PDA

View Full Version : If you were Nike, at what point would you give Maria one of your famous "pep talks"?

brickhousesupporter
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
As we all know, the Nike reps are some of the best motivational speakers in the business. In 2007, they had one of their famous pep talks, where they threatened to cancel Serena's contract if she did not do well at the Australian Open. As we all know, Serena won the tournament. The Nike reps get results.

So now, I pose this question to you guys, when should Nike get involve with Sharapova? It is obvious that she is need of one of their famous pep talks. If you were Nike, when would you give Maria a pep talk?

I would give Maria until the start of the new tennis season. I say at the 2011 Australian Open. I think she deserves the off season to work on her game and get her head together.

The Witch-king
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM
2007 not 2005

The Witch-king
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Should Chris Evert write her an open letter?

spartanfan
It's been almost 18 months since she's comeback from surgery. This is what Nike gets for signing Maria based on being tall and blonde over someone who has posted up better results. How's that investment paying off for you Nike? lol

brickhousesupporter
Should Chris Evert write her an open letter?
At this stage, it can only help!!!

Helen Lawson
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Serena's problem was mental, not sure that's the case with Maria. Serena's book said the "pep talk" was 2007 Australian.

azinna
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Yes, Serena's issue lack of focus on tennis and the motivation to do all the training required. A pep talk would do wonders in that situation.

Can't say for sure, but I think Maria is really feeling the pressure, and handling it badly. If that's the case, I'm not sure piling on more pressure is the way to go.

spartanfan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Nike always gives more money to Maria than to Serena.
I know, but I wonder what it was based on. Because it definitely wasn't based off of results..I wonder if she had looked like Tamerine Tanusagaren or Paula Suarez if she would have gotten such a big contract...

Gdsimmons
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I know, but I wonder what it was based on. Because it definitely wasn't based off of results..I wonder if she had looked like Tamerine Tanusagaren or Paula Suarez if she would have gotten such a big contract...

You know what is based on ;);)

Monzanator
Sharapova is the next Kournikova, female version of David Beckham, you name it. Even after her retirement she'll earn more millions just for being there. Sorry to bring you the bad news, but that's reality written with a lot of $$$ all over it. The same goes for the current state of her game. Nobody gives a damn she didn't win a Slam for over two years now, she is marketing man's dream and since Caro isn't a Nike player, Maria's place is well secured.

Vartan
It's been almost 18 months since she's comeback from surgery. This is what Nike gets for signing Maria based on being tall and blonde over someone who has posted up better results. How's that investment paying off for you Nike? lol

How is being prejudiced paying off for YOU in life?

joão.
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Maria is still getting Nike lots of attention and making her contract worth even if she's getting bad results at tennis :lol:

spartanfan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:40 PM
WTF are you talking about?

Andrew Laeddis
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:41 PM
If I were Nike, I'd get Joe Jackson to deliver one of his famous pep talks. Now he knows how to get results.

Vartan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM

What do you have against tall blond people?

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM

Outside of tennis community who knows who Serena Williams is. As Sam Smith stated on Eurosport earlier this year, there are only three tennis players recognizable worldwide, Maria Sharapova, Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal. They are larger characters then this game and nobody cares about Federer losing to Djokovic anyway as well as Maria's slump recently :shrug:

spartanfan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
What do you have against tall blond people?
:lol: Nothing in general. I just think she's overpaid and overhyped for being tall and blonde.

Gdsimmons
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Outside of tennis community who knows who Serena Williams is. As Sam Smith stated on Eurosport earlier this year, there are only three tennis players recognizable worldwide, Maria Sharapova, Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal. They are larger characters then this game and nobody cares about Federer losing to Djokovic anyway as well as Maria's slump recently :shrug:

Are you saying that outside of the tennis world, no one knows who Serena Williams is??

Andrew Laeddis
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:46 PM

:lol:

I dont even like ReRe but this is absurd. :tape:

spartanfan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Eeeer, hate to break it to you but Serena (and Venus) are household names in plenty parts of the world. And here in the US they are know solely by their first names.

silyaunWILLIAMS
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:50 PM
When she loses her looks ;)

Olórin
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Outside of tennis community who knows who Serena Williams is

Fictional problems aside - you really think Maria S is going to be reaping the full dividends of that $80 million contract if she doesn't make the second week of a slam again in her career? The answer is no. Of course her shelf-life will not expire over night, she was both the best and most famous female tennis player on the planet at one point. That counts for a lot, but you should heed the OP. I don't think a pep talk would hurt at all, many of her problems seem to be mental.

brickhousesupporter
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/rudeboy77/Gifs/Tickle-Me-elmo.gif

This is so ridiculous........

FoxyliciousKhat

:help::help::help::help::help::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I could not help but honestly laugh at this.

Maria is well known I agree but to think that, outside of tennis Maria and or even Fed who I love is much more known that Serena is beyond ridiculous... but hey have your fantasy.

As for the topic of the thread. I don't know if I think Maria needs a pep talk. Yeah she has not won in ages and she's had some head scratching results but I think Maria will eventually get it together with time. Maybe she's pressured and that is affecting her on court. Who knows?! Hopefully she'll work it out soon.

Foxy

jefrilibra
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:53 PM

You win! Post of the day!:worship::worship::worship:

madmax
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Eeeer, hate to break it to you but Serena (and Venus) are household names in plenty parts of the world. And here in the US they are know solely by their first names.

and Maria is a household name everywhere arround the world:wavey:Her recent suckage on tennis court has nothing to do with her contracts and endorsements, which are at their peak right now. You don't like it? Well, suck it up then, coz tall blonde with model looks is always gonna sell, no matter how much venom her haters spit on these forums.

shoryuken
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Outside of tennis community who knows who Serena Williams is.

:lol:

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Are you saying that outside of the tennis world, no one knows who Serena Williams is??

That's what Sam Smith said in first place and I'm only quoting her :) But I do agree with that statement.

You probably have more household names in baseball or football which I haven't heard about in my life :shrug:

I know Americans tend to be overhyped when talking about themselves, but seriously, Tiger Woods is the only worldwide-known athlete from second tier popularity discplines. And I'm aware there are going to be hundreds of people claiming golf is helluva popular and stands over such minnows as soccer or athletics, but neah, nobody knows any golfers on this side of Atlantic other then Woods... :shrug:

Olórin
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM
That's what Sam Smith said and I'm only quoting her :)

Her experience of the non-tennis community outside Britain (where Serena is a household name) would be minimal, so how is she some sort of authority for the matter. I suggest you either substantiate your statement with more than one opinion or desist.

In my own experience Serena Williams is known in China outside the tennis community, in fact only a few months ago I was talking to a Chinese course-mate about her match with Zheng Zie at the Australian Open. Your comments really don't hold much water.

Diesel
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Thank goodness Maria lost :lol:

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM
and Maria is a household name everywhere around the world:wavey:Her recent suckage on tennis court has nothing to do with her contracts and endorsements, which are at their peak right now. You don't like it? Well, suck it up then, coz tall blonde with model looks is always gonna sell, no matter how much venom her haters spit on these forums.

This.

I agree a little bit. Serena's fan base is mostly young urban Americans. Maria's fan base is suburban America, Europe, and Asia. Nike wants to appeal to these groups, especially the large Asian market.

This.

You win! Post of the day!:worship::worship::worship:

Just for a technical remainder, tall blonde girls will always have more attention then even the best looking African American worldwide. Life is unfair and sucks, but that's bussiness reality.

Gdsimmons
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:06 PM
To say no one knows Serena outside of tennis is just stupid. Yes Rafa, Roger and Maria are recognizable to people outside of tennis, but Serena is up there with them as well.

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
As the "best of the rest", yes, perhaps but still a long way behind.

Diesel
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:08 PM
To say no one knows Serena outside of tennis is just stupid.

And not only that but Maria is white and Serena is black and therefore Maria wins. Amazing.

Olórin
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Just for a technical remainder, tall blonde girls will always have more attention then even the best looking African American worldwide. Life is unfair and sucks, but that's bussiness reality.

Ooooook, just by way of reference:

A few good looking African American women: Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, Beyonce Knowles - women who have grossed billions worldwide. Something no above-average height female blonde has ever come close to. :shrug: I guess Maria's loss has hit you hard. But hey, I'm sure you will acclimatise to that reality. :)

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM
This world is full of cliches, white earn more then blacks, tall more then short, handsome more then ugly and stuff like that. You can't possibly be so naive to believe in the so-called equality, do you?

Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, Beyonce Knowles - African-American women who have grossed billions worldwide. Something no above-average height female blonde has ever come close to. :shrug: I guess Maria's loss has hit you hard.

We're not talking about music industry here, mind you. We talk about sports. Even movies bussiness has this pattern firmly in hand. Did you ever wonder why it took 80 years for an African American to get an Oscar for a LEADING actors' role? Do you actually believe it was a coincidence?

The Witch-king
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM
:lol: @Sam Smith said it so it must be true!

I like her but that woman says a lotta JACKED UP $HIT. Just shows how people in tennis are completely out of touch with the world.

The Witch-king
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Ooooook, just by way of reference:

A few good looking African American women: Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, Beyonce Knowles - women who have grossed billions worldwide. Something no above-average height female blonde has ever come close to. :shrug: I guess Maria's loss has hit you hard. But hey, I'm sure you will acclimatise to that reality. :)

i take it you've never heard of Madonna, Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
:lol: @Sam Smith said it so it must be true!

I like her but that woman says a lotta JACKED UP $HIT. Just shows how people in tennis are completely out of touch with the world.

Well, I guess if somebody says anything you disagree with, that's a valid reason to flush it down the toilet? Seriously, how do you rate Serena-marketing wise in Asia for instance. Over here in Europe Wozniacki has firmly emerged as the next face of women's tennis and it means absolutely nothing how boring her game is and how many Slams she won compared to Serena ;)

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Outside of tennis community who knows who Serena Williams is

Is that why Serena was almost 20 places higher than Maria on the Forbes list for 'Celebrities 100' in the recent years?

Opinions vs Facts (http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/22/lady-gaga-oprah-winfrey-business-entertainment-celeb-100-10_land.html?boxes=listschannelinsidelists).

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Forbes is an American magazine and I've already stated that Americans use to overhype their public image. It would be an insult for an American mag to put Serena behind any other non-US player, so obviously they didn't :shrug:

Gdsimmons
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:21 PM
To say whites will ALWAYS win and be better than blacks is just so wrong. Yes there are many instances where white people get over on black people IE Hollywood is a prime example. But its not always the case

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM
It's not about winning in strictly sporting aspect of the game. Maria may never win a match vs Serena again, but she'll still earn more money IMO.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:26 PM
At the end of the day, you have just opinions that Serena is not known outside the tennis world.

We have Facts (from forbes) (http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/22/lady-gaga-oprah-winfrey-business-entertainment-celeb-100-10_land.html?boxes=listschannelinsidelists), Facts (from Esquire) (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=17621376&postcount=1) and more facts (From TIME MAGAZINE) (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1984685_1984949_1985247,00.html) that it is not true.

Facts win.

Thanks for playing.

The Witch-king
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Well, I guess if somebody says anything you disagree with, that's a valid reason to flush it down the toilet? Seriously, how do you rate Serena-marketing wise in Asia for instance. Over here in Europe Wozniacki has firmly emerged as the next face of women's tennis and it means absolutely nothing how boring her game is and how many Slams she won compared to Serena ;)

i don't know anything about marketing tennis players in Asia but on my own observation WS are EXTREMELY well known outside of tennis. I can't count how many references i've seen made to them in movies, sitcoms, songs etc. I haven't done any surveys but i simply cant imagine the average person where i live not knowing who Serena Williams is, but knowing Sharapova.

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
At the end of the day, you have just opinions that Serena is not known outside the tennis world.

We have Facts (from forbes) (http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/22/lady-gaga-oprah-winfrey-business-entertainment-celeb-100-10_land.html?boxes=listschannelinsidelists), Facts (from Esquire) (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=17621376&postcount=1) and more facts (From TIMES MAGAZINE) (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1984685_1984949_1985247,00.html) that it is not true.

Simple

Forbes = USA. Biased. You might as well ask Richard Williams who he thinks is the greatest female player of all time. I bet my ass he won't mention Graf nor Navratilova nor Evert :lol:

i don't know anything about marketing tennis players in Asia but on my own observation WS are EXTREMELY well known outside of tennis. I can't count how many references i've seen made to them in movies, sitcoms, songs etc. I haven't done any surveys but i simply cant imagine the average person where i live not knowing who Serena Williams is, but knowing Sharapova.

I assume your talking about US movies, sitcoms and songs? ;)

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/22/lady-gaga-oprah-winfrey-business-entertainment-celeb-100-10_land.html?boxes=listschannelinsidelists), Esquire (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=17621376&postcount=1) and more TIME MAGAZINE (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1984685_1984949_1985247,00.html) are all biased but you are not :lol: :lol:

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/22/lady-gaga-oprah-winfrey-business-entertainment-celeb-100-10_land.html?boxes=listschannelinsidelists), Esquire (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=17621376&postcount=1) and more TIME MAGAZINE (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1984685_1984949_1985247,00.html) are all biased but you are not :lol: :lol:

All US magazines, do I see a pattern here :wavey: Like I've said before, I can't imagine any US media admitting Serena to being second best to any non-US player :shrug:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:31 PM
All US magazines, do I see a pattern here :wavey: Like I've said before, I can't imagine any US media admitting Serena to being second best to any non-US player :shrug:

Still better than an opinion of a Maria fan :wavey: We have facts, you dont. Simple. This isnt about admitting that serena is second to someone. This is about you saying that no one knows who Serena is, outside the tennisworld.

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:33 PM
To justify your opinion, most certainly yes :lol:

brickhousesupporter
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Then provide us with Asian and European magazines showing Sharapova as the best ever.......

The Witch-king
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Yes, US movies and songs that are heard all over the world and influence global culture (guess what, i don't live in the US and I KNOW WHO SERENA WILLIAMS IS :o :bolt:)

also you can't separate Serena's tennis success from her fame. Many (if not all) famous sportspeople are famous simply because they are the best. You think Nadal is famous for his topspin forehand or better yet his looks :lol:? No. It's because he wins a lot. I don't follow golf or athletics but i know who Usain Bolt and Tiger Woods are. Why? Because they win/won a lot. Same with Serena- they may not be able to identify her on the street or distinguish her from her sister. They may not even want to buy some watch advertised by her but they KNOW her as that woman that WINS a lot. You can Never underestimate success, dear.

madmax
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Still better than an opinion of a Maria fan :wavey: We have facts, you dont. Simple.

yup, the only fact that you have is that America >>> the rest of the World:wavey: I live in Europe and let me tell you that we know jack shit about your local sports or show business stars. The only "stars" that get a mention here are the biggest ones - Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant and that's about it from sports ones. The same goes for show biz as well. The fact that you ar relying on american magazine lists simply shows how biased and shortsighted you are.

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Then provide us with Asian and European magazines showing Sharapova as the best ever.......

I didn't say about Sharapova being the best ever, mind you. I've said about her being the most recognizeable female tennis athlete and that's something completely different. Obviously nobody stated the fact she's the highest-paid female athlete (once again this has nothing to do with actual sporting skills atm) but is the prime example of who's who in the sports bussiness, actual results put aside.

Gawain
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM
:lol: Nothing in general. I just think she's overpaid and overhyped for being tall and blonde.

http://www.frenchopen4u.com/wp-content/gallery/serena-williams/serena-williams.jpg

brickhousesupporter
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM
yup, the only fact that you have is that America >>> the rest of the World:wavey: I live in Europe and let me tell you that we know jack shit about your local sports or show business stars. The only "stars" that get a mention here are the biggest ones - Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant and that's about it from sports ones. The same goes for show biz as well. The fact that you ar relying on american magazine lists simply shows how biased and shortsighted you are.

brickhousesupporter
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I didn't say about Sharapova being the best ever, mind you. I've said about her being the most recognizeable female tennis athlete and that's something completely different. Obviously nobody stated the fact she's the highest-paid female athlete (once again this has nothing to do with actual sporting skills atm) but is the prime example of who's who in the sports bussiness, actual result put aside.
Evidence......proof......receipts........???????

The Witch-king
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM

well, they "admit" that Serena is second best to Federer and he's not American. :shrug:

what i don't understand is, you realise that you are talking to a bunch of people who live outside the US that are disputing your claim, right? Surely that counts for some thing.

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Popularity can't be counted in statistical numbers, the only numbers involved here is the money account. Unless you're not familiar with this (and yes, even Forbes couldn't fool around with the maths):

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/18/top-earning-female-athletes-business-sportsmoney-female-athletes.html

..then there's no point in stating any other facts. Danica Patrick at number 4 is another perfect example of average results meaning nothing when it comes to couting the chips. Money talks in this world :wavey:

Mistress of Evil
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Mashabators vs. reetards.:rolleyes:

madmax
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ys-forbesfemaleearners081910
here ya go - an article from famous AMERICAN company, stating that Maria is the best paid and most recognizable female sports star. Is it enough proof for you, or you want all european and asian articles in their own languages?

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:47 PM

More like Money vs Philanthropy. Money always wins, jusk ask Hugo Chavez how are his oil companies doing :lol:

brickhousesupporter
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Popularity can't be counted in statistical numbers, the only numbers involved here is the money account. Unless you're not familiar with this (and yes, even Forbes couldn't fool around with the maths):

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/18/top-earning-female-athletes-business-sportsmoney-female-athletes.html
..then there's no point in stating any other facts. Danica Patrick at number 4 is another perfect example of average results meaning nothing when it comes to couting the chips. Money talks in this world :wavey:
Your words not mine.....now popularity can't be measured. So they guys that signs Kobe's check is more famous than him, because he makes more money. OK!!!!!!!!
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/rudeboy77/Gifs/Rolleyes.gif

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Then, why do you think Maria earns more than Serena in endorsements?

