PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Wozniacki will be a number 1 just like Jankovic/Safina?

danieln1
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Slamless number 1?

What do you think??

I think Caro eventually will win a slam...

Hian
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
If you mean: do you think Wozniacki sucks?
Well... yes.

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
Well... yes.

:lol::lol:

alex.2812
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM
I said "no" because she's still young and therefore there's still hope.
Safina was particulary bad because she had badly failed in her three Grand Slam finals and she became no.1 while she wasn't playing that well.
Wozniacki has been playing very well lately. She hasn't had epic fails in Slams like Jankovic had.
It's a little bit like when Clijsters became no.1 im my opinion. But I think it's still too early for Caroline.

Uranium
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Yes.

kman
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Well... yes.

Hian's favorites:

Flavia Pennetta, Vika Azarenka, Maria Kirilenko , Maria Sharapova, Nadia Petrova, Jie Zheng

says it all lol

No Name Face
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
even though her game is worse than jankovic and safina, she has a best chance to win a slam.

Vincey!
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Safina was particulary bad because she had badly failed in her three Grand Slam finals and she became no.1 while she wasn't playing that well.
Wozniacki has been playing very well lately. She hasn't had epic fails in Slams like Jankovic had.
It's a little bit like when Clijsters became no.1 im my opinion. But I think it's still too early for Caroline.

I agree she's much more like Clijsters when she first became number 1 right :)

cellophane
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
:lol: at Clijsters comparisons

Kim winning slams was a matter of her sorting out her choking not waiting for major rivals to retire.Caro is not winning slams if Justine, Kim, Venus and Serena are around and are playing half-decent

DownInAHole
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:29 PM

To be fair Kim was in multiple finals (5?) before she became number one.

jimmy_the_greek
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
No, i think she will win a slam next year.

justineheninfan
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Wozniacki will probably end up winning between 3-5 slams in a year which is really horrific but the WTA is going to turn into the biggest crapfest ever once Venus, Serena, Henin, and Kim retire or slow down inevitably due to age whether they want to retire yet or not, and alot of not so great players will be the best ones in the World and winning multiple slams.

No she wont be Jankovic or Safina for one big reason. Say what you will about her game or playing style but she has the mental toughness they dont. She wont turn all headcasey once she has a bit of success and starts putting pressure on herself to reach certain goals as they did.

Mish
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
It is just not fer what you think about JJ or Safina... Bouth of them were number one-hat was their dream!!! JJ was better number 1 then Safina. JJ really was the best then. Safina was better when she was number two or three then number one. She was boring and was really terrible to watch her haw she wins Rome and Madrid and then she lost RG so silly... JJ was better. I really think that Woznacki never will win GS because she constatly lost from players like Clijsters, Serena, JJ... Those are players who she never win!!!

justineheninfan
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
I could see an argument for Jankovic being the best while ranked #1 since she atleast held her own against Serena all year, beating her in a slam, and was competitive at all venues throughout the year. However I still dont believe she was due to her failure to win a slam or even Miami or the WTA Championships.

Safina definitely was not the best while she was ranked #1. She got humiliated by both Williams in every meeting except on clay, and she got crushed in all her big finals too. And finally topped off her pathetic run at #1 with a string of losses to players outside the top 100 but amazingly still holding onto that rank for awhile as it happened. Blissfully Serena won the WTA Championships to deprive Safina from the most bogus year end #1 rank in history.

Bismarck.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
No. She's going to win at least twenty Slams:hearts:.

Haterz choke!

Hian
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Hian's favorites:

Flavia Pennetta, Vika Azarenka, Maria Kirilenko , Maria Sharapova, Nadia Petrova, Jie Zheng

says it all lol

This says everything about the intelligence of your post.
All of the players you said have a better game than the pusher :hearts:

Mightymirza
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
Way to jinx her :ras: Let her be number one first..

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
There is no telling. Wozniacki is the youngest out of the 3 but has the least amount of talent IMHO out of the 3. Both Safina and to a lesser extent Jelena played their best tennis when they were not #1. So only time will tell. That is if she gets there

DownInAHole
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Way to jinx her :ras: Let her be number one first..

Excellent point. Even if Caroline does become number one there's a good chance that she could be there a very short time.

Hian
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Excellent point. Even if Caroline does become number one there's a good chance that she could be there a very short time.

This.
Even if we don't like the fact, we should accepte it and, maybe, we should consider positive aspects of this.
Maybe, becoming world n.1, she will consider herself best player ever and, satisfied with what she already did, she will start losing everywhere :p

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
Well Safina has reached 3 slam finals till now! If Caro beats that than she might!

goldlion
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
Wozniacki treats every match as match equally. She doesn't perform particularly well at big stages because she believes in her consistency and rhythm. If she failed to frustrate her opponent, she frustrates herself. This year's SF in USO is the best example.

Mental toughness doesn't even worth a penny if your playing well.

VeeJJ
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:36 PM
:lol: at Clijsters comparisons

Kim winning slams was a matter of her sorting out her choking not waiting for major rivals to retire.Caro is not winning slams if Justine, Kim, Venus and Serena are around and are playing half-decent

I feel like JJ should be in that list too. She's 4-0 on Caro and pretty much pwn's her.

C. W. Fields
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
All of the players you said have a better game than the pusher :hearts:

And yet somehow Caro has a 10-1 H2H with them this year (NH w/o not included) and her one loss was a retirement. :shrug:

LightWarrior
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:50 PM
Well she already choked in this year's USO semi final so there's a good chance that she will emulate both. She seems good to win tournaments outside the slams though.

Sammo
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
No, she'll be worse than Jankovic lol

roelc
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:08 PM
To be fair Kim was in multiple finals (5?) before she became number one.

only 2 actually, but kim won more tournaments, semifinals at all slams, had won the masters ...

it s not caroline's fault though that serena, justine, venus and kim didnt play enough tournaments. and i m quite sure that eventually she ll win slams.

MaBaker
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:10 PM
Jelena was amazing no1, so no. Wozniacki will be the worst.

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
Dinara had back problems, pulled out of matches during the YEC and AO, and still was #2 for months.
I dont know why Jankovic fell so far, but she was very good in the fall of 2008 when she was in the USO final and won Moscow.
She played really good tennis. I think a level that could win majors. But she dropped off since then.

Caro is a different person, her career is different

LightWarrior
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
Jelena was amazing no1,

By not winning a slam ? Keep talking. :help:

ZODIAC
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
no she wont be like Safina or Jankovic because she is young and is likeable,Ithink she has a chance of winning a slam next year..

LightWarrior
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:36 PM
Dinara had back problems, pulled out of matches during the YEC and AO, and still was #2 for months.

Safina remained #2 during the early part of 2010 because she had not much to defend until "Rome and Madrid".

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
Its because her results were so strong, it took everyone else time to catch her.

ellyhuang
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
Or what? even a worse one.

Safe-From-Harm
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
Please, Jelena got Mixed doubles GS.
ANd JJ will won Slam next year.

Caralenko
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Please stop lumping Dinara in with Jelena. :sobbing: JJ was awful when she had the #1 ranking, Safina won 3 titles and made 4 finals in a good stretch of results. Jelena lost to Bartoli and let go of her ranking, they're really not the same apart from not having a grand slam.

Brena
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'm so insulted by the OP's question.
EDIT: Oh it's Slumpnovic. :lol: Never mind then.

Hian
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
And yet somehow Caro has a 10-1 H2H with them this year (NH w/o not included) and her one loss was a retirement. :shrug:

But her game is still worse, accepte the fact.

Martian Jeza
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:59 AM
But her game is still worse, accepte the fact.

That's why they lose so much against Caroline ! There games indeed are much better than Caroline ! So explain me why they are regularly beaten by the so called worse player ? Enlighten me pls.

Matt01
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Please stop lumping Dinara in with Jelena. :sobbing: JJ was awful when she had the #1 ranking, Safina won 3 titles and made 4 finals in a good stretch of results. Jelena lost to Bartoli and let go of her ranking, they're really not the same apart from not having a grand slam.

Jelena won 3 tournaments in a row in the fall of 2008 few weeks after she reached the #1 ranking.

*Jool*
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:36 PM
she'll end up winning SlamS

remember , even Martina Hingis was a slamless number 1 ...until she won 3 the next year ... :p

MaBaker
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
By not winning a slam ? Keep talking. :help:
She won 3 tournaments in a row. That's a slam and a half.

дalex
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:35 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Caralenko
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:sad::sad::sad:

дalex
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
:sad::sad::sad:

http://i56.tinypic.com/59x5k6.gif

Navratil
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Yes! But she's younger and woman's tennis is lecking future stars. And when the Williams-sisters plus the Belgians retire - what will there be left??

Yilongru
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:26 AM
After the elder generation retire,sweetheart will conquer the WTA tour:angel:

Inger67
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:21 AM
No I actually think this girl will win multiple slams in her career. Maybe Sharapova/Davenport esque? Not with their game obviously but with their slam titles that is.

madmax
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:26 AM
No I actually think this girl will win multiple slams in her career. Maybe Sharapova/Davenport esque? Not with their game obviously but with their slam titles that is.

I sincerely doubt that she has enough game to win multiple slams. She will always be prone to hard hitters and all-court smart players ala Schiavonne or Zvonareva in slams, because her game is a really good indicator of what form other elite players are in. If they are clicking and playing well, they always beat her fairly easily. Wozniacki lacks natural shotmaking talent to take destiny in her own hands, and this will always hurt in a matches where her opponent is red hot and painting the lines.

DownInAHole
Oct 4th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I sincerely doubt that she has enough game to win multiple slams. She will always be prone to hard hitters and all-court smart players ala Schiavonne or Zvonareva in slams, because her game is a really good indicator of what form other elite players are in. If they are clicking and playing well, they always beat her fairly easily. Wozniacki lacks natural shotmaking talent to take destiny in her own hands, and this will always hurt in a matches where her opponent is red hot and painting the lines.

Ah-ha but tennis is an unpredictable game, isn't it. Maybe she will win a slam, maybe several, maybe none but after the way Sharapova won Wimbledon in 2004 who would have thought that six years later she would have "only" won two more slams? After the 2001 US Open I don't think many people were betting that Venus would never win a hardcourt slam again. None of us really know what will happen in the future but I think that's what's great about the game.

Pops Maellard
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I'm inclined to think no.

ZODIAC
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Sunshine will win slams in the near future..she is very strong

Jorn
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Ithink she will win some GS's but may not be before in 2012... even I hope in 2011!

But now we also will see when/if she get to No. 1... ;)

GreenGrass
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM
No.