PDA

View Full Version : Should WTA needs to start to use "VIP" mark instead "WC" for former #1&GS champs?

Cp6uja
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:17 PM
It's really annoying and disrespectful to see some big names of this game, which sells tickets and push on higher level every event which they entry - in same group with some protected local girls (losers?) :shrug: and that is never happen so often like in current era of womens tennis. So WC Clijsters won last US Open, WC Henin reach final at last Australian Open (even International level event in Stuttgart where she reach title Justine must to play with that disrespectful "WC" remark). When great Martina Hingis come back in 2006 she must to play like WC Hingis, and before AO/2007 where she reach title like #81 ranked Serena XXI-GOAT Williams must to play like WC several 2006 WTA events!? Maria Sharapova WTA superstar with global celebrity status was arguable by far biggest name and star at last seasons Warsaw Open, but thanks to temporary rankings problems which she has in that time there is also that annoying WC part right to her name... etc... etc... (there is for sure some other examples). So do You think this confusion about participation of WTA biggest stars (former #1 & slam champs) should be ended and theirs commitments when they is in some temporary bad ranking problem should be presented on different way (not like for all others Wild Cards)?

Here is some GS Entry Lists examples (at smaller events it looks even more ridiculous) from near past how that should looks in future:

Australian Open 2006:
WC Martina Hingis
VIP Martina Hingis
WC Lauren Breadmore
WC Sophie Ferguson...etc...

US Open 2006:
WC Serena Williams
VIP Serena Williams
WC Jessica Kirkland
WC Laurin Albanese
WC Alexa Glatch...etc...

US Open 2009:
WC Kim Clijsters
VIP Kim Clijsters
WC Mallory Cecil
WC Gail Brodsky
WC Christina McHale...etc...

Australian Open 2010:
WC Justine Henin
VIP Justine Henin
WC Stephanie Cohen-Aloro
WC Coco Vandeweghe...etc...

Do You agree?

дalex
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:22 PM
It's really annoying and disrespectful to see some big names of this game, which sells tickets and push on higher level every event which they entry - in same group with some protected local girls (losers?) :shrug: and that is never happen so often like in current era of womens tennis.

Ana is a LOSER now. Get OVA it!

Management!

hdfb
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:22 PM
It's a tennis tournament, not a red carpet.

Cp6uja
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Ana is a LOSER now. Get OVA it!

Management!Ana Jovanovic and her WC's has nothing with this thread :scratch:

дalex
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Ana Jovanovic and her WC's has nothing with this thread :scratch:

I was talking about VIPANA. :lol:

twight6
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I don't think it really matters :shrug: We'll all still know it means the same thing: their ranking isn't high enough.

WC or VIP will both = not ranked high enough

If you start calling it something different, you run into the problem of how many. Right now, there's a set number of WCs per tournament. So, if one of those turns into a VIP, do you add in another WC? So if Hingis makes a comeback at the 2010 US Open as a VIP, does another "loser" (as you put it) get put into the draw? So, if that happens, then who gets taken out of the draw, someone who is actually ranked high enough to play there?

And, do you automatically give former champs and number ones VIP entries? In my opinion, if someone like Ivanovic falls below the cut off and can't get into the tournament, she shouldn't automatically get a WC into a tournament. The situation with Henin, Clijsters, Hingis, even Navratilova when she returned a few years ago was that they were former champions making a comeback. The WC was supposed to help them out, and also give them a deserved spot in the main draw. But if someone like Ivanovic, who has had a complete collapse, can't even get into the main draw because she's playing like absolute shit, why should she get a WC or "VIP"? The same could be said of Kuznetsova, or Safina, etc. In other words, my point here is... Once you call it something different and set former champions apart from the "losers," it's expected that they will always get that special treatment. Where does it stop? Someone like Henin deserves a WC over any youngster or home player, but someone like Safina doesn't, the way she's playing now.

ajmo!
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:07 PM

:worship:

KournikovaFan91
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I think that would be a bad idea, it creates elitism in the draw :o

Slutati
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM
God Cp6uja you are even a bigger mess than Ana's game.

Cp6uja
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:17 PM
:worship:Lucic fan... I think You not realize all benefits of my OP suggestion. For example former ITF-JUNIORS#1 and JUNIORS GS-winners at ITF Challengers also should to have VIP remark instead WC.

JJ's biatch
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I was talking about VIPANA. :lol:

:rolls:

Wiggly
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:35 PM
If Ana was a top 10, you wouldn't even open these threads.

Some "local girls (losers?)" are playing at an higher level than former-GS winner/poor results in Berlin & Rome/brunette with a good forehand Ana Ivanovic.

Nefertiti
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:37 PM
No.

mapaliey
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:44 PM
ana ivanovic will needs that VIP soon enough or she'll retired...L.O.L

Direwolf
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Maybe you need to write it to them??

why dont you give it a try...
they would appreciate suggestion

дalex
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Maybe you need to write it to them??

why dont you give it a try...
they would appreciate suggestion

Dear WTA,

You should needs to start to use "VIP" mark instead "WC" for former #1&GS champs.

OVA.
Cp6uja

Loungy
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Dear WTA,

You should needs to start to use "VIP" mark instead "WC" for former #1&GS champs.

OVA.
Cp6uja
On a Hello Kitty stationery :hysteric:

Sp!ffy
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
What would be the purpose? Tennis is not about the past, its always about the present. Former accomplishments, former results, etc. do not matter in this sport of tennis. If a player doesnt qualify, no matter what theyve done in their career, they are a WC..simple as that.

дalex
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:16 PM

:haha:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mIrSQQARGzNQ6M:http://www.familyshoppingbag.com/images/full/Hello_Kitty_Gardening_382528.gif

faboozadoo15
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Who gives a rats ass?

A lot of the times a local talent can have more game than a washed up hasbeen. Why does there need to be a distinction?

WC's are at a tournament's discretion anyway. Players, be they local talents or returning from injury or getting into the tournament after deadlines, should be thankful enough to get them.

I doubt they care if there's a WC next to their name in the draw.

Cp6uja
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:31 PM
What would be the purpose? Tennis is not about the past, its always about the present. Former accomplishments, former results, etc. do not matter in this sport of tennis. If a player doesnt qualify, no matter what theyve done in their career, they are a WC..simple as that.Actually thanks to every weeks updated rankings and draw system tennis is sport where players "past" has biggest influence on his/her current status. BTW this "VIP" should be just new remark for special Wild Cards, like "LL" instead "Q" is just different remark for some players who coming from Qual. draw. In general VIP will have same pre-draw status like any other unseeded player (including WC, Q or LL).

Dear WTA,

OVA.
Cp6ujaIt's sad to see how many self-proclaimed die-hard JJ fans deeply in theirs hart already gave-up about possibility that she will ever reach that damn major title :weirdo:

I doubt they care if there's a WC next to their name in the draw.Because they thinking WC means World Champion :shrug:

LUVMIRZA
Jul 14th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Actually thanks to every weeks updated rankings and draw system tennis is sport where players "past" has biggest influence on his/her current status. BTW this "VIP" should be just new remark for special Wild Cards, like "LL" instead "Q" is just different remark for some players who coming from Qual. draw. In general VIP will have same pre-draw status like any other unseeded player (including WC, Q or LL).

It's sad to see how many self-proclaimed die-hard JJ fans deeply in theirs hart already gave-up about possibility that she will ever reach that damn major title :weirdo:

Because they thinking WC means World Champion :shrug:

:haha: u really are campaigning for the next year TWAT title;)

Sp!ffy
Jul 14th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Actually thanks to every weeks updated rankings and draw system tennis is sport where players "past" has biggest influence on his/her current status. BTW this "VIP" should be just new remark for special Wild Cards, like "LL" instead "Q" is just different remark for some players who coming from Qual. draw. In general VIP will have same pre-draw status like any other unseeded player (including WC, Q or LL).

I understand that. But you were talking about past as in multiple years past. If rankings told everything about a player's career then Graf would still be in the top 5.

OsloErik
Jul 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
If your ranking isn't high enough or you request entry late, you are a wildcard. Because you weren't initially expected to make the tournament. Nit-picking about semantics is stupid in this situation because nobody cares.

The Dawntreader
Jul 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM
If your ranking isn't high enough or you request entry late, you are a wildcard. Because you weren't initially expected to make the tournament. Nit-picking about semantics is stupid in this situation because nobody cares.

A thousand times this.

Noone is tarnishing or dismissing the status of WC'd top players. It's just the system :shrug:

Sammo
Jul 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Definately sounds stupid

Brena
Jul 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
:sobbing:
VIP RenaSlam was such an undeserving winner today. :awww:

Corswandt
Jul 14th, 2010, 09:28 PM
God Cp6uja you are even a bigger mess than Ana's game.

It had to be said.

MB.
Jul 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM
This is the worst idea I ever heard.

MaBaker
Jul 14th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Dear WTA,

OVA.
Cp6uja

Get a grip Cp6uja.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 14th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Or they could start a VIP-only tournament, and only invite Ana.

twight6
Jul 14th, 2010, 09:47 PM

and cp6uja would be the only spectator in the crowd :sobbing:

égalité
Jul 15th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Peaking after you lost in TWAT :tears:

Why would these players care what letters are next to their name in the draw? :help: Ana should get a VIP, though: very inept player :spit:

Jajaloo
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:28 AM

dsanders06
Jul 15th, 2010, 02:19 AM
LMAO. You just need to know this is going to be the new "jealous and discriminatory volleys". I can just see it now:

"WWW Stanford R1: [6] Zvonareva v [VIP] Ivanovic"

The 2nd Law
Jul 15th, 2010, 02:36 AM
You really are an embarassment, Cp6uja :o

Bruno71
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:01 AM
It's sad to see how many self-proclaimed die-hard JJ fans deeply in theirs hart already gave-up about possibility that she will ever reach that damn major title :weirdo:

And another thing...self-proclaimed die-hard JJ fans SMELL BAD.

Loungy
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:03 AM
That's enough, leave Cp6uja alone :hysteric: :hug:

Nikkiri
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:48 AM

This.

Uranium
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Ugh Cp6uja, you create this after you already lost in TWAT:(

дalex
Jul 15th, 2010, 07:02 AM

This.

Oh come on. Cpbuja is the best Ana fan out there, IMO (Bruno being close second). :lol:

Halepsova
Jul 15th, 2010, 11:37 AM
It's so pointless. :rolleyes: The next thing you will urge WTA to put Ana in the top of the entry list ahead of Sabine Lisicki just because she was a slam winner. :o

The 2nd Law
Jul 15th, 2010, 12:50 PM

This.

Oh come on. Cpbuja is the best Ana fan out there, IMO (Bruno being close second). :lol:

:lol: I adore his/her undying dedication to defending Ana's reputation as the undisputed GOAT, I really do, but it's no wonder everyone else here picks on her so much :lol:
Come and visit Anapolis and you'll see that the majority of her fans are far from being so deluded. Nothing personal, Cp6uja :wavey:

Deck
Jul 15th, 2010, 12:56 PM
VIP-Ana:hearts:

Brena
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Peaking after you lost in TWAT :tears:

Why would these players care what letters are next to their name in the draw? :help: Ana should get a VIP, though: very inept player :spit:

I thought it stood for Very Important Princess.
Although, I'd personally use BYE next to Anci's name: Baby You'll Eliminate

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:19 PM
LMAO. You just need to know this is going to be the new "jealous and discriminatory volleys". I can just see it now:

"WWW Stanford R1: [6] Zvonareva v [VIP] Ivanovic"

:lol:

That's great! How about Really Important Person? [RIP]

GreenGrass
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:06 PM
are u serious? :lol:
:weirdo:

WhoAmI?
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM

:rolls:

Bruno71
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM

That's BabyVIP You'll Emulate, Jecatard :mad:

Illusionist
Jul 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Vip is stupid. Perhaps to start using SE for them, too?
But it's just the way things are. WC is because they didn't play well and couldn't get into the draw by ranks or because they didn't apply on time.

égalité
Jul 16th, 2010, 12:03 AM

Baby Anci would still find a way to lose this tournament. :spit:

miffedmax
Jul 16th, 2010, 12:53 AM
It's really annoying and disrespectful to see some big names of this game, which sells tickets and push on higher level every event which they entry - in same group with some protected local girls (losers?) :shrug: and that is never happen so often like in current era of womens tennis. So WC Clijsters won last US Open, WC Henin reach final at last Australian Open (even International level event in Stuttgart where she reach title Justine must to play with that disrespectful "WC" remark). When great Martina Hingis come back in 2006 she must to play like WC Hingis, and before AO/2007 where she reach title like #81 ranked Serena XXI-GOAT Williams must to play like WC several 2006 WTA events!? Maria Sharapova WTA superstar with global celebrity status was arguable by far biggest name and star at last seasons Warsaw Open, but thanks to temporary rankings problems which she has in that time there is also that annoying WC part right to her name... etc... etc... (there is for sure some other examples). So do You think this confusion about participation of WTA biggest stars (former #1 & slam champs) should be ended and theirs commitments when they is in some temporary bad ranking problem should be presented on different way (not like for all others Wild Cards)?

Here is some GS Entry Lists examples (at smaller events it looks even more ridiculous) from near past how that should looks in future:

Australian Open 2006:
WC Martina Hingis
VIP Martina Hingis
WC Lauren Breadmore
WC Sophie Ferguson...etc...

US Open 2006:
WC Serena Williams
VIP Serena Williams
WC Jessica Kirkland
WC Laurin Albanese
HSWBBBTBBSOOMMFP* Alexa Glatch...etc...

US Open 2009:
WC Kim Clijsters
VIP Kim Clijsters
WC Mallory Cecil
WC Gail Brodsky
WC Christina McHale...etc...

Australian Open 2010:
WC Justine Henin
VIP Justine Henin
WC Stephanie Cohen-Aloro
WC Coco Vandeweghe...etc...

Do You agree?

*Holy Shit We Best Bowdown Before This Bitch Because She's One Of Miffed Max's Favorite Players

danieln1
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:11 AM
It´s not a totally crazy idea...

But Ivanovic is not even on the WC list for slams... but at every premier event she´s going to get a VIP WC! :haha: :haha:

VIP Ana was in 2008, unfortunately... but it would be great if they gave a VIP to the glamour girl, and a WC to a local girl who will lose in first round 6-0 6-3

Nicolás89
Jul 16th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I missed the part when you say Ana is gonna win the US Open series cause she's born in November. :confused:

Carotastrophe
Jul 16th, 2010, 06:30 AM
:comfused:

Princeza
Jul 16th, 2010, 06:47 AM
You're all so rude to Cp6uja.
http://blog.nj.com/realtimesports_impact/2009/06/medium_ana-ivanovic-wimbledon-629.jpg

Corswandt
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Sort of ironic that it was Cp6uja himself who started the thread that a horde of disgruntled Jecatards have effectively turned into a shooting range/schadenfreude @ VIP Ivanovic's predicament thread.

Serves him right I suppose. :devil:

Bruno71
Jul 16th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Sort of ironic that it was Cp6uja himself who started the thread that a horde of disgruntled Jecatards have effectively turned into a shooting range/schadenfreude @ VIP Ivanovic's predicament thread.

Serves him right I suppose. :devil:

Leave it to you to kill the fun :sad:

Sammo
Jul 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM
The thread itself doesn't make any sense ¬¬

The Witch-king
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
:lol:

That's great! How about Really Important Person? [RIP]

i'm crying

Ferg
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:13 PM
:hysteric:

terjw
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
I thought this thread was intended as a wind up - but I see the OP was serious.:tape:

Adrian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
No :rolleyes:

Adrian.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM

:haha::haha::haha:

Stamp Paid
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
I love the OP.
Fuck these hatas! Keep fighting for your girl :lol::lol:

tievae
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
:hysteric: This thread is just :hysteric:.

Bismarck.
Oct 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Dear WTA,

OVA.
Cp6uja

:hysteric::hysteric::hysteric:

GAGAlady
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
Dear WTA,

OVA.
Cp6uja

I know!

VIP is elitist and sounds ridiculous. WC is perfectly good name for someone who isnt ranked high enough to make the cut.

Ana Ivanovic has had many many chances to improve her game and her ranking and its not the WTA tours responsibility to help her get there. Its her own responsibility. Why should they help her out and give her preference over some other girl?

Shes won in the past but that doesnt give her the right to expect anything special if her ranking is where it is. Ana knows this and so does the other girls who have been #1 and then have had to come back. Thats how the game works and thats the fairest system out.

Nobody should be getting handouts...its called results...make it and you will get in, dont and well...tough luck.:kiss:

miffedmax
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Bumping this thread is just mean.

Hilarious, but mean.

terjw
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Dear WTA,

OVA.
Cp6uja

:lol::lol: Just thought of another letter - this time from VIP herself:

Dear WTA,

Hi there.

This is Ana. I am applying for a WC at this year's WTA Chamionships at Doha for the 8th spot. As a VIP and former #1 and slam winner and playing even better than when I won my slam - I am very exciting to be playing there and I am sure it will be granted. Not like those lying jerks in Montreal.

Luv and kisses,
VIP Ana

PS I would be even more exciting if to bump JJ out with my WC after she mocked me with her fistpump.

AdeyC
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
If the great Martina Navratilova was content enough to take 'WC's' to Eastbourne and Wimbledon - Ivanovic should be content too

stangtennis
Oct 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
VIP only practice:
DK80aJE7Sxk

DragonFlame
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
Dear WTA,

OVA.
Cp6uja

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mIrSQQARGzNQ6M:http://www.familyshoppingbag.com/images/full/Hello_Kitty_Gardening_382528.gif

aaaaah im crying. :spit:

goldlion
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:29 PM
VIP only means 'Right you were No.1 but you suck now' and we're sympathetic about you so WC is given.

networthy
Oct 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
I think this is actually a good idea. "Wild cards" refer to low-probability, high-impact events. Henin or Clijsters doing well in their first few tournaments back from retirement is the opposite of that: high-probability, low-impact. They should be called something else.

Cp6uja
Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:48 PM
I thought this thread was intended as a wind up - but I see the OP was serious.:tape:This thread is opened only with intention to give another chance to so many posters here which don't knows too much about tennis (or sport in general) and also have zero sense of humor, to make once again fool of thyself... :shrug: ...but on other hand You are actually right... despite obvious sarcasm (I not count people with zero humor sense) there is still something really serious in that OP. It's subject - how should to be treatment on tour for big names of game when they is in troubles, or trying to comeback after long pause (no matter about reasons), and this subject can be related to any other sport.

Maybe I'm been too much defensive in middle of July when so many "experts" here start to talking (right after RG & Wimbledon combined disaster) how Ana Ivanovic should to give up and retire and start to complain why couple tournaments in the row give her WC's this summer... and even start to call her WC whore, and claim that she should to play only MM (and even challengers) due hers current ranking (she drop from TOP50 in that time), no matter what she do in near past in tennis (which also speak about her abilities) and what she do for WTA tour promotion and popularity like one of most popular tours stars. Last year Sharapova is out of TOP50 on couple weeks, last month or two ago Ivanovic, now Dinara Safina (or to mentioned comeback cases of two Belgians or Hingis after big pauses).

I'm proud that just week after I open this thread we have famous case about Montreal Rogers Cup and Ana Ivanovic Wild Card affair, and week or two after that one very ugly episode with Serena Williams and one pathetic ATP event (L.A.) where we also see unacceptable and disrespectful treatment for one WTA star. That means that I start discussion about right thing in right time, and it's not my problem why for example (when discussion about this become serious during Rogers Cup WC case) so many members of this forum (including several moderators) have totally wrong perception what (former) big names with great previous career or/and big star-power means for this game (or any other sport). I intentionally mentioned TF moderators here because in next couple weeks (before Ivanovic start to shows some signs of life in Cincinnati and USO) they tendencially start to promote VIP in every title related to Ivanovic, and unlike whole (real) tennis world this forum administration is so deeply on Rogers Cup tournament director side in whole that case, even when that tournament director himself realize how big mistake he doing when his tournament become first ever in history which reject WC request of some former #1 player (which is also former champion of that event).

I opened this thread, and now, 10 weeks later I send here my first serious post (after sarcastic OP and couple ironic answers later), and like I say, I'm proud for opening this, no matter whats latter happen with this VIP remark on TF (thanks to TF officials I must say once again) and how they been used (at least they replace much more disgusting "RIP" used previously in Ivanovic slump case). And I always here insist on some (at least) minimum respect which big WTA names deserve to have, not only in Ana Ivanovic case. In past I'm been one of loudest here in protest how WTA decide to finish Martina Hingis career humiliate her with that giant suspension like she is biggest cheater in womens tennis history, how French tennis federation badly handled Beijing Olympic case with theirs biggest Open Era star Amelie Mauresmo, or Australians in Jelena Dokic AO/08 WC case... or that WTA MUST to give 2009 USO champion Wild Card for YEC/09, and only time when I banned from this forum (for no reason of course) is when I defending Serena Williams contra-reaction here against ATP L.A. tournament organizers which been very disrespectful to her and make happy several trolls and spammers from this forum, which force me for some reaction, but mods once again support wrong side her... like this is forum AGAINST WTA stars, instead ABOUT WTA stars :confused:

:wavey:

*JR*
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:09 AM
The problem isn't Belgrade Babe, who has a Slam title and was #1. It would have been "Anna with 2 n's not one", meaning Kournikova. (Who was hugely talented in the 90s, like her beating 4 Top 10's in Miami, but many gifted athletes are have injuries that are career limiting or ending). Or a "Darling Carling" Bassett in the 80s, or the next such sensation to come along but then flame out.

Though given the Gold Exempt list and other gimmicks like that (past, present, and future) a "sensation" will always get into MD's anyway, except for a limited field like the YEC. Jon Wertheim wrote (accurately) that a consideration in going from a draw of 16 to 8 for the YEC starting in '03 was that Anna K probably wouldn't make the Top 16 that year, so they weren't giving up on her presence.

But she was still on the Gold Exempt list, based on marquee value and a former year end Top 10 ranking (from I think 1998) so had she not defacto retired after her awful AO, Anna could have used the GE status to enter any MD she wanted. Peppermint Patty (who'd won Tier I Zurich in '02 but didn't get GE status) had a great line in a letter she sent Larry Scott's predecessor Kevin Wulff when the list came out: "If Anna Kournikova has a Gold Exempt, why doesn't Donald Duck?" :tape:

goldenlox
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:19 AM
Anna had enough game to handle Patty. Maybe Patty should play the guy in the duck suit at Disneyworld

thetennisutopian
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:27 AM
The stigma behind the acronym of "VIP" alone is reason not to use it. It creates a superiority complex. (Who's poppin bottles at the VIP section, huh? Why am I not there? ... cause you're not important ... oh.)

It's already been stated that WC already stands for VIP. If you look at it this way... in America Ashley Harkleroad is VIP, she's an American. That's who the crowd is going to cheer for. Who's to say that what Beatrice Capra did (having to play an entirely different tournament just to get into the US Open) isn't "VIP" worthy? Fact of the matter is, any qualifier is VIP... they already played matches to get there. They were worthy enough of being there. If Ivanovic, Safina, Hingis, Clijsters, Date Krumm, Han Xinyun and Brie Whitehead get WC's ... it's because they're worthy of being there. Simply put.

Droolv
Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:30 AM
:hysteric:

Cp6uja
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:37 AM
The problem isn't Belgrade Babe, who has a Slam title and was #1. It would have been "Anna with 2 n's not one", meaning Kournikova...Kournikova tennis career achievements is pathetic in comparison with so many great players from WTA history (or current), but on other hand she is one of most important persons in tennis history and womens tennis promotion, and her personal case is probably crucial for "Russian Revolution" which is one of most important and most notable things which happen to womens tennis in previous decade. Believe or not, much more parents in Eastern Europe decide "our little princess will try this" watching Kournikova on court and off court couple seasons, than watching GOAT Martina Navratilova for couple decades and her way to American dream :shrug: Like that, or not, but that is true, and Anna Kournikova deserve every WC or any other special treatment which she get from WTA during her short tennis career, because she give back to this sport by far much more! Michael Schumacher, Shaq O'Neal,...etc (in every sport You can find similar cases) is just shadows of theirs previous in competitive meaning, but theirs today's presence in theirs sports is actually very big thing for all this sports because theirs still amazing star-power. So if You ask me - if Anna Kournikova decide today to back on tour, and if her level is not even close to TOP50... I will be first here to call Idiot any tournament director which reject her WC request. Even Kournikova's one or two rounds presence with early defeat will be enough to bring some extra attention on that event or WTA tour in general for sure.

The stigma behind the acronym of "VIP" alone is reason not to use it. It creates a superiority complex. (Who's poppin bottles at the VIP section, huh? Why am I not there? ... cause you're not important ... oh.)

It's already been stated that WC already stands for VIP. If you look at it this way... in America Ashley Harkleroad is VIP, she's an American. That's who the crowd is going to cheer for. Who's to say that what Beatrice Capra did (having to play an entirely different tournament just to get into the US Open) isn't "VIP" worthy? Fact of the matter is, any qualifier is VIP... they already played matches to get there. They were worthy enough of being there. If Ivanovic, Safina, Hingis, Clijsters, Date Krumm, Han Xinyun and Brie Whitehead get WC's ... it's because they're worthy of being there. Simply put.Wild Cards is exclusive and discretion opportunity for tournaments organizers to give chance to compete some player which they want to see there, but who is not enough good ranked for Main Draw (or Q-Draw) direct Entry List. Point of this thread is not that WTA really should OFFICIALLY to have two different types of WC's, but that some unwritten rules about tennis WC's should never be broken by events organizers. Fact is that in same month when I opened this thread we have for the first time in history of tennis case that some tournament reject WC request of some former WTA#1, GS and that event champion. At end of 2009 we also have unacceptable case that 2009 GS champion (which is also already some kind of WTA legend) not get WC to compete at YEC/09 Championship and in beginning of 2009 we have another WTA WC scandal where due to selfishness of Australian Open organizers which insist on theirs WC-distribution formula, they not give WC TOP20 ranked player Yanina Wickmayer which must play qualies and not been seeded at that tournament because that. Any WTA TOP32 player should to have special status at slams (call that VIP if You want) and to have priority for WC if for some reason she is not part of standard Direct Entry procedure (like that's happen with Wickmayer after fake doping affair). This thread is about that (if we speak seriously).

Svetlana)))
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:50 AM
I love you Cp6uja :inlove:

Khelvors
Oct 3rd, 2010, 01:55 AM
so that if a "WC" wins a grand slam, it's not that outlandish? :lol:

i don't think it's necessary.. people know that they used to be great already. the WC is just meant to indicate that the person didn't qualify or whatever, not their level of play

slamchamp
Oct 3rd, 2010, 02:16 AM
Cp6uja is love:hearts:

Corswandt
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
I intentionally mentioned TF moderators here because in next couple weeks (before Ivanovic start to shows some signs of life in Cincinnati and USO) they tendencially start to promote VIP in every title related to Ivanovic, and unlike whole (real) tennis world this forum administration is so deeply on Rogers Cup tournament director side in whole that case, even when that tournament director himself realize how big mistake he doing when his tournament become first ever in history which reject WC request of some former #1 player (which is also former champion of that event).

Graduating into paranoia now.

Cp6uja is like those defendants who insist on representing themselves and, without a lawyer at their side to tell them when to STFU, just shoot their mouths off and make their own cases worse and worse, and are apparently completely unaware of it.

Mods: don't ever ban him. Please.

rockstar
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
This thread is opened only with intention to give another chance to so many posters here which don't knows too much about tennis (or sport in general) and also have zero sense of humor, to make once again fool of thyself... :shrug: ...but on other hand You are actually right... despite obvious sarcasm (I not count people with zero humor sense) there is still something really serious in that OP. It's subject - how should to be treatment on tour for big names of game when they is in troubles, or trying to comeback after long pause (no matter about reasons), and this subject can be related to any other sport.

Maybe I'm been too much defensive in middle of July when so many "experts" here start to talking (right after RG & Wimbledon combined disaster) how Ana Ivanovic should to give up and retire and start to complain why couple tournaments in the row give her WC's this summer... and even start to call her WC whore, and claim that she should to play only MM (and even challengers) due hers current ranking (she drop from TOP50 in that time), no matter what she do in near past in tennis (which also speak about her abilities) and what she do for WTA tour promotion and popularity like one of most popular tours stars. Last year Sharapova is out of TOP50 on couple weeks, last month or two ago Ivanovic, now Dinara Safina (or to mentioned comeback cases of two Belgians or Hingis after big pauses).

I'm proud that just week after I open this thread we have famous case about Montreal Rogers Cup and Ana Ivanovic Wild Card affair, and week or two after that one very ugly episode with Serena Williams and one pathetic ATP event (L.A.) where we also see unacceptable and disrespectful treatment for one WTA star. That means that I start discussion about right thing in right time, and it's not my problem why for example (when discussion about this become serious during Rogers Cup WC case) so many members of this forum (including several moderators) have totally wrong perception what (former) big names with great previous career or/and big star-power means for this game (or any other sport). I intentionally mentioned TF moderators here because in next couple weeks (before Ivanovic start to shows some signs of life in Cincinnati and USO) they tendencially start to promote VIP in every title related to Ivanovic, and unlike whole (real) tennis world this forum administration is so deeply on Rogers Cup tournament director side in whole that case, even when that tournament director himself realize how big mistake he doing when his tournament become first ever in history which reject WC request of some former #1 player (which is also former champion of that event).

I opened this thread, and now, 10 weeks later I send here my first serious post (after sarcastic OP and couple ironic answers later), and like I say, I'm proud for opening this, no matter whats latter happen with this VIP remark on TF (thanks to TF officials I must say once again) and how they been used (at least they replace much more disgusting "RIP" used previously in Ivanovic slump case). And I always here insist on some (at least) minimum respect which big WTA names deserve to have, not only in Ana Ivanovic case. In past I'm been one of loudest here in protest how WTA decide to finish Martina Hingis career humiliate her with that giant suspension like she is biggest cheater in womens tennis history, how French tennis federation badly handled Beijing Olympic case with theirs biggest Open Era star Amelie Mauresmo, or Australians in Jelena Dokic AO/08 WC case... or that WTA MUST to give 2009 USO champion Wild Card for YEC/09, and only time when I banned from this forum (for no reason of course) is when I defending Serena Williams contra-reaction here against ATP L.A. tournament organizers which been very disrespectful to her and make happy several trolls and spammers from this forum, which force me for some reaction, but mods once again support wrong side her... like this is forum AGAINST WTA stars, instead ABOUT WTA stars :confused:

Kournikova tennis career achievements is pathetic in comparison with so many great players from WTA history (or current), but on other hand she is one of most important persons in tennis history and womens tennis promotion, and her personal case is probably crucial for "Russian Revolution" which is one of most important and most notable things which happen to womens tennis in previous decade. Believe or not, much more parents in Eastern Europe decide "our little princess will try this" watching Kournikova on court and off court couple seasons, than watching GOAT Martina Navratilova for couple decades and her way to American dream :shrug: Like that, or not, but that is true, and Anna Kournikova deserve every WC or any other special treatment which she get from WTA during her short tennis career, because she give back to this sport by far much more! Michael Schumacher, Shaq O'Neal,...etc (in every sport You can find similar cases) is just shadows of theirs previous in competitive meaning, but theirs today's presence in theirs sports is actually very big thing for all this sports because theirs still amazing star-power. So if You ask me - if Anna Kournikova decide today to back on tour, and if her level is not even close to TOP50... I will be first here to call Idiot any tournament director which reject her WC request. Even Kournikova's one or two rounds presence with early defeat will be enough to bring some extra attention on that event or WTA tour in general for sure.

Wild Cards is exclusive and discretion opportunity for tournaments organizers to give chance to compete some player which they want to see there, but who is not enough good ranked for Main Draw (or Q-Draw) direct Entry List. Point of this thread is not that WTA really should OFFICIALLY to have two different types of WC's, but that some unwritten rules about tennis WC's should never be broken by events organizers. Fact is that in same month when I opened this thread we have for the first time in history of tennis case that some tournament reject WC request of some former WTA#1, GS and that event champion. At end of 2009 we also have unacceptable case that 2009 GS champion (which is also already some kind of WTA legend) not get WC to compete at YEC/09 Championship and in beginning of 2009 we have another WTA WC scandal where due to selfishness of Australian Open organizers which insist on theirs WC-distribution formula, they not give WC TOP20 ranked player Yanina Wickmayer which must play qualies and not been seeded at that tournament because that. Any WTA TOP32 player should to have special status at slams (call that VIP if You want) and to have priority for WC if for some reason she is not part of standard Direct Entry procedure (like that's happen with Wickmayer after fake doping affair). This thread is about that (if we speak seriously).

no one's reading all that, just saying :tape:

Nikkiri
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
A mess.

