PDA

View Full Version : Hopman Cup 2011 - Serbia #1 seeds.

Droolv
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:44 AM
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/tennis/8040882/molik-on-hopman-mission/

Australia: Molik/Hewitt
USA: S.Williams/Isner
Serbia: Ivanovic/Djokovic
Belgium: Henin/Darcis
France: Mladenovic/Monfils
Italy: Schiavone/Starace
Kazakhstan: Shvedova/Golubev

The field is pretty decent, only one more team is left. Who do you think will be the 8th team?

Keadz
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Do they still do the Asian Hopman Cup play off or did they just stick Kazahkstan in?

Atleast we know Alicia is sticking around for another year...

Ivanovic, Fran, Serena and Henin :) Thats pretty decent.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Russia?:shrug: Sharapova should play there.:devil:

claypova
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Molik for Australia? :crying2: we're in for another defeat :wavey:

i hope Murray/Robson comes back. They were very enjoyable to watch and they drew in big crowds.

Droolv
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Do they still do the Asian Hopman Cup play off or did they just stick Kazahkstan in?

Meanwhile, McNamee flagged the collapse of the Asian Hopman Cup qualifying event as a blessing in disguise, with tournament organisers no longer restricted to selecting the qualifying nation, allowing them to lure the strongest possible field to Perth.

A lack of fan interest forced organisers to abandon the event after only four years.

"There won't be an Asian Hopman Cup in the foreseeable future and we'll be free to pick whatever team we want," McNamee said.

"Preferably we'd like to have an Asian nation because of Western Australia's proximity and alliance with the region, but ultimately it's up to the quality of the European teams.

"We want to strengthen the field and not have an obligation to this, or an obligation to that."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/tennis/alicia-molik-in-line-for-hopman-cup-return-is-sam-stosur-a-no-show/story-e6frg273-1225902480892 ;)

Keadz
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Thanks :) Well thats good, but still don't like the choice of Kazahkstan if they're not required to choose a team from that region. If they were going for an Asian nation Japan, China, Taiwan or India would have been better IMO.

claypova
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:06 AM
i liked it when Chinese Taipei played. :tears:

but Kazakhstan is still a good. They were just one point away from making the finals this year :eek:

Droolv
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Kazakhstan nearly made the final this year... but true, I'd prefer Spain or Russia over them.

hdfb
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Pretty good field considering the past few years. Too bad France isn't represented by a better female player.

Caralenko
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Pretty good field considering the past few years. Too bad France isn't represented by a better female player.

No different to Robson in 2010. :shrug:

IceSkaTennisFan
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:59 AM
too bad Nadal or Fed won't play. Djoko's the only top 10 guy in the draw.

hellas719
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Russia?

Singleniacki
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Chinese Taipei please :tears:

:lol: Mladenovic for France, shows the state of their national tennis

hdfb
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:17 AM
No different to Robson in 2010. :shrug:

UK have no options, France have Rezai, Bartoli, Razzano and others more established than Mlandenovic.

tennnisfannn
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I can't wait to go to the HC, I won't hold my breath for serena though. I hope Justine shows up, she is one of the few top ones I haven't seen in person.

Wiggly
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Laura and Andy would be the perfect final entry to this field.

Josh.
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Good god, Alicia is going to get her arse handed to her.

Mateo Mathieu
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Why can't they ask Jarmila or Anastasia instead? :sobbing:

ChumChum
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I would have prefered jarmila groth. I think Spain should get the last spot considering they won Hopman Cup last year.

Mashabator
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:16 AM
:o Dokic is ranked higher than Molik, i wanna see Jelena there, TA never give her many chances...
But Molik or Dokic would get smashed probably :tape: why not Jarmila?

ChumChum
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:34 AM
actually, now that I really think about it, Molik is a poor, poor choice. Jarmila is winning matches, Dokic WILL pull crowds and they could also give someone young (e.g. Rogowska)a chance. Why Molik?
Spain,Russia or Germany are the most likely options for the 8th spot. Didn't Andy say that he'll only play Hopman Cup with Laura??

kitasss_vlc
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:36 AM
wow Serena, Djokovic, Henin? :eek::eek::eek:

I think Spain should get the last spot... MJMS and Robredo won last year, I think they deserve to play again! (I mean, Spain, not necessary the same players)

V.Melb
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Those of you who are criticizing the selection of Mladenovic clearly do not know the Hopman cup very well at all. of course there are numerous french women with more experience who may be stronger competitors, but that is not the aim here.
The Hopman Cup makes a point of selecting a few young players with little experience as part of the tournament every year, they have already done this with some players who now play regularly on the tour, for example Virginie Razano, or Barbora Strycova (who was 16 years old when she played Hopman Cup) and of course last year with Laura Robson.
So the selection of Mladenovic is indeed very normal as they seek to give a young talent the opportunity to play the big names.
so her selection is not such a surprise if you know a bit of history of the hopman cup.

Singleniacki
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:59 AM
I wonder who will play for serena :lol:

claypova
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:04 AM
anyone but Melanie Oudin :tears: she was played absolutely horrible this year :o

i hope Serena does play here. The stronger the field, the better :drool:

MAGIKARPETTA
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Franny with Starace... :help:

TS
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Molik/Hewitt. Gosh, how very 2004 :yawn:

ChumChum
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I wonder who will play for serena :lol:

coco?

au_sports_opinion
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:49 AM
coco?

conan o'brien?

Rafito.
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Oh my Ana/Novak! This is going to be great :inlove:

AUSBOY
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Why can't they ask Jarmila or Anastasia instead? :sobbing:

Jarka needs to play Brisbane and try and get points to secure a top 32 seedings for Aust Open!

AUSBOY
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:04 AM
[quote=Mashabator;18594499]:o Dokic is ranked higher than Molik, i wanna see Jelena there, TA never give her many chances...quote]

No she's not, Dokic out of top 100 now and falling fast the next few weeks

ChumChum
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:21 AM
conan o'brien?

coco vandeweghe

Mateo Mathieu
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I'm sure Dokic would beat Molik if they're playing each other right now :lol:

The scores probably would be 7-6 6-7 7-6 :rolleyes:

tim2502
Sep 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Two Russians represent Asia?
What a shame. :o

Elisse
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:16 PM

I wish this was made into a bigger tournament with more teams and better TV coverage!! Sad to not see teams from Spain, Germany, Russia, Japan, China, Uzbekistan, UK, Argentina and make it more of a global event...that would be so fun!! :worship:

Sad also to hear that the Asian Hopman Cup has been ended - I didn't realise :sad: But that's not true about the lack of interest that was stated in that article posted in this thread!! It's probably ended because the guy in charge got an a nice little pay packet from Kazakhstan to give them direct entry :o It was his fault Uzbekistan didn't take part the last two years....he was pissed with Uzbek Tennis Federation so said they would never take part in Hopman Cup again...and his decision was final, no way round it...though Akgul & Denis Istomin really wanted to play, they had no choice because the guy who controlled Asian Hopman Cup (can't remember his name) blocked Uzbekistan taking part permanently :sad:

I really enjoyed watching Asian Hopman Cup on Eurosport in 2008, it was a nice event.....sad ES got refused rights to show it last year by the same guy who ruined it for Uzbekistan too :o (In many ways, it's as if he wanted it to fail...)

tennisforadults
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM

Most interesting teams for me are USA and Serbia. Italy and Belgium not far behind.

I don't know about Australia - neither Hewitt nor Molik has been in good form.

Harvs
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
molik, really?
would have loved groth, but i suppose she wouldnt do it without her husband..

ChrisCologne
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I would not be surprised if they try to get Haas or Del Potro to play as they come back injured and donīt have ranking-points-pressure as in former years. Dulko and Petkovic/Lisicki could stand in for them. Germany is in doubt though after some years without luck. I could predict they had enough Germany in recent years.

On the other hand, maybe Japan is in store with Nishikori coming back and Date-Krumm as THE story of 2009/2010

FORZA SARITA
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM
fran is gonna play mixed :bolt: i can't remember the last time :scratch: probably never happened :lol:
but potito is useless on hard :o well all italian mugs suck on it so :lol:

Mashabator
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:51 PM
[quote=Mashabator;18594499]:o Dokic is ranked higher than Molik, i wanna see Jelena there, TA never give her many chances...quote]

Oops, forgot she lost athens points, well still she was ranked higher :p

au_sports_opinion
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM
its on one not abc this year i think i read.

Sammo
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:14 PM
How cool!! This means Sam will play Brisbane! Also I'm gonna love to see Alicia and Lleyton back together!

Huntress55
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
molik, really?
would have loved groth, but i suppose she wouldnt do it without her husband..

I would love that team :hearts: I mean its not like Aus has much of a chance anyways. :p

So that means Jarka will probs play Brisbane so Ill get to see her play too :)

gsm86
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM
fran is gonna play mixed :bolt: i can't remember the last time :scratch: probably never happened :lol:

I remember she made a GS semifinal with Bjorkman and played Hopman Cup with Sanguinetti some years ago.

but potito is useless on hard :o well all italian mugs suck on it so :lol:

Potito is quite decent in double, I think that he and Fran could make a good team :yeah:

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Of the nations here, I would have chosen the following differently:

Australia: Stosur/Hewitt
Belgium: Henin/Malisse
France: Rezai :devil:/Monfils

I hope Ivanovic is in a better place next year (at present, I can see her losing to all the players; don't know about Mladenovic), else I would prefer Jankovic.

Mynarco
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:16 PM
go Sarin and Isnah

ChumChum
Oct 1st, 2010, 02:13 AM
its on one not abc this year i think i read.

yup, a daily session will be televised on channel One HD, while 20 hours will screen on Channel 10.

Droolv
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:11 AM
Do Foxtel still have the night sessions?

hellas719
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:19 AM
Schiavone has played before ;)
I remember the only time Greece competed (2001 or 2002 or something) Italy beat Greece and Schiavone beat Daniilidou :p

jimmy_the_greek
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:23 AM
Molik? she is at her peak now, would have preferred stosur by a landslide. Either way good luck to them!

ChumChum
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:30 AM
Do Foxtel still have the night sessions?

THE AGE- August 4, 2010
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/williams-djokovic-head-stars-lured-to-hopman-cup-20100803-115fq.html
TEN Network's ONE HD has replaced the ABC and Foxtel as the main Hopman Cup broadcaster this summer, with a daily session of the annual mixed teams championship to feature on the digital sports channel, as well as 20 hours of national coverage during the week on Ten.

I guess that means no foxtel for hopman cup.

ChumChum
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:32 AM
oh, and the whole final will be live on channel 10

Josh.
Oct 1st, 2010, 05:10 AM
^ Not bad coverage. Although I did love the ABC's coverage, will it be different people presenting/commentating?

tennisforadults
Oct 1st, 2010, 05:48 AM
Molik? she is at her peak now, would have preferred stosur by a landslide. Either way good luck to them!

I'm sure the Hopman organisers wanted Sam but Sam commited herself to Brisbane International instead.

I think it works out better that way. Sam and Lleyton played this year and both were terrible. :o Brisbane will be home sweet home for Sam.

eDonkey
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:03 AM
awesome field!! :)

but I thought Bulgaria's team (Pironkova&Dimitrov) had some chances there as the BUlgarian tennis federation was noisily bragging about applying for Hopman Cup.Not that Pironkova really deserved it with her post-Wimbledon 4 matches won of 6...But I really supposed we had some chances.:o

Now I expect all media here in choir explaining that tennis world hates us and so on and so far.
But what's doing Ivanovic there - just to gather the crowds? Or? :o

ChumChum
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:07 AM
^ Not bad coverage. Although I did love the ABC's coverage, will it be different people presenting/commentating?

I don't know, I don't think so. Channel One have quite a number of media personalites and especially if it's going to be broadcast on channel 10, they'd want to use their own people i.e. liz ellis, brad McEwan, Luke Darcy, Nicole Livingstone, Mark Howard, Tim Lane etc. Hopefully, we get someone who knows what they're talking about.

iRed_uBlue
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM
poor Australia. Molik is going to lose 2 and 2 every singles match.

ChumChum
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:15 AM
poor Australia. Molik is going to lose 2 and 2 every singles match.

i agree

Droolv
Oct 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Laura and Andy return to Perth ;) Thoughts on the field? Who will win?

http://hopmancup.com/?id=103&newsid=356

scoobz
Oct 12th, 2010, 12:50 PM
USA - Serena Williams and John Isner
Belgium – Justine Henin and Steve Darcis
Serbia – Ana Ivanovic and Novak Djokovic
France – Kristina Mladenovic and Gael Monfils
Kazakhstan – Yaroslava Shvedova and Andrey Golubev
Italy – Francesca Schiavone and Potito Starace
Australia – Alicia Molik and Lleyton Hewitt
Great Britain – Laura Robson and Andy Murray

That's a great field.

Noctis
Oct 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I look Forward to Hopman cup
than YEC it shows

Huntress55
Oct 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM
So happy Laura and Andy are back! Cant wait for HC :)

Mightymirza
Oct 12th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I hope both Justine and Serena play here :bounce:

VikingTennisFan
Oct 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Very happy Murray dragged Robson along :bounce: This will be a great tournament.

It would just be nice if there was anywhere to watch it in the UK other than dodgy unrealiable streams with out of sync chinese/russian commentary.

YiDi
Oct 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM
screw this, no Alize...bartoli or rezai would be fun

Jajaloo
Wow what a good field. There are 6 people playing who have won a grand slam :eek: I wish JJ was playing instead of fistpump, but still pretty good.

Can't wait to watch it on ONE!

MB.

USA favorites for sure, if Serena decides to play. Isner/Serena doubles? :hearts:
Serbia's my favorite, but I'd like it more if the Empress decided to cut her vacation short and come play with Novak instead. Good luck to them, though :yeah:
Interested to see how Mladenovic will do, too.

YiDi
Oct 12th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Wow what a good field. There are 6 people playing who have won a grand slam :eek: I wish JJ was playing instead of fistpump, but still pretty good.

Can't wait to watch it on ONE!
it isn't on ABC anymore?

Renalicious
Oct 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I highly doubt Serena will play. :lol:

Jajaloo
Oct 12th, 2010, 04:01 PM
it isn't on ABC anymore?

ABC dropped their coverage of the Hopman Cup, but ONE picked it up :inlove:

I highly doubt Serena will play. :lol:

I know. I felt bad when the Linz organisers felt for it and believed she was going to play and actually put her in the draw! I died. I have a feeling the same thing will happen here.

M.A.S.L.
Oct 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
It's a `pity, that current champions don't play.
I think it's not the first time that happens.
Another year with no interest in Hopman cup :cry:

YiDi
Oct 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM
ABC dropped their coverage of the Hopman Cup, but ONE picked it up :inlove:

ah thanks for the heads up

Vikapower
Oct 12th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Those of you who are criticizing the selection of Mladenovic clearly do not know the Hopman cup very well at all. of course there are numerous french women with more experience who may be stronger competitors, but that is not the aim here.
The Hopman Cup makes a point of selecting a few young players with little experience as part of the tournament every year, they have already done this with some players who now play regularly on the tour, for example Virginie Razano, or Barbora Strycova (who was 16 years old when she played Hopman Cup) and of course last year with Laura Robson.
So the selection of Mladenovic is indeed very normal as they seek to give a young talent the opportunity to play the big names.
so her selection is not such a surprise if you know a bit of history of the hopman cup.
Completely this. People saying Mladenovic who an upcoming talent shows the weak state of french tennis... :spit: Some posters on GM have absolutely very little notions of tennis history and it's quite common to find these kinds of comments. I'm happy Kristina finds got a chance to play in an event like this though I would have prefered Jo Wilfried in Montfils' place.

:lol: Mladenovic for France, shows the state of their national tennis
Are you french ? Do you know anything about the FFT to judge on the state of french tennis ? :help: It's true that the state of our tennis isn't glorious in terms of results but in terms of formation we surely have one of the best federations in europe furthermore someone who carries the Australian flag and plays arrogant all around shows how very clueless him/her is on the game... bar Sam Stosur let's laugh a bit... :lol:

Brena
Oct 12th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Good thing for them Kimiko isn't playing.

Droolv
Oct 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM
SEEDINGS:

1) Serbia – Ana Ivanovic and Novak Djokovic
2) USA - Serena Williams and John Isner
3) Great Britain – Laura Robson and Andy Murray
4) Belgium – Justine Henin and Steve Darcis
Italy – Francesca Schiavone and Potito Starace
Kazakhstan – Yaroslava Shvedova and Andrey Golubev
Australia – Alicia Molik and Lleyton Hewitt
France – Kristina Mladenovic and Gael Monfils