PDA

View Full Version : Which player of the past would fit the most on todays Tennis playing style?

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
From the past I mean Player who have Retired and are no longer active on the WTA tour!and of course players who played under Different Eras of the Womens Tennis!Would they fit into the Williams Sisters,Sharapova,Clijsters,Henin type of play!

Volcana
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Chris Evert. She's the base model for the modern player anyway. She was one of the best athletes on the tour, in her day, and with today's rackets, she'd keep her accuracy while being able to generate way more pace.

Julian.
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Tatiana Golovin & Nicole Vaidisova :tears:

faboozadoo15
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Seles would be top3.

Slutati
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Tatiana Golovin & Nicole Vaidisova :tears:
PREACH gurl!

http://i25.tinypic.com/5vdbw5.gif

Shepster
Jul 15th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Sue Barker - huge forehand, total choke-artist, she'd fit right in.

Miss Amor
Jul 15th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Seles and Davenport

moby
Jul 15th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Define "past".

Graf would fit in any era of tennis, past present future.

brickhousesupporter
Jul 15th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Chris Evert. She's the base model for the modern player anyway. She was one of the best athletes on the tour, in her day, and with today's rackets, she'd keep her accuracy while being able to generate way more pace.
If you think Chrissie would make it today, then you have to include the more powerful Chrissie clone Tracy Austin. She beat Chrissie at her own game.

miffedmax
Jul 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Anna Mallory. Grinding, no-prisoners baseline game, run you into the ground. Think (from what I've read, because she dates from the teens) Dementieva's grinding game with Evert's mental toughness and Serena's "bring it bitch" attitude.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:30 PM
On the mens side - Pancho Gonzales, Lew Hoad and Don Budge
WTA side - Monica Seles and Althea Gibson

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Davenport... but it depends on what do you mean by ''past''. Davenport would demolish Althea Gibson for example lol.

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Define "past".

Graf would fit in any era of tennis, past present future.

Like the Retired Players!
Cause I think there are a lot of players in the past that have done well..But when the Era of the Williamses came and the tennis became more powerful they didn't stand a chance!

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Am I the only one ,who thinks about Anna Kournikova ? :lol:

for Example Ana imo has no chance against Todays players cause she would get ripped of the court!!Or Even hingiss

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:42 PM
for Example Ana imo has no chance against Todays players cause she would get ripped of the court!!Or Even hingiss
Anna Kournikova has an injury every two inches of body, but Hingis does have opportunities against mediocre players (top 100 I mean) she's been demolishing everyone in her way in exhibitions this year. And Venus had to save 3 match points against her and Venus wasn't playing bad.

New_balls_please
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Dominique Monami (ex Van Roost) BY FAR

Those flat groundstrokes were unbelievable :worship:

homogenius
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Nathalie Tauziat.She would S&V her way to the top10.

Acinolbaj
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Myskina :hearts:

Wannabeknowitall
Jul 16th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Gabriela Sabatini.

Julian.
Jul 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Mary Pierce

I'm surprised nobody mentioned her.

Yonexforever
Jul 16th, 2010, 06:59 PM
On the mens side - Pancho Gonzales, Lew Hoad and Don Budge
WTA side - Monica Seles and Althea Gibson

:worship::worship:
Someone who gave this some thought and knows a little tennis history!

:wavey:

debopero
Jul 16th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Anna Kournikova has an injury every two inches of body, but Hingis does have opportunities against mediocre players (top 100 I mean) she's been demolishing everyone in her way in exhibitions this year. And Venus had to save 3 match points against her and Venus wasn't playing bad.

It was on one set (not even that), an exhibition, on a multi-colored court, with no-ad scoring :tape: . Venus did not play and well and I would not expect her to.

n1_and_uh_noone
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Steffi, without a doubt.

fammmmedspin
Jul 16th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Steffi, without a doubt.

Pretty clearly if you assume age isn't a factor and things like service speeds have gone up to match new technology. Kim won the US open only few months after she had real trouble playing Steffi at Wimbledon and only won because the age difference finally told in endurance terms. Kim is faster and smarter, has more weapons and is and more consistent than most tour players now.

Interesting to see a peak form Mary too against todays better returners. I suspect she would blast them aside too.

The Dawntreader
Jul 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Pierce, completely.

Her game was always miles ahead of her generation anyway.

nat75
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Gaby (with a better serve). :p

hingis-seles
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Monica, who was insanely ahead of her time. She played with today's power and yesterday's accuracy.

Deck
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:58 AM
more about quality than about style, but yeah first name that came to my mind was Seles too

kiwifan
Jul 17th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Graf
Novotna
Mandlikova
Evert
Seles

Gemini7
Jul 17th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Most of them. There is a real dearth of talent at the moment. I got into Tennis in the 1990's watching players like Graf, Seles, Hingis, etc. However, over the last 5 years I've simply lost interest. However, I did watch Wimbledon, but only because of the return to the game of Henin and Clijsters out of curiosity. I think its really sad that it takes the return of two players approaching their 30's to generate any real interest in the game nowadays. Women's tennis has witnessed a sharp decline in popularity in recent years for which I think the WTA should be held responsible. The top players are basically an aging group of players with a large number of them approaching retirement (i.e. the Williams sisters, Clijsters, Henin, who lets face it are the best 4 players in the world at the moment and all nearing or reached 30). Where are the next generation of great players going to come from who are any good? At one point in 2008/09, with both Williams sisters having problems with injuries and Henin and Clijsters having both retired, there was an almost farcical period where a succession of so called world number 1's became number 1 without having ever won a grand slam (i.e. Jankovic, Safina, etc)! With little new talent in the pipeline, once the Williams sisters, Henin, and Clijsters have gone, the WTA faces an enormous problem in attracting money into the sport without big name players. This is basically why I cannot be bothered to watch anymore. I believe the problem resides in the WTA's Age Eligibility Rules which artificially restrict the number of tournaments young players can play, thereby stunting their development. It is no coincidence that since these rules came in 1994, nobody under age of 20 has broken through in quite the same way Graf, Seles, Hingis, Evert, Austen, used to before they came in. And there lies the problem. With no big names to replace the Williams sisters, Henin, Clijsters, anywhere in sight, the game faces a crisis once they have gone. Quite simply, the WTA are overseeing a dying sport. What prompted me to write this. I just happened to come across a game featuring Graf and Hingis on Youtube which reminded of just how good Tennis used to be in the 1990's. The game needs a new injection of talent. The WTA need to stop holding new players back and get rid of the Age Eligibility Rules. Otherwise the game is dead as many more vote with their feet and simply stop watching

AcesHigh
Jul 17th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I think Austin.. Althea Gibson... and honestly? aside from Evert, Nav and Graf who could play in any era, I really think BJK could do really well today despite physical limitations.

AdeyC
Jul 17th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Sue Barker - huge forehand, total choke-artist, she'd fit right in.

Well it would depend on whether it was before or after her Wimbledon semi loss to Stove in '77 - that one match destroyed her confidence.