PDA

View Full Version : Heide Schildknecht Orth

Rollo
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
I came across this mini-bio of Orth on the web and thought I would share.

from http://www.tenniseurope.org/VeteransTennis/LifetimeSeniorChampion.aspx

HEIDE ORTH

http://www.tenniseurope.org/images/seniors/lifetimewinners2.jpg

Heide is in the bottom left picture

Heide Orth was born into a sporting family in Essen, Germany in 1942 and began to play tennis with her father at the age of 13. By 1960 she had become German junior champion, the first steps on a road to a career that would see her compete on the ladies circuit for many years, in which she was a regular participant in all four Grand Slams, the Australian Open, Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open. Faithful to her home country, Heide played on the national Fed Cup team on fifteen occasions, and has also been a reliable club representative, playing for ETUF Essen, Blau-Weiss Berlin and Skiclub throughout the years. After marrying in 1965 and giving birth to her first son in 1970, Heide took a five year break from tennis before entering the senior circuit, in which she has become a consistently successful force, having accrued 11 Tennis Europe Player of the Year titles. Mrs. Orth was delighted to be amongst the winners, remarking, "I am not used to receiving such awards and attending these ceremonies, but this is a really great recognition for senior tennis."

Rollo
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
Apparently Heide was the 65 and over World Champion in 2008. It's great to see seniors still out there!

http://www.tc-ottersweier.de/cms/images/image77.jpg

I found many other pics of Heide as a senior on the web using google images.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_wcG20cYnGVg/SKc16eu26II/AAAAAAAAQ8Y/5rQIJpSbI2M/s512/Heide%20Orth%2C%2060s%20Winner%20and%20NSWTA%20Mod el.JPG

Seleção82
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for sharing, Rollo! :hatoff:

I will see if I can find some more interesting info on German websites.

Rollo
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM

That would be fantastic Selescao:) Tooling around I also saw info on another German-Heidi Eisterlehner.

chris whiteside
Oct 3rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
This is weird. She was obviously in her prime during the 1960s although I can't really recall much about her.

I think I may have seen the name Schilknecht listed in some results.

The 15 appearances in the German Federation Cup Team looks odd. It didn't begin until 1963 and with players like Schultze, Buding and Neissen about I wouldn't have thought Mrs Orth would have been preferred.

Seleção82
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM

Yes, there is much to find about her on the web. She is a BIG name in Seniors Tennis, the dominating #1 on the world's rankings list in the over-65 section.

I will post interesting info and pictures here when I find the time for it, on first sight it seems that there really are many websites which mention her, and also many photos.

Seleção82
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
That would be fantastic Selescao:) Tooling around I also saw info on another German-Heidi Eisterlehner.
Heidi is another BIG name in Seniors tennis. Multiple World Champion and multiple year-end #1 in the 50+ and 55+ sections.

I will see what can be found on the web and likely will start a separate thread about her then. :)

chris whiteside
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I was surprised to read that Heide had played in the Australian Championships considering so few foreign players did in that era but thought the likely suspect was 1965 when many Internationals went to Melbourne for the Federation Cup which turns out to be correct.

She lost in 1r to the up-coming Kerry Melville 6-4 12-10.

In the Cup playing #2 to Niessen (Buding and Schultz didn't travel) she lost in 1r to Francesca Gordigiani of Italy 4-6 7-5 6-4 and in doubles with Niessen beay Pericoli/Gordigiani 6-3 6-1 but as Pericoli had beaten Niessen 8-6 4-0 def. the Italians won the match 2-1.

These were her German rankings in the 60s. As far as I can see 1961 was her first ranking.

1961 - Jt #9
1962 - 6
1963 - 7
1964 - Jt #3
1965 - Jt #4
1966 - 5
1967 - Jt #4
1968 - 6
1969 - 7
1970 - 3

Rollo
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'm glad see more info on her coming out. I'll go through my WOT books tonight to see if more can be gleamed.