PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova visits hometown affected by Chernobyl

VIKA?
Aug 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM
This week's edition of ESPN's newsmagazine E:60 included a segment on Maria Sharapova's recent visit to her hometown, which her parents fled in the wake of the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl. If not for the move, Sharapova likely never would have gotten into tennis, she says.

It's a fine piece that broadly covers Sharapova's career, Martina Navratilova's role in getting her to the United States, her and her father's modest start here, and also details the charity work of the world's top-earning female athlete. We could have done without Rachel Nichols' question of whether Sharapova should be donating more money to programs in Russia (it seemed gratuitious and a bit uncouth in such a setting), but that's a trivial matter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Video-Maria-Sharapova-visits-hometown-affected-;_ylt=AkrEUVPhI0tL24hakDgyZe04v7YF?urn=ten-263298

there's also a video on the link:)

pattty
Aug 19th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Watched it this morning

DefyingGravity
Aug 19th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Sharapova speaking Russian is always cute!

PandoraPandora
Aug 19th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I think Maria's story could be made into a film one day. I think people underestimate what she went through as a child. Most young people I know could never have coped with what she has and got through it. I admire her very much. This gives a glimpse into a side of Maria those that say they don't like her either ignore or are unaware of.

Come to think of it the BBC should as her to go on Who Do You Think You Are.

NeoZod19
Aug 20th, 2010, 01:17 AM
What a great story!!! and People still questionning about why she is popular? C'MON guys!!!

slamchamp
Aug 20th, 2010, 01:44 AM
:inlove:

serenus_2k8
Aug 20th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Nice to read :) I love finding out about players history, really makes them more than just 'players'

AnomyBC
Aug 20th, 2010, 01:55 AM
But she wasn't born until after they left, so how is that her hometown?? :confused:

stangtennis
Aug 20th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Maria Sharapova visits hometown affected by Chernobyl
Gomel, Belarus used to be her parent's hometown before she was born. But it was never Maria's hometown, as her parents moved to Nyagan, Siberia far away from Gomel and Chernobyl, 4 months before she was born, because they didn't want to expose a baby to that nuclear affected region. They moved to Siberia because her mom's dad happened to be working in Siberia.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Maria+Sharapova+plans+1st+trip+back+to+Chernobyl+s ince+family+fled-a01611382027

edificio
Aug 20th, 2010, 02:01 AM
But she wasn't born until after they left, so how is that her hometown?? :confused:

Yeah, I don't get that.

It was nice of Maria to visit, but...I hope she put some money into the place (I'm sure she did).

I'm not seeing a movie out of this story, or even a trade paperback.

Renalicious
Aug 20th, 2010, 02:14 AM
:awww: Awwwwww.

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 20th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Saint Maria :angel:

AnomyBC
Aug 20th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Yeah, I don't get that.

It was nice of Maria to visit, but...I hope she put some money into the place (I'm sure she did).

I'm not seeing a movie out of this story, or even a trade paperback.

I think Maria's life would make an awesome movie. I'd definitely see it. Although in my version Maria would get a bionic shoulder in 2009 and go on to win the next 25 slams :)

Vartan
Aug 20th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I think Maria's life would make an awesome movie. I'd definitely see it. Although in my version Maria would get a bionic shoulder in 2009 and go on to win the next 25 slams :)

:lol:

tennis-insomniac
Aug 20th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Aww Maria you're awesome!