PDA

View Full Version : The grunting edge

gaja kesari
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
So it's official :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11458669

tennnisfannn
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
That needed a study? I ownder who financed it, Martina N who is trying to remain relevant or Federer who has lost his mantle to Nadal?

gaja kesari
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
I posted it tongue in cheek really. The size of the sample seems very small :)
Anyway, this is the BBC story in full:

Tennis players who grunt do have advantage, study says

The loud grunts of some tennis players can give them a real advantage over opponents, a scientific study says.
Canadian and American researchers said tests had shown that "extraneous sound interfered with participants' performance, making their responses both slower and less accurate".
Some top tennis stars, including Martina Navratilova, regard grunting as unfair, or even as cheating.
Maria Sharapova and Rafael Nadal are among the game's big grunters.

Speed and spin
The study, which appeared in the Public Library of Science ONE journal, tested 33 students at the University of British Columbia in western Canada.
Hundreds of video clips were shown of a player hitting a ball to either the left or right. The students had to determine the direction quickly, but on some shots were subjected to noises simulating grunting.
Lead report author Scott Sinnett told the BBC: "The findings were unequivocal. Basically, when the video clips did have a grunt, the participants were not only slower to react but they had lower accuracy levels. So they were basically slower and could actually be wrong-footed, if you could extend that to a real-world tennis court."
The report said the grunt could also hamper a receiver who was trying to judge the spin and speed of a ball from the sound made off the racket.
Mr Sinnett said: "The study raises a number of interesting questions for tennis. For example, if Rafael Nadal is grunting and Roger Federer is not, is that fair?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11458669?print=true

DragonFlame
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
The way this research has been done and with that sample size of 'students' seems very amateuristic. 0_o

Mightymirza
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:46 PM
Plus the intimidation factor.. Esp if the player is suddenly grunting hard, the opponent gets defensive automatically. Having said that everyone is doing it. :shrug:

Khelvors
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
does the study talk about how loud the grunt is? because if it's like MLDB then i totally agree. but if it's just a natural, within-normal-range grunt i doubt it's something to mess with opponents

AnotherJoe
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
Next they need a study comparing grunts to "COME ON!"

Wiggly
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
These researchers are cleary fans of Roger. Good. :devil:

They should focus mor eon the scream's intensity during the key points.
Some women are having twins and most of the men are like elephant having sex on BPs/SPs/MPs.

Welcome1
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:02 PM

:lol:

Or compare "Come on" to "Ajde" and "Allez" to tell us which one gives more advantage

TennisFan66
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM

Difference being that the loud vuvuzela grunt/scream is allowed WHILE a point is being played. The 'COME ON' is between points. If a player yells 'COME ON' or as Caro found out in Tokyo 'aaaeee' during a point, its a point lost.

As for grunts being 'unfair'. Its pretty obvious. The opponent cannot hear, when the screaming player hits the ball. It masks spin, how hard a ball is hit. Hell, you can even sound like a screaming vuvuzela when playing a drop shot and its still allowed.

Further there's the 'intimidation' factor as mentioned above. Used quite frequently by the sisters. But it is what it is, as long its allowed a non-grunting player can either chose to 1) live with it and play on or 2) start grunting him/herself.

RenaSlam.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:28 PM
That's why Maria won her 3 slams.

madmax
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM

http://files.sharenator.com/facepalm_Facepalm_collection-s500x400-82171-580.jpg

Monzanator
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:34 PM

I thought you haven't noticed them. I'm glad that you did :wavey:

Beat
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM

and serena her 13?

tennis-insomniac
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
The research are seriously doubtful
1. The sample group is not enough to make the conclusion based on the hypothesis
2. The good scientific experiment needs to have a control group that will decrease the bias
3. This research has many bias and unclear to state their method statistically this research needs to be seriously reviews

I think it is useless to be referenced as the fact that they conclude can not be trusted