PDA

View Full Version : Conchita Martinez vs Alexandra Stevenson

anabel
Oct 17th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Conchita MARTINEZ (ESP) v Alexandra STEVENSON (USA)

2000 Los Angeles Hard (O) 16 Conchita MARTINEZ 6-4 7-6(2)

Conchita MARTINEZ (ESP) leads 1 : 0

I think Conchita will win in two

¡¡Vamos Conchita!!

treufreund
Oct 17th, 2002, 08:54 PM
La lesbiana la va a derrotar si ella sabe lo que ha dicho la Samantha sobre las lesbianas en la WTA.

VAMOS CONCHITA!!!!! :D

AjdeNate!
Oct 17th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Good luck Alex!!!

[S@nti]
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by treufreund
La lesbiana la va a derrotar si ella sabe lo que ha dicho la Samantha sobre las lesbianas en la WTA.

????? ..... :rolleyes:
btw: Conchita will win in 3 , 7-5 1-6 7-5

Becool
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Alex en dos tambein pienso yo! :D :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:06 PM
go Conchi

the winner will get splattered in the semis anyway ;)

Volcana
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:10 PM
If they both play well, Alex.
If they both play bad, Conchi.

treufreund
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Samantha habia dicho que las lesbianas en la WTA quieren "conseguir" a Alexandra. No se si lo digo correctamente espanol pero la madre parece ser muy homofobica. A mi no me gusta la arrogancia de Alex tampoco. Espero que Conchita juegue bien y la derrote facilmente pero Alex parece jugar bien en este momento...

Venus Forever
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:19 PM
GO ALEXANDRA!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Elisse
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:34 PM
Vamos Conchita!!! :D

niratti
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Martinez

Soch
Oct 17th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Martínez in three

Richie77
Oct 17th, 2002, 10:20 PM
CONCHITA!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

She will win in two sets! :)

baleineau
Oct 17th, 2002, 11:17 PM
Conchita has a bone to pick with Alex and Sam Stevenson. She will make sure she doesn't lose. Conchi can beat anyone when she is really motivated and confident, whereas the same cannot be said about Alex.

Conchi 6-1 6-3

TSequoia01
Oct 17th, 2002, 11:51 PM

La lesbiana debe pasar la potencia del servicio de Alex de lograr esto.

VAMOS ALEXANDRA!!!!!!! ;)

Kuilli
Oct 17th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Conchita in three. :D

moon
Oct 18th, 2002, 01:20 AM
Let's go Conchita!

TSequoia01
Oct 18th, 2002, 01:21 AM
Samantha habia dicho que las lesbianas en la WTA quieren "conseguir" a Alexandra. No se si lo digo correctamente espanol pero la madre parece ser muy homofobica. A mi no me gusta la arrogancia de Alex tampoco. Espero que Conchita juegue bien y la derrote facilmente pero Alex parece jugar bien en este momento...

Recuerdo todos los avances indeseados del hablar hacia Alex. También recuerdo charla en lo que respecta a Conchita que se ejecuta alrededor de descubierto en las duchas. No seguro cuánto cualquiera de él es verdad. Puede dar la inspiración agregada Conchita. :cool:

Jordan.
Oct 18th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Alexandra 7-5 2-6 6-2

ttaM
Oct 18th, 2002, 02:00 AM
Conchita has good passing shots, so I think Conchita will know how to play Alex. If Conchita doesn't decide to tank the match, or get upset, I believe she should win this match.

Go Conchita!

tennisIlove09
Oct 18th, 2002, 02:18 AM
The way Alex has been playing, Alex. Then again, last week she played great to beat Capriati, then barely made Hantuchova break a sweat.

I still say Alex. Bigger serve vs. weak serve.

xan
Oct 18th, 2002, 02:19 AM
But Alex has one of the best serves in the Women's game. And THE best 2nd serve according to Sam Smith on Eurosport.

If she serves well, Conchita has no chance.

Scotso
Oct 18th, 2002, 04:19 AM
With the way she's playing, Conchita for sure.

bob2
Oct 18th, 2002, 04:28 AM
CONCHITA OF COURSE!

fleemke³
Oct 18th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Conchita really suprised me with very good and effective tennis! I think Alex is goinig crazy on her defense balls :)

Conchita in two :bounce:

bionic71
Oct 18th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Tough one to pick this one.
So different.
I think Martinez will take her....especially after the long match Stevenson had with Dokic.
It is true that Stevenson could blast Martinez off the court for at least a set or so, but if there are a few rallies then Martinez will have a little too much variety for her.
Martinez has fabulous dipping passing shots and rarely gets to use them as no one attacks the net anymore! Stevenson is a good volleyer, but not an agile one and will have much trouble with the dipping topspin at net.

Martinez in two - one "toughy" and a "runaway".

schris
Oct 18th, 2002, 11:10 AM
GOOD LUCK CONCHITA !!!

Ryan
Oct 18th, 2002, 11:56 AM
I hope Conchita can pull through, a ncie way to to end a horrible season:D

Vamos Conchi!

caramel
Oct 18th, 2002, 12:23 PM
:bounce: Come on , Alex! :bounce: You can do it , girl!

gorecki
Oct 18th, 2002, 12:30 PM
would be nice to see Conchi make a resurgence of some sort :)

one for the veterans!!!

cooolconchita
Oct 18th, 2002, 12:50 PM
This match has a conchi win written all over it!! alex loves pace - hence her wins over Jenn and Jelly. she is still relatively inexperienced with dealing with the old-style play of conchita, and i expect a similar scoreline to the match aginst casanova - good player who could beat conchi in a couple of years - but not right now! ;)
p.s - i TRULY believe that the only person to stop conchi in this draw is Davenport, she has a chance of winning this damn thing!! :kiss:

mboyle
Oct 18th, 2002, 12:54 PM
GO ALEXANDRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just beat the moonballer. I can't stand that style of play:rolleyes: . As for Conchita winning, it would be some sort of freak of nature. Don't get me wrong, Conchita has accomplished alot in her career, but her power level is lacking, and her serve can get chewed up by anyone with a decent return. As Kim is likely to take out Lindsay, my money is on her to win the title.

Experimentee
Oct 18th, 2002, 01:40 PM
I want Alex to but i think Conchita might just edge it out.

anton
Oct 18th, 2002, 01:56 PM
A. Stevenson def. C. Martinez 6-0, 0-6, 6-0!!!:)

treufreund
Oct 18th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09

I still say Alex. Bigger serve vs. weak serve.

Once again yet another person reducing TENNIS to big serve=automatic favorite. :rolleyes:

griffin
Oct 18th, 2002, 05:50 PM
3 cheers for "freaks of nature" ;)

treufreund
Oct 18th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by mboyle
GO ALEXANDRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just beat the moonballer. I can't stand that style of play:rolleyes: . As for Conchita winning, it would be some sort of freak of nature. Don't get me wrong, Conchita has accomplished alot in her career, but her power level is lacking, and her serve can get chewed up by anyone with a decent return. As Kim is likely to take out Lindsay, my money is on her to win the title.

NO people don't win by freak of nature. When was the last time that you watched Conchita mboyle? She doesn't hit moonballs on every single rally. But her moonballs are very good. :D I love it that Conchita has taken Monica to three this year, has a great record against Lindsay, beaten Hingis on clay and beat Cappy and Alex this week. She is talented and does NOT rely on POWER! You act like it's some sort of crime for the less powerful but more intelligent player to win matches. Why not just have the girl do an arm wrestle or tug of war or serve to see who can hit hardest? If this is the way you look at tennis then that's a freak of nature IMO! Sorry to be so harsh but it's all of this extreme power which makes tennis boring and leads to tons of injuries. :(

Soch
Oct 18th, 2002, 06:09 PM
treufreund, I couldn't agree more.

Tennis is something more than "freaks of nature" hitting like bulls. The day the tour loses its Conchitas, Justines, Amélies and such, I will be completely uninterested.

I'm not saying Conchita will win this title, but considering she's THIRTY I would call this week a great achievement.

Soch.

treufreund
Oct 18th, 2002, 06:17 PM
It's weird to me, this attitude from some players and fans that anything less than the most powerful serves or groundstrokes is soft tennis. Navratilova is one of the greatest players of all time and she won a great deal of her matches with her finesse and precision. Her powerful body allowed her to be athletic and in that way she used strength but not through blistering serves and heavy groundstrokes.

I myself love to play tennis with VARIETY. I get immense joy from hitting winners off the ground and aces but also very much enjoy winning by guile and calculation. I love to hit lobs and dropshots and to retrieve with tough dipping defensive slices. I like to win points in all sorts of ways and like to watch matches with all sorts of shots. And yes MOONBALLS do add SUSPENSE and TENSION to a rally because you have a second to think about whether you should smash it, lob it back or hit some sort of groundstroke or hit a slice volley and approach the net. It's all good to me. :D

baleineau
Oct 18th, 2002, 07:58 PM
this mboyle is just a clueless dickhead. we should perhaps not give him the recognition he's craving by replying directly to his dumbass comments.

I am a big fan of Conchita since 1991. I accept that she is way past her best (she peaked 93-96, and had an exceptional run in 2000), but there are signs that she has recovered her confidence in the last few weeks to something which, if sustained fairly consistently over the coming 1-2 years could see her back in the top-20. I beleive this is not just great for Conchi fans, but also for women's tennis.

The only thing that saves women's tennis from being boring right now is that there are varieties of player. Variety is still essential, simply because women's tenis still lacks depth beyond the top-10. Finesse-based players (Hingis, Farina, Henin, Hantuchova, Venus Williams, Martinez, Raymond, Sugiyama, Danillidou, Mauresmo, Grande) bring something different to the court. If everyone played like Capriati, Serena, Lindsay, Kim or Monica, then matches could be predicted almost solely on the issue of who has the most power/speed.

Tennis is a combination of strategy, skill, fitness/athleticism, power, mental fortitude and luck. Conchita has always shined on the first two counts. I would be tempted to say she is mentally strong (because she is composed and concentrated on the court), though she sometimes doesn't give her very best effort throughout a match, and she can get nervous in tight matches (who doesn't though?).

For these reasons, I am surprised that anyone can openly prounounce their lack respect for Conchita or her style of tennis. Her game is a breath of fresh air in today's climate, yet I accept that tennis needs both, hence my other faves include Venus, Serena, Jelena and Amelie. I would also say that the WTA needs players with more humility and modesty, instead of being dominated by prima donnas.

Conchita is one of the most popular and respected players on the tour, and there is a good reason for it: she's a fair, mature and committed. She obviously enjoys tennis and has achieved a great deal in her career. She is an inspiration to the younger girls on the tour.

moon
Oct 18th, 2002, 11:52 PM
couldn't have said it better myself. :)

good luck tomorrow Conchi!

treufreund
Oct 19th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Hunkyalex,

I agree with everthing you say except that it is SERENA who uses finesse not Venus. Serena has the angles and the topspin or slice defensive shots and the better clay-court tennis by far. Venus is much more about power IMO.

baleineau
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Treufreund,

Yes, it is difficult to categorise the play of both sisters. I agree that Serena uses finesse play on the court, but I believe that ultimately she wins through her strength and power. Venus, on the ohter hand, is incredibly powerful, but when I see her combine her serve with net attacking and deslightful touch volleying, I'm inclined to think that Venus actually makes her finesse play count more than Serena.

This is something of a 2002 observation, as both sisters have improved their all-court play and consistency remarkably in the last 2 years, Venus first (cutting down baseline errors) and Serena next (improving tactical play and patience).

But I say both sisters have more finesse and power that true power players such as Mary Pierce, Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati.