PDA

View Full Version : Why do these Clay MMs have such good livestreams?

Dodoboy.
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I'm not COMPLAINING, but seriously. When it comes to the USO series and other parts of the year we are scrounging for streams, but these 4 Clay MMs after Wimbledon seem to have fantastic coverage. What's the deal?

Aaron.
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
:lol: I was thinking the same thing

Meelis
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Bigger tournaments have exclusive deals.

edificio
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Definitely the US Open series will have lousy to no coverage at all. I'm watching the qualies in Prague! Even Monterrey had a good stream in the spring. These U.S. sports sites/stations/whatever need to step it up.

serenus_2k8
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Its so weird :lol:

young_gunner913
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Exactly!! :o Even some of the bigger tournaments like IW have shit coverage compared to these MM's.

Elisse
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Totally agree with the thread starter...and it's great that most of the Italian ITF's have great streams also!! There was even a stream from the Tashkent Open (via Bet365) last year (the players couldn't even get a copy of the semis/final matches from the tournament but I could here in the UK :lol: )

Yet the bigger, higher value tournaments have piss poor streaming and coverage :o And to make it worse...some of them have awful websites too :help: I know some of them have exclusivity deals with certain channels...but honestly, if they want to promote the tournament to the wider world and encourage people to attend the tourney..surely it would be smarter to provide some sort of streams/coverage online to promote it better.

sammy01
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
the more annoying thing for me is why are they on clay?

what possible reason is there for having 4 more MM clay torunaments straight after wimbledon. it is hardcourt/indoor season for the rest of the year now yet you get girls with low rankings having to go from grass to clay to hardcourts. these 4 MM clay tourns tell you nothing about form going into the us open series, it is just clay court players battling for extra points to boost their rankings.

sammy01
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM
the streams are so good because there isn't tv stations who have the rights to the matches.

Dodoboy.
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM

what possible reason is there for having 4 more MM clay torunaments straight after wimbledon. it is hardcourt/indoor season for the rest of the year now yet you get girls with low rankings having to go from grass to clay to hardcourts. these 4 MM clay tourns tell you nothing about form going into the us open series, it is just clay court players battling for extra points to boost their rankings.

Don't even get me started on this! So so frustrating!

pwayne
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Great question by the thread starter as I was able to see Bastad and Budapest with little problems but when it comes to the US streams, different situation.

Kipling
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:14 PM
My local challenger, in Indian Harbour Beach, has an incredible livestream, even featuring a "fan cam". It's not that difficult to set up. The facilities all have the ability to do it--but as mentioned, TV rights deals screw with that. There's no reason Miami, for instance, should not be showing a minimum of three courts every day, but they won't even uncover the cameras on court 1 until the second week. It was the same at Ponte Vedra--they could have showed coverage from the stadium court all week if not for the Tennis Channel's contract.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
all MM have TV coverage on Bet streams :bounce:

wish all WTA had live streams, all the ATP events are on bet streams all week.

Gregorio87
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Not again...
Please, the whole year is about hardcourt tournaments. This two week is the part of the european clay season and it's on clay because most european countries have more claycourts.
Be a bit patient and you will get tons of hard with the USO and YEC too.

About the TVcoverage. It's just because the big stupid channels like Eurosport and ESPN, they buy the rights and just show the later matches. They don't care about the 4 MM events, but we get streams.

Elisse
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Besides the American big tournies being bad for coverage, the main European one that coverage stinks is Madrid Open :help:

Madrid have cameras on all the big courts - Centre, Court 2, Court 3....but on Court 2 & 3 they don't even bother to record the matches until the later stages of the tournament....so for example this year, when Sharapova and Henin both got knocked out in R1, the matches weren't even recorded, so the tournament itself doesn't even have a copy of the matches because they were never recorded in the first place....pathetic for such a big expensive tournament :o (and especially one that tout itself like it's the 5th Slam lol)

btw - There are webcams on nearly all the courts at Madrid being broadcast to the press areas, but none of them are recorded or broadcast outside that area.....

serenus_2k8
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:31 PM
They should just hack money off the prize money and invest it in streaming so that tennis picks up some fans. Then once the players start filling the stadiums regularly they can reward them by tipping the balance back.

sammy01
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Not again...
Please, the whole year is about hardcourt tournaments. This two week is the part of the european clay season and it's on clay because most european countries have more claycourts.
Be a bit patient and you will get tons of hard with the USO and YEC too.

