PDA

View Full Version : Venus is the only one in the top 10 with no Slam SF

Kworb
Jul 12th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Wow I just noticed this. :eek: Venus you better work it at the US Open because your reputation as a "Slam only" player is in danger.

Serena: USO SF, AO W, Wim W
Jelena: RG SF
Caro: USO F
Sam: RG F
Elena: RG SF
Kim: USO W
Fran: RG W
Vera: Wim F
Na: AO SF

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
JJ didn't have a slam SF too last year, no?:shrug: But she still was in the top 10.

Slutati
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Well she does have that amazing Wimbledon QF.

http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif

*Jool*
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:12 PM
and...none of the top 10 except Serena have reached Slams SF twice in the last 4 Slams???

this tour is a joke :o

sammy01
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:21 PM
JJ didn't have a slam SF too last year, no?:shrug: But she still was in the top 10.

and jj has never got any stick for her lack of grand slam results ever :p

VishaalMaria
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:29 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Too funny!

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:37 PM
and...none of the top 10 except Serena have reached Slams SF twice in the last 4 Slams???

What makes this a joke? The word is parity. Remember there are only 16 semifinal spots up for grabs over the course of a year. Fact is 12 of them have gone to players in the top 10 and aside from the world number one those places have been distributed pretty evenly.

Once again what makes this a joke? Would it make you happier if the top 4 all reached each of the 4 semifinals? Is that really what you want?

Slutiana
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:42 PM
What makes this a joke? The word is parity. Remember there are only 16 semifinal spots up for grabs over the course of a year. Fact is 12 of them have gone to players in the top 10 and aside from the world number one those places have been distributed pretty evenly.

Once again what makes this a joke? Would it make you happier if the top 4 all reached each of the 4 semifinals? Is that really what you want?
Or inconsistency. All the top 10 players are so inconsistent nowadays, it's ridiculous. They're meant to be the best players in the world, but if they can hardly string two good tournaments together then it defeats the point, no?

Fantasy Hero
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:43 PM

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

Aravanecaravan
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Or inconsistency. All the top 10 players are so inconsistent nowadays, it's ridiculous. They're meant to be the best players in the world, but if they can hardly string two good tournaments together then it defeats the point, no?

I think what it says is that rolling 12 month rankings are irrelevant when you're talking about who the best players in the world are at the present time.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Wow I just noticed this. :eek: Venus you better work it at the US Open because your reputation as a "Slam only" player is in danger.

Serena: USO SF, AO W, Wim W
Jelena: RG SF
Caro: USO F
Sam: RG F
Elena: RG SF
Kim: USO W
Fran: RG W
Vera: Wim F
Na: AO SF

So nice seeing people giving their all to win another TWAT battle:worship:
Wish you both good luck next round:rolleyes:
P.S You have my vote!

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM

What we have right now is a top 10 in which every single one of them is capable of reaching a Grand Slam semi and with the exception of Venus, who is certainly capable as well, has done so in the last year.

Consistency? You want consistency? You want to go back to the days of Evert and Navratilova when you could almost put the top 4 into the semi finals without having to play their matches. Is that really better?

Sure everyone is inconsistent. Sure pretty much everyone these days can lose to a lower ranked player at any time as well as beat a higher ranked player. I think this is good. It means everyone is capable of playing well and if you have an off day chances are you won't get away with it.

Is it better to know in advance that player A is too consistent and good for player B and is sure to win and in fact is pretty sure to win the tournament because she is so much better than everyone else? If that was the case then why even watch the matches? The only way predictable consistency is preferable to what we have now is if you are a gambler.

sweetpeas
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Venus has 7single slams!Hall of fame...

*Jool*
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:31 PM

first of all , sorry, coz I'm no good at arguing lol so....in my eyes...

2010 WTA top 10 = a joke in comparison to say , 1995 Top 10 when I was fondly following tennis, or even 2000 Top 10 .
(Normal , since money/sponsors has invaded the sports so much and nowadays the chicks get more money by having a nice smile rather than sweating their hearts on court .
Of course I'm exaggerating it (as often ) but you get my point . )

and it's not a question of me being happy :lol: I could care less about slams SFists you know, my whole life isn't focused on tennis results ;)

a joke maybe was a bit too harsh of a word, but come on ...isn't it a shame that the so-called top players who are supposed to battle for Slams finals spots , barely if ever reach one Slam SF the whole year ?
[I could also ask : does it really make you happy to see the likes of Kvitova, Bartoli, Pironkova (no offense to them , but come on ...) contend for Slams ? (of course you could argue that in 90s the likes of Werdel , McGrath ... also reached Slams SF) ]
Consistency on WTA Tour is gone . and I think it's a shame . and that's why I somehow started to support Serena Williams

ditto .

toby345
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:43 PM

This reminds me of Semipova :sobbing:
Those were times where you could say which 8 players would make it to QF, and not bomb out early..

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
first of all , sorry, coz I'm no good at arguing lol so....in my eyes...

2010 WTA top 10 = a joke in comparison to say , 1995 Top 10 when I was fondly following tennis, or even 2000 Top 10 .
(Normal , since money/sponsors has invaded the sports so much and nowadays the chicks get more money by having a nice smile rather than sweating their hearts on court .
Of course I'm exaggerating it (as often ) but you get my point . )

and it's not a question of me being happy :lol: I could care less about slams SFists you know, my whole life isn't focused on tennis results ;)

a joke maybe was a bit too harsh of a word, but come on ...isn't it a shame that the so-called top players who are supposed to battle for Slams finals spots , barely if ever reach one Slam SF the whole year ?
[I could also ask : does it really make you happy to see the likes of Kvitova, Bartoli, Pironkova (no offense to them , but come on ...) contend for Slams ? (of course you could argue that in 90s the likes of Werdel , McGrath ... also reached Slams SF) ]
Consistency on WTA Tour is gone . and I think it's a shame . and that's why I somehow started to support Serena Williams

ditto .

Thing is there are ONLY sixteen Grand Slam semifinal spots available every year. There is not enough spots for the all the top players to be regularly winning Grand Slam semi finals. 16 spots a year is all there is for the lot of them. How would you like to see them distributed then. And I don't mean by players, I mean by rankings. Would you like to see say 12 of the 16 spots go to the top 4 perhaps. Tell me. What do you think would be a better distribution of the 16 semifinal places that what we have now.

Right now we have a top 10 where everyone is capable of reaching a Semi. Maybe that's a bad thing. Okay. What would be better than?

And anyway barely if ever is just WRONG. Fact is 90% of them HAVE reached a semi in the last year.

Mightymirza
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:00 PM

And I am sure she got enough crap for that :lol:

treufreund
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Venus has faced a lot of very very soft draws this year. Several of those were rightly punished by Jankovic, Clijsters, Rezai, etc later on in the tourneys. She is not really the 3rd best player IMO but she earned her points and so be it.

Slutiana
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Consistency? You want consistency? You want to go back to the days of Evert and Navratilova when you could almost put the top 4 into the semi finals without having to play their matches. Is that really better?

Sure everyone is inconsistent. Sure pretty much everyone these days can lose to a lower ranked player at any time as well as beat a higher ranked player. I think this is good. It means everyone is capable of playing well and if you have an off day chances are you won't get away with it.

Is it better to know in advance that player A is too consistent and good for player B and is sure to win and in fact is pretty sure to win the tournament because she is so much better than everyone else? If that was the case then why even watch the matches? The only way predictable consistency is preferable to what we have now is if you are a gambler.
The problem is that this inconsistency is caused by the fact that the elite players are unable to go two weeks without playing a match where they hit 97 errors and are dumped out of a tournament. If these upsets were caused by lower ranked or younger players stepping up and simply outplaying their higher-ranked opponents then I would be more than happy.

I, like you, have a lot of lower-ranked favourites who I enjoy watching and cheer on against top players. But I just miss sitting down and watching a gripping and memorable match between two elite players playing elite tennis. I miss gasping at the shotmaking of players and being completely glued to my seat, paralysed with excitement. The only match in the last year and a half that even comes close to filling that criteria for me was the match between Dementieva and Serena at Wimbledon last year, and I just think it's sad.

50Sense
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM

:lol: I'm sorry but that was funny...

Mixal
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
The problem is that this inconsistency is caused by the fact that the elite players are unable to go two weeks without playing a match where they hit 97 errors and are dumped out of a tournament. If these upsets were caused by lower ranked or younger players stepping up and simply outplaying their higher-ranked opponents then I would be more than happy.

I, like you, have a lot of lower-ranked favourites who I enjoy watching and cheer on against top players. But I just miss sitting down and watching a gripping and memorable match between two elite players playing elite tennis. I miss gasping at the shotmaking of players and being completely glued to my seat, paralysed with excitement. The only match in the last year and a half that even comes close to filling that criteria for me was the match between Dementieva and Serena at Wimbledon last year, and I just think it's sad.

I agree, I think most people are upset that players like Henin, Sharapova, Clijsters, Venus etc. who have (had? :tape:) a far superior game to let's say Schiavone, Kanepi etc. play like shit very often, and they finally lose to a player who doesn't choke, who goes on to fully take advantage of the draw, instead of a reverse situation. All in all, the quality just sucks...

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Okay. That's fair enough.

I have to say personally I don't need elite players to get those feelings and I still get those giddy excited moments as much as I ever did, maybe more. I do miss MJMS right now, because for me watching her play provides me with more entertainment then anyone else on the tour. But even with her out I still manage to find loads of matches that leave me full of adrenaline and satisfaction. My two favourite matches at Wimbledon this year were between Baltacha and Martic, and Pironkova and Bartoli. Both great matches that reminded me of all the reasons I love this sport.

I don't know. I'm just not into star power I suppose. If you had a look at my CD collection you would see 1000s of CDs but very few by what would be considered commercially successful artists. Just as my idea of great rock music isn't U2 or Oasis and my idea of a great movie isn't Avatar, my idea of a great tennis match doesn't have to involve players from the elite of the game either.

$uricate
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Its ok, after USO Caro will be joining her :hug:

bandabou
Jul 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Ouch Vee! Wow..Hmm but Vee's last SF outside of Wimbledon is '07 u.s.open, no?! Ai mama.

Matt01
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Its ok, after USO Caro will be joining her :hug:

That could happen, yeah :lol:

VishaalMaria
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Ouch Vee! Wow..Hmm but Vee's last SF outside of Wimbledon is '07 u.s.open, no?! Ai mama.

You should be banned for drawing attention to that! Banned i tell YOU! :lol::lol::lol:

Kworb
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:32 PM

Yes since AO 2003 she has reached only one non-Wimbledon Slam SF.

Marty-Dom
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:36 PM

I hope Venus sees this and gets really pissed- so that she plays with some anger and purpose this USO.

SerenaSlam
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Yes since AO 2003 she has reached only one non-Wimbledon Slam SF.

ha! good point! yet we want to talk about the past year? tuh! :confused:

aisha
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:05 PM
If she somehow reached number one without making a GS SF..... :scared:

wouldrichest
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:33 PM
What we have right now is a top 10 in which every single one of them is capable of reaching a Grand Slam semi and with the exception of Venus, who is certainly capable as well, has done so in the last year.

AcesHigh
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM

I hate you for that but I must admit.. it's pretty damn funny :lol:

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Really??? Is that so? I had no idea. Honestly.

:angel:

CoolDude7
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Venus is highly inconsistent. It's amazing what she has been able to do with her career. When you think of all the best players.. she is really one of the only ones that is hit or miss... and I am talking about players with 7 or more slams.

Midnight_Robber
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:04 AM
The reason why she is being singled out this year is that there is this 'perception' that she has been highly consistent - and in a way, she has been. But it's been a mediocre consistency and not the kind of consistency that denoted "number 2 player in the world". It's not at all unreasonable to expect someone with that ranking to at least reach a slam SF or final. Last year she didn't have the ranking, but at least she had the slam final. With the way this year is going? :rolleyes:

Also have to agree that she has never been that consistent at slams anyway, and given her schedule currently seems to be playing more for the tour than to have a serious run at the slams.

Also agree that she's been having these incredibly soft draws. To be fair, they're not her fault but - they're not to her advantage either and like most players who keep getting cakewalk after cakewalk they eventually catch up with her. The draw matters a lot more than people think. A line of easy, sub-par opponents and then the minute she comes across a halfway decent opponent who is playing well? Goodnight. Either that, or she flames out completely and can't keep the ball in play.

Very few of the slams she's actually won were because she waltzed through a cakewalk and I think that like most players she might benefit from a draw that isn't necessarily the draw from hell, but one that was more substantial than what she's been getting, thus far. I'm not saying that she won't blow a tough draw either, but that with a tough draw at least you don't get to coast. Either you play well or you go out early. So no, the WTAs inability to produce 2 strong, competitive halves of the draw (with her inevitably falling in the much weaker section) isn't doing her or her game ANY favours at all, and she's rarely ever been the type of player who capitalises on weak draws at slams.

Hoping for the best at the USO, but if she brings the same type of play that she's been bringing for most of the year (except the odd match, and the whole of Dubai) then we can expect similar results.

Infiniti2001
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Venus is 30 years old now. As a diehard fan I'm just happy she she hasn't thrown in the towel. No SF slam appearance, but she's the 2nd highest earner on tour so far this year. Not too bad at all :shrug:

Loungy
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I don't know. I'm just not into star power I suppose. If you had a look at my CD collection you would see 1000s of CDs but very few by what would be considered commercially successful artists. Just as my idea of great rock music isn't U2 or Oasis and my idea of a great movie isn't Avatar, my idea of a great tennis match doesn't have to involve players from the elite of the game either.
That's a terrible analogy. Commercial success in the music and movie industries have very little to do with skills, completely different to what it means being elite in a sport. A non-subjective sport like tennis, to boot.

Serena x Dementieva last year wasn't good because of their star power, it was good because two elite players were showing the elite skills that only they have and that set them above the rest. It's a level that lower ranked players, even when at their best, can't reach. I think that is the level some people miss. (I'm including myself in this.)

MajesticVenus
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Venus is in the top 10 because of the consistency she has had during all this year, just like some of the other players of the top 10. The rest did great at one slam. Anyways, then I must say that I prefer Venus having no Slam SF this year and having 7 Slams, than going beyond the SF and having NO slam like most of the top 10. Of course, I'm not including in this Serena because clearly she has proven that she deserves to be Number 1.

Jaco·He
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:34 AM
and Wozniacki

Pops Maellard
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Venus needs cake draws in 2010 and loses to the first good player she faces. And she can't even manage that sometimes, like at Wimbledon.

http://www.thenichezone.com/images/people/britney_cryingT.jpg

Jaco·He
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Jelena+Caro+Sam+Elena+Kim+Fran+Vera+Na=3GS
venus=7GS

Jaco·He
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Jelena+Caro+Sam+Elena++Vera+Na=0

Pops Maellard
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Jelena+Caro+Sam+Elena+Kim+Fran+Vera+Na=3GS
venus=7GS
Yeah we get it. Right now she's resting on her laurels though.

Jaco·He
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Grand Slam is more important than all

Paneru
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Looks like Venus will be winning another Slam soon, get down on her and she'll rise.

Never fails. :cool:

Pops Maellard
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Looks like Venus will be winning another Slam soon, get down on her and she'll rise.

Never fails. :cool:
Then she should've won one after AO, FO last year. :shrug: :p

mdterp01
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM
And besides her sister, who else in the top 10 has more majors than Venus? Exactly!!!

http://i44.tinypic.com/8yguol.gif

Jajaloo
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Errr, she won Acapulco :bowdown:

Pops Maellard
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Caro will join her soon as someone pointed out. :kiss:

Midnight_Robber
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:49 AM
:) @ Mdter01 and Infiniti. That's all true too and I agree. I'd personally love for her to pick it up and start to play better, but the reality is if she went out with 7 she'd still have had a good career. But if she could add to that count - and soon - I'm sure that even her more satisfied fans wouldn't say "no". ;) :lol:

Andy funny thing is that I missed Lena D. at this year's Wimbledon actually. At least she's bought a high standard of play there for the last two years.

Pops Maellard
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:52 AM
:) @ Mdter01 and Infiniti. That's all true too and I agree. I'd personally love for her to pick it up and start to play better, but the reality is if she went out with 7 she'd still have had a good career. But if she could add to that count - and soon - I'm sure that even her more satisfied fans wouldn't say "no". ;) :lol:

Andy funny thing is that I missed Lena D. at this year's Wimbledon actually. At least she's bought a high standard of play there for the last two years.
http://blog.muchmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/update-high-five.gif

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 13th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Errr, she won Acapulco :bowdown:

and Dubai in a row.;)

Paneru
Jul 13th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Then she should've won one after AO, FO last year. :shrug: :p

Is what it is.

Venus always rises again, and will have many eating crow per usual.

aisha
Jul 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM
^ I can see her pulling an '02 Pete Sampras at the Open. :scared:

That would shut everybody up, wouldn't it? :devil: :speakles:

Tech1
Jul 13th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Venus is the only one in the top 10 with 5 Venus Rosewater trophies.

Beat
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:13 AM
your reputation as a "Slam only" player is in danger.

did she ever have such a reputation? the last time she won more than one slam in one year was ... 9 years ago.

Sp!ffy
Jul 13th, 2010, 08:51 AM
And besides her sister, who else in the top 10 has more majors than Venus? Exactly!!!

http://i44.tinypic.com/8yguol.gif

Seles has more slams than Venus, does that mean she should be in the top 5? Rankings do not represent levels of success throughout one's career. Rather, it is suppose to represent current results. Those 7 GS are irrelevant in the talk of RANKINGS.

In fact, within the the last year.
Serena = 3
Fran = 1
Kim = 1
Vee = 0

So all this mumbo jumbo Venus = 7, the rest = 3 is completely irrelevant.

Sharapowerr
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Some players , in the top 10 are gonna dissapear soon, and make space for the others

Wozniacki
Schiavone
Stosur

will definetelly be goons soon, Henin and Sharapova , will be back in the top 10, that s better quality as its now, and it's good that the first one is out "Radwanska" she shouldn't be there.

duhcity
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Some players , in the top 10 are gonna dissapear soon, and make space for the others

Wozniacki
Schiavone
Stosur

will definetelly be goons soon, Henin and Sharapova , will be back in the top 10, that s better quality as its now, and it's good that the first one is out "Radwanska" she shouldn't be there.

No US Open Series, No US Open, defending a Brisbane and AO Final in January.
Goodluck to her top 10 dreams.

And honestly, Sharapova played well at Wimbledon and for a set and a half at the French. Wozniacki, Schiavone, Stosur, and Radwanska all have played better tennis over the last year. To think that Sharapova deserves to be above them is ridiculous.

And Venus. Should've been an AO Semifinalist. She didn't deserve to be in the Wimby SF to be honest. The tennis she played in the Pironkova match was outside the top 50 level.

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:45 AM
You should be banned for drawing attention to that! Banned i tell YOU! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Sorry...just came to the mind. Shame on you, Vee!

StephenUK
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Venus got the world no 2 ranking earlier this year through consistent performances in WTA events; her results were frankly more Venuziacki than Venus and it was more due to the poor performances of her top 5 rivals - Safina, Kuzy, Woz, JJ that she got that ranking, she is far inferior to 2008 Venus with a Wimbledon and a WTA Champs! Generally speaking, she often doesn't make semis in the other slams but this year Wimbledon has let her down very badly. It'll be interesting to see how she performs the rest of the year; one notable trend has been the straight sets maulings she has had in the last 5 events she has played, which is probably her worst run of such losses in her career.

The fact remains that even this substandard Venus has got a good shot at a US Open semi this year unless we got another group of unknowns plus Serena in the final four again.

HippityHop
Jul 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM

No, it wouldn't. The trolls would find something else to bitch about.

50Sense
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM

You realize he never played another tennis match after that, correct?

spencercarlos
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Is what it is.

Venus always rises again, and will have many eating crow per usual.
You better hope for that. There will be one time, where she finally won´t rise "again" like you say. It´s the nature of life.

Still Venus probably has one/two more slams in her.

Anyway it´s been some kind of justice to Serena that Venus did not do well at Wimbledon. Afterall each of the past two years Venus has been with clear chances to grab the top spot, despite Serena has been the one winning and holding 2-3 slams all the way at the time, and Venus has had some really sub part showings at the other slams...

Dodoboy.
Jul 13th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I think we're focusing on the wrong thing, that's quite an impressive top 10, no? Does this happen often where 9/10 players have a SF on their ranking?

Sammy Stones
Jul 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I think we're focusing on the wrong thing, that's quite an impressive top 10, no? Does this happen often where 9/10 players have a SF on their ranking?

very impressive indeed. that's a tough top 10 right there.

and now you have to ask: is venus single-handedly ruining the wta? and serena fixing it? is venus the black sheep and serena the white goat? etc. this is fodder for weeks of endless TF thread trolling.

Sp!ffy
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
No US Open Series, No US Open, defending a Brisbane and AO Final in January.
Goodluck to her top 10 dreams.

And honestly, Sharapova played well at Wimbledon and for a set and a half at the French. Wozniacki, Schiavone, Stosur, and Radwanska all have played better tennis over the last year. To think that Sharapova deserves to be above them is ridiculous.

And Venus. Should've been an AO Semifinalist. She didn't deserve to be in the Wimby SF to be honest. The tennis she played in the Pironkova match was outside the top 50 level.

Stosur and Schiavone both lost in the 1st round at Wimbledon--thats not top 10 material. I know Sharapova lost in the 1st round at the AO but no one was saying she should have been in the top 10 then.

TennisFan66
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Wozniacki
Schiavone
Stosur

Well, we'll see about them 3 above disappearing. So far they are 4,6 and 8 in the RACE, so they're all unlikely to disappear that much :lol: Caro is the lowest in the race, but even her current points tally of about 3,000 is enough to be top 20 in the 52 week rolling ranking.

Henin is unfortunately injured and wont be back before AFTER USO at the earliest .. Sucks for her and her fans for sure.
Masha, whom I personally has the highest of regards for, is No 31 in the RACE with 1,290 points. Like any player on tour, she needs to win points to justify a higher ranking. It really is as simple as that.

As for other issues discussed here. I doubt the people who moan about the tour is old enough to have been through the early times of Chris Evert and Martina N. There were two players in the world. Period. Rest were club players in comparison, so you only had to tune in for the final. You knew who was gonna play anyway. Is that what you want? ..

IMO the current crop of players are so far ahead of even the 90's (bar Graf, perhaps Hingis. Not sure). Like in all sports, the improvement in standards continue and will do so. Why you also see No 100 being relatively more competitive Vs No 1 than ever before.

But by all means. Lets moan and sulk about it a little bit more and dream about the 'good old days' and players we miss. Or we could accept reality and move forward? ... Neeeeeeeh, lets moan some more and find a 30 second clip on youtube to prove the point :lol:

winone23
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Unlike most top ten players Venus is not chasing her first slam final or slam win. Venus has nothing to prove she's won slams before and has been in numerous finals. She'll be back it's only a matter of time.

Slutiana
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:09 PM
That's a terrible analogy. Commercial success in the music and movie industries have very little to do with skills, completely different to what it means being elite in a sport. A non-subjective sport like tennis, to boot.

Serena x Dementieva last year wasn't good because of their star power, it was good because two elite players were showing the elite skills that only they have and that set them above the rest. It's a level that lower ranked players, even when at their best, can't reach. I think that is the level some people miss. (I'm including myself in this.)
Yeah. It's not about the star players, it's about good tennis and great matches. And as long as the top players are stinking up the court, we're just not going to get very much of that at all.

Matt01
Jul 14th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Stosur and Schiavone both lost in the 1st round at Wimbledon--thats not top 10 material.

Since when does one bad loss cause a player not to be Top 10 material anymore? They both reached a Slam final before Wimbledon. Sharapova can only dream of such a result currently.

narutos
Jul 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Since when does one bad loss cause a player not to be Top 10 material anymore? They both reached a Slam final before Wimbledon. Sharapova can only dream of such a result currently.

Matthew, Matthew :lol: :lol:
Anyway it's not surprising Venus is 30 years old now it's become difficult for her now even though she is not talking about retirement I think she is thinking about that.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Well....in her defense, she lost in two QFs and two R16s.

In two of those matches, she was in a winning position, but couldn't pull the trigger. In 3 of the 4 losses, she lost to players who have been in the top 10.

So it's not like she's consistently being beaten by journeywomen.

Addendum: Upon further review, only Venus, Caroline, and Serena have lost no earlier than the 4RD at any of the last 4 majors.

terjw
Jul 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Well, we'll see about them 3 above disappearing. So far they are 4,6 and 8 in the RACE, so they're all unlikely to disappear that much :lol: Caro is the lowest in the race, but even her current points tally of about 3,000 is enough to be top 20 in the 52 week rolling ranking.

Henin is unfortunately injured and wont be back before AFTER USO at the earliest .. Sucks for her and her fans for sure.
Masha, whom I personally has the highest of regards for, is No 31 in the RACE with 1,290 points. Like any player on tour, she needs to win points to justify a higher ranking. It really is as simple as that.

As for other issues discussed here. I doubt the people who moan about the tour is old enough to have been through the early times of Chris Evert and Martina N. There were two players in the world. Period. Rest were club players in comparison, so you only had to tune in for the final. You knew who was gonna play anyway. Is that what you want? ..

IMO the current crop of players are so far ahead of even the 90's (bar Graf, perhaps Hingis. Not sure). Like in all sports, the improvement in standards continue and will do so. Why you also see No 100 being relatively more competitive Vs No 1 than ever before.

But by all means. Lets moan and sulk about it a little bit more and dream about the 'good old days' and players we miss. Or we could accept reality and move forward? ... Neeeeeeeh, lets moan some more and find a 30 second clip on youtube to prove the point :lol:

:worship::worship: Exactly.

On the subject of Venus herself - it's no big deal compared to the eight only making a SF once. All it really says is that Venus has been underperforming a bit in the slams this last year compared to what you'd expect. She's also been underperforming in finals lately in big WTA tournaments.

The Witch-king
Jul 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Well....in her defense, she lost in two QFs and two R16s.

In two of those matches, she was in a winning position, but couldn't pull the trigger. In 3 of the 4 losses, she lost to players who have been in the top 10.

So it's not like she's consistently being beaten by journeywomen.

Addendum: Upon further review, only Venus, Caroline, and Serena have lost no earlier than the 4RD at any of the last 4 majors.

in all 4 of them she had chances to win. :shrug:

Matt01
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Matthew, Matthew :lol: :lol:
Anyway it's not surprising Venus is 30 years old now it's become difficult for her now even though she is not talking about retirement I think she is thinking about that.

I don't think it's the age that is Venus' problem, she is still fast and moves well. It's more because of her game (read: groundstrokes and serve) which is not that good anymore compared to the other players...from 2000 till 2002 she was quite consistant (even though her 2nd serve was a mess already in 2002) but from 2004 on she's never been the same again :sad:

Matt01
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:25 PM
in all 4 of them she had chances to win. :shrug:

Against Pironkova she had chances to win? When?

Sp!ffy
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM

What's the point of dragging Sharapova into this? Sharapova lost to Serena Williams at Wimbledon. Schiavone lost to Dushevina and Stosur lost to Kanepi :lol::haha: Sharapova could have easily had made the final would it be that she was on the other side of the draw. And Sharapova's accomplishments will kick Stosur's and Schiavone's in the fucking ass so shut up. :lol:

Matt01
Jul 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
What's the point of dragging Sharapova into this? Sharapova lost to Serena Williams at Wimbledon. Schiavone lost to Dushevina and Stosur lost to Kanepi :lol::haha: Sharapova could have easily had made the final would it be that she was on the other side of the draw. And Sharapova's accomplishments will kick Stosur's and Schiavone's in the fucking ass so shut up. :lol:

She also could have lost as soon as she had met a top 40 player :wavey:

Nicolás89
Jul 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
What a strong top 10.

Sp!ffy
Jul 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Everything you say oozes with stupidity.

Matt01
Jul 14th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Everything you say oozes with stupidity.

Saying that Pova could have lost to a top 40 player is not more stupid than saying that she could have reached the final. :shrug:

V's a star
Jul 14th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I don't think it's the age that is Venus' problem, she is still fast and moves well. It's more because of her game (read: groundstrokes and serve) which is not that good anymore compared to the other players...from 2000 till 2002 she was quite consistant (even though her 2nd serve was a mess already in 2002) but from 2004 on she's never been the same again :sad:

I agree age isnt a problem so far. Still as fast as anyone, it isnt contributing to various injuries yet etc. But i dont think it is strokes that are the problem. Shes improved them a lot since returning in 2007.

Its her damn insane mind! Like i always say lol. To me its always seemed since day 1 with Venus its about whether she can stay mentally tough and confident through the match to keep everything in check and flowing if she does that she wins like 95% of the time. But since 2003 she hasnt done this nearly as well not even comparable, just sooo much CHOKING everywhere and this year shes also developed extreme passive play like AO RG cud even say sum of the Madird final.

After this years loses particularly at GS and in particular AO that was just the most pathetic thing ive seen from an elite player (and this is after USO 08!!) it really pains me to say that but its the truth. It has become undoubtedly clear to me (tried to deny it for a few years now) That Venus just doesn't truly believe in herself. Simply since returning in 2004 shes never been the same player mentally and who could blame her. I think now its clear the cause of this was the Serena slam. Losing basically 5 slam finals in a row ur little sister!! must have been devastating beyond words. Lets just go through those finals form Venus' perspective:

2002 RG played like absolute shit, Wimbledon cud barley serve over a 100 mph by the time the final came, 2002 USO played like shit Serena was good though. 2003 AO great match had a chance to win the 1st at 5-4 but recovered in the second and then at 5-4 in the 3rd missed a bunch of crazy forehands and double faulted :sad: Then Wimbledon came along and everyone said she had this look back in her eyes etc and was playing so great finally going to redeem her name. Then she ripped her abdominal muscle and had to play a final she knew she wud loose.:sobbing: DEVASTATING

Ughh i know im such a downer after Wimbledon guys lol cant help it. But like always i fully believe in her abilities with what god has given her should
she shud have dominated the tour for many more years. Its her mind that makes me doubt her. Im hoping she can grab a win this summer before the USO wud be the 1st since 2002 and that cud maybe make give her the confidence and belief to stop choking so horribly at the USO year after year.

Sp!ffy
Jul 14th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Saying that Pova could have lost to a top 40 player is not more stupid than saying that she could have reached the final. :shrug:

You and I both know Sharapova could defeat many top 40 players as of right NOW. Did you watch the Sharapova-Serena match? You honestly think that any of the top 40 players could have defeated her? :rolleyes:

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Isn't Vee the only player in the top 10 with 5 Wimbys?

She deserves a little more respect from posters in this thread whose faves haven't achieved a fraction as much.

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 14th, 2010, 11:11 PM

OMFG:worship::worship::worship::worship:

Pops Maellard
Jul 15th, 2010, 12:26 AM
You and I both know Sharapova could defeat many top 40 players as of right NOW. Did you watch the Sharapova-Serena match? You honestly think that any of the top 40 players could have defeated her? :rolleyes:
I reckon Masha would've beat Venus if she'd got her instead of Serena.

Matt01
Jul 15th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I reckon Masha would've beat Venus if she'd got her instead of Serena.

She probably would have had some problems with Pironkova, though...

spencercarlos
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:18 AM
You know what? yesterday I was watching the Usopen 2000 SF between Hingis and Venus, and basically Venus still then hit tons of forehand errors, silly return misses, and some double faults on key points.

Difference from then to today is stamina, quickness, i don´t know how to explain it. Venus was quick as a gazelle, and also she was able to impose herself phisically much better than today...

aisha
Jul 15th, 2010, 03:55 AM

She deserves a little more respect from posters in this thread whose faves haven't achieved a fraction as much.

My first ever "This." :bounce::lol:

Infiniti2001
Jul 15th, 2010, 04:10 AM

Nah, I doubt Venus gives a rat's ass ... She's out enjoying her life... Her book tour in now in California---Today she addressed graduates of Los Angeles job corps. Check Getty Images or her picture thread in her forum to see how happy she looks.

Pops Maellard
Jul 15th, 2010, 04:14 AM

Can't speak for others but I say annoyed things about Venus because it seems like she could be doing better than she is.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 15th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Nah, I doubt Venus gives a rat's ass ... She's out enjoying her life... Her book tour in now in California---Today she addressed graduates of Los Angeles job corps. Check Getty Images or her picture thread in her forum to see how happy she looks.
My post had nothing to do with Vee's happiness. :shrug:

Infiniti2001
Jul 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
My post had nothing to do with Vee's happiness. :shrug:

I know that... However to me, respect from posters who will dislike her no matter what is meaningless :shrug:

sammy01
Jul 15th, 2010, 11:36 AM

but her 5 wimbledons have nothing to do with her ranking as it is the last 52 weeks that ranking are based on, and this thread.

Baselinebasher
Jul 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I honestly think she's done winning slams. Just too many players who can punish her inconsistency. She'll still make decent runs, maybe win a few tournaments. But her "big" career looks to be over. Maybe she'll surprise us and grab another Wimbledon, though. With WTA anything is possible.

Sp!ffy
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:08 AM
She probably would have had some problems with Pironkova, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-9CC4HZgMI
Mhm, real trouble.

Pops Maellard
Jul 16th, 2010, 01:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-9CC4HZgMI
Mhm, real trouble.
:drool: Too bad she couldn't play like that against Oudin. :rolleyes:

Craig.
Jul 16th, 2010, 02:01 AM

Oh dear.

And you call other posters trolls :tape:

spiritedenergy
Jul 16th, 2010, 02:36 AM

:happy:

really, right now stosur and schiavone >>>> sharapova, no need to try to throw dirt at them to defend her:o

Sp!ffy
Jul 16th, 2010, 02:59 AM
:drool: Too bad she couldn't play like that against Oudin. :rolleyes:

It's okay.

US OPEN 2010
1R : 10 M. Sharapova def. M. Oudin 6-0 6-0

Carotastrophe
Jul 16th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Venus :o

Matt01
Jul 16th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Oh dear.