PDA

View Full Version : What level is Sharapova returning to?

Volcana
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Obviously, there's no 'general agreement' on anything about Sharapova. But IMHO< she has not shown the consistent form that she eventually will. I also do not think she'll be the player she was. Virtually no player in the last 20 years who had a traumatic injury, and then won at least one slam, Seles, Graf, Venus, Serena, Pierce ... has return to their former level of dominance, even though they did return to slam-winning form.

Graf had less of a drop-off than most, but even she went from winning double-digit tournaments a year, to 'only' winning six or seven a year.
Seles had a huge drop-off, but the physical damage of being stabbed was relatively minor.
Venus had only won four slams before her worst injury. Three more after, but far fewer none slam tournament wins.
Tracy Austin, OTOH, never won another.
Serena has actually won MORE slams post injury. But her non-slam record dwindles to the ordinary.Sharapova's young, which favors her, but a rotator cuff is about the worst injury a pitcher or a racket sport player can suffer. They don't 'fix' a rotator cuff as much as re-stabilize it. Your shoulder literally doesn't work the same way.

I don't think she'll be ranked #1 again. I'm shocked Venus got to #2 again, but that's a matter of the tour having a relatively even distribution of talent to a historical depth, plus Serena's unusual ability to peak for slams. Right now, #2 is closer to #10 than #1, performance-wise.

Can Sharapova win slams? Wait, that's is it more or less LIKELY that Sharapova will win slams? As was proven recently, virtually any player in the top twenty with an average draw and the ability to perform their best under pressure CAN win a slam. But if you had, mobsters with a gun at your head HAD, to bet the money for your mother's heart operation on whether or not Sharapova's wins another slam, which way would you bet?

Aaron.
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:26 AM
She could win a slam maybe after Serena and Henin call it quits though. She's played decently besides her random AO loss..She was unlucky at the French to play Justine so early and Serena at Wimbledon. Had she been in Caro's quarter at Wimbledon she probably would have made the Semis, but that's irrelevant

Pops Maellard
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Second option, she'll win another. ;)

Vartan
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Pop Off!

L'Enfant Sauvage
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:46 AM
I don't care for her, but in within the next five or so years I could see her winning one. All it takes is for the top players to have an off day/get injured/eliminate eachother in the early rounds. I'd have thought Maria's chances were better than Schiavone's...

Gdsimmons
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I don't care for her, but in within the next five or so years I could see her winning one. All it takes is for the top players to have an off day/get injured/eliminate eachother in the early rounds. I'd have thought Maria's chances were better than Schiavone's...

Precisely

Nefertiti
Jul 12th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I hope she wins another slam. But she has to train harder and focus on tennis.

narutos
Jul 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Sharapova is a champion and will ALWAYS be one. I don't care if people count her OUT she will prove them wrong like she usually does.:wavey:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:24 AM
You can't rule out a player who's won multiple majors, and who has ice running through their veins.

madmax
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Sharapova is a champion and will ALWAYS be one. I don't care if people count her OUT she will prove them wrong like she usually does.:wavey:

preach it:worship:

Cakeisgood
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:01 AM
You can't rule out a player who's won multiple majors, and who has ice running through their veins.

Queen Bitch Masha will not be denied :worship:.

But in all seriousness, I do think that we've seen peak Maria (USO 2006, AO 2008 is as good as it's gonna get) but I think she'll get a couple more before calling it quits.

Steven.
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:13 AM
masha will win a slam soon. at least R4 in wimby means she will win a slam this year or at latest the following year!!!!!!!

Tennisstar86
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I dont agree with this assesment of the other players at all. I think what you see in their later years has much more to do with at that point adding to their legacy (AKA winning slams) and not caring about the lesser tournaments.(Is that because they were ijured and thus put things into perspective? maybe) I mean don't get me wrong the other tournys count, but in the grand scheme of things, when you have 30+ tournament wins. People stop paying attention to your tourny count and look more at how many slams you've won. Will Sharapova win another slam? tough to say..... Shes "back on form" supposedly, In the last two slams shes played she actually made it to the players who are suppose to beat her as oppossed to the scrubs she had been losing too. That was the problem before. If she keeps this up. Maybe.....Others say that Sharapova could have dominated when Venus/Serena/Henin/ Clijsters left the game. And while with the talent and shananegans we've seen this year it is STILL possible. I forsee the retirements of Clijsters/Henin/Sharapova/Venus&Serena all occuring between 2012-2014. In that Order....So she will have to beat Serena for a slam. Serena is hungry to get to 18...she says she doesnt pay attention to that, but I believe that as much as I believe her being a virgin....and lets face it she owns Pova...

