PDA

View Full Version : Who will get 2010 WTA awards?

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:24 AM
My guess:

Player of the year: Serena Williams
Most Improved Player: Francesca Schiavone/Samantha Stosur/Vera Zvonareva/
Most Impressive Newcomer: Can't think of anyone :help: (Jovanovski/Pervak/Halep/Vandeweghe?)
Comeback Player of the Year: Justine Henin

Most Impressive Newcomer
2009 Melanie Oudin
2008 Caroline Wozniacki
2007 Ágnes Szávay
2006 Agnieszka Radwańska
2005 Sania Mirza
2004 Tatiana Golovin
2003 Maria Sharapova
2002 Svetlana Kuznetsova
2001 Daniela Hantuchová

Most Improved Player
2009 Yanina Wickmayer
2008 Dinara Safina
2007 Ana Ivanović
2006 Jelena Janković
2005 Ana Ivanović
2004 Maria Sharapova
2003 Nadia Petrova
2002 Daniela Hantuchová
2001 Justine Henin
2000 Elena Dementieva

Comeback Player of the Year
2009 Kim Clijsters
2008 Zheng Jie
2007 Lindsay Davenport
2006 Martina Hingis
2005 Kim Clijsters
2004 Serena Williams
2003 Amélie Mauresmo

Player of the Year
2009 Serena Williams
2008 Serena Williams
2007 Justine Henin
2006 Amélie Mauresmo
2005 Kim Clijsters
2004 Maria Sharapova
2003 Justine Henin
2002 Serena Williams
2001 Jennifer Capriati
2000 Venus Williams

Pasta-Na
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:27 AM
^ most improved player... franny. :o

Lord Choc Ice
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:38 AM
Player of the Year: Serena or Clijsters.
Most Improved Player: Fran obviously.
Impressive Newcomer? :help:
Comeback: Justine I suppose...

young_gunner913
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:38 AM
^ most improved player... franny. :o

Yeah. Srsly Stosur? She's still playing like shit. :spit:

goldenlox
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:04 AM
Is Date eligible for Comeback? Maybe for Newcomer?

Wiggly
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:18 AM
Player of the Year: Serena.
Most Improved Player: Francesca.
Impressive Newcomer : Anastija Sevastova? She won a Title and beat Jankovic.
Comeback: Kimiko, Justine or Kaia.

Would not be surprising to see Wozniacki receiving some kind of award.

Kəv.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:29 AM
Most improved player : Francesca or Sam
Impressive newcomer : Scheepers or Jovanovski or Sevastova
Comeback : Kimiko Date Krumm

Njalle
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:32 AM
Impressive Newcomer: Kanepi
- she may not be new per se, but boy she has made a name of herself recently. She would deserve it.

tennis-insomniac
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:34 AM
MIP : Franny :worship:
INC: Pavly?
Comeback: KDK, Justine(but got injured again)...

Steadyniacki
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:06 AM
Impressive newcomer: DULGHERU!!!
Comeback player: Should be KANEPI :awww:

Inger67
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:26 AM
Player of the Year: Serena
Most Improved: Fran
Impressive Newcomer: Pavly?
Comeback Player: Henin or Kaia

justineheninfan
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:12 AM
Player of the Year: Serena will win it unless Kim wins the WTA Championships then Kim will win it.

Most Improved: The French Open final was basically the final for this award too. Schiavone wins unless Stosur tears up the final 2 months of the season.

Impressive Newcomer: This award should just be left blank. The dearth of young talent in the game has become increasingly distressing and has hit its apex this year. Probably that fat long named Russian who can only get 3 games off Schiavone and Date by default.

Comeback: Date or Kanepi should win it. Unfortunately Henin will probably win it because of her name but she doesnt deserve it. Her comeback thus far has been a big dissapointment.

Temperenka
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:30 AM
POY: Serena
Improved: Fran
Newcomer: Pavly
Comeback: Henin

Caralenko
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:49 AM
Comeback: Date or Kanepi should win it. Unfortunately Henin will probably win it because of her name but she doesnt deserve it. Her comeback thus far has been a big dissapointment.

She made a slam final and won 2 titles, which is more than Kanepi or Date can say. :weirdo: Just because she may not have lived up to your expectations doesn't mean she doesn't deserve the comeback award.

justineheninfan
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:57 AM
Date and Kanepi are not former #1s or 7 slam Champions. Date was 39 years old. Relative to expectations and past standards both have done far better than Henin has. I dont think you should be awarded a comeback award for doing much worse than you were expected to do by most in your comeback.

Nobody can seriously say in practical terms Henin's comeback has been more of a success than Date's.

Roookie
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:22 AM
WTA Player of the year: Kim Clijsters. Slam and 3 WTA titles :shrug:

tennis-insomniac
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:24 AM
Now I seriously think Caro has a shot for best player if she wins YEC

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Guys, I don't think Pavlyuchenkova and especially Scheepers can be considered newcomers this year :lol:

Steadyniacki
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:29 AM
dulgheru should win it :tears:

She wasnt really on tour much of last year now a solid top 30 good effort.

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
Coco Vandeweghe for Impressive Newcomer?

tennis-insomniac
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
Hope so :bounce: but have to see if she plays well for the rest of season burger GS result is :tape:
Maybe none would receive it his year

I've been thinking Mirjana Lucic really deserve comeback player morethan anyone IMO

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:43 AM
Player of the Year - Serena
Most Improved - Franny

Those should most definitely happen

Umberella
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:53 AM
Player of the year: Caro (probably will be ranked no1 for the last 3 months of the year, plus she's won most titles on tour and plays so many more events than Serena. Either lady would be a good choice though)

Most Improved Player: Fran (GS champ out of nowhere)

Most Impressive Newcomer: Coco (By default? Not many options)

Comeback Player of the Year: Kimiko (Her or Juju)

shoryuken
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
POY - Serena - 2 Slams and been number since Nov 2009 (~48 consecutive weeks)

Cp6uja
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:21 AM
Player of the Year: Serena Williams (alternate: Schiavone if wins YEC and FED Cup)
Most Improved Player: Vera Zvonareva or Francesca Schiavone (depending on end of season)
Newcomer: Coco Vandeweghe or Bojana Jovanovski, or even some of "late bloomers": Rezai, Pironkova, Kvitova :devil:
Comeback: Justine Henin (alternate: Kaia Kanepi)

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
^ How could Rezai and Pironkova be considered newcomers this year? :sobbing:

networthy
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM
My guess:

Most Improved Player: Samantha Stosur

I think you mean "enhanced."

Cp6uja
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
^ How could Rezai and Pironkova be considered newcomers this year? :sobbing:That was joke part of my post... but they deserved to be mentioned here like players which really improve this season at theirs peak.

WhoAmI?
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:53 AM
Player of the year: Serena Williams or Wozniacki:shrug:
Most Improved Player: Schiavone
Most Impressive Newcomer: Rezai or Pavlyuchenkova :shrug: :confused:

Well, Rezai won Madrid and 1 MM title, she really wasn't on the picture last year and Pavlyuchenkova won her first 2 titles, got into top 20. There really isn't someone else imo.

And I don't think KDK or Kanepi would be eligible as comeback players. Kanepi wasn't away from the Tour, she was just slumping and Date Krumm has been playing tournaments for 2 years now.

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:31 AM
^ Rezai isn't eligible for newcomer of the year. You must be really new to the WTA tour this year to be able to win that :lol:

WhoAmI?
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Neither is Pavlyuchenkova really, so leave it blank then:confused:

Who got the newcomer award last year?

Lord Choc Ice
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:37 AM
How about awards for Biggest Tantrum, Choker of the Year etc.?

:spit:

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Neither is Pavlyuchenkova really, so leave it blank then:confused:

Who got the newcomer award last year?

Most Impressive Newcomer
2009 Melanie Oudin
2008 Caroline Wozniacki
2007 Ágnes Szávay
2006 Agnieszka Radwańska
2005 Sania Mirza
2004 Tatiana Golovin
2003 Maria Sharapova
2002 Svetlana Kuznetsova
2001 Daniela Hantuchová

Most Improved Player
2009 Yanina Wickmayer
2008 Dinara Safina
2007 Ana Ivanović
2006 Jelena Janković
2005 Ana Ivanović
2004 Maria Sharapova
2003 Nadia Petrova
2002 Daniela Hantuchová
2001 Justine Henin
2000 Elena Dementieva

Comeback Player of the Year
2009 Kim Clijsters
2008 Zheng Jie
2007 Lindsay Davenport
2006 Martina Hingis
2005 Kim Clijsters
2004 Serena Williams
2003 Amélie Mauresmo

Player of the Year
2009 Serena Williams
2008 Serena Williams
2007 Justine Henin
2006 Amélie Mauresmo
2005 Kim Clijsters
2004 Maria Sharapova
2003 Justine Henin
2002 Serena Williams
2001 Jennifer Capriati
2000 Venus Williams

Steadyniacki
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:47 AM
:sobbing:

WhoAmI?
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Most Impressive Newcomer
2009 Melanie Oudin
2008 Caroline Wozniacki
2007 Ágnes Szávay
2006 Agnieszka Radwańska
2005 Sania Mirza
2004 Tatiana Golovin
2003 Maria Sharapova
2002 Svetlana Kuznetsova
2001 Daniela Hantuchová

Most Improved Player
2009 Yanina Wickmayer
2008 Dinara Safina
2007 Ana Ivanović
2006 Jelena Janković
2005 Ana Ivanović
2004 Maria Sharapova
2003 Nadia Petrova
2002 Daniela Hantuchová
2001 Justine Henin
2000 Elena Dementieva

No one could even do what Oudin did. :sobbing:
I have no idea.

Julian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:55 AM
There should really be an award for Most deproved player for WTA sake :sobbing:

nevetssllim
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
How about awards for Biggest Tantrum, Choker of the Year etc.?

:spit:

Zahlavova Strycova could win both of those awards. :hearts:

Lord Choc Ice
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
Zahlavova Strycova could win both of those awards. :hearts:

Nah, give the Choker of the Year award to Vesnina. :tears:

Ballbasher
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Didn't the Most Impressive Newcomer awards always go to the player, who was the highest ranked among those, who were outside of the Top100 at the beginning of the year and never been within the Top100? :p Who would that be?

Ballbasher
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
I think it is Johanna Larsson, so my vote goes to her!

Monzanator
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Player of the Year: Serena or Kim :shrug:
Most Improved: Schiavone
Newcomer: Anastasija Sevastova
Comeback: Henin or Molik :shrug:

Jajaloo
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Newcomer - Petra Kvitová?

Lucemferre
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Player of the Year: Serena or Kim :shrug:
Most Improved: Schiavone
Newcomer: Anastasija Sevastova
Comeback: Henin or Molik :shrug:

For wta yes but I wouldn't be so sure about itf player of the year. They will give it to wozniacki if she ends year as no.1:tape:

nicidle
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:39 PM
choker of the year: elena dementieva

GreenGrass
Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:49 PM
player of the year - Caro
most improved - Vera Zvonareva
newcomer - Dulgheru? :confused:
comeback - Henin? :confused:

Jajaloo
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
For wta yes but I wouldn't be so sure about itf player of the year. They will give it to wozniacki if she ends year as no.1:tape:

JJ lost it to Serena at the end of 2008, despite ending yr end no. 1 and getting to the semi finals of AO, RG and the final of the USO and winning Rome and winning Moscow, Beijing and Stuttgart back to back to back.

Lucemferre
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
JJ lost it to Serena at the end of 2008, despite ending yr end no. 1 and getting to the semi finals of AO, RG and the final of the USO and winning Rome and winning Moscow, Beijing and Stuttgart back to back to back.

