PDA

View Full Version : Which is/was your Favourite Indoor Tournament?

A-Bond
Jul 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM
For me the indoor season is/was (:o) always the best part of the season. Good atmosphere, no rain delays, no wind and fast surfaces. I love them all but I'd like to know which one do you like at most. As I'm from Switzerland, I obviously love Zurich, but my favourite Tournament is Paris Indoors, because I like the stadium and especially the camera-angle (Women's Tennis really looks fast there).

What about yours?

Keadz
Jul 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Zurich because Patty and Alicia won there, as well as Tati's run to the final. Always seemed my favourites were having good results there.

They really need these tournaments back, created some good quality tennis.

Caipirinha Guy
Jul 11th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Of course 100+H Kraków challenger:

- GOAT venue (whole main draw on one court :lol:)
- GOAT surface (taraflex on wood, sometimes didn't stick to the floor and came off during rallies)
- GOAT matches (featuring marathons: Urszula Radwanska vs Jugić-Salkić [finished at 2:00 AM] and Kerber vs Niculescu)
- GOAT off-court situations (featuring Keothavong and Anderson being closed on parking just 5 minutes before their doubles match)

Such a shame it's out of challenger circuit :hysteric:

Priscilla.
Jul 11th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Paris

Pops Maellard
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I voted for Linz, only because it's Ana's last ever tournament win.

volta
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Paris and Antwerp

shega
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Zurich because Tati almost won it.

Umberella
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I voted Linz cause two of my faves - Dani and Ana - have won there in recent memory :)

Chakvenus
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Zurich and Antwerp for sure.

Fired
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Stuttgart! Loved the stadium and my faves always did well there :lol:

timafi
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Paris because some of the all time best have won there and Amelie has won it 3 times:lol:Navratilova;Hingis;Clijsters;Graf;Amelie and the Williams sisters:bowdown:

#kArLoS#
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Close between Paris,Moscow,Linz,Zurich,Luxembourg and Stuttgart :lol:

¤CharlDa¤
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I have to stay close to my roots and say Quebec City. Not as big as the other ones, but was always winning the player's favorite tournament. Just a great place to be in fall.

Jorn
Jul 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Leipzig because I was down there 5 times. :)

exp. when they move into the new Arena Leipzig.

Petkorazzi
Jul 11th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Paris because some of the all time best have won there and Amelie has won it 3 times:lol:Navratilova;Hingis;Clijsters;Graf;Amelie and the Williams sisters:bowdown:
Pretty sure it's Antwerp that Amelie won twice? Or did she win 3 times in Paris too? :worship:

frenchie
Jul 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Luxembourg
10 km from my house. Enough said

Then Leipzig
Nastya owned this tournament

Dave.
Jul 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Zurich.

van£ss
Jul 11th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Paris ! Such a great place to watch Tennis and that's where i really started following Dinara in 2005 :awww:

Sammy Stones
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Linz, only because I liked the stadium

timafi
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Pretty sure it's Antwerp that Amelie won twice? Or did she win 3 times in Paris too? :worship:

she made 6 finals and won 3 times but the players who there:bowdown:

Safe-From-Harm
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Stuttgart and Moscow.
Beacuse JJ won it both. And I like both towns....even If i haven't been in any of them lol.
Just got passed through Stuttgart. But nice pics from there...yeah.

Jajaloo
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Stuttgart and Moscow.
Beacuse JJ won it both.

Back to back :hysteric:

Stuttgart. Turned into Shittgart.

Acinolbaj
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Zurich, Linz, Luxembourg, Moscow. I just love all those autumn´s tournaments. and I still miss YEC Madrid. :sad:

°°°VaMoS RaFa°°°
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Zurich - because I'm from Switerland
Paris - because Amélie's win in 2009
Antwerp - because Amélie won there tree times
Luxembourg - because Timea won there last year

I really liked all the indoor tournaments in europe.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jul 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Tokyo, Moscow, Paris , Hasselt and Luxembourg

prima donna
Jul 11th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Of course 100+H Kraków challenger:

- GOAT venue (whole main draw on one court :lol:)
- GOAT surface (taraflex on wood, sometimes didn't stick to the floor and came off during rallies)
- GOAT matches (featuring marathons: Urszula Radwanska vs Jugić-Salkić [finished at 2:00 AM] and Kerber vs Niculescu)
- GOAT off-court situations (featuring Keothavong and Anderson being closed on parking just 5 minutes before their doubles match)

Such a shame it's out of challenger circuit :hysteric:

:lol:
sounds awsome:hearts:

Break My Rapture
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Stuttgart, Moscow and Antwerp.

