PDA

View Full Version : Please read this thread Blasters-Help Needed. Why are we here?

Rollo
Sep 10th, 2010, 03:21 AM
For some time now I have noticed a negative tone creeping into the Blast. It has not come from one person or group. And when compared to General Messages we are still an oasis of calm and peace. That is my point though, the Blast is not General Messages. Increasingly I have had posters PM me with their concerns. Some posters, members who have been with us for years, have told me they are avoiding this forum because of the direction we are heading in.

As co-mod I take responsibility for this. As founder of this forum I think we can do better.

So my questions to you are these:

Why are you (or we, as a group) here?

What is our mission as a forum?

What values do we embrace?

What ground rules (or house rules) do or don't we create?

These are the questions I would like your input on. DavidK and I will use your feedback to create a permanent thread that details the mission, values, and house rules of this forum. For the next couple of weeks we need your ideas to make this happen. When a final product is in sight we might submit this to a poll for Blasters to vote on.

Pat Bateman
Sep 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hi Rollo:wavey:
I'm glad you asked. Things have definitely gone downhill in recent months. For me, the beginning of the end was that thread about Serena Williams. I used to love checking in to reminisce about matches from years ago and retired players. There was also a real depth of knowledge being shared. Unfortunately, all I see now is posters insulting players and each other. The trolling is not as bad as in GM but it's still very unpleasant and nasty, and most of it is very personal. (These 'coulda-woulda-shoulda' threads don't add anything either IMO) I'm not surprised that some posters don't want to be involved in that kind of idiocy. Let's get back to being kind to each other. Vigorous debate should be welcomed but there should be a stop to the personal insults (about players and fellow posters).
Pat

calou
Sep 10th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hi Rollo :wavey:
I'm not on the forum since a long time.I was only a reader before and was undecided to register because of my bad English.I've noticed since a few times some irrelevant and insulting posts.For sure we all have our Fav but i try to respect the others .I'm here to reminisce about retired players and share knowledge and " gossips " with others members .The first rule is to stop personal insults (on GM "bitch" is an usual word ) and respect other's opinion,some have no sense of humor ...
Tennis is no longer a sport played by gentlemen but it would help if his fans could remember
I agree with Pat with the stupidity of 'coulda ,woulda,shoulda ' threads .As i said " Avec des si on mettrai Paris en bouteille " :)

Chrissie-fan
Sep 10th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I haven't posted at GM in over a year. I finally reached my limit when posters argued that a certain player should be killed. It amazes me that the mods tolerate such stuff. To tell the truth, I haven't posted much here either over the last six months or so. It's still by far the superior board of the forum though.

irma
Sep 10th, 2010, 03:55 PM
We all share a hobby that's called watching (or playing in some cases) tennis and following certain players.
At some point a fan needs to realize that when your fav lost a match the opponent had as much right to win as your fav so no reason to bash/hate the opponent. Doesn't mean you can't be a fan anymore, but without anger or hate it's just more fun imho :)

It annoys me on general message too. Some act like by example Wozniacki is evil because she is able to win matches. It almost turns me into a fan;)

Julian Byatt
Sep 11th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Hi Rollo, though my visits have been sporadic (to say the least!) in recent years, when I do pay a visit, it is always to visit this forum. Rarely, if ever, have I left it without learning something or with a smile on my face, which is why I love it.

The work that you and others have put into this forum needs to be protected. I worry that if threads here start looking as though they belong in General Messages, it may turn some away, and undoubtedly, those 'some' will be the very people that we want to hear/read from.

I'm not sure how these boards work, but if it's possible, perhaps when noticing a thread heading out of control, it could be deleted and send a warning to those involved that they will be refused posting access if it happens again. It's not an ideal solution I know, as a thread can be filled with wonderful posts leading up to the change of tone and losing those posts isn't really a desirable outcome.

I expect others will have many more (and better!) ideas but in any case, I will support whatever you decide to do, or not do, Rollo. I consider this forum to be your baby and will always drop in while you, Pam Shriver(!) and many others are a part of it.

samn
Sep 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
To indulge in our love/lust/admiration/fanaticism for Pamela Howard Shriver, without being mocked, ridiculed, or committed as we would otherwise be in the outside world.

samn
Sep 11th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Rollo:wavey:
I'm glad you asked. Things have definitely gone downhill in recent months. For me, the beginning of the end was that thread about Serena Williams.

I dread the day the Williams sisters and Sharapova retire, and hordes of Cult of Williams nutters and Masha Maniacs descend upon BFTP. I think that might be the right time to check out of here for good. :lol:

nelslus
Sep 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Just to add my thoughts....albeit I'm not sure how much my experiences will help here, as what has bothered me involves situations that I'm not sure a moderator can do much about.

I would say the worst incident that made me become scarce here was when, admittedly after I had posted some FAR too over the top comments about Justine, He Who Must Not Be Made (WELLLLLL, let's just say, the name rhymes with "Bust") posted some truly ugly comments about me. Which pretty much led to nobody coming to my defense. Which was the final nail that made me go, hmmmm, this isn't the place so much for me anymore. It taught me much of what I had suspected. And, I just don't allow myself to be treated that way, especially when I'm aware of not much if any concern from a group after such rudeness. Which is understandable, since it appears that some like me just keep fading and fading.

Also- and admittedly this is I suspect is inevitable with any group- BFTP has become cliquey in a way that feels like it excludes some- including many of the "old-timers." To be fair, maybe this didn't bother me so much when back in the day I was more in on (if not truly ever fully part of) "The Clique." On a more positive note, I've truly actually gotten some morbid humor about posting stuff now and then (my sense of humor is, ahem, eccentric), and then being effectively ignored. It does give me a feeling of a strange kind of freedom- HECK, post whatever I want, I'm just That Crazy Aunt in the cellar everyone tries to ignore anyways, who cares?!?! But, it doesn't exactly also make me feel like posting a ton. So, in other words, I do feel that this group could stand to confront itself at least now and then and ask, do you wish to remain a group of a certain set # of folks who just continue to talk with yourselves- or are you open to expanding the group talk? If so, it would help to acknowledge more folks. AND of course, this doesn't apply to everyone here. Sadly, this message will probably only impact the "wrong" people- the folks who don't exclude others.

I've also suggested before that, perhaps it would help to have a thread or two to discuss anything and everything?!?!? This has worked well on other forums. An inherent problem with BFTP can be that- let's just say that, after awhile, there's only so much that can be said about Tracy Austin's pigtails or whether or not Chris' lob over Betty Ann Dent was hit with a Continental or Eastern grip in the 1978 Lynda Carter Spectacular, before you run out of things to say. (Until Anne Kremer retires, and then the conversation briefly ignites yet again.....) Sure, now and then Chris and Martina can be counted on to help us out with their respective Old Skank "marriages"- but even that, bless their old trollopy hearts, can only get you so far when it comes to ongoing conversations.

Certainly, we former BFTP Deities will continue to lurk about in our Miss Havisham fashion when, say, a poster like the terrific Iain (apparently currently working on His Own Private Miss Havisham status, bless his heart ;)) brings some much needed energy to this place. I'll always keep checking in now and then to see how The Old Gang is doing- when we of course can somehow manage to shake the dust off or our 19th Century wedding dresses long enough and post again. Plus, you KNOW the great Nancy Richey means I'll keep checking in- and, bring on more of the Wendy Turnbulls and Virginia Wades and Peaches Bartkowicz and Julie Heldmans and (etc., etc.) to post- and you won't be able to get rid of some of us. (Hint, hint.)

Also, it's impossible to keep everyone happy. I'm sure there have been times when I've been part of the problem. For example, some just don't like it when you dare to joke about players. My attitude is, HEY, I'm not on Roger's/Venus'/BJK's/Monica's payrolls or anything- and last I looked, I'm not Roger or Venus or BJK or Monica (.....or AM I?!?!? :drool:)- so, all's fair when it comes to the players- as long as you don't go TOO far over the line (as, again, I know I have in the past.) However, again, some do not want anyone to have fun at any players' (and/or their favorite players') expense. Who's right, who's wrong? Who knows?

PLUS- talking more about me being part of the problem- some just don't like, ahem, LONGGGGGG posts. To which all I can say is- OOPS. :bounce:

SO- Rollo, please know that none of this message has been directed to or at you at all- you've always been terrific at what you do- but to the group as a whole. A group does not sink or swim because of a moderator- all of this is truly the responsibility of the group. Perhaps all of this is inevitable. Almost all groups have an expiration date, and then it's time to move on, and there's not much you can do about that? We shall see.

In any case, Rollo, thanks for this opportunity to vent- which, apparently, I needed to do more than I realized. It's IMO always healthy and a good idea to ask a group to check in on its status now and then. (AND, at least all of this is a shot for some more morbid humor for me when even THIS novel somehow inevitably manages to get ignored.) :tape:

daze11
Sep 11th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I would say the worst incident that made me become scarce here was when, admittedly after I had posted some FAR too over the top comments about Justine, He Who Must Not Be Made (WELLLLLL, let's just say, the name rhymes with "Bust") posted some truly ugly comments about me. Which pretty much led to nobody coming to my defense. Which was the final nail that made me go, hmmmm, this isn't the place so much for me anymore. It taught me much of what I had suspected. And, I just don't allow myself to be treated that way, especially when I'm aware of not much if any concern from a group after such rudeness. Which is understandable, since it appears that some like me just keep fading and fading. omg!!! i always think of you not being too sensitive about what others say, and would never think to defend you against a random side-swipe comment, as I also assume --maybe wrongly-- that everyone just ignores the 'clutter' comments that are inevitable on a public board, especially in a world where manners & consideration have so deteriorated. I feel bad that you had that reaction... as I always enjoy your wacky long posts! :hug:

I think the reason BFTP has tended to be so much better about decency than the GM (which is a place i dont even think to roam) is that those r where kids post. Here are 'the older folks' who still have some sense of pride in some idea of proper conduct. But I dont think theres a way to 'fix' that on the boards unless someone wants to police & babysit the ever-changing crowd.

I also assume the reason people do come & go is because, just as nelslus said, there's only so many ways to discuss 1978. But people who claim to be against 'what ifs' are just not living in the reality of tennis boards discussing the past. There are a million possible scenerios in LIFE, and only 1 scenerio gets to be played out at a time. That's what makes it interesting. We don't just come to BFTP to fill in the 'results from 1974' page. If someone doesn't like to think, which involves engaging different variables & hypothesis, then they'll usually stick to the threads that don't involve the story-line side of history.

Healthy discussion should always be encouraged; its from kicking up the sleeping dirt that we @ the Blast always stay way ahead of mainstream broadcast commentators about the history of our sport. For me, THAT is why we are here. Otherwise we would all sit around & say 'whoever wins the most slams is the best' & could live out a colorless, opinionless, nuanceless existence & can all safely and sheepishly think the exact same things.

GeeTee
Sep 11th, 2010, 09:19 PM
OK - my 2c worth.

I can't speak for 'us', I can only speak for me - so here goes:

I'm here for the enormous amount of 'unknown' or 'hard to find' statistics, results and bios of players from previous eras. As most here would know, the amount of knowledge here is unrivalled in the tennis world and WAY better than that available for male players on the interweb. It is great to find kindred spirits who are also doing research. In general this is a great community and people like to share information rather than saying 'this is all about me' and 'i know better than you' or 'your opinion doesn't count'.

I enjoy the chat and debate about former players, although it's sometimes the heat of some of these debates that cause me to take a break. I can usually see both sides of a story though and know that BJK isn't the 100% 'saint' that she's made out to be and Margaret isn't the 100% 'devil' she's made out to be (and vice versa). In the world, nothing is 100% black and white and it's great to see that most in this community (rather than the relatively childish GM community) can see both sides of the story and that it's not 'my way or the highway'.

I still post in other threads on TF and enjoy quite a few discussions about current-day tennis. There are plenty of sensible fair-minded tennis fans in GM and other boards on here, though they are generally out-numbered by some of the rude and sometimes crazy majority. And at times - particularly after a beer or ten - I don't mind getting just as crazy and sometimes even rude! :angel:

I know some other BFTP posters of the past and present (via p-msgs/email)- as well as myself have also thought the Blast can be cliquey. I don't think this will change really - it's like any group of people interested in something or other. They can get comfortable and cliquey and sometimes seem almost resentful of others joining in. Human Nature, I guess.

I would like our mission to be to provide a comprehensive history of the sport including results, photos and accurate research. We should also allow debate and chat about 'what ifs'.

To that end, I think it might help if BFTP was split into some sub-forums - eg:

* Tennis History (possibly seperated into years, decades, eras or logical splits such as Pre WW1, Pre WWII, Post WWII, Pro, Recent History - eg 1990 onwards) - some are going to cross-over, but this would be a start. Another thread might be 'Legends' so that players such as Lenglen, Connolly, Navratilova, Evert etc that have multiple threads about them could be grouped away from a 'Players' sub-forum where everything about Peaches or Durie or Fromholtz could be included in just one discussion thread
* BFTP Chat (there seem to be way more general chat threads in here than there ever used to be that are more about where people are holidaying than anything to do with tennis from the past)
* Probably some other sub-forums too as I'm sure to have missed an important breakdown

Perhaps if there was a specific Player forum, there might be more chances that other former players such as Nancy might contribute to their own threads? I dunno, but you can always hope. Nancy's contribution here is just brilliant and a shame it's not replicated. Then again, people in her thread DO seem to be a bit more respectful than in some other topics.

Respect for the Past
Respect for each other
Respectful of the fact that not everyone will always agree with you

1) Ask yourself if your post complies with the values.
2) Stay within the topic or go to a more general BFTP chat thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------

These are just some thoughts off the top of the head.

Thanks for all your work Rollo (and David too) in editing all of the major research/results threads so they are such a useful resource for any tennis fan.

Since I've been so long-winded, that should also make nelslus feel a bit better! :)

juliehardwick
Sep 12th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Rollo, you do a great job of moderating here. Please continue. The most civil board imo is the one on the www.tennis.com site and the moderators there are very strict. Consequently posters (mostly) observe and there is very little slagging off. (Even though people who post there complain there is, not in comparison to other boards.) Even people who are totally obnoxious, shouting down every other expression of opinion on other boards, rein themselves in there.
The main part of this site is beyond hope I think as are some other boards (tennis warehouse etc) where the moderators seem to allow extraordinary idiocy, rudeness, berating other posters etc.
I also think the coulda, shoulds, woulda threads are dominated by trolls, aim to provoke, and rarely have any reasoned discussion. I would be for just deleting them.
Reasoned discussion of different viewpoints is all good and welcome and interesting - even here though, that quickly goes to slurring of either poster or player, neither any fun.
It would be good to foster discussion along the lines of nobody's perfect, not even your favorite player of all time, but aim to keep that within courteous and reasonable bounds.

Chrissie-fan
Sep 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Rollo, you do a great job of moderating here. Please continue. The most civil board imo is the one on the www.tennis.com site a nd the moderators there are very strict.

Thanks. I think I'm gonna join that forum since GM here is such a mess. I'll continue to visit BFTP, even though I only rarely can contribute anything that's of interest.

daze11
Sep 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks. I think I'm gonna join that forum since GM here is such a mess. I'll continue to visit BFTP, even though I only rarely can contribute anything that's of interest.

The difference is, when you go THERE, you realize they have almost no information.... almost all posts cater to the current generation (even in the past players area) and when you read a thread or two there ABOUT the past, you realize they are CIVIL because none of them have any information whatsoever, and so there's nothing to get riled up about ...the best they seem to achieve is scratching the surface...and not the kind of scratch that accomplishes anything.

I'm glad I looked though because now I am reminded what an amazing resource this forum really is to the tennis community, since the alternative is tennis.com!!!!! :lol:

calou
Sep 13th, 2010, 05:09 PM
The difference is, when you go THERE, you realize they have almost no information.... almost all posts cater to the current generation (even in the past players area) and when you read a thread or two there ABOUT the past, you realize they are CIVIL because none of them have any information whatsoever, and so there's nothing to get riled up about ...the best they seem to achieve is scratching the surface...and not the kind of scratch that accomplishes anything.

I'm glad I looked though because now I am reminded what an amazing resource this forum really is to the tennis community, since the alternative is tennis.com!!!!! :lol:
I agree Daze,i've been there a couple of times and din't learn anything from their threads,it's very superficial .This forum is by far the best and i'm glad to have met people as interesting and nice :)

Chrissie-fan
Sep 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM

It doesn't get any better than BFTP - I agree. But I'm not talking about BFTP but GM, and I'd like to be able to say that Caro is my favourite current player without some 13 year old fruitcake telling me that she should be murdered.

daze11
Sep 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
It doesn't get any better than BFTP - I agree. But I'm not talking about BFTP but GM, and I'd like to be able to say that Caro is my favourite current player without some 13 year old fruitcake telling me that she should be murdered.:haha: your phrasing, not the comment.... which is psychotic. The whole world is really in a very hostile way, isnt it?

Chrissie-fan
Sep 13th, 2010, 05:42 PM
:haha: your phrasing, not the comment.... which is psychotic. The whole world is really in a very hostile way, isnt it?
:) I know it's all just an act on their part and the're just trying to prove to their fellow fruitcakes how tough they are, but still...how can you communicate with such "people"?

chris whiteside
Sep 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I would say the worst incident that made me become scarce here was when, admittedly after I had posted some FAR too over the top comments about Justine, He Who Must Not Be Made (WELLLLLL, let's just say, the name rhymes with "Bust") posted some truly ugly comments about me. Which pretty much led to nobody coming to my defense.

I've also suggested before that, perhaps it would help to have a thread or two to discuss anything and everything?!?!? This has worked well on other forums. An inherent problem with BFTP can be that- let's just say that, after awhile, there's only so much that can be said about Tracy Austin's pigtails or whether or not Chris' lob over Betty Ann Dent was hit with a Continental or Eastern grip in the 1978 Lynda Carter Spectacular, before you run out of things to say. (Until Anne Kremer retires, and then the conversation briefly ignites yet again.....) Sure, now and then Chris and Martina can be counted on to help us out with their respective Old Skank "marriages"- but even that, bless their old trollopy hearts, can only get you so far when it comes to ongoing conversations.

I can't actually remember that instance, nelslus but it could be that most posters shy away from getting involved in a personal argument between two other posters or are too embarrassed to get involved. Probably just didn't understand your "strange" sense of humour but like Dazell I wouldn't have thought it would have gotten to you in the way it did.

Maybe you're not aware of it but there ARE several threads on the go for discussing anything and everything. I've strayed into them a few times in case I was missing anything and frankly I'm not interested in reading about other's drinking habits, menstrual problems or the particular weather at a certain time in their climate.

What I would like to see is there being just one and it could be held permanently at the head of the Forum then anyone who wanted to join in could and anyone who didn't ignore it.

You have a valid point though about the limitations of what can be discussed on the players - it will be finite.

Like Samn I am in dread of what could be coming up. Don't the IHOF have a time embargo on players being inducted? Perhaps BFTP could have a 5-year gap between players retiring and being eligible for discussion here?

Specific threads about current players just shouldn't be allowed nor should any thread degenerate into a discussion of a current player although it is obviously impossible that they will not crop up "in passing".

The thing is everyone will have different interests and you don't want the site to be Draconian, it is also impossible to constantly police it.

To be quite honest though I don't think there is that much wrong with the Forum as it stands. It just needs swift and decisive action before a problem starts and I personally think it's genearlly obvious where some threads are going to end up as soon as they start.

juliehardwick
Sep 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM
That isn't true about the tennis.com forum at all - many people there have watched tennis for a long time. The average age is definitely middle aged! And I'd say with that condescension that "we're smarter and better informed and they're only civil because they are know nothings," it's just as well you stay away. There's plenty of "superficial" discussion in these threads - as there are in all fan threads. If it's fine here, it's fine there. Obviously it isn't about retired players so there's much more discussion about current players than in this particular subsection but people there do know. If you only want to talk about retired players, you're in the right place here.
Plus my comment was about the effectiveness of the moderation there in setting the tone ...

Andy T
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Don't really have much to add to what's been said before except to say that, speaking personally, I shall always be grateful to this forum for the friends I have made through it. Some are still "cyber" for the time being (though no less sincere for that) whereas others form a part of everyday life as I've been lucky enough to meet several posters "in the flesh" - or at least chat over the phone. So thanks to BFTP, to Rollo for making that happen and to those concerned.

daze11
Sep 14th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Don't really have much to add to what's been said before except to say that, speaking personally, I shall always be grateful to this forum for the friends I have made through it. Some are still "cyber" for the time being (though no less sincere for that) whereas others form a part of everyday life as I've been lucky enough to meet several posters "in the flesh" - or at least chat over the phone. So thanks to BFTP, to Rollo for making that happen and to those concerned.
:hug:

Rollo
Sep 15th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Thank you for all the feedback so far everyone. Please don't stop. Based on your comments we are going to make some changes, so keep the ideas flowing:)

AmeDevotee
Sep 15th, 2010, 11:18 PM
For some time now I have noticed a negative tone creeping into the Blast. It has not come from one person or group. And when compared to General Messages we are still an oasis of calm and peace. That is my point though, the Blast is not General Messages. Increasingly I have had posters PM me with their concerns. Some posters, members who have been with us for years, have told me they are avoiding this forum because of the direction we are heading in.

As co-mod I take responsibility for this. As founder of this forum I think we can do better.

So my questions to you are these:

These are the questions I would like your input on. DavidK and I will use your feedback to create a permanent thread that details the mission, values, and house rules of this forum. For the next couple of weeks we need your ideas to make this happen. When a final product is in sight we might submit this to a poll for Blasters to vote on.

Judging by the rest of this thread, I'm too young to remember a lot of what you discuss here (I've only followed tennis since the mid 90s).

However, my attention was caught by a recent thread comparing my favourite players (Mauresmo and Novotna) with others of similar status. I almost posted in the thread but refrained because of a childish argument a couple of posters were having which I did not want to get dragged into. So yes, I do think something needs to be done to restore a more civil tone in this forum. :)

nelslus
Sep 16th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I can't actually remember that instance, nelslus but it could be that most posters shy away from getting involved in a personal argument between two other posters or are too embarrassed to get involved. Probably just didn't understand your "strange" sense of humour but like Dazell I wouldn't have thought it would have gotten to you in the way it did.

For what this is worth- I just want to be clear that these incidents with "Rhymes with Bust" had nothing to do with any kind of personal argument- as an argument takes two people. It involved a poster who decided that they clearly didn't like what I had to say about Justine (fair enough) and got extremely ugly about this (not fair enough.) I did not nor do I ever respond specifically to such a person- other than to do what I've only done this one time on ANY site- put this person on Ignore (life being too short and all that.)

To be blunt- on the other tennis site I go on (a lot more)- this would never have been tolerated by folks there against anyone. And this IMO has nothing to do with me being sensitive, unexpectedly or not. When one has, as you correctly and fairly put it, a strange sense of humor such as me- you'd best learn that if you're going to dish it out, you'd better be willing to take it. It's just, I have enough self respect that, when someone gets really, really ugly twice against me, you do bring this up via PM's, and nothing happens (at least as far as you can tell)- and then unlike others you're also not one of The Chosen Ones ;) meeting folks in the flesh (except daze one time, lucky fellow :unsure:) or otherwise (fortunately, at least I'm more "in" elsewhere) (so there :tape:)- well, really, what's the point of putting yourself in the position of sticking around quite so much?

Still, Rollo asked- so, I figured that I'd bring this and other points up- that the group can choose to think about or not. To suggest that folks may wish to "defend" others (I've seen incidents involving others here), INCLUDING those you may not be friends with and/or isn't really in any "Clique", so that a more "safe" environment can be created, if it matters having more folks stick around more often. Or not. And BTW, nor do I mean to suggest that BFTP is anywhere near the level of the general threads- which IMO involve a level of insanity that makes my strange sense of humor seem quite tame.

In any case, for me, I'll keep my distance, other than now and then to check in for my own interests, with Nancy Richey, tennis history, facts & draw sheets, interesting threads, and see how some folks are doing. Again to be blunt- I learned in this thread pretty much what I expected to learn as far as I'm concerned, and my "place"- no surprises. For me, it's more than enough that I've said my piece. For the sake of the group, of course- that's up to the group.

I also do totally respect BTW that many very understandably don't like and/or wish to avoid conflicts- especially if they do seem ugly. But, all I can suggest is, a group can pay a price for this- and/or, just hope that someone doesn't one day arbitrarily decide to go after you here, with little to no response.

nelslus
Sep 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Maybe you're not aware of it but there ARE several threads on the go for discussing anything and everything. I've strayed into them a few times in case I was missing anything and frankly I'm not interested in reading about other's drinking habits, menstrual problems or the particular weather at a certain time in their climate.
P.S. Fine, Mister. I can take a hint. I'll start up my Menstrual Problems thread elsewhere. :drool:

djul14
Sep 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
This forum is like LOST : there are the others (GM, a very hostile place),and here (BFTP), a more quiet place where we can discuss (TENNIS) between civilized people, even if sometimes there are attacks from the others or black smoke :o , so that we have to "fight" to preserve this place.

Chrissie-fan
Sep 17th, 2010, 09:12 PM
This forum is like LOST : there are the others (GM, a very hostile place),and here (BFTP), a more quiet place where we can discuss (TENNIS) between civilized people.
True. A pity though that as long as the type of behaviour as we know it from GM is tolerated that we'll always have to wait until players are retired for 20 or more years until we can discuss them in a civilized manner. Don't get me wrong, I love the oldies. In fact, I even prefer them. But it's frustrating that you can never say anything about a current player without getting crude comments and trash talk from toddlers that sound as though John McEnroe has just pissed on their tongues.

Andy T
Sep 18th, 2010, 01:24 PM
For what this is worth- I just want to be clear that these incidents with "Rhymes with Bust" had nothing to do with any kind of personal argument- as an argument takes two people. It involved a poster who decided that they clearly didn't like what I had to say about Justine (fair enough) and got extremely ugly about this (not fair enough.) I did not nor do I ever respond specifically to such a person- other than to do what I've only done this one time on ANY site- put this person on Ignore (life being too short and all that.)

To be blunt- on the other tennis site I go on (a lot more)- this would never have been tolerated by folks there against anyone. And this IMO has nothing to do with me being sensitive, unexpectedly or not. When one has, as you correctly and fairly put it, a strange sense of humor such as me- you'd best learn that if you're going to dish it out, you'd better be willing to take it. It's just, I have enough self respect that, when someone gets really, really ugly twice against me, you do bring this up via PM's, and nothing happens (at least as far as you can tell)- and then unlike others you're also not one of The Chosen Ones ;) meeting folks in the flesh (except daze one time, lucky fellow :unsure:) or otherwise (fortunately, at least I'm more "in" elsewhere) (so there :tape:)- well, really, what's the point of putting yourself in the position of sticking around quite so much?

Still, Rollo asked- so, I figured that I'd bring this and other points up- that the group can choose to think about or not. To suggest that folks may wish to "defend" others (I've seen incidents involving others here), INCLUDING those you may not be friends with and/or isn't really in any "Clique", so that a more "safe" environment can be created, if it matters having more folks stick around more often. Or not. And BTW, nor do I mean to suggest that BFTP is anywhere near the level of the general threads- which IMO involve a level of insanity that makes my strange sense of humor seem quite tame.

In any case, for me, I'll keep my distance, other than now and then to check in for my own interests, with Nancy Richey, tennis history, facts & draw sheets, interesting threads, and see how some folks are doing. Again to be blunt- I learned in this thread pretty much what I expected to learn as far as I'm concerned, and my "place"- no surprises. For me, it's more than enough that I've said my piece. For the sake of the group, of course- that's up to the group.

I also do totally respect BTW that many very understandably don't like and/or wish to avoid conflicts- especially if they do seem ugly. But, all I can suggest is, a group can pay a price for this- and/or, just hope that someone doesn't one day arbitrarily decide to go after you here, with little to no response.
Nelslus,:wavey: it seems we're in a similar position as posters who (a) have a sense of humour that can sometimes be misunderstood - or understood and not appreciated - (b) contribute very sporadically nowadays through general disillusionment and other
distractions/interests/worries & (c) definitely don't perceive themselves as being in any clique.

Maybe the voices of reason no longer read through threads on certain topics in order to avoid the sort of comments/exchanges you're talking about and in that case they won't step in because they don't even know there's a problem.

Rollo
Oct 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Just a reminder that I have NOT forgotten about this thread. I will gradually be reviewing the ideas put forward in this thread and making changes based on your imput.

Please see this thread regarding a chat thread:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=421485

Calvin M.
Oct 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I don't post here much but Blast is ALWAYS the first forum I enter after logging in. Haven't seen any negative posts at all. Disagreements that go on for a few pages but they're spirited in a good way. Despite my minimal contribution, I enjoy Blast a lot. On a personal note, it's nice to see members who appear to be my age (I'm 48) or at least were born before, say, 1980. Long live Blast From The Past!!!