PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Wozniacki is 1 win away from world #1, only Kvitova standing on her way

Pages : [1] 2

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:56 AM
Current ranking after removing Beijing points from last year:

1. Serena Williams 6855
2. Caroline Wozniacki 6680

Beijing quarterfinals points: 250.

WTA 20th world #1 is coming soon :bowdown:

EDIT: one more victory away from world #1 now, only Petra Kvitova standing on her way.

Josh.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:56 AM
:hysteric:

Pops Maellard
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:57 AM
We knew it would happen someday.

Justine is out, Clijsters barely plays, the sisters are both injured. Sharapova is Sharapova etc.

Take all them out of the equation we're left with Caro as the best player.

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
Dear lord in heaven....

Mrs. Dimitrova
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
Inevitable.

shaktincredible
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:01 AM
KILL ME NOW :hysteric:

Keadz
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:01 AM
Be helpful if Serena played tournaments, outside grandslams and her face surgery.

Don't care much this time though. Unlike with Jelena, Ana and Dinara, I'm fairly confident Caro will deal with the number one position better and is likely to win a grand slam. Plus I like her :p

Pasta-Na
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:02 AM
pls help us, china open shuai. :spit:

tim2502
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Hell no :o

saul1333
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:05 AM
Empires have tumbled for this like this :bigcry:

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:08 AM
But really it aint her fault that:

Serena is too busy getting plastic surgery
Venus still pimpin' out her book
Justine recoveriing from Herpes injury
Kim is too busy breast feeding

and Maria has been relegated to 2nd tier player :hysteric:

Roookie
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:11 AM
and Maria has been relegated to 3rd tier player :hysteric:

Corrected :devil:

Mekoro
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:11 AM
It's disappointing for the WTA that it happens before Wozniacki has won a slam. It looks bad of course to have a slamless number one and a player who played badly in slams in general. But it's the other players fault, she has not to lose to avoid to climb the rankings.

It will be a little number one for the moment, until she loses the position or win a slam.

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Corrected :devil:

Now that's a stretch :sobbing:

Tennisation
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Well it aint her fault that:

Justine recovering from Herpes injury
Kim busy breast feeding
Maria pretending to have an orgasm while riding Sasha

madmax
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Well it aint her fault that:

Justine recovering from Herpes injury
Kim busy breast feeding
Maria pretending to have an orgasm while riding Sasha

:devil:in all seriousness, this is getting ridiculous now - like having Safina and Jankovic as Nr.1's wasn't pathetic enough, now another slamless hack is gonna make people question the legitimacy of women's game

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:22 AM
She has clearly capitalized on the fact that the Top tier players are down for the count at the moment. Good for her I guess. I just dont see how getting #1 now is gonna help. She has virtually NOTHING to back it up.

pedropt
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
Kaia Kanepi will save women's tennis and reach the quarters :eek:

Ferg
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:51 AM
I wonder if shes gonna get as uch shit as Safina got, who had 2 slam finals and 2 SFs on her points when she got it. WhatGS points does Woz have?

Shaun:::
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
Pengy please snipe Caro:help:

pedropt
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:59 AM
I wonder if shes gonna get as uch shit as Safina got, who had 2 slam finals and 2 SFs on her points when she got it. WhatGS points does Woz have?

900 (USOpen SF) + 500 (FO QF) + 280 (WIM 4th) + 280 (AO 4th)

Slutiana
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Peak SEWTA Tour. :cheer:

Be helpful if Serena played tournaments, outside grandslams and her face surgery.
:weirdo:

C. W. Fields
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
At least I don't think there'll be the snipes between Serena and Caro which we saw between Serena and Dinara. Caro and Serena like each other too much for that. I also don't expect Caro to go around shouting "I'm the best in the world!". She knows Serena is a better slam player and would still be ranked #1 if not for her foot injury.
I think the #1 ranking isn't the end-all and be-all for Caro, just one more thing to cross off her list. Then she'll set her sights on winning YEC/a slam, beating Serena/Venus/JJ, improving her game etc.

Jorn
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
We will take one ball at the time as userly, No. 1 may come and so we'll take it... Caro's dad say "We don't think about No. 1"

Piotr: Vi tænker ikke på førstepladsen

- Selvfølgelig vil det være en drøm for Caroline at blive nummer ét, men vi har ikke glemt, at andre er skadet, siger Piotr Wozniacki

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:18 AM
Wow! Caro in the books of History with the names of Graf,Seles,Navratilova as the number 1s OMFG :hysteric:

JamieOwen3
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
so the great wall of denmrk has a chance on being nmber one if she wins 2 more matches? i guess congrats are in hand as we all know that will happen :p

terjw
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
At least I don't think there'll be the snipes between Serena and Caro which we saw between Serena and Dinara. Caro and Serena like each other too much for that. I also don't expect Caro to go around shouting "I'm the best in the world!". She knows Serena is a better slam player and would still be ranked #1 if not for her foot injury.
I think the #1 ranking isn't the end-all and be-all for Caro, just one more thing to cross off her list. Then she'll set her sights on winning YEC/a slam, beating Serena/Venus/JJ, improving her game etc.

I agree. Actually right now she's on a tear and I really think the thing she wants the most right now is the Beijing title - it's the next tournament and a big one at that and she didn't do well there last year. Also the thing she mentioned more than once after her Tokjo win was how happy she was to win her 11th title. She'll be really happy to get #1 (assuming she does) but her eye is on the Beijing title and her 12th title.

дalex
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Well it's not her fault my gurl Rena likes barefoot dancing on glass tables. Accidents happen.

Congrats Caro, I guess. Hopefully she doesn't end the year as #1 but I see it happening.

Svetlana)))
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
Where's that Mommy Vera gif?

Noctis
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Cant be prevented

Noctis
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
Where's that Mommy Vera gif?

She was usless :tears: in the final

Monzanator
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
She has clearly capitalized on the fact that the Top tier players are down for the count at the moment. Good for her I guess. I just dont see how getting #1 now is gonna help. She has virtually NOTHING to back it up.

Yup, she's using the circumstances into her favour big time, but there were few others who had similar chances and blew it. I do believe however that unlike Jankovic or Safina, she'll be able to hang out on top for a longer period of time. If Serena will concentrate on Slams and play only a handful of events per year for whatever reason, she should be able to challenge Wozniacki for the top spot only by winning the odd Slam or two. But if Wozniacki starts winning them, then even Serena would have to settle for runner-up spot at best. Let's face it, Serena and Caro are the only two valid contenders for #1. Serena is still the dominant figure when it comes to all the Slams bar RG and Caro has won more titles then anyone this year and finally she broke the International Series deadlock too. Zvonareva certainly has improved a lot to become the top Russian now, but winning 1 out of 5 finals this year simply ain't good enough (not to mention it was Pattaya of all places). Those are the three players currently on best form (well, Serena hasn't played since July, but you can suspect she's able to beat anyone even after such an extended break).

MaBaker
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

ZODIAC
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
she has worked hard to be in his position and if she gets the no.1 so be it,her first slam will come in the future...
congrats Sunshine!

Direwolf
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
The thing is She is Winning Titles!

A-Bond
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Well they really could give her the #1 spot now, I mean who wants to prevent her from that?? She has her bitches Pavlyuchenkova, Pennetta or Kanepi on the way and she has a winning H2H against Kvitova and with the czechs inconsistency and Caro's current form I don't expect another beatdown. It's great for Caro, and she really won some big Titles this year :) But it just underlines that it is necessary to make changes with that #1 ranking, I mean otherwise Sandra Zahlavova is going to take it in a few years :o I would love the rule "it's not possible to become #1 without a slam :)". You just remain #2, no matter how many points you have :lol:

TennisFan66
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
Well they really could give her the #1 spot now, I mean who wants to prevent her from that?? She has her bitches Pavlyuchenkova, Pennetta or Kanepi on the way and she has a winning H2H against Kvitova and with the czechs inconsistency and Caro's current form I don't expect another beatdown. It's great for Caro, and she really won some big Titles this year :) But it just underlines that it is necessary to make changes with that #1 ranking, I mean otherwise Sandra Zahlavova is going to take it in a few years :o I would love the rule "it's not possible to become #1 without a slam :)". You just remain #2, no matter how many points you have :lol:

So despite the lack of importance to a WTA #1 ranking (bar for moaning from non fans - apparently), you seriously propose to make the WTA ranking hinding on winning an ITF tournament? I'm sure you know already as it is, ITF slams weigh by far the heaviest in the WTA ranking system. Slam SF = Premier 5/man W.

Another comment to make, I've read endless comments here on this board how important it was to win against 'active former No 1'; win socalled 'Tier 1' events and blah blah. Funny how I dont see those comments anymore :lol: .. Its called moving target or 'I make it up as I go along to avoid giving any credit to the girl I hate' (hate = 'I dont like' for sub 14yr olds). Now I mostly see 'but she didn't beat any top 5, top whatever player' to win .. Funny old world it is, the way ranking and seeding works. #1 and #2 seeds rarely meet in R1 and it takes for both of them to actually reach a final for them to face each other :)

JadeFox
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
So despite the lack of importance to a WTA #1 ranking (bar for moaning from non fans - apparently), you seriously propose to make the WTA ranking hinding on winning an ITF tournament? I'm sure you know already as it is, ITF slams weigh by far the heaviest in the WTA ranking system. Slam SF = Premier 5/man W.

Another comment to make, I've read endless comments here on this board how important it was to win against 'active former No 1'; win socalled 'Tier 1' events and blah blah. Funny how I dont see those comments anymore :lol: .. Its called moving target or 'I make it up as I go along to avoid giving any credit to the girl I hate' (hate = 'I dont like' for sub 14yr olds). Now I mostly see 'but she didn't beat any top 5, top whatever player' to win .. Funny old world it is, the way ranking and seeding works. #1 and #2 seeds rarely meet in R1 and it takes for both of them to actually reach a final for them to face each other :)

That's why I don't fret over the haters. They're gonna stay pressed no matter what she does. Even if she were to beat Venus, Serena, Kim and Justine within the upcoming months they'll still find excuses.

And I find it funny that some folks here claim how irrelevant the #1 ranking is but is so quick to point out Caroline not facing many top five players this year. Either the ranking system doesn't mean shit, or it does. Can't have it both ways.

I believe Caroline will be number one, if not this year then next year.

Tennis90
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
If she does reach the No.1 I guess it will be well deserved.Everytime she plays a top player like Dementieva yesterday or Azarenka or Sharapova at the USO I would think she'll lose but she didn't.She's winning titles and although I don't like her defensive tactics she's improved a lot,she attacks a lot more than she used to do before.
She won't be the only one to reach the No.1 spot without winning a slam btw.

Lysias
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Whether she will reach QF in Beijing, she has proven that she deserves world 1# through the past few months. I simply say, I won't like her and will expect her to lose, no matter how many slams she will win or how many weeks she will stay in world 1# in the future, unless she changes her type of play. This means possibly one day I will be a fan of her if this change really happens.

Another comment to make, I've read endless comments here on this board how important it was to win against 'active former No 1'; win socalled 'Tier 1' events and blah blah. Funny how I dont see those comments anymore :lol: .. Its called moving target or 'I make it up as I go along to avoid giving any credit to the girl I hate'
I guess I belong to the most die-hard haters because I never "move my target". I never take the trouble to find new reasons to support my dislike.

bbjpa
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:54 AM
OK n°1 before the big slump starts in 2011, as n°1 she can't anymore defend her international events 280 pts :lol: and playing every week :devil:

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
OK n°1 before the big slump starts in 2011, as n°1 she can't anymore defend her international events 280 pts :lol: and playing every week :devil:

Well she can win the big ones now :shrug:

She won Montreal and Tokyo :lol:

tennis-insomniac
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
i think gaining number one slamlessly has become a new tend for WTA :spit:

look at or last new two and about to be three number one 1. Jelena Jankovic 2. Dinara Safina and soonly Caroline Wozniacki in which didn't even reach a final in the year she about to be crown number one :help:

well Mauresmo did it once and became two slam champ lets just hope she won't end up like our beloved JJ and Dina

Lucemferre
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:31 AM
:lol:

Judio
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
It's disappointing for the WTA that it happens before Wozniacki has won a slam.

And how many Slam Finals will she have reached in 2010
to get the Number one :rolleyes:

Lucemferre
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Jankovic's major results were sf sf 4r f in 2008. Safina in 2009 f f sf 3r.

Wozniacki 2010- 4r qf 4r sf :tape:

Cinek
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Chryste Panie!? Za co?

Hian
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Well, we know that it would have happened. I think it's better now, so maybe Wozniacki is satisfied and starts losing every match :hearts:

sammy01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
it is what it is, no one sees her as the number 1 player or best. shes not even proved herself a contender for slams.

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:31 PM

look at or last new two and about to be three number one 1. Jelena Jankovic 2. Dinara Safina and soonly Caroline Wozniacki in which didn't even reach a final in the year she about to be crown number one :help:

well Mauresmo did it once and became two slam champ lets just hope she won't end up like our beloved JJ and Dina

Kim Clijsters too. She lost 5 grand slam finals before winning her first slam I think :sobbing:

Matt01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM

Why not? Next year she will be able to play 2 Internationals just like this year. And she can win them all :hearts:

it is what it is, no one sees her as the number 1 player or best. shes not even proved herself a contender for slams.

Not even at the US Open? :sad:

sammy01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Not even at the US Open? :sad:

shes not exactly beat a serena or kim there has she? i mean RU and semi final is good but when you think shes beat what 1 top 10 player to do that its not exactly grand slam winning pedigree.

JamieOwen3
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
i was actually rooting for her after she beat maria as she proved she could beat a big name, but the way she lost to vera i was like bitch please correct that or u will never win a slam.

that's true so don't hate!

Matt01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
shes not exactly beat a serena or kim there has she? i mean RU and semi final is good but when you think shes beat what 1 top 10 player to do that its not exactly grand slam winning pedigree.

Beating Pova and Kuzzy is good enough for me.

kman
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
We knew it would happen someday.

Justine is out, Clijsters barely plays, the sisters are both injured. Sharapova is Sharapova etc.

Take all them out of the equation we're left with Caro as the best player.

Caroline took Sharapova out of the equation herself by beating her at a slam.

And she almost beat Justine. On clay.

sammy01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM

well thats very low standards then, but that sums up caro and the WTA 2010.

Marionated

:lol: So Cibulkova has proved herself a slam contender then?

kman

Serena and Kim will be retired soon enough.

But then again, if Schiavone can win a slam...

sammy01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM

:lol: obviously, and kirilenko

Pops Maellard
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM

True.

Maria beat herself though. :devil: (just kidding).

Matt01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM

Did she reach a final and a semi at the US Open? If so (can't remember ;)) then yes.

Marionated
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Did she reach a final and a semi at the US Open? If so (can't remember ;), then yes.

Well... she has reached a slam semi at the French. Unfortunately for her, her opponent was Dinara Safina and not Yanina Wickmayer.

The Australian Open will certainly be interesting next year.

sammy01
Did she reach a final and a semi at the US Open? If so (can't remember ;)) then yes.

sf at the french, qtrs at the us open, its not far off woz, plus cibulkova had safina the world number 1 in her slam semi, caro had wickmayer lol

kman

Schiavone was a slam contender before she proved anything. You just didn't know it.

Matt01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
sf at the french, qtrs at the us open, its not far off woz

Yeah right, because a Slam quarterfinal is almost the same as a Slam final. Oh, I forgot, Caro only got there because of her cakewalk draw :tape:

TennisFan66
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah right, because a Slam quarterfinal is almost the same as a Slam final. Oh, I forgot, Caro only got there because of her cakewalk draw :tape:

Matt,

it basically boils down to this: When Caro achieves/do/win/ something, it means nothing ..

When my fave achieves/do/win something, it means everything ..:lol:

Same goes for ranking of course. I don't like the girl who is ranked #1, #2, #whatever, hence there is something wrong with the ranking system ..

terjw
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:38 PM

Ridiculous to compare Cibulkova with Caro. You can spout BS all you like but if you really think that - why don't you go to a bookies and bet a thousand dollars / pounds on Cibulkova winning a slam in the next 5 years and/or a thousand dollars / pounds that Caro won't win a slam in the next 5 years. You'd get fantastic odds. You could win a fortune if the BS you post came true.

Of course the other way round - I doubt you'd win much if you bet on that.

Marionated
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
Matt,

it basically boils down to this: When Caro achieves/do/win/ something, it means nothing ..

When my fave achieves/do/win something, it means everything ..:lol:

Same goes for ranking of course. I don't like the girl who is ranked #1, #2, #whatever, hence there is something wrong with the ranking system ..

She's a slam finalist. Nobody can take that away from here, but with the exception of Kuznetsova (the most unreliabe "top player" ever) she had a cakewalk draw.

I mean, compare her draw to Bartoli's Wimbledon 07, Stosur's draw at the French this year, or, if you want to go way back, Novotna's Australian open 1991 draw.

JamieOwen3
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
cibulkova beat a VERY TIRED Maria Sharapova in the QF of RG in 2009 when Maria was coming back so bitches please forget that loss :rolleyes: Maria beat her in amelia island in 2008 when she was fully fit so shh with that bull shite!
i do believe caro deserved her final spot in the 2009 US Open and until she lost so lacklusture to vera i thaught she deserved the title this year.

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
When Safina was healthy she was about 2,000 points ahead of everyone except Serena.
Because Serena has been injured, I dont think this is something that is unexpected, for Caro to take #1.
If Caro keeps winning Tier I's and II's, and goes deep in majors, then she will pull away from the pack, and Serena and Kim will have to play a lot to catch Caro in the rankings.

TennisFan66
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
She's a slam finalist. Nobody can take that away from here, but with the exception of Kuznetsova (the most unreliabe "top player" ever) she had a cakewalk draw.

I mean, compare her draw to Bartoli's Wimbledon 07, Stosur's draw at the French this year, or, if you want to go way back, Novotna's Australian open 1991 draw.

All I'm seeing is the usual excuses from a Caro hater. Fluke, cakewalk, lucky blah blah blah. You've had your chance. You backed the wrong horse. The anti-Caro brigade. Now live with it. All you're saying has been said before a thousand times and more on TF and still makes no difference. Caro keeps on winning and you and your peers keep on sulking. Simples.

Marionated
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
All I'm seeing is the usual excuses from a Caro hater. Fluke, cakewalk, lucky blah blah blah. You've had your chance. You backed the wrong horse. The anti-Caro brigade. Now live with it. All you're saying has been said before a thousand times and more on TF and still makes no difference. Caro keeps on winning and you and your peers keep on sulking. Simples.

Well actually I was explaining why I don't consider her a slam contender even though she has a slam final to her name.

And for the record, no I don't consider Bartoli a contender either even though she beat two top 3 players to reach the Wimbledon final. I think that was just one amazing tournament. I do consider Stosur a contender at the French though.

JamieOwen3
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
i consider caro a big contender for next years AO :shrug: im not known to have been her biggest fan but she's proven to me that she can be a threat, signs were there even in 2009 when she played serena in sydney (which i posted highlights of once)

L'Enfant Sauvage
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
As long as Serena keeps winning slams I really don't care. Let Caro hold onto #1 for the next ten years and overtake Graf's record, until she wins a couple of slams she won't ever be taken seriously :shrug:

ALthough... I could see myself one day becoming a fan if she were to really develop her groundstrokes more than she qalready has. I think the thing that infuriates people about her being number 1 is that, not only does she not have a slam, she doesn't even have any weapons. Even while Safina was getting thrashed in the AO 09 final, I couldn't help but admire the occasional wicked CC Backhand. Caro's got a good forehand, but no really dangerous weapon in her arsenal like the other World Number Ones have had. Serena's Serve, Venus' BH DTL, Henin's Backhand, Even Ivanovic's FH, etc. If Caro can maybe develop her forehand into a more deadly shot I may soon begin to like her...

Matt01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
ALthough... I could see myself one day becoming a fan if she were to really develop her groundstrokes more than she qalready has. I think the thing that infuriates people about her being number 1 is that, not only does she not have a slam, she doesn't even have any weapons. Even while Safina was getting thrashed in the AO 09 final, I couldn't help but admire the occasional wicked CC Backhand. Caro's got a good forehand, but no really dangerous weapon in her arsenal like the other World Number Ones have had. Serena's Serve, Venus' BH DTL, Henin's Backhand, Even Ivanovic's FH, etc. If Caro can maybe develop her forehand into a more deadly shot I may soon begin to like her...

I'm not sure why are talking about her forehand when her serve and backhand are much bigger weapons for her.

cn ireland
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
C'mon Caro, I want to see her as #1;)!

is1531
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Caroline deserves her high ranking after winning at Montreal,Pilot Pen and Tokoyo. She knows how to make other players choke.

Monzanator
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Wozniacki hating will never end, even when she wins a Slam, some people will always come up with 28468426 excuses :happy: Get over your frustrations and move on!!!

tievae
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Well, if Wozniacki gets to #1, she deserves to. It's not her fault the other players crumble at her feet and :bowdown: to her! :shrug:

C. W. Fields
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
i consider caro a big contender for next years AO :shrug: im not known to have been her biggest fan but she's proven to me that she can be a threat, signs were there even in 2009 when she played serena in sydney (which i posted highlights of once)

For some reason Caro is a slow season starter. She has yet to win a tournament before April and I think IW this year is the only final above International level she has ever reached in the January-March period. Unless she finds a way to change that I doubt she'll be as good in AO as in USO.

Break My Rapture
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
That's what you get when all the REAL top players only care about Slams and sometimes pull out of the big WTA events because of the smallest injuries. :shrug: The WTA is just dead.

AcesHigh
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
That's what you get when all the REAL top players only care about Slams and sometimes pull out of the big WTA events because of the smallest injuries. :shrug: The WTA is just dead.

I guess they're not that great if they can't stay healthy enough.

Caro will be #1. Caro deserves it. She's going to be #1 of the WTA TOUR not #1 of the ITF events or #1 of the slams. There are many ways to be a deserved #1.

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Well if the 2 previous slamless #1s are any indication, I'm all for Caro getting that #1

Donny
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
I guess they're not that great if they can't stay healthy enough.

Caro will be #1. Caro deserves it. She's going to be #1 of the WTA TOUR not #1 of the ITF events or #1 of the slams. There are many ways to be a deserved #1.

Serena's not great because she was collateral damage at a random bar fight?

Rui.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM

Well from the last 7 girls that reached number 1 four of those made it slamless :p

Lapaco
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM

Since when is Miami played on clay? And she wasn't close to beating Henin, let alone almost.

JamieOwen3
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
^^

i think kman mean't sharapova almost took out justine on clay of RG :shrug:

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Even if Wozniacki is #1, no one will see her as the top player or the one to beat.

Lapaco
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
^^

i think kman mean't sharapova almost took out justine on clay of RG :shrug:

She wasn't close either. And it's obvious he was referring to Wozniacki.

Break My Rapture
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Even if Wozniacki is #1, no one will see her as the top player or the one to beat.
Except her delusional fans who think her game is similar to Hingis'. :tape:

JamieOwen3
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
She wasn't close either. And it's obvious he was referring to Wozniacki.

do you remember the maria vs justine match? she WAS close! had a point for a double break in the third :shrug:

it's not obvious, maybe ask but it sounded like kman was refering to maria to me cuz i don't recall justine playing caro on clay!

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
The YEC points from last year come off the week of Oct 25 correct?

terjw
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
The YEC points from last year come off the week of Oct 25 correct?

No. They will come off the rankings on 1 Nov. Rankings take into account results from the previous year on a rolling week by week basis i.e. 52 weeks. They do not suddenly operate on a 51 weeks basis.

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
No. They will come off the rankings on 1 Nov. Rankings take into account results from the previous year on a rolling week by week basis i.e. 52 weeks. They do not suddenly operate on a 51 weeks basis.

Ok dude ctfo. I was just wondering because last year the points came off a week earlier

Roookie
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM

We'll see about that. :wavey:

terjw
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Ok dude ctfo. I was just wondering because last year the points came off a week earlier

When this sort of thing happens with any tournament - not just the YEC - it will be because the tournament wasn't played in the same week the previous year.

hurricanejeanne
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Oh well. :shrug: Caro can have fun defending all the points and deal with the pressure like Safina and Jankovic did. :shrug:

sweetpeas
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM

W hen it comes to Serena people here talk bull shit! What surgery?

Dana1982
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
As people already noted - Caroline's climb to #1 may have been a result of the other "big names" not doing much, but it sure ain't her fault. Serena and Venus hardly play (even when they're not injured), Kim and Henin pretty much the same, and all other top10 are just not as solid as Caro is. Zvonareva reaches finals in two slams but doesn't back it up with any real achievements anywhere else. Stosur and all other top 10/15 the same. Look at how Jankovic and Sharapova look these days.

If Caroline will reach QF and the #1 spot, it's gonna be because she's the best and most solid player out there at the moment. When the sisters/belgians will decide to show up for a tournament or two, then we'll talk...

sweetpeas
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Caroline trying to get where they're at,so what the problem?Have fun Caroline.

pav
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Good on Caro if she becomes # 1,the system is not her doing, so why rip into her:confused:
Only thing that is pissing me off is some still going on how well she plays(which she does) and then bringing up her US open loss to Zvon. as though she came out with no racquet and turned her back on her! Caro deserves her wins but when she loses oh she isn't outplayed. I even read one a while back saying her win at the Rogers cup proved she could beat CB handily but her loss at the US was just down to a bad day. give me strength. Anyway,enough of my obsession:sad:Caro will be no harm as a #1 , and perhaps an asset:)

JamieOwen3
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
7-5 6-3 was the 2009 US Open Final score wasn't it?

Vikapower
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Except her delusional fans who think her game is similar to Hingis'. :tape:

And Kimmie Clijsters :o God do we really have to endure this ?? :lol:

Nicolás89
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:56 PM

Lol She obviously is now.

Wozniacki as the number 1 is the best thing it could possibly happen for WTA right now. Looking forward to 6th title of the year next week. :drool:

FORZA SARITA
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
i blame Serena :sobbing:

Adrian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
she won't be #1, Flavia or Kanepi will stop her :cheer::rocker2::cheer:

kman
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
I can't wait. Becoming the 20th #1 at the age of 20. Just perfect.

stangtennis
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Serena's not great because she was collateral damage at a random bar fight?
It's not like Serena was really participating much in the WTA Tour before her injury. She has only played 3 non slam tournmanets for all of 2010, but still manged to be show up for 3 slams, and perform well too.
She can stay on top without playing much and is able to perform well at the the slams. But if she was playing a league sport she would be in trouble. In football, soccer, basketball etc. teams have to play matches week in and week out throughout the year, you can't just show up for the big matches. It's hard to tell how Serena would have performed if she had to play a full schedule. She might not have performed as well at slams as she seems to problems staying injury free and motivated if she should play tournamnets all season. She probably wouldn't even have played still if she should play a full season schedule.

manu32
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:56 PM
dramatic.....
jankovic,safina ,wozniacki are pushers without GS ...why number one?? becoz playing 53 weeks by year...
and 11 winners for woz in a three set match is pathetic...
that's not good for WTA at all and this tour needs sponsors,tv and audiences..

Matt01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
dramatic.....
jankovic,safina ,wozniacki are pushers without GS ...why number one?? becoz playing 53 weeks by year...

:bs:

terjw
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
It's not like Serena was really participating much in the WTA Tour before her injury. She has only played 3 non slam tournmanets for all of 2010, but still manged to be show up for 3 slams, and perform well too.
She can stay on top without playing much and is able to perform well at the the slams. But if she was playing a league sport she would be in trouble. In football, soccer, basketball etc. teams have to play matches week in and week out throughout the year, you can't just show up for the big matches. It's hard to tell how Serena would have performed if she had to play a full schedule. She might not have performed as well at slams as she seems to problems staying injury free and motivated if she should play tournamnets all season. She probably wouldn't even have played still if she should play a full season schedule.

Yep - I agree with the part in bold. You can't tell what woulda happen. Only what does happen. It's even conceivable that Serena would get less ranking points if she played more matches if it affected her tally at the slams.

There's two distinct things: The rankings which do have meaning and goes to the player who was the best over the whole year not just for the slams. Caro post Wimledon has definitely earned her chance. And then we have the big four who are pretty well universally recognised as the players to beat but who play a reduced schedule due to injury and various other reasons and only really have the slams as their priority and are not really too concerned about getting the #1 ranking.

In order to recognise this - I feel we need to have another recognised formal ranking in place for just the slams - more indicative of the best player at the slams and the few tournaments they play. But don't tinker with or replace the existing rankings to accomodate four top players not able to accumulate enough wins because they can't or won't play enough.

We shouldn't really be comparing Caro to the big four at the moment. They have been achieving things in slams Caro hasn't - well Serena and Kim this year and Justine made a final. But Caro has been racking up wins this year that they haven't been able to do. And apart from the Justine vs Caro match - they haven't met this year. It should be something to look forward to rather than fight over how Caro compares to them when they do play - presumably at the YEC.

Because the big four do have different priorities - I agree that the #1 spot in the rankings has been diminished in stature a bit from what it used to be. If Caro gets #1 - we will see four new #1s but only two new slam winners in the last 3 years. The ratio used to be that it was harder to get to #1 than win a slam. Nevertheless - it is still a tremendous achievement to reach #1. Davenport for much of her career had many weeks at #1 and in several of those years at #1 did not win a slam. She's not in that very top bracket because she's doesn't have the numbers of slams for that. Yet she still had a great career.

Corswandt
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Above me, meet the poster who once said in all honesty that Clijsters would bother to fight for the year end #1.

Donny
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM

Very few starting football players consistently play every game in a season. That means they're playing less than 16 games in a year... in a four month span. Showing up for the big matches is exactly what football is about. Last year, the two conference champs (the Colts and Saints) literally tanked their last three games by sitting out their best players. Which means starters on those teams- the undisputed best in the NFL last season- played LESS than the best players on other teams.

And non playoff bound basketball teams routinely lay down towards the end of the season in order to have a better chance in the lottery. In fact, the entire point of the NBA draft lottery was to minimize the benefit teams got from tanking the last part of the season.

And baseball? Baseball has to be the least stamina dependent major sport. The only players on the team who actually put their body under considerable strain consistently (pitchers) can play as little as once a week. That's right. Once. A. Week. Imagine if Serena could win majors simply by playing her best once a week for half a year.

But the point is moot anyway. All Serena had to do was show up at all four slams- like she did the previous 3 years- and make the quarters- like she's done at every slam since the FO 08- and she'd be holding a comfortable lead.

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Very few starting football players consistently play every game in a season. That means they're playing less than 16 games in a year... in a four month span. Showing up for the big matches is exactly what football is about. Last year, the two conference champs (the Colts and Saints) literally tanked their last three games by sitting out their best players. Which means starters on those teams- the undisputed best in the NFL last season- played LESS than the best players on other teams.

And non playoff bound basketball teams routinely lay down towards the end of the season in order to have a better chance in the lottery. In fact, the entire point of the NBA draft lottery was to minimize the benefit teams got from tanking the last part of the season.

And baseball? Baseball has to be the least stamina dependent major sport. The only players on the team who actually put their body under considerable strain consistently (pitchers) can play as little as once a week. That's right. Once. A. Week. Imagine if Serena could win majors simply by playing her best once a week for half a year.

But the point is moot anyway. All Serena had to do was show up at all four slams- like she did the previous 3 years- and make the quarters- like she's done at every slam since the FO 08- and she'd be holding a comfortable lead.

You must spread reputation around before giving it to Donny again. Damn

terjw
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Above me, meet the poster who once said in all honesty that Clijsters would bother to fight for the year end #1.

If you are referring to me - stop lying and provide a link. I've made one or two posts after the USO saying I didn't think she would fight for YE #1 and that's about all I've said on that for Kim this year.

ZODIAC
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:20 PM
the tour rewards consistency and Caro is very consistent,its no surprise that she is at the cusp of being no.1

Julian.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Oh well. :shrug: Caro can have fun defending all the points and deal with the pressure like Safina and Jankovic did. :shrug:

I think Caro will handle it much better than JJ and Dinara :lol:

Corswandt
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:19 AM
If you are referring to me - stop lying and provide a link. I've made one or two posts after the USO saying I didn't think she would fight for YE #1 and that's about all I've said on that for Kim this year.

Sorry, confused you with homogenius (who to his/her credit was also doubtful about it, now that I went back and checked the post I was alluding to).

You're still insufferable though.

TennisFan66
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
Gud, is this still the main topic of discussion? .. and she hasnt even reached the #1 spot - yet.

Noone will be more deserving for a #1 WTA TOUR ranking than Caro. Its a WTA ranking; not the ITF or ITF Slam ranking.

WTA TOUR ranking does not have to = punters fave for next slam (AO 2011 Serena/Kim tied at the top; Caro 3rd fave).

Some people argue that if you haven't won an ITF slam, you shouldnt be allowed to be #1 ranked with the WTA. What BS.

Anyho, Caro haterz, feel free to let them bad reps coming .. :lol: and a good Sunday to all.

tedlesurfeur
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Gud, is this still the main topic of discussion? .. and she hasnt even reached the #1 spot - yet.

Noone will be more deserving for a #1 WTA TOUR ranking than Caro. Its a WTA ranking; not the ITF or ITF Slam ranking.

WTA TOUR ranking does not have to = punters fave for next slam (AO 2011 Serena/Kim tied at the top; Caro 3rd fave).

Some people argue that if you haven't won an ITF slam, you shouldnt be allowed to be #1 ranked with the WTA. What BS.

Anyho, Caro haterz, feel free to let them bad reps coming .. :lol: and a good Sunday to all.

Are you sure?

She never defeated Kim, Venus, Justine, Serena... which is something that even Jankovic and Safina have done on their way to the No.1 ranking.

Caroline will reach the No.1 position not having face a sole top 5 player and not having reached even a grand slam final.

This isn't what I call "deserving to be No.1", I call it "lucky to get to No.1". That's my opinion at least, thanks for respecting it.

I believe Caro as No.1 will be a disgrace to WTA, there is CLEARLY something wrong. Grand Slams should be worth MORE points.

We all know Serena or Kim are the true top players. It reminds me of Serena's reaction when Safina was No.1. It will be the same with Caro. No one will see her as the No.1. The players will always fear Kim, Venus, Justine and Serena as more dangerous. They've been top players at a time where all the top players were consistent and playing well.

In that era (1997-2007), Caroline wouldn't have stood a chance of reaching even No.5. So yes, she's "lucky"

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Are you sure?

She never defeated Kim, Venus, Justine, Serena... which is something that even Jankovic and Safina have done on their way to the No.1 ranking.

Caroline will reach the No.1 position not having face a sole top 5 player and not having reached even a grand slam final.

This isn't what I call "deserving to be No.1", I call it "lucky to get to No.1". That's my opinion at least, thanks for respecting it.

I believe Caro as No.1 will be a disgrace to WTA, there is CLEARLY something wrong. Grand Slams should be worth MORE points.

We all know Serena or Kim are the true top players. It reminds me of Serena's reaction when Safina was No.1. It will be the same with Caro. No one will see her as the No.1. The players will always fear Kim, Venus, Justine and Serena as more dangerous. They've been top players at a time where all the top players were consistent and playing well.

In that era (1997-2007), Caroline wouldn't have stood a chance of reaching even No.5. So yes, she's "lucky"
I agree.

Caro is merely taking advantage, with her consistency, of an extraordinarily fortuitous situation for her. The best players in the world, Serena and Kim, have both played infrequently this season and somewhat erratically when they have played. The rest of the top 10 have shown up more physically, but very infrequently mentally. Caro has merely had to show up lots, play lots, and beat what's been in front of her. So far this year that has only included 5 top 10 players and no other top 5 player.

She won't have got to #1 by beating the very best or by proving herself at the slams - her slam record this year is extremely underwhelming for her rank. That is something that is her fault.

The rest is not really her fault but indicative of a major problem that the WTA tour has - 2 years now since the implementation of the Roadmap (you'll recall, designed to get the top ladies playing each other more regularly at big events), we have the biggest stars more part time than ever, and the rest just wildly inconsistent from one day to the next.

If you can take Caroline Wozniacki seriously as world #1, then that's great for you. Unfortunately, I cannot. Her elevation to the top ranking makes Safina and Jankovic's reigns look almost deserved by comparison. They did have to beat the best, they may not have won slams but they did have slam finals and impressive results in their resumé when they got then. It wasn't great but this is a whole order of magnitude worse.

The world #1 ranking used to mean something but increasingly it's becoming a joke. That's something the WTA can ill afford but seems completely disinterested in attempting to correct.

For me, in 10 years womens tennis has gone from peak to trough, with no end in sight. That's something any tennis fan should be concerned about

jessebird
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:22 AM
Judging from her performance lately, she just deserves it ,period~

TennisFan66
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Are you sure?

You are completely and utterly missing the whole point. WTA, TOUR, ITF, ITF SLAM, PUNTERS FAVE .. and you used Caro haterz excuse #23425315315 'lucky' and managed to use a word like 'disgrace'. Good for you. I however, cannot take your post serious. Good day to you.

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
You are completely and utterly missing the whole point. WTA, TOUR, ITF, ITF SLAM, PUNTERS FAVE .. and you used Caro haterz excuse #23425315315 'lucky' and managed to use a word like 'disgrace'. Good for you. I however, cannot take your post serious. Good day to you.
I believe that's the textual equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

:rolleyes:

tedlesurfeur
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
I agree.

Caro is merely taking advantage, with her consistency, of an extraordinarily fortuitous situation for her. The best players in the world, Serena and Kim, have both played infrequently this season and somewhat erratically when they have played. The rest of the top 10 have shown up more physically, but very infrequently mentally. Caro has merely had to show up lots, play lots, and beat what's been in front of her. So far this year that has only included 5 top 10 players and no other top 5 player.

She won't have got to #1 by beating the very best or by proving herself at the slams - her slam record this year is extremely underwhelming for her rank. That is something that is her fault.

The rest is not really her fault but indicative of a major problem that the WTA tour has - 2 years now since the implementation of the Roadmap (you'll recall, designed to get the top ladies playing each other more regularly at big events), we have the biggest stars more part time than ever, and the rest just wildly inconsistent from one day to the next.

If you can take Caroline Wozniacki seriously as world #1, then that's great for you. Unfortunately, I cannot. Her elevation to the top ranking makes Safina and Jankovic's reigns look almost deserved by comparison. They did have to beat the best, they may not have won slams but they did have slam finals and impressive results in their resumé when they got then. It wasn't great but this is a whole order of magnitude worse.

The world #1 ranking used to mean something but increasingly it's becoming a joke. That's something the WTA can ill afford but seems completely disinterested in attempting to correct.

For me, in 10 years womens tennis has gone from peak to trough, with no end in sight. That's something any tennis fan should be concerned about

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, a lot of WTA fans aren't real tennis fans, but just obsessed about one or a few players, with which they identidy.
A lot of wozniacki fans will never be able to split their love for her on one side, and their understanding of the situation on the WTA tour on the other side.

Besides, I do believe the level of play had decreased. When I watch again some matches from 2005 between the top players, I am simply amazed. Kim, Serena and Venus used to play BETTER.
However, they do NOT need to play as good in 2010 to defeat their opponents. This fact has made them more relaxed, they can stay away from the tour for a long period of time and they will remain in the top 5. That's what the WTA should be concerned about.

tedlesurfeur
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM

Well some people will take my post seriously. I have reasons to believe I know more about tennis than you do. I do teach it you know. However, you may remain deaf to what Scoobz and I are pointing out. I do not care lol, it's up to you.

Break My Rapture
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
I believe that's the textual equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

:hysteric: So true!

DownInAHole
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM

Caroline didn't really start racking up the points until the summer hardcourt season. Potentially she could make some sizable gains in the first half of the season, particularly at the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon where she had disappointing results in 2010.

kman
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:40 AM
dramatic.....

The irony is that most of the real world don't share your sensibillities of what good tennis is. They don't care about winners. They just want close matches with lots of drama and hot girls with tight bodies. To that end, Caroline is a perfect asset for the WTA tour and will draw more sponsors and TV viewers and headlines than someone like Kim Clijsters.

oh btw. 25-2 in her last 27 matches is anything BUT pathetic.

Break My Rapture
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
The irony is that most of the real world don't share your sensibillities of what good tennis is. They don't care about winners. They just want close matches with lots of drama and preferably hot girls with tight bodies. To that end, Caroline is a perfect asset for the WTA tour and will draw more sponsors and audiences than someone like Kim Clijsters.
Not a chance. In how many important mags about hot women athletes has Wozniacki appeared in? That's right, in none of them. Nobody (except the Danish people) is interested in going to see Wozniacki. No one will be impressed with her either, especially if they see she isn't able to hit 1 winner in a single set, nobody will think she is really talented.

TennisFan66
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:46 AM

I dont know why I bother with you guys (you should go and bad rep me btw, all the other Caro haterz do!) but here's my last try today.

Caro plays the TOUR, Caro wins the TOUR.
Serene does not play the TOUR. Serene does not win the TOUR.
Kim does not play the TOUR. Kim does not win the TOUR

= Caro is >>>>>>>>> Serena and Kim what TOUR wins, points are concerned. Comprende? Noone deserves to be #1 WTA TOUR ranked more than Caro (its not a view, its a collection of won ranking points). Here's a girl who supports the tour, plays the schdule Vs 'part timers' .. Its a non contest.

Slams are under ITF (if it was boxing, it would be a different association), yet still weigh by far the heaviest in the WTA TOUR ranking. If you think ITF slams should weigh even heavier than now. Thats your view and your prerogative. Take it up with the WTA or mail the ITF and suggest they make their own ranking!

If you don't understand how the WTA TOUR ranking is calculated and what its used for thats not really anyone elses problem but yours, is it?

WTA TOUR ranking does not necessarily = perceived fave at the upcoming next major event. Kim and Serena is currently punters fave for AO 2011. Caro is 3rd fave as it looks right now.

I cannot put my view any more clear than this and if you still want to play like a child and use words like 'lucky' and 'disgrace', well I guess it just shows lack of maturity and understanding.

Spiritof42
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Nobody (except the Danish people) is interested in going to see Wozniacki.
Wrong. She was quite popular in Montreal this year.

Matt01
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM

No.

Judio
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Carolines 2010 Results (Sorted by Ranking of Opponent)

RND OPPONENT RANK W/L SCORE
Q (6) SCHIAVONE, FRANCESCA (ITA) 7 W 6-3 6-2
S (5) RADWANSKA, AGNIESZKA (POL) 8 W 6-2 6-3
S (7) ZVONAREVA, VERA (RUS) 8 L 6-4 6-3
F (6) JANKOVIC, JELENA (SRB) 9 L 6-2 6-4
Q RADWANSKA, AGNIESKA (POL) 9 W 5-0 ret
F DEMENTIEVA, ELENA (RUS) 10 W 1-6 6-2 6-3
F (8) ZVONAREVA, VERA (RUS) 11 W 6-3 6-2
S AZARENKA, VICTORIA (BLR) 11 W 6-2 6-7 6-4
S (4) DEMENTIEVA, ELENA (RUS) 13 W 1-6 6-3 7-6(5)
R16 (14) PENNETTA, FLAVIA (ITA) 15 W 7-6(5) 6-7(4) 6-2
S (11) KUZNETSOVA, S (RUS) 16 W 6-2 6-3
R32 LI, NA (CHN) 17 L 2-6 6-3 6-2
R16 (16) LI, NA (CHN) 17 L 6-4 6-3
Q (17) SCHIAVONE, F (ITA) 17 L 6-2 6-3
R16 (14) SHARAPOVA, MARIA (RUS) 17 W 6-3 6-4
Q (6) PETROVA, NADIA (RUS) 18 W 6-3 6-4
R16 (16) PETROVA, NADIA (RUS) 19 W 6-3 3-6 6-0
R32 REZAI, ARAVANE (FRA) 19 L 6-4 1-6 6-3
F (8) PETROVA, NADIA (RUS) 19 W 6-3 3-6 6-3
R16 (16) BARTOLI, MARION (FRA) 20 L 6-4 6-1
R16 (15) PENNETTA, FLAVIA (ITA) 20 W 4-6 6-3 6-1
R16 PAVLYUCHENKOVA, A (RUS) 20 W 6-1 6-2
Q (7) PENNETTA, FLAVIA (ITA) 21 W W/O
R16 PEER, SHAHAR (ISR) 22 L 6-2 7-5
S (7) ZVONAREVA, VERA (RUS) 22 L 5-2 RET
Q (18) ZHENG, JIE (CHN) 23 W 6-4 4-6 6-1
R16 MARTINEZ SANCHEZ (ESP) 26 L 6-4 6-2
R32 BONDARENKO, A (UKR) 26 L 6-2 6-3
Q (5) ZHENG, JIE (CHN) 26 L 6-3 RET
R32 (29) PEER, SHAHAR (ISR) 28 W 6-4 6-0
R32 CIBULKOVA, DOMINIKA (SVK) 30 W 6-2 7-6(2)
R32 (32) KIRILENKO, MARIA (RUS) 30 W 1-6 6-1 6-4
Q (5) PAVLYUCHENKOVA, A (RUS) 30 W 6-1 6-3
R32 (31) DULGHERU, ALEXANDRA (ROU) 32 W 6-3 6-4
R32 (29) PAVLYUCHENKOVA, A (RUS) 32 W 7-5 6-4
Q HENIN, JUSTINE (BEL) 33 L 6-7(5) 6-3 6-4
S (4) VESNINA, ELENA (RUS) 33 W 1-6 7-6(4) 6-4
R128 WOZNIAK, ALEKSANDRA (CAN) 34 W 6-4 6-2
R16 (22) PAVLYUCHENKOVA, A (RUS) 35 W 6-2 6-2
R32 (32) KIRILENKO, MARIA (RUS) 36 W 6-0 6-3
R16 SAFAROVA, LUCIE (CZE) 38 L 6-4 6-4
Q (5) GOERGES, JULIA (GER) 41 W 3-6 6-0 7-6(3)
R16 CIBULKOVA, DOMINIKA (SVK) 45 W 6-4 6-1
Q CIBULKOVA, DOMINIKA (SVK) 45 W 6-2 7-5
R32 SCHNYDER, PATTY (SUI) 49 W 6-0 6-4
R16 (16) SCHNYDER, P (SUI) 49 W 6-2 7-5
F (7) ZAKOPALOVA, K (CZE) 51 W 6-2 7-6(5)
F GOVORTSOVA, OLGA (BLR) 52 W 6-2 7-5
R32 SCHNYDER, PATTY (SUI) 52 W 7-5 7-5
R128 GARBIN, TATHIANA (ITA) 53 W 6-1 6-1
R16 HERCOG, POLONA (SLO) 55 W 2-6 6-3 6-4
R64 GARBIN, TATHIANA (ITA) 56 W 6-3 6-1
R64 KVITOVA, PETRA (CZE) 61 W 6-4 6-2
R16 KVITOVA, PETRA (CZE) 62 L 6-2 6-0
R16 ARVIDSSON, SOFIA (SWE) 72 W 6-3 6-1
R32 BAMMER, SYBILLE (AUT) 72 W 6-0 6-2
S CHAKVETADZE, A (RUS) 74 W 6-1 2-6 6-4
R64 GOERGES, JULIA (GER) 76 W 6-3 6-1
R64 KING, VANIA (USA) 76 W 5-7 6-2 6-4
R32 ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA, B (CZE) 76 W 6-4 6-1
R32 CHAN, YUNG-JAN (TPE) 77 W 6-1 6-0
R128 KUDRYAVTSEVA, ALLA (RUS) 78 W 6-0 6-3
R16 BENESOVA, IVETA (CZE) 78 W 4-6 6-2 6-0
R64 CHANG, KAI-CHEN (TPE) 84 W 6-0 6-0
R32 MARTIC, PETRA (CRO) 85 W 6-3 6-2
R64 CHANG, KAI-CHEN (TPE) 89 W 6-4 6-3
R32 ARN, GRETA (GER) 109 W 6-1 6-3
R64 PIRONKOVA, T (BUL) 117 W 3-6 6-3 6-4
R32 CAMERIN, M (ITA) 125 W 6-1 6-0
R128 GULLICKSON, C (USA) 9999 W 6-1 6-1

TennisFan66

New Haven .. and according to WTA Tour officials, Caro is the #3 sought after/requested by media (behind the sisters).

But its ok Peter Pan, keep telling yourself noone likes Caro .. we all need to survive the day.

tedlesurfeur
I dont know why I bother with you guys (you should go and bad rep me btw, all the other Caro haterz do!) but here's my last try today.

= Caro is >>>>>>>>> Serena and Kim what TOUR wins, points are concerned. Comprende? Noone deserves to be #1 WTA TOUR ranked more than Caro (its not a view, its a collection of won ranking points). Here's a girl who supports the tour, plays the schdule Vs 'part timers' .. Its a non contest.

Slams are under ITF (if it was boxing, it would be a different association), yet still weigh by far the heaviest in the WTA TOUR ranking. If you think ITF slams should weigh even heavier than now. Thats your view and your prerogative. Take it up with the WTA or mail the ITF and suggest they make their own ranking!

If you don't understand how the WTA TOUR ranking is calculated and what its used for thats not really anyone elses problem but yours, is it?

WTA TOUR ranking does not necessarily = perceived fave at the upcoming next major event. Kim and Serena is currently punters fave for AO 2011. Caro is 3rd fave as it looks right now.

I cannot put my view any more clear than this and if you still want to play like a child and use words like 'lucky' and 'disgrace', well I guess it just shows lack of maturity and understanding.

That's the thing. We're not going to bad rep you because we're not Caro haters. We're just making a statement which, according to us, is true. To me, it seems you only see what you want to see ;)

Matt01
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:52 AM

Jankovic? Slam finals to her resumé when she got to #1? I think you are very wrong here.

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM

Well great. Caro can be queen of THE TOUR. And then Serena can be the real #1 in people's minds because to most people what matters far more than THE TOUR are THE SLAMS and at THE SLAMS Caro is nowhere to be seen.

Tennis is first and foremost about the slams. That's what you're remembered for.

In the past tennis players used to build their world #1 ranking on the slams AND the tour, so it wasn't a problem.

Then there came this disconnect - players like Serena who build their #1 ranking almost exclusively on the slams, and then players like Caro who will build their #1 ranking with hardly any slam points in there at all.

Neither situation is good but in the eyes of most tennis viewers, who see the slams as the cornerstones of the game, and who remember players who used to get to #1 by excelling at slams, getting to #1 with a mediocre record at slams is worse.

Still, if you're happy with that, good for you. Call me a hater, if you like. I don't hate Caro, I'm just not overly impressed with her, and the idea of putting her in the same category as players like Graf, Seles, Navratilova as fellow holders of the #1 ranking is simply laughable.

tedlesurfeur
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Jankovic? Slam finals to her resumé when she got to #1? I think you are very wrong here.

No he's not. When JJ reached the No.1 position, grand slam final points were in her ranking points.

Caro won't have grand slam final points when she reached No.1. And no win over top 5 players as someone posted her results on the previous page.

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM
The first time she didn't - lasted one week. The second time she had the US Open final on her ranking.

Monzanator
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:57 AM
dramatic.....

Wozniacki is a tall outspoken blonde, so has the primary assets already. Sponsors don't really care if she hits three winners per set instead of 20. Also, #1 is #1 and they don't care how she did it, the most important thing is, she did. How hard is it to understand that female athletes sell primarily for their looks and the actual results are only a bonus. And the style of game is the least important thing of them all and won't deprive Wozniacki of being the current WTA pin-up girl :shrug:

Nobody (except the Danish people) is interested in going to see Wozniacki.

http://rlv.zcache.com/you_forgot_poland_tshirt-p235412557466024584t5hl_400.jpg

:sobbing:

Break My Rapture
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Based on what? :shrug: Because there are a lot of people in the stands? That has always been the case in Montréal.
New Haven .. and according to WTA Tour officials, Caro is the #3 sought after/requested by media (behind the sisters).

But its ok Peter Pan, keep telling yourself noone likes Caro .. we all need to survive the day.
New Haven? :spit: Probably because she is about the only top 10 player to have played there in I don't know how long.
WTA is so biased towards Wozniacki, they even gave her a tournament for herself the first year after she entered the top 10. They hype her up by giving her Shot Of The Day countless of times when her shot featured in those vids is anything but spectacular. :lol:

Matt01
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:59 AM
The first time she didn't - lasted one week. The second time she had the US Open final on her ranking.

Well, your new friend tedlesurfeur disagrees with that. Maybe he doesn't know that much about tennis as he claimed before LOL.

And how is the above stated different to what Caro achieved? So she reached her first Slam final before she got to #1 unlike Jankovic who reached it after. Big deal :rolleyes:

laurie
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
Well great. Caro can be queen of THE TOUR. And then Serena can be the real #1 in people's minds because to most people what matters far more than THE TOUR are THE SLAMS and at THE SLAMS Caro is nowhere to be seen.

Tennis is first and foremost about the slams. That's what you're remembered for.

In the past tennis players used to build their world #1 ranking on the slams AND the tour, so it wasn't a problem.

Then there came this disconnect - players like Serena who build their #1 ranking almost exclusively on the slams, and then players like Caro who will build their #1 ranking with hardly any slam points in there at all.

Neither situation is good but in the eyes of most tennis viewers, who see the slams as the cornerstones of the game, and who remember players who used to get to #1 by excelling at slams, getting to #1 with a mediocre record at slams is worse.

Still, if you're happy with that, good for you. Call me a hater, if you like. I don't hate Caro, I'm just not overly impressed with her, and the idea of putting her in the same category as players like Graf, Seles, Navratilova as fellow holders of the #1 ranking is simply laughable.

You also have to take into consideration that only Tennis fans will follow the Tour on the likes of Eurosport etc.

So if Wozniacki doesn't win slams or get to slam finals consistently, most of the general public wouldn't know who she is - only slams are shown or Terrestial free to air television.

But Wozniacki has the Andy Murray problem. She's built to play an aggressive game, but has the instinctive heart of a counterpuncher. That's a paradox neither player seems able to solve at the Grand Slam level. Winning slams requires players to claim victory and go for it, not relying on the opponent's mistakes or failings.

DownInAHole
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, a lot of WTA fans aren't real tennis fans, but just obsessed about one or a few players, with which they identidy.
A lot of wozniacki fans will never be able to split their love for her on one side, and their understanding of the situation on the WTA tour on the other side.

Besides, I do believe the level of play had decreased. When I watch again some matches from 2005 between the top players, I am simply amazed. Kim, Serena and Venus used to play BETTER.
However, they do NOT need to play as good in 2010 to defeat their opponents. This fact has made them more relaxed, they can stay away from the tour for a long period of time and they will remain in the top 5. That's what the WTA should be concerned about.

I'm a fan of Caroline but I'd like to think that I can be objective. It's definitely true that Caroline is taking advantage of a favourable situation but at the same time I don't see why people dislike her for it. She is showing up at tournaments and playing the players across the net from her, what else can she do?

I don't have the answer regarding the problems in the ranking system but it seems pretty obvious that if Serena, Venus and Kim played more often that more people would be satisfied with the rankings. People can complain that Caroline doesn't deserve the number one ranking but I would argue that neither does Serena. Undeniably she is currently the best player in the game but she plays so infrequently, even before the injury, that it is kind of insulting to the fans and other players to have her ranked at number one. The number one ranking takes into account all of the events on the tour, not just the majors. The fact is that as well as Serena does at the majors she tends to miss a lot of the other events and sometimes underperforms at the ones she does play. Having said that Serena is, as of this writing, still number one despite the fact that she has missed a lot of tournaments. I think that most fans know that regardless of the number next to her name that she is the best and it doesn't really matter if Caroline gets the top ranking.

I could be wrong but I think that right now we are just going through an odd situation and that sooner or later any problems with the rankings will work themselves out. I certainly do not see the doomsday scenario that some fans do.

Bingain
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM

I'm not sure if I am the only Caro fan who doesn't want her to become #1 now, esp like this. Naturlaly the best way to get to #1 is by winning a slam or an Olympics gold. Or at least by beating Serena and/or Kim at the YEC. I don't see it happening ATM unless they have very bad days. So I'd rather she doesn't get to that spot and live with huge pressure day after day.

However, think about it. Whose fault is it? The entire WTA is in a hot mess. Everyone is either in slum or (claimed) injured. So what should Caro do? Should she take a semester off at Yale/NYU, or should she get knocked up to give birth and wait for the WTA to recover? She didn't write the rules; you didn't write the rules. Live with it, or quit watching and following women's tennis.

We all know women's tennis is at a low. It's not up to 2004-6; it's far from the 90's. No point whinning. Nobody points a gun at your head to force you watch. There is something called men's tennis which is still very watchable.

Matt01
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Caro won't have grand slam final points when she reached No.1. And no win over top 5 players as someone posted her results on the previous page.

Caro didn't play any Top 5 player this year, Sherlock. It's not her fault when the Top Players couldn't make it far enough to meet her :rolleyes: It's not like Caro doesn't play enough tournaments :lol:

And the current #1 is 1-3 against Top 10 players this year. Disgrace to tennis as well, eh? :tape:

tedlesurfeur
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Well, your new friend tedlesurfeur disagrees with that. Maybe he doesn't know that much about tennis as he claimed before LOL.

And how is the above stated different to what Caro achieved? So she reached her first Slam final before she got to #1 unlike Jankovic who reached it after. Big deal :rolleyes:

Oh, yes, she had been No.1 one week before her GS final, right? You're right about this. See? I know when to agree with someone.

However, when she finished the season as No.1, she had a GS final :lol:

But that's not what we're talking about.
To me, Grand Slams should be worth more points, and Serena and Kim should come first in the rankings.
And we're also talking about the state of womens tennis. and it's alarming.

Martian Jeza
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:08 PM
Caro didn't play any Top 5 player this year, Sherlock. It's not her fault when the Top Players couldn't make it far enough to meet her :rolleyes: It's not like Caro doesn't play enough tournaments :lol:

And the current #1 is 1-3 against Top 10 players this year. Disgrace to tennis as well, eh? :tape:

To add to this, some of the top 5 players only are interested in Slams and some tournaments like maybe Miami or Indian Wells otherwise they do the ( censored ) all during the whole year : they prefer to be at home resting, going on fashion show, going clubbing, etc. Only Clijsters is the exception to the rule

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:10 PM

The difference to me is of degree. Firstly I'm not impressed that neither Safina nor Jankovic were able to "validate" the #1 ranking by winning a slam. At least in the past players like Davenport, Mauresmo and Clijsters, when #1s without a slam win on their points, had either won them before in the case of Davenport, or went on to win them later, as with Mauresmo and Clijsters. It's not ideal but at least they demonstrated the ability to win the tournaments that matter at some point.

Safina and Jankovic have yet to do this.

As for Wozniacki, it's even worse. Jankovic at least got to #1 for 1 week without a slam final on her resume but then did get to a slam final a few weeks later and had that when she got back to #1 for the rest of 2008.

Now, Caro might do the same, she might get to the finals of one of the first three majors next year and it won't look quite so bad if she does from that perspective.

But from the perspective of right now, it feels like the bar to get to #1 is getting lower and lower. Once upon a time you pretty much had to be winning majors. Then, well, if you got to finals of majors, or a final of a major, then you might get to #1. And now, well, 1 SF of a major, mediocre results at the other three, and some tournament wins where you didn't even play a top 5 player all year - now *THAT'S* enough to get to #1.

I'm not criticising Wozniacki here particularly, just the absurd situation that allows someone with solid but fairly unspectacular results to reach the top of the rankings.

In my opinion, the ranking system has been broken for years - you have had weird situations all decade involving players like Davenport, Pierce, Mauresmo, Jankovic, Safina and so on, where common sense is telling you one thing and the rankings list tells you something entirely different. The problem is, the manifestations of this problem become more and more blatant and ridiculous. Unfortunately, nobody at the WTA is paying attention, it seems. They're happy for the WTA ranking system to be held up to ridicule year in year out, even if this devalues the tour. Good for them. I don't have to like it, and I won't be bowing down before Miss Wozniacki come the publications of the rankings list next Monday.

tedlesurfeur
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm a fan of Caroline but I'd like to think that I can be objective. It's definitely true that Caroline is taking advantage of a favourable situation but at the same time I don't see why people dislike her for it. She is showing up at tournaments and playing the players across the net from her, what else can she do?

I don't have the answer regarding the problems in the ranking system but it seems pretty obvious that if Serena, Venus and Kim played more often that more people would be satisfied with the rankings. People can complain that Caroline doesn't deserve the number one ranking but I would argue that neither does Serena. Undeniably she is currently the best player in the game but she plays so infrequently, even before the injury, that it is kind of insulting to the fans and other players to have her ranked at number one. The number one ranking takes into account all of the events on the tour, not just the majors. The fact is that as well as Serena does at the majors she tends to miss a lot of the other events and sometimes underperforms at the ones she does play. Having said that Serena is, as of this writing, still number one despite the fact that she has missed a lot of tournaments. I think that most fans know that regardless of the number next to her name that she is the best and it doesn't really matter if Caroline gets the top ranking.

I could be wrong but I think that right now we are just going through an odd situation and that sooner or later any problems with the rankings will work themselves out. I certainly do not see the doomsday scenario that some fans do.

May you be right hopefully.

I'm not sure if I am the only Caro fan who doesn't want her to become #1 now, esp like this. Naturlaly the best way to get to #1 is by winning a slam or an Olympics gold. Or at least by beating Serena and/or Kim at the YEC. I don't see it happening ATM unless they have very bad days. So I'd rather she doesn't get to that spot and live with huge pressure day after day.

I understand your point of view and agree with you.

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:15 PM
You also have to take into consideration that only Tennis fans will follow the Tour on the likes of Eurosport etc.

So if Wozniacki doesn't win slams or get to slam finals consistently, most of the general public wouldn't know who she is - only slams are shown or Terrestial free to air television.

But Wozniacki has the Andy Murray problem. She's built to play an aggressive game, but has the instinctive heart of a counterpuncher. That's a paradox neither player seems able to solve at the Grand Slam level. Winning slams requires players to claim victory and go for it, not relying on the opponent's mistakes or failings.

The difference is that women play best of three all the time, men play best of five at the slams, it's a whole different animal. For the women, in theory at least, it should not be - it's a continuation of what she does week in week out. So why does she beat down Zvonareva easily enough in Montreal and then lose to her in abject fashion in New York? Nerves? Temperament? How can you respect a #1 who can only do it on the minor stages but pee their panties when the big trophies are on the line?

If you want to draw comparisons with Murray, then Murray has had two slam finals and never been remotely close to getting to the #1 ranking. The ATP ranking system has its flaws but it produces the right results most of the time these days, unlike the WTA, which has been flawed for a long time.

kman
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure if I am the only Caro fan who doesn't want her to become #1 now, esp like this.

If you get an opportunity to become #1 you take it. That shit will be on your resume forever and media will always refer to you as "former world no. 1 [insert name]" after you've been dethroned. You don't delay something like that (you never know when you end up with a career-threatening injury or whatever) just because a few tennis snobs believe you're "unworthy". Haha, screw that. World no. 1 is world no. 1 and there's no two ways about it. Seize it!

TennisFan66
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
The difference is that women play best of three all the time, men play best of five at the slams, it's a whole different animal. For the women, in theory at least, it should not be - it's a continuation of what she does week in week out. So why does she beat down Zvonareva easily enough in Montreal and then lose to her in abject fashion in New York? Nerves? Temperament? How can you respect a #1 who can only do it on the minor stages but pee their panties when the big trophies are on the line?

If you want to draw comparisons with Murray, then Murray has had two slam finals and never been remotely close to getting to the #1 ranking. The ATP ranking system has its flaws but it produces the right results most of the time these days, unlike the WTA, which has been flawed for a long time.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it took Kim Clijsters - whom I admire greatly btw - 5 slam finals before she won her first major? .. Was she peeing her panties too all those first failed attempts?

Matt01
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
In my opinion, the ranking system has been broken for years - you have had weird situations all decade involving players like Davenport, Pierce, Mauresmo, Jankovic, Safina and so on, where common sense is telling you one thing and the rankings list tells you something entirely different. The problem is, the manifestations of this problem become more and more blatant and ridiculous. Unfortunately, nobody at the WTA is paying attention, it seems. They're happy for the WTA ranking system to be held up to ridicule year in year out, even if this devalues the tour. Good for them. I don't have to like it, and I won't be bowing down before Miss Wozniacki come the publications of the rankings list next Monday.

It is not the WTA, the WTA's rankings system or Wozniacki's fault when the "Top Players" (or the players you perceive as them) are not taking the tour seriously or are injured. (Serena, Venus, Kim and Justine are ll injured at the moment). Question: Whose fault is it that the players are injured?

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but it took Kim Clijsters - whom I admire greatly btw - 5 slam finals before she won her first major? .. Was she peeing her panties too all those first failed attempts?
Yes, largely. Four, was it? RG 01, RG 03, USO 03, AO 04?

She overcame that, credit to her - maybe Caro will too - if she can work out how to even get in that position on a regular basis., she hasn't exactly motored on this year on that front. Maybe 2011 will be better.

DownInAHole
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM

I think we should all read this post because it seems to sum up the debate nicely. There was a time when being the best player and being ranked number one were pretty much the same thing. Over the last few years that hasn't necessarily been true. When/if Serena's game starts to seriously decline she will no longer be the best. Until that happens she is the best tennis player on the tour. At the same time, according to the rankings, Caroline is poised to become the number one ranked player. Very, very few people will consider her the best player but I think she deserves the number one ranking because she is showing up and winning points. Of course the fact that Serena has held on to the number one ranking for this long despite not playing since Wimbledon proves how much better she is than the rest of the field and she is unquestionably the best. So I don't think either side of this debate is wrong we all just need to accept the rankings for what they are and try not to let it bother us. Hopefully in 2011 Serena, Venus and Kim (and Justine) will play a lot more and we will get a better idea of where Caroline is in the pecking order.

Lapaco
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
It is not the WTA, the WTA's rankings system or Wozniacki's fault when the "Top Players" (or the players you perceive as them) are not taking the tour seriously or are injured. (Serena, Venus, Kim and Justine are ll injured at the moment). Question: Whose fault is it that the players are injured?

It's not only about injuries, although it does play a big part. It is also about skewed rankings which in turn produces one-sided draws which results in two grand slam finals for Zvonareva :tape: :rolls: It's a vicious circle.
But yeh, it is not WTA's or Caro's problem that the top players are injured and/or inconsistent.

kman
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM

It was Zvonareva who peed her pants when tophies were on the line this year. First in final at Wimbledon, then at final in Montreal against Wozniacki (who didn't pee her pants) and then in the US Open final against Clijsters. Clijsters also had a terrible performance against Stosur earlier in US Open. If that had been against Zvonareva or Wozniacki, she'd have lost. Wozniacki's one terrible performance just came against a better player than Clijster's one terrible performance in this year's US Open.

TennisFan66
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:28 PM
Yes, largely. Four, was it? RG 01, RG 03, USO 03, AO 04?

She overcame that, credit to her - maybe Caro will too - if she can work out how to even get in that position on a regular basis., she hasn't exactly motored on this year on that front. Maybe 2011 will be better.

Yes, 5 slam finals before she won her first major? = failed 4 times first, won the 5th. but nvm that.

Only the future will show whats in store for Miss Wozniacki, as it did for Kim Clijsters and despite the lack of success in finals, she got it right. Caro is 20. I am betting she'll get another chance or two and imho will win 5 slams in her career. Thats the number I picked for another thread.

As if Caro has done nothing in slams (F last year; QF and SF this year) thats down to your personal interpretation and definition of 'nothing'. You'll probably find that even such 'unworthy' slam results will stack up quite well Vs her peers.

Its now time for hot buns and coffee for me. A good day to all.

laurie
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM

You make an ineresting point. The Tour is relying on those individuals and since 2008, the other players like Safina, Kuznetsova, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Dementieva, Azarenka have failed to take over when the opportunity presented itself.

I would also place Sharapova with the names you mentioned due to her injuries.

Lapaco
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM

But Caro, unlike Murray, doesn't even beat the elite in non-major tournaments. She beats the likes of Zvonareva and also loses against the likes of Zvonareva in slams so she doesn't even get to play the real elite. Mediocrity abounds. The high stake matches no longer exist and we get the likes of Caro and Vera fighting it out for final berths. Caro is hogging a lot so that she can keep up her overranked status which in turn gives her the chance to get the easier draws time and again - again a vicious cycle and then profits from a complete implosion of the field or non-existance of any field for that matter (Tokyo, Montreal didn't have any real elite players this year).

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
It's not only about injuries, although it does play a big part. It is also about skewed rankings which in turn produces one-sided draws which results in two grand slam finals for Zvonareva :tape: :rolls: It's a vicious circle.
But yeh, it is not WTA's or Caro's problem that the top players are injured and/or inconsistent.
It's also about the fact that a lot of this current crop of top players are complete headcases - even if they are fit and play, they play inexplicably poorly and lose a lot of matches that on paper they should romp away with.

Case in point - Stosur and Kuznetsova's losses in Beijing already. Upsets are one thing, they're good for the game, but can they be called upsets any longer when these sorts of things are a matter of routine? When was the last time the top 4 seeds reached the SFs of any big event? The last eight seeds reached the QFs? I'd love to know.

What is needed is a new generation of players who play the tour regularly, do well at the slams, and are mentally tough, and have natural feel for the game - i.e. can adapt to changing situations and are not programmed with just one way to play.