Winning Wimbledon at 17 surely helped a lot and by the fact she lived in USA so long before that, it became an instant hit there as well. It's not like she was a random nobody from Eastern Europe who couldn't speak English. Plus she's outgoing, talkative, always welcome to shoot promotional gigs and attend various events if needed. She may be a cold, rude person to other players, but that's not from where the money comes. She got hooked up with the industry and is a natural with it. Not to mention, blonde hair and green eyes helped a lot too :lol:

brickhousesupporter
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ys-forbesfemaleearners081910
here ya go - an article from famous AMERICAN company, stating that Maria is the best paid and most recognizable female sports star. Is it enough proof for you, or you want all european and asian articles in their own languages?
As your fellow mashabators have said, US magazines are biased and don't matter. If they don't matter for Serena, then they can't matter for Maria.......:shrug:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM

No.

It is about people saying no one knows who Serena is, outside of Tennisworld people.

Monzanator
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Your words not mine.....now popularity can't be measured. So they guys that signs Kobe's check is more famous than him, because he makes more money. OK!!!!!!!!

Whoever brought Kobe into this thread has run out of ideas to justify his point. Sorry, but I'm talking about Maria and Serena and here and Kobe quite frankly doesn't have anything to with tennis community apart from one of his teammates dating Maria :tape:

No.

It is about people saying no one knows who Serena is, outside of Tennisworld people.

Get over it and move on :D America doesn't always win ;)

ExXotikal
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:58 PM
If I were Nike, I'd get Joe Jackson to deliver one of his famous pep talks. Now he knows how to get results.

Well then Joe teh Terrible must have lost touch with his own daughter cause Tranita Jo sure aib't selling shit for a long ass minute now.

As for Maria, bitch needs to get her shit together and need that "Sugar, Imma need to take yo dough back" talk, definitely. I bet homegirl is shaking in her Louboutin boots everytime she has to check her email box :lol:

And LMAO at the guy who said that Serena was a lessor girl outside the hood. Pure comedy!

Gdsimmons
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM
This thread is just :tape::tape:

brickhousesupporter
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Whoever brought Kobe into this thread has run out of ideas to justify his point. Sorry, but I'm talking about Maria and Serena and here and Kobe quite frankly doesn't have anything to with tennis community apart from one of his teammates dating Maria :tape:
That would be your fellow Mashabator......he was using Kobe as an example of internationally known star.........So American magazines are not valid, and neither is Kobe...........OK.

The Daviator
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM

What international magazines is Maria in :confused: I'm exposed to UK media and I never see Maria's name or face outside of Wimbledon fortnight, I often see Serena's.

madmax
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:03 PM
That would be your fellow Mashabator......he was using Kobe as an example of internationally known star.........So American magazines are not valid, and neither is Kobe...........OK.

OK, so let me get this straight - first you are saying that most american magazines are touting Serena as the most famous sports star, but when you are getting proved wrong, you change your argument accordingly? Is that how you roll in every real life situation as well?

Craig.
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:04 PM
OK, so let me get this straight - first you are saying that most american magazines are touting Serena as the most famous sports star, but when you are getting proved wrong, you change your argument accordingly? Is that how you roll in every real life situation as well?

YOU, stop fucking posting. Kay, thanks.

madmax
What international magazines is Maria in :confused: I'm exposed to UK media and I never see Maria's name or face outside of Wimbledon fortnight, I often see Serena's.

since when UK cares about more than football and cricket anyway?:lol:

brickhousesupporter
When did I say that?......please find that post.

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM

According to Forbes, Serena is a more powerful celebrity than Maria. http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/22/lady-gaga-oprah-winfrey-business-entertainment-celeb-100-10_land.html?boxes=Homepagelighttop
It's not all about the Benjamins. ;) People who think otherwise... :help:

When Nike announced/confirmed that record breaking contract, they said that they didn't sign Nike just because of her looks (only 65% :lol:), but also because of her image as a champion. Well, after that she lost 1st round, 3rd round, 4th round and 4th round at the Grand Slams and slipped out of the Top 20 as of now.

As a fan, I couldn't care less how many millions Maria has on her bank account. I mean, good for her, but I'd rather see her win another 3 Grand Slams than add another 50 million to her fortune.:shrug:

If I could choose (for my faves or myself:p ) between 13 Grand Slam titles but less endorsements and 3 Grand Slam titles but plenty of endorsements, I would most definitely choose the former. ;)

madmax
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM
When did I say that?......please find that post.

allright, your fellow WS tard claimed that...my mistake. Anyway, the points stands - Maria is the best paid female athlete in the world, yet one particular fanbase finds this fact completely hard to swallow. And I wanna ask you why is that? Isn't all those slams not enough for you to satisfy your gloryhunting needs, you need Serena to be best at everything? And me personally could care less how much one or another player earns - that has nothing to do with me or another irrelevant fan on this board.

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:26 PM
allright, your fellow WS tard claimed that...my mistake. Anyway, the points stands - Maria is the best paid female athlete in the world, yet one particular fanbase finds this fact completely hard to swallow. And I wanna ask you why is that? Isn't all those slams not enough for you to satisfy your gloryhunting needs, you need Serena to be best at everything? And me personally could care less how much one or another player earns - that has nothing to do with me or another irrelevant fan on this board.

Lol. Sure.

There are plenty of Mashafaaans who jump on those forbes thread every year, because Masha's income is pretty much the only stellar thing about her career nowadays.:sobbing: Every june when this list comes out, they feel themselves so flippin much it's surreal.

Gawain
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I think Masha is overpaid because she is from Nyagan.
They always favour Nyaganians.

Eri
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Boy has this thread gone off the rails! It always boils down to race but then again that world we live in. It amazes me how some (not all) people outside of the US bash us for only seeing things from an American perspective but speak so arrogantly from whatever part of the earth they inhabit :fiery:. We can go back and forth about Maria being more well known today. If Serena gave a damn, which I don't think she does, she can take comfort in the fact that her legacy is stamped in history. Fifty years from now no one will be talking about Maria unless she rescues a bunch of orphans from a burning home or has an unauthorized sex tape :eek:.

Serena, I suspect will be known for her great tennis and then her beauty. Sadly for Maria, most of the world recognizes her beauty first and then her tennis... Even in her so called arrogance, I don't think that sits well with her. If it did she'd just stop playing tennis and start playing Kournikova. But continue to argue about the here and now. Actually its not about popularity more than it is marketability and as a woman fast approaching my prime, I can't afford to be naive enough to deny that tall, blond and skinny sells. Its about the all mighty dollar. Nike and all of Maria's sponsors are going to pimp her look for all its worth and as a smart woman, she will take that to the bank as well as she should. They are already looking for the next "it girl". This couldn't not have been more clear with all the drooling they are doing over Caro during the U.S. Open.

Donny
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I agree a little bit. Serena's fan base is mostly young urban Americans. Maria's fan base is suburban America, Europe, and Asia. Nike wants to appeal to these groups, especially the large Asian market.

Michael Jordan has earned hundreds of millions of dollars by appealing to young urban Americans.

NeoZod19
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM
If I were Nike, I will force Yuri to come back or get new coach right away.

Rome
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Michael Jordan has earned hundreds of millions of dollars by appealing to young urban Americans.

This!!!!!!!! don't think there will ever be another Jordan. But it also had something to do with his cool logo. I have 12 pairs of Jordans:tape::help:

Rome
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM
If I were Nike, I will force Yuri to come back or get new coach right away.

I aggre with this. He made for good drama.

propi
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:07 PM
:help:
If you're using some players' name, the least you could do is write it properly :o

Donny
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:08 PM
This!!!!!!!! don't think there will ever be another Jordan. But it also had something to do with his cool logo. I have 12 pairs of Jordans:tape::help:

In my lifetime, I have had:

A pair of 3's

A pair of 5's

A pair of 8's

2 pairs of 12's

2 pairs of 13's

A pair of 14's

A pair of Dub Zero's

BluSthil
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM
How about yesterday !!!

L'Enfant Sauvage
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Funny how this thread spiraled out of control so fast. And 3 or so pages of neither side even acknowledging what the other has said.

Maria is the highest paid female tennis player, the facts are there and indisputable.

Serena is the most recognizable female tennis player.

Both sides are correct. Maria's modeling/endorsements are ridiculous, but not because of WHO she is. Now because of her stunning tennis, because people like Henin can produce way more beautiful tennis, hands down. She gets this money because she happens to be a player, and has model looks that can sell. Not because of her name. The fact that she has three slams serves as nothing more but justification - If Kirilenko or Wozniacki were to win maybe 2 or even one slam, they'd make just nearly as much - Just look at Ivanovic, who continues to rake in the dough even though she hasn't made it past a 4th round in... How long? It's not like the people who see her pictures even know who she is. They just see a hot chick, like all the other ones they drool over in magazines.

Serena has nothing on Maria marketability wise, but like someone else mentioned, her winning is why she is known. I remember just a few months ago talking to my friend from Oklahoma(Who is most certainly NOT bla--err, "urban,") and making small talk over the tennis match I was waiting to see(It was during this Wimbledon, mind you.) I threw a few names at him to see if he knew anything about tennis. He did not know Sharapova, Henin, Clijsters, even Nadal(though that may have changed now.) He did, however, recognize at least by name, Serena, Venus and Roger. The bottom line is, while people wait for their football, soccer, basketball, etc to come on ESPN or whatever channels you guys have in Europe, they usually wind up seeing or at least hearing the headlines in other sports. And who's the main girl on tour, whose name winds up mentioned during every match, even some of the men's matches, who always winds up in the 'sports report' sections for two weeks straight? Not Maria, unfortunately.

I can't remember the last time I heard of Maria while not watching tennis coverage. Serena, however, I just stumbled upon an hour ago on Oprah while flipping through channels :shrug:

Knizzle
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I guarantee there's no one in this world who knows who Maria Sharapova is, that DOESN'T know who Serena(and Venus for that matter) is. But I'm sure there are plenty who know who Serena is, but don't know Sharapova.

brickhousesupporter
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM

In my lifetime, I have had:

A pair of 3's

A pair of 5's

A pair of 8's

2 pairs of 12's

2 pairs of 13's
A pair of 14's

A pair of Dub Zero's
I stopped at IX. That was the last one before that shiny patent leather Jordan that I thought was ugly.

miffedmax
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I would show her this pic.

http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/516/1edempic13.jpg

Then I would say. "Look. This girl used to wear Nike dresses. Now she's wears shitboxes from Yonex. Think it couldn't happen to you? Think again."

TOB would win like 10 or 12 in a fucking row.

Bismarck.
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I would show them this pic.

Then I would say. "Look. This girl used to wear Nike dresses. Now she's wears shitboxes from Yonex. Think it couldn't happen to you? Think again."

miffedmax saves a thread from being a complete shithole:worship:. Yet again.

Donny
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I stopped at IX. That was the last one before that shiny patent leather Jordan that I thought was ugly.

Oh snap! The 11's is what I think you're talking about. My favorite Jordans ever, and I forgot to include them on the list.

Mrs. Peel
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM
and Maria is a household name everywhere arround the world:wavey:Her recent suckage on tennis court has nothing to do with her contracts and endorsements, which are at their peak right now. You don't like it? Well, suck it up then, coz tall blonde with model looks is always gonna sell, no matter how much venom her haters spit on these forums.

The King Fool of nasty, talking out of both sides of their mouth haters calling out "haters" to go suck it. I've seen it all :lol::lol:

Londoner
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
As we all know, the Nike reps are some of the best motivational speakers in the business. In 2007, they had one of their famous pep talks, where they threatened to cancel Serena's contract if she did not do well at the Australian Open. As we all know, Serena won the tournament. The Nike reps get results.

So now, I pose this question to you guys, when should Nike get involve with Sharapova? It is obvious that she is need of one of their famous pep talks. If you were Nike, when would you give Maria a pep talk?

I would give Maria until the start of the new tennis season. I say at the 2011 Australian Open. I think she deserves the off season to work on her game and get her head together.

I would give her until this time next year. Anything more, I would direspect myself.

Hi Tech can make a visit though.

Mrs. Peel
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM

He has none. He is just talking out of his ass and that is why it stinks in here!

mykarma
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:27 PM
HUH?

NadalSharapova
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Sharapova is the next Kournikova, female version of David Beckham, you name it. Even after her retirement she'll earn more millions just for being there. Sorry to bring you the bad news, but that's reality written with a lot of $$$ all over it. The same goes for the current state of her game. Nobody gives a damn she didn't win a Slam for over two years now, she is marketing man's dream and since Caro isn't a Nike player, Maria's place is well secured.

next kournikova is completely wrong cos maria has talent. female beckham is about right cos both extremely talented with looks as well

Gdsimmons
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Funny how this thread spiraled out of control so fast. And 3 or so pages of neither side even acknowledging what the other has said.

Maria is the highest paid female tennis player, the facts are there and indisputable.

Both sides are correct. Maria's modeling/endorsements are ridiculous, but not because of WHO she is. Now because of her stunning tennis, because people like Henin can produce way more beautiful tennis, hands down. She gets this money because she happens to be a player, and has model looks that can sell. Not because of her name. The fact that she has three slams serves as nothing more but justification - If Kirilenko or Wozniacki were to win maybe 2 or even one slam, they'd make just nearly as much - Just look at Ivanovic, who continues to rake in the dough even though she hasn't made it past a 4th round in... How long? It's not like the people who see her pictures even know who she is. They just see a hot chick, like all the other ones they drool over in magazines.

Serena has nothing on Maria marketability wise, but like someone else mentioned, her winning is why she is known. I remember just a few months ago talking to my friend from Oklahoma(Who is most certainly NOT bla--err, "urban,") and making small talk over the tennis match I was waiting to see(It was during this Wimbledon, mind you.) I threw a few names at him to see if he knew anything about tennis. He did not know Sharapova, Henin, Clijsters, even Nadal(though that may have changed now.) He did, however, recognize at least by name, Serena, Venus and Roger. The bottom line is, while people wait for their football, soccer, basketball, etc to come on ESPN or whatever channels you guys have in Europe, they usually wind up seeing or at least hearing the headlines in other sports. And who's the main girl on tour, whose name winds up mentioned during every match, even some of the men's matches, who always winds up in the 'sports report' sections for two weeks straight? Not Maria, unfortunately.

I can't remember the last time I heard of Maria while not watching tennis coverage. Serena, however, I just stumbled upon an hour ago on Oprah while flipping through channels :shrug:

Like Killer Cahill would say, Too Good!

it-girl
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Outside of tennis community who knows who Serena Williams is. As Sam Smith stated on Eurosport earlier this year, there are only three tennis players recognizable worldwide, Maria Sharapova, Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal. They are larger characters then this game and nobody cares about Federer losing to Djokovic anyway as well as Maria's slump recently :shrug:That is :bs: & Sam Smith who ever that is is totally clueless.

mykarma
Sep 27th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Of course YOU would?

joão.
Sep 27th, 2010, 10:23 PM

Maybe that's because you're in the United States :weirdo:

ptkten
Sep 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Thank you for a reasonable post in this thread. Just to add on my opinion, Maria is (rightly or wrongly) seen as more marketable by companies so she has more endorsements and more money. Serena, on the other hand (at least in the U.S), is so much more well known than Maria.

Everyone in the U.S., and I mean everyone, knows who Serena is. She's all over the place here. Like you said, she was just on Oprah today. This is because of her success, the unique story with her sister, her celebrity friends, and let's face it the controversy she sometimes causes. Tennis fans know who Maria is but if you asked many average Americans who don't follow tennis about who Maria Sharapova was, the most they would know or say is "oh, is she the pretty blonde Russian that won Wimbledon?" With Serena, you don't even have to say her last name.

mykarma
Sep 27th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Why not if it were the truth? Everyone is not as bias as you. These magazine make money and don't care whose feelings they hurt but to say Serena is not known outside of tennis is either an oversight or misinformed.

AcesHigh
Sep 27th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Reetards, why do you take the bait? :help:

brickhousesupporter
Sep 27th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Reetards, why do you take the bait? :help:
Where is the admonishment for the baiters........?

mykarma
Sep 27th, 2010, 10:43 PM
The argument is that no one recognizes Serena outside of tennis not whether Maria makes more money than Serena.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:01 PM
exactly.

I was wondering if Aces would show up in here, and low and behold...

Aces HAD to find a way to come down on Serena fans in here - just had to.

homogenius
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:05 PM

:spit:

Diesel
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:13 PM
exactly.

I was wondering if Aces would show up in here, and low and behold...

Aces HAD to find a way to come down on Serena fans in here - just had to.

Aces is retarded :shrug:

it-girl
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM
The problem here is that many people cannot distinguish the difference between endorsements and fame. Because you have the most endorsements does not mean that you are the most famous, and it really is as simple as that. Maria is the only player who did not have to earn her way into being a tennis superstar, the media created her image. Venus, Serena, Roger & Rafa's results and talent created theirs. Maria Sharapova is not the best looking blonde on the tour, nor does she have the best build for a woman. Her claim to fame is that she won the right match against the right player and the media building machine went into overdrive. Maria needs to personally thank Ana Kournikova because if she had not already paved the way for a it-girl image Maria's win would not have included so many endorsements.

Maria has become a tennis superstar but to believe that she is a worldwide household name is naive. A lot of people do not know who she is outside of the tennis world and that is the truth. Even with all of the endorsements she still is not a household name like Venus and Serena, yet people constantly want to try and make her a bigger star than Serena & Venus when she simply is not. Yes she is the highest paid endorsement wise as far as we know but do we really know how much money Venus & Serena have rolling in from everything that they do and own?

Venus and Serena are never going to let you know what they make now, they are long past needing it to be know that they are rich. They are more private when it comes to their financial affairs. But in Maria's case they use that as part of the on going marketing machine to generated publicity because she does not get much free publicity at all. Now these very endorsements are pressuring her to have better results because let's just put it out there to have endorsements means that you have to sign contracts which makes you the responsible party. And you get paid based on your results.

Even with the hype engine in full power it is still not enough to give Maria what she needs to be truly embraced as a household name, a personality. Her personality is dry even when she wins a match. I looked at 2 different interviews one from a match she won and one from a match she lost and could not tell the difference. I think her personality is something that comes from how and where she grew up and no amount of endorsements can change that. If she truly did have a girl next door personality like Ana Ivanovic with Maria's results then she probably would be more of a world wide household name.

Serena, Venus, Roger & Rafa all have the type of personality that draws people in. So yes Maria has the most endorsements but no that does not make her a automatic household name. Serena's nike clothes even out sell Maria's and that tells you who is earning them more money and free publicity.

tennisbum79
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Vartan http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=18582019#post18582019)

A bad case of pre-emptive strike. I would say.

tennisbum79
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:45 PM

Exellent post.

This should be the end of that spat.

Now back to the thread's topic.

Even tthough it did not seem serious, I think bringing back Yuri could be a good place to start.

On the other hand, I wonder if Maria's injuries woes are more serious than we think
And no amount of pep talk or/and sport psycholy intervention may change that.

canuckfan
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:50 PM
She won't get performance bonuses and she'll get less money when/if her contract get renewed. There's not much more Nike can do.

She won't suddenly start playing better because some executive ask her to.

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:58 PM

:haha: :spit: monzanator and madmax :spit: but max you save the day

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:03 AM
She won't get performance bonuses and she'll get less money when/if her contract get renewed. There's not much more Nike can do.

She won't suddenly start playing better because some executive ask her to.
I agree that a pep talk alone from Nike executive will not be enough.

I think the question is, will Maria act on it and take steps to get out of her relative slump?

And don't dismiss too quickly the threat of downgrading her contract could be a motivational factor?
You have to consider 2 factors here:

Athletes are by nature competitive (and Maria in particular) if you challenge them they will meet the challenge
People who have been used to a celebrity lifestyle, have always had fear of losing it all, the thought of it could be a motivation alfactor to find ways to keep it.

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:10 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I can't stop laughing:lol::lol::lol:

You are so funny

Vartan
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Vartan http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=18582019#post18582019)

A bad case of pre-emptive strike. I would say.

If being blond and tall is all it takes then how come prettier than her Dementievas are not crowding the top 10 paid female athletes lists? Maria has much more to offer -- her story, her win at Wimbledon, her large fanbase, her personality, lack of controversies, etc. Saying that Maria got to where she is now only because she is blond and tall is unfair and prejudicial.

Ana, a brunette, has also had success with endorsements. Jelena is not doing too bad either.

Maria is not even a natural blond by the way.

stangtennis
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Instead of some random Nike guy she should try a ninja for motivation, just like the slutty klan:

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/javaImages/44/80/0,,12781%7E9076804,00.jpg

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/javaImages/46/80/0,,12781%7E9076806,00.jpg

Helen Lawson
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Most men's fantasy woman is blond, tall, pretty, under 25, and full figured. Not sure about the last with Maria, but she's as close as it gets. She hasn't been a factor at majors in quite awhile, not even making the second week. I think if she craps out in Australia, the contract is cancelled. Maybe she has injury insurance. She's a tough player in good shape, just can't get past whatever this injury was!

Hurley
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
We're not talking about music industry here, mind you. We talk about sports. Even movies bussiness has this pattern firmly in hand. Did you ever wonder why it took 80 years for an African American to get an Oscar for a LEADING actors' role? Do you actually believe it was a coincidence?

The coincidence is you're wrong again. This occurred in 1964, which is 37 years after the Oscars started, and a decade after Brown v. Board of Education, and less than one year after "I Have A Dream."

But keep looking stupid, it works for you.

kiwialicat
Sep 28th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I guarantee there's no one in this world who knows who Maria Sharapova is, that DOESN'T know who Serena(and Venus for that matter) is. But I'm sure there are plenty who know who Serena is, but don't know Sharapova.

Well thats absolutely wrong because I know plenty of people that know who Sharapova is and not Serena or Venus. For example; I mentioned in passing womens tennis to this person who doesn't follow tennis at all and the first name that popped into his head was Anna K. Then Maria.

Over here in Aus I'm sure neither Williams sister is a household name nor Sharapova. However Serena is probably more well known by virtue of having won a heap of AOs.

canuckfan
Sep 28th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I agree that a pep talk alone from Nike executive will be enough.

I think question is, will Maria act on it and take steps get out of her relative slump.

And don't dismiss too quickly the threat of down grading her contract could be a motivation factor?
You have consider 2 factors here:

Athletes are by nature competitive (and Maria in particular) if you challenge them they will meet the challenge
People who have been used to a celebrity lifestyle, have always of fear os losing it all, the thought of it could be a motivation factor to find ways to kepp it.

But maybe it's just not a motivation problem. We don't know how hard she works but she's not known to be a lazy person. Maybe she's just unable, physically, to reach her level of three-four years ago. A pep talk or a few threats won't do anything to improve her game.

Most men's fantasy woman is blond, tall, pretty, under 25, and full figured. Not sure about the last with Maria, but she's as close as it gets. She hasn't been a factor at majors in quite awhile, not even making the second week. I think if she craps out in Australia, the contract is cancelled. Maybe she has injury insurance. She's a tough player in good shape, just can't get past whatever this injury was!

I obviously don't know the content of the contract, but I really doubt Nike can just cancel it. She's still fulfilling her obligations: playing tennis and doing photo shoots/media appearances. You cannot oblige a player to win a slam or to be top 5 or top 10. The worst case scenario is that she won't get as much money as she could have had she produced better results on the court.

miffedmax
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:11 AM

I actually read that for all that image being crammed down our throat, there's a large body of evidence (that should be taken with various degrees of seriousness) that most men actually prefer brunettes.

Like I've said before, I always have a list of fantasy gals that's blonde, but in RL I usually end up with brunettes.

Really, it hasn't hurt Serena or, despite my personal feelings, Ana. Last I heard their checks at the grocery store were all clearing.

AcesHigh
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:36 AM

B/c trolls are trolls.. there is no point in reasoning with them.
Show that you're better and ignore them.

Sp!ffy
Sep 28th, 2010, 04:52 AM

This sounds like something a jealous person would say. I'm guessing you are not tall and not blonde and obviously very bitter.

Khelvors
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:06 AM
a few years ago, i remember seeing 2 posters, one of serena and one of venus, both advertising the 'got milk' thing. i didn't recognize either of them, but they seemed vaguely familiar. then again, i didn't know of ANY female or male tennis players. but i probably am an anomaly. :angel:

rjd1111
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:23 AM

I don't know what world you live in, but in the real world

Serena has reached iconic status.

She has been on TV series, movies, had her own reality shows,

been on Leno, Letterman, Conan, Today show, GMA, and every other

talk show you can name, 4 times on Oprah, Sells out her products

everytime on HSN, walked the red carpet with the stars, won athlete

of the year, athlete of the decade, Started schools in Africa,

featured promenently on the BET awards with Jaime Fox for 2 years, featured

in Vogue, People, Essence,Ebony,Sports Ilustrated

numerous times, and many other Magazines, etc...etc...etc

I could post for hours on her achievments.

WTF has Pova done?

Ackms421
Sep 28th, 2010, 07:16 AM
At this point she is a solid top twenty player who has the potential to cause upsets occasionally. That's been her MO for about 18 months. She lost some pop on her serve with the new motion and it's taken the edge off of her game. I think it's 50/50 whether she will find a way to be a top player again. But it's not as if time is on her side. She's been "back" quite a while now and plenty of players could beat her even in her tip top form so...

Ackms421
Sep 28th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Then why does Maria get paid more?

She probably gets more because she has walked the line more than Serena. Serena has been her own person and enjoyed her rebellious ways. Although if she weren't so talented she probably couldn't do that. Maria, on the other hand, is a couple notches down talent wise so she has made sure to tow the line. Of course a corporation prefers a robot to someone unpredictable. So, certainly, they reward Sharapova. And, after all, Sharapova is talented and beautiful. So is Serena, but Serena is doing just fine. Trust me.

Tennisation
Sep 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM

If it wasn't for Madmax, you'd win my vote for dumbest post of the year.

vswfan
Sep 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I think Nike would cut the budget for Maria because:

A) Maria's outfits are really not the kind of outfit normal people would wear it.
B) Maria's results havent been good enough or worthy $70M

But they would never drop of her because Maria's name is already a big thing
and everyone wants Maria she is an icon all over the world.

Londoner
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:16 AM

A) Maria's outfits are really not the kind of outfit normal people would wear it.

But they would never drop of her because Maria's name is already a big thing
and everyone wants Maria she is an icon all over the world.

Not in Britain she isn't!

Stamp Paid
Sep 28th, 2010, 08:47 AM
If being blond and tall is all it takes then how come prettier than her Dementievas are not crowding the top 10 paid female athletes lists? Maria has much more to offer -- her story, her win at Wimbledon, her large fanbase, her personality, lack of controversies, etc. Saying that Maria got to where she is now only because she is blond and tall is unfair and prejudicial.

Ana, a brunette, has also had success with endorsements. Jelena is not doing too bad either.

Maria is not even a natural blond by the way.http://i51.tinypic.com/k2tyg.gif

Anyway, shes a pretty white girl who wins every now and then. :lol: This = marketability, success, millions in endorsements, etc.

SymphonyX
Sep 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Maria loses to KDK twice more.

OMFG Maria! I can't believe a former no. 1 with 3 grand slam titles loses to someone 1617 years your senior! Yes Maria. That's you alright. It won't be long before you join Ivanovic in the dumps.

miffedmax
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:27 PM

I think, quite honestly, that even more than in Tennis Forum, in the outside world the Williams sisters get blurred into a single unit.

I don't disagree that there is an element of racism in some respects. I have also said that TOB has a level of success, a certain "it" factor, a great back story and the drive to succeed off court as well (the success, it factor and offcourt drive being what separate her from say, Dementieva or Wozniaki, two other tall, attractive blondes).

But to a lot of casual or nonfans out there, Serena or Venus are, unfortunately (IMO, because if you don't follow closely enough to see how delightfully different they are you are missing out) "one of those two sisters who play tennis." And Maria is "that pretty girl who plays tennis." (Which is not to say that V & S aren't pretty, or that other players aren't prettier than TOB. But that's the impression I get from my nontennis fan friends).

Stamp Paid
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I think, quite honestly, that even more than in Tennis Forum, in the outside world the Williams sisters get blurred into a single unit.

I don't disagree that there is an element of racism in some respects. I have also said that TOB has a level of success, a certain "it" factor, a great back story and the drive to succeed off court as well (the success, it factor and offcourt drive being what separate her from say, Dementieva or Wozniaki, two other tall, attractive blondes).

But to a lot of casual or nonfans out there, Serena or Venus are, unfortunately (IMO, because if you don't follow closely enough to see how delightfully different they are you are missing out) "one of those two sisters who play tennis." And Maria is "that pretty girl who plays tennis." (Which is not to say that V & S aren't pretty, or that other players aren't prettier than TOB. But that's the impression I get from my nontennis fan friends).Well just for the sake of argument, if what you say is true, why is Venus far lower on the income and endorsement ladder than her sister, if they're both seen as a single unit?

denny5576
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I think Maria is really feeling the pressure, and handling it badly. If that's the case, I'm not sure piling on more pressure is the way to go.
I think that's the case and agree with you - more pressure will not help

harloo
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Personally, I don't feel like Maria is in jeopardy of losing anything. Their needs to be another semi-attractive thin blond who has the potential to win slams before Maria enters that danger zone. Remember, Maria was supposed to be the new and improved Anna Kournikova. Anna never won a singles but still raked in millions of dollars just for being blond and young.

Monzanator
Sep 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Somebody pointed out my ignorance, well, you can't stop people from trying to rewrite the scripts, can you? On the US market Serena obviously is privileged, but as if American ever though of playing second fiddle to anyone, their opinions always seem to be superior to the rest of the world, even if they're not true. I won't try to drag them out of their happy shelter, pleas live your life to the full :D Moreover, since Sharapova is the most hated player on TF, you can't really think of anyone give her the benefit of the doubt on this one. If Serena played crap for over two years, won only some random MMs, you really think she'd get that much exposure as she gets now? Young American players pretty much suck nowadays and there's hardly anyone who can follow the sisters' path to glory. Without them, US female tennis is nowhere very much unlike on the Russian side, despite all the seasoned veterans still hanging out there. Zvonareva is the only one on the upswing but in a couple of years time Kleybanova and Pavlyuchenkova will be solid Top 10 contenders. Sharapova is playing crap at the moment, but this has nothing to do with her endorsements anymore, she is a bigger marketing asset then just being a successful athlete, some players can ride a high tide only when backed up by a successful sporting results. Anna Kournikova clearly showed how it's supposed to be done when you're not a successful athlete.

I also think the next pin-up girl for women's tennis will be Caroline Wozniacki. In fact, she's already rocking that boat, but she'll obviously need to win some Slams before she firmly joins the Sharapova club.

Diesel
Sep 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Well just for the sake of argument, if what you say is true, why is Venus far lower on the income and endorsement ladder than her sister, if they're both seen as a single unit?

And why are people so stupid that they can't tell one person from another :confused: I mean damn, it's been years now. Shit.

denny5576
Sep 28th, 2010, 04:13 PM

Nike is not so interested in Maria's results on tennis courts, like many on this forum believe. Nike is interested in the financial results which Maria brings to them. So far those results exceeded the expectations. Therefore the "marriage" Maria - Nike is stronger now than was 9 months ago and stronger than last year when they negotiated the contract.
Of course Maria and Nike want GS titles and big wins because they will help the financial results. But for Nike it is not obligatory. It is only a wish. Maria is under pressure not because of clauses in the contract with Nike, but because she wants to prove to everybody that can achieve even more than before the shoulder operation.
Maria's value to Nike and other sponsors is not her value as a tennis player. She is the only female sportsmen in the world who has such global appeal and able to do similar things for them like M. Jordan.

miffedmax
Sep 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Well just for the sake of argument, if what you say is true, why is Venus far lower on the income and endorsement ladder than her sister, if they're both seen as a single unit?

Venus and Serena are still #2 and #3. I would argue that Venus is probably hurt more because she is not as successful as her sister.

I also did not say that was the ONLY factor. I said it was a factor. I think they tend to frag each other a little, but there are other things that kick in, some of which are Maria's positives (she is a champion in her own right, beautiful, poised, etc.) some of which are not (I personally believe there are probably some deals Serena doesn't get because she is black, yes. I think some choices she has made to be her own person make her less attractive to some sponsors, and more attractive to others, so that may be a wash).

Like I said before though, I'm sure when Ree writes a check at the grocery store, it clears.

FoxyliciousKhat
Sep 28th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I don't think Nike need to cut Maria or give her a pep talk.

I think Maria just need to be given some more time and patience to find her way back to her winning ways and she will. People wrote off Venus and Serena when they struggled to win anything for a bit also and look at them now. Some may argue not Venus as much but obviously that depends on who you speak with and how objective one can be.

I agree they will be a little more lenient with Maria than some may like, but that's life, you win some and you lose some.

Still I feel that often times we are to harsh with athletes and we've got to remember they cut and bleed like us, with emotions like ours and just like we often need some time to work things out they do as well, even if it taking longer than we wish or hope.

Foxy

edificio
Sep 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I didn't know Nike was famous for its pep talks.

Maria has a contract, probably with incentives. I think she knows that, her agent knows that, and Nike knows that. Why bother with a pep talk?

I'll give her some meaningless advice, though. Time to reinvent the game, Maria. Try to do more than hit hard and serve big. She'll be back, and I bet she can win another slam. It will just take a little luck, a fortunate draw, and good preparation. From my perspective, she's always been a bit overhyped, but she still has shown more fortitude and strength than some other top players (Kuznetsova is an incredible underachiever).

rjd1111
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:39 AM

That is the question that has whole world baffled

Vartan
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Maria and her agents know how to milk the sponsors.

rjd1111
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:48 AM

But to a lot of casual or nonfans out there, Serena or Venus are, unfortunately (IMO, because if you don't follow closely enough to see how delightfully different they are you are missing out) "one of those two sisters who play tennis." And Maria is "that pretty girl who plays tennis." (Which is not to say that V & S aren't pretty, or that other players aren't prettier than TOB. But that's the impression I get from my nontennis fan friends).

If you put Venus and Serena together then Maria doesn't get

paid more. They beat her by about 13 Mil a year.

The last forbes list had them at:

Maria.....$23+ mil

Serena....$20+

Venus ....$15+

FYI There was a bigger gap between Maria and

the Sisters last year.

Serena & Venus are catching up.

brickhousesupporter
Sep 29th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I didn't know Nike was famous for its pep talks.

Maria has a contract, probably with incentives. I think she knows that, her agent knows that, and Nike knows that. Why bother with a pep talk?

I'll give her some meaningless advice, though. Time to reinvent the game, Maria. Try to do more than hit hard and serve big. She'll be back, and I bet she can win another slam. It will just take a little luck, a fortunate draw, and good preparation. From my perspective, she's always been a bit overhyped, but she still has shown more fortitude and strength than some other top players (Kuznetsova is an incredible underachiever).
That is what I don't think people understand. Maria is probably not going to see half of that money with the way she is playing.

Sp!ffy
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:23 AM
What does this thread have anything to do with Serena Williams?

Cakeisgood
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:25 AM

Maria.....$23+ mil

Serena....$20+

Venus ....$15+

the Sisters last year.

:weirdo: That has nothing to do with anything.

Cakeisgood
Sep 29th, 2010, 01:27 AM

Serena is sponsored by Nike (probably her biggest).

tennnisfannn
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:09 AM

Maria.....$23+ mil

Serena....$20+

Venus ....$15+

the Sisters last year.

Venus must be quite industrious, i don't undersatnd how she consistently is behind maria and serena who get the bulk of their money from Nike. Venus does nt have amajor sponsor yet she continues to do wll even in her twilight years.

Rome
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Venus must be quite industrious, i don't undersatnd how she consistently is behind maria and serena who get the bulk of their money from Nike. Venus does nt have amajor sponsor yet she continues to do wll even in her twilight years.

It's called investments.

Gawain
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Then Masha would make a sexy face and say: "Look at this face. It used to say 'Nike'. But it can say whatever I want. capiche?'

Nikeboys just gotta know their job: throw money at Masha and shut the hell up.

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:47 AM
What does this thread have anything to do with Serena Williams?

Nike gave Serena a pep talk before the Australian Open 2007. 4 years and 6 slam wins later... ;) You would know this if you read the first post.:D

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Then Masha would make a sexy face and say: "Look at this face. It used to say 'Nike'. But it can say whatever I want. capiche?'

Nikeboys just gotta know their job: throw money at Masha and shut the hell up.

if you think they'll keep throwing the same amount of money at someone who isn't raking in what they expected..then it's a good thing you don't run nike :lol:

Olórin
Sep 29th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Maria and her agents know how to milk the sponsors.

Good for them, I've got to believe her team can collectively do something well.

Thkmra
Sep 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM

WTF has Pova done?

...and even that was is just the TIP of the Iceberg!! Some people should close thier mouths before they look even more foolish than they already are!!:rolleyes:

DownInAHole
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Eh, I really do not think a pep talk will help Maria much. I really don't know what happened to her game, probably the serve. If she can get that back then I expect her to be back in the top three and winning the odd slam. Realistically the talent pool has probably gotten shallower since Maria's prime years so if she does get her game back she could potentially win more slams than she already has. I don't think she will ever win the French Open but I could see her winning two of the other three slams in a single year.

terjw
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM

I'm suspicious of this claim that Sam Smith said this. I don't doubt she mentioned those three players as being recognizable worldwide - but I really have a hard time believing that she said they were the only players. Not saying you just completely made this up but you may have taken something she said out of context.

Have you anything to corroborate this. Does anyone else remember Sam saying this? Because I just can't accept this just like that solely on the say so of yourself. I mean I'm from England - and to effectively say that Venus and Serena aren't widely known outside the tennis community is ridiculous.

terjw
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
That is :bs: & Sam Smith who ever that is is totally clueless.

So you think the post is bullshit but believe that bit in what you say is a BS post about what Sam Smith said that as the gospel truth without question and call her clueless. She's a million times more clued up than you pal. But logic isn't your strong point. :tape:

it-girl
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM
So you think the post is bullshit but believe that bit in what you say is a BS post about what Sam Smith said that as the gospel truth without question and call her clueless. She's a million times more clued up than you pal. But logic isn't your strong point. :tape:Your 1st mistake was acting as if you know me, which you do not. Secondly if I wanted your input on my post I would have personally asked for it before I posted it. As for logic, the fact that once again you don't know a THING about me proves how idiotic your response and your general outlook is. You like to analyze so many poster's responses to threads far too much. This is a forum where people can post their opinion's & if you don't like it then whoop te do.

terjw
Sep 29th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Your 1st mistake was acting as if you know me, which you do not. Secondly if I wanted your input on my post I would have personally asked for it before I posted it. As for logic, the fact that once again you don't know a THING about me proves how idiotic your response and your general outlook is. You like to analyze so many poster's responses to threads far too much. This is a forum where people can post their opinion's & if you don't like it then whoop te do.

What I do know about you is that you is that your post is daft and contradictory and you haven't even heard of Sam Smith. :lol: This is a forum and when you make stupid contradictory posts - you get input whether you asked for it or not. If you call someone who is well respected and you admit know nothing about clueless - it reflects on how clueless and ignorant you are.

it-girl
Sep 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM
What I do know about you is that you is that your post is daft and contradictory and you haven't even heard of Sam Smith. :lol: This is a forum and when you make stupid contradictory posts - you get input whether you asked for it or not. If you call someone who is well respected and you admit know nothing about clueless - it reflects on how clueless and ignorant you are.If a person makes a statement based on facts that is one thing but when a person like Sam Smith makes a public statement like that without the true knowledge or research to back it up that is when they become clueless. Because that is Sam Smith's opinion not a fact. Respected or not if you have not spoke with every single person on this planet to confirm that your opinion is in fact true, then as a public figure you should only focus on what you know to be true instead of speculation.

And if you do want to state your opinion at least let it be known that this is your OPINION. The fact that you are even willing to justify their right to state their opinion on something that has never been proven to be true and then want to critcise mine shows me how limited your logic really is. I stated my opinion and it still remains the same. You are ignorant & naive to believe that because a person is well respected as you say that it makes their opinion fact and you do not have to know a person to know when they are making a statement that clearly is not a fact.

terjw
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM
If a person makes a statement based on facts that is one thing but when a person like Sam Smith makes a public statement like that without the true knowledge or research to back it up that is when they become clueless. Because that is Sam Smith's opinion not a fact. Respected or not if you have not spoke with every single person on this planet to confirm that your opinion is in fact true, then as a public figure you should only focus on what you know to be true instead of speculation.

And if you do want to state your opinion at least let it be known that this is your OPINION. The fact that you are even willing to justify their right to state their opinion on something that has never been proven to be true and then want to critcise mine shows me how limited your logic really is. I stated my opinion and it still remains the same. You are ignorant & naive to believe that because a person is well respected as you say that it makes their opinion fact and you do not have to know a person to know when they are making a statement that clearly is not a fact.

OMG - try to keep up. How do you know Sam Smith ever said this? The only person who has claimed she did - made it in what you said made a BS post. Why if you think the post was BS do you still continue to believe the bit in that post that Sam said this? You still have not answered this question. No I am not ignorant and naive and why do you think that I believe Sam made those statement and would believe a poster rather than what I know Sam is like. Unless you have proof Sam made this statement - you are the one who is ignorant and naive.

it-girl
Sep 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM
OMG - keep up. How do you know Sam Smith ever said this? The only person who has claimed she did - made it in what you said made a BS post. Why if you think the post was BS do you believe the bit in that post that Sam said this? You still have not amswered this question. No I am not ignorant and naive and why do you think that I believe Sam made those statement and would believe a poster rather than what I know Sam is like. Unless you have proof Sam made this statement - you are the one who is ignorant and naive.Clearly you did not read throughout this thread and yet you want to analyze a person's post. Just go away, I am no longer interested, your mental capacity is too low to keep me interested. You could have at least read the information if you are going to talk about it. Your problem is that you jump before knowing & it makes you look...well dumb. This conversation with you is history, I intend to keep my high iq.

nadal_slam_king
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM
How old is Sharapova? I heard she lied about her age early in her career. She looks at least 30.

Vartan
Sep 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Okay...

Joelina
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:04 PM

WTF has Pova done?

Maria has this and more and she is even younger.

some of my friends know Serena only as a sister of Venus or the famous Williams sisters duo, but thatīs all, they donīt know how many grandslams she won or how good player she really is. they know much more about Masha, and they even donīt need to know that she sucks right now. I remember all her commercials with Lady Speed Stick in my country. Iīve never seen Serena in commercial so in my country is Maria way bigger star than Serena. donīt know how itīs in US.

miffedmax
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM

Maria.....$23+ mil

Serena....$20+

Venus ....$15+

the Sisters last year.

I think if anything this supports my original contention. The sisters cannabalize from each other. If there was just Serena, no Venus (and we assume she was just as successful, I think Serena would pick up a big chunk of that Venus money.

madmax
Sep 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM

some of my friends know Serena only as a sister of Venus or the famous Williams sisters duo, but thatīs all, they donīt know how many grandslams she won or how good player she really is. they know much more about Masha, and they even donīt need to know that she sucks right now. I remember all her commercials with Lady Speed Stick in my country. Iīve never seen Serena in commercial so in my country is Maria way bigger star than Serena. donīt know how itīs in US.

