PDA

View Full Version : What's the point? Nobody in the stands....

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 27th, 2010, 12:12 AM
...Why not hod events in places where people want to see tennis? What's the point of this MM event in China? Shamefull...

Jane Lane
Sep 27th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Next year we've got one in Baku.
Even better.

young_gunner913
Sep 27th, 2010, 12:29 AM
This thread was already made... like 5 times. FFS people. Check around.

Noctis
Sep 27th, 2010, 12:38 AM
You haven't even been to one probaly.

Kipling
Sep 27th, 2010, 12:42 AM
We just got TV coverage of it on TTC this week. It was pitiful. We hear all the time how Asia is the new hotbed of tennis and how the Asian fans turn out for the players. Well, apparently they overslept last week. I can't see the "Asian Pacific Open" ever leaving Melbourne for China.

Ryan
Sep 27th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Money talks. Unfortunately.

tennnisfannn
Sep 27th, 2010, 01:25 AM
This is true of every wta tourny nowdays anyway.

TennisFan66
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:37 AM
^^ Is it? Funny I could have sworn I saw quite good attendance at tournaments in Copenhagen, Montreal and New Haven. Those were the tournments I followed pre USO, so cannot speak for others.

Anyway, I am sure you are right. WTA is RIP and womens tennis is dead and noone will ever go watch a womens tennis match again.

PS. How was attendance during this years USO btw?

Londoner
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Actually I agree with the OP. There are hardly any WTA events in Britain. Eastbourne was packed, Wimbledon is always packed - you can never get tickets, the ATP EYC (albeit for the mens) sells out in hours. I'm sure there is room for another big WTA tournament in Britain - and probably some other countries, and I wish they would take the chance and hold one here. It would be great to have an idoor event (as per Brighton many years ago).

TennisFan66
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Actually I agree with the OP. There are hardly any WTA events in Britain. Eastbourne was packed, Wimbledon is always packed - you can never get tickets, the ATP EYC (albeit for the mens) sells out in hours. I'm sure there is room for another big WTA tournament in Britain - and probably some other countries, and I wish they would take the chance and hold one here. It would be great to have an idoor event (as per Brighton many years ago).

Leaving the issue that attendance is a fairly small % of a tournaments combined income aside, I agree with you. From a pure attendance point of view, Britain could easily fill seats for another WTA Premier event. But as sponsorship goes, well unfortunately a lot of the money available is in Asia and Middle East .. Unless there is found oil in/near B'ham, I dont see that event upgraded anytime soon.

Brings you onto another issue. When/where/what surface. There isn't any indoor season anymore. Grass is a 4 week season, with SW19 taking up half .. you wouldn't play grass post W'don. There aren't many clay courts. Sooooooo?

mk27
Sep 27th, 2010, 11:33 AM
^^ Is it? Funny I could have sworn I saw quite good attendance at tournaments in Copenhagen, Montreal and New Haven. Those were the tournments I followed pre USO, so cannot speak for others.

Copenhagen?
But only when Wozniacki was playing. Other matches had only a few spectators in the stands.

TennisFan66
Sep 27th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Copenhagen?
But only when Wozniacki was playing. Other matches had only a few spectators in the stands.

and round and round we go.

But you are right of course. Copenhagen was a huge failure and should be cancelled from the calendar. Come to think of it, I also remember that during one of the matches in Montreal, the hot dog stand just outside the court had a get-2-for-1 and during that time, I am sure the crowd thinned.

That should be enough 'evidence' to cancel both tournaments from the WTA roadmap and claim victory for the 'WTA RIP' brigade :rolleyes:

Dave.
Sep 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Even Birmingham (a supposed MM) is always packed. I don't think people care too much which gender it is here, any WTA or ATP tournament would be packed. An indoor tournament here would be great (though probably pointless seeing as the indoor season has collapsed).

I wonder how a tournament (WTA) in Ireland or Scotland would do.

Brena
Sep 27th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I know. :( How's Jelena supposed to win this tourney without the crowd's adulation?? Bring on Beijing! :hearts:

MLF
Sep 27th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I wonder how a tournament (WTA) in Ireland or Scotland would do.

In the '90s there was a 3 day exhibition event in Dublin featuring Martina Navratilova, Arantxa Sanchez, Mary Joe Fernandez, Barbara Rittner and 4 others and it was sold out each day. The charity USA v Europe match in Dublin a few years ago was also a sell out.

mykarma
Sep 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM
This thread was already made... like 5 times. FFS people. Check around.
Do you want people to go through all of the threads in GM to see if a thread been created before creating one? That's would be insane. The mods know how to merge thread if necessary. If you have a problem with multiple threads you can stay out of additional ones.

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 27th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Do you want people to go through all of the threads in GM to see if a thread been created before creating one? That's would be insane. The mods know how to merge thread if necessary. If you have a problem with multiple threads you can stay out of additional ones.
I'm ignoring him...let him get back to his TennisForum songwriting career...;)