PDA

View Full Version : Kim's ranking

Pages : [1] 2 3

KaseyL
Oct 14th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Kim is back in the top 5, back where she belongs!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Congrats to Kim for being back at 5 this week!

Stefke
Oct 14th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Jeeeeeehaaaaaa!!:D Kimmy 's back at 5!!!:bounce:
She deserves it:angel: (and even more:p )!!!

Cilla
Oct 14th, 2002, 05:37 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Verve
Oct 15th, 2002, 09:24 PM
With her first round win over Daja, Kim has passed the 3000 points-mark again:)

She's at 3048 now! Let's hope she can add to that the next 3 weeks;), even if it'll be very difficult, considering she still has to defend about 450 points. But we all know she can do it!

GO KIM!!!:D Play your heart out these last weeks!!!:)

Peridotpixie
Oct 16th, 2002, 09:46 PM
Ingrid, how does seeding work at the championships? Is it according to the main rankings or the race rankings? And how many seeds are there?

Come-on-kim
Oct 18th, 2002, 09:40 PM
COME ON KIM:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

rein
Oct 18th, 2002, 10:03 PM
for the moment, she is still number 5
4. Mauresmo 3120
5. Kim 3102
6. Henin (after qf win) 2940
7. Seles 2796
8. Dokic 2599
9. Hantuchova 2550
10. Hingis 2348

So you see that only henin can catch her this week, but she would have to win the whole tournament for that.

But with next week points off (luxemburg and Linz)
4. Mauresmo 3120
5. Henin 2940*
6. Kim +- 2875
7. Seles 2796
8. Hantuchova 2550
9. Dokic 2420
10. Hingis 2348

The points aren't a 100% accurate
But Seles and mauresmo aren't playing. So henin has a shot at number 4. Kim hasn't but she is pretty sure about her 6 th position, even a possible 5th if henin loses early in Linz.

DutchieGirl
Oct 19th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Seedings at the Champsionships go on the race points as far as I know!

I hope Kim can finish the year off in the top 5! :D

pcabenojar
Oct 21st, 2002, 07:26 AM
Kim stays at no.5 this week, although Justine Henin can reach no.4 or no.5 if she does really well in Linz.

I'm hoping that Kim will be able to defend her title in Luxembourg & do well at the season ending championships (she has SF points to defend) to be able to finish the year in the Top 5 for the second straight year. :)

Peridotpixie
Oct 21st, 2002, 03:37 PM
I've given up trying to calculate Kim's ranking, because I always seem to be off somehow. The gap between her and Justine is quite small, so we'd better hope Justine loses early and Kim wins. Unfortunately, Justine has a very good draw and a solid chance of making it all the way to the finals.
In good news, though, Kim can really only drop one place to sixth, so in LA she'll be seeded somewhere from 5th to 7th depending on whether or not Lindsay ends up with some sort of special seeding--and also, I suppose, on whether Venus shows up.

KaseyL
Oct 21st, 2002, 11:22 PM
Bob Larson's ranking predictions this week:

The Rankings. At this point, the big concern isn't really next week's rankings; it's qualification for Los Angeles. Besides, the rankings aren't going to change all that much. Serena Williams is #1, Venus Williams #2, Jennifer Capriati #3, Amelie Mauresmo #4.

Below that, things do start to get interesting. Kim Clijsters is the defending Luxembourg champion, so she can't move up and might drop a spot. And everything below that is up for grabs.

Justine Henin doesn't have much to defend, so she's ahead of Clijsters in safe points -- but she's playing a much harder tournament. Monica Seles is probably safe at #7, and can't move up -- but theoretically could fall behind Daniela Hantuchova.

Jelena Dokic does have points to defend (174 of them, in fact), so she starts out behind Hantuchova in safe points. Theoretically, Hantuchova could move as high as #7. Her chances of making #8 look pretty good.

And then there is Lindsay Davenport, the defending Linz champion and with an injury. She was in the same situation she's been in for several weeks: She had to defend at least the majority of her points to stay in the Top Ten. Otherwise, Martina Hingis is back to #10. And now Davenport is out. Which means that Hingis will be back in the Top Ten for at least a week -- and will be in the year-end Top Ten unless Anastasia Myskina makes a very big move in the next two weeks, or possibly if Davenport wins Los Angeles. It's not likely to happen. Myskina has to gain 450 points to catch up with Hingis, and it's actually more than that because Myskina has so much in her sixteenth and seventeenth tournaments. Our guess is that Myskina would have to win Los Angeles, or reach the final and the Linz semifinal. We'd give Hingis at least an 80% chance of ending 2002 in the Top Ten.

DutchieGirl
Oct 22nd, 2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by KaseyL
Bob Larson's ranking predictions this week:

The Rankings. At this point, the big concern isn't really next week's rankings; it's qualification for Los Angeles. Besides, the rankings aren't going to change all that much. Serena Williams is #1, Venus Williams #2, Jennifer Capriati #3, Amelie Mauresmo #4.

Below that, things do start to get interesting. Kim Clijsters is the defending Luxembourg champion, so she can't move up and might drop a spot. And everything below that is up for grabs.

Justine Henin doesn't have much to defend, so she's ahead of Clijsters in safe points -- but she's playing a much harder tournament. Monica Seles is probably safe at #7, and can't move up -- but theoretically could fall behind Daniela Hantuchova.

Jelena Dokic does have points to defend (174 of them, in fact), so she starts out behind Hantuchova in safe points. Theoretically, Hantuchova could move as high as #7. Her chances of making #8 look pretty good.

And then there is Lindsay Davenport, the defending Linz champion and with an injury. She was in the same situation she's been in for several weeks: She had to defend at least the majority of her points to stay in the Top Ten. Otherwise, Martina Hingis is back to #10. And now Davenport is out. Which means that Hingis will be back in the Top Ten for at least a week -- and will be in the year-end Top Ten unless Anastasia Myskina makes a very big move in the next two weeks, or possibly if Davenport wins Los Angeles. It's not likely to happen. Myskina has to gain 450 points to catch up with Hingis, and it's actually more than that because Myskina has so much in her sixteenth and seventeenth tournaments. Our guess is that Myskina would have to win Los Angeles, or reach the final and the Linz semifinal. We'd give Hingis at least an 80% chance of ending 2002 in the Top Ten.

Interesting calculations. I really hope Kim can keep the #5 spot. It'll be interesting to see what happens from 5-10 though!

spiritfullfrog
Oct 28th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Now that Kim won the Seat Open, and Justine won the other tournament, what happens to the rankings? :confused: :bounce: :)

pcabenojar
Oct 28th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Kim is ranked 6 now, she didn't gain points because she is defending her Luxembourg title and she must at least reached the SF at the season ending championships to be able to have a shot to finish the year at no. 5 or higher if she goes all the way to the finals & wins it.

Since Justine won, she gained a lot of points because she lost in the 2R last year in Linz, she's now ranked a career high no. 4.

Verve
Oct 28th, 2002, 09:50 AM
If Kim reaches the semi's again in L.A., and Justine doesn't, Kim has a good chance to be at #5 or even #4, because this year the points of the Championships have increased drastically!

Last year, semifinalists got 180 round points, now they get 218 round points!!!

So let's hope for Kim to reach the semi's (or better!;)) again:)

GO KIM!!!:D

Gonzo Hates Me!
Oct 28th, 2002, 10:06 PM
I am mad :(

Oct 29th, 2002, 06:23 AM
The Luxembourg points should be increased too :p

pcabenojar
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Looks like Kim will end the year at no. 4 after she reached the finals of the tour championships.

Even if she wins the title, too bad she can't be no.3 because Jen Capriati reached the SF.

Anyways, I'm happy that Kim will end the year at no.4 & Justine at no. 5 . Isn't it great to see two Belgians in the Top 5? :)

Lleyki
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Kim at #4 :bounce:

kit
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:02 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Kimmie :bounce:

KaseyL
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:41 PM
:bounce: Yeah, Kim is number 4! :bounce:

Nov 12th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Congratulations Kim. Now win Melbourne and Sydney to get #3!

disposablehero
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Barring any huge Australian Open surprises, Kim will be #3 whether she wins it or not.

Nov 12th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by disposablehero
Barring any huge Australian Open surprises, Kim will be #3 whether she wins it or not.
Yeah, I can't see Jenn winning again

~|Naomi|~
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Kim now is only 239 points behind Capriati :)

Capriati 3796
KIM 3557
Henin 3218
Mauresmo 3068

And Capriati has like 1000 points to defend at the Oz Open so a good showing from Kim could mean a 3 ranking:bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by kim&lleytonrule
Kim now is only 239 points behind Capriati :)

Capriati 3796
KIM 3557
Henin 3218
Mauresmo 3068

And Capriati has like 1000 points to defend at the Oz Open so a good showing from Kim could mean a 3 ranking:bounce: :bounce:

Kim has def. a great shot at number 3 again! :bounce:

:bounce: Congrats Kim for ending the year # 4, for becoming the best Belgian player again, and last but not least the TOP European player! :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Come on Kim!!!!! Kick Capriati from #3!!!!!!!! :) :bounce: :bounce:

Nov 13th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Bigkimfan
Come on Kim!!!!! Kick Capriati from #3!!!!!!!! :) :bounce: :bounce:
Be patient...it will happen soon :)

Filip!
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Kim is #3 in the world at this moment, Capriati lost her first match and loosed a lot of points!!!

~|Naomi|~
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Current Ranks (with all of last years AO points removed)

Serena 5943
Venus 4720
Kim3362
HH 2995
Capriati 2790
Mauresmo 2729
Hantuchova2618
Dokic 2506
Seles 2454
Davenport 2051

Kim is now 16 in doubles and with all of last years points from AO taken off she is at 14 so if Kim & Ai do well Kim has a great chance to get a career high doubles rank (her current career high is 15)

Also Kim currently leads the race to the WTA championships in both singles and Doubles
In singles she has 352 points and In doubles Kim & Ai have 254 poiints together

~|Naomi|~
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:36 AM
I know Kim is at 3 , she is 367 points ahead of henin and 572 points ahead of Capriati

I really hope Kimmie can do well here and consolidate herself at 3 cause Capriatis loss opens up Henins quarter although she will still face Devenport in round4

Well done and Good Luck to KImmie:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Primula
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Yes !!!!!! Come on now!! Show the world what you can!!! :bounce:

-Fienesse-
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Whoooooooooooohooooooooooo! But indeed Justines quarter will be mcuh more easy...we'll see, but I'sm so glad Kim is ranked three!!!

Bigkimfan
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kim rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Jan 13th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Congratulations to Kim...but I'm actually pissed off that Capriati lost. I wanted her to get through to the final so that Kim could beat her and get revenge for the French in 2001

Fieke
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Wow, Kim is number three again :worship:
Now that is such good news :bounce:

angele87
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Congrats Kim :D

keta
Jan 13th, 2003, 11:53 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :D :D :D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Congrats kimmmmmmy!!

Kornelija
Jan 13th, 2003, 01:05 PM
KIM RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cilla
Jan 13th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Congrats Kim :kiss:

caseyl45
Jan 13th, 2003, 05:20 PM
You're all sure about this, right? I mean, there's no way that Henin could get to third if she wins and Kim loses early, right? And if this is possible, how far does Kim have to go to seal third place in the rankings?

Hawk
Jan 13th, 2003, 05:40 PM
If Kim loses early and Justine goes far then yes Justine could take number 3. I'm not sure though exactly what has to take place in order for that to happen...Any way it's not too likely :D

:bounce: Congrats on being #3 Kimmie!! :bounce:

pruts
Jan 13th, 2003, 06:54 PM
congrats Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Jan 13th, 2003, 07:56 PM
CONGRATULATIONS KIMMIE !!!!!!!! ¨

:wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship:

kit
Jan 13th, 2003, 08:54 PM
CONGRATS KIMMIE!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:
She is a really number 3!!!Come on!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Stefke
Jan 13th, 2003, 09:03 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: Kimmy!!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:

Mazza
Jan 13th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Woah! Capriati lost! :o :eek:

:bounce: WELL DONE KIMMIE!!!!! :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 14th, 2003, 02:19 AM
If Henin wins the whole of AO she will get about 1000 points so she has a great chance of getting to 3 without actually calculating any points I would say Kim has to make about QF or SF to be assured of 3 but that is only if Henin wins if Henin loses before in the QF or earlier Kim should be 3, but I haven't actually calculated that I can do that later if you want

spiritfullfrog
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Does anyone know how many points Venus is ahead of Kim by? And is it possible for Kim to overtake Venus (and maybe even Serena) and become world no. 2? :)

Congrats Kim on becoming world number 3!!
Her ranking's sure to get even higher through the year!!
:D:):D:):D:):D:):D

~|Naomi|~
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:25 AM
With all of last years AO points removed Kim is 1358 points behind Venus so she can't catch her anytime soon but has a great shot around French Open Wimbledon time as Venus was runner up in both of those last year whereas Kim has about 80 points to defend at French and 40 points for the entire grass season!!!

So Kim can't catch Venus after Ao but will have a shot come June

OrangeFrog
Jan 14th, 2003, 07:25 AM
How do you calculate the points? lol sorry but I'm that ignorant:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ting
Jan 14th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Does Kim have a lot of points to defend at the tournaments before French Open? And what about the Williams sisters?

And congrats Kim!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 14th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Kim's points to defend:

She has nothing to defend at Antwerp, Scottsdale or Indian Wells
Miami-101
Hamburg(doesn't exist anymore has been replaced by Warsaw that week) 361
Berlin-0
Rome-200
Roland Garros-88
Rosmalen-0
Wimbledon-40
Stanford-189
San Diego -93
Los Angeles-0
Montreal-48
US Open-122
Tokyo(no longer exists Shanghai will take place that week)-210
Leipzig-94
Filderstadt-378
Zurich-107
Luxembourg-200
LA-750

So other than Hamburg and Rome there is nothing to difficult to defend until Tokyo in September:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Also Kim is currently going to be the number 1 seed at Indian Wells as neither Williams is going and is probably going to be 2nd seed at both Antwerp and Scottsdale behind Venus and then Serena in Scottsdale. The top 12 players have all commited to play Miami. I really hope Kim plays one of Amelia Island or Charelston this year

~|Naomi|~
Jan 14th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Here are Venus and Serena's points to defend I will leave out the tournaments at which they have nothing to defend as I don't know where they will play

Serena:
Scottsdale-334
Miami-590
Charelston-92
Berlin-246
Rome-427
French-1052
Wimbledon-1056
Los Anglees-65
USopen-1040
Tokyo-264
Leipzig-291
LA-484

Venus:
Paris-281
Antwerp-320
Dubai-102
Miami-212
Amelia Is-282
Hamburg-230
French-616
Wimbledon-618
Stanford-291
San Diego-389
New Haven-296
US open-732
Moscow-1
LA-296

Ting
Jan 14th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks a lot!:)
How did you figure them out?:confused:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 15th, 2003, 07:25 AM
I got them off www.tenniscorner.net

They usualy update rankings every day but some times they don't so it is easier to work them out yourself

OrangeFrog
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:06 AM
I got them off www.tenniscorner.net

They usualy update rankings every day but some times they don't so it is easier to work them out yourself

Yeah...Kim's still Number 4 on their site.

Lynx
Jan 15th, 2003, 09:16 AM
OrangeFrog, the site also has a "Projected Singles Rankings"-item... and there Kim is number 3 !!! :D :D :D

(BTW: what do you Aussies have with frogs? "Orange", "spiritfull" ... this can't be a coincidence!)

spiritfullfrog
Jan 29th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Here's an article from The Age, about the ranking changes and stuff...

Serena has edge on Venus
Tuesday 28 January 2003, 16:05PM

Capturing four Grand Slam titles in a row has put Serena Williams as far ahead of Venus Williams as her older sister is ahead of the rest of the women's tennis world.

Serena Williams' victory in the Australian Open final stretched her lead in the WTA rankings with 6,989 points to 5,370 for Venus, who has lost to her younger sister in the past four women's Slam singles finals.

Belgium's Kim Clijsters moved to third with 3,763 points, aided by a tumble from third to sixth for 2002 Aussie Open winner Jennifer Capriati, whose repeat bid ended in a shocking first-round loss.

While Venus is in another orbit from her Earthly rivals, Serena has soared to another galaxy by capturing last year's Wimbledon, US Open and French Open titles, becoming the first to own all four majors at once since Steffi Graf in 1994.

Belgium's Justine Henin-Hardenne rose one spot to fourth and Slovakia's Daniela Hantuchova jumped from eighth to fifth.

Swiss former number one Martina Hingis fell from 11th to 18th, the greatest plunge among the world's top 20.

Also tumbling in the top 10 was Capriati's American compatriot Monica Seles, whose slide from seventh to ninth left France's Amelie Mauresmo seventh, a spot lower than before the Australian Open, and Yugoslavia's Jelena Dokic eighth, a notch better than before.

Jan 29th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Kim is still ahead of Venus in the Champions race :)

c2
Feb 8th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Congrats, kim fans... she deserves it.. I don't post in here much but I follow Kim and it's great news!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :D :D

[mod message:

thanks for the message!

have moved it to the Kim's ranking thread.

Ingrid]

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Following Kim's win over Schnyder she has 3854 points (she has 131 for Antwerp), ahead of Henin with 3281 and then Hantuchova with 2897:)

But more important is that Kim's perofrmance here has taken Wimbledon out of her top 17 results meaning it doesn't count towards her ranking:) so that means Kim has absolutely nothing to defend for the entire grass season (as Rosmalen isn't in the top17 either), and Kim also has nothing to defend at her next two events of Scottsdale and Indian Wells. However for Kim to add to her points total at Scottsdale or IW she will have to earn more than 48 points which is her lowest performance currently counting to her rank (the 48 points performance is from Montreal).

So looking ahead a bit, but if Kim can earn more than 88 points at either Scottsdale and IW and more than 48 points at the other, she can remove Montreal (which is 48 points) but more importantly the French Open (which is 88 points) from her best 17 results, so she would have nothing to defend at the French Open:) To do this Kim will have to make the semis at Scottsdale(which is 88+bonus points) and the QF of IW (which is 81 + Bonus points). Or to make more than 48 points would be a QF at Scottsdale (49+bonus) or a 4th round at IW (which is 45+bonus points)

Here are Kim's top 17 results at the moment:
LA-751(Won)
AO-432 (SF)
Filderstadt-378 (W)
hamburg -361(W)
Sydney-350(W)
Tokyo-210 (Final)
Luxembourg-200(W)
Rome-200(SF)
Stanford-189 (F)
Antwerp 131 (SF)* Still playing
US OPen 122 (4th round)
Zurich-107 (QF)
Miami-101 (QF)
Leipzig-94(SF)
San Diego-93(QF)
French Open 88 (3rd)
Montreal-48 (3rd)

(results not currently in top 17 results)
Wimbledon-40-(2nd)
Rosmalen-31 (QF)
LA, Berlin and Indian Wells all 1

So if Kim does knock the French Open out of her top 17 results she will still have to defend a couple od big performances during the clay season to keep it out of the top 17 results.

Anyway yes I am very bored, well actually I am kind of procrastinating cause I don't want to do my work for Uni:o
But I wanted to look at Kim's points, yeah I know it is still a long time till the French and Wimbledon but who knows if she can play well and do well there like a final or something she might just be able to start to pressure on for the 2 rank as Venus has 616 and 618 points to defend at FO and WImbley and Kim has a chance to defend nothing. But at the moment Venus is about 1000 points ahead:mad: But has more to defend than Kim till the indoor season in September:) But yeah all of this is pretty subjective.

Lynx
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Thanks kim&lleytonrule, this is great work! :worship: :)

Bigkimfan
Feb 15th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Thanks!:D

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:08 PM
More stuff I worked out earlier and since Kim has now won, I can post it:)

Kim now has 3915 ranking points:)
She has 192 points for Antwerp, so Antwerp is now her 9th best result in her top 17. Kim is now 634 points ahead of Henin, but more importantly has alomost reached 4000 points:)

kimclijsters4ever
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:29 PM
More stuff I worked out earlier and since Kim has now won, I can post it:)

Kim now has 3915 ranking points:)
She has 192 points for Antwerp, so Antwerp is now her 9th best result in her top 17. Kim is now 634 points ahead of Henin, but more importantly has alomost reached 4000 points:)

I calculated her points also but i come to 3958 points??? and if she wins against venus 4091 points, am I the one who's mistaken but for antwerp she gains 137p (final points) + 55p (Defeating Henin) + 35p (Def Schnyder) + 8p (Def Casanova) that makes 235p, right ????

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Yes you are right I had 3958 written down but for some reason didn't type it, the 3915 was from the mistake I had did earlier, sorry, maybe it was cause it was1.30AM. Thanks for corecting me:kiss:

Hawk
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:46 AM
I think that now puts her 1036 points behind #2 spot. Wow pretty big gap :eek: This is of course assuming Venus doesn't play Dubai.

~|Naomi|~
Feb 17th, 2003, 02:31 AM
Yeah it is a pretty big gap but what it pretty much amounts to is Venus's 616 and 618 points from FO and WImby so if Kim can do well there this year, make the semis. She can close the gap significantly.

I'm really hoping Kim can make it to 4000 points at Scottsdale, has she ever had 4000 points before? I don't think she has:confused:

Also Kim is now number 12 in the doubles rank:D I see a top10 doubles rank in no time, to go nicely with her top5 singles rank;)

Hawk
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Yeah I agree..Venus doesn't have much to gain, but alot to potentially lose, so if Kim just stays consistent with her results..she'll be nipping at Venus' heels pretty soon :D

Bigkimfan
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Go Kim!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:20 AM
KIm could break into the doubles top 10 for the first time this week because with last years IW points removed she passes Hantuchova :bounce:

10 S Williams - 1927
11 Kim 1840
12 Hantuchova 1813

Also Kim & Ai are leading the race to LA in doubles
And Kim is 2nd in the singles race :)

Lynnsha
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:13 AM
1 WILLIAMS, SERENA 6939
2 WILLIAMS, VENUS 4994

3 CLIJSTERS, KIM 4080 :D

Kim could become number 2 soon.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: GO kIMMY :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Stefke
Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:01 AM
Woohooow!!!:bounce:4000+:D
Gooo Kimmy! Staight to the top:bounce::p

~|Naomi|~
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:42 PM
She is going to have to start playing like in Sydney if she is to get to 2 becuae Henin is only 500 and somethng behind and is playing Amelia Island and Charlston where Kim isn't and Justine loves clay and is playing well at the moment after Dubai so if she does really well there it is possible for hert to pass Kim. Kim really needs a good showing at IW like a semi final or better, If she makes the 4th round her total probably won't improve as her current 17th best result is 88 points from last years frenchopen so she is proabably going to have to make the QF to even add anything! And even then because her FO points will drop off she will probably only increase by 20 or so points. But if Henin does pass her I think Kim can come back past her at Berlin and Rome where Henin has mamoth points to defend.

So basically what I'm saying is Kim really needs a good semi+ plus showing in IW, but she is going to have to play like in Austrralia to get that. But at the moment I am choosing to look at Scottsdale like Leipzig last year where she lost to Myskina after leading, because she came out and won Filderstadt the next week! So lets hope Scottsdale- IW turns out to be like Leipzig-Filderstadt (And yes I know Kim lost in the semis in Leipzig but still, I think it is a posistive way to look at things)

tennisIlove09
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:36 PM
[Mod message: moved thread]

Clijsters happy with her place in the rankings
March 10 2003
By JANIS CARR
The Orange County Register

INDIAN WELLS – Kim Clijsters is ranked No.3 in the world and quite happy. Really. Ask her.

"That's not at all my goal in my tennis career," she said of ever being No.1.

Could it be because the gap between Serena and Venus Williams, the Nos. 1 and 2 players, and the rest of the world is getting wider with every major tournament?

"It's huge," Clijsters said. "It is for everyone."

So why stress over it? Besides Clijsters has a more immediate goal. She would like to avenge last year's first-round loss in the Pacific Life Open to Natalie Dechy of France.

Top-seeded Clijsters defeated Francesca Schiavone, 7-5, 6-4, in a third-round match Sunday, while Dechy got by Sylvia Farina-Elia, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4, to set up another desert meeting.

"I look forward to that match," Clijsters said. "I lost to her here last year. I really want to get that revenge back. I'll definitely have to play better than what I did today.

"You know, she's a good player, very tough. She hardly makes any mistakes and she runs well. I'll make sure I'll be ready for her."

Clijsters said she needs to get her timing in order as well as her serve if she has any hopes of beating Dechy. The Belgian hasn't appeared sharp in her first three matches at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

Against Schiavone, Clijsters repeatedly fell behind on her serve and committed an uncharacteristically high number of unforced errors.

"I'm not feeling as fast as I could be," she said. "I feel like I'm struggling a little bit more when I have to move back to the court, running back. It's something I'll work on."

Defending champion Daniela Hantuchova needed to step up her game Sunday to beat Kartina Srebotnik, 7-6 (4), 6-2.

Hantuchova, 5-foot-111/2 and still growing, is attempting to retrace many steps that led to her first WTA Tour title last year, such as training, eating habits and her mental approach.

"I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, just to try and think about the next match," she said. "That's what I did last year. I'm trying to do the same things this year as well. Definitely it would be great to do the same thing again."

NOTE

Sunday's final match on Stadium 1, a doubles match between Virginia Ruano Pascual/Paola Suarez and Els Callens/Asa Svensson was moved to another court when electrical problems knocked out the sound system.

spiritfullfrog
Mar 17th, 2003, 05:14 AM
How many points is Kim behind Venus now? Any chance of her over taking the number 2 spot, some time in the near (NEAR) future? :D

~|Naomi|~
Mar 17th, 2003, 09:50 AM
How many points is Kim behind Venus now? Any chance of her over taking the number 2 spot, some time in the near (NEAR) future? :D

She is now 543 points behind Venus, and Venus has 212 points to defend in Miami, while Kim has 101 to defend but her 18th result is 88 points so Kim is going to have to make the QF to add any points.There is definately a chance that Kim can catch Venus before the French but that depends a lot on how much Venus plays. Kim has a better shot at number 2 I believe around Wimbledon and the American hardcourts leading into the US Open as Venus has a hell of alot of points to defend whilst Kim has next to nothing. Kim has big performances to defend in Rome and Hamburg and then her next big defense doens't come till tokyo post US Open, although Kim does have 189 points at Stanford to defend.

spiritfullfrog
Mar 17th, 2003, 10:44 AM
She is now 543 points behind Venus, and Venus has 212 points to defend in Miami, while Kim has 101 to defend but her 18th result is 88 points so Kim is going to have to make the QF to add any points.There is definately a chance that Kim can catch Venus before the French but that depends a lot on how much Venus plays. Kim has a better shot at number 2 I believe around Wimbledon and the American hardcourts leading into the US Open as Venus has a hell of alot of points to defend whilst Kim has next to nothing. Kim has big performances to defend in Rome and Hamburg and then her next big defense doens't come till tokyo post US Open, although Kim does have 189 points at Stanford to defend.
Thanks for that kim&lleytonrule!! :kiss:
Hope Kim gets the number 2 ranking....then number 1......! :D

Mercury Rising
Mar 17th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Howcome the doubles rank doesn't change :confused: or are they just late?

Aussie_Kim
Mar 17th, 2003, 11:44 AM

Horray! :bounce:
I was soo happy this morning 2 wake up & find out Kim won. Sure she may not of moved that much in the rankings but the distance between Venus & Kim is narrowing & the distance between Justine & Kim is growing. Even if Kim doesn't do well in Miami (which I can't see happening @ the m oment) there's still about a 1000 points between them so Justine can't become no 3 any time soon!!!

Good luck for Miami Kim & LLeyton!!! Lets see some more Lleyki doubles.

duck
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:52 AM
From CNNSI

Kim Clijsters was overwhelmed by Serena in the semis, but keep an eye on Clijsters' ranking. A stats savant made a good point to me: If Clijsters plays -- and does well -- in 20 events this year and Serena only plays her usual 12, Clijsters conceivably could finish the season ranked No. 1, even if Serena owns her head-to-head. Already Clijsters is set to move ahead of Venus next week. ...

How is this possible exactly?

Stefke
Apr 7th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Venus loses 284 points and then she wil have 4555 points and Kimmy will stay at 4585!!
:worship::bounce:Congrats Kimmy:bounce::worship:

Lleykimmy1
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:19 PM
That's just wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I just have a question, why does Venus lose points ?

Megli
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Wow, great news!!!!!

ikke
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:25 PM
:bounce: Congrats Kim!!!!! :bounce:

ans
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:49 PM
That's just wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I just have a question, why does Venus lose points ?

Apparently the tournaments of Charleston and Amelia Island swapped places. Venus won the tournament of Amelia Island last year so she'll lose those points :bounce:

kit
Apr 7th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Wow,very good news!!!
Congrats Kim !!!

tara
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:07 PM
:bounce: WONDERFUL,KIM :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:05 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: CONGRATS KIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :worship:

Come-on-kim
Apr 7th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Congrats Kimmie

angele87
Apr 7th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Congrats Kimmie :D :kiss:

Majo
Apr 7th, 2003, 09:02 PM
woohoo!!!! go kim!!!!! :bounce:

Lleyki
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Way to go Kimmie :bounce:

pcabenojar
Apr 8th, 2003, 03:56 AM
From thw wta website:

Clijsters poised to take No.2 ranking
April 07, 2003

Kim Clijsters will move up to a brand-new career high No.2 next Monday, 14 April when she overtakes current No.2 Venus Williams.

Having chosen not to defend her Amelia Island title from 2002 (8-14 April 2002), Williams is losing 284 points from her current points total of 4839, leaving Clijsters ahead by 30 points with 4585. It will be the first time in 10 months, since the week of 10 June 2002, that both Williamses haven’t occupied the Top 2 spots in the WTA Rankings.

Clijsters is the first player to break the Williams streak, joining Tracy Austin, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario, Martina Hingis and Venus Williams who all have halted similar dynasties:

NAVRATILOVA-EVERT (Feb. 1978-Jan. 1980) Tracy Austin
(Jan. 1982-Feb. 1987) Steffi Graf
GRAF-NAVRATILOVA (Mar. 1987-Nov. 1990) Monica Seles
GRAF-SELES (Nov. 1990-Sep. 1993*) A.Sánchez-Vicario

(Aug. 1995-Jan. 1997*) Martina Hingis
HINGIS-DAVENPORT (Feb. 1998-Apr. 2001) Venus Williams
Seles fell from Top 2 Sept. 1993-Aug. 1995 due to Hamburg attack

Additionally, Clijsters is the 18th woman in the last 28 years to ascend to No.2 and the sixth youngest (at 19 years, 10 months) following:

Andrea Jaeger 17 Aug. 1981 (16 years, 2 months)
Martina Hingis 27 Jan. 1997 (16 years, 4 months)
Monica Seles 19 Nov. 1990 (16 years, 11 months)
Tracy Austin 13 Jan. 1980 (17 years, 1 month)
Steffi Graf 2 Mar. 1987 (17 years, 9 months)

Interestingly, the last four on that list all reached the No.1 spot in fivemonths or less of getting to No.2. Will Clijsters be the fifth?

Ashie_87
Apr 8th, 2003, 06:11 AM
:bounce: :bounce: YAY!!!! Go KIMMIE!!! :bounce: :bounce:
CONGRATS! :D :)

pruts
Apr 8th, 2003, 06:24 AM
:bounce: well done Kimmie!!! :bounce:

-Fienesse-
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:02 AM
That's really great news!!!! Kim go on and enjoy!!

Elleke
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:22 AM
well done kim :D

Kornelija
Apr 8th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Only one spot is left... ;)

thalle
Apr 8th, 2003, 02:33 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Stefke
Apr 8th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Now [deleted by mod] and our Kimmy is world #1:D:p

Maxine
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Congrats Kim!! :bounce:

Brαm
Apr 8th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Stef, I hope you were joking, coz that post sounds pretty rude :(

Like the article :)

duck
Apr 8th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Clijsters breaks Williams stranglehold
By Mark Staniforth, PA Sport
09 April 2003

Kim Clijsters will take her biggest step towards shattering the dominance of the Williams sisters when she moves up to a career–high second place in the world rankings next week.

With Venus Williams having decided against defending her Amelia Island title and thus losing the 284 ranking points she picked up last year, Clijsters will officially move ahead on April 14. It will be the first time in 10 months that both Williamses have not occupied the top places.

The 19–year–old Clijsters has emerged this season as the best bet to steer the major titles away from the Williams family. Her year opened with a win in Sydney which provided her fourth title in her last five tournaments.

Clijsters proved she could live with her big rivals when she led Serena Williams 5–1 in the decisive set of their Australian Open semi–final and held two match points at 5–2 before losing.

She won Indian Wells and Antwerp before losing to Serena again in the semi–final in Miami. In the process of her successes Clijsters racked up a 17–match winning streak without the loss of a set – the longest such run since Steffi Graf nine years ago.

Clijsters is closer than ever to claiming her maiden Grand Slam win. Her only previous final appearance was at the French Open in 2001 when she lost a marathon final 12–10 to Jennifer Capriati in the final set.

Aussie_Kim
Apr 9th, 2003, 08:08 AM
From thw wta website:

Clijsters poised to take No.2 ranking
April 07, 2003

Kim Clijsters will move up to a brand-new career high No.2 next Monday, 14 April when she overtakes current No.2 Venus Williams.

Interestingly, the last four on that list all reached the No.1 spot in fivemonths or less of getting to No.2. Will Clijsters be the fifth?

Wouldn't that be great! If Kimmie is in good form, I believe she is in good shape 2 take out FO, & if not, I'm sure she'll do well.

:worship: :worship: :worship:
CONGRATS KIM U DESERVE IT!

Primula
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Congrats Kimmie! You really deserve this number 2 spot!!!! :worship:

KaseyL
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Mod message:

Stefke, don't wish for such things. I hope you were joking, although I don't like to read such a thing in here, even if it's a joke 'cause it will offend people.

To all: I think you all get what I mean and what I want to avoid in here.

Ingrid

KaseyL
Apr 9th, 2003, 10:36 AM
We could need a countdown in this thread, isn't it? (Mark, where are you with your great smilies and graphs? ;)*hint, hint* )

Let's see, how many days 'til she is world number two?

5 days from now!

Stefke
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Ok understood the message! I won't laugh and won't make jokes in here anymore!!

Lynnsha
Apr 9th, 2003, 12:25 PM
:worship: CONGRATS KIMMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

dragamuffin
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:56 PM
I think, no I am sure, that Kim becoming number 2 is the best news! And wouldn't it be great if Venus and Serena had to battle for a place in semi-finals, instead of always battling eachother in finals???

Cilla
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Congrats Kim :D

Brαm
Apr 10th, 2003, 12:27 PM
You can still make jokes here, Stef, but try to make tasteful ones next time, ok?

Belgium = Best
Apr 10th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Bye bye Venus....
Welcome Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce:

Hi Kimfans :wavey: :wavey:

Lynx
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:31 PM
We could need a countdown in this thread, isn't it? ... *hint, hint*:eek: :o

Well... all right, but please don't expect too much, I barely have time to post, these days. :sad:

Lynx
Apr 10th, 2003, 03:50 PM
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_4.gif days to go before Kimmie will be the new number http://www.x-workz.de/X/X-8/02.gif of the world http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_ausr.gif

http://sscorer.co.uk/Gifs/Flowers.gif

fifiricci
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan, but I think being No 2 will put pressure on her to do well and despite what she says I think she's susceptible to that, particularly with two slams coming up soon and growing expectation/pressure that she will win one this year. We'll just have to see ........

Lynnsha
Apr 10th, 2003, 04:33 PM
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_4.gif days to go before Kimmie will be the new number http://www.x-workz.de/X/X-8/02.gif of the world http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_ausr.gif

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

thalle
Apr 10th, 2003, 05:44 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
I agree!!!

KaseyL
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:44 PM

That's so NOT my message. Please, do have fun in here, I'm the last to be against it.

I want to avoid that this forum turns into GM at a certain point. You - and every regular visitor - knows that one post like yours is just enough to start a fight between certain fans.

That's why each time I come across posts with contents like yours, the poster will receive a warning.

Your mod,

Ingrid

KaseyL
Apr 10th, 2003, 08:47 PM
:eek: :o

Well... all right, but please don't expect too much, I barely have time to post, these days. :sad:

is OK!

and :worship: for doing it nevertheless :kiss:

Stefke
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Ok Ingrid I understood:kiss:
It just wasn't my best day yesterday!! And so for today!! My boyfriend lives 100 km away from me and I saw him Tuesday but now it will last 2 months until I get to see him!! I was just angry and I'm really sorry if you were a victime of that!!:kiss:

KaseyL
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Ok Ingrid I understood:kiss:
It just wasn't my best day yesterday!! And so for today!! My boyfriend lives 100 km away from me and I saw him Tuesday but now it will last 2 months until I get to see him!! I was just angry and I'm really sorry if you were a victime of that!!:kiss:

is OK, no hard feelings.

and hugs for you, I understand your feelings.

Brαm
Apr 10th, 2003, 10:05 PM
100 km? :eek:
2 months? :eek:

Poor you indeed!! :(:o

Lynx
Apr 11th, 2003, 09:40 AM
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_3.gif days to go before Kimmie will be the new number http://www.x-workz.de/X/X-8/02.gif of the world http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_ausr.gif

Stefke
Apr 11th, 2003, 04:27 PM
100 km? :eek:
2 months? :eek:

Poor you indeed!! :(:o
Bram, you live in Brugge right? Do you know Matthias from Sint-Kruis??;) That's my boyfriend!!:hearts:

Stefke
Apr 11th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Oops sorry I was talking to the wrong Bram!!:p Will the other one please stand up?:p;)

Lynx
Apr 12th, 2003, 09:54 AM
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_2.gif days to go before Kimmie will be the new number http://www.x-workz.de/X/X-8/02.gif of the world http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_ausr.gif

duck
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:16 PM
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_2.gif days to go before Kimmie will be the new number http://www.x-workz.de/X/X-8/02.gif of the world http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_ausr.gif

That is just awesome!

Hawk
Apr 12th, 2003, 05:51 PM
I haven't been in this thread yet :eek:

Go Kimmie!! :bounce: #2 in the world..sounds so nice :D

Very nice sign Mark! Now you have to put up a celebration sign too for when she is actually #2 :p

possie
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:31 AM
*Can't wait to see what Mark posts on April 14....the day Kim actually becomes number 2!!*

*Wonders when his creativity will run dry???? ;) *

Ting
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Kimmie Rocks!!!!!!
You deserve it Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

Lynx
Apr 13th, 2003, 09:30 AM
ONLY

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_1.gif day to go before Kimmie will be the new number http://www.x-workz.de/X/X-8/02.gif of the world http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/trave_abc/smilie_ausr.gif

Lleyki
Apr 13th, 2003, 03:22 PM
C'mon Kimmie :bounce:

:worship: @ Mark's smiley :eek: :hearts: :worship:

Lleykimmy1
Apr 13th, 2003, 10:27 PM
I'm so happy Kim becoming world number two !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spiritfullfrog
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:26 AM
why's it taking so long to be "monday"?
i've already had 11 hours of monday!! ;)

Ashie_87
Apr 14th, 2003, 02:42 AM
:wavey:
:bounce: :bounce: YAY!!! Kimmie goes to number 2 today!!! :D

possie
Apr 14th, 2003, 04:27 AM
why's it taking so long to be "monday"?
i've already had 11 hours of monday!! ;)

You just have to get used to the fact that it will be Tuesday before it will be "Monday" :) :rolleyes:

Lynx
Apr 14th, 2003, 05:02 AM
http://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifhttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifhttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gif
..............................http://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifKimmiehttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gif....http://www.vuurwerkreus.nl/vuurwerkreus/pictures/firework8.gif
http://www.vuurwerkreus.nl/vuurwerkreus/pictures/firework10.gifthe new number.....http://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gif................................... ..........................
....................................http://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gif...as of today !http://www.vuurwerkreus.nl/vuurwerkreus/pictures/firework12.gif
http://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifhttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifhttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifhttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gif

spiritfullfrog
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:11 AM
ahhhhhhh I love :hearts: the fire works!
our kim surely deserves them!!

CONGRATULATIONS KIM!

1 (1) WILLIAMS, SERENA 7147.00 2518.00 14
2 (3) CLIJSTERS, KIM 4585.00 1633.00 23
3 (2) WILLIAMS, VENUS 4555.00 1525.00 12

Come-on-kim
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:11 AM
KIMMIE :bounce:

keta
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:34 AM
:d:d:d Kimmmmmyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lleykimmy1
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:15 AM
http://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifhttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifhttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gif
..............................http://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifKimmiehttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gif....http://www.vuurwerkreus.nl/vuurwerkreus/pictures/firework8.gif
http://www.vuurwerkreus.nl/vuurwerkreus/pictures/firework10.gifthe new number.....http://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gif................................... ..........................
....................................http://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gif...as of today !http://www.vuurwerkreus.nl/vuurwerkreus/pictures/firework12.gif
http://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifhttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifhttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gifhttp://www.internetwijzer-bao.nl/vuurwerk/vuurwerk11y.gif

Your fire works are just great !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done Kimmie !!!! You deserve it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Kornelija
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Congrats Kimmie!!! :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship:

jujufan
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:50 AM
(shakes hands with the kim fans) :wavey:

Williams beaten twice!
Serena by Justine
And venus in the ranking by KIM!

Congratulations! Go Kim and Justine ...
You bolt deserved it

Stefke
Apr 14th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Yeeeehaaaa!!!:worship::bounce:Kimmy!!:bounce::wors hip:

angele87
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:33 AM
YAY!!! Great fireworks Mark!!

Congrats Kimmie :kiss:

dragamuffin
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:39 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

yesyesyesyesyesyes!!!!!!!! Kim's #2 now!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

And after Justine's match yesterday :eek: ...Isn't this all getting a bit overwhelming???
:o But it's just wonderfull!

Oh, and Mark: I wanted to let you know you did a great job on those fireworks :worship:

:wavey: Katleen

kit
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:44 PM
:worship: Congrats Kim !!! :worship:
Yeah,our Kimmie is world number 2!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ikke
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:53 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Congrats Kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Love those fireworks Mark :kiss:

Bigkimfan
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:49 PM
CONGRATS KIM!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Stefke
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Justine beated Serena yesterday and it was the first time that she has been beaten since her lost to Kimmy in the masters!:eek:!! AND today Kimmy becomes world #2!!!!:bounce:
I'm so proud to be a Belgian these days;):p!!

Fieke
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:00 PM
It's indeed great to be a Belgian tennis fan these days :)

Juju defeated Serena in straight sets :worship:
Kim is the new world number 2 :worship:
Li'l sis Elke will crack the top 500 next week :bounce:
And on top of that...
We have Mark's art work to entertain us :) :kiss:

Mercury Rising
Apr 14th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Woohooo :bounce: :worship:

Hawk
Apr 14th, 2003, 11:58 PM
:worship: Mark :worship:

YaY Kimmie!!! :D

Lisbeth
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:38 AM
yay Kim! This is so well deserved! At least we know Kim won't be put off by anyone who says otherwise. One more spot to go :-)

duck
Apr 15th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Also Kim will be top seed at Berlin as Serena has withdrawn. (presuming of course that Venus doesn't play)

fifiricci
Apr 16th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Also Kim will be top seed at Berlin as Serena has withdrawn. (presuming of course that Venus doesn't play)

Thats what I thought, but on the German Open thread someone is saying she isnt down to play and someone else is saying that Venus will be top seed!!

minboy
Apr 16th, 2003, 07:42 PM
kim will be the first seed coz by the time the seedings will be established, kim's points from hamburg' 02 won't be removed yet (well, i guess)

IT doesn't change anything anyway

~|Naomi|~
Apr 17th, 2003, 01:49 AM
kim will be the first seed coz by the time the seedings will be established, kim's points from hamburg' 02 won't be removed yet (well, i guess)

IT doesn't change anything anyway

I hope your right cause then she won't be in Venus' half and only 50% cjamcp of being in Justine's :) But it does make sense if you look at the way they did the seedings in Miami, Hantuchova had dropped to 8 but was still the 5 seed in Miami as they took the ranks from the week before Indian Wells

OrangeFrog
Apr 21st, 2003, 01:49 AM
:bounce: Go Kim! :bounce: Go Kim! :bounce: Go Kim! :bounce:

KaseyL
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:42 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: for Mark's superb graphics! :worship: :worship: :worship:

and :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: for Kim at # 2! :D

The best ever by any Belgian tennis player! :worship:

And :bounce: for Kim still being the number one European player! :worship:

KaseyL
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:44 PM
Mod message:

I've moved this celebration thread for Kim being number two to the ranking thread, for filing reasons.

Ingrid

~|Naomi|~
Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:59 AM
kim will be the number 1 seed in Berlin :bounce: as they use the ranks before the Hamburg points come off :)

Also I think it is important that we don't overlook that Kim is currently number 8 in doubles, and Stubbs is 7 and falling so Kim has a great shot with Rome, Berlin and RG to go higher :) And that Kim is the only Belgian to hold top 10 doubles and singles ranks at the same time, & the only belgian ever in top10 doubles :) She just keeps writing history...........

Aussie_Kim
Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:58 AM
Good Luck to Kim in Berlin. Hopefully she'll be nice & rested after her month off but pumped after Fed Cup. Go Kim. Btw does any1 no the website for Berlin?

Keep climbing up the rankings Kim!!!!!
I forsee a no.1 in the near future

fifiricci
Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:32 PM
Good Luck to Kim in Berlin. Hopefully she'll be nice & rested after her month off but pumped after Fed Cup. Go Kim. Btw does any1 no the website for Berlin?

Keep climbing up the rankings Kim!!!!!
I forsee a no.1 in the near future

The German Open website address is www.german-open-berlin.de

I hope Kim gets to No 1 at some time too and it would help if she strengthened her serve and stopped overhitting her forehand so much!

KaseyL
May 7th, 2003, 07:29 AM
This was in Bob Larson's comments about the rankings this week:

The Rankings. You probably don't need to be told that Serena Williams is safe at #1, even though she's allowing almost 250 points to drop. The #2 ranking is more interesting. Venus Williams built a pretty good lead over Kim Clijsters at Warsaw, but this is a Tier I, and neither has anything to defend, so a final should put Clijsters past Venus. And Clijsters will have another shot (though not a good one, since she has a lot to defend) at Rome.

(from his May 4, 2003 article)

Aussie_Kim
May 7th, 2003, 09:45 AM
I hope Venus isn't 2 comfy at no.2 cos I forsee that Kim will challenge her a fair bit for at least the rest of the year.
On the wtatour website there's a poll-where you have to vote for who will be the next no.1
when I looked 2day our Kimmie had 54% of the votes :)
Venus had only about 20% of votes.
This shows most people expect Kim 2 b no.1 & I believe she will. I just hope she gets it when LLeyton is cos that would be soo cute.

Btw, who else is glad 2 c LLeyton as no.1 again next week.

thalle
May 7th, 2003, 09:52 AM
If Kim wins Berlin, will she be number2 then?

Aussie_Kim
May 7th, 2003, 10:22 AM
She should be
fingers crossed ;)

Bigkimfan
May 7th, 2003, 10:51 AM
If Kim wins Berlin, will she be number2 then?

Even if she gets to the final, she'll probably be #2 again! ;)

Lisbeth
May 8th, 2003, 12:01 AM
I'm glad about Lleyton! I also predict that Kim will be #2 for a while then #1. Serena has to defend all her slams to keep the kind of lead she has and while she could do it, it's far from a certainty.

KaseyL
Aug 11th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Time to have this thread up in front line :D

Ting
Aug 11th, 2003, 11:33 PM
#1 Kim #1 Kim #1 Kim
:woohoo:Kim RULES :woohoo:

KaseyL
Aug 11th, 2003, 11:36 PM
From Bob Larson's weekly newsletter:

Ranking Predictions

"The Rankings. With Kim Clijsters finally up to #1, there won't be all that much excitement at the top. Clijsters is set at #1 for weeks to come.http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/froehlich/laola02.gif Serena Williams will stay at #2. Justine Henin-Hardenne is #3. Lindsay Davenport is safe at #4 until the U. S. Open. Venus Williams is safe at #5 for the moment."

August 10, 2003

Kimikim
Jul 31st, 2004, 02:34 PM
Kim will drop to no.3 soon, and maybe she will lose many places. So, what do you think? :scratch:

Yasmine
Jul 31st, 2004, 03:09 PM
I don't want to be too negative and I would love to be proven wrong but I doubt she'll finish in the top 10 :bigcry:. She definitely needs to take her time to come back tho and whatever her ranking is she'll have our support! :hug:

Come-on-kim
Jul 31st, 2004, 03:36 PM
As she won't play the masters, she'll be around 10th at the end of the year! I hope she'll finish in the top-8 if not she won't get any money from FILA

surfinggirl
Jul 31st, 2004, 03:43 PM
Money shouldn't be the main thing, and certainly isn't for Kim. I think she won't care to much what her ranking will be, cause she certainly get a special ranking when she comes back to the tour. If she falls out of the top 10, so be it, but she can come back strong from march on, that most of the season for only winning points and she will be back soon in the top 10, and later the top 5 and more.

angele87
As she won't play the masters, she'll be around 10th at the end of the year! I hope she'll finish in the top-8 if not she won't get any money from FILA
I doubt that Kim is too worried about any money she may or may not get from Fila.

My personal biggest worry ranking wise is for seedings at tournaments. If she comes back in September, she will not have been out 6 months and won't be eligible for injury protected seeding which means that she could get less than favorable draws for quite a little while :( When Kim comes back from injury she'll no doubt be a little rusty so she may have a hard time against top ten players whom she'll meet in the quarters of an event if she drops below #10 :( And if she has a hard time progressing past the quarters, she'll have a hard time getting her ranking back :mad:

That said, I think Kim will finish the year in the 10-15 range :ras:

surfinggirl
Being healthy should be the main thing (forgot to ad that). That's the most important thing, right now, not the money, cause she already has lots of it.

Yasmine
Jul 31st, 2004, 03:58 PM
Being healthy should be the main thing (forgot to ad that). That's the most important thing, right now, not the money, cause she already has lots of it.

absolutely!!! :clap2:

tibe
Jul 31st, 2004, 05:38 PM
i don't really care about her ranking. 1, 2 or 111,....
as long as she wins a grandslam i'll be happy :bounce:

ace4lleykim
Jul 31st, 2004, 07:19 PM
Yup just like Lleyts has said "Rankings don't matter, as long as you win more GSs, your ranking will go up as well."
If Kim's not playing till next yr, then they will have special seeding for her.

Ting
Aug 1st, 2004, 01:34 AM
As long as she's healthy, her ranking can always go up:cool:

.ivy.
Aug 1st, 2004, 01:38 AM
I hate to be negative as Kim is one of my favorite players, but I doubt that she will be in the top five at the end of the year. The lack of tournaments played is already letting everyone else catch up, and if Lindsay or Anastasia wins this current tournament they will take the number two spot. Then with Kim not playing the Olympics, and withdrawing from the US Open, she will not get much practice, and most likely not do well her first tournament back.

Justine is pretty far ahead of everyone now, but who knows? It's really sad that they're both plagued by injury. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Kimikim
Aug 1st, 2004, 05:44 AM
I just hope she will be still in the top 10. But, I think it’s very difficult cos she won a lot of tourneys last year, so she will lost much points………. and tho she will comeback soon I’m not sure she can defend her titles, she needs time to find her brilliant games………. :yeah:

Ting
Aug 1st, 2004, 05:56 AM
I just hope she will be still in the top 10. But, I think it’s very difficult cos she won a lot of tourneys last year, so she will lost much points………. and tho she will comeback soon I’m not sure she can defend her titles, she needs time to find her brilliant games………. :yeah:
I think it's better that she doesn't come back until next year when she's fully recovered, there's not much difference between not participating and not doing well in this case as points would be lost anyway (it's just an assumption not that I don't think she'll do well:)) Next year it will be much easier to earn points and she'll soon be at the top again *fingers crossed*:)

Kimikim
Aug 1st, 2004, 06:17 AM
I agree with you, LleytonKimRULE (btw, what's your name?)
She can prepare for AO 2005! That's more important than comesback this year

Ting
Aug 1st, 2004, 06:36 AM
I agree with you, LleytonKimRULE (btw, what's your name?)
She can prepare for AO 2005! That's more important than comesback this year
My name is Torrance:)

Yeah go Kimmie for next year!:yeah:

Pinkie
Aug 1st, 2004, 12:41 PM
It's too bad her ranking will slip, but then again, she will have an awesome year next year when she has nothing to defend. Plus, it's not too bad to have Lindsay or Amelie in front of her, as Lindsay is probably going to retire at the end of the year and Amelie always has a few bad patches in her year as well. It would be quite another story if there was an entire generation of new top players who were just racing past Kim and Justine. And it's not that the Williams are doing that well either. So all in all it could be a lot worse.

.ivy.
Aug 1st, 2004, 09:32 PM
It's too bad her ranking will slip, but then again, she will have an awesome year next year when she has nothing to defend. Plus, it's not too bad to have Lindsay or Amelie in front of her, as Lindsay is probably going to retire at the end of the year and Amelie always has a few bad patches in her year as well. It would be quite another story if there was an entire generation of new top players who were just racing past Kim and Justine. And it's not that the Williams are doing that well either. So all in all it could be a lot worse.

You're right. On Kim's official website she says that she's more focused on getting healthy than keeping her ranking.

And it's always more fun to watch a player fight her way to the top, no?

ace4lleykim
Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:49 AM
Ramkings won't matter, if she plays her best tennis next yr, she will be back on top in no time, just hope she's not gonna struggle like the Williams. Serena now has to withdraw due to her left knee again. I hope Kim will learn those experiences, and will find the best treatments for her.

Kimikim
Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:33 PM
But, I think every #1 women tennis players in last few years had a chronic injury. They are Martina, Lindsay (tho not too chronic!), Williams sisters, Monica, and Kim. Justine also have a virus, so it was like a curse!

Ting
Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
But, I think every #1 women tennis players in last few years had a chronic injury. They are Martina, Lindsay (tho not too chronic!), Williams sisters, Monica, and Kim. Justine also have a virus, so it was like a curse!
Watch out whoever the next No.1 is:devil:

Brαm
Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:46 PM
I'm guessing... 12th maybe?

azmad_88
Aug 11th, 2004, 11:33 AM
i wan her to finish top 8...but will she be playing in the year-end tournament...shes been winnin g it for the past 2 years...can she play it this year?

Brαm
Aug 11th, 2004, 11:44 AM
i wan her to finish top 8...but will she be playing in the year-end tournament...shes been winnin g it for the past 2 years...can she play it this year?
She won't make it I'm afraid. You have to be no.8 in the Race to the Chase and she's not even top-10 now :awww:
If she were top-10 by the end of the year, that would be really really good :)

Ting
Aug 11th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Well who cares what her ranking will be this year, it hasn't been her year, she won't fall behind tooooooooo much anyway;)

Rub
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:12 PM
i think kim will come back still strong... i have a feeling!

Emiel Goelen
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Yup just like Lleyts has said "Rankings don't matter, as long as you win more GSs, your ranking will go up as well."
If Kim's not playing till next yr, then they will have special seeding for her.

Of course, it'll be hard for Kim to win LESS slams than she did before :p

About the Masters: if she's lucky, some other players withdraw, like the Williamses last year, and she can still sneak in, and defend her title. But of course, in this scenario, some other player would have to get injured, and I'm not wishing this for any player.

I don't really care 'bout her ranking. When Kim is back in top form, she'll get back up there.

veera
Aug 15th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Well, this year she has gained 1238 points. If she's not gonna play until next year, she'll be out of top 20 I'm afraid (right now with 1238 points she would be number 22). If she's going to play Hasselt, Moscow, Filderstadt and Zurich... well, if she wins all of them, I think she would qualify for the Masters. But the thing is, she won't win all of them. Hasselt could be realistical, but Moscow and Zurich are Tier I's and Filderstadt is a very strong Tier II .
I hope she can end this year inside top 15.
But I don't really care about her ranking as long as she gets well as soon as possible :)

Stefwhit
Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:20 AM
It's too bad she's looking like she wont finish with enough points to qualify for the Championships. I was looking forward to seeing her again- I'm planning on attending again this year. Before reading this thread I was sure she would qualify, didn't Lindz and Chanda miss the whole first half of the year when they came back from injury and didn't they both make the Championships that year. If that was the year I think Lidnz only played one GS (US Open) and still made it- please correct me if I'm wrong I may be mixing things up in my head...

In any event, I agree that her overall health is most important. Her ranking isn't an issue...she'll slowly climb back up. The cream of the crop alwayz rise back to the top.

KaseyL
Sep 16th, 2004, 01:28 PM
:sad: that Kim has fallen to #7 this week. But alas.

Anyone having any idea how deep she can fall before the end of the season?

Aussie_Kim
Sep 16th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Well if she is able to start playing again then surely her ranking will go back up. She probably won't finish top ten this yr but if she plays aust open (and as long as Lleyton doesn't inpregnate her :lol: ) and is able to be fit for the whole 2005 season, she has a good chance to get back to no.1 & really challenge those russians! ;)

~|Naomi|~
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:44 AM
If Kim doesn't play for the rest of the season she will finish around about 24-26 but considering she has actually on been able to succesfully compete three tournaments (AO, Antwerp and Paris), I'm not including Berlin and IW even though she has points albeit minimal accumulated from them because she withdrew from the events.

If she does play the indoor season and goes reasonably well, say a couple of QFs or even a SF she will probably finish in the top 20, she can not finish in top 10 as she will lose 750 points for LA.

After Antwerp next year Kim has basically nothing to defend until say Hasselt (if she does indeed play there), she has points to defend at Berlin and IW but she withdrew from both in round 3 so by her standards they are tiny defenses.

If Kim can stay fit and play what she wants, I think she will be back in top 10 by US Open next year as she doesn't have anything to defend at FO or Wimbly, even if she doesn't have a great seed if she is playing her best I'd tip her to pull off some upsets, I don't see the Russians as intimidating for her. When the WIlliams' came back they came to a tour in which Kim and JHH had dominated, no player has really stepped up like that in JHH and Kim's absence, the Russians play well for patches but they aren't as good as say JHH.

I know a lot of people think Kim shouldn't come back now because she won't get a protected rank or a special seeding, but Kim isn't a GS winner yet and so wouldn't automatically get a SS anyway, yes she would get entry into tournaments if her rank isn't high enough. But if Kim can play a good couple of tournaments at the end of the year she will put herself in a good position to do well at AO, although her ranking will probably drop further after AO but go back up again soon after. Even if she does drop to say 60 after AO, Antwerp and paris points come off (which is highly unlikely if she has an OK fall season and does Ok in Aus), Kim is a gold exempt player if she asked for a wild card she'd get one, so that works just as well as having a protected rank. Kim doesn't need a protected rank, she qualifies for the fall tournaments although probably won't be seeded in all of them and she will qualify for AO, Sydney will be tough but as a gold exempt and Sydney being in Aus I'm sure Kim could get a WC. If kim doesn't play the end of the year she won't have much preparation for Aussie summer (remember she has nothing to defend in Sydney) and when those points come off she won't have any fall points to fall back on and her rank would drop even further.

So basically if she doesn't play this year she will be about 25, if she does she could scrape into top 20 as not much separates 25 and 20 only a couple of hundred and a semi and a QF would hopefully get her there.

azmad_88
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:56 PM
she cant finish in top 10 at all?
that is so cruel
what if she get into the finals in Msocow Haselt filderstat
and everywhere she plays..

tibe
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:21 PM
that is so cruel
aren't hasselt and moskou 2 tournaments where she can win a lot of points :shrug:
but nothing to win in filderstadt and luxemburg :sad:
last year in zurich she lost in the semis against dokic (or am i completely wrong :o )

Sarah<Kim-fan>
Sep 17th, 2004, 06:55 PM
aren't hasselt and moskou 2 tournaments where she can win a lot of points :shrug:
but nothing to win in filderstadt and luxemburg :sad:
last year in zurich she lost in the semis against dokic (or am i completely wrong :o )
no, I think you're right about Zurich :)
and well, if she falls out of the top 10, she probably won't have a high seed at the AO, but indeed, after Antwerp she has absolutely nothing to defend, and especially at the FO and WImbledon she should be able to get lots of points!

ace4lleykim
Sep 17th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Hasselt is Tier II right, so if she wins, she won't get as much pts. The important is to get in to the atleast the quarters of the other two tourneys, then I think she's fine.

Aussie_Kim
Sep 18th, 2004, 04:43 AM
I thought it was tier III? But maybe I'm wrong.
I think we need to face she can't earn a lot of points for the rest of the year cos she missed 3 of the four grandslams. But just think she has very little to defend for next year.
I'm interested to see how her come back will go afterall we've all seen Venus & Serena struggle this year & I honestly don't think they have the strength or the will power to get back to the very top at this point in time.
However, thats not to say it would be impossible for Kim. Only time will tell. ;) Lets just hope at AO next year she's not concentrating on the wedding so much her tennis gets distracted! :lol: Altho you can hardly bame her, if I was getting married thats all I'd be able to think about for months before hand! :p

~|Naomi|~
Sep 18th, 2004, 01:57 PM
that is so cruel
Well she is unlikely to do that given she hasn't played for months.
She can't earn points in Filderstadt as she is defending it, she is also defending Luxembourg.
She can't really win a lot of points in Hasselt as she is defending semi points from Leipzig there and it is only a tier 3 so not much on offer unless she beats Dementieva for the bonus points. She is defending a semi in Zurich so really only Moscow where she can only gain points. And then after all that LA will come off

tibe
Sep 18th, 2004, 03:42 PM
no, I think you're right about Zurich :)
and well, if she falls out of the top 10, she probably won't have a high seed at the AO, but indeed, after Antwerp she has absolutely nothing to defend, and especially at the FO and WImbledon she should be able to get lots of points!
isn't she seeded 2 at AO?? a protected ranking :shrug:

-Em-
Sep 18th, 2004, 03:54 PM
I think she'll get the protected ranking seeding...i mean if serena and venus have been getting it for the whole season, why shouldn't Kimmie get it....:shrug:

wateva
Sep 18th, 2004, 04:03 PM
come on kim! get back in the number 1 rank where u truly belong! anyway, somebody called sense tried to bad rep me after i listed kim to win some of the slams next year. what an ass...

Sarah<Kim-fan>
Sep 18th, 2004, 04:21 PM
I think she'll get the protected ranking seeding...i mean if serena and venus have been getting it for the whole season, why shouldn't Kimmie get it....:shrug:
I think you have to be out for 6 months to get a protected rank...
but I think, I can be wrong, that the organisators can chose not to follow the rankings for the seeds... Wimbledon f.i. hardly ever follows the rankings... so maybe they'll give her a special seed at the AO... but I'm totally not sure of all this! maybe someone else who knows more about it, can correct me...

angele87
Sep 18th, 2004, 04:32 PM
You have to be off the tour for a certain amount of time to get a protected ranking... I'm pretty sure it's 6 or 8 months but whatever it is the Williams sisters were gone from the tour for that period of time and Kim won't be so no protected ranking. However because the Grand Slams are not wta tournaments but rather ITF, they do not have to follow the rankings/special ranking system and can pretty much seed people however they want. Wimbledon is the prime example of this because they do it every year. AO could legally give Kim a higher seed but I'm not sure that they will. I'm not sure that AO has a history of adjusting the seeds so if they were to do it for Kim it might not sit well with a lot of people. Personally I'm not expecting her to get a higher seeding but if she does it'll be a nice surprise!

veera
Sep 18th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Kim doesn't need a protected rank, she qualifies for the fall tournaments although probably won't be seeded in all of them and she will qualify for AO, Sydney will be tough but as a gold exempt and Sydney being in Aus I'm sure Kim could get a WC. If kim doesn't play the end of the year she won't have much preparation for Aussie summer (remember she has nothing to defend in Sydney) and when those points come off she won't have any fall points to fall back on and her rank would drop even further.

:confused: Of course she will qualify for Sidney... She has gained this year about 1200 points, as you wrote, which means her ranking is at least about 20 at the time of Sidney... Or do you mean Sydney 2006? Cause it's a bit early for that... ;)

Clijsters10
Sep 19th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Hi guys! :wavey: I am a very big fan of Kim Clijster's and have been on this forum for about a month now but haven't decided to post until now. I have been enjoying everyone's posts and hopefully I will be welcomed warmly and you all could enjoy my posts as well ;) lol.

I am very glad that Kim is back! :bounce: :yippee: :woohoo: I have one question, though, is Kim playing at the AO? Thank you.

ace4lleykim
Sep 19th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Yea Kim mite get a protected ranking in AO, but in other WTA tourneys, she will be ranked as she is unless she waits until November to qualify for a protected ranking like the William Sisters.
You're rite Naomi, she has three titles to defend, wow, still a lil pressure for her, let see how she can handle it. ;)

~|Naomi|~
Sep 19th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Kim will only get a protected rank if she doesn't play till next year. That isn't a Special seeding it only gets you in to tournaments. Kim doesn't automatically get a special seeding as she hasn't won a slam. AO does not normally change seedings they normally go with rankings unless someone has a SS. So overall Kim won't be seeded very highly at all. There is talk though she may play gold coast. The points from that week will be the last to go one before they take AO seeds.

:confused: Of course she will qualify for Sidney... She has gained this year about 1200 points, as you wrote, which means her ranking is at least about 20 at the time of Sidney... Or do you mean Sydney 2006? Cause it's a bit early for that... ;)

No I meant 2005. If Kim doesn't play this year, cause I don't think there is any gurantee she will or if she does and she loses early each time she should be about 24-26. Sydney always has a very very very high cutoff. They have a draw of 28 that inludes 3 wild cards plus qualifying spots not sure how many about 3 or 4 so that means 21 or 22 direct so if Kim finished say 25 there is no guarantee she would be in, the Williams are unliekly to be there but other than them all others should be. Kim will probably get in but I was just showing Sydney as an example that as GE player Kim isn't going to need a protected rank as she is guranteed to benefit from a special seeding anyway.

KaseyL
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM
*bump* :angel:

According to De Standaard today:

Kim, now world number 20, will have half of her points left after the AO. If she won't defend Paris (title she won in 2004) she'll drop to number 86.

Alas.

To anyone great at such things: can this be true?

Brαm
Jan 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Justine tuimelt naar 15, Kim naar 86

Maar liefst vijfenveertig weken voerde Justine Henin de wereldranglijst van het vrouwentennis aan. Zowat een jaar geleden stond ze met meer dan 7000 punten op een recordhoogte. Maar daar blijven er volgende maand niet veel meer van over.

In januari 2004 leverde de winst in het tornooi van Sydney haar 327 WTA- punten op. Haar titel op de Australian Open was goed voor 958 punten. Deze punten zal ze de volgende weken verliezen, waardoor ze er nog 1599 zal overhouden. Op de huidige ranglijst zou haar dat van achtste naar de vijftiende plaats doen tuimelen.

Ook de vrije val van Kim Clijsters zet zich verder. Ze staat nu nog maar 22ste. Na de Australian Open ziet de Limburgse haar puntentotaal zowat halveren. Haar 664 punten zetten haar in de huidige ranking op stek 49. Als Clijsters niet in Parijs maar pas in Antwerpen haar heroptreden maakt, gaan er eerst ook nog eens de punten van het Franse tornooi af. De 416 resterende punten zouden haar nu 86ste van de wereld maken.

If Kim comes back in Antwerp, she will have
253 (Antwerp 04) + 29 (Indian Wells 04) + 46 (Berlin 04) + 88 (Hasselt 04) = 416 points.

If Kim loses in the 1st round in Antwerp (worst case scenario), she will have 164 points in total.
She would be ranked +/- 195th then :awww:

Conclusion: if Kim's 1st tournament of the year is Antwerp and if she doesn't win it, she is sure to fall out fo the top-100.

fifiricci
Jan 10th, 2005, 01:05 PM
My attitude to this is philosophical. Kim can't play until the injury is fully healed and she can play again with continuity. If, in the meantime, Kim's ranking plummets into the depths, there is nothing to be done about it.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that Kim has already commented that she doesn't care what her ranking drops to, she just wants to wait until the injury is fullyt healed so that she can get back to playing the sort of schedule she did in 2003 (minus the doubles).

~|Naomi|~
Jan 10th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Bram is right:)
Kim will still get direct entry into IW and Miami as entry is taken on the rankings 6 weeks prior. If however she doesn't play Antwerp, she could wait till Amelia Island and get a protected ranking.
However, I think you only need to look at Tommy Haas who came back without a ranking yet finished the year top 20 or Marat Safin who came back at 90 or so and finished top 5 to see that once the top players are able to play again, the wild cards are there for them and I'd think the wta would support Kim in helping her get wcs. I just hope the French tennis federation will give her a FO one if she is fit because I don't think she will have enough time by then to get her ranking down.
Kim just has to worry about her wrist right now, the ranking is irrelevant no matter how low it goes, once she gets some tournaments and matches behind her I'm sure her ranking will go up, 2005 isn't a year about winning everything it is about returning to the tour and consolidating herself on the tour.

~|Naomi|~
Feb 21st, 2005, 05:53 AM
For those who are interested after one event Kim is 61st in the race points with 99 points, all those ranked around her have played 3 to 6 events so their average points per event is obviously no where near as good as Kim's which is obviously 99:p

I thought it was more relevant to look at the race rankings than the actual ones. However, the actual ones do make for interesting reading Kim has played 4 events and all those around her have played 25-30:p

Kim_Is_The_Best
Feb 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM
134. Clijsters Kim

:sad: :sad: :sad:

~|Naomi|~
Feb 21st, 2005, 01:32 PM
eh ignore that it is going up in no time you only have to look at the few events she has played to get that in comparison to what most play to get there to see that:)

lovekimmie
Feb 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM
that is realy sooooo depressing :sad: ... but i try to look at it as Alicia Molik does: " Kim has always been and will always BE a WORLD CLASS PLAYER " so whoever she meets in any tournament at all, nobody will see her as number 134, but as someone out of the top 10 ... concidering that's the level she's playing at already!!!

Everybody knows her on tour, and all the fans also ... when they announce number 134 on court and they see Kim clijsters coming up, they will be quite " surprised " i guess :D but they will think " hey man, this will be a 'top class' match' Kim Clijsters is playing! " She will always be "Kim" no matter wich number is behind her name! It willnot keep one single fan away from the court! :kiss:

~|Naomi|~
Feb 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM
No tournament will introduce her as the 134, that is bad for the tournament they will introduce her as a former number 1 and a former winner of this and that and say she had wrist surgery mid 2004, that is much better for the promotion of the tournament and the match:)

Noone unless they are stupid would look at Kim and see her as a player ranked 134 they would see a top player returning from surgery already playing a high level and dangerous to all opponents who will return back to whers she belongs in the top 10:)

Yasmine
Feb 21st, 2005, 05:35 PM
Noone unless they are stupid would look at Kim and see her as a player ranked 134 they would see a top player returning from surgery already playing a high level and dangerous to all opponents who will return back to whers she belongs in the top 10:)
She'll be back up there in no time, methinks... :angel: I mean she had a good run in Antwerp already and I must confess I was very worried how things were gonna go beforehand :tape: .

Grohl
Feb 21st, 2005, 07:59 PM
give her a few months and she'll be back...

ace4lleykim
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:47 AM
So how many points did she earn when she lost in the quarters? What's her Porsche standing rite now? I'M SO LOST!!! I haven't been here for a while so I'm a like a bird in the forest. Thanks. :)

Btw, did you guys see the poll on www.wtatour.com , many voted that Kim will be aiming for top 10. ;) I have confidence in her too.

thelma
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:55 AM
I have confidence in her too.

here the same ;)

Hagar
Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:09 AM
I'm not worried.

I think they can already prepare the "Comeback of the Year 2005" trophy for Kim. Provided she stays healthy, she'll zoom to the top in no time.

Grohl
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
I'm not worried.

I think they can already prepare the "Comeback of the Year 2005" trophy for Kim. Provided she stays healthy, she'll zoom to the top in no time.
no doubt about it!!!

~|Naomi|~
Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:37 PM
Here you go lovekimmie this should cheer you up:) Kim is definately still considered a big name in tennis this article mentions Kim, Maria, Lindsay and Kuznetosva as the headliners for IW (hopefully all 4 are drawn in different quarters:p )

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20050222-9999-lz1s22notes.html

The Pacific Life Open at the Tennis Garden of Indian Wells March 7-20 has attracted its usual stellar field, including every one of the ranking 50 players on the ATP Tour and such women as Kim Clijsters, Maria Sharapova, Lindsay Davenport and Svetlana Kuznetsova. This year's schedule offers a "Super Saturday" on March 19, when both men's semifinals and the women's final are to be offered. The men's final the following day is best-of-five sets. Roger Federer is the defending men's champion. Justine Henin-Hardenne, the defending women's champion, won't be around again because of cytomegalovirus, the illness that has idled her for months.

I think the comeback of the year award is between Kim and JHH I think Kim would be in the better position to take it out as her ranking has dropped a lot lower and she missed 4 slams to JHH's 2 but I still think it is a race for it between the two of them as JHH missed a lot of tennis to but not as much as Kim although she qualifies for a protected ranking as her time out was consecutive whereas Kim made little comebacks and hopefully Kim will take it out:)

ace4lleykim
Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
I've asked this question many times, but what's Kim next tournament?! Thanks.

fifiricci
Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:15 PM
I've asked this question many times, but what's Kim next tournament?! Thanks.

Indian Wells, beginning on 7 March (or thereabouts).

ace4lleykim
Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
Ok thanks. Wow, that's a while. I hope she will get alot more practice to improve her ranking and skills. Thanks again FiFi. ;) (can I call you that?):p

Brαm
Mar 7th, 2005, 09:04 PM
With 2004 Indian Wells points off Kim's new ranking is 146 :help:

Let's hope she does well :kiss: The only way is UP :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:53 AM
If she maked round 3 (which she did lat year) she will get more points this year as she doesn't have a bye. Good to see she hasn't fallen out of top 150 with her points off though as that ranking should get her into Berlin & Rome quallies.

lovekimmie
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:52 PM
yes, but i think she gets a " protected ranking " after Indian wells and Key Biscayne, Naomi. i heard her mentioning that so i guess that includes not to have to qualify for important events like Berlin and Rome ... . :kiss:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Kim won't get a prtected ranking she would have only got one had she not played for 6 months so had she not played till after Miami, but she already played Antwerp.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Not very important as ranking is irrelevant at the moment but as I'm bored and can't be bothered to do uni work ;) I worked out Kim should be +/- 118 now pretty good considering she could have been 190ish after Antwerp and she still only has 4 tournaments, the ones around her have 20-30 events played.

Grohl
Mar 14th, 2005, 10:07 AM
go kim! up to the top 10, where you belong!

Alfie
Mar 15th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Kim won't get a prtected ranking she would have only got one had she not played for 6 months so had she not played till after Miami, but she already played Antwerp.

Naomi everything you said about the ranking was confirmed by MJF. So why does Jon Wertheim say it's unclear. :confused: Also, if they can give a special seeding to Davenport and the Williams sisters IMO they should give one to Kim.

Yesterday, Mary Joe Fernandez (during the Sharapova-Safina match) said: Clijsters is back and she is playing well. She was out only 5 months and played in October of last year so did not qualify for the protected ranking. [EDIT: Another month and Kim would've qualified :sad: ] She could've gotten a protected ranking had she been out longer which would help her get into tournaments.

Cliff Drysdale: She's not seeded here Mary Joe why? She would've been seeded here realistically 3 or 4 right?

Mary Joe: If they gave her the special seeding which they did with Davenport and the Williams sisters, but the WTA is trying to get away from that, but she didn't even get the protected ranking because she wasn't out long enough. She played a tournament in October which she regrets now not ready to come back.

CD: So she's just gonna have to work her way up the thing now that's just...

MJ: She sure is, but I gotta tell you she looks fit she's hitting the ball well. it was her left wrist so she was still able to practice. her forehand looks very sharp she changed her swing on the backhand a little bit because of the injury. A little bit more of a straight back loop.

CD: As it turned out for Kimmy Clijsters she's got a good draw. I remember Mauresmo went out to Linetskaya. [EDIT: It's funny the commentator really called her Kimmy :lol: ]

MJ: And it will be about playing matches getting that confidence up again, knowing what to do on those big points.

ace4lleykim
Mar 15th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks Alfie, yea I did hear them said that too. Just one more month, then Kim will get the protected ranking. Maybe she wants to start again from scratch, she wants to challenge herself.

Yasmine
Mar 15th, 2005, 10:54 PM
I think she was eager to start playing competitively again whether her ranking was protected or not. And the idea of coming back in front of belgian croud helped too ;)