooooooooooo :sad: :sad: :sad:
get well soon Vee!
bring your best for 2011!!

hankqq
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
:sad: :( so disappointing. hopefully she'll be ready to go for the AO next year :shrug:

ZODIAC
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Get well soon Vee Ebony Starr!hope to see you early next year...

hurricanejeanne
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Well that sucks, I guess it was something more than just tendonitis.

Get well Venus! See you in Melbourne. :hug:

QueenBee
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM
:eek: no YEC for Venus :sad: will be missed!

btw, Fed Cup final will be more unpredictable and interesting

goat
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Huber can stop sending out the hate messages for the Fed cup then.

s2crux
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Is it a offical new?

Patrick345
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:18 PM
So that means a Janko-bye for everyone at the YEC except for the Woz? :lol:

it-girl
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I hate not seeing her play but I am very glad that she is doing what is best for her knee & overall health. Last year and this year she has really had problems with her knees and it has been painful to see some of her loses as a fan when you can clearly see that she is struggling with injuries. So I know as a player that it is very frustating to lose matches that you feel you should win because you have problems that affect your overall play and confidence. Venus always has strong mental confidence because she knows what she is capable of, where she loses confidence is knowing that the injuries restrict her ability or comfort of being able to play freely without concern.

I really did not think that she would make it as far as she did at the Us Open because she came into it still having knee problems, they even showed her trainer working on her knee. I really thought that she would not make it to the 2nd week but her desire to win and that inner fighting spirit is what kept her there and I was happy about that because she passed my expectations.

The only way that she will have a chance at winning another slam is that she is going to have to stop playing doubles and give her body time to recover. Even she made a statement about since she is not playing doubles she will have time to recover. That is too much playing for someone who has a chronic knee problem. She is still fit enough to win another slam in singles but she is going to have to give her body time to recover. I hope that next year they take a break from doubles.

Anyway get well soon Venus so that you can come back with a vengence.

gmokb
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Hope she gets better real soon. I really don't enjoy tennis without the sisters.:sad:

V's a star
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I hate not seeing her play but I am very glad that she is doing what is best for her knee & overall health. Last year and this year she has really had problems with her knees and it has been painful to see some of her loses as a fan when you can clearly see that she is struggling with injuries. So I know as a player that it is very frustating to lose matches that you feel you should win because you have problems that affect your overall play and confidence. Venus always has strong mental confidence because she knows what she is capable of, where she loses confidence is knowing that the injuries restrict her ability or comfort of being able to play freely without concern.

I really did not think that she would make it as far as she did at the Us Open because she came into it still having knee problems, they even showed her trainer working on her knee. I really thought that she would not make it to the 2nd week but her desire to win and that inner fighting spirit is what kept her there and I was happy about that because she passed my expectations.

The only way that she will have a chance at winning another slam is that she is going to have to stop playing doubles and give her body time to recover. Even she made a statement about since she is not playing doubles she will have time to recover. That is too much playing for someone who has a chronic knee problem. She is still fit enough to win another slam in singles but she is going to have to give her body time to recover. I hope that next year they take a break from doubles.

ITA with this. Its for the best, although i wish she did this last year when the problem started. Im just hoping and praying it will be healed in time for AO. I can deal with missing Beijing and Doha to get rid of this horrible problem but AO to? :fiery: hell nooo.

Lord Choc Ice
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Dammit! Be well soon Vee. :sad: We love you. :hug:

sky20748
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Ok fans, just because she is on crutches does not mean she actually had surgery. It could be she had injections or they are having her use the crutches as precautions. I broke my knee and could not get up on crutches for a month. SO it depends on when (If she did have surgery, when it was done. so until she lets us know, we cannot speculate she had any type of surgery or if she did, it could have been a scope which is less serious. Meaning it is a surgery mostly used to clean up the torn tissues and flush out some things. I had that done as well. so fans dont worry. she is walking on the crutches which is a good sign and not in a wheelchair.

choi15
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:26 AM
This is such a conspiracy...:mad:

Justine --> Serena --> Kim --> Venus

Secretly BFFs, all four of them, making a pact :(

Hardiansf
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:41 AM
You know what.. fall isn't that kind to Vee anyway. Rest up and have a better AO than this year!! :D
But... she had great YEC for the last 2 seasons :sad:

Randy H
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Mattek disappeared off the face of the Earth again this fall season, so who knows if she'll be there. And Vania earned a spot on that team IMO. So I feel that it should be Serena, King, and then if Beth is injured then obviously Oudin, Huber. If she isn't then who knows.

Bethanie's only once in her whole career gone overseas after the US Open, and that was several years ago for 2 tournaments in Europe. In her entire career, she's played only 4 tournaments in Asia (3 times in Tokyo, once in Pattaya). I suppose she prefers not to go so far away for travel, as she's only ever really gone overseas for the Australian Open, and for lead ups into the French and Wimbledon (and even still, she has opted in the past to play clay challengers in the States during the Spring). Kind of a shame in a way, because her ranking and ability is above playing American challengers for 2-3 months and yet she could probably benefit from some extra points in the fall.

I'd like to see her play Tokyo, Beijing, Osaka, or otherwise Linz and Luxembourg. Seems silly to not play any tournaments after Quebec, but maybe in a way it's better for her as she has been injury prone anyway.

jimmy_the_greek
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:01 AM
vee:sad:

Paneru
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Get well soon Venus! :hug:

edificio
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Ok fans, just because she is on crutches does not mean she actually had surgery. It could be she had injections or they are having her use the crutches as precautions. I broke my knee and could not get up on crutches for a month. SO it depends on when (If she did have surgery, when it was done. so until she lets us know, we cannot speculate she had any type of surgery or if she did, it could have been a scope which is less serious. Meaning it is a surgery mostly used to clean up the torn tissues and flush out some things. I had that done as well. so fans dont worry. she is walking on the crutches which is a good sign and not in a wheelchair.

OUCH!!! :sad:

Basically, we really have no idea what is going on with Venus's knee, but I don't think the crutches bode well.

friendsita
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Om... V *cries*

colt13
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:39 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/azetc/articles/2010/10/02/20101002phoenix-bethanie-mattek-sands-womens-tennis.html

From yesterday's paper. And one of the more important statements.

Because of her success this year, Mattek-Sands has also been announced as one of the members for the U.S. Fed Cup team when they compete in the finals against defending champions Italy in San Diego this November.

However, because Venus and Serena Williams intend to play in this year's championship match, Mattek-Sands' involvement likely will be relegated to the sidelines. Although their participation makes the U.S. an overwhelming favorite to win their first title since 2000, it's a decision that provokes mixed feelings for Mattek-Sands.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 5th, 2010, 01:43 AM
This blows! Hope she recovers in time for the Australian Open!

Infiniti2001
Oct 5th, 2010, 02:36 AM

This makes me see things differently :cool: Get well soon Miss Vee :hug:

DefyingGravity
Oct 5th, 2010, 02:47 AM
You're not as stupid as you sound; you understood that I meant crutches. Way to go retard :bigclap:

As a future educator in a public school system, I take offense to this word.

jrollaneres25
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:13 AM
:speakles::sobbing:

winone23
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Get well Venus

Juju Nostalgique
Oct 5th, 2010, 11:06 AM
South African Liezel Horn must be happy! :weirdo:

VW_fan
Oct 5th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Come back stronger next year Vee :) And take those AO and FO tittles back home ;)

cn ireland
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Oh no poor Venus:(!

Miss Atomic Bomb
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Get well soon Vee :hug:

ZODIAC
Oct 5th, 2010, 10:29 PM
get well soon Ebony Starr!

rjd1111
Oct 6th, 2010, 04:07 AM

Bethanie is doing well in doubles and her singles ranking is up.

She has passed Oudin and is now the highest ranked American

after V & S.

englando08
Oct 6th, 2010, 04:20 AM
i heard she may not play the aussie open as well...

V's a star
Oct 6th, 2010, 05:10 AM

From who? or where?

shoryuken
Oct 6th, 2010, 05:36 AM

I wouldn't be surprised :(. She'll need time to recuperate.

Slutiana
Oct 6th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Stop with the melodrama. :lol:

Stamp Paid
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Aww poor Vinas.
Get well soon bb

Direwolf
Oct 6th, 2010, 09:05 AM

:o

on side note...

I heard she will come back @Miami

:lol::lol::lol:

edificio
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
It is official.

APNewsBreak: Venus Williams' 2010 season over (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101006/ap_on_sp_te_ne/ten_venus_williams_season_over_3/print)
AP
By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Tennis Writer Howard Fendrich, Ap Tennis Writer – 7 mins ago

Venus Williams is done for the season because of a left knee injury that has sidelined her for most of the second half of 2010.

In a statement released to The Associated Press on Wednesday, the seven-time Grand Slam champion said she is "very disappointed to announce that I will be unable to play" in the WTA Tour Championships at the end of October, and the Fed Cup final between the United States and Italy at San Diego in November.

"I have been getting treatment and therapy on my knee and have been making progress, but unfortunately must continue to keep weight off my knee for the short term and won't be ready to return to competition in 2010," Williams said. "I am looking forward to returning to full health in time for the start of 2011 season and hopefully having the opportunity to play in both the Fed Cup and WTA Championships next year."

She is No. 3 in this week's WTA rankings and went 38-7 with two titles in singles, and 18-1 with three titles in doubles this season, earning more than $2.5 million in prize money.

But Williams hasn't played anywhere since losing in three sets to eventual champion Kim Clijsters in the U.S. Open semifinals on Sept. 10. That will turn out to have been the 30-year-old American's only tournament appearance over the final six months of the year.

After being upset in the Wimbledon quarterfinals on June 29 by a woman ranked 82nd, Williams was out of action until playing in the first round of the U.S. Open on Aug. 30. That's because Williams sprained her left kneecap shortly before she was supposed to enter a hard-court tournament at Cincinnati in early August. The injury kept her out of another U.S. Open tuneup at Montreal that month, too.

It was an up-and-down season :rolleyes: for Williams, who has been using crutches to keep weight off her left leg.

She was one of two women who reached at least the fourth round at all four Grand Slam tournaments in 2010 — but she made it past the quarterfinals only at the U.S. Open.

Her singles titles both came in February — at Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on hard courts and at Acapulco, Mexico, on clay. Her doubles titles, all while paired with younger sister Serena, came at the Australian Open, French Open and Madrid.

In August, Venus and Serena — who has been sidelined since having surgery on her right foot in July — both told the U.S. Tennis Association they planned to play against Italy in the Nov. 6-7 Fed Cup final on an indoor hard court at the San Diego Sports Arena.

Neither Williams has competed for the U.S. Fed Cup team since 2007. Venus Williams owns a 17-4 career record in Fed Cup action, including 14-2 in singles. She last participated in the 2007 semifinals.

The USTA still expects Serena Williams to be on the team for the matches against Italy.

The rest of the U.S. roster includes 2009 U.S. Open quarterfinalist Melanie Oudin, Bethanie Mattek-Sands and leading doubles player Liezel Huber.

The United States hasn't won a Fed Cup title since 2000 and lost to Italy in last year's final.

No need to read anything but the highlighted portion. :rolleyes:

I hope the treatment can extend her career. It will be a sad day when Venus retires.

The Witch-king
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Aww poor Vinas.
Get well soon bb

did u just call her a black bitch:rolleyes::wavey::confused::mad:

Matt01
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM
^ :lol:

I wish to Venus a speedy and full recovery :wavey:

Onjanae.
Oct 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
did u just call her a black bitch:rolleyes::wavey::confused::mad:

:haha:

Get better soon Venus, look forward to seeing you back in 2011.

Calypso
Oct 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM
What a season. *sigh*

Stamp Paid
Oct 6th, 2010, 11:18 PM
did u just call her a black bitch:rolleyes::wavey::confused::mad:http://i53.tinypic.com/149qag2.gif

50Sense
Oct 7th, 2010, 12:34 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/149qag2.gif

:sobbing:

Gdsimmons
Oct 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/149qag2.gif

:rolls::rolls:

jrollaneres25
Oct 7th, 2010, 02:42 AM
this surgery is for the best

Yea, if Venus had sugery on her knee, that means that she is really determined to come back fitter and stronger to Stack up more Wimbledon titles. She knows that she can't have a persistent nagging knee if she want's to beat Queen Serena at her own Queen Tournament

jrollaneres25
Oct 7th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Only thing is surprise for me is fact that her last match this season (USO SF vs Kim) is actually her best match this year (actually WTA match of the year)

Um... No:help:

Leo_DFP
Oct 7th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Actually as a fan of Venus I think this is good news. I agree with jroll. The woman is 30. If she wants to keep playing tennis, she can't keep doing it hobbling around. Getting surgery, she at least gives herself a chance at future major titles. I hope the surgery was successful and she is recovered by Oz. :)

Who knows when either Williams will retire. They could perhaps continue to play as part-time players for years and years and years. It's not like there's a whole heap of talent coming up to make them leave any sooner.

Leo_DFP
Oct 7th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Um... No:help:

4real. Omg, that tiebreak. I still can't even believe it happened. It's just...so...I...........died.

jrollaneres25
Oct 7th, 2010, 02:47 AM

No you messed up and got pwned.

Just take it like a man:angel:

englando08
Oct 7th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Well her statement didn't quite say she had surgery, I advise that she has surgery instead of just getting treatment. It will help her in the long run. I feel like that if she just gets treatment, her knee problems will reappear.

jrollaneres25
Oct 7th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Actually as a fan of Venus I think this is good news. I agree with jroll. The woman is 30. If she wants to keep playing tennis, she can't keep doing it hobbling around. Getting surgery, she at least gives herself a chance at future major titles. I hope the surgery was successful and she is recovered by Oz. :)

Who knows when either Williams will retire. They could perhaps continue to play as part-time players for years and years and years. It's not like there's a whole heap of talent coming up to make them leave any sooner.

I know right!:lol: I mean, look at Krumm or whatever. The 40-year old. Still playing. I mean even Navratilova won a round in 2003 at Wimbledon as a 50-year old:lol:

And Did you hear Serena on Oprah the other Day? She said that she was serious about not hanging up her racket anytime soon. That sounds like at least 7 more years:lol:

jrollaneres25
Oct 7th, 2010, 03:03 AM
4real. Omg, that tiebreak. I still can't even believe it happened. It's just...so...I...........died.

:haha:

Ooh Emm Gee, you should have seen the disgust on my face.
:shout::hysteric::speakles:

Those where some of the faces

jrollaneres25
Oct 7th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Well her statement didn't quite say she had surgery, I advise that she has surgery instead of just getting treatment. It will help her in the long run. I feel like that if she just gets treatment, her knee problems will reappear.

I'm soo with you on that. But I don't know what she fully means about the kind of treatment that she's getting. Hopefully whoever is working with her knows the absolute best decision for her