PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo QF Epic: Francesca Schiavone def. Kaia Kanepi 7-5 4-6 7-5

Six Feet Under
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:17 AM
WHAT AN EPIC :eek::worship:

This match had everything :awww:
Kanepi even had 2 sp's at 5-4 in the first.
Another at 5-2 in the second
Kanepi also led 3-1 in the 3rd
Fran then lead 5-3, having MP at 5-4

You've got to give Kanepi some credit :bowdown:

She has come from 140 in May to be back in the top 25 after this tournament :worship:
She did the hard yards qualifying for alot of events and winning on the itf circuit to get herself back.

After her epic choke at Wimbledon, she won her first tour title shortly after and has never looked back, she is showing some real promise :bowdown:

I just want to give her a big :hug::sad:

Schiavone also deserves credit, played some excellent attack and defense.
She even did her signature tweener :bowdown:
Gracious winner :awww:

Congratulations Girls :cheer:
3 Hours and 10 min, what a match!

Caralenko
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Want to use another emoticon then?

Kaia's serve really deserted her at the end, she had so many chances. Either way, a very tired victim for Elena or Vera.

cocco80
FANTASTIC WIN !!!

FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, you legend. I'm so happy she managed to pull it through. :banana: :banana: :banana:

So happy for her.

AnaJie
a long long long long ... match

Marionated
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Fran should have closed it out at 5-4 but she hit some :weirdo: volleys.

48 winners :worship:

Kaia fought well :hug:

nevetssllim
Fran. :worship: :D Kick ass in the semis now. :armed:

Six Feet Under
Want to use another emoticon then?

Kaia's serve really deserted her at the end, she had so many chances. Either way, a very tired victim for Elena or Vera.

Yes that df at 5-5 40-AD was very dishearting :sad:
But she has to look at the positives from this match :cheer:

duhcity
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Franny has really grown on me

DownInAHole
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Was this match a record for most consecutive breaks by both players? I only caught the last set but I thought the commentator said that neither player held from sometime in the first set till midway through the second. Weird match.

hardball
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
what a fight. in the end the difference was 2 points.

well-done schiavone. kaia had the opportunities but did not take them. better luck next time, kaia!

hardball
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Was this match a record for most consecutive breaks by both players? I only caught the last set but I thought the commentator said that neither player held from sometime in the first set till midway through the second. Weird match.

no not quite. there were 15 breaks of serve in total.

jimmy_the_greek
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:23 AM
congrats fran!!

ViennaCalling
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Fran is such a warrior :drool: :inlove:

Beat the shit out of Vera or Elena in the Semis - you can play smarter than these girls :)

tennnisfannn
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:25 AM
well done girls, hopefully Fran will be fresh enough for tomorrow's game

WhoAmI?
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:26 AM
There was so little in between them. I think it was the best match by Kaia this year, such a shame she had to lose it:sad::hug:

They had some great points:)

winners/ue

Fran 48/52
Kaia 29/54

Fran's fun to watch, I hope she'll get 2 more wins here;)

hardball
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:30 AM
There was so little in between them. I think it was the best match by Kaia this year, such a shame she had to lose it:sad::hug:

u really think so? the best one i have seen so far was the final in palermo.

Fantasy Hero
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM
i like both and this match was one of the greatest i've seen this season :bowdown:

tennis-insomniac
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Amazing love the WTA :worship: I'm so proud of Fran she took every shot to her heart , Kaia :hug:

Fantasy Hero
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM

yeah in this final she was great but probably she was really helped by a a Pennetta in Sucketta mood :lol:

messing
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM
That was a helluva match! :speakles: :eek: Maybe not the prettiest but I thoroughly enjoyed it. :hearts:

Fran, terrible BP conversion, still showed some gutsy and brilliant play as always! :worship:
This loss would be hard to swallow for Kaia, since she had her moments to take it, then those ill-timed DFs painfully failed her. :sad: But I believe she will be ok. Keep it up! :hug:

BTW, Fran's scheduled to play a doubles match after this. :unsure:

WhoAmI?
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM

Well, I should add *the best that i've seen*, I didn't see the full Palermo match.

Six Feet Under
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:36 AM
That was a helluva match! :speakles: :eek: Maybe not the prettiest but I thoroughly enjoyed it. :hearts:

Fran, terrible BP conversion, still showed some gutsy and brilliant play as always! :worship:
This loss would be hard to swallow for Kaia, since she had her moments to take it, then those ill-timed DFs painfully failed her. :sad: But I believe she will be ok. Keep it up! :hug:

Oh god :sobbing:

nevetssllim
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:38 AM

No problem for Fran. She looked as fresh as a daisy at the end of the match. :worship:

Anyway, it might be put off as it's still raining in Tokyo...

claypova
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:42 AM
:inlove: what a match, but shame kaia didn't pull through :sad:

good luck next round, fran :D:D:D

MAGIKARPETTA
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:42 AM

No problem. Sexa is young inside and Tax will help her :cool:

young_gunner913
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM
FORZE FRANSEXA!! :worship:

cocco80
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
FORZE FRANSEXA!! :worship:

forzA !

messing
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
No problem for Fran. She looked as fresh as a daisy at the end of the match. :worship:

Anyway, it might be put off as it's still raining in Tokyo...

No problem. Sexa is young inside and Tax will help her :cool:
Hope you guys are right :lol: and who knows what kind of match Lena and Vera will have later. :p

edificio
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:55 AM
A lot of errors in that match. I think Kaia might have been feeling some leg cramps toward the end. She kept stretching her quads in the last set. But Franny definitely froze up a bit when she first served for the match.

MAGIKARPETTA
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Hope you guys are right :lol: and who knows what kind of match Lena and Vera will have later. :p

Or maybe they will withdraw from doubles, cause Tax plays Beijing Quali on Friday :shrug:

Renalicious
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Epic match, congrats Fran. :inlove:

Sharpie4me
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Kaia :sad:
Franny :) now lose to Bepa/Elena :hug:

propi
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Paca :cheer::cheer::banana::dance:
Let's win the tournament :bounce:

messing
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Or maybe they will withdraw from doubles, cause Tax plays Beijing Quali on Friday :shrug:
Yup. L. RAYMOND /R. STUBBS into SF by W.O

vik
Sep 30th, 2010, 10:38 AM
poor Kaia, such a tight match... good luck Franny, hope you will win the tourney

QueenBee
Sep 30th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Fran :bowdown: now loose against Lena :p

Root
Sep 30th, 2010, 11:58 AM
No, Kaia. :sobbing: And it was such a close match. She was the last thing I was willing to follow after Miss. Doublefault was out from the first round. :sad:

Ballbasher
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Kaia :bigcry: :hug: Great tournamet. Hopefully she can remain consistent in Beijing!
Congrats Francesca.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Awesome fight Franny! :woohoo:

Kaia :hug:

FORZA SARITA
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Sexa :cheer: hope she will be fresh for tomorrow :) has to beat Lena to keep her away from YEC :armed:

delicatecutter
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Great job Franci!! Good luck against Lena! :cheer:

gmak
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Kaia :sad: :hug:
another good tournament though

good luck in Beijing :yeah:

tennis-insomniac
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:08 PM
RrZo2kwxDrU

Valanga
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Go Fran!

tennis-insomniac
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:15 PM
gotta love fran she brought so much energy to the game

Lulu.
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Ugh Kaia. :(
Congrats Fran.

amy_lee
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Well I thought I saw her do the twenner again. I was like, NO WAY !!!
But then, no video or any mention of it. SO I thought I just dreamed it cos of exhaustion.
But still, someone mentioned it here so.. Jay. I guess people are already used to it :o

edificio
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Well I thought I saw her do the twenner again. I was like, NO WAY !!!
But then, no video or any mention of it. SO I thought I just dreamed it cos of exhaustion.
But still, someone mentioned it here so.. Jay. I guess people are already used to it :o

She did do the "tweener," and it went in, but Kaia returned, then Franny hit hastily, and then Kaia hit a winner. So the shot was effective in keeping play going, but it wasn't a winner this time. [Oh, looks like I misread what you were saying. Sorry to be redundant.]

mauresmofan
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:17 AM
Shame that shot Franny hit didn't make the highlights reel - always a crowd pleaser. Hope she can keep it going she's immensely fit so hopefully todays show stopper won't hinder her too much. What a 2010 she's having!

danieln1
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:35 AM
I agree, Kanepi was on a 10+ losing streak not a while ago, I always liked her, for whatever reason...

Now she´s in the form of her life and she´s fit, hopefully she´ll have more success!