PDA

View Full Version : Agnieszka Radwanska is the most talented player of her generation!

Morrissey
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I really want Agnieszka Radwanska to step up to the plate and become a champion. Most of the female tennis players are just brainless ball bashing idiots they hit the ball hard with no thought or context.

I know the press like Victoria Azarenka and Caroline Wozniacki but I am more impressed with Radwanska's game. Agnieszka's game is more complete she is so smart uses angles, slice, lobs, drop shots and volleys very well. I just wish Agniezszka would get a better serve. I am kind of disappointed in her because she hasn't played great tennis for a while. I feel if Agniezska can get some confidence she can definitely become a champion. People seem to think it is all about power but I feel that skill is also important.

narutos
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:12 PM
A talented player isn't allowed to lose against Pushniacki, sorry.

Wiggly
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Radwanska has a nice game but even with her "skills" it's not enough as it's easy to overpower her. A serve would help her to be become a real top 10 player and not someone that's always between #15 and #8..

She could be good with a massive weapon but she's basically a Camille Pin hitting some lobs and dropshots.

You don't need to talented to beat Wozniacki, just hit hard between the lines.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I thought it was Aryman's thread.

Chakvenus
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:44 PM
i agree!!
or at least i feel that she is capable of playing much better than she has as of late. her problem for me in recent months is the lack of development; she always is consistent, anticipates well, and has the feel, but that extra improvement is still to be seen.
i hope she realizes this soon and makes some beneficial changes to her game, as she really is quite a talent.

Otlichno
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Should I bring out the popcorn yet?

volta
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hate about to start in 5 4 3 2 1 ...

Leave lady Aga alone :banghead: she's been shit all year last thing we her fans need is a hating thread :sobbing:

O/T: im glad you got over your Venus obsession

hingisGOAT
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Her volleys are sad and brittle... nice try though

LightWarrior
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:04 PM
So am I. yawn.

dsanders06
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:29 PM
She plays well if you let her play well. She has great hands and can do nice things with the ball - if you give her time to set up her shots and control the court. But if you don't give her that time and throw a bit of power her way, she's got no answers - while she's a decent mover, her defense is nowhere near strong enough to beat the Williamses and Belgians by getting everything back in the way the likes of Jankovic can. And I mean, she was actually overpowered by Wozniacki at IW this year... now I love Wozniacki and think she's far better than many people on here give her credit for (she's a fantastic counter-puncher), but still, if she's besting you in the power stakes then you've got problems :lol:

I think she's pretty much hit a brick wall I'm afraid - I think she might be able to hang around at low top 10/top 20 level for a good few years, but I'd be surprised if she ever does better than she's doing now.

KamilZ
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM
OMG!:sobbing: i love it :banghead:

Volcana
Jul 11th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I really want Agnieszka Radwanska to step up to the plate and become a champion. Most of the female tennis players are just brainless ball bashing idiots they hit the ball hard with no thought or context.

I know the press like Victoria Azarenka and Caroline Wozniacki but I am more impressed with Radwanska's game. Agnieszka's game is more complete she is so smart uses angles, slice, lobs, drop shots and volleys very well. I just wish Agniezszka would get a better serve. I am kind of disappointed in her because she hasn't played great tennis for a while. I feel if Agniezska can get some confidence she can definitely become a champion. People seem to think it is all about power but I feel that skill is also important.Problem being, Radwanska has brainless skill.

She can do a lot of different things with the ball, but too often, she doesn't know WHAT to do. She's like a chess player who thinks only about the next move, not the next seven or eight. She's Patty Schnyder, not Martina Hingis. Meaning she's skilled, and will win some tournaments, but she's just not smart enough to overcome her physical shortcomings. Which is no sin. Steven Hawking would be the smartest player on the men's tour, but he wouldn't win any matches.

duhcity
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:22 AM
My favorite was the Aga/Caro match at IW where both of them hit 2x harder than they usually do against other opponents

edificio
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I like her game and her (she's feisty and assertive), but her serve stinks to high heaven. It is so pitty-pat. She won't get much higher without improving that serve. Sure, she can ace you, as she has good placement, but sometimes her serve is nothing more than spinning it in. She's also the queen of the bagel against lower-ranked opponents. That said, I can't see her getting much higher the 7 or 8. I don't even know her ranking at the moment.

Rafito.
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I don't think so. Vika is much more talented than her, there H2H even proves it.

http://i27.tinypic.com/289ast5.png

simonsaystennis
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Aga will be a consistent top 8-20 player for her career, but she would have to have a SPECTACULAR run and a good draw to win a slam. And this comes from a fan. I don't hate on the "pushers" as this board calls them. I really admire Aga's variety and craftiness. She really can play some beautiful tennis! But unless her serve improves and she adds a bit more firepower, I don't think she'll win a slam.

Jankarenka
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:02 AM
She plays exactly like Hingis :D and thats why she can't get above number 7 :sad:

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Aga is Wozniacki with drop shots. Pass.

Jajaloo
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Azarenka over Radwanska, any day.

Optima
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I love me some Aga.

All of my favorites are so useless.

AcesHigh
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I love Aga.. but she's not the most talented of the group... at least she hasn't shown it yet.
I have a lot of faith in her though.. she needs some improvements. Honestly I think she would have made the adjustments and improvements by now.. but she's still young :)

hingisGOAT
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:46 AM
She plays exactly like Hingis :D and thats why she can't get above number 7 :sad:

Please do not insult Hingis like this :rolleyes: Martina took the ball way earlier and moved foward much more aggressively... she was no junkballer/moonballer like Radwanska.

volta
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I love Aga.. but she's not the most talented of the group... at least she hasn't shown it yet.
I have a lot of faith in her though.. she needs some improvements. Honestly I think she would have made the adjustments and improvements by now.. but she's still young :)

She needs a new coach. Her forehand needs alot of improvement same for hr serve but her father doesn't seem to get it. Their fights don't help her at all.

olivero
Jul 11th, 2010, 07:58 AM
not again :rolleyes:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I don't think so. Vika is much more talented than her, there H2H even proves it.

http://i27.tinypic.com/289ast5.png

H2H proves nothing :help:
Bammer leads Serena 2:0, is the more talented than the American?

TennisFan66
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:39 AM

I know the press like Victoria Azarenka and Caroline Wozniacki but I am more impressed with Radwanska's game. Agnieszka's game is more complete she is so smart uses angles, slice, lobs, drop shots and volleys very well. I just wish Agniezszka would get a better serve. I am kind of disappointed in her because she hasn't played great tennis for a while. I feel if Agniezska can get some confidence she can definitely become a champion. People seem to think it is all about power but I feel that skill is also important.

'Talent' is not tangible. Its also highly subjective and in fairness, all top tennis players have some sort of 'talent'.

That aside, I certainly am with you on appreciating Aga. I too love her game and style of play. In fact, the 3 girls you've mentioned are my top 3 faves :lol: .. If 'becoming a champion' equals winning a slam though, I think Aga is probably the least likely of the 3.

and you 'sir', you go straight to my ignore list. Say hello to slutiana, sammy01 and the gang :lol:

Slutiana
Jul 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Even if this bold statement was true, being the most talented player in Generation Thuck doesn't mean very much at all.

Julian.
Jul 11th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I think Aga will have a career similar to Patty Schnyder.

The Dawntreader
Jul 11th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Exagerated and probably false when you really look at her game.

Talent is just the tip of the iceberg in tennis anyway.

Dodoboy.
Jul 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
No way, it's so much fun though to see the WS hit through her, especially on grass, i love their matches!

Honorable mention would be against Serena last year on the dirt, such a nice match to watch.

frenchie
Jul 11th, 2010, 02:41 PM
in terms of pure tennis talent : YES

But she's limited by her frame, big time!
She doesn't have Stosur's biceps or Sharapova's huge shoulders

The Dawntreader
Jul 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM

She doesn't have Stosur's biceps or Sharapoba huge shoulder

That's no real impediment- look at Hingis.

Ryan
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:13 PM
That's no real impediment- look at Hingis.

Yeah, the biggest difference (for me) with Aga and Hingis is that Martina owned the baseline. She would hit half-volleys on deep groundies and take the ball so early in rallies, but Aga is more of a retriever. She's got great touch, but she is too passive and doesn't change direction nearly as well as Martina. Not to mention that her serve is somehow worse too. :o

I'd like for Aga to make a breakthrough at a Slam though, I think her game is really enjoyable when she's on.

frenchie
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hingis and Aga are not from the same generation too

Athleticism is much more important nowadays

Donny
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:21 PM
The ability to "ballbash" and actually win points is a skill. A skill some find to be unenjoyable to watch, but a skill nonetheless.

Radwanska could hit just as hard as any other girl on the tour regardless of her physical stature- raquet head speed, technique, all play a factor into how hard you hit the ball.She just isn't talented enough to do it. Which is fine, but let's call a spade a spade.

I don't see why tennis fans, unique among most sports, feel the need to debase the talents of players. You never see basketball fans deride centers for making a living in the paint, or MLB fans calling a pitcher who relies on fastballs "brainless". Power and speed are as much a part of sport as delicacy and touch.

Apoleb
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hingis was no Stosur or Sharapova, but even at 17, she could eat Radwanska for breakfast. (look at Hingis' physique at 18-19. She was no joke). She was much more physically stronger and had more weight of shot (something that is not acknowledged for Hingis, going by the cliche she was simply a mind player or whatever).

Radwanska's power (or lack of) is absolutely pathetic. She's so fragile in the upper body, has very little racket head speed and no weight on her shots. Given those huge limitations in the current game, I really believe she has outstretched her capabilities by being a top 10 player.

She has excellent shot selection which she mostly uses to become an opportunistic leech. But even her touch game is severely overrated. I don't think she has superb touch. Those drop shots look dreadful for the most part.

I like to compare Radwanska to Murray. :tape: She's like a D-version of Murray with no athleticism or power, but both utilize creative shot selection in a defensive manner, and can devolve into total pushers.

frenchie
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I agree she has no power but her cat and mouse points are amazing to watch

I absolutely love her dropshot/lob combination and her volleys are great too

Slutiana
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:50 PM
The only time I was really impressed with Radwanska was her breakthrough win, the Sharapova match. I remember her being so much more aggressive than the Radwanska of nowadays and really taking it to Maria particularly on her forehand side. The Hingis comparisons back then were actually passable because she was taking the ball so much earlier and playing with far more variety than nowadays.

And I loved her little mindgames when she would stand right behind the service line on the return and then move back just before Sharapova served. Nowadays, she's a completely different player.

Apoleb
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:00 PM
The only time I was really impressed with Radwanska was her breakthrough win, the Sharapova match. I remember her being so much more aggressive than the Radwanska of nowadays and really taking it to Maria particularly on her forehand side. The Hingis comparisons back then were actually passable because she was taking the ball so much earlier and playing with far more variety than nowadays.

And I loved her little mindgames when she would stand right behind the service line on the return and then move back just before Sharapova served. Nowadays, she's a completely different player.

I liked her against Kuznetsova on grass a couple of years ago. I also enjoyed her creative and partly successful but ultimately useless attempts to overcome Wozniacki's top spin in IW. She was so hopeless physically in that game, and made Wozniacki look like Nadal.

DefyingGravity
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Aga has the potential to really get the ball back with interest, I've seen her trade blows in some rallies before, but she's almost reluctant. The little bit more pace or spin she could generate would really help her game. I mean, that goes for Caroline too. Those two could use just a heavier ball and it would help their games, and also they could use Melanie Molitor.

Slutiana
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I liked her against Kuznetsova on grass a couple of years ago. I also enjoyed her creative and partly successful but ultimately useless attempts to overcome Wozniacki's top spin in IW. She was so hopeless physically in that game, and made Wozniacki look like Nadal.
:lol: I remember that. Even Wozniacki's moonballs were practically ripping the racket out of Radwanska's hands.

madmax
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Being the most "talented" out of generation suck losers isn't an accomplishment worth mentioning...good to see usual suspects hating on "talentless" ballbashers too - these tennis purists really have heads up their arses:haha:

Sammo
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM
She's like a bad version of Hingis with less power

The Dawntreader
Jul 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah, the biggest difference (for me) with Aga and Hingis is that Martina owned the baseline. She would hit half-volleys on deep groundies and take the ball so early in rallies, but Aga is more of a retriever. She's got great touch, but she is too passive and doesn't change direction nearly as well as Martina. Not to mention that her serve is somehow worse too. :o

Entirely true. It's all about court-positioning, even if you are underpowered.

Hingis's ball control though was second to none, able to deflect power and re-direct HUGE hitting with seeming ease. Radwanska often maroons herself behind the baseline, so she actually doesn't do anything to absorb or manipluate power- she's purely reacting to it.

That said, she doesn't have any kind of strength that Hingis had on those half-volley drives. Say what you will about Hingis, but she was deceptively strong physically.

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Sveta and Maria won majors in 2004.
Is Ana in the Maria, Sveta generation or the Caro, Aga, Vika generation?

Sammo
Jul 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I agree, look at how well she handled Sharapova

EAbEn40y6yc

Loungy
Jul 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I liked her against Kuznetsova on grass a couple of years ago.
Wimbledon 2008 R16. That's still one of my favorite Aga matches.

I agree with whoever proposed maybe she should get a new coach, because her fights with her dad aren't helping moving her game forward. On the contrary. :sad:

moby
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:05 PM

She doesn't have Stosur's biceps or Sharapova's huge shouldersShe is partly limited by her frame, but it's no excuse for puffing the ball the way she does. I believe she is far more limited by her ball-striking technique.

Just look at the clip of Hingis (or Sharapova for that matter) in this thread. See what she does with the ball (when she's not on the full defense). She uses her legs to steady her upper body, she commits to a shot, and she takes a full swing at the ball, while the ball is in front of her so that she leans into the ball naturally with her body weight. It's a myth that you need strong arms to hit the ball hard - yes, that helps, and it's particularly useful when you're out of position and have to hit shots off balance - Hingis would never be able to do this the way Serena can. The key to hitting the ball hard is to use your body weight moving forward. You've more than a 100 pounds there. Use it!

Of course, that also allows you to take the ball earlier, which makes it seem like you're hitting the ball harder than you actually are.

Compare this to Radwanska, who takes the ball along-side her body. There's little to no body weight going into her shots. Her non-committal slow racket-head acceleration, coupled by her lack of confidence in her ability to hit a solid ball (she never steadies herself to hit her groundstroke, choosing to guide the ball instead, because she's always getting ready even while hitting her groundstrokes to retrieve the next ball), it's no wonder she can only puffball.

Ryan
Jul 11th, 2010, 07:06 PM
She is partly limited by her frame, but it's no excuse for puffing the ball the way she does. I believe she is far more limited by her ball-striking technique.

Just look at the clip of Hingis (or Sharapova for that matter) in this thread. See what she does with the ball (when she's not on the full defense). She uses her legs to steady her upper body, she commits to a shot, and she takes a full swing at the ball, while the ball is in front of her so that she leans into the ball naturally with her body weight. It's a myth that you need strong arms to hit the ball hard - yes, that helps, and it's particularly useful when you're out of position and have to hit shots off balance - Hingis would never be able to do this the way Serena can. The key to hitting the ball hard is to use your body weight moving forward. You've more than a 100 pounds there. Use it!

Of course, that also allows you to take the ball earlier, which makes it seem like you're hitting the ball harder than you actually are.

Compare this to Radwanska, who takes the ball along-side her body. There's little to no body weight going into her shots. Her non-committal slow racket-head acceleration, coupled by her lack of confidence in her ability to hit a solid ball (she never steadies herself to hit her groundstroke, choosing to guide the ball instead, because she's always getting ready even while hitting her groundstrokes to retrieve the next ball), it's no wonder she can only puffball.

Awesome description of it. Federer does this so well - he's got nothing on Nadal in terms of upper body muscle, but he uses his torso and legs to center himself and lean into his forehand. He's pretty much a posterboy for technique being so important to hit hard, when you don't necessarily have the body for it.

DefyingGravity
Jul 11th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Definitely agree with the technique vs. physique for power. Physique can make up for lack of technique, while technique can make up for lack of physique. Either way.....Aga isn't hitting hard

Otlichno
Jul 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Agnieszka has allot of potential, but I think she's too stubborn to change a few things in her game. Even though her ranking has steadily gone higher, I think her game has gotten drastically worse. The way she played in the latter 2007-2008 period was very much different to the way she plays today, she would hit the ball as early as she could, and would change direction brilliantly. Nowadays her biggest offensive shots are lobs and dropshots! :hysteric:

Morrissey
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Agniezska has the talent but she does need to change her game a little bit. I think Agnieszka may need a serve coach and she needs to be a little bit more aggressive. The girl has the game and talent to be a winner but she maybe needs to be a little bit more aggressive. She's got so much talent.

Aryman3
Jul 11th, 2010, 10:21 PM
It's not my thread. I don't feel any need to recommend Aga's play
I'm admirer of her unique tennis but if others don't appreciate it, it's their problem
Agnieszka does not need any defensors. She defends herself quite outspokenly by leading bagel-giving classification.
So my role is just to show on this Forum how much underrated is she. How hate or ignorance result in false judgments
and expectations concerning her tennis future

Ryan
Jul 11th, 2010, 10:46 PM
It's not my thread. I don't feel any need to recommend Aga's play
I'm admirer of her unique tennis but if others don't appreciate it, it's their problem
Agnieszka does not need any defensors. She defends herself quite outspokenly by leading bagel-giving classification.
So my role is just to show on this Forum how much underrated is she. How hate or ignorance result in false judgments
and expectations concerning her tennis future

Are you ok in the head? This is a pretty constructive thread about Aga, so try contributing...or just leave. No one is being hateful or ignorant.

LUVMIRZA
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:26 PM
a wanna be Martina.H but falls too short.

Harvs
Jul 12th, 2010, 03:12 AM
lol.

is1531
Jul 12th, 2010, 03:18 AM

Thanks Bill!

slamchamp
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:47 PM
NO..her skills are overrated, her volleys aren't that great and neither are her dropshots:yawn: Her serve sucks and she lacks power..NEXT!

Kipling
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:59 PM
The ability to "ballbash" and actually win points is a skill. A skill some find to be unenjoyable to watch, but a skill nonetheless.

Radwanska could hit just as hard as any other girl on the tour regardless of her physical stature- raquet head speed, technique, all play a factor into how hard you hit the ball.She just isn't talented enough to do it. Which is fine, but let's call a spade a spade.

I don't see why tennis fans, unique among most sports, feel the need to debase the talents of players. You never see basketball fans deride centers for making a living in the paint, or MLB fans calling a pitcher who relies on fastballs "brainless". Power and speed are as much a part of sport as delicacy and touch.

Amen. Quality post. :worship:

It boils down to having some silly sophomoric need to debase the abilities of a player who has, at some point, beaten your own favorite or "wronged" you in some fashion.

If you like serve and volley tennis, fine. If you like baselining, fine. If you like angles and spins, fine. But grow up and stop criticizing players for best using their skills.

VishaalMaria
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM
H2H proves nothing :help:
Bammer leads Serena 2:0, is the more talented than the American?

Just like Na Li and her head to head against Venus (0-2)- Na Li and Sybille Bammer can certainly get the better of them

Also, Radwanska won the two most important meetings in her head to head against Victoria. I guess that's something. :lol:

Temperenka
Jul 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Victoria should (and largely is) considered the greatest of this generation.

Unless Aga changes her game, she will always be blasted off the court by in-form players that can hit the ball hard and clean.

In her previous meetings, she has won an average of two games a set against Serena, and has lost to Venus three times within the last year or so with an even more embarrassing games per set statistic.

Her biggest title being Eastbourne is also fairly revealing. The lack of competition and number of tanks at Eastbourne allow consistent players to win it with ease. It'll be hard for her to ever win a big title, let alone a grand slam, because of the simple fact that she won't beat someone like Serena, Venus, or even Petra at Wimbledon. She will need the fluffiest draw EVER to win.

She might have the cleanest, nicest game to watch... but 'talent' is not necessarily the key to doing well in the women's game today. You need power.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Vaidisova was the most talented. Unfortunately, she was brainwashed and vanished.

helio_c
Jul 12th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I agree, look at how well she handled Sharapova

EAbEn40y6yc

Wow, I wish I had been a tennis fan when Martina was in the tour her first time around. I remember her winning Tokyo and Rome (I think), but I was just starting to watch tennis.

Her shot selection was just amazing. Her inside out forehand :drool:

LUVMIRZA
Jul 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Wow, I wish I had been a tennis fan when Martina was in the tour her first time around. I remember her winning Tokyo and Rome (I think), but I was just starting to watch tennis.

Her shot selection was just amazing. Her inside out forehand :drool:

I started watching tennis from 1995 when i was in my 8th grade...and became a full time fan coz of Martina.H in 1997. She manipulates the opponents so well and moves quickly for her shots & takes the ball early. Culd hit the ball to any spot she wanted on the court...awesome to watch:worship: