PDA

View Full Version : examples of players strengths becoming stronger, or weaker!!?

Lilowannabe
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Thought about this alot and would be a good topic :)

Generally as players get older their games decline to some degree, and yet some players actually add to there game post their mid twenties!

Best example would be Serena's Serve and Venus' backhand!!
Serena's always had a great serve, but in the last two years its become without doubt the greatest serve of any woman EVER!! Its the most complete serve and basically won her the wimbledon title this year!
In comparison her sister Venus had argueably the best two handed backhand ive ever seen and yet these days can be a total mess :confused: shes lost alot of the fluidity and control on that side at times. I dont understand how you lose your strength tbh.

anyways, anymore example would love to here your thoughts?

tennisforadults
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Generally as players get older their games decline to some degree, and yet some players actually add to there game post their mid twenties!

Tennis has become an 'older' game in the last 10 years. Look at both men and women - the champions are well into their 20s. With better nutrition, training and injury management, players don't seem to decline between 18 and 25. In fact they frequently get a lot better.

So many examples: Giles Simon, Mardy Fish, Sam Stosur, Francesca Schiavone. Nadal is a much better player than when he first burst onto the scene as the King of Clay at 18.

Ater 25, it's harder to say, as injuries and motivation issues become more common. As long as a player stays healthy, they can keep the high level of play well into their late 20s e.g. Federer, both Williams.

Serena's always had a great serve, but in the last two years its become without doubt the greatest serve of any woman EVER!! Its the most complete serve and basically won her the wimbledon title this year!
In comparison her sister Venus had argueably the best two handed backhand ive ever seen and yet these days can be a total mess :confused: shes lost alot of the fluidity and control on that side at times. I dont understand how you lose your strength tbh.

I don't watch enough of Venus's games to comment. But losing 'fluidity and control' is not uncommon when you hit 30. On the other hand, strength and power can increase. Serving is dominated by older women i.e. Serena, Sam and Nadia. The teenagers are often too piss weak (especially 2nd serve).