PDA

View Full Version : Caro's "906" mission to take number one spot

-NAJ-
Sep 25th, 2010, 11:34 AM
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/9765/carolinewozniackiopendar.jpg

Serena is out of Tokyo and Beijing so Caro needs to make solid results( for her standards) and she will be new number one because last year she lost in R2 Tokyo (1 point) and R1 Beijing (5 points)

Serena 6955
Caro 5910

Serena 6815 after Beijing (6955 - 140 = 6815)

So Wozniacki needs to earn minimum 906/1900(1770) points during Tokyo and Beijing and she will become new number 1
with 905 points she wil have 6815 just like Serena but Serena have better GS results this year so she would have advantage.Serena ( W, QF, W, -), Caroline ( 4R, QF, 4R, SF)
Last year she played Osaka (she got 130 points) so she will lose only 5 even without playing.
with 911(call 911 WTA is burning) points she will be on #1 spot until Doha
Caroline can make 906 points just winning Beijing or if she wins Tokyo and make at least R3 in Beijing

Her road to number 1 can be like this:
T W 775 (900-125) + B R3(one match to win, bye in R1)135 ( 140-5) = 910
T W 775 + B OF 245 = 1020

B W 995 + T R2 = 995

T RU 495 + B SF 445 = 940
T SF 270 + B RU 695 = 965

the best option would be if she wins T and B
T W 775 + B W 995 = 1770

TennisFan66
Sep 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Knowing Caro, she'll do her best in both Tokyo and Beijing .. how many (extra?) points that may be, we'll just have to wait and see.

Going into YEC, if - for sake of arguement - its Serena #1 and Caro #2 OR Caro #1 and Serana #2, it makes NO DIFFERENCE what-so-ever.

At the YEC, Serena has a hell of a lot of points to defend, Caro less so. For the 'bragging rights' and thats really all ranking is, I'd say those bragging rights are greater being the YE #1 ranked rather than during the season.

ideoxo
Sep 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
So Wozniacki needs to earn minimum 906/1900(1770) points during Tokyo and Beijing and she will become new number 1
with 905 points she wil have 6815 just like Serena but Serena have better GS results this year so she would have advantage.Serena ( W, SF, W, W), Caroline ( 4R, QF, 4R, SF)

Serena didn't win US actually she didn't even play but anyway Wozniacki must absolutely NOT go deep in any of these events.

Miss Amor
Sep 25th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I dont even want Venus to be number 1 without a slam :sad:

дalex
Sep 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Can Jelena do it if she wins them all? Jelena's "2906 mission"? :lol:

-NAJ-
Sep 25th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Serena didn't win US actually she didn't even play but anyway Wozniacki must absolutely NOT go deep in any of these events.

error in typing:p

TennisFan66, you have that option in 1st post

T W 775 + B W 995 = 1770

with that she will probably end this year at number one spot unless Kim wins B and Doha

fouc
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:02 PM
her 16th (17th? :unsure:) best result should also be taken into consideration right? cuz when she reaches SF at B ie., she'll lose the points from her last best tournament. :confused:

Lachy
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2h3c3na.jpg

DragonFlame
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:05 PM
This is really interesting! Lets hope caro gives a scare to her haters out there. :lol:

If its like last year and everyone plays like shit during this asian tour i could definetly see her make it with summerform...

Jorn
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:10 PM
cuz if she reaches SF at B ie., she'll lose the points from her last best tournament.

B is mandatory, she she only lose the 5p from last year there...

TennisFan66
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM
her 16th (17th? :unsure:) best result should also be taken into consideration right? cuz when she reaches SF at B ie., she'll lose the points from her last best tournament. :confused:

which I believe is 120 ..

Edit: Lowest non-mandatory for the 16 tournaments incl in the ranking.

error in typing:p

TennisFan66, you have that option in 1st post

T W 775 + B W 995 = 1770with that she will probably end this year at number one spot unless Kim wins B and Doha

Hi NAJ, not quite sure what you mean. Last year Caro had a nasty viral infection while playing Tokyo/Beijing and didn't go far, so its a possibility. We'll see.

tenn_ace
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:12 PM
All sane tennis fans should get on their knees and pray this does NOT happen

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I hope that if she gets the YE No.1 ranking, she does it by winning either Tokyo, Beijing or the Y.E.C. If she doesn't TF is bound to destroy itself.:lol::help:

Miss Amor
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Vera also a chance, no?

PS:- Whats with the armpit stubble?

-NAJ-
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Hi NAJ, not quite sure what you mean. Last year Caro had a nasty viral infection while playing Tokyo/Beijing and didn't go far, so its a possibility. We'll see.

my mistake , i didn't get your post well I thought you are asking about points if she wins B + T
and now I see that i didn't read you post carefully;)

Monzanator
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Well, with Serena playing so few events this year, it was almost inevitable that Caro's overfilled schedulling will have a big chance of coming out on top :shrug:

TennisFan66
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:22 PM
PS:- Whats with the armpit stubble?

why dont you just make it into a gif :rolleyes:

my mistake , i didn't get your post well I thought you are asking about points if she wins B + T
and now I see that i didn't read you post carefully;)

NP. Cheers :)

Lord Choc Ice
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I can't wait until Caro's #1. :p

I have the perfect song for the occasion.
KVp01pdI81I

TennisFan66
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Well, with Serena playing so few events this year, it was almost inevitable that Caro's overfilled schedulling will have a big chance of coming out on top :shrug:

Caro's as a top 10 player is already restricted. But it could be interesting to hear your opinion how many tournaments a player should be allowed to play ....

Its called the WTA Tour. Slams are under the ITF, though still weighing by far the heaviest in the WTA ranking.

So playing the tour is bad. Better for the WTA tour if no players played the tour. YEP. That makes sense.

RG Freak
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:27 PM
:yawn:
All she has to do is to win a few matches then wait for Serena's YEC points coming off.

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Caro's as a top 10 player is already restricted. But it could be interesting to hear your opinion how many tournaments a player should be allowed to play ....

Its called the WTA Tour. Slams are under the ITF, though still weighing by far the heaviest in the WTA ranking.

So playing the tour is bad. Better for the WTA tour if no players played the tour. YEP. That makes sense.

Yes, but you have to admit that Caro is among playing the most tournaments of any Top 10 player. She's young, fit, loves playing, wants to avoid fines and so on. I know. But sometimes I can't help but think that she's not doing what's best for her at times. She got injured in Charleston, but still played Stuttgart, Rome, Madrid & Warsaw before the French Open, (just to avoid a fine?). Health >>> point penalties & loss of monetary benefits, imo.

Monzanator
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:39 PM

I never sad Wozniacki's schedule was bad in first place :shrug: Yes, it's overfilled but she's 20 and capable of playing week-in-week-out and is taking advantage of it (despite some quastionable entries in the clay season post-Charlton ankle injury, but that was only because of the Copenhagen eligibility).

In fact, I'm one of the minority on TF who doesn't hate her for just being there :lol: She's played more matches then anyone in 2009 and is on course to repeat that feat in 2010 as well. That's a fact and has nothing to do with anybody's personal opinion.

But, like I've said with Safina and Jankovic, player who doesn't win a Grand Slam doesn't deserve to be SEWTA #1. If Serena played more events this year, Caro would have not been in position to take over this spot.

TennisFan66
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I never sad Wozniacki's schedule was bad in first place :shrug: Yes, it's overfilled but she's 20 and capable of playing week-in-week-out and is taking advantage of it (despite some quastionable entries in the clay season post-Charlton ankle injury, but that was only because of the Copenhagen eligibility).

In fact, I'm one of the minority on TF who doesn't hate her for just being there :lol: She's played more matches then anyone in 2009 and is on course to repeat that feat in 2010 as well. That's a fact and has nothing to do with anybody's personal opinion.

But, like I've said with Safina and Jankovic, player who doesn't win a Grand Slam doesn't deserve to be SEWTA #1. If Serena played more events this year, Caro would have not been in position to take over this spot.

2009 is a different subject all together. 2010 is whats on the table. She plays the tour. She plays the tournaments she's committed to do and you say its an overfilled schedule. Hence in your opinion, Caro is playing too many tournaments. Then how many would be 'ok' in your opinion?

As for not deserving the WTA#1 ranking. What do you suggest a player who is so unfair to her peers by winning the most ranking points do (if she hasn't also won a slam that year)? ..

It is actually WTA ranking. Slams are under ITF, but leaving that aside. You could lobby the ITF for a 'real' ranking; only based on the slams?

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 25th, 2010, 12:59 PM
2009 is a different subject all together. 2010 is whats on the table. She plays the tour. She plays the tournaments she's committed to do and you say its an overfilled schedule. Hence in your opinion, Caro is playing too many tournaments. Then how many would be 'ok' in your opinion?

As for not deserving the WTA#1 ranking. What do you suggest a player who is so unfair to her peers by winning the most ranking points do (if she hasn't also won a slam that year)? ..

It is actually WTA ranking. Slams are under ITF, but leaving that aside. You could lobby the ITF for a 'real' ranking; only based on the slams?