:worship:I swear sometimes people on this board amaze me with their irrational and unfounded hating towards certain players. I mean, why is it so hard for some to acknowledge that Maria is the best paid and most recognizable female tennis star? Casual tennis fans don't really care about the amount of GS wins - this stuff is only discussed between die hard fanatics. And as far as endorsements go - Maria > anyone else. Yet some still feel the need to discuss the most obvious facts:rolleyes:

brickhousesupporter
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Show me....surely there must be videos of her doing this and more.

serenafan08
Sep 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM
For me the point has passed already. After 2009, she should have had a pep talk. She hasn't been past the fourth round of a Grand Slam in 3 years. She's winning smaller tournaments, but hasn't been able to beat the better players. This is what makes me so upset. This girl isn't even American - she's RUSSIAN. But because she's white, tall, blonde, and skinny, she gets all the attention. Never mind that Serena is setting records and will go down as a legend in women's tennis. Sex sells. And America is still predominately white. So Nike is giving America what it wants - a sex symbol. :shrug:

machinist
Oct 4th, 2010, 04:10 PM
They should sign Jovanovski or Robson instead.

brickhousesupporter
Oct 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I was giving her until Aus Open 2011, but I may have to rethink that after this horrific loss. Hope she gets her act together.

miffedmax
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I was giving her until Aus Open 2011, but I may have to rethink that after this horrific loss. Hope she gets her act together.

No, no, no. She lost to Elena VESNINA. Not Elena DEMENTIEVA.

Serenita
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM
http://thesportsclown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/your-fired.jpg (http://thesportsclown.com/?attachment_id=473)

JadeFox
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM
For me the point has passed already. After 2009, she should have had a pep talk. She hasn't been past the fourth round of a Grand Slam in 3 years. She's winning smaller tournaments, but hasn't been able to beat the better players. This is what makes me so upset. This girl isn't even American - she's RUSSIAN. But because she's white, tall, blonde, and skinny, she gets all the attention. Never mind that Serena is setting records and will go down as a legend in women's tennis. Sex sells. And America is still predominately white. So Nike is giving America what it wants - a sex symbol. :shrug:

What you're saying is odd. Serena was just on Oprah for fuck's sake. She's constantly being papped(and have just recently been seen out with Common again), she gets invited to many events, fashion shows, parties, and at this point is a household name.

Maria hasn't really been on the Hollywood scene lately and her relationship with Sacha doesn't get much press. And she doesn't even do that many sexy photoshoots. At this point, right now, Serena is getting more attention than Maria. So yeah I think you're assertion is very wrong.

jefrilibra
Oct 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM

Sweet Jesus Baby! :rolls:

brickhousesupporter
Oct 5th, 2010, 08:31 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/2uzqhsm.jpg

Maybe I have more faith in your fave than you do.

BuTtErFrEnA
Oct 5th, 2010, 08:40 PM

:rolls:

stangtennis
Oct 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
http://thesportsclown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/your-fired.jpg (http://thesportsclown.com/?attachment_id=473)
http://topschoolfundraisers.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/youre-fired.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SrIpzXEDpQI/AAAAAAAAKrA/xpwsQy8u1Qg/s400/trump-serena-gucci.jpg

http://www.seoghoer.dk/Nyheder/Kendte%20DK/%7E/media/Se%20og%20Hoer/2010/Kendte%20DK/September/wozniacki%20trump%20jpg.ashx

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/33/fullj.36372d4e427416f9dbe0980d5d2be17c/36372d4e427416f9dbe0980d5d2be17c-getty-ten-us_open-sharapova.jpg

spartanfan
Oct 5th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Well Nike is getting what it deserves, they knew she was defective when they signed her and still did it.

Melly Flew Us
Jan 16th, 2011, 02:11 AM
As the "best of the rest", yes, perhaps but still a long way behind.
i was feeling sorry for you because everybody was mocking you.

now i see that you are getting what you deserve.

alfonsojose
Jan 16th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Under Armour will get Pova :p

alfonsojose
Jan 16th, 2011, 02:44 AM
http://topschoolfundraisers.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/youre-fired.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/SrIpzXEDpQI/AAAAAAAAKrA/xpwsQy8u1Qg/s400/trump-serena-gucci.jpg

http://www.seoghoer.dk/Nyheder/Kendte%20DK/%7E/media/Se%20og%20Hoer/2010/Kendte%20DK/September/wozniacki%20trump%20jpg.ashx

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/33/fullj.36372d4e427416f9dbe0980d5d2be17c/36372d4e427416f9dbe0980d5d2be17c-getty-ten-us_open-sharapova.jpg

Wozniacki looks like a blonde Hingis on that pic :eek:

earthcrystal
Jan 16th, 2011, 06:06 AM

This.

No one @ Nike is gonna say shyte to Maria, except "please sign here...and here...thank you Ms. Sharapova."

ETA: I didn't read this whole thread. No point. If people mocked this poster, they don't know crap about advertising.

thegreendestiny
Jan 16th, 2011, 06:40 AM

I disagree. Yes, Maria is a blond bombshell but if Serena didn't act and dress like a ghetto princess half the time, she'd probably get more attention and admiration that she is currently receiving right now.

dreamgoddess099
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
This world is full of cliches, white earn more then blacks, tall more then short, handsome more then ugly and stuff like that. You can't possibly be so naive to believe in the so-called equality, do you?

yup, the only fact that you have is that America >>> the rest of the World:wavey:
As Monzanator said, life is unfair and sucks but that's reality. Interesting how when it comes to race prejudice is not only accepted (including by many like Monzanator who see it but pretend it's not there or downplay it's effects), but vigorously defended like some kind of universal totem pole that everyone should acknowledge and conform to. However when it comes to nationalism, something that seems important to YOU, America being a very powerful country(if not the most), becomes a problem for you and you are quick to suddenly rebel against the idea of universal totem poles. Oh how quickly the circumstances change.

There are none and nor do there ever have to be. When you tell a majority what they want to hear, you'll seldom get many disputes. A lot of people want to believe it simply because in their minds that's how they think it should be.

Saying that Maria got to where she is now only because she is blond and tall is unfair and prejudicial.
Sorry, I don't think you understand, Maria's tall blond looks are not being held against her in the marketing world so you couldn't possibly call that prejudice. Now saying that a woman is less marketable meaning people are less likely to buy products from her because she doesn't have the "right" skin color definitely fits the bill. No matter how true or false that last statement was, it's still ignorant to hold things like that against someone and in the same breathe have the nerve to say we are all born with the same opportunities. And let's be honest, there has never been one shred of evidence or stat that proves Maria sells anything better than Serena. Not tennis gear, tickets, rating, household products, feminine products, ect. All we have is circumstantial evidence such as number of endorsements, however the gap isn't big enough to conclude that one is head and shoulders better than the other at getting them.

MB.
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:16 AM
...2 years ago.

The Masha GS ship has loooon sailed. She should hail it an achievement to get to a SF of one, but I doubt that would happen. She'll always be the MM queen, though! :hug:

dreamgoddess099
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I disagree. Yes, Maria is a blond bombshell but if Serena didn't act and dress like a ghetto princess half the time, she'd probably get more attention and admiration that she is currently receiving right now.

Please define ghetto princess? And then explain to me how Serena is a bigger one than Maria. Last time I heard, Maria wasn't exactly raised in the lap of luxury.

serenafan08
Jan 27th, 2011, 12:44 AM

What you're saying is odd. Serena was just on Oprah for fuck's sake. She's constantly being papped(and have just recently been seen out with Common again), she gets invited to many events, fashion shows, parties, and at this point is a household name.

Maria hasn't really been on the Hollywood scene lately and her relationship with Sacha doesn't get much press. And she doesn't even do that many sexy photoshoots. At this point, right now, Serena is getting more attention than Maria. So yeah I think you're assertion is very wrong.

Both of y'all are idiots. We are talking about Nike, not about the players' overall reputation. When Nike runs a print ad for women's tennis, who do they use? Usually Maria, and it's because she is white, tall, blonde, and speaks really good English. We aren't talking about popularity, we are talking about whether or not Maria should still be endorsed by Nike when she clearly isn't doing anything worth mentioning on the court.

NeoZod19
Jan 27th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Don't you ever give up!!!

RenaSlam.
Jan 27th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Play like you used to.

viele
Jan 27th, 2011, 01:31 AM

Ghetto princess? Wow! This is a great message. I'll make sure to tell the children in my neighborhood that they must conform their personality and way of dressing to that of the world at large or they will be negatively tagged as "ghetto" and denied the success they have rightfully earned. :rolleyes:

Serenus Christ
Apr 1st, 2011, 05:26 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfljztmmYE1qa4wy2.gif

I bet Nike are hating on the Miami final line-up!

gc-spurs
Apr 1st, 2011, 05:42 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfljztmmYE1qa4wy2.gif

I bet Nike are hating on the Miami final line-up!

They hate it as much as Head.

Vartan
Apr 1st, 2011, 05:50 AM
:lol: too early for the bump, me thinks.

Stamp Paid
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:36 AM
This could be epic. Yes.....

JamieOwen3
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
Nike win whichever player wins :lol:
:) the two players who appeared in the Champion of Champions Exhibition battle to be Nike's #1 IT Girl.Even though it's still Maria between the two win or lose and her clothing range shows that.

So Disrespectful
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM
Obviously they already gave her the pep talk :shrug:.

LCS
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM

:lol: :lol:

brickhousesupporter
Apr 2nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Well, atleast Nike had one player that represented them well today. :lol:

brickhousesupporter
Apr 2nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
This.....