.Andrew.
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I like the looks of Paris and Antwerp (and also because Vee was so successful there, even though she never won the gold racket. :sobbing: Damn you Amelie :p)

But my favorite is definitely Luxembourg.

madmax
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Moscow - big spacy stadium and a good looking court. Tokyo looks very nice as well when it's played indoors (like last year)

Fantasy Hero
Jul 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM
there should have been the multi-vote chance cuz i voted for Zurich, but Moscow, Linz and Stuttgart (Hard) were/are all great venues!

Petkorazzi
Jul 11th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Zurich was amazing. So many awesome matches. :hearts: WTA is by far the best on the fast indoor courts.

Fantasy Hero
Jul 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM
^ Ita

AdeyC
Jul 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Brighton...because it was 15 mins from where I live

AmeDevotee
Jul 11th, 2010, 10:26 PM

Agreed. :cool: Honourable mentions to Antwerp and Philadelphia, which she also won three times (consecutively). :bowdown:

She really excelled indoors. :worship:

allrounder
Jul 11th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Stuttgart, I preferred it as an indoor hard court event though in the Autumn European swing :sad:

homogenius
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Paris and Stuttgart

LightWarrior
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Paris. It's close to where I live and you can be so close to the players because it's such a small arena. Fantastic.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Pan Pacific in Tokyo (no longer exists) just after the AO. It was special, lots of stars, on carpet, often produced dramatic finals.

hurricanejeanne
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:48 PM
The tournament formally known as Filderstadt followed by Zurich. So many memories of livescoring at 5am. :awww:

Linnie
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Agreed. :cool: Honourable mentions to Antwerp and Philadelphia, which she also won three times (consecutively). :bowdown:

She really excelled indoors. :worship:
Totally agree :yeah: :D

SoClose
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Zurich!

danieln1
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Swisscom Challenge, in Zurich...

Davenport ruled there, it was great to see her winning her last tier I title there in 2005, trashing local girl in the final!

A-Bond
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Swisscom Challenge, in Zurich...

Davenport ruled there, it was great to see her winning her last tier I title there in 2005, trashing local girl in the final!

Yay 7-6 6-3 against Schnyder on an indoor hardcourt... What a trashing :tape::o

*JR*
Jul 12th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Then Leipzig
Nastya owned this tournament

No, the Clijsters Clan (and Bob Verbeeck) did :devil: because in addition to Elke (0-8 in WTA MD singles matches) getting 2 straight MD wildcards from Bob in Tier II Antwerp, they got her one in Tier II Liepzig. :o

OsloErik
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Leipzig. I was a hitting partner at the tournament from 1993 through 2001 and had the best time. The tournament folk there were among the finest in Europe. Got to meet tons of players, too. After 1994 I always stayed at the same hotel as the players and had breakfast with the woman I'd be hitting with for the first morning session. Anke Huber, Nath Tauziat (who was a real pistol), and Jana Novotna were my favorites. Anke thought I was her good luck charm because the year she won Leipzig and Luxembourg, I was her hitting partner before each match. Still get a card from her every New Year.

Filderstadt would be a close second. I loved the venue in Filderstadt, but I'd play on carpet any day.

OsloErik
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Zurich was amazing. So many awesome matches. :hearts: WTA is by far the best on the fast indoor courts.

You know what, I agree with you! I think men's tennis is best on clay, but the women seem to all kick up a gear on indoor courts. Of course, my girl Kuznetsova would disagree, but I think the overall quality of matches on fast indoor courts is much higher than on any other surface.

KournikovaFan91
Jul 12th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Moscow because Anna made the final :angel:

Leipzig was also good for Anna, I wish it was back on the calendar. :sobbing: