PDA

View Full Version : Video: Venus Williams vs. Martina Hingis - Washington Kastles WTT 2010

danieln1
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:35 AM
dNp7sY37eQ8

JJ all the way
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:48 AM
dNp7sY37eQ8

:hearts:

Not even close to their best matches, but it is always good to see these two playing!!

RenaSlam.
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Horrible, Venus. HORRIBLE.

tennnisfannn
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Venus can't return Hingis serve! Perhaps Martina needs to give it one more try, she is still young and who knows, she could get really goood.

Cakeisgood
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I think it's sad that it looked like Vee was actually trying.

Vincey!
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Venus were just not playing well at all :s Martina should really give it a shot in double though, she was GREAT at wimby

Sp!ffy
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:52 AM
It's alright Vee. Just get all the shit out of you now before the US Open :inlove:

Buitenzorg
Jul 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
they both play like amateur :lol:

Kworb
Jul 13th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Martina's forehand :help:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
why is martina serving at the same side around 03:40 after losing the point (GP for Vee?)???:confused:

petkoan
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Martina's forehand :help:

It is due for improvement as she gains match practice :)

MistyGrey
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I wanted to see their handshake !

.Andrew.
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the video ;)

Venus was bad (from the highlights) :p Obviously she didn't give 100%, but it looks like she actually put some kind of an effort here. I've seen WTT matches where Venus looked like she was walking at times. :lol:

Nice to see Martina playing again though! There were a few classics Venus v. Martina pts in there :hearts:

Dave.
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Any of the Davenport match?

mauresmofan
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Well the way tennis is at the moment I have no doubt Hingis could make an impact should she decide to return and who knows maybe she could have a chance at the French again.

Kworb
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
why is martina serving at the same side around 03:40 after losing the point (GP for Vee?)???:confused:

In no-ad scoring the receiver chooses a side when it's deuce.

Serena y Monica
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I think it's sad that it looked like Vee was actually trying.

She was really trying...but her day started at 4am and she went from event to event...so fatigue was an issue...lol!

Aaric
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Martina has to return to the doubles tour. Seriously.

Break My Rapture
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I love those courts. :rolls:

ptitnavet
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Martina's forehand : worse than Pushniacki's :sobbing:

LoveFifteen
Jul 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I was at this match, and I was at the WTT match last night in DC.

Hingis was better in every way last night than she was last week against Venus. I'm not saying she should return or that she's amazing, but she was definitely much better last night. She made way less errors, and her forehand was no longer completely embarrassing.

Yonexforever
Jul 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Did anyone else notice a hitch/limp in the way Venus was walking?
It looks like a hip problem, which could have been the reason for her exit from Wimbledon.

tonythetiger
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:14 PM
It looks like a hip problem, which could have been the reason for her exit from Wimbledon.

I noticed.

Yonexforever
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I noticed.

Im not sure if its just more pronounced now, but I think i have seen a hitch from time to time as she walked between points, but it seemed really even more so the other night.

Pureracket
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I'm a fan of Venus', and I don't think the hitch/limp had anything to do with her Wimbledon exit. I think the fact that she is not in the best physical conditioning caused her exit.

serenus_2k8
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Vee went easy :hug: What a classy champion.

shoparound
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Venus :tape::help:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Was this an exibition? if so..why is everybody so hard on Venus?

Vlover
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM
You would think that WTT is insignificant but I guess not to some.:shrug: We all know that Venus rather focus on her book tour but is just going through the motions for BJK. I would rather she skip these events as well but obviously she is never going to tell BJK she can't do it.:tape:

Anyway I'm glad she got the win regardless of how ugly and horrible she played in order to squelch the Venus envy club usual :bs::zzz:

Direwolf
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM

no ad scoring my friend
just how wtt works.. serve same side

Direwolf
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:19 PM
anyone have seen Venus vs Davenport?

faboozadoo15
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:43 PM
no ad scoring my friend
just how wtt works.. serve same side

Actually doesn't the returner pick?

MBM
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Thx for the vid!

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:34 PM
:lol: Oh, Venus.

You folks MUST know this is simply a glorified exo.

Tennisstar86
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Well the way tennis is at the moment I have no doubt Hingis could make an impact should she decide to return and who knows maybe she could have a chance at the French again.

Neither of them was actually swinging at the ball.... I mean i know hingis isnt known for power, but both were just placing the ball around the court....

Tennisstar86
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Actually doesn't the returner pick?

thats usually the rule....unless its mixed then its girl to girl and boy to boy.... though I also thought they played to 6......

Tennisstar86
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM

Venus always walks with a limp......a lot of tall people do...and are usually called gangly because of it.

iWill
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Venus always walks with a limp......a lot of tall people do...and are usually called gangly because of it.

Hasnt it been said that one of Venus's legs is slightly longer than the other? I think that explains the "limp" that you are talking about

LeonHart
Jul 14th, 2010, 03:08 AM
O.M.G.!!!! :hearts:

You could tell Martina hasn't been training, this is the slowest I've seen her and Martina even at her worst on the tour doesn't hit that soft :lol:

Her forehands were landing mid-court and she could not go offensive on her backhand. There's no way she's making a comeback! I'm happy to watch her again though, she always brings a smile on my face :D

LUIS9
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:17 AM

Who are you kidding? Are you being sarcastic? Hingis looks old and spent, so sluggish, some of the ladies legends invitational players look quicker and more powerful than most of Hingis strokes. No wonder Hingis has been clear that there will be no comeback certainly in singles. 85% of her shots all landed short and with no pace, heck Sukova still hits a forehand with more pace than Hingis and she's at least a decade older than Hingis. Unfortunately Hingis was never going to be your prototypical athlete, she herself said countless of times that she would always only be a player and not a fighter or a jock.

On the bright side she's always had the sweetest and deftest hands, which unfortunately lost significance with the advent of topspin and graphite.

LUIS9
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:18 AM
O.M.G.!!!! :hearts:

You could tell Martina hasn't been training, this is the slowest I've seen her and Martina even at her worst on the tour doesn't hit that soft :lol:

Her forehands were landing mid-court and she could not go offensive on her backhand. There's no way she's making a comeback! I'm happy to watch her again though, she always brings a smile on my face :D

Ditto.

swim4life227
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Yeah them losing to Tracy Austin in the ladies invite doubles, basically means there is no chance.

Not sure why so many are making a big deal about this match or Vee's match with Davenport, they were barely hitting the ball out there, it was all ball placement.

LUIS9
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Yeah them losing to Tracy Austin in the ladies invite doubles, basically means there is no chance.

Not sure why so many are making a big deal about this match or Vee's match with Davenport, they were barely hitting the ball out there, it was all ball placement.

Granted Kournikova hasn't had a serve since 2002, but seriously Tracy and that other lady I forget her name could be Hingis and Kournikova's mothers and they managed to lose to them, that's certainly not good omen for any possible prospects of return even on the doubles circuit.

Yup exhibitions have very little significance in terms of actual tour play results, besides Davenport has always been and will always be the cleaner ball striker of the two, so she's got the upper hand in finding her rhythm and catching Venus off guard at exhos which are played just for fun.

Whitehead's Boy
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Wow, even if it's just an exhibition, it's always sad to see past champions playing like amateurs (I also have the Seles exhibition in mind at the Canadian Open with Wozniak). At least her backhand is still decent.

Arnian
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Seems like Martina has nothing on her shots...

Nice to see her again though

PLP
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Who are you kidding? Are you being sarcastic? Hingis looks old and spent, so sluggish, some of the ladies legends invitational players look quicker and more powerful than most of Hingis strokes. No wonder Hingis has been clear that there will be no comeback certainly in singles. 85% of her shots all landed short and with no pace, heck Sukova still hits a forehand with more pace than Hingis and she's at least a decade older than Hingis. Unfortunately Hingis was never going to be your prototypical athlete, she herself said countless of times that she would always only be a player and not a fighter or a jock.

On the bright side she's always had the sweetest and deftest hands, which unfortunately lost significance with the advent of topspin and graphite.

:lol:

A bit harsh I think. Hingis looks old, spent, and sluggish because she didn't train very hard for this summer, she is ONLY 29, LOL...she is playing her way into shape, such is her way. She has won her last 3 singles matches and I imagine is improving daily. She just needs confidence and match play. Plus, she has said time and time again that she is not coming back...I never expected to see her suddenly appear at the USO, but we will see what happens next year. Perhaps she will get in shape and change her mind. Regardless, I love seeing her back on court.

PLP
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Wow, even if it's just an exhibition, it's always sad to see past champions playing like amateurs (I also have the Seles exhibition in mind at the Canadian Open with Wozniak). At least her backhand is still decent.

Are you referring to Venus?
:tape:
I would hardly call a current top player a 'past champion'

The Witch-king
Jul 14th, 2010, 07:49 AM

Do you have to ask.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Just watched this, nice seeing these two ladies on court together again. Hingis looks a lot older than the last time I saw her :(

OohZuzana
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:26 AM
My writeup of the match, with quotes from each :)

http://www.thedailyforehand.com/2010/7/13/1568166/venus-williams-martina-hingis

LoveFifteen
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Hingis played a lot better against Angela Haynes. Her shots were better. Her forehand wasn't as bad as it was against Venus. I am not saying she's coming back, but she was definitely better, and not just because Venus is a better player than Angela. Venus was actually horrible when she played Martina, whereas Angela was really trying.

OohZuzana
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Were you the one in the upper deck behind the New York bench screaming "MARTINA!" ? :D

tom62
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM
martina is fit now :) :) :)
pictures and results wtt here

http://kawai-hingis.skyrock.com

90% for a comback now !!!!!!

LoveFifteen
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Were you the one in the upper deck behind the New York bench screaming "MARTINA!" ? :D

No, I didn't cheer for Martina when she played against Angela Haynes because of what happened the last time I meekly cheered for her when she played against Venus. :o

tom62
Jul 16th, 2010, 09:57 PM
after the wtt ( 22 july ) martina will decided on this comeback !!!!
back martina !

tom62
Jul 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
monday 19 july martina will playing against kim :) :) :)

VishaalMaria
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:03 AM
No, I didn't cheer for Martina when she played against Angela Haynes because of what happened the last time I meekly cheered for her when she played against Venus. :o

That's such a wrong mentality to have. After all you paid money and time to see Hingis play live, you should have screamed at the top of your lungs and ignored everyone else. You shouldn't accommodate for anyone in this context.

But at least you saw her. Just disappointing to her stories like that.

ajmo!
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:31 AM
When would she be back to Tour than? I think she should try to play few strong challengers by the end of the year and the come back in Australia.

Renalicious
Jul 17th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Ewwwwwww. Venus was a hot mess. :help: And Martina was such a pusher. :bigcry: Did she hit ANY winners there?

Daniel K
Jul 17th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Martina's won her last 5 singles matches since losing to Venus so she just needed a bit of match practice and must be playing a lot better than in this video.