Yes but she won itf player of the year award which is my point.Itf has an obsession with year end no1 so it won't be a big shock to me if they hand it to wozniacki or whoever is year end no1 other than serena.

tennis-insomniac
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
Kiki could have been the newcomer if it wasn't the injury :sad:

olivero
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
Player of the year: Serena
Most improved: Fran
Newcomer: either Sevastova or Vandeveghe I guess
comeback: Henin

Matt01
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
She made a slam final and won 2 titles, which is more than Kanepi or Date can say. :weirdo: Just because she may not have lived up to your expectations doesn't mean she doesn't deserve the comeback award.

I hope you know that for the poster you quoted, facts and numbers aren't important. Would have, could, have, should have, that is what counts :) :tape:

iGOAT
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Player of the Year: Serena Williams (shoe-in).
Most Improved Player: Francesca Schiavone (slightly beats Stosur unless Stosur wins the YEC maybe).
Newcomer of the Year: Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (first two titles make her considered "new" and Wozniacki got it two years ago in a similar position, also youngest teen in the top 20).
Comeback Player of the Year: Justine Henin (the Aussie final makes it a certainty).
Doubles Team of the Year: Serena Williams/Venus Williams (unless King/Shvedova win the YEC).
Sportsmanship Award: Kim Clijsters (she always gets it :p).
Humanitarian Award: Tough. Huber has gotten it a lot for her stuff but IMO Serena Williams and Justine Henin could be deserving for the work they have done.

homogenius
Oct 2nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
POY : Serena
Most improved : Schiavone (but maybe they'll give it to Woz if she become n°1 before the end of th eyear)
Newcomer : none ?
Comeback player : Justine or Kaia

Protoss
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Player of the Year: Serena Williams (shoe-in).
Most Improved Player: Francesca Schiavone (slightly beats Stosur unless Stosur wins the YEC maybe).
Newcomer of the Year: Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (first two titles make her considered "new" and Wozniacki got it two years ago in a similar position, also youngest teen in the top 20).
Comeback Player of the Year: Justine Henin (the Aussie final makes it a certainty).
Doubles Team of the Year: Serena Williams/Venus Williams (unless King/Shvedova win the YEC).
Sportsmanship Award: Kim Clijsters (she always gets it :p).
Humanitarian Award: Tough. Huber has gotten it a lot for her stuff but IMO Serena Williams and Justine Henin could be deserving for the work they have done.
Pavlyuchenkova made it into the top 30 (as high as #27 I think) and finished the year at #39 or #41 (her profile at wtatour.com says #39 but the year end rankings document says #41). I don't think that she can be considered a newcomer this season then.

What about Kim's comments after losing to Petrova for instance though? Those certainly weren't good sportsmanship. :rolleyes:

Break My Rapture
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Player of the year will go to Pushniacki since she's the WTA favorite like that.
Most improved player: Schiavone or Stosur
Newcomer: Sevastova?
Comeback: Kimiko

MH0861
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:35 PM
2010 Doubles MILF comeback of the year: Lindsay Davenport :hearts:

justineheninfan
Oct 2nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Yes but she won itf player of the year award which is my point.Itf has an obsession with year end no1 so it won't be a big shock to me if they hand it to wozniacki or whoever is year end no1 other than serena.

I dont think anyone will award Player of the Year to a slamless player, or a player who didnt even reach a slam final (that is key), in a year someone else won 2 slams. They might award it to a player with 1 slam, in other words I could see someone maybe giving it to Kim if she wins the WTA Championships. However I cant see anyway they give it to Wozniacki in a year she didnt make a slam final and Serena won 2 of the 3 slams she played, even if Wozniacki sweeps the rest of the year.

Junzilla69
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM
Dulknetta for Doubles Team of the Year.

Leo_DFP
Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
No newcomer......

But what the hell was Mauresmo coming back from in 2003? Can someone enlighten me? Maybe she had some injury I'm forgetting about in the beginning of '03, but she made the semis of both 2002 Wimbledon and USO.......

