Caralenko
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:02 AM
3 hours of my life I will never get back. :help:

Woz was up 5*-0 in the third set.

3 aces / 4 DFs for Wozniacki.
2 aces / 12 DFs for Azarenka.

~{X}~
Glad Wozniacki won but seriously!? Should have been 6-0 in the 3rd set. Play better tomorrow.

Young 8
Horrible match

Marionated
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:03 AM
And she served it out to love at the end :lol:

Rafito.
Well that sucks. Both of them were terrible spraying errors EVERYWHERE! Was hoping for a massive comeback for Vika :sad:

Good luck in Beijing Vika.

goldenlox
That's 23 of 25 since Wimbledon for Caro.
Playing for title #11.
If she wins the final, she needs a QF spot in Beijing to be the new #1

FleetSeb
Vika :( Still, great tournament overall, despite this match, on the comeback from the concussion. Well done Caro.

Nikkiri
Disgusting match. :lol:

Well done to Caroline for winning though.

saul1333
Thank you Vika :hearts:

Almost made a great comeback..I reek of failure :sobbing:

Serenita
:haha::crazy::ignore::ras:

iRed_uBlue
Now let these last 2 meetings between these two be a lesson to people who endlessly hype Azarenka up and some elite, hard-hitting power player.

In truth she's an underpowered average player with a challenger level serve. :lol: She's really slam material guys. Wozniacki beats Radwanska and Azarenka back to back showing her superiority.

Temperenka
That was pitiful, horrible, hilarious, insufferable, crappy, unimpressive, exhuasting and disappointing.

I'm done watching tennis for a few days. :lol:

simonsaystennis
This was one of the worst matches I've ever seen. Both were consistent.... consistently terrible :o

Vartan
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:04 AM
kd7ox62s8ZI

Singleniacki

This. It just wouldnt end :tears:

Congrats, Woz :unsure:

Gdsimmons
Gross. Vika pulled me in for false hope after winning 4 straight in that final set. Damn you Azarenka. Who landed in Wozniacki's section for BEijing

Serenita
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM
Now let these last 2 meetings between these two be a lesson to people who endlessly hype Azarenka up and some elite, hard-hitting power player.

In truth she's an underpowered average player with a challenger level serve. :lol: She's really slam material guys. Wozniacki beats Radwanska and Azarenka back to back showing her superiority.
:lol:

tennis-insomniac
Vika nice fought back lose focus in the end :sad: but good challenge though at MP

Caro :cheer: nice job very consistent play, produce many nice winners :yeah:

Bronx19
This girl will never win a grand slam, who are these commentary clowns kidding?

She lost 12 points in row and never once changed her game plan...

darkangel23
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:06 AM
Caro :yeah:

iRed_uBlue
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:06 AM
Wozniacki dictated off the ground for stretches of games in the first and second set. :spit:

Jean-Henri
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:07 AM
Winners/UE: caro 25/44, vika 29/50

That 3'rd set: First vika completely surrendered at 4-0, then caro imploded. Finally she got her act (read backhand) together again
So much drama, but not the best quality maybe

Dodoboy.
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM
Just missed the end of this match, by like two seconds! Too bad, oh well!

Still well done for winning, don't care how you did it!

Please take the title!

akephon35695
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM
from 0-5 Vika suddenly wake up but it's too late
25 Winner wowww for Caro

C. W. Fields
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:09 AM
I'm guessing Caro in 3 sets.

Who's the man!? :worship: :angel:

But I admit Brad Gilbert's book Winning Ugly could have been written about this match! :rolleyes:

Lachy
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:10 AM
Good god. Congrats Caro, you did what you had to do.

Vika, wtf, for a set and a half you played like a pusher??! :weirdo:

PLP
Winners/UE: caro 25/44, vika 29/50

That 3'rd set: First vika completely surrendered at 4-0, then caro imploded. Finally she got her act (read backhand) together again
So much drama, but not the best quality maybe

:tape:
Not the prettitest match, but happy for the result. :hearts:
Surprised Azarenka made it so close TBH.

Hope Lena can come through the other semi, that's the fianl I really want to see.
:bounce:

iRed_uBlue
from 0-5 Vika suddenly wake up but it's too late
25 Winner wowww for Caro

Of course Wozniacki can hit 25 winners against Azarenka who is supposedly much better yet does nothing all year.

DownInAHole
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:14 AM
Tossing rackets? Kicking balls? In that second set Sunshine looked more like Stormcloud.

Yikes, after being up 5-0 I was afraid that Caroline was due for a new nickname: Collapseniacki.

Ugly match but no matter who she plays the final has to be better.

Pasta-Na
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:15 AM
no.1 soon :o

Jean-Henri
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:15 AM
Who's the man!? :worship: :angel:

But I admit Brad Gilbert's book Winning Ugly could have been written about this match! :rolleyes:

Me too :-)

Sorry, but all my predictions this week have been right, and I predicted Schiavone to win it all :-(
What can I do to take that back ?

darkangel23
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:16 AM
Collapseniacki :spit:

Hahaha great nickname ;) Best since Bagelito :D

Martian Jeza
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:16 AM
What a nice way to wake up, Caroline ! When will people stop calling her a pusher ? Will watch later the match on the Eurosport Player !

Vika :hug: :hug:

tennis-insomniac
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM
Gross. Vika pulled me in for false hope after winning 4 straight in that final set. Damn you Azarenka. Who landed in Wozniacki's section for BEijing

I think Vika is in JJ's section ...total gift if she's healthy :)

Belmont Lad
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM
That was one of the worst matches I've ever seen, for real real. Epitomizes the state of the women's game at the moment. :( Azarenka's serve is particularly laugh inducing. :help:

Bronx19
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM
What a nice way to wake up, Caroline ! When will people stop calling her a pusher ? Will watch later the match on the Eurosport Player !

Vika :hug: :hug:

Are you joking?

She was pushing like nothing else in the second and third sets. She lost 12 points straight for gods sake. The commentators were even onto it.

-NAJ-
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:20 AM
I hope their matches in future won't be like this- errorfest

Martian Jeza
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:21 AM
Are you joking?

She was pushing like nothing else in the second and third sets. She lost 12 points straight for gods sake. The commentators were even onto it.

As I said, I'll watch the match on rerun later to make my own mind on it ! :wavey:

Jean-Henri
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:21 AM
Collapseniacki :spit:

Hahaha great nickname ;) Best since Bagelito :D

At some of her reactions in 2'nd set I feared her new nickname could be Wozniackenroe

iRed_uBlue
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:22 AM
Are you joking?

At the end of the 2nd she was pushing. For the 1st set and half of the 2nd she was able to come up with some nice winners. It's not as if Azarenka can really blow anyone off the court.

It's good she could play her C game and still get by a player like Azarenka.

Spiritof42
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:25 AM
This match was unquestionably a letdown, although some people are clearly overreacting. :lol:
Set 2 was one of the worst I've seen Caroline play this year. But Vika was pretty poor too, hence the tie-break.
A late surge from 0-5 down saved Vika from getting embarrassed in the final set, but it came a bit too late.

Stats for set 1:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/3049/cwva2010tokyoset1.jpg

Set 2:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/75/cwva2010tokyoset2.jpg

The whole match:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2479/cwva2010tokyomatch.jpg

Martian Jeza
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:26 AM
44 UE : that's so unusual for Caroline :help:

Bronx19
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM
As I said, I'll watch the match on rerun later to make my own mind on it ! :wavey:

Ah, making judgment before you've even seen it.

Sensible you are.

Maria rocks
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:31 AM
Horrible match

Yes but my god Azarenka is gutsy!!!

Belmont Lad
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:34 AM
And let's not forget the fashion nightmare out there. It was the battle of the sausage casing versus the potato sack out there! Two attractive figures done no justice by terrible cuts and outrageous sizing. :speakles:

DownInAHole
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:35 AM
And let's not forget the fashion nightmare out there. It was the battle of the sausage casing versus the potato sack out there! Two attractive figures done no justice by terrible cuts and outrageous sizing. :speakles:

Martian Jeza
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:37 AM

Sensible you are.

that's not better being biased.

Pops Maellard
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:39 AM
Congrats Woz. ;)

Vika. :lol: Give her no pace and her game just falls apart.

Amazing how at the first part of '09 Vika was totally thrashing Caro with losses of four games a match. Amazing what a bit of experience can do (on Caro's part).

Caro has eclipsed Vika in pretty much every department now.

Bronx19
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:43 AM
that's not better being biased.

More sense you not make.

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:44 AM
Caro :cheer: Win it all please.:cheer:
Vika :shrug: :o

Umberella
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:48 AM

Sensible you are.

I'm pretty sure he said he is not making a judgment UNTIL he watches the match lol...

But yeh, it was a poor match, but I did actually enjoy it. Hopefully Caro can take the title now :)

Human Nature
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:59 AM
Well done girl !

I realy dont understand how people still doubt Wosniaki's champion mentality and talent

There is no one else who deserves being world N1 these days more than her ( except serena of course )

Now come on Franny !

C. W. Fields
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:10 AM
A very odd match. For the first 1˝ set we saw Vika at her worst; going for winners but hitting erros. Then in the middle of 2nd set she finally recognises it's not a day to play her usual game and instead she starts playing more like Caro; controlled pressure and forcing errors instead of trying for one-stroke winners, as well as showing pretty good defensive skills. Caro at the same time had none of her usual steadiness, and being up against 'herself' she played like one of her own worst opponents with loads of errors.
Vika, like many other players on tour, plays best when close to losing. After edging 2nd set she completely took her foot of the pedal and lost 5 games in a row. Being nearly dead she finally found her game again and almost managed a comeback before Caro got her head together again and managed one last good game to close out the match.

Why did they both play so badly? It's not unusual for Vika to have such letdowns but it is for Caro. One thing that may explain it a little is how they, after playing indoors the whole week, suddenly had to play outdoors. But it shouldn't be that big a deal. I also couldn't help wonder if Caro and Vika (being BFF) are so attuned to each other that they - like two women living together whose menstrual cycles adjust to each other - now follow each other's ups and down when playing, so if only one of them had started out playing well the other would have followed suit!? :rolleyes:

Derek.
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:27 AM
Well done, Caro! :D
Vika. :sad:

Shame it seemed to be such a poor quality match. :(

TennisFan66
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:53 AM
Well sometimes matches are like this. Bizarre and odd. Reminded me of some 'sisters' matches I've seen. Caro with 44 UE :help:Thats just not like her; neither is the 'mini' choke in 3rd .. but at the end of the day, it was WD Caro :worship: and :hug:for Vika.

iRed_uBlue
Oct 1st, 2010, 09:49 AM
Congrats Woz. ;)

Vika. :lol: Give her no pace and her game just falls apart.

Amazing how at the first part of '09 Vika was totally thrashing Caro with losses of four games a match. Amazing what a bit of experience can do (on Caro's part).

Caro has eclipsed Vika in pretty much every department now.

Early 2009 was to date the peak of Azarenka's career in terms of level of play and results. Wozniacki has grown and developed so much since then as a player while Azarenka has stagnated and arguably digressed.

Of course Wozniacki is better than Azarenka. That was clear to everyone who isn't hyping Azarenka to be some slam winning, top drawer power hitter.

Renalicious
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:01 AM

Woz was up 5*-0 in the third set.

3 aces / 4 DFs for Wozniacki.
2 aces / 12 DFs for Azarenka.

Oh puhlease. You only watched the last set. :cuckoo:

Blu€
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:08 AM
Caro :rocker2: should have been easier but you pulled through!
Play better against Lena :p

Keadz
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:29 AM
I was lucky that I left after the second set, thought maybe the standard would rise, but apparently I was wrong.

Good job for winning Caro, I don't think anyone can blame her from being passive this match, since she could barely get the ball in the court at the best of times.

Vika :o Couldn't even take advantage of the worst Caro to have graced the tennis court in months, if not years.

Ryan
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Caro :cool: Each match is its own shitfest, so its not like this bad batch of play will necessarily carry on to the final. Please beat Lena easier than the NH Final. :lol: Or lose, just don't play like a gutless chicken (like against Vera).

Dexter
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM
What a shame of a match...

Vikapower
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:04 AM
Seriously Vika :spit: So much DF at critical moments... This is Oscar worthy... Definitively top 5 match in the most crappiest 2010 matches... good luck for Beijing...

AcesHigh
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:06 AM
She keeps on winning.
:bowdown: Wozniacki. Future WTA #1

GreenGrass
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
44 UE and still wins :worship:
Caro has surpassed her both BFFs and peers Vika and Aga :sad: :hug:
Caro becoming no 1 and winning slams is inenvitable. I dont see anyone who can stop her :shrug:

DS.Fan.
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM
Vika:(:(:(

Bronx19
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:43 AM
44 UE and still wins :worship:
Caro has surpassed her both BFFs and peers Vika and Aga :sad: :hug:
Caro becoming no 1 and winning slams is inenvitable. I dont see anyone who can stop her :shrug:

Anyone who can hit hard and is on their game for just one match can beat Caro, we've seen it time after time.

jefrilibra
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:53 AM
This is the future of the WTA! There'll be more of these shitty matches to come!:help:

Umberella
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Anyone who can hit hard and is on their game for just one match can beat Caro, we've seen it time after time.

Yet Caro keeps on winning? Funny that...

Pops Maellard
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM

Caro runs into an on-fire ballbasher sometimes and is in danger, she's yet to learn how to effectively deal with players with tons of firepower who are playing with career-best form (ie. Lisicki Wimbledon '09, Kvitova Wimbledon '010 etc.)

But in a way that's also a huge compliment to Caro. For most players to beat her they have to be in that much of a zone. Playing their very best if not close to it, for an entire match. How often is that going to happen on the WTA tour? Not very often. :p

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:27 PM
missed it all
Vika :banghead: :(
3rd set :o

The Dawntreader
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
The first set of this match was the worst display of women's tennis i had seen all year. Everything just fell into the realms of tragedy. Azarenka's serve was the real nadir of this match. Azarenka's service action actually looks quite efficient, but she deaccelerates so dramatically with the racquet, that there's just no sting coming from that shot at all. Wozniacki was able to involve herself in these laborious rallies, with Azarenka unable to hit through her forehand with any kind of consistency, looping and scooping through the forehand, with all her body-weight going backwards.

Wozniacki doing the bare minimum as usual. Decent enough depth, adequate serving, and was the perrenial foil to Azarenka's vertical style of hitting. There's just no way Azarenka can hit through Wozniacki consistently whilst serving dismally and making 4 rank errrors per game. Just isn't going to happen.

Only saw the first set though, so the rest could have been slightly more competitive. Kinda sad though that this is a glimpse into the future without Venus/Serena/Justine/Clijsters. There's just no spark to these matches, no sense of occasion. Meh.

VIKA?
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:37 PM
You suck Victoria.

Caroline better wins this crap.

delicatecutter
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
Poor Vika.

Lena is our only hope.

Hian
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Vika :sobbing: I thought you could to that :sobbing:
Please Lena, stop the pusher :(

Ellery
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Caro :cheer:

Bronx19
Oct 1st, 2010, 12:59 PM
Yet Caro keeps on winning? Funny that...

She can win all the small fish tournaments she likes, it wont count in the history books.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Oct 1st, 2010, 01:00 PM
The first set of this match was the worst display of women's tennis i had seen all year. Everything just fell into the realms of tragedy. Azarenka's serve was the real nadir of this match. Azarenka's service action actually looks quite efficient, but she deaccelerates so dramatically with the racquet, that there's just no sting coming from that shot at all. Wozniacki was able to involve herself in these laborious rallies, with Azarenka unable to hit through her forehand with any kind of consistency, looping and scooping through the forehand, with all her body-weight going backwards.

Wozniacki doing the bare minimum as usual. Decent enough depth, adequate serving, and was the perrenial foil to Azarenka's vertical style of hitting. There's just no way Azarenka can hit through Wozniacki consistently whilst serving dismally and making 4 rank errrors per game. Just isn't going to happen.

Only saw the first set though, so the rest could have been slightly more competitive. Kinda sad though that this is a glimpse into the future without Venus/Serena/Justine/Clijsters. There's just no spark to these matches, no sense of occasion. Meh.

WORD!

Kind of expected this, as I had wrote in the WWW thread, its just a very weird match-up.

moby
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM
I saw the second and it was probably the worst set of tennis I've ever seen. When Wozniacki can't keep the ball in despite not trying to do anything with it, and her opponent fails to capitalise through a flurry of double faults and anything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better errors, you know you're in hell.

Just as I thought that Wozniacki was finally going to end the match in two with all those false break-backs of serve, she played a notorious tiebreak. I bailed.

P.S. Vika literally choked serving for the second set at 5-4 30-all. When she returned from her coughing/choking fit, she promptly served a double-fault.

Huntress55
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
Didnt watch any of it, but :yeah: for the win Caro :)

delicatecutter
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM
This match was incredibly soul-sucking and I can't believe I stayed up hours past my bedtime to watch the first two sets. Everyone knows how I feel about Wozniacki but Azarenka was just dire. Her serve is normally very consistent but it failed her time and time again in this match. I feel very angry and want to jump off a bridge somewhere.

Lachy
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM
This match was incredibly soul-sucking and I can't believe I stayed up hours past my bedtime to watch the first two sets. Everyone knows how I feel about Wozniacki but Azarenka was just dire. Her serve is normally very consistent but it failed her time and time again in this match. I feel very angry and want to jump off a bridge somewhere.

:happy: :rolls:

Serenita
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM

uhm no, Caro has change her game she's the one hitting the winners and hitting dtl. She has the mentality to win GS, unlike Azarenka, and rest. The girl serve has improved, she's gonna get better and actually dominate this generation.

rockstar
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:20 PM
uhm no, Caro has change her game she's the one hitting the winners and hitting dtl. She has the mentality to win GS, unlike Azarenka, and rest. The girl serve has improved, she's gonna get better and actually dominate this generation.

THIS.
like it or not, caro is the future

Beat
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:23 PM
This match was incredibly soul-sucking

soul-sucking is the perfect word. actually, having watched this match, the problem with this kind of play is not whether it is "pushing" and/or "ballbashing", but the complete and utter lack of any kind of variety. slices? drop shots? some kind of net play? forget it.

Lucemferre
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:26 PM
The first set of this match was the worst display of women's tennis i had seen all year.

I saw the second and it was probably the worst set of tennis I've ever seen.

:haha: Any comments on the third? :lol:

goldenlox
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM
I thought Caro played better than her semi loss to Vera.
She played good enough to beat almost everyone on the tour. Including Azarenka

The only criticism I would have is that she should have closed in 2 sets, and once it went to 3, should have served it out sooner than 5-4

DownInAHole
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:30 PM

Come here, little fella, I think you need this. :hug:

delicatecutter
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM
soul-sucking is the perfect word. actually, having watched this match, the problem with this kind of play is not whether it is "pushing" and/or "ballbashing", but the complete and utter lack of any kind of variety. slices? drop shots? some kind of net play? forget it.

I honestly find 90% of Caro's matches excrutiating to watch. The only ones that are enjoyable are the ones she loses, where her opponent is able to overcome Caro's ugly and tedious game. Most of the time she just brings her opponents down to her level, forcing them into neverending boring rallies, which she excels at. She is incredibly effective at what she does, but she has absolutely NO flair or artistry.

danieln1
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:50 PM
After the first set I just fell asleep and didn´t wake up until the end... by the commentaries here, I didn´t miss much!

Roookie
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:53 PM
I watched the first set and that was awful shit from Vika. I'm surprised this went to 3.

Matt01
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:02 PM

Don't jump, there will be many more matches from Caro that you can enjoy :hug:

gmak
Oct 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM
that was :help: :scared: :lol:

Vika :sad: :( good comeback in the 3rd
considering this was her first tournament after the USOpen drama :hug:

Caro :o get it together girl

terjw
Oct 1st, 2010, 05:29 PM
She keeps on winning.
:bowdown: Wozniacki. Future WTA #1

Saw the secomd half of the second set up to when Caro raced to a 3-0 lead in the third set. Caro was playing quite agrressively trying to move Vika around and finish points off at the net. The trouble with what I saw - she was just making too many UEs. I'm glad though that she was trying to be the one making something happen but don't want her to lose being miserly with UEs.

Caro was actually furious at herself for those UEs. Flinging her racket around, kicking the ball. No-one hates making those UEs more than her. Most of her UEs were after rallies of several strokes - not too many on the 1st shot. We did get rallies. This was nowhere near the worst match ever. But then again - if you read match result comments - 99% of matches played are the worst match ever played according to some. :lol:

WD Caro - keep up the winning streak and take this title.

TennisFan66
Oct 1st, 2010, 05:46 PM
I honestly find 90% of Caro's matches excrutiating to watch. The only ones that are enjoyable are the ones she loses, where her opponent is able to overcome Caro's ugly and tedious game. Most of the time she just brings her opponents down to her level, forcing them into neverending boring rallies, which she excels at. She is incredibly effective at what she does, but she has absolutely NO flair or artistry.

Is there something/someone preventing you from just switching to Disney channel or watch some old Anna Chak matches on your VHS? I've seen nothing from you but moaning over Caro, yet you appear glued to your TV/PC stream every time the girl plays. Maybe you should have a hard look at yourself and ponder WTF is going on. Are you a masochist or just someone who loves to moan?

delicatecutter
Oct 1st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Is there something/someone preventing you from just switching to Disney channel or watch some old Anna Chak matches on your VHS? I've seen nothing from you but moaning over Caro, yet you appear glued to your TV/PC stream every time the girl plays. Maybe you should have a hard look at yourself and ponder WTF is going on. Are you a masochist or just someone who loves to moan?

I had to watch this match as it was very important for my Suicide tournament this week. But I always like to watch Caro matches on the off chance that she'll lose.

Break My Rapture
Oct 1st, 2010, 06:09 PM
Oh Vika :tape: :o Way too up and down today. Why does she always insists on pushing against Woz? :o But still a nice week. Polish your game a bit for Beijing please, it'll be necessary. :sobbing:

Some of the patches of this match really showed how Wozniacki really LACKS in offensive skills. She made loads of dumb errors when attacking.

mariavikafan
Oct 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM
Azarenka what the hell was that:eek: I can't really blame her we all know in tennis when a player sucks you just suck too the match was so poor well from what I saw it was horrible I almost died.

Jane Lane
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM
Vika WTF :tape: Great week after USO girl, :hug: Keep it up next week!

rucolo
Oct 1st, 2010, 07:59 PM
Caroline into Tokyo final!:yeah::D:bounce:

Vika :hug:

12 DFs from Vika!:lol:

Dementieva has a better serve than Vika.:o

Win the title, Caro!!!

Bismarck.
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:13 PM
Seriously, if this is a match we can expect in the second week of a Grand Slam when all half-watchable players retire, that will be the true nail in the coffin of the WTA.

Disgrace to tennis:o:o:o:o:o:o

DownInAHole
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:21 PM
Seriously, if this is a match we can expect in the second week of a Grand Slam when all half-watchable players retire, that will be the true nail in the coffin of the WTA.

Disgrace to tennis:o:o:o:o:o:o

No doubt about it this was an ugly match but it was just one match. I think the game will be fine in the future. If no American players step up after the Williams sisters retire I can see the ratings taking a hit in the US but I think the game will survive.

Matt01
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:38 PM

Maybe you missed it but my good old friend delicatecutter is a closeted Wozniacki fan ;)

Ryan
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:58 PM

Maybe you missed it but my good old friend delicatecutter is a closeted Wozniacki fan ;)

I think he just enjoys punishing himself. With a name like delicatecutter, who knows what else he does to enjoy/hurt himself. ;) :p

Matt01
Oct 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM
I think he just enjoys punishing himself. With a name like delicatecutter, who knows what else he does to enjoy/hurt himself. ;) :p

Good point. :)

cn ireland
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:04 PM
Great win for Caro:)

AnomyBC
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:55 AM
Caro tried to choke for her friend, but it didn't work :)

Corswandt
Oct 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
I saw the last two sets of this, and the feeling I got was that I was watching Gilles Simon play against himself, + some moonballing and of course way more errors.

But people shouldn't worry as this is not what's in store for us in high stakes matches within a couple of years.

Shriekarenka failed to hold serve heaven knows how many times from late in the 2nd set to the middle of the 3rd. And no, contrary to popular belief that doesn't mean she's a "headcase", or that such fluctuations are down to her "temper" or something of the sort. Her serve is designed to start a rally from an advantageous or even merely neutral position, and she almost never wins free points off it, so of course she's going to struggle to close out sets and matches on her own serve.

Not being very strong physically also doesn't help. It's difficult to generate pace from a light frame such as hers, unless one has a good enough natural timing to create it through "leverage effect" (which Shriekarenka hasn't). For most of the match, you could feel that Wozniacki's shots are actually heavier than Shriekarenka's.

But there's one thing I have to ask though: nearly every time that Shriekarenka pounded Wozniacki's FH side with angled CC FHs of her own, she ended up winning the point. Why couldn't she keep doing it?

Pops Maellard
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
I saw the last two sets of this, and the feeling I got was that I was watching Gilles Simon play against himself, + some moonballing and of course way more errors.

But people shouldn't worry as this is not what's in store for us in high stakes matches within a couple of years.

Shriekarenka failed to hold serve heaven knows how many times from late in the 2nd set to the middle of the 3rd. And no, contrary to popular belief that doesn't mean she's a "headcase", or that such fluctuations are down to her "temper" or something of the sort. Her serve is designed to start a rally from an advantageous or even merely neutral position, and she almost never wins free points off it, so of course she's going to struggle to close out sets and matches on her own serve.

Not being very strong physically also doesn't help. It's difficult to generate pace from a light frame such as hers, unless one has a good enough natural timing to create it through "leverage effect" (which Shriekarenka hasn't). For most of the match, you could feel that Wozniacki's shots are actually heavier than Shriekarenka's.

But there's one thing I have to ask though: nearly every time that Shriekarenka pounded Wozniacki's FH side with angled CC FHs of her own, she ended up winning the point. Why couldn't she keep doing it?

She started thinking about Coke and chocolate bars.