PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Maria?

xan
Sep 7th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I said big changes were needed after the French Open loss. People said, wait and see, so we've waited, and Maria keeps on losing the big matches.

She had bad draws at WImbledon and the French, And it seemed for a while that she was picking up confidence over the US hardcourt season - then came that loss to Kim after getting in to what was an "impossible to lose" position.

Now she's gone out early again in a slam - and this time there are NO excuses. Wozniaki is by no means unbeatable, and is playing her 4th straight week of tennis. Maria's stats through the tournament up to this match have been among the best. yet still she crashes out before the QF.

So what is wrong?

Is it physical? She's been serving some of her biggest career serves, her net play is better as is her footwork, her stats on percentage wins on serve and return have been good. I'm nos so sure the problem is still physical.

I think her trouble is mental. She doesn't have the tactics to pull her out of difficult matches. She doesn't have the confidence in clutch matches, and her serve gets worse when it should get better. Witness Birmingham and other matches. If you look at pictures of her during most matches this year. Her face looks worried and anguished most of the time. When she was starting to do better this summer, her "match" face started to look more confident and determined. But "anxious Masha" reappeared at the USO. The biggest clincher is her record this season on converting Break Points. It is TERRIBLE. Why is she SO bad at winning break points? Because she is getting nervous in these situations and klutzing it up!

That's why she URGENTLY needs NEW input on the mental and tactical side. She hasn't had a proper coach since Lansdorp - and the evidence is that she definitely needs one to get her over this hump. I don't think she can do it on her own.

Feyd
Sep 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM
If you look at pictures of her during most matches this year. Her face looks worried and anguished most of the time.

Actually her face during the interview after Capra match was more worrying for me. I mean she double bagelled her, but she still had a sad and depressed face during that interview.

Nina.
Sep 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I agree with xan. It seems to be mainly a mental problem and I also realized her worried facial expression during yesterday's match.
No matter how often journalists/commentaors/fans say how mentally tough she is and what a fighter she is I don't really see that as much as it used to be.
She clearly has a problem when facing higher ranked players (Na Li in Birmingham, Woz, Kim). I would exclude the Wimbledon match a bit because she played quite well. Still, her serve let her down in crucial situations.

I think that's a problem she has to face. And imo the solution is not just playing more matches until everything goes back to how it used to be pre-surgery because I doubt the problems will be sorted out that way.

xan
Sep 7th, 2010, 01:54 PM
On Maria's "look".....

Here she is when playing with confidence in 2008
http://a.imageshack.us/img836/9341/77266may162008romeqfssi.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img820/1217/77259may162008romeqfssi.jpg

.....and here is Maria in recent matches:
http://a.imageshack.us/img826/5017/birmsemifinalmaldita312.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img839/1696/masharcelebutopia49.jpg
Imageshack seems to be degrading the pictures somehow.
But you can still see a big difference in anxiety/stress in recent pictures

Monzanator
Sep 7th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Surely you haven't started this topic on behalf of her loss vs Wozniacki alone? I mean Woz was better player on the day and despite all the hate on TF, she's much better then majority here would like her to be :shrug: Just because her style of play hardly sets the roof on fire, she's always the most dangerous type of opponent for somebody like Maria...

The mental problem with Maria is due to the fact she probably knows her shoulder is nohwere near it was before the injuries and even now, when she came back to the old service motion, it's just not as sharp as it was. And because she knows it, she's destined for more potential slip-ups then in the previous years. Does she have the courage to admit it's going to be a terminal problem and won't go away, I don't know.

Doc
Sep 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
No. Maria has been in good shape this year physically. But she's been off-form mentally all year, losing early in all the slams

She needs new input to boost her confdence and teach her some new options.

nelsondan
Sep 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM
She says all the right things. But she is no longer the free, open spirit she was prior to her injury time off in 2008-2009.

She no longer writes doodles, being content to offer whatever on twitter. She has won three grand slams, she has made between 20 to 30 million dollars a year for several years now. She seems to have a major boyfriend. I think she has worked hard, unbelievably hard to recover. But there have to be moments when she thinks--is it still all worth it. Her press interviews lack sparkle--she is so careful and predictable in her responses. That would be great if the motive were to avoid anything which takes her focus off tennis--not sure that is the case.

I sensed a subtle self-sabotage going on in yesterday's match. There were things which were working, but she stubbornly kept trying to get things done more quickly, instead of staying methodically patient. I did not see the familiar sense of urgency at key times--you double fault once, you think about doing whatever it takes to get your bearings--you don't stubbornly say hell with it, I not going to adjust---and then double fault two more times. What we saw her do when she was down 4-1, 0-40 was a brilliant flash of what she is capable of when under pressure. But that sense of urgency was not maintained.

She has a great life, off-court. It is amazing how hard she can still drive herself to do well on court. But I have to wonder if she has key moments where that urgency wanders away.

Sp!ffy
Sep 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I think she needs just one win over a real top player to regain a bit of her confidence.

It must be disappointing to lose to Henin, S. Williams, Wozniacki, Clijsters in matches that she would have won in her earlier years. She needs to reassert herself in that upper league of players.

Dieter.
Sep 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I think she needs just one win over a real top player to regain a bit of her confidence.

It must be disappointing to lose to Henin, S. Williams, Wozniacki, Clijsters in matches that she would have won in her earlier years. She needs to reassert herself in that upper league of players.

This. A win against a player like Kim or Serena will convince her she can beat the best and make her more confident in the future.

JamieOwen3
Sep 7th, 2010, 07:58 PM
whatever's wrong with her i hope she fixes it soon, and if it can't be fixed well ill still be here supporting her :angel:

Nina.
Sep 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM
still the question rememains, how is she gonna get that win against a top player?

Dieter.
Sep 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
still the question rememains, how is she gonna get that win against a top player?

In the Cincy final against Kim she was very close to doing it, same at the French Open against Henin. If there wouldn't have been delays at those matches I'm sure she would have beaten both of them. So she is definitely able of winning against such players. She just need a little more luck in those matches.

nelsondan
Sep 7th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I think beating Serena, anywhere, would be big.

Maria Croft
Sep 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I think the answer is that nothing is wrong with her at the moment.

It's just not clicking at the important moments, after such a serious injury you have to wonder if it ever will.

I hope she keeps improving, if she will (which I think she will) she will win a Slam again one day. Some better Slam draws wouldn't hurt either though.

Craig.
Sep 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
She's just so inconsistent. 'Her serve is back!' It certainly seemed like it was before and during Wimbledon, but then she shits her pants throwing in 3 straight DFs to get broken in the first set against Woz. Why? Is it mental, is it that toss? Was it the stupid wind? Who knows? What I do know is that and I think it's pretty obvious...her whole game has not been on for a long enough period of time for her to stop doubting it. If she could play just a couple tournaments with everything working as well it could or as well as it has in the past, that would give her some confidence. Now I'm not saying she needs 15 aces and no DFs to beat the likes of Capra, but against the elite, that's close to what it takes...

That BP conversion, all those missed chances :help: I get that Serena and Justine are as tenacious as it gets, but for someone as determined, hungy and tough as Maria, to waste so many opportunities is unreal. And she even mentions it after her losses 'I just didn't take my chances when I got them.' She knows it, now she's gotta do something about it.

The movement is another issue. Well really it always has been except maybe in 2004 and 2005 when she was actually a pretty decent mover. She can't really improve much in that regard...genetics, body type, etc. all play their part. Her footwork and how she positions herself to hit the ball are really horrific at times, she can be late and just look plain clumsy out there. 90% of the time...when she's stretched out wide (especially to the forehand), she loses the point. At her peak or close to it, she was on top of the ball. Literally :lol: She wasn't fast, but she didn't look slow because she would place herself so well around the ball to smack it for a winner.

It's certainly not over. She's not part of the 'elite' anymore but I don't think she'll retire until she gets back there and wins a couple more slams. She's even said herself that when she was out during those 9 months, the thought of just leaving the sport never even came to her, because she knew she could do more, that she could be a better tennis player. It'll take, as always a lot of hard work and amazing determination (which as we know Maria has in spades) and maybe a change in coaching. Her tactical side leaves a little to be desired sometimes (it really showed against Wozniacki yesterday) so perhaps a different view of things might be good?

I just want to add a little something...remember Semipova? Even when she was close to her best, she didn't have the easiest time against the elite and quite often came up short in tight 3-setters against them...It's not that different now. I think part of the reason people are making a bigger deal about her recent losses is cause they've come earlier. Instead of them being in the SF, they've been in the R16. Had she met Wozniacki in the SF instead and lost, it wouldn't seem as bad because you know...she made it to the SF of a slam again.

Sp!ffy
Sep 7th, 2010, 08:47 PM

Time. Last year she lost to no-name Oudin in the 3R. This year she lost to the top seed Wozniacki in the 4R. Last year she lost to Dulko in Wimbledon in the 2R. This year she lost to the top seed and eventual champion in the 4R. Last year she was thrashed by Cibulkova at RG in the QF. This year she lost to Justine Henin (on a 40 SET winning streak) in three sets in the 3R. Last year she didn't even PLAY at the AO and this year at least she got to step onto the court despite losing to Kirilenko in the first round.

As Maria fans, we're asking too much of Maria too fast. I think it was sort of childish of us to expect her to win the USO, to assume she would crush Wozniacki, etc. etc.

Surely but slowly, Maria has been getting better. Unfortunately, it just didn't happen this time.

Sure we can look at trends like: Maria wins slams on odd years, Maria loses when her 3rd match at the USO is a day match after two night matches, Maria has beat the #1 seed in every slam, etc. but ONE trend that for sure isn't coincidental is that Maria's statistics have been inclining steadily and we can almost SURELY expect a better year next year.

gc-spurs
Sep 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Time. Last year she lost to no-name Oudin in the 3R. This year she lost to the top seed Wozniacki in the 4R. Last year she lost to Dulko in Wimbledon in the 2R. This year she lost to the top seed and eventual champion in the 4R. Last year she was thrashed by Cibulkova at RG in the QF. This year she lost to Justine Henin (on a 40 SET winning streak) in three sets in the 3R. Last year she didn't even PLAY at the AO and this year at least she got to step onto the court despite losing to Kirilenko in the first round.

As Maria fans, we're asking too much of Maria too fast. I think it was sort of childish of us to expect her to win the USO, to assume she would crush Wozniacki, etc. etc.

Surely but slowly, Maria has been getting better. Unfortunately, it just didn't happen this time.

Sure we can look at trends like: Maria wins slams on odd years, Maria loses when her 3rd match at the USO is a day match after two night matches, Maria has beat the #1 seed in every slam, etc. but ONE trend that for sure isn't coincidental is that Maria's statistics have been inclining steadily and we can almost SURELY expect a better year next year.

No doubt she's improving since last year, better slam results, losing to better players etc, but her mental game hasn't. Same story every loss since June. Didn't bring it in that 1sd set vs Henin (I don't remember the 3rd very well, must have suppressed it), DF'd and errors at vital times in the TB vs Serena, MPs vs Kim, lord knows what she was thinking yesterday. Its the same story each time. Good form leading up to the big opponent, low DFs relatively, then on the day its Poova mode.

slamchamp
Sep 7th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Remember her movement in late 2006?? It was amazing! Just watching some of the matches at the usopen that year you see it..at the semis with mauresmo:drool: I just don't get why she didnt keep working with thay guy she said she worked after wimbledon that year. I just wanna meet Maria and ask her all of this!!:lol:

Doc
Sep 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Maria has most of the physical stuff. It's getting her the kick up the backside she needs to sort out the mental issues. And that takes either Yuri returning or a good new coach. She's had 18 months back now, and hasn't got over the hump.

I think another (minor) problem is her grunt/shriek. Apart from annoying a lot of journalists in the UK and Oz, and perhaps losing her some crowd support, it is starting to give her away...

Just listen to her shriek when she is confident and winning, and compare it to when she is struggling in a match. THE SHRIEK CHANGES. It becomes more despairing and strangled. Maria - This is sending a big message to your opponents that you are not confident and feeling desperate! And don't think they aren't receiving it.

She needs to change the grunt. I'd say lower the pitch, so it is less like a shriek, and doesn't give so much away. This would also do a lot to lessen the heat on her from the journos.

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Maria has most of the physical stuff. It's getting her the kick up the backside she needs to sort out the mental issues. And that takes either Yuri returning or a good new coach. She's had 18 months back now, and hasn't got over the hump.

I think another (minor) problem is her grunt/shriek. Apart from annoying a lot of journalists in the UK and Oz, and perhaps losing her some crowd support, it is starting to give her away...

Just listen to her shriek when she is confident and winning, and compare it to when she is struggling in a match. THE SHRIEK CHANGES. It becomes more despairing and strangled. Maria - This is sending a big message to your opponents that you are not confident and feeling desperate! And don't think they aren't receiving it.

She needs to change the grunt. I'd say lower the pitch, so it is less like a shriek, and doesn't give so much away. This would also do a lot to lessen the heat on her from the journos.

I don't think she could really control the way she shrieks.:rolls: It's natural to her. Thinking about how to shriek would be much more of a distraction than help imo. :shrug::lol:

Jovana.
Sep 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM
it's all mental, she just needs to break that block, and I think she needs either a new coach or just to add someone in her team who can help her (Yuri?) :shrug:

Nina.
Sep 8th, 2010, 03:22 PM

I'm not saying that she didn't make any progress since she came back. And I didn't really expect her to win USO although I obviously hope for a great run.
The Woz has been incredibly solid this summer so in the end a loss to her isn't the end of the world. But what bothers me is that she once again broke down mentally (just lile Giselle said, I think it's mainly a mental problem) and also that she her game plan - if she really had one - sucked big.

No doubt she's improving since last year, better slam results, losing to better players etc, but her mental game hasn't. Same story every loss since June. Didn't bring it in that 1sd set vs Henin (I don't remember the 3rd very well, must have suppressed it), DF'd and errors at vital times in the TB vs Serena, MPs vs Kim, lord knows what she was thinking yesterday. Its the same story each time. Good form leading up to the big opponent, low DFs relatively, then on the day its Poova mode.

Agree completely. And I think she was up a break in the third against Justine, probably even had bp to break again.

I don't think she could really control the way she shrieks.:rolls: It's natural to her. Thinking about how to shriek would be much more of a distraction than help imo. :shrug::lol:

It's probably right but Doc has a point. Sometimes her shriek sounds really desperate :awww:

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Agree completely. And I think she was up a break in the third against Justine, probably even had bp to break again.

She was up a break and 40-0 on Justine's serve, wasn't she?:o Damn. That one hurt!

It's probably right but Doc has a point. Sometimes her shriek sounds really desperate :awww:

It does. I'm more concerned by her periods of silence, though... While her desperate shrieks worry me, the silence's got me scared for real! :scared:

slamchamp
Sep 8th, 2010, 03:55 PM
and let's not gorget she had like 2 sps against serena:tape: Oh and she was 4-2 up against kiri:o Oh yeah and had 3 freaking mps against kim! and on and on and on

lefty24
Sep 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM
it's all mental, she just needs to break that block, and I think she needs either a new coach or just to add someone in her team who can help her (Yuri?) :shrug:

At first I thought you said she needs a new couch. :o

Like everyone has been saying the problem is that she can't convert important points. She can get there no doubt but getting there is not going to do anything if you can't convert the points.

ideoxo
Sep 8th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Well she lacks confidence that's for sure she lost 2 finals in a row this summer and she had Mpoints against Clijsters that hurts but I think she is in better shape mentally and physically than last year.
There is improvement on her serve too but still all those gifts she gives sometimes it's really painful I don't think she has a chance to play YEC this year she have to win Tokyo and then do really well in Pekin and we all know Maria just can't stay healthy 2 weeks in a row these days.
It's a shame I really want her to improve this rankings before OZ 2011.

gc-spurs
Sep 8th, 2010, 09:38 PM

She was up a break and 40-0 on Justine's serve, wasn't she?:o Damn. That one hurt!

Omg thats right! :hysteric::hysteric:
No wonder I can't remember that one, thats a big cut- had to bury that shit deep!
Point is, too many big 'what if' moments in one season.

xan
Sep 9th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I didn't realise she still had a chance at the YEC, but otherwise this year has been wasted. All those missed chances are really painful.

That's why I think a good new coach is a necessity. She's tried 2 years nearly of the old regime. A coach would give her a new start in a way, and might be just what she needs to get her over the mental hump. I don't think she could stop her grunting. But she could modify it with practice so it doesn't give so much away.

Sp!ffy
Sep 9th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Lately I've been actually getting annoyed with Maria's shriek. It's like she is FORCING herself to hit hard.

Before I had no problem with the grunt because she would back it with a clean, nice shot. But now she screams as loud as she can and hits a ball into the net.......

This year was so patchy. :bigcry:

istase2000
Sep 9th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Bring the confident grunt back :armed:

All the commentators are talking up caro because maria's her first big win, but honestly, even though maria made 36 ue - she only lost by 2 breaks - both of which she conceded with a DF :o

The match could've been very different if masha could take her break chances. 1/9 in this match:sad:

But I give credit, caro played solid especially on the big points and I guess it's not her fault she got gifted breaks with dfs :rolls:

Sp!ffy
Sep 9th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Maria has been disgusting with break points this year.

~MashyOwnThemAll
Sep 9th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Maria's shriek before the injury and before the come back was fantastic. It was energetic, most powerful, with totally attack-attitude, filled up with fresh confidence include her mental "never give up" strength. Love to hear this always.
The real "Sharapova-feeling" for her fans when she was in a bloody, tight (handycap) BATTLE and she just won!

Well, her actually GROAN is so deep-toned unconfident voice, defensive-attitude and without any "good shriek" - what hears like she is in a infinite suffer agonies on court. :sad: :hug:

:sobbing:

istase2000
Sep 9th, 2010, 07:26 AM
i agree maria's shriek in 08 :hearts:

WKp7UUrMUiM
at this point last year, I thought she was on her way back to her best with matches like this. her grunt here is quite confident :lol:

but generally maria is noisier when she's struggling

Maria rocks
Sep 9th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Actually her face during the interview after Capra match was more worrying for me. I mean she double bagelled her, but she still had a sad and depressed face during that interview.

I just think she is frustrated at the moment. She was a lot better when she had her father on board.

ideoxo
Sep 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Every year she is getting better now she is losing to the best players at majors even though I know this loss against Pushniacki is quite worrying:lol: the pusher is confident and let's face it she was serioulsy running like a dog out there she wanted this match badly Maria lacked patience in this match and variety but somehow it's the way she plays now on fast HC she doesn't use angles with her BH or FH this surface seems to suit her game very well in the past I still think it does but w/o the serve it's just not the same thing.
Maria needs to improve her rankings but her schedule is so limited seriously she plays like 12 tournaments a year what is that? I do believe she will do well in Australia considering she lost last year in the first round but again she will have to face one of the top 4 in 4th round again:rolleyes:

gc-spurs
Sep 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
You guys needn't panic, she's still a contender. Losing against Henin on clay at the French, against Serena on grass at Wimbledon and against the number one seed at the US Open aren't awful losses. No matter what her ranking is, every sane person still counts Sharapova among the faves at any event she enters.

On paper, the losses seem fine. Its just the way she's losing thats troubling- handing things to opponents instead of them stepping it up and beating her with simply better play. I'll admit Wozniacki played a fine game (considering :rolleyes:) but the way Maria was broken was not because Wozniacki outplayed her.

Maria rocks
Sep 9th, 2010, 12:31 PM
On paper, the losses seem fine. Its just the way she's losing thats troubling- handing things to opponents instead of them stepping it up and beating her with simply better play. I'll admit Wozniacki played a fine game (considering :rolleyes:) but the way Maria was broken was not because Wozniacki outplayed her.

I agree with you 100%

JamieOwen3
Sep 9th, 2010, 03:09 PM
even here where she lost, her ground strokes seem cleaner and heavier :sad: that darn shoulder injury ruined everything and ruined a champions destiny.i believe she could have atleast 6 slams now if it weren't for that injury. :mad:

a-rBOiRj-vA

JamieOwen3
Sep 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Well, Wozniacki rarely (if ever) blows anyone of court. But she's great at getting under other players' skins, keeping the ball in play when the previous shot would have been a winner against almost anyone else and thus forcing them to take risks that lead to too many UE. I'm sure that most of you will agree with that statement. The only difference is that most of you guys see that as a negative while I see it as a valid tactic and one that requires as much skill and courage as any other. But be that as it may, I don't think that Maria is done yet and I wish her all the best for the future (which is probably more than some of you wish for Caroline).

actually after that match Caro gained a lot more respect from me personally, she definitely has more power than a couple of years ago i just wish she'd hit a winner when there's a winner to be hit. Most of the time she just carries on with the rally but ive seen her take it on and hit the winner more often the past month.

slamchamp
Sep 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM
please don't start talking about caro here!:sobbing:

gc-spurs
Sep 9th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Well, Wozniacki rarely (if ever) blows anyone of court. But she's great at getting under other players' skins, keeping the ball in play when the previous shot would have been a winner against almost anyone else and thus forcing them to take risks that lead to too many UE. I'm sure that most of you will agree with that statement. The only difference is that most of you guys see that as a negative while I see it as a valid tactic and one that requires as much skill and courage as any other. But be that as it may, I don't think that Maria is done yet and I wish her all the best for the future (which is probably more than some of you wish for Caroline).

No doubt, and as much as I hate it she showed just how good she was at it and I would classify that as outplaying Maria. But I'm talking about the times when Caro didn't outplay her, she just lost it ie. when serving. No need to go for the serves that much, its not like Caro is the best returner, she's not really gonna hit a winner of the serve the way Serena did. Or on ROS, Caro has an improved serve but not really enough to bother Maria. But she just kept trying to blast winners from there which landed wayyyy behind the baseline, Caro didn't even have to work for the point.

Sp!ffy
Sep 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM

:weirdo::weirdo::weirdo::weirdo::weirdo:

Maria rocks
Sep 10th, 2010, 07:27 AM
please don't start talking about caro here!:sobbing:

Oh i know its so annoying how people are so obsessed with her. Maria on her day is a a million times the player Wozniacki is!!!

Maria rocks
Sep 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Owue9zevLY&feature=related

Beautiful. Brings a lump to your throat. Especially at the end when she runs to her dad.

Chrissie-fan
Sep 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Oh i know its so annoying how people are so obsessed with her. Maria on her day is a a million times the player Wozniacki is!!!
No need to shout. :) It's not my intention to upset you guys, so I've deleted my posts.

Maria rocks
Sep 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
No need to shout. :) It's not my intention to upset you guys, so I've deleted my posts.

You haven't upset me don't worry. :)

MestZ
Sep 10th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Why did Maria's dad stop travelling with her?

Maria rocks
Sep 10th, 2010, 01:00 PM

That is what i want to know!!! She deffo is not the same without him.

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM

He practically dedicated 14 years of his own life to Maria's career and success. It was about time for him to live his own life again. Can't blame him. :shrug:

JamieOwen3
Sep 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
the times you would hear him shout vamos must have pumped her up or something, i know he dedicated so many years so she could have her career, but maybe he should been tour with her half the year or in the slams? :shrug:

Doc
Sep 10th, 2010, 06:51 PM
He practically dedicated 14 years of his own life to Maria's career and success. It was about time for him to live his own life again. Can't blame him. :shrug:

That's the official story. I'm not so sure how much truth there is in it. Myself I can't see Yuri leaving Maria's camp voluntarily. He was SO fanatical about Maria's training and performance. In 2005 Lansdorp got sacked when he suggested Yuri should go. I think the breaking point came when the TV networks started keeping cameras permanently trained on Yuri while Maria was playing. They then broadcast unfair stories alleging he was playing dirty tricks and coaching during matches. I remember they made a lot of fuss about him signalling Maria to have a drink. Of course they ignored what was going on in Maria's opponents' boxes.

So I think the strains caused a break-up. I worry though that Maria hasn't maintained her Top 5 ranking since. Yuri was someone who wasn't afraid of giving Maria a telling off when she needed it.

cyannnnn
Sep 10th, 2010, 07:35 PM
for me it's because what yuri did at the AO2008 against justine, wta tells him doesn't come back.
and they invent the story that he need a own life

Jovana.
Sep 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I highly doubt that the WTA banned him but I also doubt the whole he wanted his own life story, since he was really into Maria's tennis career and he does not seem like the type to suddenly leave the position he was so much into. I think that if she brought him back things would definitely improve, he is her father and has the biggest influence on her mentally, he doesn't have to be at the matches perhaps, but during training I think he would help a lot.

goldlion
Sep 11th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I highly doubt that the WTA banned him but I also doubt the whole he wanted his own life story, since he was really into Maria's tennis career and he does not seem like the type to suddenly leave the position he was so much into. I think that if she brought him back things would definitely improve, he is her father and has the biggest influence on her mentally, he doesn't have to be at the matches perhaps, but during training I think he would help a lot.

Well obviously WTA won't have the gut the oppose Maria, remember what she did on her website when she was forced to do the commercial shot in Rome several years ago? Also, she was telling others how WTA talked to her when she withdrew from the Berlin in 2008? She specifically said if she played Charleston then she won't be participating Berlin and WTA got pissed when she didn't commit Berlin which was why she cited injury withdrawal.

She just didn't play her best when it matters the most. Her losses to Jusine and Serena are respectable but obviously she couldn't capitalise the chances that she had in both matches. Had she been able to win the first set against Serena it could have been a different story from there onwards. But it is just what it is. Serena proved her how to play under pressure. Your game shouldn't choke when your under pressure but Maria just served badly especially at he moment that matters.

Talking about her loss against Wozniacki, apparently Wozniacki was a better player on that day. There was a moment that I felt if Maria could force a break in the 2nd set the match would turn around, which is the point when Wozniacki was serving at 2-3 0-30; Maria pushed too much and ended up with 4 UE to let her hold the game. Caroline didn't give her the chance to break but we could also said Maria hadn't been patient and precise enough. Obviously she knew what she was doing but the execution wasn't there. I couldn't feel her disappointment after she missed those shots because this year's USO she really had a good chance to go further.

I hope she could give her best for the rest of 2010. 3 or 4 tournaments before the season ends but I'm looking forward to 2011. Things should have changed by that time. She's the type of girl that will work incredibly hard on her weakness and results will come and the hard work will pay off. I'm still inspired by her daily and seeing her effort to work her way up is just incredible because I can sense the determination underneath. It really differentiate her from other players and she's so professional as a tennis player that you can never count her out even tho she's not in top 10. She may not be playing her best tennis but she definitely will not give you the win easily.

KK2009
Sep 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Her game used to be so effortless, at least against 15+ players, with her powerful serve. I suggest Maria step back and think about other options without it. She relies so much on her serve that misses the big picture of the match.

Maria Croft
Sep 11th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I don't understand all the Yuri love. It was always so annoying how the camera would be on him all the time, hoping he would do something outrageous. And it's not like she never lost close matches or got her ass kicked for that matter when he was around.

If you want some new input, I think Yuri is the wrong person to ask for that.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Sep 11th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Everyone seems to think getting a new coach would help her. :unsure: I do not know what is "wrong" with her, probably some mental issues she's having on her game (because she's able to raise her level at times, we've seen that - especially her serve is much better when playing lower ranked players).

But her team is a professional, I don't think anyone of us would know better than them.

xan
Sep 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Everyone seems to think getting a new coach would help her. :unsure: I do not know what is "wrong" with her, probably some mental issues she's having on her game (because she's able to raise her level at times, we've seen that - especially her serve is much better when playing lower ranked players).

But her team is a professional, I don't think anyone of us would know better than them.

The right coach would DEFINITELY help Maria. :cool: She has never had a proper full-time trained coach. Bollitieri and Lansdorp helped her part-time for a while, and then there was Yuri. There is loads that the right person could bring her to add to her game. Her current team is basically Michael Joyce, who was hired as a hitter, along with a physiotherapist and assistant.

The mental issues need dealing with through some sort of visualisation or mental excercise. And she also needs tactical help so she doesn't get bogged down in matches without being able to turn things round and change things up.

She's done a lot on her own, dealing with her serve, and coming to net more, but she needs new input of the sort that has refreshed other players games and helped them get past the sort of logjam Maria is in now.

Maria rocks
Sep 13th, 2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Owue9zevLY&feature=related

and your telling me she don't need her dad. He needs to get back involved pronto.

Doc
Sep 14th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Yuri certainly added some passion.

Maria rocks
Sep 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Yuri certainly added some passion.

Brings a lump to my throat when i saw how proud he was of her when she won Wimbledon when she was 17.

MaggieSharapova
Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
I think her trouble is mental

agree with this! her couch and the team is not the prob, when I watch her on the matches, there is a moment when it's like she's gonna cry on anytime, and some others it's like she's physically on the court but on her mind she's not there, her dad needs to get more involved

Monzanator
Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Funny thing, half of the SS wanted Yuri out of the picture and now that he's gone, everyone wants him back :lol: I think dropping Joyce would be the best thing, but I guess this is out of question given the longevity of their partnership :shrug:

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Funny thing, half of the SS wanted Yuri out of the picture and now that he's gone, everyone wants him back :lol: I think dropping Joyce would be the best thing, but I guess this is out of question given the longevity of their partnership :shrug:

i9QYv9XBMHI

Monzanator
Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Is it that bad, you think Maja?

Solidus
Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
:spit: *at video*

Marilyn Monheaux
Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:12 AM
:unsure::confused::scratch:

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:00 AM
IMo Maria needs more than just a friend as her trainer.Michael knows how to calm her down and make her relax and other stuff but when it comes to mental issues like Maria has right now she needs someone to tell her what she is doing wrong and try to improve those things.

If I were Maria I would bring up the 2004/05 coach she had!

Marilyn Monheaux
Oct 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
If only we she knew...

s2crux
Oct 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Please tell me what happened with you, maria.
you always make me down

jimmy_the_greek
Oct 5th, 2010, 12:13 PM
only she knows this answer to this:sad:
like i said maybe she is putting to much pressure on herself, because she knows she isn't playing her best tennis at the moment. Hopefully she sorts out anything she needs to:)

slamchamp
Oct 5th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I don't think she looks pressured but more like down..without much energy and passion..at least in this asian tour