PDA

View Full Version : Guangzhou Internationals ON TTC - Empty Stands

tennisbum79
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:13 AM
There can't be anymore 50 people in that statdium.
Maybe 70 if you had line judges and other officials.

It is so quiet, it is errie ... and embarrasing for the WTA

Yea, I know it was 2 weeks ago, but still

Leo_DFP
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I was literally just about to make a thread on this. I don't usually have TTC but I do this weekend. I watched some of the Kudry semi and now the Groth one and there literally is 50 people at most. Almost all of the seats are empty. It looks like a beautiful brand new stadium and facility, but clearly no one was interested in buying tickets.

I think the Bronx challenger had more people in attendance. :o

Leo_DFP
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Have you heard the commentator mention it yet? The cameras keep cutting to wide views of the empty stadium. It's not something you want to have to talk about, but it's so incredibly awkward that you pretty much have to.

I'm actually shocked the tournament didn't BEG the few ticket-holders to sit as close to the court as possible.

tennisbum79
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I was literally just about to make a thread on this. I don't usually have TTC but I do this weekend. I watched some of the Kudry semi and now the Groth one and there literally is 50 people at most. Almost all of the seats are empty. It looks like a beautiful brand new stadium and facility, but clearly no one was interested in buying tickets.

I think the Bronx challenger had more people in attendance. :o
yea, sparkling new facility.

Those who showed all have umbrella, maybe they can't stand the sun.
I understand Chinese women are afraid of getting darker from the sun.
But where are the men?

Leo_DFP
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:37 AM
This tournament is among proof that the WTA was foolish to send so many tournaments in the fall from Europe to Asia. The European fall indoor swing was epic. No more.

iGOAT
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:39 AM
It was actually absurd. And Guangzhou is such a big city. Like I heard for Beijing the government gives schoolkids tickets and tells them to go, so they have fun and the stands get filled. They should've done that here...

On a side not, I saw pictures from the Tashkent final and it was really well-attended, which I would not have expected :yeah:.

tennisbum79
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:41 AM
This tournament is among proof that the WTA was foolish to send so many tournaments in the fall from Europe to Asia. The European fall indoor swing was epic. No more.
Maybe they can make some re-ajustment, send some tournament back to Europe or even in the golf.

This is so embarrasing.
I command this commentator for not staying professionl and not harping on it.

But he sound like he commentating on golf.

goldenlox
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:43 AM
There is an obvious reason why there is an Asian swing. Just like there is Doha and Dubai.

I want to see how these next 2 Tier Is draw.

Its true Guangzhou had no one there

young_gunner913
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:44 AM
You do know Guangzhou is spelled with a Z and not S?

Leo_DFP
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:44 AM
There is an obvious reason why there is an Asian swing. Just like there is Doha and Dubai.

And I think it's a mistake for women's tennis in the long-run.

tennisbum79
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:46 AM
You do know Guangzhou is spelled with a Z and not S?
Fixed.
Thanks for pointing that out

tennisbum79
Sep 26th, 2010, 04:49 AM

Of course the WTA had a good reason for the Asian swing.
As iSzávay mentiond earlier in the thread, other tournaments in Asia are well attented.
Not this one.

If it continues like this, the sponsors will cut their lossesand look elsewhere they can make profit

tennisbum79
Sep 26th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Second semi has attracted more spectators... sort of

goldenlox
Sep 26th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I disagree. The long term schedule is not set in stone.
Right now, this is the place to build fan interest.

slnbb
Sep 26th, 2010, 05:44 AM
i guess it's becoz Jie and Li Na were not there~ they are sort of the reasons why Chinese paid more attention to tennis now ~ with their absence the tournament lost a lot of attraction to the Chinese crowd.

King Halep
Sep 26th, 2010, 05:54 AM

Why?? South China is a huge potential growth market, better than keeping so many events in over-saturated Europe. They just need to advertise it better and have more golden flowers turn up.