PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that misses a good road runner?

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I mean WTA's current tennis is either pusher or baseline power, with some exceptions but... no road runners like Amanda Coetzer I love watching videos of her. also Venus Williams (YES I LIKE WATCHING HER PLAY I PREFER HER A THOUSAND TIMES THAN SERENA) when she ran a lot back in the late 90's/early 2000's. It gives tennis a lot.

M.A.S.L.
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I don't know exactly what a road runner is.

OsloErik
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I always had a soft spot for the Panova-Smashnova contingent of the tour, the women who had limited skills but were supremely fit and willing to stay out there all day. A mixture of Evert's determination to play as long as it takes to win the point with a far lesser skill set; the ball comes back into the court the same way, no spin or slice or significant pace, but the placement and consistency was something to be amazed by. Also, what makes a player like that able to succeed where you and I would fail is the remarkable anticipation. Panova always impressed me with her anticipation, she knew how EVERY opponent hit the ball and knew where to go on the court. You had to overpower her, which wasn't terribly hard to do, because she would get to the ball. You had to give her something she couldn't put back in the court. May not be the prettiest way to win a match, from her or from you, but it sure was gritty and took real determination.

spencercarlos
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I mean WTA's current tennis is either pusher or baseline power, with some exceptions but... no road runners like Amanda Coetzer I love watching videos of her. also Venus Williams (YES I LIKE WATCHING HER PLAY I PREFER HER A THOUSAND TIMES THAN SERENA) when she ran a lot back in the late 90's/early 2000's. It gives tennis a lot.
Yeah watch Coetzer vs Martinez match at Roland Garros 97 and Usopen 98.. Full of joy in each match :tape:

Sorry but do i miss Coetzer´s boring fest moonballing? No!!!

Do i miss the days when Venus used to run around the court and spead her full physical strenght Yes.. mentioned this yesterday rewacthing the Usopen 2000 SF.

Speaking of road runners I miss a player like Arantxa was well. She was a mix of everything!! IMO

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Yeah watch Coetzer vs Martinez match at Roland Garros 97 and Usopen 98.. Full of joy in each match :tape:

Do i miss the days when Venus used to run around the court and spead her full physical strenght Yes.. mentioned this yesterday rewacthing the Usopen 2000 SF.

Speaking of road runners I miss a player like Arantxa was well. She was a mix of everything!! IMO

I don't miss Arantxa becoz... I mean she run and that but... she wasn't athletic at all like Coetzer

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I always had a soft spot for the Panova-Smashnova contingent of the tour, the women who had limited skills but were supremely fit and willing to stay out there all day. A mixture of Evert's determination to play as long as it takes to win the point with a far lesser skill set; the ball comes back into the court the same way, no spin or slice or significant pace, but the placement and consistency was something to be amazed by. Also, what makes a player like that able to succeed where you and I would fail is the remarkable anticipation. Panova always impressed me with her anticipation, she knew how EVERY opponent hit the ball and knew where to go on the court. You had to overpower her, which wasn't terribly hard to do, because she would get to the ball. You had to give her something she couldn't put back in the court. May not be the prettiest way to win a match, from her or from you, but it sure was gritty and took real determination.

Oh yes I also missed Smashnova! But I think I've never watched Panova play

disco_rage
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Coetzer, Smashnova and Panova did not lack talent at all what they really lacked was height... All three of them were like 5ft 1 or 2 at most......

and I'm so sick of people saying Coetzer only hit moonballs her game was so much more than that.

OsloErik
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I don't miss Arantxa becoz... I mean she run and that but... she wasn't athletic at all like Coetzer

Are you KIDDING me? ASV was one of the premier athletes of tennis in any era. One of the finest net-players of the past 25 years, had one of the BEST smashes in tennis, and sustained her top 5 ability for more than 10 years, unlike Coetzer who had a very good year-and-a-half and then retrieved her way into the top 20 for a decade.

OsloErik
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Coetzer, Smashnova and Panova did not lack talent at all what they really lacked was height... All three of them were like 5ft 1 or 2 at most......

and I'm so sick of people saying Coetzer only hit moonballs her game was so much more than that.

All of them had talent, but the talent wasn't ball-striking. Don't get me wrong, Coetzer could turn a backhand around and stun you, but none of them had significant variety off either wing. They hit very similar balls on every stroke. What won them matches were consistency, placement, speed, and an ability to anticipate. We're talking about a prototype that produced Elena Dementieva, for crying out loud, which CLEARLY indicates there's talent in there. But they didn't have nearly as broad a skill set as a lot of their peers, and I'm not just talking about power.

OsloErik
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:55 PM

I hated two retrievers up against one another, or even two counter-punchers (unless one was Arantxa :drool: ), but I could watch a good retriever against a good aggressive player all day. And sometimes I had to, :lol: . But you are correct; if there is any single match-up worse than the Kuznetsova-Chakvetadze US Open semifinal, it's seeing two retrieving-minded players waste 3 hours of everyone's life in the 90s.

What always bugged me about Martinez was her willingness to go along with it. She had enough variety that you wanted her to do something more with a shot, but she would rather keep on changing the pace and spin until the opponent blew it. It meant each shot was a mystery, but not a mystery you care about.

Arantxa, in retrospect, was one of the most fun players of the 90s. She didn't have as many supporters as Graf or Seles or Hingis, or even Pierce, but she did a little bit of everything on the court.

mirzalover
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I thought Amanda had a pretty good forehand when she wanted to hit it hard?

OsloErik
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I thought Amanda had a pretty good forehand when she wanted to hit it hard?

She was an agressive counter-puncher when she wanted to be, and she could turn around opponent's BIG shots (she had a lovely stretch against Graf, and though Graf's movement was compromised, it was still a work of art seeing Coetzer time her shot against Graf's massive forehand) better than a lot of players of her genre, but for much of her career she was a passive counter puncher who relied on the occassional forehand to keep the opponent off balance and a tough-to-read backhand. Think Jankovic, but not quite that, even.

Dementieva_Dude
Jul 15th, 2010, 10:06 PM

Have you ever seen Arantxa play? To say she wasn't athletic is just so incredibly wrong - her atheticism was SUPERB.

Back to the original question, yes, I do miss it sometimes, it added another something into the fold of the WTA Tour.

Dave.
Jul 15th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Coetzer is one of my top favourite players to watch. Maybe I've not seen enough of her regular matches and only those against Graf/Davenport/Venus etc. but I thought she was pretty aggressive most of the time, especially for her size. The forehand had alot on it, and not just when she was on the run, and she was a more than adequate volleyer. Her match with Venus at AO '01 is a fun one even if it has a few errors in it.

She was an agressive counter-puncher when she wanted to be, and she could turn around opponent's BIG shots (she had a lovely stretch against Graf, and though Graf's movement was compromised, it was still a work of art seeing Coetzer time her shot against Graf's massive forehand) better than a lot of players of her genre, but for much of her career she was a passive counter puncher who relied on the occassional forehand to keep the opponent off balance and a tough-to-read backhand. Think Jankovic, but not quite that, even.

Yes. I love watching her against Graf. Same with other passive players like ASV or Sabatini (on clay). I like all the different trajectories these players would throw at her forehand and Graf's would always/mostly be the same (hard/flat) reply. And then the same when they hit to the backhand.

The Dawntreader
Jul 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Cibulkova is probably the closest thing to a player of Coetzer's ilk, but:

a) She doesn't have the same intricate footwork as Coetzer. Isn't naturally as agile, and isn't as light off the ground. Cibulkova actually takes quite powerful, compact strides, rather than precise, nimble steps.

b) Doesn't have the same kind of ball-control/timing as Coetzer. Finds it harder to redirect pace, and thus has to play defensively 65% of the time, because her ability to put pace on the ball is dubious, especially over a complete match span.

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Have you ever seen Arantxa play? To say she wasn't athletic is just so incredibly wrong - her atheticism was SUPERB.

Back to the original question, yes, I do miss it sometimes, it added another something into the fold of the WTA Tour.

Her ass was giant

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 15th, 2010, 10:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC0713TQycI I miss Coetzer matches like this, where the players actually had to put some thought into constructing points in order to win them.

JJ all the way
Jul 15th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Jj?

Wannabeknowitall
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Cibulkova is probably the closest thing to a player of Coetzer's ilk, but:

a) She doesn't have the same intricate footwork as Coetzer. Isn't naturally as agile, and isn't as light off the ground. Cibulkova actually takes quite powerful, compact strides, rather than precise, nimble steps.

b) Doesn't have the same kind of ball-control/timing as Coetzer. Finds it harder to redirect pace, and thus has to play defensively 65% of the time, because her ability to put pace on the ball is dubious, especially over a complete match span.

I have to agree that Cibulkova is the closest thing to Coetzer in this tennis generation.

I have to agree that Coezter had amazing ball-control.
Yes she was a roadrunner but she didn't just run. She was able to use topspin that didn't comprise of just moonballs to really give players like Venus and Graf problems on their forehand.
In fact, the same problems Graf had with her eastern grip backhand against Coetzer is the same problems Federer now has against Nadal.

LeonHart
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Coezter hits quite hard compared to a player like Smashnova.

Shonami Slam
Jul 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM
yeah yeah, 90-mid2000 tennis.
not gunna happen as much.

i love smashnova.
she knew it was only a sport, thus - conquered it.

Patrick345
Jul 17th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I don't know exactly what a road runner is.

A Roadrunner:

http://www.cartoonspot.net/looney-tunes/picture/road-runner-1.jpg

Kuznetsova:

http://creativegreenius.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/wile-e-coyote.jpg

timafi
Jul 17th, 2010, 07:17 PM
death ^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

moby
Jul 17th, 2010, 07:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC0713TQycI I miss Coetzer matches like this, where the players actually had to put some thought into constructing points in order to win them.This match made me sad. It was the first slam back after injury forced Martina to pull out of a slam for the first time in her career.

I believe the final score was 3 and 4 for Martina... except Amanda was playing worse than she did at the Australian 02, and Martina beat Amanda 0 and 1 then.

edificio
Jul 17th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I don't. I never liked Coetzer's game, which is not to say she was bad and couldn't play an interesting match now and again. Same with Aranxta. Obviously, Aranxta had a lot more talents than just running back and forth, though. Tenacity, bullheadedness, cleverness. She had more than just the feet.

LCS
Jul 17th, 2010, 09:28 PM
FAIL. WTAW only knows two types of players: ballbashers and pushers. :wavey:

AdeyC
Jul 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Meep Meep

balkanbabesband
Jul 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Jelena is a good road runner no?

Direwolf
Jul 19th, 2010, 07:17 AM
How about Pironkova/Jaja??

So Disrespectful
Jul 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Coetzer could change direction faster than almost any woman I've seen. For her height, she could attack high balls to her backhand very early and go either way without fail. I've also seen her play very competently at the net, she had good court awareness and her serve seemed consistent and well placed enough, in spite of her short stature.

Her forehand was a bit of a floater, but she could still be aggressive with it on the right ball.

rockstar
Jul 19th, 2010, 09:25 AM
she reminds me of a wozniacki who can hit winners :shrug:

Sammo
Jul 19th, 2010, 10:17 AM
A Roadrunner:

http://www.cartoonspot.net/looney-tunes/picture/road-runner-1.jpg

Kuznetsova:

http://creativegreenius.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/wile-e-coyote.jpg

:spit:

laurie
Jul 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM