PDA

View Full Version : Beijing R1: M. Sharapova def. T. Pironkova 6-4 7-6

Cakeisgood
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
Looked oogly stats wise and took over two hours for a straight setter!

Poova still mucking about I suppose.

Raz0r
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
:banana:

Craig.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
You pathetic choker.

shaktincredible
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
ugly match. she will lose in the next round :hysteric:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Horrible. I don't know how you won, Maria. Thank you Tsveti for gifting so many errors. Both were terrible. At least she finished it with a backhand winner. Maria is such a choker nowadays, choked 2 consecutive match points at 5-4, trailed 5-6. Led 3-0 in the tiebreak, then 4-4, choked one match point in the tiebreak and finally took it. She also DFed and lose game points and break points with her big errors.

goldlion
Wasted 2 MP at 5-4 40-15

BP Conversion is still shocking low.

Poor form.

Keadz
22 winners 22 unforced errors for Maria
11 winners 8 unforced errors (all at important times) for Pironkova.

Maria was trying to hand that match to Piro and she gave it back to her with a simple backhand error and a forehand error in the tie break. sigh...

Rafito.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
Thank god, I guess.

TheBoiledEgg
lucky she got it over in 2.... PHEW :D
that was looking like a shit fest out there :o
honestly Masha ???? from *3-0 in 2nd to this ?

Craig.

Maria was trying to hand that match to Piro and she gave it back to her with a simple backhand error and a forehand error in the tie break. sigh...

22 errors only? :spit: No way.

goldlion
I was hoping to watch her play but the stream was pathetic.

Anyway can give the statistics?? Winners/Unforced Errors?

goldlion
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:03 AM

Must be something wrong with the counting.

In this messy match, it can't be that less

Keadz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:03 AM
22 errors only? :spit: No way.

Thats what my CCTV stream said, but I agree...seemed a lot worse. Maybe the stats people were being generous :p

Cakeisgood
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'm honestly so worried about Maria. Where is that mental clutchness she has always possessed?

Lachy
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Horrific...absolutely horrific...what has happened to you Masha :sobbing::sobbing::sad::smash:

atominside
Those stats are sooo epically wrong... she must have had atleast 35 UF. 5 aces and 7 dfs.

Mrs. Dimitrova
I'm honestly so worried about Maria. Where is that mental clutchness she has always possessed?

It's gone. :o

Feyd
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
Chinese TV sucked at counting errors and winners last year. I suppose they did not improve over one year at all.

VIKA?
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
Terrible match:lol:

well done, Maria. I guess:)

goldlion
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
Nothing to worry about Maria, she's not gonna win this trophy anyways

Spiritof42
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Sharapova has become SO bad at closing out matches... :help:

Match stats from Chinese TV:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7295/mstp2010beijing.jpg

Although I didn't keep count myself, the UE totals seem very charitable to say the least. :lol:

homogenius
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:18 AM
Maria and JJ need wins to get some confidence back.Maria seems in deeper shit than the Empress though.

DownInAHole
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Take heart, Sharapova fans, a win is a win and she's got Elena Vesnina in the next round. Their only previous meeting was in the 2008 Australian Open and Maria destroyed her 6-0 6-3. Obviously Maria is not playing anywhere near the quality of tennis she was then but she should still be able to beat Vesnina handily.

Lord Choc Ice
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Take heart, Sharapova fans, a win is a win and she's got Elena Vesnina in the next round. Their only previous meeting was in the 2008 Australian Open and Maria destroyed her 6-0 6-3. Obviously Maria is not playing anywhere near the quality of tennis she was then but she should still be able to beat Vesnina handily.

Vesnina has improved a lot since then and Maria...well, let's just say she hasn't. :lol: Lena V's a huge choker but I wouldn't underestimate. Grandma Date beat Sharapova in Tokyo remember?

Anyway, go Masha. :cheer: I don't care too much about the rest of this year now. Bring on '011. Maria can start by adding points at the AO. :lol:

Lachy
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
:help: :help: :help:

Huntress55
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Well she won, so yay :D

denny5576
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Is it surprising no one mentioned that she is ill?

And no one noticed she took pills several times during the match?

Mike was desperate to signal her to take the pills.

The main rule is that before analyzing and criticizing the match and the players' performance it is mandatory to establish the health status of the players.

Maria should be congratulated for playing this match. Many in her place would not even bother to come to Beijing...

Julian.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
Thank God you won but do better in the next round please.

VW_fan
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
Not the best match from both girls ;) Glad Maria got the win :)

Break My Rapture
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:22 AM
At least she finished in straights. Not easy to play a 3 setter when you're feeling sick. So well done, Maria. :yeah: Please win the next round too.

joćo.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
A win is a win?! :shrug:

Ballbasher
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Maria :yeah: :inlove:
Tsveti :( :hug:

mariavikafan
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Sharapova has become SO bad at closing out matches... :help:

Stats you posted are so wrong in every way:lol:anyway I'm not expecting much from Maria she is really in pain in every match she plays she pushes on match points, she is choking badly even against scrubs.
Azarenka will take care of her.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
She's taking pills? Guess she's really sick then. Thought she said "I'm not feeling well" at the end too. You can hear her coughing. :o Knew it, didn't want her to play but guess she has to. :weirdo:

DownInAHole
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:07 AM

The main rule is that before analyzing and criticizing the match and the players' performance it is mandatory to establish the health status of the players.

Maria should be congratulated for playing this match. Many in her place would not even bother to come to Beijing...

Is this another viral illness? It seems like a few players always get sick at the Asian tournaments.

toby345
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Bring back Yuri :hysteric:

denny5576
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Is this another viral illness? It seems like a few players always get sick at the Asian tournaments.
It is not only Maria who became ill in Tokyo. A virus was mentioned as a reason, but no more details were given.

goldlion
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Bring back Yuri :hysteric:

No Yuri won't be flying with Maria here and there and he doesn't have to.

Just because he's not traveling with Maria doesn't mean he's given up giving advices.

He's still a distant part of him yet very close relationship between them.

It is just how the way it works for them.

Mashabator
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Well....at least she won :unsure:

Hian
Masha :)

Sgt.Timmykinz
Wow Maria is shit!

The Witch-king
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:38 AM
]

Since when?

jimmy_the_greek
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Maria had chances to close this match off early, has a habit of giving her fans a heart attack before she is able to win!

alfonsojose
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
Is She banging Joyce? Maybe she got the flu from him:(

eDonkey
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:35 PM

For God's sake! :o
She's now fighting for a top 16 seeding at the AO (and thus escaping a top 8 seeded in the 3rd round).
Don't equal the GO infections with light cough and a throut that is a little sore.:o

Tsvetana playing awful, even worse than Masha.Pointless shots for her - reducing the speed of the ball just to pass it to Masha, don't really get that.And the last serve low speed was odd again - next was a gracious diagonal shot from Masha!

The only thing that deserves clap in the match is Tsvetana's comeback - from 1-3 and later from 5-4 to 5-6 (with lots of matchballs saved).But not so sure whether Tsvetana won them or Maria lost them.Lots of DF for Maria in the most important points (as 40-A for Tsvetana).And UE at the most inapropriate times for Tsvetana.

It makes your hair stand to the end the thought that this was this was this year's suprising Wimbledon SF and a former #1 and a multiple GS and YEC champion! :o

gc-spurs
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
Is She banging Joyce? Maybe she got the flu from him:(

:unsure:

denny5576
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:30 PM
For God's sake! :o

Even God cannot change the facts, so do not involve him, he'll not help you, but you could make him angry, which is not good. :)
Maria is sick many days. Today is exactly the 8th day.
May be for you it is not important. But for the sportsmen it is very important. You should know that a simple cold, which will not force a normal person to change the way he lives, can reduce the sportsman capabilities up to 35%. The difference is the intensity. When the heart of the sportsmen works at a rate 160 - 180 (which is normal for the tennis players in a rally) any slight problem in breathing or in the oxygen supply reduces dramatically the functionality of the heart. The heart is simply not able to work at such high intensity. And the sportsman cannot recover quickly neither the normal pulse nor normal breathing. In tennis this automatically leads to increase of the quantity of errors (both forced and unforced). When you'll watch the video of this match pay attention and you'll see many proofs of above, especially in the second set.
If this match was going to 3rd set Maria would have lost it. But not because of Pironkova or her game...

cn ireland
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Well done Maria:bounce:

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Thank god Maria won this cause otherwise she would have called the year off I'm sure@

Serenita
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Horrible. I don't know how you won, Maria. Thank you Tsveti for gifting so many errors. Both were terrible. At least she finished it with a backhand winner. Maria is such a choker nowadays, choked 2 consecutive match points at 5-4, trailed 5-6. Led 3-0 in the tiebreak, then 4-4, choked one match point in the tiebreak and finally took it. She also DFed and lose game points and break points with her big errors.
:lol:

Sooo difficult to be a Pova fan.

SymphonyX
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Bah. Sharapova's performance recently is like the tennis equivalent of a menopause.

Where's the grand slam winning form, Masha? I hope she reads TF.

doktor
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Bah. Sharapova's performance recently is like the tennis equivalent of a menopause.

Where's the grand slam winning form, Masha? I hope she reads TF.

Oh god I hope not.

mashasabinefan1
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:28 PM
:lol:

Sooo difficult to be a Pova fan.

You have no idea:tears:

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
Nice fight Masha :yeah:

Vincey!
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
oh! well at least you won..... :yeah:

sammy01
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
well not looking good if shes barely beating pironkova :help:

Joelina
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:13 PM
but you still playing crappy. just build a house with JJ, Ana and Daniela and together talk about playing nice tennis.

faboozadoo15
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM
It's great that she won. She'll get another winnable match.
Get well soon. ;)

gmak
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Masha :yeah: :D
congrats i guess :scared: :sad:

good thing is that 2010 is almost over, so bring on 2011 :D
it can't be worse surely :shrug:

Vikapower
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Nice win Maria though the quality wasn't there. :cheer: Vesnina is winnable match...

Belmont Lad
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
It's a win.

FedererBulgaria
Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Tsveti:hug:

PLP
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:09 PM
Maria seemed to play well in spurts, She kept gaining sizable leads only to watch them disappear. The good news is that she was able to pull out both sets, no 3rd set, so that's a plus.
GL against Elena, Maria!!

Slampova
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Good luck against Lena V Masha :)

Mistress of Evil
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Thank God, it was Fluke on the other side of the net.

AnomyBC
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
Damn, glad she won at least. When I went to bed it was like 3-0 in the 2nd set and I feared it would get tight like this. Glad I didn't watch... I saved myself a lot of unnecessary stress :)

Anyway, I hope whatever Maria's sick with doesn't last long, cuz I wanna see her kick some major ass in this tournament :)

Vartan
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
Martha is still sick :(

rucolo
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Maria wins a match!:eek::bounce:

What a struggle.:o But a win is a win.:D

Horrible break point conversion:
won only 5 of 13!!!:tape:

Now beat Vesnina!

RenaSlam.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
Eeek

madmax
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
right...win is win I guess:unsure: Even if it's against flukey bulgarian that is. One step at a time

$uricate
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
:cheer:

When two of my faves play each other, one of them has to win :)

Noctis
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Stunning winner on mp
but she wasnt happy