PDA

View Full Version : Graf is no way the greatest ever

selesisqueen
Sep 10th, 2010, 02:12 AM
There seem to be many people who consider Steffi Graf the greatest female player ever, maybe even the consensus best ever slightly over Martina Navratilova, and far ahead of Evert and Court (as far as support in this topic). This is clearly ridiculous. Steffi Graf is far from the greatest female player of all time. Reasons why:

1. She does not hold the record of most titles at any of the 4 Slams. Nor does she hold the record for the most titles at the 4 slam events combined.

2. Her record of most weeks at #1 is flawed. Lenglen or Wills Moody or possibly Court would hold that record had computer rankings been around then.

3. She posted a pathetic 8-4 head to head vs a 30+ year old Navratilova. How can the greatest ever allow a 30 something year old women to beat her a third of the times they play.

4. She allowed a 30 year old Navratilova to win Wimbledon and the U.S Open and a 33 year old Navratilova to win Wimbledon. How can the greatest ever allow a 30 something year old women to win 3 slam titles. Even worse she allowed the 30 year old Navratilova to spank her in both the Wimbledon and U.S Open finals in 1987, shameful for a supposed greatest ever.

5. She never dominated against strong competition. She began to dominate the womens game when Martina was 31 and Chris was 33. She then dominated again after Seles was stabbed. When Martina and Chris were only really old other than extraordinary old she could barely win anything, when Seles was in her prime and before being stabbed she could barely win anything, and when Hingis emerged she could barely win anything. She was beaten up at the start, middle, and end of her days as a top contender and was only the dominant top dog in the period between the start and middle and between the middle and end due to circumstances. What kind of a GOAT is that.

Her whole career is sort of a fraud. She is a top 10 player all time, maybe even top 8. However very far from #1. At best the 6th or 7th greatest player of the Open Era behind Martina, Chris, Serena, Court, Seles, and maybe Billie Jean.

Rollo
Sep 10th, 2010, 03:05 AM
There are many valid arguments for why Graf is not the greatest ever. You've touched on some of them. But saying she is in "no way" the greatest ever?

She won THE Grand Slam. That alone puts her in the conversation. Period.

And I might be tempted to debate the topic with you if your sole purpose wasn't to drag down a player. But that is your sole purpose, and I have to say it's only had the opposite effect on me.

We are here to celebrate the history of tennis and it's players, not denigrate them. Therefore there is "no way" this thread goes foreward.

Do not post here in the Blast again until I give you permission. I hope this gives you time to reflect on your post.