PDA

View Full Version : If you HAD to choose, who would you prefer to be #1: Bepa or Caro?

Cakeisgood
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:08 AM
:confused::confused::confused:

cellophane
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Caro.

Bepa as number 1 would be awful, even though she did reach 2 slam finals this year.

Potato
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Bepa! For me, a much more entertaining game to watch.

Caralenko
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:11 AM
The one with slam finals on her ranking? :lol:

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Vera is 6 years older. Let her get it.
Caro has years and years ahead

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:14 AM
The one with slam finals on her ranking? :lol:

and with Pattaya City(?) as the only title she won (so far).:p

delicatecutter
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Bepa, because she plays an attractive game to watch. Also, there is always the hope for a meltdown, which are very entertaining. :lol:

The most interesting thing about Caro is finding out whether she's bothered to shave. :o

danieln1
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Which is worse: a player reaching number 1 only reaching a slam final in the year or a number 1 player with 2 slams final + MM event?

Caro is the better player though, and she deserves more to be number 1 right now

But rankings have lost their meaning long ago

ZODIAC
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:25 AM
none of them at the moment deserve the no.1 ranking....I think Caro at some point will reach that pinnacle.

Pops Maellard
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Definitely Caro.

Bepa getting #1 would be to be blunt an embarrassment. Her mental strength is non-existant.

young_gunner913
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Definitely Caro.

Bepa getting #1 would be to be blunt an embarrassment. Her mental strength is non-existant.

And Caro's game is non-existant.

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:39 AM
And Caro's game is non-existant.Yet Caro has won 20 of her last 22 matches, beating Sharapova, Zvonareva, Kuznetsova, Schiavone, Dementieva, Pennetta...

All with no game

delicatecutter
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Yet Caro has won 20 of her last 22 matches, beating Sharapova, Zvonareva, Kuznetsova, Schiavone, Dementieva, Pennetta...

All with no game

I don't call her Goatniacki for nothing. She is very good at what she does. I see no beauty in her gameplay, however. It leaves me dry.

She can also get embarrassed in matches. She lost at all four Majors this year in straight sets. :help:

claypova
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Bepa. :tears:

hurricanejeanne
Neither, but Bepa has two slam finals on her ranking for the season. Either way it's going to make the tour look a mess. (more so than it already does).

jimmy_the_greek
Caro!!

sammy01
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:05 AM
it doesn't even matter anymore, rankings are meaningless, serena, venus, clijsters and henin have put pay to that long ago.

for the WTA caro would be better as at least shes marketable and can be seen as a player who will get better results. vera is 26, has lost all but 1 of the big finals shes played, is mentally unstable and cant even be sold on potential or looks.

young_gunner913
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Yet Caro has won 20 of her last 22 matches, beating Sharapova, Zvonareva, Kuznetsova, Schiavone, Dementieva, Pennetta...

All with no game

Playing some of the most worthless tennis out there. :worship:

Pops Maellard
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:12 AM
it doesn't even matter anymore, rankings are meaningless, serena, venus, clijsters and henin have put pay to that long ago.

for the WTA caro would be better as at least shes marketable and can be seen as a player who will get better results. vera is 26, has lost all but 1 of the big finals shes played, is mentally unstable and cant even be sold on potential or looks.

So sad. The one big title Vera got she beat VIP in the final. :tears:

duhcity
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I don't call her Goatniacki for nothing. She is very good at what she does. I see no beauty in her gameplay, however. It leaves me dry.

She can also get embarrassed in matches. She lost at all four Majors this year in straight sets. :help:

:rolleyes:

And Bepa has arguably played 2 of the worst Grand Slam Finals in the last decade or two.

delicatecutter
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:14 AM

It's too bad the Tour can't be marketed on talent and tennis ability. Wozniacki is hardly a crowd favorite because the crowd is bored to tears by her play. I don't see how she could be good for the WTA because ostensibly, people want to come and watch good tennis.

It really doesn't matter anyway becase neither one will be No. 1 for very long in either case.

delicatecutter
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:18 AM

And Bepa has arguably played 2 of the worst Grand Slam Finals in the last decade or two.

Vera is new to this still. She only reached her first GS SF last year! She's also a known headcase. But at least she has a modicum of talent. She knows how to play a pleasing brand of tennis! These things cannot be overlooked. Wozniacki played her GS final waiting for Clijsters to self-destruct which thank God did not happen. She played her USO SF this year like she had no strategy or gameplan because what she normally does was seriously ineffective. And she played her Wimbledon 4r match like.. Wait, did Petra even have an opponent that day? :rolls:

Also the thread asks what "you" think so of course I am going to give my opinion. :lol:

selesisqueen
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Zvonareva since she atleast reached 2 slam finals.

delicatecutter
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:22 AM
So sad. The one big title Vera got she beat VIP in the final. :tears:

Pushing like there was no tomorrow. :sobbing: Fucking wind.

Caralenko
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Can Venus get the year end #1 if she wins Beijing/YEC?

selesisqueen
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:30 AM

The Wimbledon final wasnt bad. She was just killed. She had only 11 unforced errors so how one say she played that badly.

Uranium
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Can Venus get the year end #1 if she wins Beijing/YEC?

Yes. 1500-730 = 770 + 920 = 1690 + 5795 = 7485.

dynamoRockstarr
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Vera, two consecutive slam finals, I like her, but her mentality, nahh.

Caro... i like her too but..

I guess Caro:confused:

hankqq
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:56 AM
this is a tough one for me :lol: I mean Zvonareva is a solid player and did reach 2 consecutive slam finals which is :worship: but then she got embarrassed in both :tape: Also, her frequent tantrums and mental instability are not acceptable for a #1 player...everyone has a bad day and I give players the benefit of the doubt usually but with Zvonareva it just happens too often. Not to mention she only has 1 big title at the age of 26.

Then we have Wozniacki who I'm a fan of, but this year she only reached a slam semi and won her 1st big title in addition to some smaller titles. She's had a couple periods of nice consistency, but it wouldn't look great for someone to reach #1 without reaching a slam final in that same year...on the other hand she has a nice personality and could very well turn out to be a multi-slam in the future :shrug:

I guess I prefer Wozniacki, but really I'm hoping Serena holds on to her ranking, or somehow Venus becomes #1 again :lol: :sobbing:

MB.
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I like Vera better, but Caro deserves it more this year.

Caralenko
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Yes. 1500-730 = 770 + 920 = 1690 + 5795 = 7485.

Get it gurl.

Chakvenus
Sep 29th, 2010, 03:13 AM
i really detest both as players, but i'd have to say i'd prefer Wozniacki at that the top.

zvonareva.....just no.

pav
Sep 29th, 2010, 03:44 AM
i really detest both as players, but i'd have to say i'd prefer Wozniacki at that the top.

zvonareva.....just no.
You detest both as players when either would give a lot in your sig a good thrashing 9 times out of 10,so what does that make them as players :confused:

simonsaystennis
Sep 29th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Caro without a doubt.

Nikkiri
Sep 29th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Wozniacki please.

KBlade
Sep 29th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Pushing like there was no tomorrow. :sobbing: Fucking wind.

But at the end of the day, Vera was the one who adjusted to the conditions better, pushing or not. She deserved to win.

Welcome1
Sep 29th, 2010, 03:58 AM
BePa or Caro? And no other choices? Then suicide

delicatecutter
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:03 AM
But at the end of the day, Vera was the one who adjusted to the conditions better, pushing or not. She deserved to win.

I never said she didn't. She plays better in the wind than practically everyone else. It was just a frustrating final as an Anci fan as she blew several SPs.

KBlade
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I never said she didn't. She plays better in the wind than practically everyone else. It was just a frustrating final as an Anci fan as she blew several SPs.

xP Poor Ana. A win there could've done wonders for her confidence, but unfortunately the wind troubled Ana's woeful ball toss. But Vera is the better defensive player, so the conditions really worked in he favor, plus she has the ability to come up with a good variety of niggling forehand and backhand slices.

pav
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:24 AM
All the disgust at either of these two getting to #1 (a big if anyway) but would either of them disgace the WTA like the present #1 by threatening violence and swearing at an innocent line judge:confused: just widen your views please.

Cakeisgood
Sep 29th, 2010, 05:25 AM
All the disgust at either of these two getting to #1 (a big if anyway) but would either of them disgace the WTA like the present #1 by threatening violence and swearing at an innocent line judge:confused: just widen your views please.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't even like Serena, but that's just stupid.

Jajaloo
Sep 29th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Karolina!!

The most interesting thing about Caro is finding out whether she's bothered to shave. :o

:haha:

tennis-insomniac
Sep 29th, 2010, 05:34 AM
oooo feeling much negativity in this thread, gotta go pray that none of this won't happen....

VIKA?
Sep 29th, 2010, 05:53 AM
karolina Wozniacki

brent-o
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Definitely Caro. She seems like she would be better able to withstand the pressure of it. Unlike Vera, who would sadly make Safina look like the mentally toughest number 1 ever.

Chakvenus
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:38 AM
You detest both as players when either would give a lot in your sig a good thrashing 9 times out of 10,so what does that make them as players :confused:

that's not my point.
i don't like either of their STYLES of play, so for ME i wouldn't like to see either at the top.

homogenius
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Which is worse: a player reaching number 1 only reaching a slam final in the year or a number 1 player with 2 slams final + MM event?

Caro is the better player though, and she deserves more to be number 1 right now

But rankings have lost their meaning long ago

NO

Martian Jeza
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Wozniacki please.

Since when are you a fan of Caroline ? Trying to be fake again ? :rolleyes:

Caralenko
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Since when are you a fan of Caroline ? Trying to be fake again ? :rolleyes:

Shouldn't you be off warning people that the sky is falling?

Martian Jeza
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Shouldn't you be off warning people that the sky is falling?

I just don't like fake people ! I'm sorry for being honest there ! Your great Kiristea never has been a fan of Caroline and never will !

Loungy
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Ideally they'd both tank everything from now until the end of the season to spare themselves the headache, but there must be huge bonus $$ for getting the #1. (Keeping Sergey must be expensive :hearts: )

Vera. We've plateaued with around 5 Caro hating threads/day, no need to go to 20/day for a few weeks (or months).

Cp6uja
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:31 AM
According to latest news about Serena, Venus and Clijsters (and Jankovic shape), this two will be BOTH at WTA#1 till end of year (or at least till March 2011), so thread title (and poll question) should to be:

If you HAD to choose, who would you prefer NOT to be #1: Bepa or Caro?

:shrug:

MaBaker
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:32 AM

edificio
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Okay, I read this thread as who would you prefer to be: Bepa or Caro? I was trying to figure out how anyone could decide this vital question. But now, after reading the thread backwards, I see. Whatever happens happens. Woz will be no. 1 someday, I feel sure. As for Vera, this might be her best chance, so...I guess in my fantasy preference I'd give the status to Vera.

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Zvonareva for sure.At this time of the year when she recently reached 2 slam finals beating Wozniacki on route to one of them she definitely deserves the number 1 spot ahead of Wozniacki!

Njalle
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:54 AM
It's too bad the Tour can't be marketed on talent and tennis ability. Wozniacki is hardly a crowd favorite because the crowd is bored to tears by her play. I don't see how she could be good for the WTA because ostensibly, people want to come and watch good tennis.

It really doesn't matter anyway becase neither one will be No. 1 for very long in either case.

lol riiiiiight. I don't even know why I am answering to this, because I know you're a troll. But anyways, maybe you should take a look at her past 4-5 tournies and say that again. Fact is that Caro would attract more spectators than maybe 95 % of the top 100.

Elisse
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Vera

DownInAHole
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:47 AM

Aww, that's just being mean. Funny, but still mean.

ce
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:52 AM
we have come to this :help:

Matt01
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:00 AM

All with no game

:lol: She's really amazing :hearts:

Of course I would prefer Caro to reach #1 :worship:

DownInAHole
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Unlike a lot of folks I would have no problem with either of these players getting to number one. The ranking system is what it is and according to it these two are near the top. I'm a bigger fan of Wozniacki but I like Vera too and voted for her. However, after reading this thread I would change my vote if I could. I don't think it would be good for the game to have the number one player break down and sob because she is playing bad. I don't mean that as a shot against Vera, I quite like her and was pulling for her to beat Kim, but the number one player should conduct themselves in the proper manner and I think that Caroline would do that better than Vera.

Sharpie4me
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:15 AM
None of them should be number 1 to be honest.
But since Bepa is a better player so I'll go with her :)

TennisFan66
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I would prefer the one who has the most WTA ranking points .. be that Caro, Bepa, Serena or anyone else.

Its not a popularity contest.

Human Nature
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Vera was lucky to reach those 2 slams finals her only big win was against Kim at Wimbly
her draws were cakewalks and she is already 26

Wosniaki wins big at 19 and is very regular
she deserves much more the first spot

Pops Maellard
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Playing some of the most worthless tennis out there. :worship:

The woman in your avatar once said that tennis is 90% mental, right? Caro has that part down. Vera has all the strokes but between the ears needs a lot of work.

JJ Expres
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:01 AM
i don't like caro at all but i voted for her cause we don't need another random number 1 like vera(we already have safina,ana and jelena). wozniacki is going to be on top sooner or later...

DownInAHole
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:09 AM
i don't like caro at all but i voted for her cause we don't need another random number 1 like vera(we already have safina,ana and jelena). wozniacki is going to be on top sooner or later...

Jankovic is 4-0 against Wozniacki. I'm guessing you like seeing Wozniacki's name in draws as a potential match for JJ.

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
People who think fans dont like watching Caro should look at the end of her USO match with Sharapova.

23,000+, go watch the tape and find an empty seat, and the crowd cheering and applauding at the end.

That was a R of 16

TennisFan66
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:51 AM
People who think fans dont like watching Caro should look at the end of her USO match with Sharapova.

23,000+, go watch the tape and find an empty seat, and the crowd cheering and applauding at the end.

That was a R of 16

or they could go watch any of Caro's matches from NH ... and wonder why they have the giant karaoke event with thousands of people singing 'Sweet Caroline' ..

Then again its completely pointless to bring up anything actually tangible. These trolls will continue with their 'why is she not popular in ..blah blah' nonsense.

Reptilia
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Vera's tennis Career would implode in seconds if she ever got to be number 1.

Bismarck.
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:58 AM
The woman in your avatar once said that tennis is 90% mental, right? Caro has that part down. Vera has all the strokes but between the ears needs a lot of work.

:haha: Dude, she really doesn't. Anybody who thinks that Vera has everything needs to watch her matches: she barely even has the basics.

Nikkiri
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I just don't like fake people ! I'm sorry for being honest there ! Your great Kiristea never has been a fan of Caroline and never will !

Wrong.

An apology would be nice. :)

Mistress of Evil
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Wozniacki might be a tournament-whore. But she has two Premier titles plus 2 MM to Vera's 1 MM. Moreover, Wozniacki will win GS titles(eventually), Vera not really. So my vote goes to La Woz.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM
One doesnt have even a GS final while the other doesnt even have a decent title this year :sobbing: I love Vera but just NO.

Pops Maellard
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
One doesnt have even a GS final while the other doesnt even have a title this year :sobbing: I love Vera but just NO.

Vera won Pattaya City. :p

olivero
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Caro.

Bepa as a #1 would be a disaster. She's a very good player but nothig spectacular. She had some really nice draws in the last two slams and that's how she got that high in the ranks.

As much I dislike Caro's game she's an incredible fighter and her defence (and fitness) is just remarkable. She's still young and I think she will win a GS eventually which would look good for a #1 rank. We don't need another slamless #1.

Wolkenvanger
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Vera.

It took her a while to overcome her mental problems with winning a big title, it took her a while to reach the latter stages of a Grand Slam... but in the end she did manage. I believe she'll win a Grand Slam one day and I would not have any problems with her being No. 1. She has the talent. :)

Wozniacki will get there too, but I don't believe she is ready yet. For sure she is a great player who can string her wins together, but she's still short of "the great ones" like Serena and Justine. That'll come, though.

Brengle_Nation
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Bepa edges it on slam finals appearances.

laurie
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Well, instinctively I would have said Vera because I like her game and her tactic of coming forward to net from time to time and the ability to hit aces even though she doesn't serve big.

But after the US Open final, I was left very annoyed with her again. Its ridicolous to crack up like that in a Grand Slam final with the whole world watching. I know we are all human but she's a professional and she should be able to handle a big ocassion much better than that, especially considering it was her 2nd slam final in 2 months and she's a mature player. I stayed up until 2am to watch what amounted to absolute rubbish.

So on that it may be slightly better if Wozniacki is ranked number 1 as she's won a few titles including the Canadian Open (or whatever its called these days....)

I will qualify that statement by saying that I profoundly dislike Wozniacki's game.

What an interesting sceario this WTA Top 10 is the last 24 months. Although the new American WTA Chief Executive keeps telling us its the best its ever been :tape:

eDonkey
Sep 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Vera was lucky to reach those 2 slams finals her only big win was against Kim at Wimbly
her draws were cakewalks and she is already 26

Wosniaki wins big at 19 and is very regular
she deserves much more the first spot

:spit:
I suppose then a win over Wozniacki was nothing big as Wozniacki can hardly be called a tennis player. :worship:

I think none of them deserves the no.1 spot as none of them was domineering on women's tour this year.Measuring their titles won't lead us to anywhere...and we shall praise Caravane then with her Mutua Madrilena trophy.:help:

Wozniacki beating Russian UE machines?Give me a break! :spit:
It's true that you play as well as the opponent would let you.But she must be the exception to the rule!

Vote for Vera :)

KournikovaFan91
Sep 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Caro would handle the pressure much better than Vera.

I don't care that Vera made two slam finals as a slamless number one she would be awful for the tour.

Lulu.
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Definitely Vera.

DragonFlame
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Caro easily, zvonareva just isnt good enough to ever get there. Besides that she's ancient in tennis years and caro is the future.

Lucemferre
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I can't imagine zvonareva as no1 :help: Two major finals would justify it a little bit but still Vera freaking zvonareva world no1? :tape:

babsi
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:21 PM
If Bepa got it with just Pattaya as a tournament win then it would be a total joke and make the WTA look even more stupid. I thought Jankovic with Rome as her only tournament win was bad enough. When Kim was slamless No.1 that was the first new low, but guess what that is normal now and that is pretty sad. I guess all the MM's queens can see a chance now.

Vartan
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:25 PM
If Bepa got it with just Pattaya as a tournament win then it would be a total joke and make the WTA look even more stupid. I thought Jankovic with Rome as her only tournament win was bad enough. When Kim was slamless No.1 that was the first new low, but guess what that is normal now and that is pretty sad. I guess all the MM's queens can see a chance now.

2 slam finals = 2 Premier Mandatories + 2 Premier titles in terms of points though.

mariavikafan
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I can't imagine zvonareva as no1 :help: Two major finals would justify it a little bit but still Vera freaking zvonareva world no1? :tape:

Same thing goes for Wozniacki wtf? seriously.
They both sucks and don't deserve to be N1, they need a slam first.

AcesHigh
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:27 PM
God it would be AWFUL if Vera got there. Her one title is Pattaya :help:
Plus she'll never win anything big. At least with Caro, it's a question of "when" not "if".

LUVMIRZA
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM
neither:tape:

Lucemferre
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Same thing goes for Wozniacki wtf? seriously.
They both sucks and don't deserve to be N1, they need a slam first.

Wozniacki is no2. She has been ranked very high for a long time.It would still be bad but at least she is somewhat mentally tough and young.

Drake1980
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Can Bepa be number one soon or something? :eek:

Vartan
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Can Bepa be number one soon or something? :eek:

At the end of the season, :cheer:, she is 2nd in the race.

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 29th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I would like Vera to become no.1 purely out of curiosity. Also, I hope she does well at all tournaments but never wins a big one while she is no. 1, so the chaos only intensifies. She behaved badly during the USO final, won an international event, flopped in all the big finals... it'd be a fun time in the forums and pressrooms.

Besides, I cannot say she will win a Slam at this point for sure. Definitely not with Serena, Venus, Justine and Kim still around, the ever-present threat of a meltdown and she's 26 already, so she doesn't have the buffer Caro does in terms of the eventual retirements of those 4.

Gdsimmons
Sep 29th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Neither one deserves to be there. And I hope that neither of them get there. However Vera has made 2 back to back slam finals. She got her ass kicked but she still made it there. Caroline has only been as far as the SF ONCE in a major.

tim2502
Sep 29th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Such an easy question.
Bepa for sure.

Bismarck.
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Oh my God. Is it possible for these two be seeded numbers one and two for the AO?

:haha:

Sergius
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Caro for sure. Vera is not mentally strong so I think her becoming world number one with no slam would be not pleasant to watch. I mean she'd be bashing for not-winning a slam and would get nervous trying to prove she's a top-player, and there wouldn't be anything good with it.
OTOH Caro seems to not give a shit to the rankings, she used to say it was a Slam win that matters to her the most, so if she becomes #1 it will be more entertaining

terjw
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I would prefer the one who has the most WTA ranking points .. be that Caro, Bepa, Serena or anyone else.

Its not a popularity contest.

Exactly.

One thing I would like if it came down to between these two though is if they ended up playing each other and the winner became #1. I always like it better when the #1 spot is gained with a win rather than with fewer ranking points dropping off.

$uricate
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Oh, my vote made it a dead tie :drool:

mariavikafan
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Not anymore.:p

$uricate
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Its ok though.

You voted for Vera ;)

Beat
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM
it's 87 to 87 right now :eek:

PLP
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM
It's hard to believe Vera could be #1 with only 1 small title this year. :tape:
(I know she made two slam finals, but she was awful)

Caro has 4 titles this year, including Montreal. In general, I think she would be a stronger #1, and the ranking would give her confidence going into next year, I think it would mess with Vera more than help her.
I hope Caroline gets it, but only if she wins at least 1 if not 2 more titles this year.
Of course if Serena comes back, in form, I imagine she will be year end #1, and deservedly so.

Vincey!
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:44 PM
To me Caro has been more consistent so I think she'd deserve it more than Vera. Vera has 2 GS finals, but beside that she didn't do much. She only has one small title in Pattaya at the beginning of the year :o

$uricate
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:45 PM
OTOH Caro seems to not give a shit to the rankings, she used to say it was a Slam win that matters to her the most

Well hopefully she becomes number 1 and doesn't win a slam then.

That would amuse me greatly :devil: :p

It's hard to believe Vera could be #1 with only 1 small title this year. :tape:

Don't diss the mighty Pattaya :drool:

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Oh my God. Is it possible for these two be seeded numbers one and two for the AO?

:haha:They could be 1 & 3, in the same half, while Serena, Kim, Justine, Venus, etc are in the same half

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM
They could be 1 & 3, in the same half, while Serena, Kim, Justine, Venus, etc are in the same half

Sigh... like the good old times...

Throw Sharpie into Caro's and Bepa's half, and watch her crash and burn as always with the cushier draw.

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Its hard to judge what a tough half is anymore.
Kim lost to Nadia 0 & 1. Venus lost to Li.
I'm not sure after Serena, who is the 2nd favorite in Melbourne.

Break My Rapture
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I am laughing so hard at the Wozniacki fans who think Caroline is a crowd magnet. Delusional.

Monzanator
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Zvonareva has 1/5 winning record this year in finals (won Pattaya. lost Charleston, Wimbledon, Montreal, USO), allthough it's impressive for the so-called perennial underachiever, it's no contest for deserving SEWTA #1. Wozniacki has time on her side and I have little doubt she'll become the next new Slam winner apart from the eventual RG clay expert (I've given up hopes on Azarenka and Radwanska succeeding Woz to that challenge already).

Human Nature
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I suppose then a win over Wozniacki was nothing big as Wozniacki can hardly be called a tennis player. :worship:

I think none of them deserves the no.1 spot as none of them was domineering on women's tour this year.Measuring their titles won't lead us to anywhere...and we shall praise Caravane then with her Mutua Madrilena trophy.:help:

Wozniacki beating Russian UE machines?Give me a break! :spit:
It's true that you play as well as the opponent would let you.But she must be the exception to the rule!

Vote for Vera :)

Like it or not Wosniaki has impressed everybody throughout the summer and above all at the USOPEN
YES she lost to Vera but i would say it was only a "bad" day and her lack of experience because its not like she cant beat Vera handily like she did the week before in Monreal

I dont know what has been happening the last months with all the players beyong "25" suddenly making GS finals ( Except Schiavone who has never been able to fully show her potential she is very talented )when they couldnt even past the 3rd round most of time over the last years

We all know Svonareva's game she has troubles with big hitters her game mentality and resistance to pressure dont suit at all to the 1st spot even her being top 5 is a joke
The only thing she has above Wosniaki is that her game is " good" to watch nothing else

Wosniaki is the futur she is fresh young fearless impressive mentaly strong and the results with this

pav
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Like it or not Wosniaki has impressed everybody throughout the summer and above all at the USOPEN
YES she lost to Vera but i would say it was only a "bad" day and her lack of experience because its not like she cant beat Vera handily like she did the week before in Monreal

I dont know what has been happening the last months with all the players beyong "25" suddenly making GS finals ( Except Schiavone who has never been able to fully show her potential she is very talented )when they couldnt even past the 3rd round most of time over the last years

We all know Svonareva's game she has troubles with big hitters her game mentality and resistance to pressure dont suit at all to the 1st spot even her being top 5 is a joke
The only thing she has above Wosniaki is that her game is " good" to watch nothing else

Wosniaki is the futur she is fresh young fearless impressive mentaly strong and the results with this
Hell, you spout some biased rubbish!

Martian Jeza
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Zvonareva has 1/5 winning record this year in finals (won Pattaya. lost Charleston, Wimbledon, Montreal, USO), allthough it's impressive for the so-called perennial underachiever, it's no contest for deserving SEWTA #1. Wozniacki has time on her side and I have little doubt she'll become the next new Slam winner apart from the eventual RG clay expert (I've given up hopes on Azarenka and Radwanska succeeding Woz to that challenge already).

Clay is her worst surface.

Njalle
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I am laughing so hard at the Wozniacki fans who think Caroline is a crowd magnet. Delusional.
>Implying there are any crowd magnets in the WTA bar Sharapova and WS.

cn ireland
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Caro:)!!

I just can't imagine Vera as #1!

homogenius
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:38 PM

What was so impressive in what she achieved ? :confused:
And the "she had a bad day at the uso..." :rolleyes: In other words : she had a cakewalk and still failed.

DownInAHole
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:41 PM
And the "she had a bad day at the uso..." :rolleyes: In other words : she had a cakewalk and still failed.

Between Wimbledon and the US Open Wozniacki was the best player. She did win three tournaments during that time.

Wiggly
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Zvonareva.

She's smart and she's more articulate than Caroline.
Plus, that might be good for the WTA to market something else than the "hot" blonde for once.

silvamarius
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
49,49%-51,51% :o

homogenius
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Between Wimbledon and the US Open Wozniacki was the best player. She did win three tournaments during that time.

I know.She won Copenhagen (:taped:), Montreal and New Haven beating only one top10 player (Franny)in the process.It's good but I wouldn't say she "impressed everybody" with that (especially when you look at the end of the story : the USO).

Matt01
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM

Yeah, because meeting Sharapova in the 4th round is a cakewalk draw.

And winning 3 out of 4 tournaments between Wimbledon and USO was definately impressive.

homogenius
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah, because meeting Sharapova in the 4th round is a cakewalk draw.

And winning 3 out of 4 tournaments between Wimbledon and USO was definately impressive.

I dunno, maybe we should ask to Kimiko ? :)

Matt01
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I dunno, maybe we should ask to Kimiko ? :)

Woz took her apart at USO and Kimiko benefitted from it at her next tournament ;)

Don't tell me that beating Pova in a Slam is easy, you should know better than that.

terjw
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I know.She won Copenhagen (:taped:), Montreal and New Haven beating only one top10 player (Franny)in the process.It's good but I wouldn't say she "impressed everybody" with that (especially when you look at the end of the story : the USO).

Serena won AO and Wimbledon beating only one top 10 player. So according to your logic of excluding cakewalk draws - we should exclude Serena's slams this year.

Matt01
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Serena won AO and Wimbledon beating only one top 10 player. So according to your logic of excluding cakewalk draws - we should exclude Serena's slams this year.

True :lol:

You only can beat the players who are in front of you, when will people ever learn that :shrug:

Of course it's another question if you are impressived by her wins...some people will never be impressed by Woz no matter how many tournaments she will win...

homogenius
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM

I didn't say we should exclude anything.Just that MJ post was over the top : Wozniacki had a good summer when you look closely at it it wasn't THAT impressive IMHO.(and I taked about cakewalk draw at the USO.the difference whith Serena is that she did win those slams.Wozniacki had a golden opportunity at the USO and she just failed :shrug:)

Gdsimmons
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I didn't say we should exclude anything.Just that MJ post was over the top : Wozniacki had a good summer when you look closely at it it wasn't THAT impressive IMHO.(and I taked about cakewalk draw at the USO.the difference whith Serena is that she did win those slams.Wozniacki had a golden opportunity at the USO and she just failed :shrug:)

I can definitely see where you are coming from. And I agree

thrust
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Caro!

homogenius
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Woz took her apart at USO and Kimiko benefitted from it at her next tournament ;)

Don't tell me that beating Pova in a Slam is easy, you should know better than that.

Caro's draw was really nice : her main opponents to reach the final were Maria and Vera.Considering that Maria can't beat top players these days (in slam or not)and that Caro supposedly owns Vera, I'd say she underperformed.After all she was the #1 seed and in pretty good form.No excuse.

Matt01
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Caro's draw was really nice : her main opponents to reach the final were Maria and Vera.Considering that Maria can't beat top players these days (in slam or not)and that Caro supposedly owns Vera, I'd say she underperformed.After all she was the #1 seed and in pretty good form.No excuse.

It was windy :shrug: ;)

I'm the first one to admit her loss to Vera was a disapointment :wavey:
But that doesn't make her other tournament wins (especially Canada) less impressive.

Vikapower
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM

Well obviously Maria playing weak arsed tennis in a slam is a cakewalk draw. :draw: Maria has been like 15-20% in slams since her comeback and this has resulted to weird losses to the scrubs... watching Maria's 4-5 last slams record is already an indication of how easy one can beat Maria in slams these days... I'd prefer neither as #1 but if I really had to chose Vera would be it.

:spit: Ok just that phrase has discredited you as a poster... Hellloo... didn't Caro like made the final last year ? :lol: The girl has all the experience she needs, epical fail, just Vera was/is too strong for Caro when the Russian is focused and not head casing... I remember just one match back in Charleston where Caro was getting bullied around the court... As for the rest of your post I'll just laugh in peace because you're completely :cuckoo:

terjw
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:49 PM

Well Caro did get 3 wins straight after Wimbledon and won the US series (plus USO SF) but you bring up the red herring of only one top 10 win. But with Serena's win at Wimbledon with no top 10 wins and it's - well she did win. Double standards.

So by your own logic diminishing the achievements of players depending on who they play - Serena's wins at the slams - particularly Wimbledon where she beat no top 10 player - are good but not impressive.

Gdsimmons
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Well Caro did get 3 wins straight after Wimbledon and won the US series (plus USO SF) but you bring up the red herring of only one top 10 win. But with Serena's win at Wimbledon with no top 10 wins and it's - well she did win. Double standards.

So by your own logic diminishing the achievements of players depending on who they play - Serena's wins at the slams - particularly Wimbledon where she beat no top 10 player - are good but not impressive.

Why bring Serena into this argument?? The thread is about Caroline and Vera

Human Nature
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Well serena has nothing to prove anymore in this field
Its not like 2010 was the first time she has won a GS

But i agree with you for Wosniaki

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Why bring Serena into this argument?? The thread is about Caroline and Vera
Some nut was saying that beating Sharapova, Dementieva, Zvonareva and Kuznetsova doesnt mean anything because in that moment they werent top 10.
So the argument is that its easy to devalue anyone's titles if all that matters is beating current top 10.

homogenius
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:25 PM

The only thing different from the past is that she finally won a big event (Montreal, beating only one top10, sorry but that's just a fact)and she went further at the USO in 2009 than this year.I don't see why anyone would be more impressed by her now that in the last year, that's all.I'll see a difference when she'll start to beat an inform Serena, venus, JJ, Kim etc...or when she'll win big titles ona consistent basis.

as for Serena : I found her win at Wimbledon far less impressive than Franny's one at the FO for example.

Some nut was saying that beating Sharapova, Dementieva, Zvonareva and Kuznetsova doesnt mean anything because in that moment they werent top 10.
So the argument is that its easy to devalue anyone's titles if all that matters is beating current top 10.

I didn't say it means nothing (so stop putting words in my mouth goldentroll)but I answered to a post stating that it was mighty impressive.You said yourself many times that maria is no more than a dangerous floater these days, Lena was coming back from inury, Sexlana well... no comment :sad:.Impressive wins ? Not that much

Pops Maellard
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:27 PM
:haha: Dude, she really doesn't. Anybody who thinks that Vera has everything needs to watch her matches: she barely even has the basics.

OK I didn't mean her game was perfect or anything but it's a 'bigger' game than Wozniacki's. But I can't choose her over Wozniacki because she's a complete flake. :tape:

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:30 PM
....You said yourself many times that maria is no more than a dangerous floater these days, Lena was coming back from inury, Sexlana well... no comment :sad:.Impressive wins ? Not that muchDont put words in my mouth. Where did I call Sharapova no more than a dangerous floater? I thought Sharapova would make the final if she beat Caro, & thought Lena played very well in New Haven and New York.

homogenius
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Dont put words in my mouth. Where did I call Sharapova no more than a dangerous floater? I thought Sharapova would make the final if she beat Caro, & thought Lena played very well in New Haven and New York.

"madmax is a nut, trying to pretend Maria was great in NY, which is nonsense" :
from you in the Date's win thread (just one of some others in which you also said that she was lucky Groth's level dropped in the first round)).And after Maria lost in NY you clearly said she hasn't been a top player for the past 1,5 year but more like a dangerous floater like Nadia.:wavey:

goldenlox
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I thought Sharapova played well in the summer and was a top 5 contender going in. I said that in the early USO threads.
When I saw the draw, I thought if she beat Caro she would make the final.
I wasnt sure if Caro would make the final. Because I think until you win a major, you have to prove you can win those matches, and she only beat Wickmayer last year, and Vera is a lot better

I said Maria played really well most of the Bartoli match in Cincy and played her best tennis since the injury from the Serena match on. But that doesnt guarantee a win over Caro who was in good form.

I never said she has the same chance to win a major as Nadia. I think Nadia has almost 0 chance to win 1

Khelvors
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:51 PM
vera's in the lead :angel:

homogenius
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I thought Sharapova played well in the summer and was a top 5 contender going in. I said that in the early USO threads.
When I saw the draw, I thought if she beat Caro she would make the final.
I wasnt sure if Caro would make the final. Because I think until you win a major, you have to prove you can win those matches, and she only beat Wickmayer last year, and Vera is a lot better

I said Maria played really well most of the Bartoli match in Cincy and played her best tennis since the injury from the Serena match on. But that doesnt guarantee a win over Caro who was in good form.

I never said she has the same chance to win a major as Nadia. I think Nadia has almost 0 chance to win 1

You change your mind way too often to be credible, that's your problem :lol:
Fact is : Sharapova is not a top player atm, and has shown no result over the past year that would prove the opposite.She showed some promising signs at times but at the end, all she managed to do was to win couple of MM.

Anyway, back to the topic : Wozniacki earned her points and will be n°1 at one point, but she still has a lot to prove imo.

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Everyone changes their opinion when players change form.
I once thought Maria could win 10+ majors.

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:20 AM

:haha: But thing is Serena already has proven she CAN beat top 10 players to win her majors, sooo...I don't get the comparison.

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:23 AM
It's just odd and funny that Vera has two F's at the majors this year, yet Caro only managed one SF.

So Caro didn't improve on last year.

pav
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:26 AM
It is stupid, thick headed statements like this that make me desert this thread,christ they say sheep have no brains:fiery:

Vikapower
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Everyone changes their opinion when players change form.
I once thought Maria could win 10+ majors.
And it's still possible... furthermore she will. :wavey:

:haha: But thing is Serena already has proven she CAN beat top 10 players to win her majors, sooo...I don't get the comparison.

Vera sure does have what it needs to beat Caro fair and square... as for the basics I wonder what you're talking about the basics I could name on the tip of my finger 5-6 top 20 players who has worst technique than Vera and Caro is one.

bandabou
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:48 AM
What, Vika? Serema got 13 majors..u really wanna compare her winning a major with a Caro or Vera who still haven't?

Vartan
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Ajde, Vera! :cheer:

ANz
Sep 30th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Vera Zvonareva reaching number one in rating and/or wining Grand Slam would be extremly beneficial for the game of tennis and for all women and girls in general. This will prove two major poins.

1. Avarage girl next door could reach such results provided she has a goal and she works hard. She does not has to be Schwarzenegger to do so. Just look at the picture where Vera stands next to Serena, Dementieva, Wozniacki, etc. You will see the difference. Vera's first coach Kruchkove was told that she should not waste her time with Vera because she does not has phisical conditions to be a successfull tennis player. Vera proved them wrong already.

2. This will prove that such a reasult could be achived without mum or dad pushing her/hith doughter to compete. Siriosly, do you ever see Vera's mother or dad? It is not like Richard Williams or Yuriy Sharapov or Peter Wozniacki or Vera Dementieva. One must wonder if all these achivements are the achivements of their parents not children. But you cannot put this shade of dought on Vera Zvonareva. Everything she achived she achived herself.

This is a good insparation for young girls.

Sure some estets but mostly haters from tennisforum.com will be hugely disapointed. But this is very small price to pay for the advantages I have outlined above.

Bismarck.
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM
It is stupid, thick headed statements like this that make me desert this thread,christ they say sheep have no brains:fiery:

Rewatch the USO and Wimbledon finals (if you can actually bear it) to see Vera prove my point.

SymphonyX
Sep 30th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Vera. Because I don't like everything about Caroline. Her game, her big-ass forehead, the way she speaks, etc.

DownInAHole
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Vera. Because I don't like everything about Caroline. Her game, her big-ass forehead, the way she speaks, etc.

Those are both very legitimate reasons for her not to be number one. I say we take it a step further. Let's run all big-ass foreheaded players who speak in ways we don't like out of the game!

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Bepa's 2 Slam Finals and a WTA championships Final > Caro's 1 Slam Final

Martian Jeza
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Bepa's 2 Slam Finals and a WTA championships Final > Caro's 1 Slam Final

20 years old > 26 years old ! Comparing apples and pears !

But don't get me wrong, I like both but I prefer Caroline.

rockstar
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM
i cant believe people actually voted vera, she's so forgettable (proven by another poll on whose abscence you wouldn't notice)

Sharpie4me
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:31 AM
i cant believe people actually voted vera, she's so forgettable (proven by another poll on whose abscence you wouldn't notice)

that will change if she gets to number 1 :)

Renalicious
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Caroline :cuckoo:

Bepa would be horrendous.

rockstar
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:47 AM
that will change if she gets to number 1 :)

nope she's probably be the most forgettable number 1, casual followers probably still wont know who she is.

Pops Maellard
Sep 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Caro's definitely the answer after watching this Tokyo quarterfinal so far. :spit:

Andrewraven
Sep 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Caroline definitely, even with bepa having made two slam finals

Patrick345
Sep 30th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Caro's definitely the answer after watching this Tokyo quarterfinal so far. :spit:

WTA seems to agree, un-screwing the headcase with some well-timed footfault calls. :lol:

Daniel
Sep 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Vera

Human Nature
Sep 30th, 2010, 10:43 AM
:spit: Ok just that phrase has discredited you as a poster... Hellloo... didn't Caro like made the final last year ? :lol: The girl has all the experience she needs, epical fail, just Vera was/is too strong for Caro when the Russian is focused and not head casing... I remember just one match back in Charleston where Caro was getting bullied around the court... As for the rest of your post I'll just laugh in peace because you're completely :cuckoo:[/QUOTE]

Vikapower i guess you are being ironic (when is see your historic as a poster ) arent you :spit:

A single final at the age of 18 is " all the experience she needed " right thank you for your contribution

Mekoro
Oct 1st, 2010, 09:37 AM
Is Wozniacki looking a little like a young Nadal?

I mean, she has such good defensive abilities, getting a lot of ball back and rarely being in position to let her opponent hit a winner. She is also so patient in the rallies, using more topspin than the average to control her opponent and to try to move her to find an opening and she will only use his offensive skills when she has found that opening. She is making few errors and get totally into the opponent who feels trapped and powerless.

The big difference I see is that Nadal always was the best and by far on clay where it seems that Wozniacki best surface is hardcourt and she does not seem to perform well on clay.

Pops Maellard
Oct 1st, 2010, 09:39 AM

I mean, she has such good defensive abilities, getting a lot of ball back and rarely being in position to let her opponent hit a winner. She is also so patient in the rallies, using more topspin than the average to control her opponent and to try to move her to find an opening and she will only use his offensive skills when she has found that opening. She is making few errors and get totally into the opponent who feels trapped and powerless.

The big difference I see is that Nadal always was the best and by far on clay where it seems that Wozniacki best surface is hardcourt and she does not seem to perform well on clay.

lol no, Caro's ground game is more like Roddick. Lots of spin but not much power.

Nadal puts huge force behind his shots.

DownInAHole
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:02 AM

Any ambitious photoshoppers out there? How about a pic of Caro with Nadal's arms?

Mekoro
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:04 AM
lol no, Caro's ground game is more like Roddick. Lots of spin but not much power.

Nadal puts huge force behind his shots.

Obviously Nadal is stronger and is way more powerful with his forehand, he is more powerful than most men and Caro is a women.... But I was comparing their style of play, Roddick is a all serve player, with poor defense , a poor backhand and no tactical play compared to Wozniacki.

That's why I found that Wozniacki looked a little like the Nadal of 2005 (not the current one who is a much more complete player and is using his scary offensives weapons) and I was wondering if she could evolve in the same direction he did.

Shvedbarilescu
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
If I could choose between these two Vera would be number one. But if I had the power to choose the rankings there would be huge changes whereever you look and it is probably very much for the best that I can not choose.