Julian.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
No newcomer......

But what the hell was Mauresmo coming back from in 2003? Can someone enlighten me? Maybe she had some injury I'm forgetting about in the beginning of '03, but she made the semis of both 2002 Wimbledon and USO.......

I'm wondering the same thing :lol:

Renalicious
Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Player of the year - Serena
Most Improve - Fran or Zvonareva
Impressive newcomer - Riske maybe of something. :lol:
Comeback - has to be Justine I guess...

Julian.
Oct 4th, 2010, 06:20 PM
So Jovanovski for Most Impressive Newcomer? :wavey:

Cp6uja
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:08 PM
So Jovanovski for Most Impressive Newcomer? :wavey:Many people here recommend Sevastova for no reason. She is older than last year's newcomer Oudin and even than 2008 most impressive newcomer (and current WTA#2) Wozniacki, and also, Sevastova finished last season at #81. Similar thing about Hercog (finished 2009 like TOP70).

This season we don't have obvious #1 contender, but only two players is serious contenders by usual criteria - Bojana Jovanovski and Coco Vandeweghe. Coco has two really great results (QF's at Premier and Premier-5 event) at her's favorite fast HC surface, but more than 2/3 of her rankings points coming only from this two great achievements (she is so bad in rest of season), and she still not reach TOP100. On other hand Jovanovski reach TOP100 at Wimbledon and since that moment she is youngest player into WTA TOP100, and has nice chance to finish season into WTA TOP70 (last season finished at #196)... and if she beat Peer in next round in Beijing and reach Premier Mandatory QF, she should to become ultimate contender for this award.

It's interesting that despite very notable results at young ages Monica Seles, Jelena Dokic, Jelena Jankovic, Ana Ivanovic, or any other player which ever represent Serbia (including ATP Djokovic), never won this official Most Impressive Newcomer award... so it will be some kind of late justice ;)

Julian.
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:14 PM
^ Yeah, I think it will come down to Jovanovski and Vandeweghe

miffedmax
Oct 4th, 2010, 09:04 PM
And in the Anti-categories:

Bust of the Year: Vika Azarenka--wasn't she going to challenge at slams this year?
Least Improved: Dani--former top 10 is heading out with a pathetic fizzle, not a blaze of glory
Fade Back into Deserved Obscurity: Melanie Oudin--in the immortal words of the White Stripes, "so completely stupid, just go away."
Idiot Injury: Elena Dementieva--good Lord woman, if you're going to fuck up your season this completely, at least set yourself up to win comeback player in 2011 since you're NEVER going to win a goddam slam :sobbing:

Julian.
Oct 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have a feeling that Wozniacki will get player of the year :lol:

Break My Rapture
Oct 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
I have a feeling that Wozniacki will get player of the year :lol:
Of course she will. It was planned all along.

Julian.
Nov 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM
My guess after Doha:

Player of the year: Kim Clijsters
Most Improved Player: Francesca Schiavone/Samantha Stosur/Vera Zvonareva (still can't decide :tape:)
Most Impressive Newcomer: Bojana Jovanovski

Monzanator
Nov 1st, 2010, 05:43 PM
Remember WTA is jumping for Wozniacki as the new poster girl, Kim had a part-time season really and Serena... well, we all know about her. Despite the fact Woz didn't win a slam and lost YEC, she's still the #1 fav IMO.

WhoAmI?
Dec 1st, 2010, 09:19 PM
Newcomer - Petra Kvitová?

Player of the Year: Serena Williams (alternate: Schiavone if wins YEC and FED Cup)
Most Improved Player: Vera Zvonareva or Francesca Schiavone (depending on end of season)
Newcomer: Coco Vandeweghe or Bojana Jovanovski, or even some of "late bloomers": Rezai, Pironkova, Kvitova :devil:
Comeback: Justine Henin (alternate: Kaia Kanepi)

Good call:spit: