1. Watching Monica outlast Steffi in the 1992 French Open final! One of my very favorite matches...
2. Seles' 1995 US Open comeback & her final against Steffi
3. Watching Monica win her very first Grand Slam title in the 1990 FO final against, who else, Graf...
4. Monica's 1996 Australian Open title victory
5. 1999 Australian Open quarters: Seles d. Graf, 7-5, 6-1... nice to see Seles finally beat Graf again after a few years
6. 2000 Olympics: Monica wins bronze
7. 1989 Houston quarters: Seles upsets Evert
8. 1989 FO semis: upstart Monica gives Graf all she can handle (& then some)
9. 1991 USO semis: Monica holds off future GS champ Capriati, 7-6 in the third
10. 1991 Toshiba final: Monica barely loses to Capriati in a superb final
**There are just so many wonderful moments from Monica's career to choose from... it's tough to pick just ten. <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
Oct 2nd, 2001, 04:15 AM
1. 05 Nov 1997 ::: The 2nd time I met Monica. I showed her my 'Seles' tattoo and my 'Seles' license plate. We talked 1 on 1 for about 15 minutes. I was so naturally high after we were done, I turned around and fell up a big ol' flight of stairs. But it didn't matter! <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
2. 1991 US Open Semifinal
d. JenCap 6.3 3.6 7.6(3)
3. 1995 Canadian Open
first match since 'it' happened
4. 1996 Oz Open
Proved she was for real
5 2001 Summer Hardcourt Season
beat Hingis (twice), Capriati and Serena.
Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:23 PM
I'll keep it to memories from 1998 and on since I started following tennis pretty late. And I've only got 7 fond, fond memories:
1. Monica trouncing Hingis in the 98 Roland Garros semi finals. Amazing
2. Monica winning the bronze medal at the Olympics last year. She played close to her best tennis throughout the whole tournament
3. Monica's run at the Chase Championships last year, what was amazing was how well she played despite being off the tour for months.
4. Monica's run in San Diego and Los Angeles this year, beating Hingis twice, and Capriati and Serena once.
5. Winning the Italian Open in 2000 for her first Tier I victory in ages!
6. Monica's win over Graf in the 1999 Australian Open quarter finals. Graf capitulated but a lot of that was due to Seles upping the tempo towards the end of the first set and beyond.
7. The 1999 Roland Garros semi final versus Steffi Graf. She lost the match but it was very memorable for me, it was a great match and brought up a lot of nervous tension within me!
Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:03 PM
I can't believe I left Monica's '98 FO win over Hingis off the list... that was an incredible match. It was similar to Mary Pierce's destruction of Graf four years earlier, but I enjoyed this match a lot more because it featured Hingis losing badly... <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
Ronny and James
Oct 8th, 2001, 06:59 AM
<IMG SRC="smilies/wavey.gif" border="0">
Oh, great topic! and very hard, here we go.
1. Ronny and I getting to meet her in Oklahoma 2000. We got to see the semifinal and final, then after the match gave her a print out of our website and got autographs (mind-blowing).
2. Her past, what she did-legend 1989-1993
3. 1995 coming back
4. Seles winning the bronze in the 2000 Olympics (didnt get to see the Dokic match though <IMG SRC="smilies/firey.gif" border="0"> ).
5. 1998 French Open semifinal win over Hingis, finally.
6. 1993 Australian open win over Graf.
7. 2001 summer-fall hardcourt/carpet win's over Hingis,s.williams, and Hingis again, & Dokic! (I agree with someones last post on that).
8. Monica's follow-up win against Hingis in 1998 Toronto, Canada.
9. 2000 getting to the final of the year end Championships, in the shadow of the site change controversy to Germany in 2001.
10. possibly getting to see Monica play in person again at the 2002 IGA Oklahoma city tournament (we hope)!!!!! <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/love.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/berzerk.gif" border="0">
Oct 9th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Hello fellow Selestials. Most of mine are personal experiences...I love tennis, but getting to know Monica and becoming friends has made every time I get the chance to see her and talk to her again the most memorable for me. My top ten would take too long, so I'll just share a couple of my fondest memories.
The last...This year in Manhattan Beach.
I had the chance to talk to her after a couple of matches. The last one I saw before flying home was her win over Serena saving all those match points and pulling out the victory...with the crowd going absolutely ape. A truly amazing experience. (Made all the more memorable because she stopped long enough for me to give her an ecstatic hug afterwards before they rushed her off!)
The first... the Manhattan Beach final in 97. (Thankfully a friend taped it while I was there) That was when she beat Lindsay in a terrific three set comeback to finally capture her first title that year after a drought. We had a banner that read "Monica (heart) We Believe in You". That tourney was my first time seeing her in play in person, and after talking to her after each match all week and discovering that she was exactly who I thought she was, the beginning of our friendship.
Ahh...nice thread. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to relive happy moments. Times like these, its a nice change.
Ronny and James
Oct 9th, 2001, 07:53 PM
"Selesworld" I was wondering about your tattoo of Monica. I have been actually wanting to get a tattoo of Monica but wasn't sure if a profile pic would really look like her. Or if I should get an action shot that wouldnt be a face picture. I am so afraid that after it was done it would just looked like a tennis person, haha.
Do you have a pic?
Oct 10th, 2001, 03:35 AM
The most impressive one was the first time I met her last year, she really is a super nice and sweet person, I was so happy to get her autograph but I was unhappy that I was so excited that I forgot to bring her a gift <IMG SRC="smilies/frown.gif" border="0">