PDA

View Full Version : True #1 of 2001- Venus or Capriati

justineheninfan
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Who do you believe was the true #1 of 2001- Venus Williams or Jennifer Capriati. I personally believe it was Venus by a long shot but some especialy in the Blasters section seem to dispute that. Capriati also was awarded the WTA and ITF Player of the Year awards, and shockingly to me even the Laureus and Associated Press Athlete of the Year Awards (I literally died laughing at those choices).

I personally believe Venus was the true #1 of 2001 because:

-She won 6 tournaments to Capriati's 3
-Both won 2 slams
-Venus was 3-0 head to head vs Capriati
-Venus won Miami, one of the biggest non slam events, and bigger than Capriati's next time
-Venus dominated everyone in the top 10, Capriati had trouble with so many other top players

The only edge I see for Capriati is making the semis of all 4 slams while Venus lost 1st round of one.

Volcana
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:52 PM
True #1 was Hingis.

The best player was Venus, but that was a a time when the 'tennis establishment' (Team BJK aside) had a much more hostile ralationship with the Williams family. Back then, people weren't even keen to admit Richard Williams knew anything about tennis, or that Venus and Serena operated on anything other than brute power. AND Capriati at the cumination of the comeback story.

Bismarck.
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Davenport.

Bismarck.
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM
True #1 was Hingis.

The best player was Venus, but that was a a time when the 'tennis establishment' (Team BJK aside) had a much more hostile ralationship with the Williams family. Back then, people weren't even keen to admit Richard Williams knew anything about tennis, or that Venus and Serena operated on anything other than brute power. AND Capriati at the cumination of the comeback story.

In 2001:spit:? Absolutely no way. Just, no.

shoryuken
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I've always wondered about this as well. It should have been Venus.

Uranium
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Venus.

justineheninfan
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I guess I should have included Davenport just since she won alot of tournaments and was the computer #1 although without a slam final I dont personally think she even came close to either Venus or Jennifer this year. Hingis isnt even worth a poll option, thank god she finally lost her bogus #1 ranking just after the U.S Open.

terjw
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Venus

Sammo
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Hmmmmm I don't know lol, but since Venus hadn't reach number 1 in 2001, I'd say Capriati

danieln1
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Davenport

Matt01
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Davenport

Davenport.

:wavey:

disposablehero
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM
"True #1" is such an open-ended BS term. Best player of 2001 was Venus. Take away the 2 slam wins from each, the remainder of Capriati's year wasn't even close to Venus.

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Capriati.She reached the Semifinals of all slams and won two on her comeback!

Matt01
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:11 PM
"True #1" is such an open-ended BS term. Best player of 2001 was Venus. Take away the 2 slam wins from each, the remainder of Capriati's year wasn't even close to Venus.

Venus' performances at RG and AO were really impressive ;)

petkoan
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I just adore how Hingis held to the number one spot up to that point in the end of 2001! Legend.
Otherwise Venus and Capriati were really good. But consistency is one of the qualities of being number one. Capriati had more of that in that year : )

CJ07
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I just adore how Hingis held to the number one spot up to that point in the end of 2001! Legend.
Otherwise Venus and Capriati were really good. But consistency is one of the qualities of being number one. Capriati had more of that in that year : )
Venus was consistent. She consistently won. She had close to a 90% winning percentage

Dave.
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Change title to "true no.2" for a more relevant and accurate thread.

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Venus was consistent. She consistently won. She had close to a 90% winning percentage

What hurt her was that she didn't play many tournaments (only 12), plus her 1st round loss at RG. That's why she "only" finished the year as #3. In 2002 her winng percentage was a bit lower but she played more tourneys (16) and she finished the year as #2.

GAGAlady
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Jennifer was amazing in 2001, she was the only player who really deserved that #1 title...sentimentally and heart wise she had the whole tennis world loving her.

Venus playes well but to me Jen was the story and her slam results were better overall. I dont think the smaller titles make any difference. The slams are what have always counted. That hasnt changed.

Jennifer all the way. we miss u Jen Jen!!!!!

SerenaSlam
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM
clearly venus...the head to head is enough to trump cap in this one. and if im not mistaken cap's head to head against the other top 10 was not spectacular that year...or ever for that matter lol

FrauleinSteffi
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Jennifer for sure she reached the semis of every slam Venus lost 1R pf the French Open if Davenport had not went further at the YEC Jenny would have been #1, plus:worship::);):bounce: She was the 2001 ITF World Womens Tennis Champion & The WTA player of the year!:) Go Jenny Go You'll be in the HOF soon!:)

spencercarlos
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Jennifer for sure she reached the semis of every slam Venus lost 1R pf the French Open if Davenport had not went further at the YEC Jenny would have been #1, plus:worship::);):bounce: She was the 2001 ITF World Womens Tennis Champion & The WTA player of the year!:) Go Jenny Go You'll be in the HOF soon!:)
Agreed!!! :)

skanky~skanketta
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Venus. While it's close, Venus was a lot better and more of a threat to win all tournies compared to Capriati. And other titles count as well.

ZODIAC
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Venus was robbed and there was some rumors that WTA wasnt ready for a black no.1 player

Direwolf
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Capriati only had 3 Titles.

Once again, had Jen played some ITFs in the fall, she would have taken the number 1.

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:01 AM
How did Lindsay end up being #1 that year, with not even a slam final to her name? :lol:

DefyingGravity
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Venus' performances at RG and AO were really impressive ;)

Venus still got to the semis of the 2001 AO...still by far and a way one of her two best performances at that slam. And she got beat by someone who made 6 consecutive finals at the Australian Open.....big whoop.

I'll give you that Schett match though.

Capriati should have bounced Justine out of the Wimbledon final, she was playing so much better earlier on....and she got destroyed by Venus in the USO SF, lost to her in the Miami final, and apparently lost to her again some other time....

Venus won Wimbledon and USO for the second time, Miami, San Diego, New Haven, Hamburg...

selesisqueen
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:04 AM
How did Lindsay end up being #1 that year, with not even a slam final to her name? :lol:

Lindsay was queen of the tier 1s and tier 2s for years. I believe she has more WTA tour titles than any other active player. Of course that doesnt make her the greatest of her era as she failed so frequently to win 7 matches when it really mattered, or mean her #1s were all merited, but it is easy to see how under the flawed WTA ranking system she often ended up there.

Direwolf
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:06 AM

Lindsay+Martina has always been consistent.
Look at Caro now, and she doesn't even half of Caro's natural talent.

Venus still got to the semis of the 2001 AO...still by far and a way one of her two best performances at that slam. And she got beat by someone who made 6 consecutive finals at the Australian Open.....big whoop.

I'll give you that Schett match though.

Capriati should have bounced Justine out of the Wimbledon final, she was playing so much better earlier on....and she got destroyed by Venus in the USO SF, lost to her in the Miami final, and apparently lost to her again some other time....

Venus won Wimbledon and USO for the second time, Miami, San Diego, New Haven, Hamburg...

New Haven. Where Venus became a superwoman.

Inger67
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Oh Venus, how I wish you still played like this :bigcry:

PLP
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:47 AM

I guess I should have included Davenport just since she won alot of tournaments and was the computer #1 although without a slam final I dont personally think she even came close to either Venus or Jennifer this year. Hingis isnt even worth a poll option, thank god she finally lost her bogus #1 ranking just after the U.S Open.

:bigcry:
I believe Martina lost her ranking when she got injured playing Davenport @ Filderstadt...and was out for the rest of the season.

The rankings weren't that off IMO. Remember it's a 12 month ranking and Hingis went on a tear during the European indoor season in 2000, culminating in her awesome win at Madison Square Garden.

Anyway, Venus probably edged Jennifer for best player of 2001, but they both had phenomenal seasons.

jimmy_the_greek
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:00 AM
venus, but davenport deserves to be in this poll also.

Matt01
Sep 30th, 2010, 10:52 AM

By being consistant and by winning more titles than anyone else that year :D

justineheninfan
Sep 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Sorry I should have included Davenport in this poll. I was a little too quick to make it. Granted I dont think she has a real case at all personally with 0 slam finals and two different 2 slam winners, but I could see others making an argument atleast.

silyaunWILLIAMS
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Venus

Stern
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Venus

serenafan08
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Venus. She beat Jennifer every time they played and owns a 4-0 h2h against her. Lindsay had a great year that year as well; just ran into Jennifer and Venus at the wrong times.

Justin
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Davenport.

Exactly. :yeah:

GAGAlady
Sep 30th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Venus. While it's close, Venus was a lot better and more of a threat to win all tournies compared to Capriati. And other titles count as well.

thanks for bad repping me for giving my OPINION.

did i ever disrespect Venus? Once? i dont think so.

Am a fan of Vee's thank you very much. I just felt that Jen deserved that ranking for that particular year, thats all.

troll my butt. :rolleyes:

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 30th, 2010, 05:09 PM
All the drama with a consistent player not holding any Slam titles in the season still ending up at the top, was very much present even then. Just that Hingis/Davenport were already champions (but Hingis still got a lot of flak).

Capriati's 2001 was a heartwarming comeback, she probably deserved it. It is a sentimental pick though (she did make all Slam semis).

Olórin
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Venus :yeah:
And no, not Lindsay - she herself said that she felt "weird" ending the year ranked one.

Capriati would be my second choice and Hingis my third.

Lindsay was deservedly number one in 2005 and 2004 too.

selesisqueen
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hingis did not have a better 2001 than Lindsay. Hingis deserved a rank of #4 at best, maybe lower. It is moot though since neither should have been even close to ending the year #1. WTA rankings are often the laughing stock of the sports World.

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:35 PM
thanks for bad repping me for giving my OPINION.

did i ever disrespect Venus? Once? i dont think so.

Am a fan of Vee's thank you very much. I just felt that Jen deserved that ranking for that particular year, thats all.

troll my butt. :rolleyes:

Don't worry she/he gives bad reps all the time ;):rolleyes:

The Daviator
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:52 PM
How did Lindsay manage to end #1 this year? :rolls:

Probably Venus.

iRed_uBlue
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:08 AM
By being consistant and by winning more titles than anyone else that year :D

No. By doing what she always did. Don't win a slam during the main season.

The indoor season comes. Many of the players who won slams check out after the USO. Here comes vulturing Lindsay feasting on draws with "stars" like Hantuchova and racking up Bali, etc.

Davenport always slid into the lead at the end of the season when everyone stopped playing/caring but her.

Matt01
Oct 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM
No. By doing what she always did. Don't win a slam during the main season.

The indoor season comes. Many of the players who won slams check out after the USO. Here comes vulturing Lindsay feasting on draws with "stars" like Hantuchova and racking up Bali, etc.

Davenport always slid into the lead at the end of the season when everyone stopped playing/caring but her.

In that case maybe all those players who "check out after the USO" aren't good enough to deserve the #1 ranking.

Maria rocks
Oct 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Venus