I'm not holding my breath.

kman
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM
But Caro, unlike Murray, doesn't even beat the elite in non-major tournaments. She beats the likes of Zvonareva and also loses against the likes of Zvonareva in slams so she doesn't even get to play the real elite. Mediocrity abounds.
And Clijsters lost 6-0 6-1 to Petrova, a player Caroline beat easily twice this year.

DownInAHole
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM

Aww, don't pick on Vera. She did play poorly in those two finals but I don't think you can blame skewed rankings or one-sided draws. If the seeded players played to their potential she wouldn't have gotten to those two finals.

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
But Caro, unlike Murray, doesn't even beat the elite in non-major tournaments. She beats the likes of Zvonareva and also loses against the likes of Zvonareva in slams so she doesn't even get to play the real elite. Mediocrity abounds. The high stake matches no longer exist and we get the likes of Caro and Vera fighting it out for final berths. Caro is hogging a lot so that she can keep up her overranked status which in turn gives her the chance to get the easier draws time and again - again a vicious cycle and then profits from a complete implosion of the field or non-existance of any field for that matter (Tokyo, Montreal didn't have any real elite players this year).

That sums it up for me, WTA tennis these days, unfortunately. I've followed womens tennis for more than 20 years, and what we have here is sad. Less than a handful of great matches every year.

Matt01
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:35 PM
Case in point - Stosur and Kuznetsova's losses in Beijing already. Upsets are one thing, they're good for the game, but can they be called upsets any longer when these sorts of things are a matter of routine? When was the last time the top 4 seeds reached the SFs of any big event? The last eight seeds reached the QFs? I'd love to know.

You do know that when the above regularly happened (like at the beginning of the 90s), women's tennis was often criticized for a lack of depth, for one-sided matches, and for boring match-ups? The same players always reaching the latter rounds of the Slams does not gurantee that there is quality on the tour.

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
You do know that when the above regularly happened (like at the beginning of the 90s), women's tennis was often criticized for a lack of depth, for one-sided matches, and for boring match-ups? The same players always reaching the latter rounds of the Slams does not gurantee that there is quality on the tour.
I do know that, and I agree, it can go too much the other way. But now it seems we've swung violently from one extreme to the other. From too much order we've now got complete chaos. And I agree that if the top 4 seeds all reached the SFs, for instance, it doesn't guarantee great matches - though to me it increased the likelihood of some good tennis being played.

I don't know what the answer is, I just don't like where womens tennis finds itself these days. It feels to me like we're on the Titanic, the ship is going down, and the people in charge and the fans are arguing about where the deckchairs are positioned.

kman
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
I do know that, and I agree, it can go too much the other way. But now it seems we've swung violently from one extreme to the other. From too much order we've now got complete chaos.

But do you admit that Caroline and Serena (when she plays) and perhaps one or two more players (Kim, Henin) are the only solid pillars amidst this chaos?

DownInAHole
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
It's also about the fact that a lot of this current crop of top players are complete headcases - even if they are fit and play, they play inexplicably poorly and lose a lot of matches that on paper they should romp away with.

What is needed is a new generation of players who play the tour regularly, do well at the slams, and are mentally tough, and have natural feel for the game - i.e. can adapt to changing situations and are not programmed with just one way to play.

I'm not holding my breath.

Yup.

I might be overly optimistic but I think 2011 will be much better. Maybe not quite what you are hoping for but I think that some of the younger players are going to step up their games and deliver some great tennis.

I'm going to go ahead and make a bold/insane prediction. All four grand slam finals will be competitive and decided in three sets and we will have two first time slam winners.

scoobz
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
But do you admit that Caroline and Serena (when she plays) and perhaps one or two more players are the only solid pillars amidst this chaos?
Yes, at opposite extremes - Serena ONLY at the slams and Caro anywhere BUT the slams.

kman
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Yes, at opposite extremes - Serena ONLY at the slams and Caro anywhere BUT the slams.

And now that Serena has been #1 for quite some time with the former, let's give Caroline some airtime at #1 for the latter.

There's no player who combines the two at the moment. No player more worthy.

terjw
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Not a chance. In how many important mags about hot women athletes has Wozniacki appeared in? That's right, in none of them. Nobody (except the Danish people) is interested in going to see Wozniacki. No one will be impressed with her either, especially if they see she isn't able to hit 1 winner in a single set, nobody will think she is really talented.

Sorry - but the #1 spot is earned by winning matches and tournaments. It has absolutely nothing to do with how many mags you are on or people's opinions or how well known the player is. It also has absolutely nothing to do with subjective and biased views as to who on this forum is impressed or thinks she's talented. Most people in the real world couldn't care less or know who the #1 is even or have any views or opinion as to the talent of the #1 - whether it's Serena or Caro or whoever and couldn't care less whether the #1 has or has not got a slam.

As to noone is impressed. I frequently hear real tennis experts on TV saying they are impressed with Caro and what she's done. Both Serena and Venus have recently specifically complimented Caro and been impressed with Caro. So saying noone is impressed is ridiculous.

As to who watches her. Eastbourne was pretty packed in 2009 to see her. Montreal, New Haven were pretty packed to see Caro. At New Haven - they love her. For such a huge stadium Tokyo looked like loads of people there watching. One things for sure - nobody is turning out to watch the big four because they are all out and not playing. And the slams where the big four are usually playing will always be packed no matter who is there. There's no evidence at all that courts are emplty and people are staying away and the courts are empty specifically because Caro is playing.

SymphonyX
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
QUICK! Someone make a quick switcheroo with Serena Williams! Serena playing under the name of whoever's playing Caroline next round.

terjw
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:16 PM

It's nothing to do with the ranking system. The ATP big two play the tour. The WTA big four don't and don't have enough wins and results on the tour to shut out everyone else from the #1 for years on end like Federer and Nadal.

toby345
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
She has to reach the quarterfinals first. :hysteric:

sammy01
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
And Clijsters lost 6-0 6-1 to Petrova, a player Caroline beat easily twice this year.

and clijsters hammered vera in a slam final, the same vera who beat caro in the semis in easy straight sets, your point being?

for me the wta gives too many points to P5 and mandatories. if you win one mandatory and 1 P5 you have earned more points than winning a grand slam, 300 points more IIRC. thats just stupid.

Crockett
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
if you win one mandatory and 1 P5 you have earned more points than winning a grand slam, 300 points more IIRC.
Close, but not quite. 2000 for winning a slam, 1000 for winning a PM, 900 for the P5.

C. W. Fields
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
You can argue whether Caro deserves the #1 spot, but I think it's better than the alternative; Serena not playing between Wimbledon and YEC (not by her own choice, I know) and still retaining her #1 ranking. In my eyes that would have been even worse and truly shown that not only are there no players on tour who can match Serena at the slams but there are also no players with enough game, mental strength and consistency to dominate the non-slam tournaments when the 'Big Four' usually arent playing. At least now we'll likely have a situation where Serena, if she wants her #1 ranking back (I don't know if she cares), will have to play more tournaments than just the slams since it'd be hard for her to earn extra points at the slams until September next year. While Caro on the other hand will have plenty of chances to earn extra points in the first half of the 2011 season.

Gdsimmons
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM

OMG!! Just :worship::worship:. Perfect post

sammy01
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Close, but not quite. 2000 for winning a slam, 1000 for winning a PM, 900 for the P5.

edit you are right, still caros winning tokyo plus beijing = just about points for a slam = sad = screwed wta rankings

Monzanator
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Well, out of the current power houses in WTA, Serena has played so rarely this season, Caro has barely had a chance to play against her, Clijsters and Venus also had a couple of mini-breaks, Henin is out for months and Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Jankovic and Safina are nowhere near their best. Dementieva's mental strenght or lack thereof has cost her twice vs Wozniacki already and Azarenka and Radwanska are very inconsistent. The only player on the real upswing is Zvonareva, but she doesn't get half a credit for being a real WTA power house. Stosur has had the biggest mojo ever since the clay season, but she is below par on hard courts which leaves her out too. Did I pass on anyone? Don't think so.

So adding thins up, there is nobody that Wozniacki can beat and gain some praise. The current WTA top 10 is in hibernation mode with everyone bar Woz and Vera not moving forward whatsoever. So Wozniacki racks up the numbers by beating perennial bridemaides at best but at least she doesn't choke away stupid losses to some random nobodies and is effectively granted a QF berth at any given event nowadays.

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Having a 20 year old playing for #1 certainly gives this week some juice.
Outside the majors, a new #1 is the biggest thing you can have

Adrian.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
So Flavia won't save the WTA :o

Please do it Sara :haha: or Kanepi :rocker2:

Shiffrin
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Let's go Shuai Peng :rocker2:

C. W. Fields
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
In her newest blog entry Caro writes that right now she doesn't really think much about maybe becoming #1 next week. Her main focus is to do well in Beijing and Doha and if she's #1 when the season is over then that's great. I also imagine Serena isn't thinking too much about the #1 spot right now. Her mind is probably on getting injury free, get some match training in Moscow and hopefully do well in Doha.
Kind of ironic with these big groups slugging it out here at TF, arguing about whether Caro or Serena deserves the #1 spot like the fate of the world depends on it, while the two central characters themselves likely have other things on their minds! :rolleyes:

MB.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
....arguing about whether Caro or Serena deserves the #1 spot like the fate of the world depends on it, while the two central characters themselves likely have other things on their minds! :rolleyes:

I get that you're a Caroline fan, but come on--you're not that gullible and not that naive.

Do you honestly believe that Caroline has 'other things on her mind' and isn't looking forward to be #1--the first Danish #1? It's every tennis players dream growing up, something they've worked at their whole lives, and Caroline's a few matches away from that, her would-be biggest accomplishment ever, and you think she has other things on her mind?

And you have the nerve to post ":rolleyes:" ...

danieln1
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
Who will be the WTA "savior"? :haha: :haha: This is so pathetic...

Caro so deserves the number 1 spot, she was the most consistent throughout the season, and will win a slam in the near future!

terjw
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
In her newest blog entry Caro writes that right now she doesn't really think much about maybe becoming #1 next week. Her main focus is to do well in Beijing and Doha and if she's #1 when the season is over then that's great. I also imagine Serena isn't thinking too much about the #1 spot right now. Her mind is probably on getting injury free, get some match training in Moscow and hopefully do well in Doha.
Kind of ironic with these big groups slugging it out here at TF, arguing about whether Caro or Serena deserves the #1 spot like the fate of the world depends on it, while the two central characters themselves likely have other things on their minds! :rolleyes:

Yes - that's the right attitude. If you keep winning titles - the #1 will happen. So focus on winning and don't waste time getting distracted by what has to happen to get to #1. Her focus will be to try to win Beijing. Not just make it to Quarter Finals. And to win a title - it's just one match at a time.

Same thing really with draws. Players always say they don't look. Although they probably do take a look at it - they won't waste any time thinking about it. They will be spending their time preparing for their next match.

Richie's
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Vamos Pusher!!! It's the pushers' ages!!

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
It took Safina and Jankovic a while to get to #1, because they were nervous.
Caro is playing for #1, her opponent doesnt have that pressure on her.

This wont be easy this week

Volcana
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Take all them out of the equation we're left with Caro as the best player.We're left with Wozniacki as the highest ranked player. Even if Williams2x, Henin, Clisjsters and Sharpaova all don't play next year, I'm still not favoring Wozniacki to win a slam. For all her consistency, she hasn't got a dominant game.

Jorn
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
3 WTA wins in a row and 2 big! Game or not she wins!

But as CW-F said, they (Caro and her dad) don't think about No. 1 yet, it will come some day...

Her dad said, they work every day so she can be a better player.

Jorn
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
I also think Caro want more to be Year End No. 1 than be No. 1 after next week and lose it again after YEC...

Crockett
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
I get that you're a Caroline fan, but come on--you're not that gullible and not that naive.

Do you honestly believe that Caroline has 'other things on her mind' and isn't looking forward to be #1--the first Danish #1? It's every tennis players dream growing up, something they've worked at their whole lives, and Caroline's a few matches away from that, her would-be biggest accomplishment ever, and you think she has other things on her mind?

She has stated consistently for several years that reaching number one is one of her personal goals. The other is to win a slam. I don't believe she has specified any particular order. She also mentioned right after the USO (on her blog, I think it was) that her goal for the rest of the season was to try to get to number one. So obviously she is aware of the possibility.

I doubt that she cares much about the specific Danish perspective. Her career is a personal project, not one of national pride. Of course, she does have a massive fan base here in Denmark - and in Poland too.

She also knows full well that if she gets to the number one spot soon, it is partially because Serena and Kim are not playing at the moment. Or at least Piotr acknowledges this. Here is what he was quoted as saying yesterday (first in Danish, then in my translation):

- Serena Williams og Kim Clijsters, to af de store mestre, er skadet. Det er klart det er lidt på den baggrund, hvis Caroline bliver nummer et, men det er jo ikke vores problem.

- Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters, two of the great champions, are injured. Obviously, that is part of the circumstances if Caroline reaches number one, but that is not really our problem.

Crockett
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
She also mentioned right after the USO (on her blog, I think it was) that her goal for the rest of the season was to try to get to number one.
Well, almost. Here is an excerpt from her blog (dated September 12):

Min næste turnering er i Asien, hvor jeg spiller i Tokyo og Beijing. Det er altid svært at komme til Asien at spille, da kulturen er meget anderledes og jeg føler mig ikke helt hjemme der. Jeg håber dog jeg kan levere nogle gode resultater, så jeg vil have muligheden for at slutte som nummer 1 i verden, når året er omme.

My next tournament is in Asia where I am playing in Tokyo and Beijing. It is always difficult to go to Asia to play because the culture is quite different and I don't feel quite at home there. I am hoping to deliver some good results so that I get the opportunity to end the year ranked as number one.

C. W. Fields
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM

Yes, I am that gullible and naive. I have a tendency to believe people are mostly truthful. It's a pretty normal Danish attitude but not one you share apparently. Caro certainly hasn't given me cause to believe she's a liar or anything but what she appears to be; a pretty straight forward and down to earth 20 years old girl.
And apart from being a compatriot I've followed her career closely from probably long before you even heard of her so just maybe I have a slightly better feel for what kind of person she is than you do.

terjw
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Yes, I am that gullible and naive. I have a tendency to believe people are mostly truthful. It's a pretty normal Danish attitude but not one you share apparently. Caro certainly hasn't given me cause to believe she's a liar or anything but what she appears to be; a pretty straight forward and down to earth 20 years old girl.
And apart from being a compatriot I've followed her career closely from probably long before you even heard of her so just maybe I have a slightly better feel for what kind of person she is than you do.

:yeah:

Vikapower
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:12 PM

:lol: There's no need to argue because it's obvious Caro's main goal is to be #1... that's her main objective... she also wants to win a slam which is very more unsure and difficult than being #1 these days... Seriously like no one cares if Caro is #1 or not unless her fans... :lol:

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Whenever there is a new #1, its meaningful.
Its the highest ranking anyone can reach.
And all players want to get there.

Vikapower
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
^^ And why Tennisfan66 tries to deny that... :lol: moreover it's meaningful for her fans and the player herself but basically most don't care about that especially when you know how comic the rankings has been these last 2 years.

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:47 PM
People care about rankings. There are about 10 different threads on it.
Its a big deal to get there, and a bigger deal to stay there

Vikapower
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:06 PM
^^ Aren't they made by mostly people who dislike Caro ? lol I'm surprised you even take in these threads seriously... :lol: As a Caro fan I don't even care about what people say about her ranking and you should do the same... most don't care about if Caro is #1... as for her staying is very much improbable...

DownInAHole
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:46 PM
Does anyone know how many points are awarded for winning in Moscow? I'm just wondering if it is possible for Caroline to be number one for a couple of weeks and then for Serena to regain it. If Caroline wins her first two matches in Beijing but loses her third match that will not give her much of a lead. So if Serena plays and wins Moscow could she be number one again?

TennisFan66
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
^^ And why Tennisfan66 tries to deny that... :lol: moreover it's meaningful for her fans and the player herself but basically most don't care about that especially when you know how comic the rankings has been these last 2 years.

I try to deny what exactly? .. I always struggle to make any sense, head or tail to your messages. This time is no exception ..

LeonHart
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:59 PM
Well if Jelena and Safina can reach #1, why not Wozniacki?

And unlike the latter, I believe Wozniacki is due for a GS.

Gdsimmons
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:10 PM
Does anyone know how many points are awarded for winning in Moscow? I'm just wondering if it is possible for Caroline to be number one for a couple of weeks and then for Serena to regain it. If Caroline wins her first two matches in Beijing but loses her third match that will not give her much of a lead. So if Serena plays and wins Moscow could she be number one again?

You get 470 points for winning Moscow.

Joshua_chan
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:58 AM
caro go!

Potato
Oct 4th, 2010, 04:27 AM
http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1205682

WORLD NUMBER ONE CAROLINE WOZNIACKI

Sp!ffy
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:26 AM
She's played well this year so I think she deserves it. It's not our fault Serena played like 4 tournaments. :shrug:

Pasta-Na
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:27 AM

mean :o

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:28 AM

Did she miss a shot once? How dare she!
Justine was very complimentary about Caroline after that match

Spiritof42
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Based on what? :shrug: Because there are a lot of people in the stands? That has always been the case in Montréal.
Based on several factors, including the number of people watching her AND cheering for her, the way people (and the local media) were talking about her during (and after) the tournament, the number of people showing up for her practice sessions, etc. Since I spent most of the week there, I think I have a pretty good grasp of what was going on.

You're entitled to your opinion about Wozniacki as much as anyone else, but sooner or later you'll have to accept the fact that just because YOU bitterly dislike her doesn't mean the entire world shares your point of view. Nor does it have to.

Spiritof42
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
edit you are right, still caros winning tokyo plus beijing = just about points for a slam = sad = screwed wta rankings
Why? On the men's side, 2 Masters 1000 titles = 2000 points = 1 Grand Slam. Yet I don't hear too many people whining about the ATP ranking system being "screwed" at the moment. Of course, unlike what's happening in the WTA, Federer, Nadal and the rest of the ATP elite do actually show up regularly at Masters 1000 events. :lol:

Wozniacki has been racking up the titles in the last couple of months (including 2 Tier Ones) while the current world number one hasn't played a WTA match since Wimbledon. She was obviously going to catch up to her sooner or later. It's not the most glorious way to achieve the highest ranking, but the tour is not going to grind to a halt waiting for Serena Williams to recover from her injury.

SAEKeithSerena
Oct 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Serena has played SIX tournaments this year. She was lucky to have held it for so long. So it's really not anyone's "fault," but Caroline's dedication. Amen if you get it Caroline, you earned it.

TennisFan66
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Based on several factors, including the number of people watching her AND cheering for her, the way people (and the local media) were talking about her during (and after) the tournament, the number of people showing up for her practice sessions, etc. Since I spent most of the week there, I think I have a pretty good grasp of what was going on.

You're entitled to your opinion about Wozniacki as much as anyone else, but sooner or later you'll have to accept the fact that just because YOU bitterly dislike her doesn't mean the entire world shares your point of view. Nor does it have to.

If I was Peter Pan, I would admit defeat now :lol: ..

GrandMartha
Oct 4th, 2010, 05:16 PM
congrats i guess :)

goldenlox
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Wozniacki is compiling a lot of points since Wimbledon.
Also, Serena has a lot to defend at the YEC and AO.

That makes the race very interesting ending this year and going into next year.

If Caro keeps winning titles, Serena will have to play a semi-full schedule to catch her.

Ballbasher
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
[Unless she faces Kaia :angel:]Get that ranking, Caro! :yeah: She had some stellar months lately.

Setsuna.
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Who cares anyway if she got the #1 spot! she isn't the best player and won't be in the near future.

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Not only could she get the #1 spot. If she keeps playing like she has, she can have a lead of 2000 points or so after the YEC, or AO.
Now in 2010 points she has a 1000 lead

Juju Nostalgique
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I will kill myself! Seriously! :weirdo: :sobbing:

Juju Nostalgique
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

Njalle
Oct 5th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I will kill myself! Seriously! :weirdo: :sobbing:
Please an hero. One less stupid hater. :bounce:

Juju Nostalgique
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Please an hero. One less stupid hater. :bounce:

:lol:

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I should pull some of those old threads where the haters were saying Caro didnt belong in the top 20.
But I'll just enjoy reading the stupidity of the haters. It never ends.

Juju Nostalgique
Oct 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM
... I'll just enjoy reading the stupidity of the haters. It never ends.

Yeah... Indeed... :lol:

jiri-nedved
Oct 5th, 2010, 09:32 PM
she is not through to the quarter final yet. she still has to play errani and kvitova. but if she loses before quarter final what will wozniacki have to do to get there by the end of the year?

Julian.
Oct 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM
she is not through to the quarter final yet. she still has to play errani and kvitova. but if she loses before quarter final what will wozniacki have to do to get there by the end of the year?

Winning the YEC should seal it I think.

goldenlox
Oct 5th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Caro probably doesnt have to win the YEC to finish #1. But right now, the race for #1 is all thats left this year

Jajaloo
Oct 6th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Even if she doesn't get to the QF, points for the YEC come off before it stars, so she should be #1 for the YEC anyway right?

Gdsimmons
Oct 6th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Even if she doesn't get to the QF, points for the YEC come off before it stars, so she should be #1 for the YEC anyway right?

No. YEC is the same week again this year so it doesnt come off before

Slamniacki
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:23 PM

:haha:

Julian.
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:29 PM
one more victory away from world #1 now, only Petra Kvitova standing on her way.

Serenus Christ
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
is there a God?

kman
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Yes. And his name is Piotr.

Pops Maellard
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Go Caro. :cheer: Just ONE more.

JustPetko
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Petra :cheer:

Pops Maellard
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM

All players make embarrassing misses like this at times. :lol:

ZODIAC
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I think Caro deserves to get to no.1 this year because she is winning a lot and Serena should accept that since she has only played only 3 WTA events.

Just Do It
Oct 6th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Someone link Kvitova to this thread :bowdown:

Adrian.
Oct 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Go Petra :cheer:

Carotastrophe
Oct 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Caro really does deserve this No.1 she is the best player with the Belgians and serena not playing, she has won quite a fair share of tournaments, has the most win's, and probably the most titles.

goldenlox
Oct 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Caro has won the most titles in 1 year since Henin in 2007
But a big chunk of these points is after Wimbledon, so she keeps them for a while.
If she keeps playing this consistently, she is going to be #1 unless Serena plays a lot

JamieOwen3
Oct 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM
if she wasn't a nice girl id probably be dragging my hair out right now :haha: but she's too nice not to congratulate :D

rockstar
Oct 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
i cant believe people are saying caro being number 1 would be a joke to the wta.

serena being number 1 with like 6 (or whatever) events is a bigger joke to the tour

JamieOwen3
Oct 6th, 2010, 01:14 PM
well not really, it would be a joke if serena had not won 2 slams but anyway :p

Donny
Oct 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
i cant believe people are saying caro being number 1 would be a joke to the wta.

serena being number 1 with like 6 (or whatever) events is a bigger joke to the tour

There's not a soul on earth who'd rather have Caro's results than Serena's.

Valanga
Oct 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Tennis is dead. Sayonara.

Patrick345
Oct 6th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Caro really does deserve this No.1 she is the best player with the Belgians and serena not playing,

Makes you wonder why she hasn´t won THE Grand Slam, or at least A Grand Slam, since she didn´t meet a single Belgian or Serena in any of the four Slams? :confused: