PDA

View Full Version : C.Wozniacki most impressive W/L stats: 31-7 in 3-setters, 93-4 after 1st set wins

Cp6uja
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
I don't like her game style, but she deserve big credit for consistent results 2nd season in the row, and this 1990 born girl is actually very good thing which is happen to WTA tour where veterans dominate so cruelly (for example 26yo Vera Zvonareva is 2010 youngest GS finalist). Also after golden period for Western European womens tennis which started with Steffi Graf era (followed by ESP Arantxa and Conchita, FRA Pierce and Mauresmo, Hingis, and BEL Henin and Clijsters) we have after 1983-born Clijsters several generations of WE players without ability even at least to reach TOP10, and now with Caro we have GS contender (especially when sisters-Belgians will retire) and probably very soon #1 ranked player, which is very good news for womens tennis, especially if we know how Americans after 1981-born Serena also sucks generation by generation. And whatever we thinks about her game style, she has arguable great and very positive and likable personality, which is another reason why she is very good for WTA now.

Nobody can be TOP2 ranked 2nd year in the row just like that or "without weapons" like so many times we heard here about Caroline. So I decide to open this thread which is focused on two aspects of tennis game which is in Wozniacki case real weapons - combination of great fitness and mental stability. Tennis players which have this two skills on permanent basis always have great 3-setter stats and Caroline Wozniacki is perfect proof.

Since Caroline Wozniacki rise her level into TOP10 player (since April of 2009) her W-L in three setters are amazing 31-7 82% (11-2 vs TOP15 opponents), and in same period she won 93 out of 97 matches where she won opening set!
:eek:

Caroline Wozniacki 3-setters since April 2009:

Kim Clijsters (BEL) beat Caroline Wozniacki 3-6 7-5 3-6
Caroline Wozniacki beat Franceska Schiavone (ITA) 3-6 6-1 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 6-3 3-6 6-3
Caroline Wozniacki beat Elena Dementieva (RUS) 1-6 6-2 6-3
Caroline Wozniacki beat Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 6-2 6-7(3) 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Nadia Petrova (RUS) 6-3 3-6 6-3
Caroline Wozniacki beat Elena Dementieva (RUS) 1-6 6-3 7-6(5)
Caroline Wozniacki beat Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 4-6 6-3 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) 6-1 2-6 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Julia Goerges (GER) 3-6 6-0 7-6(3)
Caroline Wozniacki beat Iveta Benesova (CZE) 4-6 6-2 6-0
Aravane Rezai (FRA) beat Caroline Wozniacki 4-6 6-1 3-6
Caroline Wozniacki beat Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 7-6(5) 6-7(4) 6-2
Caroline Wozniacki beat Polona Hercog (SLO) 2-6 6-3 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Elena Vesnina (RUS) 1-6 7-6(4) 6-4
Justine Henin (BEL) beat Caroline Wozniacki 7-6(5) 3-6 4-6
Caroline Wozniacki beat Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 1-6 6-1 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) 3-6 6-3 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Jie Zheng (CHN) 6-4 4-6 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Nadia Petrova (RUS) 6-3 3-6 6-0
Caroline Wozniacki beat Vania King (USA) 5-7 6-2 6-4
Na Li (CHN) beat Caroline Wozniacki 6-2 3-6 2-6
Caroline Wozniacki beat Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 6-0 6-7(3) 6-4 2009
Caroline Wozniacki beat Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 1-6 6-4 7-5
Samantha Stosur (AUS) beat Caroline Wozniacki 0-6 6-4 4-6
Caroline Wozniacki beat Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 6-2 6-7(1) 6-2
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (ESP) beat Caroline Wozniacki 7-6(5) 6-7(2) 0-6
Caroline Wozniacki beat Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 2-6 7-6(5) 7-6(3)
Caroline Wozniacki beat Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 4-6 6-4 6-4
Sorana Cirstea (ROU) beat Caroline Wozniacki 6-1 4-6 6-7(5)
Caroline Wozniacki beat Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 6-3 4-6 6-2
Caroline Wozniacki beat Kimiko Date Krumm (JPN) 5-7 6-3 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 3-6 6-4 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Samantha Stosur (AUS) 6-1 5-7 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Vera Dushevina (RUS) 4-6 7-5 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Elena Dementieva (RUS) 6-4 5-7 7-5
Caroline Wozniacki beat Elena Vesnina (RUS) 2-6 6-3 7-6(4)
Caroline Wozniacki beat Samantha Stosur (AUS) 6-3 6-7(4) 6-1

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:53 AM
In general, she won 23 of her last 25 matches, so her numbers are going to be good.

bandabou
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM
Then comes a major..and flupss...she folds like a pancake.

GreenGrass
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM
In general, she won 23 of her last 25 matches, so her numbers are going to be good.

:rolls: You're posting this all the time in her every single thread :help: :rolls:

Mekoro
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Is Wozniacki looking a little like a young Nadal?

I mean, she has such good defensive abilities, getting a lot of ball back and rarely being in position to let her opponent hit a winner. She is also so patient in the rallies, using more topspin than the average to control her opponent and to try to move her to find an opening and she will only use his offensive skills when she has found that opening. She is making few errors and get totally into the opponent who feels trapped and powerless.

The big difference I see is that Nadal always was the best and by far on clay where it seems that Wozniacki best surface is hardcourt and she does not seem to perform well on clay.

Obviously Nadal is stronger and is way more powerful with his forehand, he is more powerful than most men and Caro is a women.... But I was comparing their style of play.

That's why I found that Wozniacki looked a little like the Nadal of 2005 (not the current one who is a much more complete player and is using his scary offensives weapons) and I was wondering if she could evolve in the same direction he did.

Cp6uja
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM
In general, she won 23 of her last 25 matches, so her numbers are going to be good. This stats is about her's last 125+ matches (where she lose more than 30), not just about last 25 :shrug:, and even her overall career stats are pretty amazing. Most of tennis experts blame physical factor why young under-20 players have by far worse results on WTA Tour than teenagers in past, but You are not impressed how 1990-born Wozniacki even dominate whole tour in that area playing last 2 seasons more events and matches than any other elite WTA player and has so impressive W/L record in long matches (3-setters).

Then comes a major..and flupss...she folds like a pancake.Actually almost all this 3-set loses in this period coming from MM events (or 600K premier). Only exception is Miami/10 3-setter lose vs Justine Henin :shrug:

TennisFan66
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks to OP for the stat update. The 'she won 83 out of 87 matches where she won opening set!' is impressive and paired with her strength in 3 setters, it sort of fits with my own perceived wisdom: To win Vs Caro, you have to finish her off in 2 sets. Blitz her like Franny was able to do in RG and Kvitova in W'don.

Patrick345
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM

That's why I found that Wozniacki looked a little like the Nadal of 2005 (not the current one who is a much more complete player and is using his scary offensives weapons) and I was wondering if she could evolve in the same direction he did.

Most certainly. Only difference is Nadal did it by being better than the others, Wozniacki will do it by being less shitty than the others. :lol:

Players currently within four years (age wise) of Wozniacki:

Radwanska
Azarenka
Sharapova (with a bad shoulder already)
Rezai
Peer
Pavlyuchenkova
Wickmayer
Kirilenko
Kleybanova
Dulgheru
Ivanovic
Bacsinszky
Shvedova
Safarova
Kvitova
Pironkova
Cibulkova
Petkovic
Szavay
Errani
Groth
Goerges
Safina
Styrcova

The prospect of Safarova and Cibulkova in the top 10, Radwanska and Rezai in the top 5. Ah good times ahead. :lol:

Matt01
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
So Wozniacki is not a fluke? :eek:

Lucemferre
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:21 PM

I mean, she has such good defensive abilities, getting a lot of ball back and rarely being in position to let her opponent hit a winner. She is also so patient in the rallies, using more topspin than the average to control her opponent and to try to move her to find an opening and she will only use his offensive skills when she has found that opening. She is making few errors and get totally into the opponent who feels trapped and powerless.

The big difference I see is that Nadal always was the best and by far on clay where it seems that Wozniacki best surface is hardcourt and she does not seem to perform well on clay.

Obviously Nadal is stronger and is way more powerful with his forehand, he is more powerful than most men and Caro is a women.... But I was comparing their style of play.

Wozniacki is 20 and still not a major winner nor the best on any surface.So definitely not.

madmax
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:25 PM
So Wozniacki is not a fluke? :eek:

she most definitely is:drool:

Matt01
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM
she most definitely is:drool:

This thread proves not :yeah:

DownInAHole
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:33 PM
Most certainly. Only difference is Nadal did it by being better than the others, Wozniacki will do it by being less shitty than the others. :lol:

Players currently within four years (age wise) of Wozniacki:

Radwanska
Azarenka
Sharapova (with a bad shoulder already)
Rezai
Peer
Pavlyuchenkova
Wickmayer
Kirilenko
Kleybanova
Dulgheru
Ivanovic
Bacsinszky
Shvedova
Safarova
Kvitova
Pironkova
Cibulkova
Petkovic
Szavay
Errani
Groth
Goerges
Safina
Styrcova

The prospect of Safarova and Cibulkova in the top 10, Radwanska and Rezai in the top 5. Ah good times ahead. :lol:

Aww, things are not that bleak. Some of the players on your list will almost certainly get much better and there are some great young players out there that we've never heard of yet. I think the future of the women's game will be fine.

JJ Expres
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks to OP for the stat update. The 'she won 83 out of 87 matches where she won opening set!' is impressive and paired with her strength in 3 setters, it sort of fits with my own perceived wisdom: To win Vs Caro, you have to finish her off in 2 sets. Blitz her like Franny was able to do in RG and Kvitova in W'don.

2 of them are against jankovich xD

delicatecutter
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:29 PM
This not surprising.

1. She is one of the mentally toughest players out there.
2. Her game has little risk so she is able to be incredibly consistent.

Juju Nostalgique
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Who cares? :scratch: :shrug: :confused:

Cp6uja
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:35 AM
Who cares? :scratch: :shrug: :confused:
You never know :shrug:

For example I never know who care about Chelsea Te Tai results at this forum till not read Your signature.
Different people - different interests :shrug: and even at TennisForum's famous General Messages subforum maybe someone will be interested to see some undiscovered facts about current WTA #2 (not You, obviously). :wavey:

Pops Maellard
Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:47 AM
That's very impressive three-set record and % after winning the first set.

stangtennis
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Dementieva has only lost two matches in 2010 after winning the 1st set.

Both of these of these defeats was to Wozniacki (New Haven SF + Tokyo F) and in both matches she won the first set 6-1.

Cp6uja
Oct 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Since Caroline Wozniacki rise her level into TOP10 player (since April of 2009) her W-L in three setters are amazing 30-6 83% (10-1 vs TOP15 opponents), and in same period she won 90 out of 94 matches where she won opening set! :eek:

Caroline Wozniacki 3-setters since April 2009:

Caroline Wozniacki beat Samantha Stosur (AUS) 6-3 6-7(4) 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Elena Vesnina (RUS) 2-6 6-3 7-6(4)
Caroline Wozniacki beat Elena Dementieva (RUS) 6-4 5-7 7-5
Caroline Wozniacki beat Vera Dushevina (RUS) 4-6 7-5 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Samantha Stosur (AUS) 6-1 5-7 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 3-6 6-4 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Kimiko Date Krumm (JPN) 5-7 6-3 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 6-3 4-6 6-2
Sorana Cirstea (ROU) beat Caroline Wozniacki 6-1 4-6 6-7(5)
Caroline Wozniacki beat Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 4-6 6-4 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 2-6 7-6(5) 7-6(3)
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (ESP) beat Caroline Wozniacki 7-6(5) 6-7(2) 0-6
Caroline Wozniacki beat Aleksandra Wozniak (CAN) 6-2 6-7(1) 6-2
Samantha Stosur (AUS) beat Caroline Wozniacki 0-6 6-4 4-6
Caroline Wozniacki beat Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 1-6 6-4 7-5
Caroline Wozniacki beat Vera Zvonareva (RUS) 6-0 6-7(3) 6-4 2009
Na Li (CHN) beat Caroline Wozniacki 6-2 3-6 2-6
Caroline Wozniacki beat Vania King (USA) 5-7 6-2 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Nadia Petrova (RUS) 6-3 3-6 6-0
Caroline Wozniacki beat Jie Zheng (CHN) 6-4 4-6 6-1
Caroline Wozniacki beat Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) 3-6 6-3 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 1-6 6-1 6-4
Justine Henin (BEL) beat Caroline Wozniacki 7-6(5) 3-6 4-6
Caroline Wozniacki beat Elena Vesnina (RUS) 1-6 7-6(4) 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Polona Hercog (SLO) 2-6 6-3 6-4
Caroline Wozniacki beat Flavia Pennetta (ITA) 7-6(5) 6-7(4) 6-2
Aravane Rezai (FRA) beat Caroline Wozniacki 4-6 6-1 3-6

OP is updated with part which shows all Caroline Wozniacki 3-setters in last year and a half.

solat
Oct 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Do you have stats on when she loses the first set?
I would think that would be quite impressive as well.

Cp6uja
Oct 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I would think that would be quite impressive as well.Nothing really spectacular :shrug:, especially if we comparing with stats which is subject of this thread, or from Wozniacki another amazing special h2h achievement since April of 2009 which is presented in SHOCKING: Caroline Wozniacki has 31-4 W/L vs Russian Players since April of 2009 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=418031) thread.

Her W-L record (since April/2009) in matches where she lose opening set is 17-30, which is good, but not impressive.

Wiggly
Oct 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Not surprising, when your game relies on your movement/fitness, you should win most three-setters.

Pops Maellard
Oct 11th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I love how every thread complimenting Caroline starts with "I don't like her gamestyle". :spit: Like a little disclaimer.

TennisFan66
Oct 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Cp6uja,

I actually thought about you today, when Caro won first set :lol: 90/94 .. those a good odds at any event!

angliru
Oct 12th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I would think that would be quite impressive as well.
I've always had the impression that Wozniacki was quite extraordinary in this respect. She lost the first set in 4 of her 6 matches en route to the junior Wimbledon title in 2006 (including 1st set losses in SF and the final)!

I don't have career stats of winning when one set down but I've just had a quick glance at the 2010 stats for the top 10 players. The amount of data is rather insignificant, and the career stats may look completely different but I don't have the time to calculate carrer stats for all these players at the moment. All data in these tables is from 2010 only, top 10 players, WTA events only, and retirements included. Wozniacki in fact has the most such wins in 2010!

Wins when one set down

Wozniacki 10
Stosur 7
Dementieva 6
Jankovic 6
V. Williams 5
Azarenka 4
Clijsters 4
Schiavone 4
Zvonareva 4
S. Williams 3

Looking at the win/loss percentage is probably more reasonable, because some players have played less matches (Serena, Clijsters, for instance), and may therefore have less such wins.

Win/loss percentage when one set down

Name W L W/L %

S. Williams 3 2 60
Clijsters 4 4 50
V. Williams 5 5 50
Wozniacki 10 12 45.5
Jankovic 6 12 33.3
Stosur 7 14 33.3
Dementieva 6 14 30
Azarenka 4 11 26.7
Schiavone 4 14 22.2
Zvonareva 4 14 22.2

But there is yet another thing to consider: Some players might be good at turning matches around and get a win when they've lost the first set. But it's not very useful if they also happen to lose very often when they're one set up! It's therefore useful to look at the ratio of "wins when one set down" vs. "losses when one set up" (bigger ratio is better).

Winning "when one set down" vs. "losing when one set up"

Name Wins when losses when Ratio
one set down one set up

Wozniacki 10 2 5.0
Stosur 7 2 3.5
Dementieva 6 2 3.0
V. Williams 5 2 2.5
Clijsters 4 2 2.0
Zvonareva 4 2 2.0
S. Williams 3 2 1.5
Azarenka 4 4 1.0
Jankovic 6 6 1.0
Schiavone 4 5 0.8

Cp6uja
Oct 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM

Caroline Wozniacki beat Franceska Schiavone (ITA) 3-6 6-1 6-1
With today's 3-setter win vs Schiavone in Doha, Caroline Wozniacki is (since Wimbledon) in 10 3-setters winning strike now!

GoofyDuck
Oct 28th, 2010, 10:03 PM

don't make such comparisons please :(

Pops Maellard
Oct 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM
don't make such comparisons please :(

Exactly. Putting aside the gender difference Nadal's shots have force on them that Caroline's most certainly don't.

Ryan
Oct 29th, 2010, 12:52 AM
:rolleyes: You guys are just being stupid. The Caro/Rafa comparisons are mainly about their willingness to track down EVERY ball, fight for each point. Not hitting a lot of errors, and using more than average topspin. NO ONE said their force of shot or level of aggression is the same, or similar. Clearly you don't know how to read if you're getting THAT MUCH out of a simple comparison.

Carotastrophe
Oct 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Very impressive stats :D

Monzanator
Oct 29th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Sharapova still has the best 3-set winning percentage among active players :D

tae04
Oct 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM
When she starts beating Serena, Venus, Kim, or Henin then these stats will mean something.

sammy01
Oct 29th, 2010, 02:33 PM
it just shows when she loses she loses in straights sets lol

Cp6uja
Oct 31st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Wozniacki finally lose 3-setter (after 10 three-setters wins in the row), but her overall W/L 3rd set record since hers April 2009 breakthrough is still impressive and over 80% (31-7).

Arguable two most impressive W/L stats of new world #1 Wozniacki since April of 2009 is amazing 34-4 record against Russian players and this 31-7 in 3-setters. But at end I must to notice such big Irony that in season which she finish at WTA#1 two most important matches which she played Wozniacki lose both - first against Russian player (USO SF) and second lose in three (YEC final). :spit:

ivanban
Oct 31st, 2010, 08:16 PM
Wozniacki finally lose 3-setter (after 10 three-setters wins in the row), but her overall W/L 3rd set record since hers April 2009 breakthrough is still impressive and over 80% (31-7).

Arguable two most impressive W/L stats of new world #1 Wozniacki since April of 2009 is amazing 34-4 record against Russian players and this 31-7 in 3-setters. But at end I must to notice such big Irony that in season which she finish at WTA#1 two most important matches which she played Wozniacki lose both - first against Russian player (USO SF) and second lose in three (YEC final). :spit:

That sums it up perfectly

bandabou
Oct 31st, 2010, 08:38 PM
:lol: Ouch...I guess stats don't mean much with Caro when it's a big match.