PDA

View Full Version : Dokic won 1 WTA match in year and a half and she's still in TOP100?

ajmo!
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Jelena's rank: #85
She won one WTA match this year, in Hobart vs. Baltacha. Last win before that was against Sprem on Roland Garros 2009. Is she gonna stick forever on challengers? She is better than that. At the moment she's in Asia ready to win another few 100Ks and she has to cuz she won bunch of them by the end of last year. Why is she playing/winning ony on challengers? Do you think that player with 1 WTA win in 16 months belongs to the TOP100?

Daniel K
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Well she was injured for the first half of the year but yes she needs to step it up or stop next year. There was really no reason why she didn't play Guangzhou + Seoul to get some easy WTA points.

Mashabator
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
We will never know why Jelena doesnt play WTA, but she needs momentumn, to get a couple of wins and keep building. Her 3 consecutive titles at itf's show that, but i hope next year she will play mote WTA :tears"

claypova
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM
she's ITF queen :kiss:

doktor
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Jelena runs the ITF circuit... :shrug:

She's been injured, but she clearly needs to step it up next season. I don't know why her ranking is the one the one thats under fire when there's so many over-ranked players in the game. She's clearly won enough matches to keep her there.

Slutiana
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM
She won one WTA match this year, in Hobart vs. Baltacha. Last win before that was against Sprem on Roland Garros 2009. Is she gonna stick forever on challengers? She is better than that. At the moment she's in Asia ready to win another few 100Ks and she has to cuz she won bunch of them by the end of last year. Why is she playing/winning ony on challengers? Do you think that player with 1 WTA win in 16 months belongs to the TOP100?
:help: You do realise that there is nothing rare or shocking about getting to the top 100 with mostly challenger points?

jimbo mack
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM
she has a lot of points to defend over the next few weeks, she could easily drop out of the top 100 if she doesn't do well

JackFrost
Sep 26th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Do you think that player with 1 WTA win in 16 months belongs to the TOP100?
If she has enough ranking points to be in the top 100, than she belongs there. :shrug:

So Disrespectful
Sep 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
:help: You do realise that there is nothing rare or shocking about getting to the top 100 with mostly challenger points?

Exactly. We can start talking when they reach the top 50, but even then some girls have gotten higher.

See: Martina Muller. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martina_M%C3%BCller)

ajmo!
Sep 26th, 2010, 12:08 PM

You totally missed my point. I did asked that as well but also what do you think about Dokic having only one win on tour in such a long period. Cause she's too good to have only one win and on challengers she can defeat players that won few matches on Tour.
I mean she's done nothing on big tournaments, no matter who she plays.
And again this is DOKIC, not some other player. That's why I posted it.

doktor
Sep 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM
You totally missed my point. I did asked that as well but also what do you think about Dokic having only one win on tour in such a long period. Cause she's too good to have only one win and on challengers she can defeat players that won few matches on Tour.
I mean she's done nothing on big tournaments, no matter who she plays.
And again this is DOKIC, not some other player. That's why I posted it.

She's only played like 6 matches all year at tour level anyway. If she'd played 25 matches and won one i'd understand the interest, and its not like she hasn't won any matches, she won 3 straight ITFs, and still won 22 matches in a horrendous season. I've gotta give her credit for still plugging away - especially as she clearly has an aversion to both playing WTA tournaments and winning the first set.

tennisforadults
Sep 26th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Jelena is better sticking with ITF at the moment. There's nothing wrong with being in the top 100 playing mostly ITF - that's why they award points!!!

Shaun:::
Sep 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM
because she is ITF queen:cheer:

Just Do It
Sep 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Because she's an ITF Queen. I'd rather see her win 3 big ITF tournaments in a row than losing in R1/R2 every week @ WTA events.

Lord Choc Ice
Sep 26th, 2010, 02:46 PM
She ate lots of cheesecake for a while and lost focus but now she's tearing up the ITF circuit and will hopefully make a full schedule assault on the tour next year.

A full schedule of WTA events would be pretty good.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 26th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Exactly. We can start talking when they reach the top 50, but even then some girls have gotten higher.

See: Martina Muller. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martina_M%C3%BCller)

Not actually a very good example. In the period of 2006/7 Muller won a total of 30 main draw WTA matches.

Dave.
Sep 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Because she's an ITF Queen. I'd rather see her win 3 big ITF tournaments in a row than losing in R1/R2 every week @ WTA events.

I think the latter would be far more productive though. When was the last time Jelena actually played 2-3 tour events in succession? Her winning on the ITF circuit is great and all but turning up to a main tour event (and usually it's only a slam or Tier I) every few months isn't going to get it done. I'd like to see her replace these ITF's with Internationals if possible.

Not actually a very good example. In the period of 2006/7 Muller won a total of 30 main draw WTA matches.

Exactly. It's quite common to have players in the top 100 with most of their points from ITF, but I'm interested to know how often it happens when a player only has 1 main draw win.

Anyway, even if she's only got 1 tour level win, I'm glad she's still in the top 100. Goodness knows she deserves a break. I just wish she'd use her ranking more.

Randy H
Sep 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Sandra Zahlavova reached the top 100 at the end of 2009 without winning a tour level main draw match.

Dokic played most of her tournaments this year ranked outside the top 100, so obviously she was going to play mainly in large challengers to get match play and more opportunity for points. Unfortunately for Jelena, when her ranking *has* been high enough to be playing more tour event main draws she's wound up injured.

tennisbum79
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM
she's ITF queen :kiss:
I thouht former top WTA player to ITF as a way to gain their form back and eventually come back to WTA full time.

But it appears Dokic has decided to make a career in the ITF.

cn ireland
Sep 26th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I don't mind her playing (and winning ITFs) for the rest of the year but she really needs to play WTA only next year cos it's the only way she'll improve her level.

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Sandra Zahlavova reached the top 100 at the end of 2009 without winning a tour level main draw match.

Dokic played most of her tournaments this year ranked outside the top 100, so obviously she was going to play mainly in large challengers to get match play and more opportunity for points. Unfortunately for Jelena, when her ranking *has* been high enough to be playing more tour event main draws she's wound up injured.

That's true. But the difference between Zahlavova and Dokic is that Zahlavova was playing pretty much exclusively ITFs as she worked her way into the top 100 but as soon as she there she did start playing some WTA tournaments and indeed winning some WTA matches. This year she has won 8 WTA main draw matches.

Dokic has actually been in the top 100 during the entire 15 month period in which she has won just 1 single WTA main draw match. Additionally she hasn't beaten a single player ranked in the top 120 since January. If this was a player like Meusburger or Mayr you can be sure they would be getting a lot more flak for this than is Dokic too.

spiceboy
Sep 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
There was really no reason why she didn't play Guangzhou + Seoul to get some easy WTA points.

Seoul is one of the toughest International tournaments...

Slutiana
Sep 26th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I think the latter would be far more productive though. When was the last time Jelena actually played 2-3 tour events in succession? Her winning on the ITF circuit is great and all but turning up to a main tour event (and usually it's only a slam or Tier I) every few months isn't going to get it done. I'd like to see her replace these ITF's with Internationals if possible.
Well she was ranked out of the top 100, fat and lacking confidence. She probably didn't feel confident enough to play in tour events. I'm sure she will next year, though.

Dokic has actually been in the top 100 during the entire 15 month period in which she has won just 1 single WTA main draw match. Additionally she hasn't beaten a single player ranked in the top 120 since January. If this was a player like Meusburger or Mayr you can be sure they would be getting a lot more flak for this than is Dokic too.
She hasn't. She dropped out of the top 100 before her ITF run at the end of last year and then she dropped out of it again this year.

Ferg
Sep 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM
If this was any other player people would probably be all 'THE TOUR SUCKS. ITS DEAD WHEN THESE SCRUBS CAN GET INTO TOP 100.'

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 26th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Well she was ranked out of the top 100, fat and lacking confidence. She probably didn't feel confident enough to play in tour events. I'm sure she will next year, though.

She hasn't. She dropped out of the top 100 before her ITF run at the end of last year and then she dropped out of it again this year.

No and Yes. She was actually continuously in the top 100 last year but you are right, this year she was out of the top 100 for 5 months of which 2 of those months she was out of the top 115. Even so I think it is quite difference case to Zahlavova who used ITFs as a means to get to the top 100 and then started to regularly compete in and win WTA matches and Dokic who really hasn't demonstrated at all over the last 18 months that she is capable of competing at a top 100 level at all, indeed she has hardly even attempted to demostate this, making one wonder if she believes she is capable of playing at that level.

doktor
Sep 27th, 2010, 01:35 AM
If this was any other player people would probably be all 'THE TOUR SUCKS. ITS DEAD WHEN THESE SCRUBS CAN GET INTO TOP 100.'

But its not.

GeeTee
Sep 27th, 2010, 02:46 AM
How many WTA MD matches had she won in 2008 before she reached the 2009 AO QF?

Oh - that would be zero..

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 27th, 2010, 03:09 AM
How many WTA MD matches had she won in 2008 before she reached the 2009 AO QF?

Oh - that would be zero..

Are you saying she can turn it on just like that and go on a tear at the biggest tournaments with little or no (meaningful) lead-ups? She is no Serena Williams, as good a player as she can be. Sure, the ITF wins give you confidence but winning on the tour is very different. If I remember correctly, she pulled out some of her ITF wins by the narrowest of margins as well (3rd set tiebreaks etc). She would (and has) struggle against any decent tour player who is match-tough.

Don't get me wrong, I loved her AO 2009 run, but it seems like a dream now (funny how we had 2 such stories in 2009 who have struggled since: Dokic and Oudin). She needs to get back to playing Internationals and eventually Premiers etc.

MakarovaFan
Sep 27th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Look how good the 3 consective challengers wins did for her.....a first round QUALIES loss at THE BIG EVENT, winning just 5 games against Laura Robson. Im all for building your game,rank and confidence up but that doesnt seem to be the case(she ended last year with a bang on the challeneger circuit yet that did NOTHING for her game to carry into 2010; same thing this summer).

SM
Sep 27th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Look how good the 3 consective challengers wins did for her.....a first round QUALIES loss at THE BIG EVENT, winning just 5 games against Laura Robson. Im all for building your game,rank and confidence up but that doesnt seem to be the case(she ended last year with a bang on the challeneger circuit yet that did NOTHING for her game to carry into 2010; same thing this summer).
She had a bad day :confused: the issue is that she has now taken lots of time off when she could have played WTA events with weaker fields and maybe gotten a win or two + confidence

Slutiana
Sep 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM
No and Yes. She was actually continuously in the top 100 last year but you are right, this year she was out of the top 100 for 5 months of which 2 of those months she was out of the top 115. Even so I think it is quite difference case to Zahlavova who used ITFs as a means to get to the top 100 and then started to regularly compete in and win WTA matches and Dokic who really hasn't demonstrated at all over the last 18 months that she is capable of competing at a top 100 level at all, indeed she has hardly even attempted to demostate this, making one wonder if she believes she is capable of playing at that level.
But it's also completely dissimilar in the fact that since her AO 2009 she has continued to have setback after setback. Immediately after it was the mono. When she came back, she played WTAs and it was embarassing. She eventually got herself together during the French Open, was on her way to defeating Dementieva and then got that horrible back injury. She came back at Wimbledon playing badly with a fever and it got worse and worse until she felt she had no choice but to play ITFs.

Then in January there was the whole drama with her boyfriend and coach. Following the Australian Open she picked up another injury and when she came back she was overweight and playing badly.

After all that has happened to her, Jelena has become a player whose game is completely tied to her confidence. With all the blows she has suffered since her comeback, it's no wonder that she feels she needs to start again in ITFs every time.

And a lot of people keep on saying "If this was any other player... blah blah blah." But it's because we know her story and we know what she has been through throughout the years. She could have retire long, long ago. But to this day she continues to fight and try her hardest. And so she doesn't deserve criticism for... trying. From where I'm standing, she deserves sympathy and admiration.