PDA

View Full Version : If Kimiko can do it....

scandic78
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
...then who, in your opinion, could return from the 'Graf era and nudge top 50 and give the kids a run for their money?

More still, are there any rumours of some nineties players returning to tour? I'd love to see Maggie Maleeva or
MJ Fernandez give it a go :lick:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM
...then who, in your opinion, could return from the 'Graf era and nudge top 50 and give the kids a run for their money?

More still, are there any rumours of some nineties players returning to tour? I'd love to see Maggie Maleeva or
MJ Fernandez give it a go :lick:

No one. Absolutely no one. I have said this already so many times today I am almost blue in the face but just because Kimiko can do something unprecidented does not mean anyone else can.

Having said that I sure would enjoy seeing Natasha Zvereva playing doubles again but even here I would keep my expectations modest.

ChrisCologne
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Jennifer Capriati could all the way, Top10 that is.
Mary Pierce could go Top20.
Steffi Graf could go Top20 too but would never return.
Monica Seles could go Top20 too but would never return.
Iva Majoli could only go Top50 like Kimiko.
Same as Maggie Maleeva as the indoor events are so long gone.

For doubles, Hingis and Zvereva would be Top10 for sure, same as Sanchez or Sugiyama if competing.

Direwolf
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Asv

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Jennifer Capriati could all the way, Top10 that is.
Mary Pierce could go Top20.
Steffi Graf could go Top20 too but would never return.
Monica Seles could go Top20 too but would never return.
Iva Majoli could only go Top50 like Kimiko.
Same as Maggie Maleeva as the indoor events are so long gone.

For doubles, Hingis and Zvereva would be Top10 for sure, same as Sanchez or Sugiyama if competing.

I am sorry but you do not have a clue. :wavey:

Wannabeknowitall
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I would give the nudge to Amy Frazier.
The thing that seems to annoy a lot of these players today, is a player who somehow finds a way to have a high margin of error even on extremely flat groundstrokes.
I could see Amy finding herself back in the top 75 for a short period of time.

ptitnavet
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Kimiko beat Graf 62 63 just before her come back. I don't think Graf or others can return at such a level but I might be wrong. Kimiko is there because she is still really athletic for her age and thanks to her pleasure to play tennis.

AcesHigh
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Kimiko beat Graf 62 63 just before her come back. I don't think Graf or others can return at such a level but I might be wrong. Kimiko is there because she is still really athletic for her age and thanks to her pleasure to play tennis.

I'm sure Graf wasn't training either. She seems very content with a life away from tennis.

Noctis
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Kimiko work out everyday this other old legends probaly sit at retirement homes and drinking tea

Rui.
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
No one. Absolutely no one. I have said this already so many times today I am almost blue in the face but just because Kimiko can do something unprecidented does not mean anyone else can.

But how does it mean the others can't? :shrug: How can you be sure of it? :shrug:

Caipirinha Guy
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Kimiko work out everyday this other old legends probaly sit at retirement homes and drinking tea

And clap their hands for Kimiko
http://www.gazetakolobrzeska.pl/www/sanewder/images/filia51.jpg

ptitnavet
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I'm sure Graf wasn't training either. She seems very content with a life away from tennis.

Totally. I don't see why Graf (or others) should come back if she is completly happy in her actual life :shrug:

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM
But how does it mean the others can't? :shrug: How can you be sure of it? :shrug:

How can you be sure any of them could? I base my assumption that they could not because the aclaim and financial rewards from sponsors would make a return desirable enough that if any of these other 1990s players actually thought they could well at least a couple of others would try it. Take a player like Mary Pierce. Following her horrible knee injury it was well known that she intended to return to the game once fit. She did not. Why? Clearly because she knew she could no longer be competitive.

This is a wonderful sport and players for the most part don't call it quits until they no longer feel they are able do it anymore. How many 37 year olds can you name that have reached the top 100 in the last 20 years? I can think of just one. Martina Navratilova. And even she was done by the time she reached 40. If it is that tricky to achieve a top 50 at 37 then double that for 40. I honestly don't think we will see another 40 year old in the women's top 50 in my lifetime.

Gallofa
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I keep dreading that Hingis is going to announce her come-back any minute.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I would give the nudge to Amy Frazier.
The thing that seems to annoy a lot of these players today, is a player who somehow finds a way to have a high margin of error even on extremely flat groundstrokes.
I could see Amy finding herself back in the top 75 for a short period of time.

:hearts: I would be happy if she would just come back to get her 3 wins to join the 500 club :lol: :angel:

cellophane
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
One win and GM goes into overdrive with :weirdo: threads. But then it's like this always

Sharapova and Safina aren't top players and wins over them shouldn't be used as barometers for success, when they happen to be playing like shit 80 percent of the time.

Sammo
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Maybe Chris O'Neil can win 2011 Australian Open, she made it in 1978 ranked 118 so why not now? :spit:

Gregorio87
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Maybe not the best example but Thomas Muster came back to the ATP at 42 and he is loosing in first rounds of challenger tournaments against unraked/ low ranked players. He was No.1...

Yeah something like this:lol: They need hard training and motivation to come back.

Londoner
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM

Having said that I sure would enjoy seeing Natasha Zvereva playing doubles again but even here I would keep my expectations modest.

You are so certain, which is dangerous. You might be right or you could be wrong? Better. Date was an also ran. Hey ho.

Ferg
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Kimiko is probably a once-off.

tennisforadults
Sep 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I agree with Shvedbarilescu that Kimiko is really the exception.

You need to be:
Fighting fit at 40 (with abs to prove)
Eternally young (Japanese blood - they are known for producing centurians)
Able to cope with the year-round training and travelling schedule
A skilled strategist (brain over power)

I'm not sure any other player from the last decade can do it. Hingis maybe (she's still 30).

shirgan
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I think kimiko's win is not that unexpected considering sharapova is pretty much a 1 dimensional player.
so probably a fit well rounded player from the past could take some scalps, but not top ones (sharapova is not a top player even if some people keep insisting)

spencercarlos
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I am sorry but you do not have a clue. :wavey:
Keep believing that Kimiko is unique and what she is doing is unmatchable :lol:

You are so delusional.

scandic78
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:30 AM
One win and GM goes into overdrive with :weirdo: threads. But then it's like this always

Sharapova and Safina aren't top players and wins over them shouldn't be used as barometers for success, when they happen to be playing like shit 80 percent of the time.

what the hell does this mean? How on Earth then is Kimiko a top 60 player? It's not just those wins over Sharapova and Safina, look at her record since her return and you might learn something. :lol:

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Then she is coming back in 2015

http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/pics/02us/02usaf1.jpg
Amy Frazier
http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/pics/02us/02usaf2.jpg

tennisforadults
Sep 28th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Keep believing that Kimiko is unique and what she is doing is unmatchable :lol:

You are so delusional.

Truth mate, truth.

If you can get another 40 yr old retired player to play as well as she does, we can talk.

PLP
Sep 28th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Hingis(especially), Capriati, and Pierce are talented enough, if they come back 100% fit, to be ranked higher than Kimiko, and probably play consistently better...of course they are also younger.

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Hingis(especially), Capriati, and Pierce are talented enough, if they come back 100% fit, to be ranked higher than Kimiko, and probably play consistently better...of course they are also younger.
Hingis and Capriati have already made their comeback.

I don't see caming back, although she is better off being n tennis than out of it.

Hingis has already been there, done that.

I don't know what you mean by 100% fit, but if their game was not based on 100% fitness to do well, why start now?

Hingis has always resisted strenght training, Capriati is not that crazy about it either.

Whitehead's Boy
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I'll repeat what I said in another thread.

Certainly what Krumm has accomplished so far deserves all our respect. But let's keep thing in perspective: it's not THAT special or extraordinary. What makes the difference is that she retired at 26 so it's easier for her to be fresh and motivated.

The problem of 99% of players at some point, which is why they retire at around age 30: lack of motivation and burning out.

In Krumm's case, considering she's fit and motivated, why wouldn't she enjoy some success?

With similar circonstances, would all the ex-top 4 players be able to do that? I doubt it. But I see no reason why half of them couldn't do it.

If Graf was healthy, fit and motivated, of course she would be top 50 at 40. Duh. Navratilova was what, top 4 at 37? It's really a matter of staying fit and motivated. Why would a talented top player "forget" how to play tennis when she's 40? Nonsense. The game hasn't changed that much; Pierce and Seles were already blasting the ball 15 year ago, so if players could handle the power back then, they can handle it now.

Whitehead's Boy
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Truth mate, truth.

If you can get another 40 yr old retired player to play as well as she does, we can talk.

We won't, simply because tennis players at 40 are not motivated to work hard to be at best around 50 in the world. They are fed up of travelling, burn out of the sport, not motivated or injured.

tennisforadults
Sep 28th, 2010, 04:02 AM
We won't, simply because tennis players at 40 are not motivated to work hard to be at best around 50 in the world. They are fed up of travelling, burn out of the sport, not motivated or injured.

Exactly. Success on tour is not just about skills, power, athleticism, it's also about being healthy and highly motivated (just look at Vaidisova).

That's why what Kimiko is doing is unique and unmatchable. You have answered my point beautifully. :)