PDA

View Full Version : Any update on P V Beach & Prague replacements?

HOS
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Obvioulsy there was news earlier int he year that PVB and Prague were going, and we all speculated replacements....any updates?
I think we heard that the PVB licence was staying in the states but it was not staying on clay in April. (Shame btw, Charlie shouldn't be stand alone, esp when you consider it was orginally 1/4 green clay court events for a long period iof time, Houston, Tampa, Amelia Island and Charleston (well Hilton HEad)

I think it was suggested the event would move the week before or after Memphis. Any update on this? Maybe Oklahoma City (who sold its rights to Memphis) will come back?

I dunno.

And Prague?
Any update?

Thanks in advance

mckyle.
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Washington DC now has a tournament the same week as Stanford.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:15 AM
DC replaces PVB dunno what the situation is with Prague :shrug:

HOS
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Really?
Wow!
So, totally belive you but have I missed this in an obvious place?
Is oit on teh USta site or WTA?

So willDC be played the same week as the DC mens event?
I really wish DC was the week before Stanford- reckon it is silly having two USA events in one week.
Does that mean ther will be 3 events that week? As in Stanford, DS & Istanbul or is Istanbul either 1. movingt o Prague week or going because it has the EOY Champs?
Does that also mean Doha is back in Feb?
Any other changes?
Thanks again

KournikovaFan91
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:20 AM
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/AboutTheTour/TourCalendar_2011.pdf
2011 Calendar :yeah:

Istanbul is 2011 YEC destination, so no tournament there.

HOS
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:44 AM
thanks-i feel like such a dork for not checking that!
I didn't even thjink it woudl be available
I hate Marbella seperated from Barcelona btw
Fed Cup should be after Miami

Mateo Mathieu
Jul 15th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Marbella, Barcelona, Fes and Estoril are close to each other and WTA screwed this up :weirdo:

But wow, this looks a lot few Premier tournaments compared to 10 years ago :o

HOS
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:38 AM
thanks again for sneindg trhough the calender
I agree so much Alex- why woudl they f up the iberian/Fes part when they worked so well togther

For years now I have a couple of pet hates regardingt eh calender- I am even more annoyed since the 'supposed' streamlining of events.

I appreciate I have no idea of the 'pull' events have or how difficult it may be for towns too move events, even if it is for a week. (as in will the site be used for something esle the following week) I also dont have knowledge of things like public holidays, school holidays and the impact they have on events. Also appreciate the calender has is impacted by the ATP tour.
Having said all of that I hate these things soooo much;

1. The break between Wimby and RG has to be 1 week (AT LEAST!!!) more.
I can appreciate both evenst and tennis federations thinking they are too important to move but man it woudl make so much more sense
Botht he ATP and WTA have the events already and I reckon some new evenst coudl appear anyways
In regards to Budapest and Bastaad on the WTA- they could easily slot into another part of the calender

2. I hate the PAris inddors in Feb. Why woudl you sned players there in the freezing weather? and ther eis no other event in Europe aron then. it completely contracdicts the whole Road to 2010.
Againm I don;t know the lkigistics but if Paris want an indoor event, play it the week before Moscow- week of 10 Oct Makes perfect sense You woudl then move Osaka to week before Tokyo (haey- how about make it easy to the players and have evenst int eh same contry, noit far apart for 2 weeks in a row!!!!!!) Guangzhou goes to 12 Spet, move Quebec City

3. I hate 3 events in a row. Poor old South America has 3 WTA events, so don't make it even harder by having 3 events in the 1 week.

4. F'ing up the Iberian/Fes schedule is stupid. Again, for the players sake, keep events closer

5. Poor Greeen clay in USA. WTA killed it. To help Charlie- i woudl ahve thought they should incorporate it into the 'greater red clay Euro' season and have fed cup the week after Miami and then have Charlie (by itself) I guess you could change acapulco and bogata and have them after Miami too to make it a USA/Central USa/Sth America season but maybe too big a chnage and also too harde to move bc Acapulco is a mens event too

6. Canadian's? Does Quevec City have an option to be played outdoors in Sumemr? Does it have the facilities? agian, I love this event and lovee the city too having been there and think the week after the us open is better than where it was but if it coudl be played outdoors in the us summer, the chances are it would be able to get a better field

7. WTF is Copenhagen doing in the grass court season? Will it be indoors? If so, the road map is the biggest peiuce of sh.t of all time. Clay woudl be acceptable but to have an indoor event woudl make an absolutee mocklery of the WTA's roadmap.

8. Again, when the roadmap is supposed to promote an easier passage for players- why owuld you have KL and Pattaya City seperated considering they are both in SE Asia? Again, makes raodmap lose credability

9. With Kim & Justine back, and Yanina in Top 20, surprised Belguim hasn;t tried to buy back an event. Clay or indoors, eitherr way?? Thought they may and try and get the besieged Warsaw, perfect time to come into the calender the week before a salm, Warsaw hasd poor poor crowds, a really bad surface and a f\pretty bad field, esp highlighted by to Radwanska. Serbia also 'promised' or 'threatened' to get an event due to the Jelena and Ana facter but nothing happened. They were going toi buy Linz but linz resisted b'c it wanted to showcase tennis as part of its build up to the world fair i though?

10. Still not convinced about Indian Wells taking up 2 weeks, coudl bring the whole calender forward 1 week- (maybe opening up the 3rd week bt Wimby and RG) they coudl make it a 9 day event andreduce the draw to 56 or 48 even. Event could start on a Saturday or Sunday and finish following Monday week even- given miami starts Wednesday?

11. Try and infulence the ITF with the scheduling of there events. againm there calender should complimet the WTA and make it easier for players to get around and also not hurt the WTA events that week. I don;t think a $100K challenger should complete with an INternational- esp in the same region. Let alone a $100K, $75K, $50K, multi $25 K's along with regular WTA events in 1 week. Even worse is wehnt here surfaces chnage and 2 weeks later there are no ITF's in region

12. i hate memphis's date. Again, road map, shhhhmap- just crap it being by itself. Mayeb Q City coudl move the week before or after or the big $100K Midland challenger could try and get an event status. This woudl make the 3 events in one week hard to manage though. I guet it is connected to the ATP and the ATOP has San jose around then so it is harder to fix

13. more a ?, I think I read Acapulco was going hardcourt....is that coinfirmed?

14. Why did ROma and madrid chnge weeks?

15. Why did Stuttgart go a week early? Read something but can't remember reasoning?

16. Why woudl you ahve a Premier 5 (Dubai) with 2 internationals. Bad for all. 3 tournies in a week should be banned (I know broken record)

17. Stanford and Washington competing with each other is such a bad idea. DC should be week before, use it like a lead up to the big US Summer events like Cincy was before it moved into a Premier- maybe shed issues with ATP- but surley they coudl streamline)

18. Bali and Fed Cup final - no good together- FLavia''s situ last year a perfect eg of why it is bad news

19. As per 18, maybe bring back EOY top 16??? Say top 10 from chase, 1 wc and 5 top INternational event winners? i dunno??

Anyway, for what is worth, here is the ideal calender taking all the above into consideration, (without being too dramatic!):
(You could have heaps of variations to this, with only a few small simple changes, which i won;t write out, which would also have a massive benifit and improve the calender)

Bris-vegas/Auckland
Syd/Hobart
OZ Open
Oz Open week 2
Fed Cup 1
Pattaya City/Memphis
KL/Bogata
Dubai/Acapulco
Doha/Monterrey
Indian Wells (although it could be 1 week or a 9 day event taking only 1 week of the calender up., I'll keep it as a 2 week event here)
IW week 2
Miami
Miami 2
Fed Cup 2
Charleston (* ideally, CHarlie woudl back to back with another green clay court event & be a week later) & Fes
Estoril* (potentially change it with Fes, or Int. Spainish events to coorinate with Esp Internatiol)
Stuttgart/Marbella
Madrid
Roma/Barcelona
Warsaw (or Antwerp if Warsaw outta cash, friends, clay that you don't slip on) Strasbourg
RG
RG week 2
S'hergenbocsh**
Eastbourne**
Birmingham (try and do what ATP do and have a big grass event the week before a slam & then let top players 'practice in London' but don;t care if it is Birm and then Eastbourne like it is now)
Wimby 1
Wimby 2
Budapest/Bastad(** or have these two events back to back after Wimby, so S'h and Bastad, Eastbourne, Budapest)
Palermo/Quebec City (if it can be helf outdoors)
Bad G/Washington
Stanford/Portoroz
San D / Copenhagen$$$$
Ciny
Canada (What happened to the Canada ATP/WTA issue and wanting to play on same week??)
New Haven
US Open 1
US 2
Tashkent/Guangzhou
Seoul/Osaka
Tokyo
Beijing
Paris/Linz
Moscow/Luxembourg
Istanbul/Bali
Fed Cup 3

$$$$I dunnnno what to do with Copenhagen.
I don't know what other choices they have other than indoor??
If outdoor on hard, then have it same week as San D
If clay- maybe after Wimby week on week after Bastad & move Palermo downa week, then Bad G down a week
uif it has to be indoor, then at the EOY maybe. Swap Beijing and Tokyo and have it the same week ad Tokyo
If you did this, you could also swap Guangzhou and Osaka

tommyk75
Jul 15th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Your tour makes much more sense and flows a lot more naturally than the WTA's plan.

P.S. I think I read that Washington D.C. event has (already) been moved to Maryland.

Petkorazzi
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM
YEC in Istanbul :bigcry: I would go for sure but YEC is usually wayy to expensive for the SHITTY matches we've been getting the last 3-4 years. YEC never been the same after Madrid. :shrug:

Singleniacki
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM
HOS, youre calender makes a lot more sense :yeah:

I definately agree about the short space of time between wimbly and RG. Need at least 1 more week with the option of playing a grass court tournament.

TennisFan66
Jul 15th, 2010, 09:53 AM
There is a lot more to setting up a WTA event than just typing on a key board. Folks should bear this in mind, when they castigate the road map and moan about this and that tournament.

spiceboy
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I hate Marbella seperated from Barcelona btw

Marbella, Barcelona, Fes and Estoril are close to each other and WTA screwed this up :weirdo:

4. F'ing up the Iberian/Fes schedule is stupid. Again, for the players sake, keep events closer

Cut the drama, guys :lol:

Barcelona and Madrid are now back to back and FYI this the world's busiest passenger air route :p

KournikovaFan91
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I thought Dublin-London was the world's busiest passenger route :lol: Maybe not anymore.

1 - I dunno why people don't like the clay season, I find it the most concise season on the tour.

2 - The Wimbledon issue will never be changed, Wimbledon is too hung up about tradition to change their dates.

3 - The WTA need more 3 tournament weeks like the ATP have, although I know this is an issue because of sponsorship and stuff. But I think the 3 tournaments a week work well for the ATP.

4 - Kuala Lumpur should be week one imo along side Brisbane and Auckland, ATP have three tournaments week one so all players can get into MDs and get going since it is the start of the year. Also Kuala Lumpur is en route to Australia for the Europeans.

5 - Copenhagen being in Grass Season isn't unusual, previously Barcelona (clay) and Tashkent (hard) were that week, it is bad for the tournaments but for some reason the WTA like non Grass events that week.

6 - Paris isn't that random, a lot of players return to Europe after Australian since they are based here and have also played Fed Cup here the week before. Flying from Paris to Dubai is not really that difficult or inconvenient.

The main issue is sponsorship and attendances at tournaments especially in this economic climate.

dsanders06
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM
2 - The Wimbledon issue will never be changed, Wimbledon is too hung up about tradition to change their dates..

Wimbledon isn't actually the problem, it's actually the ATP Newport tournament that refuses to move (and it holds considerable sway because of it's coinciding Hall of Fame ceremony). Really, it would be an ideal situation if Newport moved to the week after the FO and maybe a new WTA grass tournament that week too (imo the Nottingham ITF event could be upgraded), and then there could be a 3-week gap between RG and Wimbledon.

Anyway, the main thing that's annoying about the current WTA calendar is how messy it gets both in February and in Sept/Oct with random strings of European indoors and Asian outdoor events tangled up both times. Like I said in another thread the other day, I think there should be one block of Euro indoors events in Feb and one block of Asian outdoors in Sept/Oct. I like your idea of moving Kuala Lumpur to Week 1 as well actually.

This is what I'd propose for the calendar, with Premier events in green and 8 Premier Mandatory events in green + bold:

3 Jan: Brisbane (hard), Auckland (hard), Kuala Lumpur (hard)
10 Jan: Sydney (hard), Hobart (hard)
AUSTRALIAN OPEN
31 Jan: Fed Cup I
7 Feb: Linz (indoor hard), Copenhagen (indoor hard)
14 Feb: Moscow (indoor hard), Quebec City (indoor hard), Bogata (clay)
21 Feb: Paris (indoor hard), Memphis (indoor hard), Acapulco (clay)
28 Feb: Antwerp (indoor hard), Monterrey (hard)
7/14 Mar: Indian Wells (hard)
21/28 Mar: Miami (hard)
4 Apr: Charleston (green clay), Fes (clay)
11 Apr: Fed Cup II
18 Apr: Stuttgart (indoor clay), Marbella (clay)
25 Apr: Madrid (clay)
2 May: Berlin (clay), Estoril (clay)
9 May: Rome (clay)
16 May: Strasbourg (clay), Warsaw (clay)
FRENCH OPEN
6 Jun: Nottingham (grass), Palermo (clay)
13 Jun: Birmingham (grass), Bad Gastein (clay)
20 Jun: Eastbourne (grass), 's-Hertogenbosch (grass)
WIMBLEDON
11 Jul: Bastad (clay), Portoroz (hard)
18 Jul: Budapest (clay), Barcelona (clay), Athens (hard)
25 Jul: Stanford (hard), Washington DC (hard)
1 Aug: San Diego (hard), Los Angeles (hard)
8 Aug: Toronto (hard)
15 Aug: Cincinnati (hard)
22 Aug: New Haven (hard)
US OPEN
12 Sept: Osaka (hard), Guangzhou (hard)
19 Sept: Tokyo (hard) , Seoul (hard)
26 Sept: Beijing (hard)
3 Oct: Tashkent (hard)
10 Oct: Dubai (hard)
17 Oct: Doha (hard), Pattaya City (hard)
24 Oct: Bali (indoor hard)
31 Oct: WTA Championships: Istanbul (indoor hard)
24 Oct/31 Oct/7 Nov: Fed Cup final (date dependant on competing players' participation in Bali and/or Istanbul)

spiceboy
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I thought Dublin-London was the world's busiest passenger route :lol: Maybe not anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_busiest_passenger_air_routes

KournikovaFan91
Jul 15th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah we lost that title :sobbing:

3 Jan: Brisbane (hard), Auckland (hard), Kuala Lumpur (hard)
10 Jan: Sydney (hard), Hobart (hard)
AUSTRALIAN OPEN
31 Jan: Fed Cup I
7 Feb: Linz (indoor hard), Copenhagen (indoor hard)
14 Feb: Moscow (indoor hard), Quebec City (indoor hard), Bogata (clay)
21 Feb: Paris (indoor hard), Memphis (indoor hard), Acapulco (clay)
28 Feb: Antwerp (indoor hard), Monterrey (hard)
7/14 Mar: Indian Wells (hard)
21/28 Mar: Miami (hard)
4 Apr: Charleston (green clay), Fes (clay)
11 Apr: Fed Cup II
18 Apr: Stuttgart (indoor clay), Marbella (clay)
25 Apr: Madrid (clay)
2 May: Berlin (clay), Estoril (clay)
9 May: Rome (clay)
16 May: Strasbourg (clay), Warsaw (clay)
FRENCH OPEN
6 Jun: Nottingham (grass), Palermo (clay)
13 Jun: Birmingham (grass), Bad Gastein (clay)
20 Jun: Eastbourne (grass), 's-Hertogenbosch (grass)
WIMBLEDON
11 Jul: Bastad (clay), Portoroz (hard)
18 Jul: Budapest (clay), Barcelona (clay), Athens (hard)
25 Jul: Stanford (hard), Washington DC (hard)
1 Aug: San Diego (hard), Los Angeles (hard)
8 Aug: Toronto (hard)
15 Aug: Cincinnati (hard)
22 Aug: New Haven (hard)
US OPEN
12 Sept: Osaka (hard), Guangzhou (hard)
19 Sept: Tokyo (hard) , Seoul (hard)
26 Sept: Beijing (hard)
3 Oct: Tashkent (hard)
10 Oct: Dubai (hard)
17 Oct: Doha (hard), Pattaya City (hard)
24 Oct: Bali (indoor hard)
31 Oct: WTA Championships: Istanbul (indoor hard)
7 Nov: Fed Cup final

I like this calendar although I think its unlikely the WTA would ever be this sensible.

I like your post Australian Open season and the fact after USOPEN is completely an Asian season. The climate of Dubai and Doha would actually suit October for their tournaments anyway.

I like Hard MMs post Wimbledon, I am fed up of these current clay tournies.

Helen Lawson
Jul 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm at Amelia Island this week for work, did have a tear in my eye passing the entrance to the Plantation's center court, I saw a lot of players and matches there. Should I lay a wreath when I leave?