If Maria gets another slam, it will probably be at the Us Open if I had to guess...

bandabou
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:22 AM
She'll be back. Needs to start beating some top players to get her ranking up, so she can avoid playing Serena/ Juju before the Qf's. She's good.

Baselinebasher
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:31 AM
If her fans think that in order to win a slam Sharapova needs other top players to eliminate each other or be upset early, it just shows how much confidence they have in their player.

Anyway, I never appreciated Sharapova's style and her shrieking, so I hope she doesn't win another slam :wavey:

tennnisfannn
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:47 AM
So far Maria has managed to play lights out against Justine and Serena, perhaps the USO series will tell us more baot where she really is- can she get past Na Li?

Vaidisova Ruled
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah because Sharapova has never beaten a top player and she will never beat one !!!!!

Volcana, still obsessed with Maria ?

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Right now the thing to do is sit on the fence. I think we will have a much better idea where Sharapova's career is heading in 12 months time.

Since coming back from injury, Sharapova has done nothing to indicate she is back at a level that is likely to win her a Grand Slam. On the other hard, she is still young and she still has plenty of time left to get back to that level. While she hasn't done anything since coming back to indicate she will win more Grand Slams in the future it is just as true to say her results since coming back don't actually rule out the possibility that she will continue to improve and attain a level of play that could win her more slams in the future.

duhcity
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM
SiMHTK15Pik

Ferg
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:01 AM
If she beats a top 40 player this year we'll know shes on the right road.

serenus_2k8
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Maria's problem is her game isnt that amazing. In the past her raw power, on-court demeanour and her name have been enough for her to get through most of the field. Now, however, players see the lack of consistancy at the top of the game and are aware of how often the top players are losing now to lower ranked women which means they arent intimidated by Maria. When you factor that in with her reduced power you end up with her losing to relatively poor players who are able to undo her game because she cant hurt them in the way she could pre injury. Perhaps another slam is possible because shes so intense and her desire to win is up there with Serenas, but I think she would need Ree/Justine/Kim/Vee to meet early and suffer some sort of injury/tiredness that prevents them hitting top form in the 2nd week.

gc-spurs
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
SiMHTK15Pik

Saiyan saga was the best.

Break My Rapture
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Yes. :bigwave:

Corswandt
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Volcana's monthly "dancing over Sharapova's grave" thread. :yawn:

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Just wanted to highlight that part but ITA with everything you typed. I would be very suprised but not unhappy if it doesn't happen a couple of times unfortunatelyactually.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Badrep foy you, Volcana, for running out of brain cells!!! :wavey:

Beat
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:32 PM
i think both the FO and wimbledon were clear signs of improvement. so it's totally possible that she'll win another major or two.

serenafan08
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Maria will be back to the winner's circle. The question is when and where? And against who? It's hard to think she'll beat Serena, but she has a better h2h against Venus. The Belgians aren't as good post-comeback, so if she plays one of them she could win it. We shall see. She showed promising signs at Wimbledon.

dsanders06
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Some more Slams will come if she stays healthy. But she needs lots of match practice against the top players first. She doesn't have the natural athleticism of Serena and Venus, so she can't just show up and win a Slam out of the blue like they can. The fact that she's so mentally-tough might make people believe that she CAN do that, but I think it works the other way round - because she relies on her mental toughness so much, she needs her mental instincts to be at their absolute sharpest for her to win Slams. She's like Nadal in that respect - his mental toughness is his biggest weapon, so he needed to gradually build up wins over top players at the smaller tournaments before he had the confidence to win a Slam again.

However, she needs to stay healthy to get this confidence - and I'm far from convinced she can. Her body just seems SO fragile. Rather than her serve being the problem, I really think it's her lasso forehand that's the biggest worry in terms of injuries. One of the main reasons why her tennis was so good at the AO08 was because she was absolutely ripping her fh, and exaggerating the follow-through more than ever - and I don't think it's any coincidence that she severely re-injured her shoulder almost immediately afterwards.

LUVMIRZA
Jul 12th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Masha USO2010 Champion:worship:

VishaalMaria
Jul 12th, 2010, 03:02 PM

THIS.

As much as she bombs out early in some tournaments, I bet there will be a slam sometime in the near future where she'll just come out all guns blazing and become Miss ice Queen.

Wasn't there same talk after her injury in 2007? She ended up winning the Australian 2008 open.

Anyway, she's shown she can win a slam (three in fact) and IMHO you can never count someone like that out as long as they are playing.

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Heck I even think that she's going to win another one before Venus does. :shrug:

pokey camp
Jul 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Pretty much. :rolleyes:

Old girl makes more Maria threads than most fans. :o

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Of course she will what the heck!!

Gdsimmons
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I think she'll win one or two more for sure. When and where that will happen I have no clue.

markdelaney
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:28 PM
neither options suggests she won't get back in the top 5 and I've yet to see any evidence , since she returned from injury, that she is a top 5 player now or challenging for Grand Slams.

Joe.
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Mashas certainly not back to anywhere near as well as she can play but shes definitly showing signs of improvement. 100% sure that she'll win more slams.

BluSthil
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
:lick: If Maria determines that tennis is more important than her numerous other interests, and does what is necessary to get back into top form, than Sharapova can certainly win another slam. She has the tennis skills to win any event. I hope she will persevere for another 6 years or so and become one of the greats... 55536

By the way, has Maria always had big b.... ? Maybe it's just the pose...

Randy H
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I thought by around this time in her comeback that I'd have a pretty good idea as to how far up she could make it back, but honestly I still don't have that yet. In truth, she really didn't play a whole lot of tennis through the first half of the season though which didn't help. She's had a few moments where I've seen patches of her former self pre-injury, but I definitely haven't seen the consistency yet. I thought she played a good match against Serena, but the serve was certainly not the kind of weapon it once was and I doubt it ever will be given her shoulder problems. Sharapova at her best relied heavily on such great first strike tennis, and without a serve that can consistently win her easy free points, I'm not 100% convinced that she can return to slam winning form. That said, she is a multiple grand slam winner who is clearly a fighter and mentally tough. Hard to rule out someone like her out, and if anyone can do it she's certainly one of the players you would expect capable of it.

hingis-seles
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Based on my observations of her play this summer, she's returning to level 15.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Based on my observations of her play this summer, she's returning to level 15.

That is her current ranking:shrug:

Vikapower
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Why people don't question if Venus will ever win a slam other than wimbledon or if Justine 2010 will ever win a major as it's pure evidence that Maria will definitively win slams in the future.

Maria just needs time and people tend to rush everything because others like Kim cameback on first attempt won 2nd USO... Maria will be at 2 slams a year when her level will soon be back to catch up. Maybe USO 2010 and for sure AO and RG 2011.

Pureracket
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:39 PM
:confused:Pretty much. :rolleyes:

Old girl makes more Maria threads than most fans. :oActually, doesn't this thread kinda show that Volcana is a Maria Sharapova fan?:confused:

LUVMIRZA
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:42 PM
:confused:Actually, doesn't this thread kinda show that Volcana is a Maria Sharapova fan?:confused:
I thought u are the alter ego of Volcano:p

Sp!ffy
Jul 12th, 2010, 09:26 PM
It's been a bit over a year since Maria has been back and she has improved dramatically over the course of one year. One year from now, I believe that Maria will be playing near her best.

Who knows if she'll win a grand slam again? Who knows if she'll be top 5 again? It's all so irrelevant. Just appreciate Maria S. while she is in the sport because before we know it, Serena, Venus, Maria, Elena, Kim, Justine will all be retired and we'll have newbies running the tour.

I dont think its right for some people to say that they hope she doesnt win another slam again because even if you dont like a player, tennis is at its best when all the players are playing great. Some of you have too much animosity towards players. This is a sport. I'd love to see Vee win some more slams, JJ and Elena to win their first, and of course, Maria to win many more. My love for tennis is far greater than my hatred toward any one certain player :rolleyes:

Craig.
Jul 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
It's been a bit over a year since Maria has been back and she has improved dramatically over the course of one year. One year from now, I believe that Maria will be playing near her best.

Who knows if she'll win a grand slam again? Who knows if she'll be top 5 again? It's all so irrelevant. Just appreciate Maria S. while she is in the sport because before we know it, Serena, Venus, Maria, Elena, Kim, Justine will all be retired and we'll have newbies running the tour.

I dont think its right for some people to say that they hope she doesnt win another slam again because even if you dont like a player, tennis is at its best when all the players are playing great. Some of you have too much animosity towards players. This is a sport. I'd love to see Vee win some more slams, JJ and Elena to win their first, and of course, Maria to win many more. My love for tennis is far greater than my hatred toward any one certain player :rolleyes:

Really?

OsloErik
Jul 12th, 2010, 09:37 PM

You know, about a month ago I would have been right on that bandwagon with Volcana, but after Wimbledon I'm more upbeat about Sharapova's chances than I have been since 2008. I'd like to see her go a month without any major dropoff in her serve, but she looked more steady than I've seen her in quite a while. Whether she wins a slam or not is (obviously) still to be determined. Before Wimbledon, I thought the very conversation was laughably premature. Now, I think it's actually a valid debate to be had.

Midnight_Robber
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I think that Maria's been looking good - and quite dangerous going into RG and beyond, but has had extremely tough draws - hence the deceptive results at the past two slams. Yes, she had her lapse in Birmingham, but she was the only person at Wimbledon who was able to put up anything remotely resembling a genuine fight (and match) against Serena. Furthermore, I thought that her groundstrokes were the best at Wimbledon this year and I really enjoyed watching her strike the ball. Her serve wasn't too bad, but she did make some questionable decisions on critical point. The tour only benefits if she gets better and better and I do believe she is on the road to recovery. But these things take TIME.

Why people don't question if Venus will ever win a slam other than wimbledon or if Justine 2010 will ever win a major as it's pure evidence that Maria will definitively win slams in the future.

:rolleyes: Obviously you must be posting on some other board because GM is littered with threads questioning both Venus' and Justine's ability to win slams. Heck, after this years desultory defeat people are questioning Venus' ability to win any slams, full-stop. Where have you been?

xan
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Volcana is another Williams fan with a Sharapova obsession.

Of course (barring further injury) Maria can win more slam titles. She's 23 with hopefully many more years ahead at the top of tennis. At her best she can beat anyone currently on the circuit in straight sets, and I don't see a huge crop of new world-beaters appearing in the ranks. She's had some foul luck since the AO 2008. Hopefully that will change for the better.

Sp!ffy
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Really?

Uh, yes she has actually. I'm assuming you dont watch tennis?

I'm assuming her Wimbledon 2R match was the same quality of tennis as her 4R match against Serena? Or maybe just perhaps last year she was ranked in the 100's and now she is in the Top 20. :shrug: I don't want to go on about how much of a better player she is now than last year because I'm pretty sure everyone who actually watches her matches would know that.

But hey, maybe youre one of those people who just like to post here without even watching the sport. That's cool too ;) :yeah:

le bon vivant
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:46 PM

I'm assuming her Wimbledon 2R match was the same quality of tennis as her 4R match against Serena? Or maybe just perhaps last year she was ranked in the 100's and now she is in the Top 20. :shrug: I don't want to go on about how much of a better player she is now than last year because I'm pretty sure everyone who actually watches her matches would know that.

But hey, maybe youre one of those people who just like to post here without even watching the sport. That's cool too ;) :yeah:She was beating Top 40 players last year.
She hasn't done it this year.
Decline.

Aaron.
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Yeah it's weird she hasn't beaten any top 40 players this year, but her game is better then last year. I think her mental strength got her through a lot of those matches even with 15+ DFs

The Dawntreader
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Physically it's all starting to level out positively.

Her game still has some seams undone, and would need to be addressed to even think about recapturing her '06/08 form. The serve since IW has indeed looked a lot more purposeful, but still random moments of DF's, declining first serve%. PeakPova's serve was as resilient and reliable as it got.

Her ground game also leaks unfamilar errors, but it looked the most stable at Wimbledon against Serena for some time. I felt that in '09 in particular, she lost the ability to rally sufficiently. Too much reliance on audacious 'Big-Babe' hitting, and it was just strangling her play. For all her aggressive tendencies, Sharapova does rely on a great deal of consistency. It's a high risk game, that needs support from her ball control, a la Davenport.

I'd say righht now she's still a 'threat' rather than a key player at this stage. What i like since IW is that there hasn't been huge ebbs and flows. It all seems to be reconstructing itself gradually. Sharapova is a huge presence in women's tennis, and the tour will look so fruitful with a in-form Sharapova.

Craig.
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:04 AM

But hey, maybe youre one of those people who just like to post here without even watching the sport. That's cool too ;) :yeah:

Umm, calm down :weirdo: Please don't act all high and mighty thinking you know everything. We're both Maria fans so I don't want to start arguing but I have to say that she was much more consistent in her results and form last year. I do agree that recently she has hit the peak of her game since she's been back but only for a couple matches... Sure her serve was shit, but she won a Tier 1 last year and could actually beat top 20 and top 10 players. And she was ranked in the top 100s cause she hadn't played in 9 months so she lost almost all her points.

Improved on some aspects of her game? Maybe so.
Improved dramatically? No.