PDA

View Full Version : When Caroline reaches no1 will Jelena still be the worst no1 EVA ?

Just Do It
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Just wondering ?

Uranium
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
No.

GreenGrass
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
No. Safina will be.

The Witch-king
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Depends if Caroline gets pwned 6-1 6-4 in the 3rd rd of the next slam.

frenchie
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Jankovic >>>>>>> Safina

anyway

AcesHigh
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM
Ana Ivanovic was the worst #1 ever

Jorn
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
It depends if JJ again beat Caro 6-2 6-2 in YEC SF... ;)

Ferg
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Well at least JJ had a slam final in her points.

Beat
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Jankovic >>>>>>> Safina

so not true. not when they were no. 1 anyway.

Jose.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
No.

And thanks for spotting the only positive thing on Wozniacki being No. 1. :kiss:

Mish
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Ana definitly was worst number 1!!! She won number 1 with her game, but she wasn2 number one wit her game. She was just terible in thet 12 weeks!!!!

TennisFan66
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM

I know, its the most important thing in the world EVER. Slam F then #1 or #1 then slam F .. its like night and day, up and down, right and wrong ... Ufffffff .....:rolleyes:

justineheninfan
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM
How can she be when Safina is the worst. I would even say Ana is worse if Ana didnt win that French.

Beat
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
would even say Ana is worse if Ana didnt win that French.

err, but she did.

AcesHigh
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
How can she be when Safina is the worst. I would even say Ana is worse if Ana didnt win that French.

Ana's record as #1 is worst I've seen.

Sergius
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:40 PM

This:worship:

swim4life227
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:53 PM

I don't believe she did when she initially achieved it.

olivero
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Jeca > Safina > Caro
when it comes to being a better #1

Chakvenus
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
I don't believe she did when she initially achieved it.

yeah you're right.
i think she first got it for one random week in the summer after Ivanovic's LA points came off. then she lost it that very next week after she lost to Cibulkova at the Rogers Cup.

hankqq
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:09 PM

not when she 1st became #1 :shrug: JJ became #1 in the beginning of August 2008, a few weeks before the USO. During this time she had 2 GS SF, 1 GS QF and 1 GS rd16 result. She also only won 1 title (Rome), though she had a number of final and semi results at big events. The worst stat-she finished 2007 with 6 straight losses. When Jankovic regained the #1 ranking later in 2008, she had the USO final points though.

If Wozniacki becomes #1 this week, at least she'll have 5 titles (2 of which are big events) along with some finalist/semifinals results in her points. Her slam points are 1 SF, 1 QF and 2 rd16 results.

So looking at the records of Wozniacki and Jankovic, it's hard to say who is better or worse. I guess slight edge to Jankovic because she has more wins over the best of the best.

DragonFlame
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:10 PM
Ana ivanovic was the worst no.1 when she actually became no.1, but due to her slamwin won't be considered the worst player.

This means its either between jankovic and safina right now, and no matter how jankovic fans or safina haters twist this, safina DEFINETLY had the better results. More slamfinals, more titles, more everything. Even if she underperformed far in those slamfinals, she did get there.

If wozniacki becomes no.1 right now she'll definetly have the worst credentials, but she's only 20. It's just a matter of time before she passes the likes of jankovic and safina IMO. She's destined for more.

ptkten
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:14 PM

I think the answer to the question depends on whether the question is asking who had the worst results in the 52 week period prior to becoming # 1, or the worst results after becoming # 1.

Volcana
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Just wondering ?Hard to say. JJ was the least accomplished #1 to date. One career slam final!?!? (Safina made thre slam finals and two semis out of seven in a row.) But JJ won two mandatories, and Rome twice under the previous system. So she has four 'big' wins to Caro's ... zero.

Besides, reaching the #1 ranking without a slam final in the past 12 months, or winning one of whatever are the biggest tournament under that system is ....

She won a 2nd level Pemier. Every bit as good as Venus, the current #3. But that's the problem. Nobody equates #2 or #3 with 'best.

R16, QF, R16, SF at the slams, don't win a mandatory, and the math calls you the best player on the tour!?!?!

In a way, I donnt mind, because the ranking are meaningless in determining the best player, and this forces more people to acknowledge that. But I don;t want the rankings to be THIS meaningless.

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
There are a lot of ways to look at it.
The worst 52 weeks that led to #1.
The worst results while being #1
Total career

shoparound
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Ana was the worst... her record AS the #1 was bad. Her French was joke draw

Volcana
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Ana Ivanovic was the worst #1 everActually won a slam, made two other slam finals, and won IW. Toss in Montreal 2006, when it was a top tier tournament. She wasn't good as long as JJ has been, but one slam final > a slam WIN plus two slam finals?

That goes kinda hard.

AnomyBC
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
Caro will be a better #1 than Jelena and Dinara because unlike them she's actually going to win a slam :)

Lucemferre
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Wozniacki will be the worst but she will redeem herself because she is young and the tour sucks.

danieln1
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Yes.

Nicolás89
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hard to say. JJ was the least accomplished #1 to date. One career slam final!?!? (Safina made thre slam finals and two semis out of seven in a row.) But JJ won two mandatories, and Rome twice under the previous system. So she has four 'big' wins to Caro's ... zero.

Toronto and Tokyo.

Add Beijing next week.

MakarovaFan
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
It really depends how you take the question.....worst AS number 1,or worst player to BE number.....career wise/leading up to their runs both Jelena and Dinara trumph Caroline's lead up(aka 52 weeks).

Nicolás89
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Anyway, lost are the days when the weakest number 1 was Capriati. :o

MakarovaFan
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:26 PM
Worse yet(and of all)....Caroline still hasnt made a DENT against the top players(yet to beat Serena,Kim,Venus,Jelena OR Justine),that stat says alot!! In fact the only "top" player she has ever beaten is Maria, albeit a subpar ranked outside top 15 Maria lol.

Sir Stefwhit
Since the rankings take into account how you played over a 52-week cycle, when you're looking at how a player performed while number one I think you need to take into account what got them to number one. You can't just look at how they played when they got the ranking because that's not what got the player there. Looking at it this way Ivanovic has a slam under belt. I'm not sure how you can look at it any other way to be honest- again w/out the previous results there would be no number one ranking.

Caro would be one of the weaker ones for sure- but she's young so she's got time on her side. I don't think she'll rank as the weakest when it's said and done, but if she were to grab the top ranking now she'd be below Safina and Jankovic.

Bosco123
Toronto and Tokyo.

Add Beijing next week.

no, honey, she talked about primier mandatori events which are much bigger then primier 5.

Jelena has 4 of those, Caso hes neal :sad:

Nicolás89
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
no, honey, she talked about primier mandatori events which are much bigger then primier 5.

Jelena has 4 of those, Caso hes neal :sad:

Rome IS a premier 5.

Just Do It
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:31 PM
Rome IS a premier 5.

Thats why he said old system, because when JJ won Rome titles premier 5 events didnt exist.

Nicolás89
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Thats why he said old system, because when JJ won Rome titles premier 5 events didnt exist.

Rome was never mandatory. At the time Jankovic became number one she had 2 Romes and 1 Charleston all tier I non mandatory and as big and important as Toronto and Tokyo. Done.

DownInAHole
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Why don't we wait and see if she actually becomes number one? She has played a lot of tennis this year and it is possible that she will lose her first or second match in Beijing.

Potato
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
Her H2H against top players is dismal, but she is quite young, and seriously does not have ANY competition with the youngsters. When she first becomes #1, she will officially be the worst world #1, but she doesn't have much competition after these few years.

The Daviator
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:43 PM

Her resume as #1 was greater than JJ's and Safina's (and Caro's). Slam >>> No Slam.

And she was injured during her spell as #1.

Just Do It
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Rome was never mandatory. At the time Jankovic became number one she had 2 Romes and 1 Charleston all tier I non mandatory and as big and important as Toronto and Tokyo. Done.

You forgot slam final ?

Nicolás89
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
You forgot slam final ?

Sorry but she got that AFTER she became number 1. :sad:

DimaDinosaur
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Ana Ivanovic is the worst #1

Olórin
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
JJ is the worst YE#1, but both Ana and Dinara were worse #1s in general.

gc-spurs
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:11 PM
Why don't we wait and see if she actually becomes number one? She has played a lot of tennis this year and it is possible that she will lose her first or second match in Beijing.

If she loses early in China, it won't be because she's tired. Girl is a freaking energizer bunny. And then you try to shoot the bunny, but you just keep missing cause it just keeps going.

JJ all the way
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:19 PM
Hey, atleast when Caro becomes #1, we won't complain about her abysmal record against former #1s......when she loses, we can just say she beat herself and count that as a win against herself!! She can get alot of world #1 wins that way.

DownInAHole
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:26 PM
If she loses early in China, it won't be because she's tired. Girl is a freaking energizer bunny. And then you try to shoot the bunny, but you just keep missing cause it just keeps going.

That's true but everyone gets tired if they play too much. Even Nadal used to look a bit tired by the time the US Open arrived.

Matt01
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:06 AM

They're not much bigger. For a win at a Mandatory Event you get 1000 points, for winning a P5 you get 900.

gc-spurs
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:40 AM
That's true but everyone gets tired if they play too much. Even Nadal used to look a bit tired by the time the US Open arrived.

I thought that would happen to Sunshine since she played 4 tournaments leading up to USO and went the distance in 3... sadly no.

SwissMiss19
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM

I second this one!

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:53 AM

someone who wins a slam to achieve #1 is the worst? :lol: love the logic

Illusionist
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:54 AM
You think they care if they are the best no.1 or the worst? :lol:
Once they're there they are gonna enjoy it. Although, Safina didn't really seem to enjoy. JJ did, and Caro will enjoy it. She's just that kind of personality. It will be interesting to see her play once she's there. It can go wrong as Safina, but I have a feeling she'll really grab it, but still can't see her win a slam with Kim, Serena and Henin in the draws.

Yilongru
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Caro will get 16 Grand Slams and always be better than Jelena:smash:

MakarovaFan
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Sorry but she got that AFTER she became number 1. :sad:
Not really,Ivanovic was number 1 going into the open and Serena after the open....So technically you could say she got that before she became number 1!!

Volcana
Oct 4th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Toronto and Tokyo.

Add Beijing next week.Tokyo 2008 = $175,000. That's not even what we now term an Internationale

Montreal 2010 = $2,000,000. Is that 'big'? The way the tour is currently constructed? The 'mandatories' are the 'big' tournaments. The $2,000,000 tournaments are .... not Tier II's, but not defined as elite tournaments either. You wanna call that 'big', okay, but it's not equal to Miami

I think there's not a lot to chose from between JJ, Safina and Woz as #1's. They've all earned the spot, won a little bit big, but not enough to be notable historically. If we look at the #1's born since 1979, this group isn't even in the conversation. But Wozniacki has time, timing and health on her side. Her cohort has done little, and the cohort ahead of her is injury-ridden. She could wind up wining more slams than Sharapova, and not be anywhere near as dominant a player.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:34 AM
If wozniacki becomes no.1 right now she'll definetly have the worst credentials, but she's only 20. It's just a matter of time before she passes the likes of jankovic and safina IMO. She's destined for more.

Ana was 20 also when she was #1

Leo_DFP
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:43 AM
There are a lot of ways to look at it.
The worst 52 weeks that led to #1.
The worst results while being #1
Total career

This. People in this thread are using different scales.

Certainly Ana's results AT #1 are the worst ever. She got injured while simultaneously struggling to deal with the pressure, and it's been downhill ever since.

However, this question is clearly a subjective one. Of Safina, Ivanovic, Jankovic, and Wozniacki, who is the worst #1? In my mind, it's Safina. In my mind, she's the worst tennis player of that group. Least amount of talent. Most painful to watch. Biggest embarrassment for the sport. Safina hands down.

ZODIAC
Oct 4th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Caro has time to improve and will win a slam next year...

selesisqueen
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:23 AM
However, this question is clearly a subjective one. Of Safina, Ivanovic, Jankovic, and Wozniacki, who is the worst #1? In my mind, it's Safina. In my mind, she's the worst tennis player of that group. Least amount of talent. Most painful to watch. Biggest embarrassment for the sport. Safina hands down.

I agree. I dont care about all the stats as an actual tennis player Safina is by far that worst of that group.

ZODIAC
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I agree. I dont care about all the stats as an actual tennis player Safina is by far that worst of that group. SHE CALLED HERSELF CHICKEN IN FRONT OF MILLIONS:tape:

Caralenko
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:03 AM
SHE CALLED HERSELF CHICKEN IN FRONT OF MILLIONS:tape:

And? :cuckoo: What does that have to do with her tennis?

Carotastrophe
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:11 AM
yes. Even safina and caro has been in a Slam final

indicapuja
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:53 AM
when they were no.1

safina >>> jankovic >>> wozniacki (possible) >>> ivanovic

denny5576
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:45 AM
It is not matter of opinions. Tennis is sport and in every sport the criteria is wins and titles. So the data clearly shows - JJ is the worst.

Yilongru
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:48 AM
It is not matter of opinions. Tennis is sport and in every sport the criteria is wins and titles. So the data clearly shows - JJ is the worst.
what is the fxxk data :tape:

MakarovaFan
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Didnt she win like 3 of her 5 events when she became number 1 after the USO?? W Tokyo-W Stuttgart-W Moscow-SF YEC-4rd Australian Open....thats hardly what i consider bad;scratch that she was number 2 during Tokyo but still hardly the worst AS number 1! AS number 1 Ana was by far the worst,but as we all know it matters how you got their in the first place so with that in mind Ana is in no way the worst,that would go to Caroline

C. W. Fields
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:28 AM

If Caro loses early I don't think it'll be from tiredness. But I'm a bit worried about her back. She had her back taped at the end of Tokyo and her serve didn't have it's usual punch against Elena. Neither Caro or Piotr has said anything about it (at least that I've heard) so it's hard to tell what the problem is. Hopefully it's just a precautionary taping because of some stiffness/soreness which a few days of rest will cure.

DownInAHole
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:37 AM
If Caro loses early I don't think it'll be from tiredness. But I'm a bit worried about her back. She had her back taped at the end of Tokyo and her serve didn't have it's usual punch against Elena. Neither Caro or Piotr has said anything about it (at least that I've heard) so it's hard to tell what the problem is. Hopefully it's just a precautionary taping because of some stiffness/soreness which a few days of rest will cure.

I could be wrong but didn't she have her back worked on at the US Open or possibly in Montreal? I seem to recall and injury timeout concerning her back but afterwards she played fine.

C. W. Fields
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I could be wrong but didn't she have her back worked on at the US Open or possibly in Montreal? I seem to recall and injury timeout concerning her back but afterwards she played fine.

You're probably thinking about her MTO in 1st set against Cibulkova at New Haven. But the problem then was in the small of her back while this recent taping was higher up so it's probably not the same problem.
http://www.tennisforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55746&d=1282798933
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt9Fcgh-lYs (at 1:33 and later)

ZODIAC
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:15 AM
And? :cuckoo: What does that have to do with her tennis?
a lot because tennis is a mental game.. since then she has struggled:p calling herself chicken implied that she is kinda weak...a true champion will never say that or constantly look at the coach for validation.:p

bandabou
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hmmm...time will tell. Hasn't played the elite players this year, so hard to gauge how good she really has become.

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I also thought her serve against Lena was not what it could be.

She had 2 days off now, if she loses, she gets a rest before the YEC

Hian
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Yes.
Jankovic's results were better than hers.
C'mon Caro, retire :hearts:

Mountain Ana
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Well, if Caro gets to No1 now, then NO.
But if she gets there after wining YEC, maybe...

Mountain Ana
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM
when they were no.1

safina >>> jankovic >>> wozniacki (possible) >>> ivanovic

How can you say that, when Wozniacki isn't a No 1... How do you know she won't be better than them all... LOL

JamieOwen3
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM
who cares :lol:

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1206480 (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1206480/caroline-wozniacki-dancing.html)

tenn_ace
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Yes, yes, yes. Wozniacki is the worst. Can't wait for Serena's comment...................................... :haha:

kman
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Well, if Caro gets to No1 now, then NO.
But if she gets there after wining YEC, maybe...

Regardless, shouldn't assessment be made once Caro has (become and) dethroned as #1. I mean, what if Caroline wins 3 slams during her (presumed) #1 reign or stays there for 60+ weeks (or both)? That would make for a pretty good #1 player.

Otherwise the question should be "When Caroline reaches no1 will Jelena still have the least worthy claim to #1 spot EVA?"

pwayne
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Yes, Jelena would still be the worst ever number 1 at time of entry. Now, if Caroline would not have won Montreal and Tokyo.

Jajaloo
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Yes, yes, yes. Wozniacki is the worst. Can't wait for Serena's comment...................................... :haha:

I think it will go a little something like this...

"If you hold 3 grand slam titles, maybe you should be #1, but not on the WTA Tour obviously. So my motivation is to maybe win another grand slam and stay #2 I guess.

I see myself as #2, that's where I am. I think Caroline did a great job to get to #1. She won New Haven and Copenhangen...

http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif"

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1206480 (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1206480/caroline-wozniacki-dancing.html) Thats one way to watch tennis

ZODIAC
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:39 PM

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1206480 (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1206480/caroline-wozniacki-dancing.html):hearts:thats sweet...I LOVE HAPPY FAMILIES:hearts:

ZODIAC
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I think it will go a little something like this...

"If you hold 3 grand slam titles, maybe you should be #1, but not on the WTA Tour obviously. So my motivation is to maybe win another grand slam and stay #2 I guess.

I see myself as #2, that's where I am. I think Caroline did a great job to get to #1. She won New Haven and Copenhangen...

http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif"Serena will never say that because she likes Caro and is always wishing her well:rolleyes:they go out to dinner and were together at that exho in the Caribbean and having fun with Caro s family:rolleyes:the sisters like her remember Venus used to play doubles with Caro and never have a bad word to say about her....she is likeable

pwayne
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Serena will never say that because she likes Caro and is always wishing her well:rolleyes:they go out to dinner and were together at that exho in the Caribbean and having fun with Caro s family:rolleyes:the sisters like her remember Venus used to play doubles with Caro and never have a bad word to say about her....she is likeable

Agree completely.

Polikarpov
Oct 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Ana has the worst record AS the world number one. But if we're talking about the the worst player who managed to reach the top rank, it's a toss up between Safina and Jankovic.