PDA

View Full Version : Will Maria ever be in a TOP 5 again?

WTAtennisfan15
Sep 27th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Will she ever reach to Top 5 in the overall rankings, or is this just a rollercoaster season for her?

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 27th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Let her work on getting back into the top 15/20 first.

faboozadoo15
Sep 27th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I had been thinking she was on an upward trend and only losing to really good players..... until this.

This loss is so uncharacteristically bad, deplorably bad, inexplicably bad.

This is the type of loss that really makes me think she won't get back to the top of the game. She doesn't play often enough for this type of thing to be shrugged off.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Honestly? I think it is possible. But in saying it is possible I also want to make it very clear I do not consider it a foregone conclusion. It is something that might happen but equally it is something that might not happen.

Also I have to say very strongly it is clear to me and has been for some time that she is not of top 5 standard or even terribly close right now, although that said she is still capable of having good days. But being top 5 means having those types of days regularly and right now Sharapova is not at that point. As for next year and the year after and even the year after that, who knows. We can only wait and see.

spartanfan
Sep 27th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Do we all still think her shoulder is to blame? No good shoulder, no serve. No serve = average player. If she no longer believes her biggest weapon is there for her, then she can't have much confidence about the rest of her game.

hurricanejeanne
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Her only chance is to get over the mental issue she developed with her serve post-shoulder surgery. She has a chance of course, but she's going to have to sort a lot of things out to get there again. And the longer it takes her to get over the hump, the smaller her chances become.

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Will she ever reach to Top 5 in the overall rankings, or is this just another bad season for her?

Sorry, but wasn't last season technically better? She made a Slam quarterfinal (winning 7 GS matches in 3 events while she only won 8 in 4 this year) and won a Premier event (only MMs this year).

WTAtennisfan15
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Sorry, but wasn't last season technically better? She made a Slam quarterfinal (winning 7 GS matches in 3 events while she only won 8 in 4 this year) and won a Premier event (only MMs this year).

Yeah, maybe i could describe this season as a rollercoaster season!

faboozadoo15
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM

:tape: I mean I guess she'll have her chances in Beijing and Moscow to get a premier.

She made some finals this year too.

Slutiana
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Do we all still think her shoulder is to blame? No good shoulder, no serve. No serve = average player. If she no longer believes her biggest weapon is there for her, then she can't have much confidence about the rest of her game.
The serve is only a small part of the problem.

I find it hilarious to see people writing off a 3-time slam champion at only 23 years old.

Aravanecaravan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM
No threads for whether GOATs Kleybanova or Groth will ever win a match again?

The WTA is so up and down anymore that it's become almost a week to week proposition as to who's up and who's not. The days of players having dominant seasons like Court, King, Evert, Navratilova, Graf are gone until the players' bodies catch up, physically, with the physical demands of playing the kind of punishing tennis they play now. Serena knows better than to play week to week--she just cherry picks majors. Clijsters caught on to that. That will probably be the wave of the future.

Newsflash--Maria is never going to be a dominating No. 1 like all the tennis analysts once predicted. Big deal. Tennis hasn't had a dominant #1 since Graf. It's no big loss. What will be a big loss is if she can't get her mojo back in the big ones.

Will Sharapova win more majors? Yeah, I think so. Will she get back to No. 1? Maybe. I think she's a better pure talent than any of the players of her generation or younger. The losses come when she doubles the UEs of her opponents. Her game is too high risk for her level of confidence at the moment, and that is where Joyce needs to step in and make some changes.

Joelina
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:25 PM
sure, next year

Vartan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Obviously not, she is washed up, Martha Doublefaultapoova is so OVA.

tonybotz
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:30 PM
The serve is only a small part of the problem.

I find it hilarious to see people writing off a 3-time slam champion at only 23 years old.

seles, a 9 time champion, was finished winning slams at 23. and martina hingis, 5 time champion, was finished before then.

sharapova doesn't move nearly as well as she used to, and her getting older is not going to help in that area.

Vartan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM
sure, next year

We thought she would hold a slam title this year at this point in time last year.

seles, a 9 time champion, was finished winning slams at 23. and martina hingis, 5 time champion, was finished before then.

sharapova doesn't move nearly as well as she used to, and her getting older is not going to help in that area.

Her footwork did seem to improve with the hiring of Ana's old physio, there is hope. I just wish she got a new point of view in her coaching team.

Mistress of Evil
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Eventually.

itzhak
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Sure she can and probably she will be there.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Her footwork did seem to improve with the hiring of Ana's old physio, there is hope. I just wish she got a new point of view in her coaching team.

He is not talking about footwork. He is talking about her movement.

In 2005 -

_hMiIepHg_4

In 2010 -

M0ORFXqdBNA

Anything closer to the line, and she has to go for an extremely high risk shot (if she can even reach it these days), since she surely is not in position to hit a second shot. She is over a step slower now.

mariavikafan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Things can change pretty quickly in tennis Maria right now is suffering but she can clearly come back at the top. She need a lil bit more time.

justineheninfan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:45 PM
The WTA rankings often end up wierd and not reflective of the true pecking order in the game at a given time. So with that in mind yeah maybe she could be ranked by the computer in the top 5 again, though I still wouldnt be surprised if she didnt. She will never win another slam though.

justineheninfan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM
He is not talking about footwork.

In 2005 -

_hMiIepHg_4

In 2010

M0ORFXqdBNA

Anything closer to the line, and she has to go for an extremely high risk shot (if she can even reach it these days), since she surely is not in position to hit a second shot. She is over a step slower now.

Being over a step slower is bad news for her since she was never a great mover even back when at her best. That is putting her closer to prime Davenport territory though (in her prime she was atleast a significantly better mover than Davenport).

mariavikafan
Sep 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Haters are coming:lol:

Gdsimmons
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I never say never in tennis, but its looking mighty grim

denny5576
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Glad to see a thinking person.

Olórin
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Her consistency appears to be totally shot. On the balance of probabilities - probably not.

denny5576
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Why not?
Win / loss against TOP-10 during this year:
Maria: 2 3
Serena: 1 3
Karo: 2 2
JJ: 3 2

Diesel
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:26 PM
No, she won't.

danieln1
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Her serve went downhill, that led to a downfall in her overall game and so far, her career has not been even close to what it was before the surgery...

I want her to win slams again, but at this time, this is just as same Ana winning a slam right now... I think even Jankovic has a better chance today to win a slam than Maria, unfortunately...

sweetpeas
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Yep!

Olórin
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Why not?
Win / loss against TOP-10 during this year:
Maria: 2 3
Serena: 1 3
Karo: 2 2
JJ: 3 2

Perhaps because ranking isn't determined by the number of top players you beat or lose to over a 12 month period; but by how far you go in the events with the most points. When you can't string two good wins together, it becomes somewhat of a hindrance to getting a high ranking.

Craig.
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I'm one of Maria's biggest fans here, but I'll be honest. She's a great player no doubt, but even I sometimes find her to be overrated :shrug: I guess when you're such a huge fan of a player, you're a bit more blinded and just believe that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I watch some of her matches sometimes and I ask myself, wow this girl won 3 slams? :lol: Whatever, maybe I'm just disgusted that it's come to this that I'm not giving her enough credit but I dunno.

She used to win big and tough it out when things were going wrong because she was so mentally tough. She's lost that, that edge she had against almost every player not named Serena. I haven't seen the overconfident bitchy ice queen on court in years. And for her to win big again, she needs to have that back as a weapon.

NeoZod19
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm a great supporter of a hard worker sush us Maria considering her coming back from surgery but I don't think she WILL ever come back in TOP 5 anymore. I doubt it very much.:sad:

goldenlox
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Getting to 2 straight Premier finals this summer shows she can still compile points.
And she stayed healthy for most of this year.

It wouldnt be a surprise for Maria to get back there.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Aside from her MM's Maria has made it past the QFs of any other tournament only twice in the past 12 months :shrug: Its not like she is injured now, she said back in May that she feels fine and recovered.

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I'm one of Maria's biggest fans here, but I'll be honest. She's a great player no doubt, but even I sometimes find her to be overrated :shrug: I guess when you're such a huge fan of a player, you're a bit more blinded and just believe that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I watch some of her matches sometimes and I ask myself, wow this girl won 3 slams? :lol: Whatever, maybe I'm just disgusted that it's come to this that I'm not giving her enough credit but I dunno.

She used to win big and tough it out when things were going wrong because she was so mentally tough. She's lost that, that edge she had against almost every player not named Serena. I haven't seen the overconfident bitchy ice queen on court in years. And for her to win big again, she needs to have that back as a weapon.

Correction... when she was winning, she was a confident bitchy ice queen (your own words), now she is an overconfident bitchy ice queen sans the game and paying for it.

Slutiana
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:59 PM

It's still silly to write her off a year and a half into the comeback.

And it's a bad comparison, anyway. You can't compare Maria to Seles. Seles was STABBED. She never got back to the mental or physical level of her previous career as a result. And for both Seles and Hingis, the game improved immensely from when they were winning slams. They still played great tennis, just not great enough.

Maria doesn't even have to play anywhere close to her former level. The tour has moved backwards since her glory days. She just needs to play well.

Craig.
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Correction... when she was winning, she was a confident bitchy ice queen (your own words), now she is an overconfident bitchy ice queen sans the game and paying for it.

By overconfident, I meant that she just oozed cockiness :lol: I didn't mean it in a negative way. I agree with your post though.

Londoner
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Top 5? No.

The Dawntreader
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Sharapova needs to regroup badly right now. It's gone way past the stage of 'rustiness' or 'lack of sharpness due to inactivity'. Unfortunately for her, she seems completely unable to conjure up any kind of form she showed even 2 years ago. Everything is so erratic, bitty, completely alien to how Sharapova used to play.

That USO match kinda summised it for me. Against a fairly benign match-up for her in her peak, she would've swamped Wozniacki. Instead we just got a slew of ugly, inopportune errors at all the wrong moments.

It's a bad combination of issues right now, in terms of her actual physical tennis and her mental state. 2011 will almost be make or break.

NeoZod19
Sep 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Maria, get help!!!:fiery:

jimmy_the_greek
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:40 PM
yes, but needs to lift her game dramatically! we all know what she is capable of so i wouldn't say its impossible.

rjd1111
Sep 28th, 2010, 05:47 AM

Everytme she loses her fans use the Shoulder Spartanfan:

Its been 3 years! how long will her fans use Shoulder excuse

for a simple, 20 minute, successful, orthroscopic surgery:

Sharapova:

Dr. Altcheck performed a minor arthroscopic surgery that lasted 22 minutes on my right shoulder.The procedure was successful and very simple. I left the hospital a few hours after the procedure and flew to my home in Florida for 3 days and then I flew back to Phoenix to start working on my shoulder. The 10 weeks of shoulder strength before the procedure really helped the shoulder heal quicker. Dr. Altcheck thought my recovery would be very fast and he was right. I had full range of motion after 14 days, after 6 weeks I was throwing a foot ball and after 8 weeks I was back on the court where I belong

samsam4087
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:06 AM
She has already passed her peak.

goldlion
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:19 AM
She might have a good run next week, you never know. But surely this loss is an alert for her.

I'd be more than happy for her if she can finish the season with some highlights

But if not, I'm looking forward to 2011. Hopefully things will start going fine for her.

2010 has really been the shittest year for her since she turned pro.

She occasionally played well but then fell when the most important moments came.

She just didn't perform well enough in big events. And that's why her ranking drops.

Just when you think she can defend part of the points, she either withdrew from the tournament, terribly played or lost in the 1R. Best examples is the US Open series. Just when she was so close to winning the title and head off to another Premier Event, she blew it away and withdrew from injury. That's not helping her at all.

justineheninfan
Sep 28th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Maria doesn't even have to play anywhere close to her former level. The tour has moved backwards since her glory days. She just needs to play well.

That just means the womens game has to get better from here. After all it cant possibly get any worse.

And there is no evidence of Seles winning slams past the point of her final one in Australia 1996 even without the stabbing. At best scenario though her final one would probably have been maybe say the 1998 French when she still would be only 23. From 1996-early 1998 she had injuries and personal crisis (father) in addition to Graf and Hingis being the dominant players and winning all the slams. And after that point she recovered some form with the problems behind here but was a bit past her prime and all the power hitters who were bad matchups for her game began to come on then anyway.

Players that blossom especialy quickly as teenagers like Hingis, Seles, Austin, Sabatini, tend to be done improving before their mid 20s. It looks like Maria is no exception.

moby
Sep 28th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Yes. In fact, she might be in one even as we speak.

http://oi52.tinypic.com/2qd031u.jpg

Cakeisgood
Sep 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Yes. In fact, she might be in one even as we speak.

http://oi52.tinypic.com/2qd031u.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

WTAtennisfan15
Sep 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Omg, ok stay in the topic! :haha: