PDA

View Full Version : Ranking after the 1985 Australian Open

samn
Sep 11th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I remember Navratilova sealing the #1 ranking for 1985 by beating Mandlikova in the semis and Evert in the final at the Australian that year. Would Evert have stayed #1 on the computer if she had retained her title? What would the official rankings have been had Mandlikova repeated her US Open wins over the Big Two at Kooyong? A "World Tennis" recap implied that Hana would have been #1 but I'm not quite sure if they meant #1 on the computer or #1 "in the public eye".

Does anyone remember what was at stake leading up to the final event of the year?

Zummi
Sep 15th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Navratilova was already the #1 player in the world at the time of the 1985 Australian Open, having regained the top spot after winning Sydney the previous week. However, Evert was the top seed because the seedings were done before Sydney had concluded.

Had Evert won the Australian Open final that year, she would have regained her #1 ranking.

Though I don't think Mandlikova would have moved up to #1 even if she had won the Australian Open that year. In the public eye, certainly; but not by Medusa...

samn
Sep 15th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Navratilova was already the #1 player in the world at the time of the 1985 Australian Open, having regained the top spot after winning Sydney the previous week. However, Evert was the top seed because the seedings were done before Sydney had concluded.

Had Evert won the Australian Open final that year, she would have regained her #1 ranking.

Though I don't think Mandlikova would have moved up to #1 even if she had won the Australian Open that year. In the public eye, certainly; but not by Medusa...

Thanks for this. Wasn't it soon after this season that the WTA did away with the wretched diminishing returns system? Did the ranking system get changed at the start of 1986 or did they have to wait until the start of the 1986 Virginia Slims season (i.e. after the Slims Championships in March)?