Caralenko
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
:sobbing: Love this thread.

Bismarck.
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
It just gets better and better and better:tears:.

Cp6uja is such an addition to this forum:hearts:.

Randy H
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Only a delusional Ivanovic fan could come up with a thread like this.

Wow.

How about (SUCK)Ana Ivanovic?

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Graduating into paranoia now.

Cp6uja is like those defendants who insist on representing themselves and, without a lawyer at their side to tell them when to STFU, just shoot their mouths off and make their own cases worse and worse, and are apparently completely unaware of it.

Mods: don't ever ban him. Please.

so true :lol: :lol:
we need high comedy in these WTA days

shirgan
Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:57 PM
I think this is actually a good idea. "Wild cards" refer to low-probability, high-impact events. Henin or Clijsters doing well in their first few tournaments back from retirement is the opposite of that: high-probability, low-impact. They should be called something else.
wildcard actually means that they are considered an unknown - they could be either strong/mediocre/weak.
and that's exactly what these players are coming back from retirement or a prolonged break

wildcard
1. Games. A playing card whose value can vary as determined by its holder.
2. Sports. An athlete or team selected to compete in a tournament or playoff from among those who did not qualify by meeting the regular requirements.
3. Computer Science. A symbol that stands for one or more unspecified characters, used especially in searching text and in selecting multiple files or directories.
4. Slang. An unpredictable or unforeseeable factor: A surprise witness proved to be the wild card at the trial.

danieln1
Oct 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
This thread has become a classic, because now in every thread there´s VIP next to Ana´s name, and only hers, because he even said it could be use to another slump star if she´s required a VIP entry!

Love Cp6uja, every thread he made by the way, he makes this forum worth reading, and is funny too regarding serious questions about WTA

Volcana
Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
If they need to be called 'VIP' instead of 'WC', then they don;thave sufficient name recognition to be called a VIP. And if the have sufficient name recognition, the WC next to their name isn't misleading anybody.

Nobody at OZ last year said "who's this WC Henin"?

Caipirinha Guy
Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:02 PM
If there was "VIP" near player's name in the draw, then people would ask, why this player is VIP and the other one not :shrug: [e.g. Ivanović is VIP and Serena not :spit:]. Everybody knows what Wild Card means, let's not change it. )

ivanban
Oct 3rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
If there was "VIP" near player's name in the draw, then people would ask, why this player is VIP and the other one not :shrug: [e.g. Ivanović is VIP and Serena not :spit:]. Everybody knows what Wild Card means, let's not change it. )

VIP = Very Irrelevant Player :shrug:

Vartan
Mar 27th, 2011, 11:20 PM
:cheer: VIP Maria Sharapova to win Charleston!

Balltossovic
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:22 AM
:spit:

Now I know where the VIP came from!:haha:

I was afraid to ask:sobbing:

It had to be him!

danieln1
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:23 AM

It had to be him!

This only thread made the whole VIP thing explode here in TF! When Serena returns she will be VIP Serena! Or it only apply for Ivanovic?

njnetswill
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:40 AM

This only thread made the whole VIP thing explode here in TF! When Serena returns she will be VIP Serena! Or it only apply for Ivanovic?

Serena will definitely be a VIP. She's part of the fistpump sisterhood.

cellophane
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Nooooo. VIP is Baby Anci's nickname only. Sorry, but VIP Serena is just not exciting ;)

cellophane
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:48 AM
:cheer: VIP Maria Sharapova to win Charleston!

There is only one VIP and it ain't Maria :rolleyes:

danieln1
Mar 28th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Nooooo. VIP is Baby Anci's nickname only. Sorry, but VIP Serena is just not exciting ;)

I thought about the same, even though Serena apply for the category... It´s just too associated with Ana by now! :lol:

So Disrespectful
Mar 28th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Andrea Paredes was awarded a VIP into Buenos Aires 25K.

Vartan
Mar 28th, 2011, 04:20 AM

It had to be him!

:hug:

There is only one VIP and it ain't Maria :rolleyes:

danieln1
Jun 27th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Can we say now Serena is officially eligible for a VIP entry now???

M.P
Jun 27th, 2011, 04:24 PM
(VIP) Serena Williams (USA) :cool:

Queenpova
Mar 15th, 2012, 08:26 PM
deeeeeeeeeeeead