PDA

View Full Version : Real #1 of 1990- Seles or Graf

selesisqueen
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Since Heninfan made a couple threads about the true #1 in recent years I think a better question is who is the true #1 of 1990- Graf or Seles. For me it is by far Seles. She won the French Open and Miami and the WTA Championships, the two biggest non slam events. Graf's Australian Open title doesnt even really count since Seles, Navratlova, and Sanchez werent there, and Sabatini was knocked out of the tournament by injury. There was literally nobody there. Graf's year end #1 ranking was a joke as much of her other success is.

spencercarlos
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Since Heninfan made a couple threads about the true #1 in recent years I think a better question is who is the true #1 of 1990- Graf or Seles. For me it is by far Seles. She won the French Open and Miami and the WTA Championships, the two biggest non slam events. Graf's Australian Open title doesnt even really count since Seles, Navratlova, and Sanchez werent there, and Sabatini was knocked out of the tournament by injury. There was literally nobody there. Graf's year end #1 ranking was a joke as much of her other success is.
Then add Sabatini as an option :lol:, and since she is prettier, she was the "real" number one in 1990. In fact lets play the latter format of YEC final 1990 and Sabatini really won that 4-6 7-5 6-3, the last two sets never happened :devil:..

On a more serious note, you and Heninfan are just best recent precious pearls around this forum. :lol:

duhcity
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:44 AM
On a more serious note, you and Heninfan are just best recent precious pearls around this forum. :lol:

Peak "Pass her peak" threads beat Peak "True #1" threads by a mile.

justineheninfan
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Graf by far.

Graf slam results- Win, Finals, Final, semis
Seles Slam results- Win, Quarters, 3rd round, DNP

No comparision.

Graf also won more tournaments, won more matches, lost fewer matches. Graf's only losses that year were to Seles twice, Sabatini twice, and her worst was a loss to Garrison. Seles lost to Fairbank Nidifier, Frazier, Ferrando (at the U.S Open), and a couple other lowly ranked opponents.

jimmy_the_greek
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Seles!!

selesisqueen
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Graf also won more tournaments

Dumb reasoning. Graf's tournaments were mostly tier 2 and tier 3 titles. Seles won big tier 1 events and the WTA Championships.

Mephisto
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:57 AM
they both equally suck ... :o

irma
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:31 AM
If Steffi's career was such a joke then what does that say about the people who seem to have a deep jealousy and obsession about her "joke" achievements :o

skanky~skanketta
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Graf obviously was.

Bismarck.
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Graf.

JackFrost
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Graf was listed as number 1 in the ranking at the end of the year 1990, so yeah, she was the "real" number 1. Really.
Seles can be the number one of 1990 in your fantasy, but your wishes donīt make her the "real" number 1. :)

Beat
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
oh no, not another trollish thread from seleisisqueen :help:

Helen Lawson
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Prize money for these gals for 1990? As Ginger Rogers once so aptly told me, "It's all about the Dough Re Me on the dotted line, Hel."

Kworb
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM
For sure Seles.

Betten
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Aren't there any moderators here? Just move this thread to the BFTP-forum!

These who was better-threads are incredibly tiring and repetitive...

Helen Lawson
Sep 30th, 2010, 10:45 AM
How about moving them all into the trash can?

Le Chat
Sep 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Seles no doubt

Dave.
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:11 PM
OK this one is even more ridiculous than the 2001 thread. 1990 was one of Graf's very best seasons, it's just overshadowed because she has so many years with 3+ slams. But just look at her record in 1990, 4 losses in the entire year!! Seles was still firmly behind Graf at this point.

Where exactly is the argument for Seles? Graf did far, far better in the slams, she won more titles than anyone else that year, best w/l record. :confused:

delicatecutter
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Steffi for sure! :bigclap:

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:39 PM
OK this one is even more ridiculous than the 2001 thread. 1990 was one of Graf's very best seasons, it's just overshadowed because she has so many years with 3+ slams. But just look at her record in 1990, 4 losses in the entire year!! Seles was still firmly behind Graf at this point.

Where exactly is the argument for Seles? Graf did far, far better in the slams, she won more titles than anyone else that year, best w/l record. :confused:

The argument for Seles is, while both Graf and Seles won 1 Slam, that Seles won the biggest tournaments outside of the Slams (YEC, Miami) and that she led the H2H 2:0 against Graf (beating her twice in straight sets).

And some of your stats above are wrong. Graf lost 5 matches in 1990 (Seles lost 6).

spencercarlos
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:42 PM
The argument for Seles is, while both Graf and Seles won 1 Slam, that Seles won the biggest tournaments outside of the Slams (YEC, Miami) and that she led the H2H 2:0 against Graf (beating her twice in straight sets).

And some of your stats above are wrong. Graf lost 5 matches in 1990 (Seles lost 6).
Add German Open, Rome for Selesīs rescord.

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Add German Open, Rome for Selesīs rescord.

Seles won 3 Tier I tournaments, Graf won 1 Tier I (Canada).

Dave.
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM

hmm, but people are overlooking the Graf's far superior slam record that year. They both won 1, but Graf had 2 more finals and a semi. Seles had a QF, DNP, and 3R loss to Linda Ferrando.

Graf didn't lose before the semifinals in any tournament that year (winning 10/15 played). Seles doesn't come close to that, and I don't think her winning Miami (where her toughest opponent was Nathalie Tauziat) changes any of that.

This all coming from a huge Seles fan btw.

Helen Lawson
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hmm, I'm thinking it's a Steffi fan trying to ridicule Monica, but maybe I'm giving too much credit.

AjdeNate!
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I blame the Linda Ferrando match on the racket switch Karolj orchestrated just the day before the match took place. Monica had only hit with that racket for about 30 minutes prior to the match. And, she did nearly win 6-7 in the 3rd.

Direwolf
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Caro Wozniacki.