About the TVcoverage. It's just because the big stupid channels like Eurosport and ESPN, they buy the rights and just show the later matches. They don't care about the 4 MM events, but we get streams.

hardcourts are a neutral surface, this european clay court season lasts forever. i mean if you take clay as a whole it starts the weeks before IW, then straight away again after miami, then straight away again after wimbledon. and thats just on top of the nearly 2 month long main clay court season

young_gunner913
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:39 PM

If it wasn't for these tournaments, Jokes wouldn't have anywhere to win a match. :devil:

sammy01
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM
If it wasn't for these tournaments, Jokes wouldn't have anywhere to win a match. :devil:

then she'd be like ugly queen beth :sad:

A_Skywalker
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Because they need more fans, putting live streams means a lot of people will follow it. Its still good for them even though its free for us.

LUVMIRZA
Jul 12th, 2010, 03:57 PM
We did not get any streams for Brimmingham early rounds:sad: but These CC MMs get all the coverage.

Gregorio87
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
hardcourts are a neutral surface, this european clay court season lasts forever. i mean if you take clay as a whole it starts the weeks before IW, then straight away again after miami, then straight away again after wimbledon. and thats just on top of the nearly 2 month long main clay court season

For many countries it's the main (neutral) surface and if they have a chance to organize a tournament, then it will be on this surface.
But you should be happy because Prague is already kicked out for next year, they will keep the 4 MM clay after Wimbledon but then 0 clay. One more tennis country without a WTA tournie.

iGOAT
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Because of TV deals, and also because whenever there is an illegal free livestream at the big tournaments the WTA blocks it but they don't care about the Internationals enough to try and find and block all the livestreams.

iGOAT
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:30 PM
We did not get any streams for Brimmingham early rounds:sad: but These CC MMs get all the coverage.
Some channel bought Birmingham. I remember watching it on TV in China :tape:.

Wiggly
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Many International tournaments are sponsored by betting websites so they need a stream to show the action.

Corswandt
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:34 PM

This merely reflects the way in which the Euro clay challenger season goes on for pretty much the whole year. From March to October, the great majority of Euro challengers are played on claycourts.

Meelis
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Betting sites would love to show every tournament, but itīs not easy to get rights. So they will show smaller events.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:37 PM

they dont have TV cameras at Birmingham till Friday

Meelis
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Because of TV deals, and also because whenever there is an illegal free livestream at the big tournaments the WTA blocks it but they don't care about the Internationals enough to try and find and block all the livestreams.

WTA does not care about illegal streams, TV stations do.

A-Bond
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I'm really pleased about this. I was very surprised that there is a stream for Palermo, unless the other events there was no Palermo stream the past few years and some years ago the Tournament did not even have Livescores, the Website is still crappy. But the stadium looks like an ITF-Tournament. Whatever, it's nice to see the matches :)

Ferg
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Its their only redeeming factor. These 3 weeks of the calendar are the worst.

Fantasy Hero
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:41 PM
the streams are so good because there isn't tv stations who have the rights to the matches.

that's not true...Palermo for example is broadcasted by Supertennis and they sell the rights to the russian tv too :p

sammy01
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:49 PM
that's not true...Palermo for example is broadcasted by Supertennis and they sell the rights to the russian tv too :p

i mean deals like what the WTA has with eurosport that they can exclusively show the tier 2 and above tounrnaments. the deals you are talking about are small 1 off deals for tournaments that have to find for them themselves

-NAJ-
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM
they have great streams but empty stands all week

LUVMIRZA
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:33 PM
they dont have TV cameras at Birmingham till Friday

yeah...but these tournies are covered so well. Birmingham:rolleyes:

toby345
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
It's strange that the biggest tournaments behind the Grand Slams and YEC, Miami and Indian Wells don't have coverage for the first days and these tournaments have such good coverages :help:

LUVMIRZA
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:40 PM
It's strange that the biggest tournaments after the Grand Slams and YEC, Miami and Indian Wells don't have coverage for the first days and these tournaments have such good coverages :help:

Its terrible, isnt it?