PDA

View Full Version : Magdalena Maleeva def. (No820) Desislava Mladenova 16 76(3) 64

sesilfan
Sep 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM
She is competing in tne Bulgarian national singles championchips.In the first round she defeated No 1014 Nikol Hristova in a tough 3 setter.
She said after the match she was tiered and if she is to play a competition she needs to be a lot fitter.

Kworb
Sep 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Pretty cool that she is playing... Kimiko will bring back all of the 90s :inlove:

I saw Graf in a Rexona commercial the other day, let's get her back on the court as well.

hurricanejeanne
Sep 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Maggie! :eek: :D

JackFrost
Sep 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
But I want Manuela. :(

MisterMan
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Come on now, Manuela is probably a grandma lol

ce
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM
:eek:
wow

sammy01
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:21 PM
didn't know she was still intrested in playing tennis.

*Jool*
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Maggie :hearts:

petkoan
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM
she is the quarters of the national tourney in bulgaria. amazing!!

Adrian.
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM
who is she? :D

Melange
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM
She was like a Bulgarian Domachowska, but better

cellophane
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:49 PM

Former top 10 player and part of the Bulgarian trio of Maleeva sisters (all sisters reached top 10)... She didn't retire that long ago... was it 2003? 2004? Her last big title was at KRemlin Cup beating Lindsay Davenport in '02

Adrian.
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:50 PM

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

Former top 10 player and part of the Bulgarian trio of Maleeva sisters (all reached top 10)... She didn't retire that long ago... was it 2003? 2004? Her last big title was at KRemlin Cup beating Lindsay Davenport in '02

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Wow, not bad :yeah:

Michael!
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:50 PM

:spit:

Adrian.
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
:spit:

I'm not as old as you :rolleyes:

LCS
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:52 PM

Much, much better.

Michael!
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Maleeva was No.4 and retired only 5 years ago, you should know players like her as a tf member :angel:

Drake1980
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:54 PM
He means to say is that you are very very majorly dumb.

:eek::eek:

Adrian.
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:57 PM
He means to say is that you are very very majorly dumb.

who are you? :weirdo::spit::weirdo:

Maleeva was No.4 and retired only 5 years ago, you should know players like her as a tf member :angel:

5 years ago, I was not interested in tennis :shrug:

MLF
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:57 PM
But I want Manuela. :(

The original and the best ;)

Sammo
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
How cool

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Maggie :hearts: :yeah:

tennis-insomniac
Sep 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM
could not believe how she got to number four haven't reached even grand slam SF I think (WTA ranking :weirdo:), like the Tauziat case in 2000 no.3 seriously?, regardless of that IMO unfair ranking I heard she is a great player and I like the sound of maleeva's sisters, Manuela-Kat-Maggie, although I only live to know Maggie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvWRPmvjFQ&feature=related

scandic78
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
This makes me so happy to see Maggie competing again...I wonder if she is considering a comeback?

Yeah I love her style and persona - perhaps the happiest looking of the Maleeva trio? Although give me Katerina any day :) - I loved how miserable she looked on court, something endearing about it! Manuela and Katerina's deadpan, solemn looks would bore some of these youngsters into handing them the match today :lol:

TeamUla
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:10 PM
:spit: Adrian, how can you now know Maleeva sisters?! :sobbing: They are the history of tennis.

FORZA SARITA
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
adrian :rolls:

scandic78
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:18 PM
who are you? :weirdo::spit::weirdo:

5 years ago, I was not interested in tennis :shrug:

http://www.maleevaclub.com/en/sisters.html

Here they are Adrian - from left, Katerina, Manuela and Maggie Maleeva :cool:

Bulgaria
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I don't think Maggie considers any comeback, she is just having fun in those matches. She is playing the bulgarian national championship but let's say that the best bulgarian tennis players are not playing it as usual.

Some weeks ago when Boris Becker was in Bulgaria for a exhibition event they've played a doubles match together and Maggie was playing some very good tennis. I don't know do most of you know but Maggie has two children now and the last few years since she retired in 2005 she barely played any tennis. Now she said she does it 2-3 times a week and I think she misses it. She played in Wimbledon seniors this year too. Wish her luck. Tomorrow she plays her next match. :)

networthy
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:19 PM
What does "No 820" in the thread title refer to? :confused: Is that Maleeva's current national ranking?!?!?

Bulgaria
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM
What does "No 820" in the thread title refer to? :confused: Is that Maleeva's current national ranking?!?!?

No that is her opponent Desislava Mladenova's WTA ranking. :)

hankqq
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:36 PM
return of the carpet GOAT :eek: :worship: :cool:

crazillo
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM
My favourite player :hearts: I don't think we will see her compete on the tour again, she gave birth to two children since her retirement. But she seemed inspired by Kimiko when she upset Petrova in Sydney ;) Also, Maggie won the Bulgarian national championship in like 1989 when she was the youngest winner ever. Pretty cool to see her compete again so much later. :D

crazillo
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM
This makes me so happy to see Maggie competing again...I wonder if she is considering a comeback?

Yeah I love her style and persona - perhaps the happiest looking of the Maleeva trio? Although give me Katerina any day :) - I loved how miserable she looked on court, something endearing about it! Manuela and Katerina's deadpan, solemn looks would bore some of these youngsters into handing them the match today :lol:

ask her on facebook but i think the answer will be no ;)

QueenBee
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Maggie :hearts: one of my fave players ever. It would be amazing see her winning it!

peCNpqdwWf4

TTomek
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:50 PM
remember her match vs Hingis in Filderstadt, she played so well, she was the last player Hingis beat being number 1 in WTA ranking :awww:

come back Maggie!!! you are only 35!!!

VW_fan
Sep 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Maggie was a great player.. she has a couple of wins over Venus, Henin, Davenport, Mauresmo, etc ;)

Sammo
Sep 28th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I think that the only match I saw of Maggie was the highlights of her vs. Daniilidou in the 2004 Olympics

edificio
Sep 28th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Cannot believe that Maggie Maleeva entered a tournament. I always thought she retired too early, but if she has two kids now, I guess that was more important to her. Hopefully, she'll start a new family tradition with her kids, even if they are probably not Maleevas.

Tripp
Sep 28th, 2010, 11:35 PM
One of my favourite players ever :hearts: We really need to get a WTA Seniors Tour. I'm sure more than a couple of legends would be glad to compete in that sort of matches.

StephenUK
Sep 28th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Another little history lesson for young Adrian. Maggie Maleeva was the player Monica Seles was playing when she was stabbed. Now I hope you have heard about that???? :eek:

Maggie was one of my favourite players and I used to cheer her on whenever possible and go see her play when she was at Wimbledon or Eastbourne. She was the carpet GOAT - she won 5 carpet tier Is in 1994-5 and then there was 2002 Kremlin Cup when she beat Venus, Amelie and Lindsay en route to the title . She did so well to come back after that terrible back injury and get back into the top 20 after dropping out of the rankings. The biggest disappointment of her career was probably her GS record - she must have the record for losing in the last 16 of grand slams - 4 times in Australia, 4 times at Roland Garros, 4 times at Wimbledon and twice at the US Open where she made her only grand slam QF as far back as 1992 where she beat Martina Navratilova in the second round.

Does anyone remember that documentary about the WTA Tour made a few years ago which centred to a large extent round Maggie, which showed her appealing personality to great effect?:hearts::worship::angel:

Wannabeknowitall
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:00 AM

Wrong reply. Even if you are 18 you should know something about Maggie if you happened to watch tennis for half of your life.
There are plenty of people on this forum right now who are your age and follow Jelena Dokic religiously. :wavey:

croat123
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:21 AM
One of my favourite players ever :hearts: We really need to get a WTA Seniors Tour. I'm sure more than a couple of legends would be glad to compete in that sort of matches.
not to mention that it might be higher quality tennis than the main tour :o

Tripp
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:38 AM
not to mention that it might be higher quality tennis than the main tour :o

And it would probably attract bigger audiences. I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be empty seats if you had some of the golden-era players battling it out.

justineheninfan
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:41 AM
The biggest disappointment of her career was probably her GS record - she must have the record for losing in the last 16 of grand slams - 4 times in Australia, 4 times at Roland Garros, 4 times at Wimbledon and twice at the US Open where she made her only grand slam QF as far back as 1992 where she beat Martina Navratilova in the second round.

When you look at the people who she lost to at that stage though I doubt many of them were upsets. She was pretty much nearly always slated to lose in the round of 16 in draws. Mary Pierce has more round of 16 losses than her though- 16 in fact. Of course Mary has gone past that stage quite a few times too though.

Renalicious
Sep 29th, 2010, 03:01 AM
All the old players coming back. :hysteric:

Navratil
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I remember that Manuela played in the German Bundesliga when she was officially retired and did pretty well.

Adrian.
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Wrong reply. Even if you are 18 you should know something about Maggie if you happened to watch tennis for half of your life.
There are plenty of people on this forum right now who are your age and follow Jelena Dokic religiously. :wavey:

I follow tennis since 4-5 year's :p