PDA

View Full Version : When will women's tennis get better?

RenaSlam.
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:10 PM
Don't hold your breath. :lick:

AjdeNate!
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:13 PM
When Justine comes back and she and CanWoz are battling for every major.

MaBaker
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:17 PM
Soon, I promise :hug:

Juju Nostalgique
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:20 PM
I don't hold my tits... :sobbing:

Volcana
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Next year. And the year after. And the year after.

It's always getting better.

Sammo
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:26 PM
Maybe if tomorrow Elena defeats Caroline it may get a bit better :shrug:

Direwolf
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM
Is it only me ... or I think that this year is Quite an Improvement already.

The top players are playing consistently...

Theyre just not playing more.

DownInAHole
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM

I agree.

TennisFan66
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM
When will someone run faster than Jesse Owen, run a sub 4 min mile, jump longer than Bob Beamon ...?

Oh WAIT ....

Sammo
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:56 PM
Is it only me ... or I think that this year is Quite an Improvement already.

The top players are playing consistently...

Theyre just not playing more.

Top players winning yeah... in a horrible way just look at Clijsters' US Open victory

selesisqueen
Oct 1st, 2010, 06:36 PM
If Justine's form improves, if Kim becomes more consistent, if Dementieva or some of the other Russians get it back together again, and if Stosur becomes more consistent, and of course if the up and comers step up. I dont think at her age Serena will get any better than she is at this point already, Venus is already past her prime, and Maria despite her youth is pretty much finished as far as being at the very top or even winning a slam most likely. So it is basically up to Clijsters, Henin, Wozniacki, Azarenka, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Stosur, to improve from what they were this year, and for Serena to try to hold onto her form of this year.

sammy01
Oct 1st, 2010, 06:41 PM
i don't hold out much hope. i hadn't watched a ball struck at tokyo until last night when i sat through 2 whole sets of that shit that was caro vs vika, didn't even bother to watch the 3rd set as it was so bad.

those are supposed to be the 2 next best things in womens tennis, if thats whats to come then no thanks.

TSequoia01
Oct 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM
I think tennis in general will improve when the WTA improves. I mean, ITF tennis is doing just fine. Challengers, Slams, and Fed cup ties do just fine. Mistakes were made when the WTA tried to mandate who plays when. The best players resisted it, and still play when they want, or even less. The rankings become skewed due to less play and in the case of Serena even a down right boycott. When a war breaks out between the players and the governing body, tennis can not win.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:21 PM
When we discover a time-machine and turn back time to 2004-2006:yeah:

QueenBee
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:29 PM
When the pigs fly...

ZODIAC
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:51 PM
THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS,those good ole days are gone.There are no compelling matchups anymore everyone is middle of the road except for Serena.The tour needs four players who are as talented as Serena to energize the girls...otherwise we will be watching pushers and df queens like pova for a long time..

Vartan
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM
When winnerpova comes back!

Matt01
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
When we discover a time-machine and turn back time to 2004-2006:yeah:

2004 and 2006 were very poor years for the WTA...

mashasabinefan1
Oct 1st, 2010, 09:03 PM
When Woz retires,don't think its a coincidence that women's tennis started sucking ever since she burst onto the scene.:(:p

Vikapower
Oct 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS,those good ole days are gone.There are no compelling matchups anymore everyone is middle of the road except for Serena.The tour needs four players who are as talented as Serena to energize the girls...otherwise we will be watching pushers and df queens like pova for a long time..

That's the only thing we might ever agree on though the talented as Serena is really way too less... :o as talented as Maria the tour would be spectacular, breathless, entertaining... just wonderful artistery at the highest... to me the tour will simply get better when the younger players finally step up... it's certainly not Kimmie's, Serena's... ultra light calendars that would energise anything...

ZODIAC
Oct 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM
most young players dont have personalities...during the late 90s and early 2000s tennis was exciting even the men s tour was lagging behind the ladies.The sisters breathed life into the tour from 1999 to 2002 and then the drama...the bitchy press conferences from Rena and Hingis,all that gave us anticipation for the next event...during that period the WTA didn have empty stadiums.
I will never pay to watch say Dushevina vs Ana..booooring

DownInAHole
Oct 1st, 2010, 09:51 PM
When Woz retires,don't think its a coincidence that women's tennis started sucking ever since she burst onto the scene.:(:p

I think you are giving her far too much blame. If a magic wand was waved and made her go away tomorrow would the tour really be any better off? I understand that a lot of people do not like her but how is she making the other players any worse?

mashasabinefan1
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:03 PM
I think you are giving her far too much blame. If a magic wand was waved and made her go away tomorrow would the tour really be any better off? I understand that a lot of people do not like her but how is she making the other players any worse?

Lolz it was a joke, hence the :p

Ferg
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM
When Serena and Venus retire.

Sammo
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:10 PM
It will be getting worse and worse until it's so horrible that will originate the Big Crunch, and it will be the end of the whole universe.

Harvs
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:28 PM
we need maria to start playing amazing again. and we need serena, venus, kim and justine to play more.
they are the big 5 names in the game and bring in the most fans and interest to the sport.

we also need some young girls to really step up and break through when they are younger so we have new stars

DownInAHole
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:29 PM
Lolz it was a joke, hence the :p

Oops. My mistake. In my defense there do seem to be quite a few people who believe what you wrote.

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:33 PM
I thought the 2 semis from Tokyo were very entertaining.
There's a lot on the line, as there is in this final.
Lena can get closer to being in the YEC. Caro can move closer to #1 and further distance herself from the field.

The Dawntreader
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:38 PM
When all (or any elite player) can snap themelves out of their funks.

rjd1111
Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:48 AM
When Justine comes back and she and CanWoz are battling for every major.

I sense a dark looming presence that will get in the way

of that happening.

pierce85
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:09 AM
I sense a dark looming presence that will get in the way

of that happening.

Boy she wants to know, why are you so obsessed with her?

young_gunner913
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:10 AM
When the Great Wall of Denmark comes down.

AnomyBC
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:43 AM

You sound like a brainwashed zombie :)

Anyway, the answer is this: When Sharapova starts winning majors again :)

DownInAHole
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:50 AM
When the Great Wall of Denmark comes down.

As a Wozniacki fan even I have to admit that is both clever and funny. Well struck.

DownInAHole
Oct 2nd, 2010, 03:51 AM
You sound like a brainwashed zombie :)

Anyway, the answer is this: When Sharapova starts winning majors again :)

The alternative being, what? Chicken Little?

C. W. Fields
Oct 18th, 2010, 10:33 AM
“We’re talking about a sport today in which the competition isn’t there like it used to be... The skills aren’t there like they used to be... Clearly, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, because he’s beaten the men of his era. He just happens to fight in an era which is utterly devoid of skilled opposition."

When I read this article I thought it sounded a lot like some of the current descriptions of womens tennis and what it'll look like in a few years when the Big Four retire and Caro'll only face headcases (their words, not mine).
But actually it's a description of Vitali Klitschko and the men's boxing heavyweight division!

Renalicious
Oct 18th, 2010, 10:57 AM
^ Interesting and true for the WTA atm. :tears:

Mynarco
Oct 18th, 2010, 10:59 AM
When Caro disappears from WTA

ZODIAC
Oct 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM
tennis will get better when they have strong personalities on tour not bland bottle blondes,WTA is drowning in a sea of peroxide..

DownInAHole
Oct 18th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Matt01
Oct 18th, 2010, 12:33 PM
tennis will get better when they have strong personalities on tour not bland bottle blondes,WTA is drowning in a sea of peroxide..

So it's the hair colour which is the problem on the tour?
Yeah, that must be it. ;)

ZODIAC
Oct 18th, 2010, 01:01 PM
So it's the hair colour which is the problem on the tour?
Yeah, that must be it. ;)
yes its their hair color ,ballbashing and bland personalities:rolleyes:...thank goodness for Kimiko Date,truly a breath of fresh air:hearts::angel:and she is schooling a lot of the bland bottle blondes:p:kiss:

brickhousesupporter
Oct 18th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I really think it will only get better when they fix the ranking system. Right now, you can play more tournaments to hide your bad result. I think all results should count in your rankings. The ranking system caters to the younger players or the journey players. Right now you have players with inflated top 10 rankings with no real chance of winning big tournaments. This leads to the perception that the tour is bad, when these types of players lose early.

DefyingGravity
Oct 18th, 2010, 02:17 PM
You know, all of the women have either been injured, or looked terrified on the big stage just about. It will improve when the current future at the top of the game looks a little less scared of their positions. Caro is taking #1 so great right now, and she can definitely this up mentally.

Once Justine realizes that her ultra aggressive game might not win Wimbledon and incorporates more elements of her past game, I think that will help. Also, Sharapova stepping up next year. This was not a good year by any means, so I think Maria stepping up will help. Serena coming back from injury. Ivanovic showing signs of life, and now you've got an interesting side story in the older women of Venus and Kimiko Date-Krumm, and seeing how they can do next year after Venus had one of her more consistent slam years, even if she didn't bag one. Wondering how Vera Zvonareva will improve, seeing if Azarenka or Radwanska and regain their traction and get back on the improving side. Will next year be the year for Jankovic to make another move in her career?

This is all so interesting. Sometimes, the psychodrama that happens in the background makes for more interesting tennis, even if people aren't cracking winners right and left.

ZODIAC
Oct 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Ana is not an exciting player to watch , pova is too self absorbed and glum to change the dynamics.Azarenka has more personality than Ana or pova,the tour needs five more Azarenkas to spice things up...I will never pay to watch Ana,Hercog,Petkovic,Petrova,Safina,Na LI,Stosur or Hantuchova

jiri-nedved
Oct 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM
There is a lot of talent in the WTA but 98% of them are very mentally weak.

Matt01
Oct 18th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Ana is not an exciting player to watch , pova is too self absorbed and glum to change the dynamics.Azarenka has more personality than Ana or pova,the tour needs five more Azarenkas to spice things up...I will never pay to watch Ana,Hercog,Petkovic,Petrova,Safina,Na LI,Stosur or Hantuchova

:spit:

Well, no one forces you to watch all those "bland" players. But I doubt that many true tennis fans would be sad if you stopped doing that.

miffedmax
Oct 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM

Nonsense! More blondes! An entire Top 200 of 5'8 or taller blondes!:drool: With BANGS!

miffedmax
Oct 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Azarenka even showed off her hair lightener in her Tennis Channel bag check. She is "trying to get more blond."

The Witch-king
Oct 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM
You know, all of the women have either been injured, or looked terrified on the big stage just about. It will improve when the current future at the top of the game looks a little less scared of their positions. Caro is taking #1 so great right now, and she can definitely this up mentally.

Once Justine realizes that her ultra aggressive game might not win Wimbledon and incorporates more elements of her past game, I think that will help. Also, Sharapova stepping up next year. This was not a good year by any means, so I think Maria stepping up will help. Serena coming back from injury. Ivanovic showing signs of life, and now you've got an interesting side story in the older women of Venus and Kimiko Date-Krumm, and seeing how they can do next year after Venus had one of her more consistent slam years, even if she didn't bag one. Wondering how Vera Zvonareva will improve, seeing if Azarenka or Radwanska and regain their traction and get back on the improving side. Will next year be the year for Jankovic to make another move in her career?

This is all so interesting. Sometimes, the psychodrama that happens in the background makes for more interesting tennis, even if people aren't cracking winners right and left.
:spit: Do you seriously put Venus and KDK in the same category? You realise that Serena will be the age Venus is now this time next year? Or that in 2 years, Justine will and in 3 Klitsters too?

Always amazed at the un-selfaware idiocy in GM :sad:

Monica_Rules
Oct 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Its going to take one player to stand up and just start winning everything including the slams and give a challenge to Serena.

Its weird, if all the players were healthy and playing near their best the top 10 would be, in no particular order

Serena
Kim
Justine
Venus
Maria
Sveta
Ana I
Dementieva
+ 2 others from teh current top 10

That would be the best top 10 ever but the tour has just fallen apart

Bingain
Oct 18th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Nonsense! More blondes! An entire Top 200 of 5'8 or taller blondes!:drool: With BANGS!

And Nike and Adidas shalt be banned from sponsorship. Victoria's Secret and Agent Provocateur shalt take over.

And then the WTA will be the most viewed sports in the world. Journeywomen players will say, "Don't wake me up in the morning without $10,000 on the table."

Poor Oudin, poor Krunic, poor Cibulkova, poor Henin. They don't get to share these moments.

ZODIAC
Oct 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Nonsense! More blondes! An entire Top 200 of 5'8 or taller blondes!:drool: With BANGS!:tape:Dema seems to be a natural blonde ,its those mousy girls that are clogging the WTA with peroxide:help::lol:

goldenlox
Oct 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I thought this would be one of the strongest years ever going into 2010.

Serena was in very good form. Venus had just made the YEC final.
Kim had won the USO. Justine was coming back, and had won at least 1 major each year from 2003-07
Maria was having her 1st full year back
Plus Lena, Jelena, Vera, Sam, Sveta, Aga, Caro, Vika, Ana, Li and many more.

What happened is that Caro became #1 and Fran won a major.

So you never know

DownInAHole
Oct 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I really think it will only get better when they fix the ranking system. Right now, you can play more tournaments to hide your bad result. I think all results should count in your rankings. The ranking system caters to the younger players or the journey players. Right now you have players with inflated top 10 rankings with no real chance of winning big tournaments. This leads to the perception that the tour is bad, when these types of players lose early.

Is there any great difference between the WTA and ATP ranking systems? I ask because fans seem perfectly satisfied with the rankings in the men's game. If there is no difference I don't see how people can complain that the current system is broken. I think the bigger problem is injuries and part time players. The current system may be flawed but would it be any better to implement a system that favours the "better" players who, for whatever reason, do not play as often as the "lesser" players? I don't think so.

pav
Oct 18th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I sometimes wonder if a lot of the posters here should start their own ' We want the same old buggers winning everything, It was better in the good old days, Let's moan and whinge until our favourite players are back on top,We know which player deserves to be where in the rankings' forum, off you go, bye!

Otlichno
Oct 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I definitely think a few more indoor tournaments and a longer grass season could show some exciting matches. Also, a few less hardcourt tournaments as it seems to be injuring allot of the players.

doooma6816
Oct 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I believe 2011 will be great. I hope all real top players will be healthy and back to top form: Serena, Justine, Venus, Kim, Sveta, Maria, Ana, Dementieva, Azarenka, Jankovic...dream top 10...and strong 11-20...with Sam, Franny, Caroline, Li, Zvonareva and so on.

goldenlox
Oct 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I dont know if there has ever been a stronger group of players on tour than now.
Not all of them are healthy or at their peak. But that's normal in sport

miffedmax
Oct 18th, 2010, 06:35 PM
:tape:Dema seems to be a natural blonde ,its those mousy girls that are clogging the WTA with peroxide:help::lol:

My sister--probably in a fit of envy--accuses Le Petite of highlighting.:eek:

Slutiana
Oct 18th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I dont know if there has ever been a stronger group of players on tour than now.
Not all of them are healthy or at their peak. But that's normal in sport
Stop it.

1 Serena Williams USA 6080
2 Venus Williams USA 5140
3 Jennifer Capriati USA 3796
4 Kim Clijsters BEL 3557
5 Justine Henin BEL 3218
6 Amelie Mauresmo FRA 3068
7 Monica Seles USA 2952
8 Daniela Hantuchova SVK 2667.75
9 Jelena Dokic YUG 2506
10 Martina Hingis SUI 2348
11 Anastasia Myskina RUS 1908
12 Lindsay Davenport USA 1795
13 Chanda Rubin USA 1752
14 Magdalena Maleeva BUL 1701
15 Patty Schnyder SUI 1644
16 Anna Smashnova ISR 1616.50
17 Silvia Farina Elia ITA 1596
18 Alexandra Stevenson USA 1444
19 Elena Dementieva RUS 1426
20 Nathalie Dechy FRA 1295

VS

1 1 Wozniacki, Caroline
2 2 Williams, Serena
3 3 Zvonareva, Vera
4 4 Williams, Venus
5 5 Clijsters, Kim
6 6 Schiavone, Francesca
7 7 Jankovic, Jelena
8 8 Stosur, Samantha
9 9 Dementieva, Elena
10 10 Azarenka, Victoria
11 11 Li, Na
12 12 Henin, Justine
13 13 Peer, Shahar
14 14 Radwanska, Agnieszka
15 15 Rezai, Aravane
16 16 Bartoli, Marion
17 17 Petrova, Nadia
18 19 Sharapova, Maria
19 20 Kuznetsova, Svetlana8

goldenlox
Oct 18th, 2010, 08:11 PM
There's a big overlap there. Today there's no Monica(after stabbing) or Hingis, Jennifer or Amelie, but the young players today have years to go to win majors

Renalicious
Oct 18th, 2010, 10:18 PM
It'll get worse before it gets better unfortunately. :tears:

Slutiana
Oct 18th, 2010, 10:28 PM
There's a big overlap there. Today there's no Monica(after stabbing) or Hingis, Jennifer or Amelie, but the young players today have years to go to win majors
Which young players? Wozniacki, Azarenka and Radwanska?

goldenlox
Oct 18th, 2010, 10:51 PM
All the players not on tour then have years left. Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic, Zvonareva, Wozniacki, Safina, Azarenka...

atominside
Oct 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Maria plays back to her form. and wozniacki..flies away.

Shvedbarilescu
Oct 19th, 2010, 12:15 AM
When will women's tennis get better?

August 17th 2014. Sometime in the afternoon between 2:30 and 4:00 GMT.

Yeah, I know that was a dumb answer. But then again it was a dumb question that didn't deserve any better.