You didn't quote me, but I might just answer.:rolls:

As the great Jigga man once said: "Men lie. Women lie. The numbers don't lie." ;)
If she has the most points at the end of the season, she will have deserved the No.1 ranking. She's the most successful player of the year in terms of amassing ranking points. It just rubs many people the wrong way, because even though she'll be the most successful player on tour, she's still far away (ok, not that far :p) from being the best player on tour. Most people forget that Serena has played only 6 tournaments this year, 3 WTA events & 3 ITF Slams.

As for your "Slams are ITF"... I don't get your problem. Maybe I should have read your argument with Monzanator before, but I don't get it.:rolls:
Slams might not be WTA events, but they are the biggest title a woman can win. The biggest field. The most points. And they count into the WTA rankings... so?

Monzanator
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Serena has earned #1 spot in playing like half of the events that Caro did. Reaching semifinals of 7 or 8 events can't top winning two slams when it comes to the #1 spot (Thank God she won Montreal or else it would have been really embarrassing to be in contention for #1 with only Tier III or IV titles under her belt :tape: ). She surely improved her place by playing a plethora of events last year and she is very consistent but that's just not good enough for me, no matter how many people call her a pusher. The same goes with Radwanska, last year she had 9 QFs, but no titles and in fact she hasn't won anything since Eastbourne in 2008 (that's 27 months if I'm right) and yet she is still ranked on the verge of Top 10. That's pure nonsense even though I'm Polish and usually root for all the Polish players (those representing Germany or Denmark as well ;) ).

TennisFan66
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:10 PM
You didn't quote me, but I might just answer.:rolls:

As the great Jigga man once said: "Men lie. Women lie. The numbers don't lie." ;) If she has the most points at the end of the season, she will have deserved the No.1 ranking. She's the most successful player of the year in terms of amassing ranking points. It rubs just many people the wrong way, because even though she'll be the most successful player on tour, she's still far away (ok, not that far :p) from being the best player on tour. Most people forget that Serena has played only 6tournaments this year, 3 WTA events & 3 ITF Slams.

As for your "Slams are ITF"... I don't get your problem. Maybe I should have read your argument with Monzanator before, but I don't get it.:rolls:
Slams might not be WTA events, but they are the biggest title a woman can win. The biggest field. The most points. And they count into the WTA rankings...

Hi VirginMary,

yes sorry. Not to crowd up the thread, I thought it best to just stick to replying to Mon above.

I don't have a problem with slams/ITF events. lol. Matter of fact, my own personal opinion is slams are what really matters. Still dont change the facts though, sometimes as with Safina and Jelena, a player makes the WTA #1 ranking without winning a slam. IMHO thats no less 'worthy' than when one of that years slam winners make the #1 ranking.

I am just constantly baffled by (some) tennis fans and their obsession with whom is ranked #1, #2, #99 #whatever. Why I also asked the question: 'Those so-called slamless #1's, what are they suppose to do? ... slit their wrists because some tennis fans don't think they are 'worthy'. Make a public apology? ..

You're German, so lets move the analogy to Germany and Bundesliga. Bayern is fave to win again, but they already lost a match away to Kaiserslautern. Now if Bayern do indeed win the Bundesliga should they apologize to all German football supporters for having lost this match? ... I think most sane football fans would say 'ridiculous. Yet for tennis fans, where rankings really matter very little, it for some appears to be the be all, end all discussion.

Lord Choc Ice
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I like Sequeena but she should not be ranked #1 only playing six events. :lol: Someone needs to step up.

It might as well be Sunshine girl. :cheer:

Eat Caro's dust. :armed:

TennisFan66
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Serena has earned #1 spot in playing like half of the events that Caro did. Reaching semifinals of 7 or 8 events can't top winning two slams when it comes to the #1 spot (Thank God she won Montreal or else it would have been really embarrassing to be in contention for #1 with only Tier III or IV titles under her belt :tape: ). She surely improved her place by playing a plethora of events last year and she is very consistent but that's just not good enough for me, no matter how many people call her a pusher. The same goes with Radwanska, last year she had 9 QFs, but no titles and in fact she hasn't won anything since Eastbourne in 2008 (that's 27 months if I'm right) and yet she is still ranked on the verge of Top 10. That's pure nonsense even though I'm Polish and usually root for all the Polish players (those representing Germany or Denmark as well ;) ).

Please see my reply to VirginMary above.

PS should tennis be put on hold because Serena isn't playing? WTA rankings are objectively calculated and same for all players. They are not tragetted to support a non playing/ injured Serena Williams or anyone else for that matter. World continues to spin; sun rises and tennis is still played .... Oh and why is Aga's ranking nonsense? If there are better players out there, I suggest they should play the tour. Make a boat load of $$$$ and collect all them ranking points, which Aga is doing now.

Monzanator
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:20 PM
It's OK :) They are always people who prefer winning and other who prefer consistency. I'm definitely the winner kind of a man ;) Serena still owns Caro in all areas, but on the other hand I'd like more then anything else to see Caro being the next new Slam winner. Unless she runs into serious injuries, she's a safe bet for it but I'd like her to do so still in the sisters and Clijsters era :lol:

Patrick345
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I like Sequeena but she should not be ranked #1 only playing six events. :lol: Someone needs to step up.

Agreed. If she was still no.1 after playing six events in 12 months something would be very wrong with the rankings.

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hi VirginMary,

yes sorry. Not to crowd up the thread, I thought it best to just stick to replying to Mon above.

I don't have a problem with slams/ITF evens. lol. Matter of fact, my own personal opinion is slams are what really matters. Still dont change the facts though, sometimes as with Safina and Jelena, a player makes the WTA #1 ranking without winning a slam. IMHO thats no less 'worthy' than when one of that years slam winners make the #1 ranking.

I am just constantly baffled by (some) tennis fans and their obsession with whom is ranked #1, #2, #99 #whatever. Why I also asked the question: 'Those so-called slamless #1's, what are they suppose to do? ... slit their wrists because some tennis fans don't think they are 'worthy'. Make a public apology? ..

You're German, so lets move the analogy to Germany and Bundesliga. Bayern is fave to win again, but they already lost a match away to Kaisterlautern. Now if Bayern do indeed win the Bundesliga should they apologize to all German football supporters for having lost this match? ... I think most sane football fans would say 'ridiculous. Yet for tennis fans, where rankings really matter very little, it for some appears to be the be all, end all discussion.

People are "obsessed" with who's number 1, because a Number 1 is, or should be, the best player on tour. The one to beat.

When JJ and Dinara were #1, they had patches were they played amazing tennis "worthy" of the ranking, but they also had awful losses "not worthy" of someone ranked No.1. And of course, there's Serena, who, at her best, is the best player on tour. Is the one to beat.

Remember how many people were tipping Serena for the US Open title even though she hadn't played since the exhibition? That's because they know that if she is fit, she can win everything even while lacking match play.

If Caro clinched the YE No.1 spot and was the top seed at the Australian Open, she would be the favorite for the title behind Serena, Kim, Justine, Venus and probably Maria. Being only the 6th favorite, but the Top seed at the same time doesn't go together in a lot of people's minds.

Now to Bayern & Bundesliga.
In this case, Bayern Munich is the best club. The number 1. The club to beat. Bayern Munich = Serena.
Will they lose games (matches)? Yes. Will those losses be to "lesser clubs" (players)? Yes. But just like Serena shows up and wins the big matches and tournaments, does Bayern manage to come up on top ever so often at the end of the season. The loss to Kaisers Lautern won't matter, cause they went home with the big prize. Just like Serena lost to Dementieva in Sydney, but then went on to win the big prize in Melbourne.

Caro being the YE No.1 would feel like Wolfsburg being Meister. They deserved it, but when they start the next season and Munich is back to it's best, they won't repeat that feat. (Now, I'm not trying to say that Caro is as mediocre as Wolfsburg, but I hope you get my drift.:rolls:)

Monzanator
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Agreed. If she was still no.1 after playing six events in 12 months something would be very wrong with the rankings.

Had she not won AO and Wimbledon I'd probably say the same, but she actually did and her nearest #1 challenger failed to reach a Slam final all year, so no harm done IMO :)

Patrick345
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:30 PM
People are "obsessed" with who's number 1, because a Number 1 is, or should be, the best player on tour. The one to beat.

When JJ and Dinara were #1, they had patches were they played amazing tennis "worthy" of the ranking, but they also had awful losses "not worthy" of someone ranked No.1. And of course, there's Serena, who, at her best, is the best player on tour. Is the one to beat.

Remember how many people were tipping Serena for the US Open title even though she hadn't played since the exhibition? That's because they know that if she is fit, she can win everything even while lacking match play.

If Caro clinched the YE No.1 spot and was the top seed at the Australian Open, she would be the favorite for the title behind Serena, Kim, Justine, Venus and probably Maria. Being only the 6th favorite, but the Top seed at the same time doesn't go together in a lot of people's minds.

Now to Bayern & Bundesliga.
In this case, Bayern Munich is the best club. The number 1. The club to beat. Bayern Munich = Serena.
Will they lose games (matches)? Yes. Will those losses be to "lesser clubs" (players)? Yes. But just like Serena shows up and wins the big matches and tournaments, does Bayern manage to come up on top ever so often at the end of the season. The loss to Kaisers Lautern won't matter, cause they went home with the big prize. Just like Serena lost to Dementieva in Sydney, but then went on to win the big prize in Melbourne.

Caro being the YE No.1 would feel like Wolfsburg being Meister. They deserved it, but when they start the next season and Munich is back to it's best, they won't repeat that feat. (Now, I'm not trying to say that Caro is as mediocre as Wolfsburg, but I hope you get my drift.:rolls:)

Yeah but Bayern ainīt winning the title playing only six of 34 matches, Iīm pretty sure of that. So they might be the best team,(and relegated with 18 points), but at the end of the season they are not in first place.

Richie's
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Vamos Pusher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monzanator
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah but Bayern ainīt winning the title playing only six of 34 matches, Iīm pretty sure of that. So they might be the best team,(and relegated with 18 points), but at the end of the season they are not in first place.

But all the clubs play 34 matches each anyway. If every tennis pro played only 6 events all year, Serena would still be on top :haha: ;)

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:41 PM

It wasn't my analogy, I was just trying to make sense of it.:rolls:

But all the clubs play 34 matches each anyway. If every tennis pro played only 6 events all year, Serena would still be on top :haha: ;)

Lol, yeah.:lol:

Patrick345
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM

If Vera wins the YEC she has more points than Serena from her top six tournaments in 2010. :p :devil:

Monzanator
Sep 25th, 2010, 01:59 PM
But she hasn't won YEC just yet, so Serena has the benefit of the doubt ;) Good point, though :yeah:

A Magicman
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:33 PM
As Great Granaten Greta knows how to deal with this moonballer, there is hope.

Monzanator
Sep 25th, 2010, 02:39 PM
What if she plays Slut-GOAT instead? ;)

JJ all the way
Sep 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I can't wait until Caro's #1. :p

I have the perfect song for the occasion.
KVp01pdI81I

Omg this is too funny!:lol:

terjw
Sep 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Yes, but you have to admit that Caro is among playing the most tournaments of any Top 10 player. She's young, fit, loves playing, wants to avoid fines and so on. I know. But sometimes I can't help but think that she's not doing what's best for her at times. She got injured in Charleston, but still played Stuttgart, Rome, Madrid & Warsaw before the French Open, (just to avoid a fine?). Health >>> point penalties & loss of monetary benefits, imo.

I really didn't like her playing all those tournaments with her injury she got at Charleston. But it wasn't just to avoid a fine. The real reason was she wanted to play in her home country in Copenhagen. That meant a lot to her and she needed to play these tournaments (well Rome and Madrid for sure) to be allowed to play at Copenhagen. If she hadn't played these - she'd have been subject to the play down rules and not allowed to play in Copenhagen instead of San Diego.

Fines - you can always just accept and pay. The WTA can never make you play a tournament. But the WTA can stop you playing a tournament. So Caro played these tournaments when injured. It's a balance between doing what's best for her and understandably wanting to play in front of her home crowd.

One thing's for certain - playing all those tournaments with that injury not cured and inevitably losing early did absolutely nothing for her ranking.

Gdsimmons
Sep 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I really hope this doesn't happen. But if it does it does. The rankings stupidly reward quantity over quality when it should be the other way around .

-NAJ-
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
she is very close ;)

T W 775 (900-125) + B R3(one match to win, bye in R1)135 ( 140-5) = 910

T RU 495 + B SF 445 = 940

Jorn
Oct 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM
Tony said B QF can do it, but she need the B SF if she lose tomorrow...

Jorn
Oct 1st, 2010, 10:30 PM
We may get a new No. 1 likely the monday before YEC, but how many points do they defend from 2009 YEC?

SW 1500
CW 530
Vera ??

Jorn
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
Does Caro now "only" need one win in China Open?

On ES he said she needed a QF.....

Marilyn Monheaux
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
^^Heard that, too. Hmmmm... Well, she won 4 of the last 5 events she entered. Definitely No.1-esque stats... :shrug:

Gdsimmons
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
She needs 2. HEr 2r and her 3r

Mikey.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Without Beijing points Serena is on 6855 and Caroline is on 6680. So basically Caroline needs to make the Quarterfinals of Beijing (A Quarterfinal is worth 250 points, which would give her a total of 6930) to become #1.

ellyhuang
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
SO what? What's the point? Just another No.1 without salms.

Direwolf
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
SO what? What's the point? Just another No.1 without salms.

Yea.
That's basically the point.
:rolleyes: