PDA

View Full Version : Is Sharapova still playing because of her $$$ Nike deal ?

LightWarrior
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:08 AM
There were rumours a while ago about that. Now that she lost to a 40-year old one may wonder. I don't know what the deal says but it's probably about "as long as you're a professional tennis player". I mean even if she sinks to #100 she will still be marketable, a la Kournikova. Pathetic yes, but still bringing $$$ to her sponsor. Although I'm sure hat she has more pride than Kournikova and will retire until that happens. Unless she gets back to a good level which seems increasingly doubtful.

young_gunner913
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM
If you sure that Maria has more pride then to play just for her Nike deal, then why the fuck did you open this thread?

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I think she wants to play. She played Stanford and Cincy, and was injured in the final, so skipped Montreal

Maria can afford to walk away. I'm sure her agent could make arrangements with her sponsors.

Athletes with endorsements retire all the time.
There's nothing keeping her on the tour, except she wants to play.

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I think she wants to play. She played Stanford and Cincy, and was injured in the final, so skipped Montreal

Maria can afford to walk away. I'm sure her agent could make arrangements with her sponsors.

Athletes with endorsements retire all the time.
There's nothing keeping her on the tour, except she wants to play.
You always see the glass half full.
I command you for that.

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Why not? She's 23 and already a sure HoF player.
No one is forcing her to play. And, it is hard work to be a pro athlete. She wants to play.

Sp!ffy
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:20 AM
She has enough money to last her several lifetimes. She doesn't need that Nike deal.

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Why not? She's 23 and already a sure HoF player.
No one is forcing her to play. And, it is hard work to be a pro athlete. She wants to play.
As you say youself, being pro athlete is hard work.
There is family and personal pressure stemming from expectations from yourself , family and fans.

Normal, reasonable people can make irrational decision.

So no one may be forcing Maria to play, but will she continue palying for the right reasons?
...Or just keep palying for the wrong reasons

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:28 AM
She has enough money to last her several lifetimes. She doesn't need that Nike deal.
I don't think we know that.

Yes, Maria is smart and wise beyind her years.

But how many pro atheletes or entertainer have we seen lose it all due to unscrupulous business manager managers and bad financial advise.

So I would not make that blanket statement.

goldenlox
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I think Maria was better after she came back from the IW elbow injury.
It didnt show this week, but she was in 2 premier finals before the USO.

You have to believe, as an athlete, that you can improve. That's why you work so hard at it. To get to your best.

MB.
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Interesting prospect, but I don't think that's the case.

Maria's really a global sports--not just tennis--star, and highly marketable. Even without Nike, her other sponsorship deals will more than put money in the bank, and if she needed more beside that she could pick up other sponsers/deals with ease, so it' not like Nike is her only cash cow and savior. Girl has got options.

slamchamp
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Isn't she just 22?:lol: Gotta love these threads that come out everytime she loses.....NOT

Vincey!
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Lol it's so silly to even consider that Sharapova is playin only because of her Nilke deal, I mean hasn't she signed for 7 years with them? so she'd be playing over 5 years now ONLY to fullfill her contract with them? THat just doesn't make any senses.Sharapova has entered alot of tournment this year,she withdrew from some because of injuries. Of course after such a big scare because of an injury, every other injuries she'll have will be taken seriously. Because she WANTS to play again. If she just didn't care about tennis she'd play only the big events a bit like Serena is doing and wouldn't care about her results. Did you see how disapointed she was after her lost to Wozniacki at the open? lol tht's clearly not somoene who doesn't care about her game or tht is only playing because she's under coontract lol. As many people said, she has made and she's still making enough money even without tennis to live 10 more lifes lol

Volcana
Sep 28th, 2010, 04:45 AM
If I had won three slams, been ranked #1, and was still a top fifteen player, was 23 years old and had NO endorsement contracts, I'd keep playing unless my doctor advised against it.

goat
Sep 28th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Would anyone else like to see her retire and make a comeback in two years?

Jajaloo
Sep 28th, 2010, 05:45 AM
:lol: One loss and people are acting like her career is over. I'm pretty sure the 2011 Guangzhou International Women's Open, Internationaux de Strasbourg, Grand Prix SAR La Princesse Lalla Meryem, and Regions Morgan Keegan Championships aren't going to win themselves.

Sp!ffy
Sep 28th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Would anyone else like to see her retire and make a comeback in two years?

I'm a hardcore fan but I'd like to see this.

I don't wanna see Maria struggle like this. I wish she could just leave the scene for a little while and make a stellar comeback for a few years. I don't want Maria to be another Safina for the rest of her life.

darrinbaker00
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I'm a hardcore fan but I'd like to see this.

I don't wanna see Maria struggle like this. I wish she could just leave the scene for a little while and make a stellar comeback for a few years. I don't want Maria to be another Safina for the rest of her life.

You'll make a fine adult one day. :yeah: