PDA

View Full Version : What is it about your favorite player/s that made you like them?

Sp!ffy
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I've seen many people with a lot of unknown players in their signatures and it intrigues me to know why they like those players over others.

Maria became my instant favorite when I got into tennis because I loved how she mixed glamor with power. I always thought of her as the underdog because many people thought she was just another pretty face but disproved everyone with her results. I would be a fan of Ana Ivanovic too but that slump of hers is such a turn off.

What about you??

Baselinebasher
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Always prefered technique and finesse over brainless ball bashing, so my first favorite female player was Hingis, followed by Henin.

n1_and_uh_noone
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Always prefered technique and finesse over brainless ball bashing, so my first favorite female player was Hingis, followed by Henin.

Justine, grace in motion (stolen catchphrase :)), enough said.

Aaron.
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Justine's technique is not that great..so obviously you watch her for some other reason..

My favorite player is Venus because of her personality and athletic skills I guess. But I really respect Serena because of her determination that's really something to admire

Sean.
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Justine's technique is not that great..so obviously you watch her for some other reason..

How do you think she hits the ball so hard then? It's definitely not her height! :lol:

n1_and_uh_noone
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:44 AM

My favorite player is Venus because of her personality and athletic skills I guess. But I really respect Serena because of her determination that's really something to admire

There is really no reason to start mud-slinging here. Just talk about your favorite players. It is easy to start pinpointing faults in any player.

Baselinebasher
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:47 AM

Completely wrong. Her BH is a thing of beauty and her FH was one of the most technical shots in women's tennis in 2007. Her transition game, the angles she could create and her variety was absolutely phenomenal. Please don't confuse her with present version, who has been ball bashing after AO.

Sean.
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Justine - variety, hard work. I enjoy watching her game.
Ana - despite what TF thinks, she's a really nice girl, and not bad on the eye either. :p Plus her FH is incredible, when on.
Dinara - she's worked so hard for everything, I admire her for it.
Vera - I love her game, I find it really aesthetically pleasing, she's got so much game too!
Laura - she's British & has a good sense of humour.

Pops Maellard
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Most of the ladies in my sig have big games and huge flat groundies which is my favourite sort of tennis.

RenaSlam.
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Serena's fight.

Chakvenus
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:44 AM
i don't know, i just really like both the games and the names of Chakvetadze, Venus, Bartoli, Hantuchova, Schnyder, Szavay, etc.
they all seem unique to me both in terms of their playing style and what they are called.

aisha
Jul 13th, 2010, 04:03 AM
There is really no reason to start mud-slinging here. Just talk about your favorite players. It is easy to start pinpointing faults in any player.

Oh, be fair now. If one calls a brand of player a ball basher, then one can say a player's technique is not that good. :lol:

Sp!ffy
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Justine, grace in motion (stolen catchphrase :)), enough said.

I've admired how some players can compensate power for other skills. Henin and Hingis are just two prime examples. :worship:

DemWilliamsGulls
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Venus and Serena's power, speed and serve.....also their fashion too ;) 2000-2002 they were on FIRE!!!!

Optima
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Jelena Jankovic is my favorite player for many reasons. I find her game extremely fluid when working, turning offense into defense and defense into offense - her movement is virtual gliding and to be on top of everything, and get it back with interest makes her extremely fun to watch. She is emotional and shows it, something which I find very respectable. Despite having a lot of things against her (failed BIG breakthroughs, a shit but improving serve, virtual no lipgloss in the tube left look when at net, a shaky forehand, irritability, aka, Irina) she still keeps playing and strives to get better, no matter how we as fans (basically, every fan in the JJ forum) can't really believe that. There's something that just makes me root for her. Also, her unconventional looks add a lot of flair to her on court appearence, and while a lot of people think she's an ugly duckling, I still find her pretty damn beautiful. Also, where do I even begin to count the list of endearing things related to this girl? So many quotes, actions, outfits, fashion disasters and tubes of lipgloss to count...

austennis
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Ana - sweet girl who was playing out of her mind tennis for a lil while, and always remained humble.
Venus - class and a champion. Love her drive volleys too
Sammy - good old aussie girl doing well for herself, no nonsense, hardworking, and never gives up.

tennisplayer21
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Tennis is really tough to watch nowadays.

I'll say Melanie Oudin because she's an underdog with a lot of fight.

Julian.
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Well, I started following tennis in the first place BECAUSE of Sharapova. :rolls:

ivanban
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:23 AM
JJ, cause she's ridiculous and idiot :shrug:

TZVETI83
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:35 AM

She is a great girl, really sweet. A very nice personality off court.:worship:

Kworb
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Seles: her amazing grunt, two-handed from both sides, her posture on court, I just love her
Hingis: the most skilled female tennis player of all time, she is the Federer of women's tennis, pure joy to watch her play
Dementieva: when she could only do that ridiculous slice serve I became a fan, I just loved how good she was even with such an obvious handicap, also her personality is amazing, she is really hot and her grunt is an angelic and addictive sound
Karatantcheva: I really felt compassion for her when she was banned from the tour and classic quotes like "I'm going to kick her ass off" and "my return will be thunderous" are forever engraved in tennis history, I will always be rooting for her no matter how much she is struggling, she's so cool and deserves so much more
Serena: when she tweeted me back she moved a few positions up my list of favorites, also Serenidad made me realize how much I have subconsciously loved her all my life
Henin: it's still amazing to watch her play, such a small and frail person with so much explosive power and stunning shots

shega
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Well, I liked both Venus and Serena (although no more Venus, see the thread about liking then ending up hating a player) because their tennis is what my mom would call " eternal " and " consistent as hell".
But the one I really loved has always been Sharapova, a girl so young and so brave and so strong and yeah, so tall. I wish she'd never gotten into so much fashion.
Tati Golovin - the most beautiful technique in my honest opinion, her forehand was love and her serve motion was unique. She wasn't a choker and she didn't go around pumping her fist every two points. And strangely, we have the same (annoying) grunt !
Vera Zvonareva - Again, attractive technique, then she haid those horrible injuries but especially now with a Wimbly final, I love her even more.

skanky~skanketta
Jul 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario - Well, her grit and determination and overall attitude towards the game totally won me over. I loved the fact that despite her limitations compared to Steffi and Monica she still believed in herself when it would have been so easy to give up and just say "Oh well, I guess I'm not destined for superstardom". For me, she's a superstar!

Venus Williams - Well, the fact that a black woman came on tour and reignited power tennis was something to behold. LOVED her bold outfit choices on court and the fact that she remained cool on court (yes, there were outbursts, but rather minimal compared to everyone else). She had her lows, but never did she let it deter her.

Serena Williams - Well, Venus had all the attention first, so naturally being the younger sister in my own house, I rooted for Serena! Loved how she turned from being a choker to one of the best clutch players the game has ever seen. I wont deny that her arrogance sometimes turns me off, but I always think that when you've got the results to back it up, you have the right to be arrogant!

Kim Clijsters - Well, it started off because I was living in Belgium when Kim burst on to the scene. So it was a semi-patriotic thing. Then, the more I watched, the more I loved her game! Great power and even more spectacular defensive abilities! And of course, her spirit. What's not to love?

Justine Henin - Similar to Kim, it was the whole living in Belgium thing. Completely fell in love when she defeated Capriati at Wimbledon. Then the fact that she worked her ass off to really keep up with the big guns made me admire her. Yes, there were moments that put me off, but I put that past me and love her still!

Svetlana Kuznetsova - I hated her to begin with, and then when she mentioned to reporters that she was upset when the Russian president did not call her to congratulate her the way he did Myskina and Sharapova, my heart just ached for the poor girl. It may have been sympathy that started it off, but the more I watched, the more I loved her game. Such an all rounder with a tendency to choke, but her candidness and sense of humor makes her so lovable for me.

Pops Maellard
Jul 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM
She is a great girl, really sweet. A very nice personality off court.:worship:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/digital_talent/laceychabertmeangirls023zl.gif

Rafito.
Jul 13th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Because she is like the coolest player on tour by far!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5emjbmSfU1qc905t.gif

madmax
Jul 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I started watching ladies tennis in the 90's solely because of Ms Hingis - her fluid free flowing tennis was a beauty to watch then...although my current favorite female player plays completely different brand of tennis though

dreamgoddess099
Jul 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Venus- because she's the anti-jock. She's a complete nerd (can't learn enough) but she's so coordinated with that long lithe body. Very rare combination for an athlete.

Serena- Because there has never been a female athlete like her in the history of sports. She's almost like a really flamboyant gay man in a very athletic/voluptuous (that right there is an enigma all by itself) woman's body. I've never seen any female athlete mix prissy with aggression the way she does and make it work.

Priscilla.
Jul 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM

she's really nice and sweet girl!:smooch:

Zamboni
Jul 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM
My first faves:
Hingis: Her game, and her attitude. I loved the arrogance:lol:

Coetzer: Being so small and so good amazed me and I loved her for it.

My current faves:
Pennetta: I started loving her because of the way she was supporting Italy in the Fed Cup final 2006, despite being injured herself. That, plus her game, her technique and her attitude on court which I saw during her match in that final made her my fave really quickly

Errani: Hmm, I couldn't tell:lol: For a year or 2, I just liked her more everytime I saw her (live). There's something in the way she holds herself on court that I just love.

Elisse
Jul 13th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Akgul - First saw her play at Roland Garros in 2008 and loved her game!! :hearts: (Totally different than the sort of game I usually go for...usually prefer one handed BH) Thought she was really fun to watch, very expressive on court, she really seemed to think about her shots...I thought she had a lot of potiental. She's also a lovely person, very intelligent, funny and very hard working :worship:

Eleni - I admit...first thing that made me notice Eleni was a photo of her and I thought she was hot. Just so happened that she also played the type of tennis that I enjoy..one handed BH, expressive, bit of fire on the court.

All the others I like -
Sevastova (talented girl, so much potiental, intelligent)
Shvedova (lovely person..such a sweetie, very motivated and hard working)
Garbin (seems like a fun person, like her game)
Schiavone (same as Garbin...fun and enjoy her game)

BlameSerena
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Serena - Personality + Attitdue + Passion and the way she shows it on court and off. :hearts:

Shepster
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I've found someone playing really stylish tennis with a nice demeanour against my fave is the easiest way for me to pay attention. Hingis was my favourite player (ever since Wimbledon girls in 94, never seen anything as ridiculous as how talented she was - that and proving brains could beat brawn made her so easy to cheer for) but seeing what Dani did at Indian Wells in 02 was just :drool:, her game was the perfect combination of skill, style and power. Hingis remained my fave until Wimbledon 03 with Danka going through that nightmare match against Asagoe :fiery: where she spent about half an hour in floods of tears hitting winner, error, winner, error. Seeing her later despite the media storm around her playing the doubles laughing and joking :hearts: I was hooked.

With regards to lesser known players, doing well (relatively) or playing nicely against a top opponent usually does it. For example I liked Goerges because she was getting blown away by Henin in the first round of the US Open 07 but by the end she showed some fight and ended up playing so well but the damage had been done. Same tournament next round Olaru hung with Venus for a while and so it makes you stand out. Mathilde Johansson giving Sveta *all* she could handle in one of the most entertaining bash-a-thons you'll ever see at Wimbledon 08 :worship: Sometimes it's just personality though, I never cared for Kirilenko until she started showing what a nutcase she is (beating JJ because her coach had promised to buy her a puppy, that insane blog from ... Korea was it?) - made her so much more interesting than "hot blonde!" which actually made me indifferent to her originally.

Also, being a Dani fan, for some reason we all tend to like anything Slovakian so I'd liked Rybarikova since one of those Bratislava livestreams years ago and Domi's rise into the top 100 and beyond post-French 07 was great to see even though most of it wasn't televised. Pretty sure I first saw her on one of those livestreams too.

Yeah so style of play, giving it a go even when being outclassed, that sort of thing appeals to me.

makirilenko
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I just love everything about makiri, the way she plays, the way she dresses, the way she is attractive. I don't mind that she isn't always the best player out there in any given match, she is always a pleasure to watch so I try to watch her whenever I can.

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM
SERENA..passion, fierce. Examples: Her match vs Maria at the ' 05 Oz open. When she hit that forehand return winner on mp down. THAT is Serena to a T. NO fear and then the staredown! Priceless! And her whole ' 04 YEC. Just a couple of examples.

Venus: The total opposite of her sis. COLD as ice. You can't read her...sometimes to her own deteriment.

Hingis: She was playing chess out there. Was thinking three or four steps ahead of her opponent.

Juju: she's good. Only thing: stop looking at Carlos the whole time! :lol:

Baselinebasher
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
SERENA..passion, fierce. Examples: Her match vs Maria at the ' 05 Oz open. When she hit that forehand return winner on mp down. THAT is Serena to a T. NO fear and then the staredown! Priceless! And her whole ' 04 YEC. Just a couple of examples.

Venus: The total opposite of her sis. COLD as ice. You can't read her...sometimes to her own deteriment.

Hingis: She was playing chess out there. Was thinking three or four steps ahead of her opponent.

Juju: she's good. Only thing: stop looking at Carlos the whole time! :lol:

Don't forget US Open 2009.

TennisFan66
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I first heard about Caroline Wozniacki, when she was 13 years old and have followed her since. Its a true pleasure to also seen her personality and mental side mature so impressively. If there is one thing I personally cannot stand about sports people in general its diva attitude and entitlement complex. Luckily for me, Caroline shows none of those traits and I'm sure she'll remain my #1 fave.

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Don't forget US Open 2009.

Also...but I prefer to focus on the positive ones. Thank you.

MegaDethly
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM
The Williams sisters because they stood out, I liked them without even liking tennis. Then I liked them playing tennis, then I liked anyone playing tennis and women's tennis in genereal.

Used to favour Serena, now Venus.

Slutiana
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM
For both Venus and Serena I became a fan after witnessing (at seperate times) their incredible fusion of aggression and atheticism. Also, the fact that they were always the underdogs yet were so self-assured and fought more than anyone in the game. I just always loved watching them play, and as two of the few black players back then they were role models to me and a huge part of why I wanted to become a pro.

I first saw Tatiana at Paris in 04 and I always loved watching her play and was naturally drawn to her. The moment that really transformed her into one of my top favourites was the Miami 2006 match vs Sharapova and as I began to see more footage of her off-court, I realised that not only did I love her technique, forehand, serve, gamestyle and on-court attitude, but she was just such an appealing character - so likeable, funny, friendly and charismatic. I miss her. :sad:

Nicolás89
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I thought she was so cocky and so good. :lol:

Freakan
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Most of TF posters like players because of their looks, nationality or race. They just don't want to admit that they're that shallow so they make up some crap that you can read here.

shega
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM
For both Venus and Serena I became a fan after witnessing (at seperate times) their incredible fusion of aggression and atheticism. Also, the fact that they were always the underdogs yet were so self-assured and fought more than anyone in the game. I just always loved watching them play, and as two of the few black players back then they were role models to me and a huge part of why I wanted to become a pro.

I first saw Tatiana at Paris in 04 and I always loved watching her play and was naturally drawn to her. The moment that really transformed her into one of my top favourites was the Miami 2006 match vs Sharapova and as I began to see more footage of her off-court, I realised that not only did I love her technique, forehand, serve, gamestyle and on-court attitude, but she was just such an appealing character - so likeable, funny, friendly and charismatic. I miss her. :sad:

:sad::sad:

DefyingGravity
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Ana -- She was so charming when I met her in Miami (2008 before she got stomped by Davenport)
Kim -- She's my first non Williams that I enjoyed watching
Serena and Venus -- a connection with my own life, being born in L.A., being black and being a tennis player. Their fight has always been incredible.
Vera -- Such a nice all around game, and I used to swing like her.
Sabine -- I see so much potential despite injuries
Dementieva -- A connection to her serving problems and my own (though mine weren't caused by shoulder injury). I loved how she could just change direction of the ball on the forehand in 2002-2004, then fell in love with her rounding out her game. She's one who I really want to see live.

Vlover
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Oh where do I begin! I use to be just a casual fan in the '90s rooting for Monica until she was stabbed then my interest wade until USO '97. I saw Venus for the first time play the semis and something in me just connected with her like no other athlete. It is totally out of character for me to go ga-ga over any stranger yet the more I saw her and read about her the more I became intrigued and fascinated by her.

I think the way she handled herself on the court and her post match interview with such maturity after that Spirlea bump sparked my interest even more. I started following her career ever since and the more I did the more I wanted to know which led me to this board after searching her name.:tape:

I later learned there was a sister who I first saw play the '99 USO final who I liked mainly as Venus' sister but later developed a separate admiration for Serena for the way she handled the IW fiasco. From that day I knew that if a teenage girl can come out victorious under such hostile circumstances then she will be successful in whatever she does.

With each passing year my love and admiration for these two have gotten stronger and I've been a very happy and proud card carrying Williams fan with no regrets.:hearts: :bounce:

Kipling
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Tracing a path, my favorites, over the years, have been: Chris Evert, Tracy Austin, Maria Sharapova, Tamira Paszek and Aravane Rezai. The commonality is the great fight and mental strength they exhibit. I admire that quality.

More superficially, they're all cuties!

Baldie2k10
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hingis - Her whole game and attitude plus was kinda cute back in the 90's

LUVMIRZA
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Most of TF posters like players because of their looks, nationality or race. They just don't want to admit that they're that shallow so they make up some crap that you can read here.

:help:not everybody is like u

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
The fact that Maria proved to all that she isn't just another Kurnikova but Stood up for herself and Won Wimbledon at the age of 17 Made me believe that Age doesn't matter when it comes to Greatness!!

°°°VaMoS RaFa°°°
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Amélie - her beautiful game and her personality
Timea - I like her since her run at the Zurich-Open
Sam - like her game and attribut
Justine - first I don't like her because her rivaly with Amélie but just before she retired she really grown on me and I like her great game. When she was retired I really missed her
Sveta - her personality and her doubles match with Amélie

VishaalMaria
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Tracing a path, my favorites, over the years, have been: Chris Evert, Tracy Austin, Maria Sharapova, Tamira Paszek and Aravane Rezai. The commonality is the great fight and mental strength they exhibit. I admire that quality.

More superficially, they're all cuties!

Serenas mentally stronger than all of them put together.

vanillalatte
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Her personality and those groundstrokes :hearts:

miffedmax
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Lena is an undiva, the full-body rotation screaming forehand of death, the combination of extreme athleticism and beauty with total doofiness, the perfect honker, the legs, and, of course, the BANGS.

hurricanejeanne
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I think was sealed the deal for me in becoming a Lindsay fan was the sheer fact that she refused to pull out of the US Open in 2003 for the reason that it was the US Open. (Remember, she had a nerve problem in her foot back then that need an operation.) And I just remember sitting there thinking that takes a lot of guts to do. Also, her game was just so natural, she hits with so much effortless pace it's hypnotic. :hearts:

With Victoria it was more of the same. I wouldn't consider Vika as natural as Lindsay, but she has lovely technique and strokes and that's the real appeal for me.

pav
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM
She is always calm and unrattled:sad:

ivanban
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM

:tape:

allrounder
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:00 PM
JJ - Always enjoy watching her classic counterpunching style when she's playing well and her BH is on, not to mention she's also a lovable character :lol:

Vika - Love her fighting spirit and on court intensity and when her game is really on it's a joy to watch. Off court she is a sweet girl too and I like her sense of humour :)

Vesnina - She has a good allcourt game when she decides to use it :help: as a person she's adorable too and maybe a little too nice for her own good :awww: Her "ayaa" grunt is up there with the best grunts on tour :lol:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Unrelenting aggression and risk-taking, the kind of power and winners that make your jaw drop. That's why all my faves are retarded ballbashers with little sense of strategy. Usually using very little spin as well lol. If they're cute/pretty and have unique grunts, that usually fuels how much I like them

Probably stemmed from the fact that I fell in love with Monica Seles' game back in the day. She was just so f***in good at it :hearts:

KournikovaFan91
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:26 PM
The fact that Maria proved to all that she isn't just another Kurnikova but Stood up for herself and Won Wimbledon at the age of 17 Made me believe that Age doesn't matter when it comes to Greatness!!

Please learn how to spell before you bring that dead argument up :o

Anyway I fell in love with

Kournikova - because she got tons of male attention and I just thought "omg what a woman" my homosexual subconscious kicked in when I was 6 :lol:.
Wozniacki - Nice personality
Ivanovic - I needed a Kournikova replacement and she was dark haired (so different) and had a good game (back then).
Sesil - The QUEEN, her FB pics and comments are what make me love her :hearts:
Vika - Just saw her on court and I love her kinda bad attitude
Kirilenko - She's cute
Vera - I empathise with her tantrums :angel:
Cirstea - RG QF :shrug: Thats when I noticed her first
Vesnina - The Grunt

Others in Sig - Just because they look good :lol:

Stimpy
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Safarova: Her name was the first thing I liked, it's just really cool to say (in American). I also love her personality, her cuteness, and fun-to-watch tennis.
Hantuchova: Her name and her legs. Also her niceness.
Kirilenko: She's hot, and nice.
Brengle: I don't know much about her, but her favorite band is Steely Dan, so that automatically puts her in my favs.
All my other favorites are cute/hot and nice.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I know I sometimes root for people because of their name alone :lol:

Like the new Malagasy girl is now my fave Junior :lol:

mmmcaro
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
caroline - because she's zexy and sweet. :lick:

vera - because she's smart, considerate, and passionate. :)
sam - because she plays amazing when she's on, and she's all about the tennis, which is refreshing in this era of players who want to be celebrities.

Stamp Paid
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Most of TF posters like players because of their looks, nationality or race. They just don't want to admit that they're that shallow so they make up some crap that you can read here.Those arent shallow reasons at all. :confused:

Serena is just sexy, ferocious, and passionate (in Grand Slams), and those qualities have just pulled me in and kept me here since June 2002.

kiwifan
Jul 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
They beat the odds and defied all the experts as kids :angel:...

...and then they kicked everyone's asses as adults. :devil:

I've been :rolleyes: about the USTA since the first time I kicked a kid's butt in high school tennis after he bragged about his USTA ranking and thought I must have been a scrub because I never played USTA...

...I grew up a Connors fan...

...so the Williams Sisters are in a way, continuing validation of the Jimmy Connors (taught and coached mainly by Mom and Grandma :eek: ) "us against the world" school of true American tennis champs.

I love the Connors/Williams attitude, "I'm not here to beg for your acceptance and get invited to your tea parties. I'm here to kick your ass and take your trophies!!!"

:cool:

Gallofa
Jul 14th, 2010, 12:19 AM
The many reasons why I like Lisa Raymond (well, ok. The 3 that I can think of right now!):

1) Her tennis :D. Great hands. Aggressive serve 'n volley game. All the shots in the book... and the backhand half-volley too!

2) She's older than me :D. I immediately like any player that is older than me. Or shorter than me.

3) The whole Olympics fiasco. (I know, water under the bridge) She stood up for herself and for what she thought was right. Without calling people names, too. Then, she still played Fed Cup. Wish I could say I would do that if I were in her place.

bwguy
Jul 14th, 2010, 01:24 AM
When I first saw televised interviews of the teenaged Monica Seles, I thought “No way can that charmingly giddy, giggly, rambling, unfocused little stick figure muster the concentration required to succeed on the pro tour.” And then she stepped on the court. Frighteningly ruthless, she clenched her jaw as she bared her teeth awaiting serve, and whacked the cover off the ball, angling it within inches of a line, all behind a grunt that seemed to say “How dare you come back across the net!” The paradox of off-court Monica/on-court Monica was intoxicating. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Caralenko
Jul 14th, 2010, 03:03 AM
How she manages to be such a fierce, imposing, even masculine figure on court - but then she talks in interviews and she's like a sweet little girl. Also I can relate to her headcasey nature.

From Myskina's interview

Dinara calls me and cries cause she read something about herself. and I told her: Don't worry, it doesn't no matter. Just don't give attention on what they wrote.

Presh :sobbing:

Gdsimmons
Jul 14th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Her game is just amazing to watch. I found myself looking at the screen going DAMN at just about every shot!! It was some matches that she played way back when, when I felt sorry for the opponent. She just had this look and the walk that literally could kill. She was and STILL clearly is the best

Nikkiri
Jul 14th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Kirirlenko - Of course the first thing I noticed was how cute she is.. but she never became my fave player till I had watched many of her matches. I think she has a very pretty game, graceful, she has nice volleys, love watching her play doubles, she's a fighter and her personality i think she's funny and very sweet. My fave player before Kiri was Hingis.