PDA

View Full Version : Based upon current form, compare a WTA player to an ATP player

DPJ
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Hey guys - not sure if this topic had been done before, but thought it could be an interesting and fun one. I think at this point in the season, there are a lot of similarities between the two tours. So I decided to pair up a WTA player with their current male counterpart.

Take this. The top 5 this week on both tours actually pair up strangely well:

Serena - Nadal: Both dominating at the moment. Stronger, faster, healthier and more mentally tough than anyone else in the game going into the US Open Series.
Jankovic - Djokovic: Both had semi-resurrections in the spring, coupled with some decent Grand Slam play since. Yet on some level, it's still surprising they've been able to rise back to No. 2 in the world. It's a prime illustration about how far ahead of the pack Nadal and S. Williams are.
Venus - Federer: This comparison's a bit unfair to Roger -- he did win the Australian, while Venus has been subpar at the Slams all year. Yet not only are their ages and on-court personalities very similar, but there is a lot to be said for both of their 2010 seasons. Struggling with game opponents and chronic injuries; winning consistently -- nothing strange there -- yet also losing in uncharacteristic manner. Plus, disappointing results on cherished Centre Court has added tenfold to the bandwagoning group of doubters. The US Open could equally bring either rejuvenation or a sense continued disappointment.
Wozniacki - Murray: Although Murray possesess a game with more power and variety, both are known for their counterpunching skills and ability to bring balls back. After strong finishes in '09 and starts to 2010, they suffered springtime slumps (Wozniacki's brought on by injury) and haven't fully recovered -- with Wimbledon being a perfect example.
Stosur - Soderling: Talk about building confidence off of one great tournament -- exactly what these two solid powerhouses did after 2009 Roland Garros. They had stellar clay-court campaigns and possess lethal all-around games, yet mental strength is still suspect. Look at this year's Wimbledon for evidence.

And some more:
Li - Tsonga: Prior to Jo-Willie's recent announcement about knee surgery, these mercurial, explosive powerhouses were healthy and playing good tennis, nestled on the edge of the Top 10. When they're on, they're on; when they're not, it's ugly to watch. The US Open series could bring a lot more mixed results (if Tsonga is even healthy enough to play).
Zvonareva - Berdych: These semi-veterans finally broke through at Wimbledon, backing up years of hard work and buzz and promise. They also both played like crap in their respective finals, folding like cheap tents. The US Open Series -- and the Open itself -- will be interesting.
Bartoli - Monfils: Entrenched in the Top 20, these flashy French players can always be counted on for racking up consistent yet non-memorable wins over the course of a season. So far, 2010 has been no different. With games a lot more stunning then their results, it'll be interesting to see if either can step it up against the big guns this summer -- something Bartoli did herself in Stanford last year, but also something neither have come close to accomplishing this year.
Henin - Melzer: I'd say they both strike their volleys with hints of jealousy and discrimination, don't you?

I don't know, kind of a whimsical one, but one that could be cool to discuss. Guess it depends on how many of you follow the men's game, which I suspect is a good amount. I think there are definitely some more comparisons that could be made going down the rankings (Kirilenko - Wawrinka? Wickmayer - Gulbis? Hantuchova - Baghdatis?) or even elsewhere in the top 10/20. Also, are their male counterparts to the bizarre likes of Kuznetsova, Safina or Ivanovic? Hard to come up with any.

Steven.
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Jankovic has been pretty shit in recent years, you have to admit and she only recently managed good results again. Djokovic has been very consistent last year and didn't drop outside of the top 5. He had a few Masters runner up and had a Masters title. His slam records > Jankovic. In fact, last year was a lot better for Djokovic than this year. I don't know what you mean by 'resurrection' in his case.

How is Federer like Venus this year in terms of ATP and WTA, respectively? Venus' slam runs are quite mediocre, but Federer at least managed to win a slam and made best of 8 in the other two slams. Venus has been doing well in non-slam tournaments, notable two runner ups in Mandatorys when Federer has been doing jack shit in Masters. Federer has barely been consistent this year, while Venus is for sure pretty damn consistent with her QF appearances at majority of her tournaments.

Also, Zvonareva's and Berdych's breakthrough comparison is arguable. Zvonareva's breakthrough was last year's Australian Open / Indian Wells for sure.

Sp!ffy
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Stosur and Del Potro have a lot of common..

..well not really. They both have really huge forehands.

Jajaloo
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Jankovic has been pretty shit in recent years

Last year.

StephenUK
Jul 14th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Brie Whitehead = Robert Dee. The bagel couple par excellence. I really think Wimbledon should have given them a mixed doubles wild card for comedy value.

PushWoz
Jul 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Wozniacki with Murray?

Pops Maellard
Jul 14th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Wozniacki with Murray?
Keep dreaming. I don't see Caro reaching the F of AO and the SF of Wimbly this year. :lol:

Baselinebasher
Jul 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Decent comparisons..although I am hoping you're comparing based on results only and not actual playing styles. There is absolutely no female equivalent for guys like Federer, Nadal or Djokovic.

The Witch-king
Jul 14th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Decent comparisons..although I am hoping you're comparing based on results only and not actual playing styles. There is absolutely no female equivalent for guys like Federer, Nadal or Djokovic.

What has Djokovic done this year?

Baselinebasher
Jul 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM
What has Djokovic done this year?

Won Dubai, made slam SF? Not the best results he's had, but at least it's something.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Fakervic also known to fake injuries at any moment too :spit: just like JJ :spit:
not really a threat to win a slam

mr_burns
Jul 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Gaston Gaudio and Bovina

Both wanna fight back, but obviously can't

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Id Say Nadal-Sharapova(Based on their personalities and on their playing styles)Both are great fighters on court and off court(with the injuries)..both have a great Forehand..And they both have a delaying routine before their Serve lol

Baselinebasher
Jul 14th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Id Say Nadal-Sharapova(Based on their personalities and on their playing styles)Both are great fighters on court and off court(with the injuries)..both have a great Forehand..And they both have a delaying routine before their Serve lol

Sharapova's and Nadal's style are nothing alike.... Nadal has one of the best forehands in the game, Sharapova's FH is rubbish. Nadal is fast, Sharapova isn't. Nadal has best defense on ATP, Sharapova has no defense. Sharapova always attacks, Nadal likes hitting winners from seemingly defensive positions. Nadal plays with a lot of topspin and low error, consistent game. Sharapova plays high risk, high error game. Nadal's game is highly suited for clay, Sharapova is mug on clay. I can go on forever with this...

2Black
Jul 14th, 2010, 02:05 PM

O lawd, this is a whole lot of wishful thinking :help:

Pops Maellard
Jul 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Sharapova's and Nadal's style are nothing alike.... Nadal has one of the best forehands in the game, Sharapova's FH is rubbish. Nadal is fast, Sharapova isn't. Nadal has best defense on ATP, Sharapova has no defense. Sharapova always attacks, Nadal likes hitting winners from seemingly defensive positions. Nadal plays with a lot of topspin and low error, consistent game. Sharapova plays high risk, high error game. Nadal's game is highly suited for clay, Sharapova is mug on clay. I can go on forever with this...

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-15/5214Moscou07_sharapova_azarenka_medium.gif

The Witch-king
Jul 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Pova's best surface

Gdsimmons
Jul 14th, 2010, 02:14 PM

So very true

Pops Maellard
Jul 14th, 2010, 02:32 PM
So very true
Except the fact that Sharapova unlike Nadal can win US Open, and Sharapova's FH is NOT rubbish. :tape:

Baselinebasher
Jul 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Except the fact that Sharapova unlike Nadal can win US Open, and Sharapova's FH is NOT rubbish. :tape:

The last time I saw Sharapova hit decent forehand was AO 2008 and that destroyed her shoulder. Now she just moonballs with it.

Gdsimmons
Jul 14th, 2010, 03:08 PM
The last time I saw Sharapova hit decent forehand was AO 2008 and that destroyed her shoulder. Now she just moonballs with it.

Those FH at AO 08 were killer. Ever since then though.....:help::help:

Sp!ffy
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:17 PM
A lot of the commentators imply that Nadal and Sharapova both have the same mental toughness. They try their hardest on every point and a lot of players do not do that. Other than that, not much else in comparison.

serenafan08
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM

She's lucky. Jennifer Capriati hits that same reverse forehand that Maria does, and how long has it been since Capster has played a match? Maria needs to just hit a plain forehand and cut the reverse out of her shot.

Craig.
Jul 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM

Basically...Maria sucks, Rafa's GOAT.

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Basically...Maria sucks, Rafa's GOAT.

Yeah right over Rogers dead body:tape::tape:

darrinbaker00
Jul 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Stosur and Del Potro have a lot of common..

..well not really. They both have really huge forehands.
In an arm-wrestling match between those two, my money's on Stosur. ;)

madmax
Jul 14th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Actually Sharapova is most comparable to Del Potro in terms of her style of play and mental strenght - both are tall powerfull consistent baseliners, both are riddled with constant injuries and both are very strong mentally.

Sp!ffy
Jul 14th, 2010, 10:49 PM
She's lucky. Jennifer Capriati hits that same reverse forehand that Maria does, and how long has it been since Capster has played a match? Maria needs to just hit a plain forehand and cut the reverse out of her shot.

That's sort of hard to do considering she's hit a forehand like that her entire life :lol: For her to not hit a FH like that would be similar to her starting to use a one handed backhand. :help:

hellas719
Jul 16th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Pennetta-Verdasco

Pops Maellard
Jul 16th, 2010, 05:33 AM
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad198/sober_gifs/2jdpgd4_thjpg.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-9CC4HZgMI

Cp6uja
Jul 16th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Ana Ivanovic and Rod Laver which sadly both are currently very long away of theirs peaks, but I hope at least Ana will be back :scared:

Aravanecaravan
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Ana Ivanovic and Rod Laver which sadly both are currently very long away of theirs peaks, but I hope at least Ana will be back :scared:

:confused:

Navratilova and Laver, perhaps. Big lefty forehands, serve and volleyers, and arguably the greatest ever at their sport.

Ivanovic hasn't earned the right to be included in that sentence, not to mention, I don't think Laver ever had problems tossing the ball.

Reptilia
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Soderling and Stosur

Cp6uja
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
:confused:

Navratilova and Laver, perhaps. Big lefty forehands, serve and volleyers, and arguably the greatest ever at their sport.

Ivanovic hasn't earned the right to be included in that sentence, not to mention, I don't think Laver ever had problems tossing the ball.I'm talking about Ana's and Rod current shape :shrug:

Aravanecaravan
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I'm talking about Ana's and Rod current shape :shrug:

Ah. Well, I guess you can compare her to Bill Tilden and Don Budge as well....

DefyingGravity
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM
The Jankovic-Djokovic comparison seem to be valid because honestly both seem to have truly reached their prime in 2008 (Djokovic's AO title, Jankovic's Slam Final at the USO)and had ugly slumps last year. Both sort of play centered around the backhand...in looking to improve their serves, they've gotten worse...

It would be hard to compare Djokovic to Ivanovic other than the fact that they've both got the Slam. They play nothing alike.

Cp6uja
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Ah. Well, I guess you can compare her to Bill Tilden and Don Budge as well....:confused: :confused: :confused:

Even Ana's grandma currently playing better tennis than dead former tennis players which You mentioned!

After Rome when her form is on peak this season, Ana's tennis seems clearly better than great Manolo Santana game!
eg05mgIuwd4

Renalicious
Jul 17th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Safina = Del Potro

They are both tall players, out injured after a stellar 2009 season.