PDA

View Full Version : Bastad F: Aravane Rezai def. Gisela Dulko 6-3 4-6 6-4

Kipling
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Aravane is love!

Congratulations, Aravane, on title number 4!

:inlove:

Baselinebasher
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Dulko was useless moonballer as usual. Decent performance from Rezai.

Jose.
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM
What a match :rolls: WTA at its best :cheer:
Gise :hug:
Caravane almost completed the choke :o

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Congrats Aravane.
Really good first set then :help:
You need to focus more when you lead.
Should have closed it in 2.

Gisela bad serve but love your variety.

Pasta-Na
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:32 PM
bali :cheer:

Keadz
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Bit of a mess, but good result in the end. Survived the choke so congrats on the title Rezai:).

Gisela always plays average when I see her play. She shows glimpses of good tennis but then usually becomes overly defensive...

homogenius
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Lot of choking moments in the 3rd but another title for her :worship:
If only she could stop with the loud "allez/come on" after opponent UEs...

Mixal
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:34 PM
What a fucking bitch this girl is. I was watching the match mute until the last two or three games and Rezai was screaming like crazy after absolutely every Dulko's error.

I love her explosiveness and game, but she is way too much...

Drine
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Aravane http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/61.gif http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/83.gif

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Phew. Almost choked after 4-0 up in the third. :cheer:

Julian.
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Rezai is set to defend her YEC title in Bali last year :worship:

Kipling
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:45 PM
What a fucking bitch this girl is. I was watching the match mute until the last two or three games and Rezai was screaming like crazy after absolutely every Dulko's error.

I love her explosiveness and game, but she is way too much...

Did you ever stop to think that most of Dulko's errors were forced, and that maybe Aravane was celebrating her good play in the point?

Haters are so transparent.

delicatecutter
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Another title for Caravan!! :woohoo: :hearts: And she beats Gisela for the first time!

Andreas
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Did you ever stop to think that most of Dulko's errors were forced, and that maybe Aravane was celebrating her good play in the point?

Haters are so transparent.

You're delusional. Those slices closer to her own service line than the net towards the end made me cringe :o She was just pushing and not even very well. It wasn't due to "Aravane's good play."

Aravane celebrates everything and I wouldn't be suprised if she threw in an allez had Dulko fallen or something.

Really, really bad match.

Slamniacki
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM
this match was more entertaining than the Wimbledon final.:worship:

Mixal
Jul 10th, 2010, 02:52 PM
You're delusional. Those slices closer to her own service line than the net towards the end made me cringe :o She was just pushing and not even very well. It wasn't due to "Aravane's good play."

Aravane celebrates everything and I wouldn't be suprised if she threw in an allez had Dulko fallen or something.

These slices were totally pathetic, Dulko hit them in her own service field, and no in these moments Rezai didn't really use her power. Even if these were forced errors, her screaming like crazy after each of these is annoying and unnecessary.

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Aravane was doing everything in this match, errors and winners and the best player won today.It would have been a nonsense if Gisela had won today.She even could have closed this match in 2.Gisela was really lucky with the netcord on the BP at 3-2 in the second set.

And Gisela moonballing is really boring ,i'm not surprised Aravane played bad in the 2nd and 3rd sets.It's really tiring to play a player using mooballs and slice.

Both players couldn't even barely hold their serves in the 3rd

darkangel23
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Aravane :D

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:11 PM
These slices were totally pathetic, Dulko hit them in her own service field, and no in these moments Rezai didn't really use her power. Even if these were forced errors, her screaming like crazy after each of these is annoying and unnecessary.

I don't see why people are complaining, she's cheering herself when she shouts "allez",and not mocking her opponent, it's adrenaline.
According the commentators Aravane is really loved by the public.In Madrid it was the same.She's a nice girl outside the court.

Topspin2
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Gratulation Aravane! :)

Mixal
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Aravane was doing everything in this match, errors and winners and the best player won today.It would have been a nonsense if Gisela had won today.She even could have closed this match in 2.Gisela was really lucky with the netcord on the BP at 3-2 in the second set.

And Gisela moonballing is really boring ,i'm not surprised Aravane played bad in the 2nd and 3rd sets.It's really tiring to play a player using mooballs and slice.

Both players couldn't even barely hold their serves in the 3rd

Look, I'm not saying she didn't deserve it or anything, it was obviously her who was going to dictate the game, and she succeed. Rezai should've won this match earlier. I'm saying that she's screaming very loud after opponents unforced errors (remember Petrova's DF?) and it annoys me. Where's the problem?

Elwin.
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Aravane :worship:
Congrats!!

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Look, I'm not saying she didn't deserve it or anything, it was obviously her who was going to dictate the game, and she succeed. Rezai should've won this match earlier. I'm saying that she's screaming very loud after opponents unforced errors (remember Petrova's DF?) and it annoys me. Where's the problem?

The problem is: you don't need to call her fucking bitch.
Where's the problem, why she couldn't cheer herself on when she wins a point .We don't care about if it's on an her unforced error of her opponents because at the end it's the same result: she wins the point.I don't know why she should keep her emotions inside.Every people reacts differently, personnally i would do the same.Adrenaline...

Jajaloo
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
:inlove:

is1531
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Rezai is a very talented player. Sometimes she forces the issue when she does not have to.

Keadz
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Also, how weird was the tournament. The ballkids have like some scoop thing to pick up the balls and they have to wear bow ties. Sweden :weirdo::p

is1531
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Where will Rezai be ranked tomorrow? Last I saw her was 20.

Mixal
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
don't know why she should keep her emotions inside.Every people reacts differently, personnally i would do the same.Adrenaline...

I think her attitude on court is totally bitchy, but maybe that's just me. It's not really about showing your emotions, it's more about the fact that I think it's disrespectful to your opponent. Not to mention insisting on the mark of the serve which was out and it's not the 1st time she did it. :o

I think the discussion ends here because you completely understand what I mean, as I understand you.

I'm hoping she'll soon face Zahlavova :devil:

serenus_2k8
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Well done Rezai :woohoo:

Dulko :hug:

Ferg
Jul 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I think her attitude on court is totally bitchy, but maybe that's just me. It's not really about showing your emotions, it's more about the fact that I think it's disrespectful to your opponent. Not to mention insisting on the mark of the serve which was out and it's not the 1st time she did it. :o

I think the discussion ends here because you completely understand what I mean, as I understand you.

Nah, shes one of the most hated on the tour in this regard. But speak anything negative about her, and you'll be branded as the devil and HATER!!!!!!!!!11!1!!!

Kipling
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Nah, shes one of the most hated on the tour in this regard. But speak anything negative about her, and you'll be branded as the devil and HATER!!!!!!!!!11!1!!!

Who's Princess Fergie's new favorite going to be next week?

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah, the cheering on DFs/Unforced errors is quite tacky... Not just on her, but on anyone. I don't have anything personal against her - I like that she plays a power game and usually winds up dictating the points - but she should really work on her on-court manners. Still, before I consider her one of my favorites I'll have to see a bit more from her, like if she can go deep into a Grand slam soon.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM
well done Aravane :bounce: :) :D
almost blew it :o

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM

LOL:lol:

I understand you,and you are not the only one. But I think her reputation isn't well founded.For me it's rawness not bitchiness she's spontaneous.I think she's misunderstood.
I've never seen her not giving credit to her opponents.

jonny84
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Another good win for Aravane............and also means she goes to Bali.

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:41 PM

One of the most hated???How do you know that because of some interviews ?Do you travel on the tour???I'm sure you are a geek who doesn't even go outside of your home.

I know that's she gets along with Bali's girl ,(Lisicki, MJM...,except Bartoli), Cornet , Safarova, Kuznetsova...and some more.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM
LOL:lol:

I understand you,and you are not the only one. But I think her reputation isn't well founded.For me it's rawness not bitchiness she's spontaneous.I think she's misunderstood.
I've never seen her not giving credit to her opponents.

Not sure if this counts, but after Serena beat her in Sydney Rezai said three times in one interview how she was "unimpressed" with her gameplay. http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=60912

Regardless of intentions, she came across as pretty snooty in that interview. EDIT: I should also mention, her only praise was forced down her throat by the interviewer.

Ferg
Jul 10th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Who's Princess Fergie's new favorite going to be next week?

Just as predictable as you say I am!! She can do no wrong in your eyes, nothing wrong with screaming Allez with Gise misses an easy dropshot by about 3 feet! Love you too babe!

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Not sure if this counts, but after Serena beat her in Sydney Rezai said three times in one interview how she was "unimpressed" with her gameplay. http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=60912

Regardless of intentions, she came across as pretty snooty in that interview. EDIT: I should also mention, her only praise was forced down her throat by the interviewer.

1. English isn't her mother tongue,and as you can see ,she's not goot at english

2.Unimpressed in french means "not scared" (of playing against the N°1), and she used it in this way.

3.She loves both Williams' sister games.In Madrid, she showed her admiration for Venus in the final ceremony.

4.What do you expect from Williams sister's opponents? To kneel down front of them. I'm a williams fan ,but some of them are starving for recognition on this forum.It's pathetic.

is1531
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I don't understand why Rezai is playing in Palermo. :)

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I don't understand why Rezai is playing in Palermo. :)

Me too, hope she withdraws.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:31 PM
1. English isn't her mother tongue,and as you can see ,she's not goot at english

2.Unimpressed in french means "not scared" (of playing against the N°1), and she used it in this way.

3.She loves both Williams' sister games.In Madrid, she showed her admiration for Venus in the final ceremony.

4.What do you expect from Williams sister's opponents? To kneel down front of them. I'm a williams fan ,but some of them are starving for recognition on this forum.It's pathetic.

1 - Fair enough, but tons of players with English as bad or worse have managed to avoid coming off as snotty(Like Zvonareva in this past Wimbledon. She was undoubtedly frustrated with her loss, but at least she managed to throw in an agonized compliment or two.)

2 - To the interviewers question regarding mental toughness, yes, but I fail to see how that applies in this context:
"Q. Out of all the players you played against, is Serena the most difficult player to play against, do you feel?

ARAVANE REZAI: No, I don't think so. For me, she's not too much impressive. Of course she's a good player. Of course I respect her. But I could with win today. I wasn't impressed. She's No. 1, so he's a pretty good player.[...]"

The "not too much impressive" bit seems fairly disrespectful. And Aravane knows the word "intimidating," so if she meant it in the way you stated, surely she would have used it.

3 - It's easy to compliment someone after you beat them. Just see all the bitter "I wasn't at my best, etc" comments from Serena after losing, versus how she cheerily talks up those who she beats.

4 - Not at all. As a Serena fan, it's quite obvious I don't mind a player not giving credit to their foe too much(hypocrisy much,) but I thought I should bring up this interview, since you mentioned that she always gives credit to her opponents.

améliemomo
Jul 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Aravane you rule!!!! CONGRATS GIRL!!!:clap2::bigclap::yeah:

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
1 - Fair enough, but tons of players with English as bad or worse have managed to avoid coming off as snotty(Like Zvonareva in this past Wimbledon. She was undoubtedly frustrated with her loss, but at least she managed to throw in an agonized compliment or two.)

2 - To the interviewers question regarding mental toughness, yes, but I fail to see how that applies in this context:
"Q. Out of all the players you played against, is Serena the most difficult player to play against, do you feel?

ARAVANE REZAI: No, I don't think so. For me, she's not too much impressive. Of course she's a good player. Of course I respect her. But I could with win today. I wasn't impressed. She's No. 1, so he's a pretty good player.[...]"

The "not too much impressive" bit seems fairly disrespectful. And Aravane knows the word "intimidating," so if she meant it in the way you stated, surely she would have used it.

3 - It's easy to compliment someone after you beat them. Just see all the bitter "I wasn't at my best, etc" comments from Serena after losing, versus how she cheerily talks up those who she beats.

4 - Not at all. As a Serena fan, it's quite obvious I don't mind a player not giving credit to their foe too much(hypocrisy much,) but I thought I should bring up this interview, since you mentioned that she always gives credit to her opponents.

You know, it's always difficult to play against No. 1, especially Serena. She had a good experience and she had a good win in Grand Slams. So it's always tough.
Is it disrespectful??She shows respect.

Serena is not God ,Serena except the serve has the kind of shots which suits more Aravane shots.Aravane will have more difficulties to play against someone which use slice and has no pace or a ballbasher.Aravane can handle Serena's power from the baseline.
This is a fact this is true , if it had been Jankovic instead she would have said the same.Serena strengths are her mental,her serve ,solidity from the baseline ,her ability to play well important points and her intelligence of the game.Which is why she's in my top 3 of all the time.Serena from 2002-2003 was impressive from the baseline but now players hits harder ,Serene appears less impressive than she was before.

Otherwise Serena wasn't clearly in a good day.
Aravane was leading 6-3 5-2 and she was overpowering her. You can say she was n't impressive.

3.You are judging her on mere intent.I agree you are more inclined to make nice comments when you win, isn't it normal?

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM
You know, it's always difficult to play against No. 1, especially Serena. She had a good experience and she had a good win in Grand Slams. So it's always tough.
Is it disrespectful??She shows respect.

Serena is not God ,Serena except the serve has the kind of shots which suits more Aravane shots.Aravane will have more difficulties to play against someone which use slice and has no pace or a ballbasher.Aravane can handle Serena's power from the baseline.
This is a fact this is true , if it had been Jankovic instead she would have said the same.Serena strengths are her mental,her serve ,solidity from the baseline ,her ability to play well important points and her intelligence of the game.Which is why she's in my top 3 of all the time.Serena from 2002-2003 was impressive from the baseline but now players hits harder ,Serene appears less impressive than she was before.

Otherwise Serena wasn't clearly in a good day.
Aravane was leading 6-3 5-2 and she was overpowering her. You can say she was n't impressive.

It would be more flattering if she evaded the topic altogether and spoke on how well she was doing(which she did a pretty good job of for most of the interview,) rather than speaking on what Serena wasn't doing. Regardless of the circumstances, most players would appreciate it if their foes didn't call them "unimpressive." It's just decorum that that's one of the things only we can say about ourselves.

3.You are judging her on mere intent.I agree you are more inclined to make nice comments when you win, isn't it normal?

Indeed it is. I'm not saying that she's a bad person or anything, just that she's no saint either.

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
It would be more flattering if she evaded the topic altogether and spoke on how well she was doing(which she did a pretty good job of for most of the interview,) rather than speaking on what Serena wasn't doing. Regardless of the circumstances, most players would appreciate it if their foes didn't call them "unimpressive." It's just decorum that that's one of the things only we can say about ourselves.
It'ss a press interview, the rule is :answer the questions.

Aravane is not experienced ,she's too naive, and not yet an accomplished professional player as big names.She needs to use more the stonewalling , she will learn i'm sure.
She was asked the question , people tend to forget that and to overreact.She didn't make a "bitchy comment" on her own she was asked how she felt playing Serena.She answered squarely and you are not happy with that.

Beat
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM

:spit: the phrase about rose-coloured glasses springs to mind.

GreenGrass
Jul 10th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Gisela :hug:

Serendy Willick
Jul 10th, 2010, 07:15 PM
It'ss a press interview, the rule is :answer the questions.

Aravane is not experienced ,she's too naive, and not yet an accomplished professional player as big names.She needs to use more the stonewalling , she will learn i'm sure.
She was asked the question , people tend to forget that and to overreact.She didn't make a "bitchy comment" on her own she was asked how she felt playing Serena.She answered squarely and you are not happy with that.
Please, if Serena said the same thing this chick had said, you would get the trolls out in full force bitchin and whining. I dont know why they are not starting up 52 page threads cryin about how she hits the ball hard, because thats all this girl does.:rolleyes: Note to Rezai, until you do something important like WIN A SLAM, STFU.

P_Fer
Jul 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Gise :sad:
Nice tourny though! Keep it up :D

dsanders06
Jul 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Indeed it is. I'm not saying that she's a bad person or anything, just that she's no saint either.

:spit: Oh my GOD, the IRONY of a Serena fan saying someone isn't gracious in defeat.

Anyway, I think Rezai's attitude stinks sometimes, but her game is fantastic when she's in full flight and it's good to see a (relative) young player looking ready to either win or die trying in this WTA era of choking and complacency. Good to see her get a decent win. :)

Renaissance
Jul 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Please, if Serena said the same thing this chick had said, you would get the trolls out in full force bitchin and whining. I dont know why they are not starting up 52 page threads cryin about how she hits the ball hard, because thats all this girl does.:rolleyes: Note to Rezai, until you do something important like WIN A SLAM, STFU.
Serena wouldn't be Serena without her powerful serve so i don't get your statement.Hitting hard is a part of the game.
Ok she's sometimes brainless but she has improved so much in the past few months.Before she was trained by her father and her tennis was one dimensional,it was a home made tennis.

She serves better and better using angle and slice (for a 5'5 girl it's quiet effective), she wrongfoots a lot her opponents (I think she's one of the best in this part of the game).She moves better ( needs to improve again),she improves her defense game and she's trying to give to her tennis new perspectives (net game by playing doubles and dropshot even if she's clumsy in this part of the game.)

Lachy
Jul 11th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Wohoo, you rock Aravane!!
The match was really in your hands the entire time.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 11th, 2010, 01:04 AM
:spit: Oh my GOD, the IRONY of a Serena fan saying someone isn't gracious in defeat.

Anyway, I think Rezai's attitude stinks sometimes, but her game is fantastic when she's in full flight and it's good to see a (relative) young player looking ready to either win or die trying in this WTA era of choking and complacency. Good to see her get a decent win. :)

Besides, I may be a Serena fan, but it's not like she's the standard by which classy and humble young tennis players should be judged. I just found Aravane should have found something better to say, or stonewalled like Renaissance said. Same with Serena when it comes to her "lucky shots" interviews. Aravane has time, so hopefully she'll learn to correct that - As well as her dreadfully obnoxious cheering of DFs/unforced errors.

Pops Maellard
Jul 11th, 2010, 04:10 AM
The player with weapons won.

http://docs.google.com/File?id=dfhzqxws_33dbf5xjxh_b

Alizé Molik
Jul 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM

why are you dragging up things from the past in a results thread? If you find the thread that dealt with this in february you should find that the questions were in French, answered in French and then translated incorrectly. A fact which was stated more than once by myself and other members in that thread. Not that I care enough about Serena or anyone else to defend what a player says in reference to her, but you should have all the facts before you use that one interview as a basis for defining somebody's personality.

Kipling
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM
why are you dragging up things from the past in a results thread? If you find the thread that dealt with this in february you should find that the questions were in French, answered in French and then translated incorrectly. A fact which was stated more than once by myself and other members in that thread. Not that I care enough about Serena or anyone else to defend what a player says in reference to her, but you should have all the facts before you use that one interview as a basis for defining somebody's personality.

Facts don't really mean a lot to most of the posters in GM, unfortunately. You could point that out repeatedly and the ignorant will always choose to ignore it. Too, they never mention the kind words Aravane has for her opponents in the speeches courtside. When you want to ignore what you want to ignore for the sake of throwing dirt on somebody you can make anyone look bad. That's the work of a bullshit artist.

But there's something deeper at work--why the hell are fans like that so insecure? The idea that another player is supposed to bow down in praise to Serena--or anyone else--is laughable, immature and totally delusional.

Along comes somebody who has the game to beat anyone in the world, when the WTA Tour is desperate for someone who can challenge the players at the top, and the reaction is to throw dirt on her. Real classy.

LCS
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Aravane :lol: If she keeps winning her mouth will keep on growing in exponential proportion :worship:

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 11th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Fair enough. No one mentioned that it was translated from French, which would explain a lot of things as far as the interview goes. But what about the way she cheers after almost every single unforced error her opponent makes? Not just a simple "whew" or fistpump. She flat out yells at the top of her lungs "YES!!!" or "ALLEZ!" or whatever it is that she says. You and AravaneCaravan seem to have the idea that I'm somehow threatened by Aravane and that's why I'm bringing this up. Rather, I'm just mentioning that there are certain things she does, like the cheering, that are incredibly obnoxious. I can look past that and admire her game -- She's easily my favorite out of the newer up and comers -- But acting as though she's this innocent, misunderstood little girl that everyone is threatened by/jealous of can't be farther from the truth.

BluSthil
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
:lick: Aravane is one of a few women tennis players that are breathing life back into the WTA. I like her game very much. A lot of spunkiness and power. Aravane may have some vocal outburts that don't fit well with some players and fans, but I suspect that those vocalizations will subside as she advances and matures. I think she has a bright future... 55535

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Congrats to her! :bigclap: Madrid and this, not bad.

Stevecw
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Good stuff Aravane. Really good year so far. Pity this has to be against Gise, but yet another title is always good. :yeah:

hurricanejeanne
Jul 11th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Aravane! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

slamchamp
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:47 AM

Haters are so transparent.are you not in TWAT? god you're annoying

Illusionist
Jul 12th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Go away Aravane!

Alizé Molik
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Fair enough. No one mentioned that it was translated from French, which would explain a lot of things as far as the interview goes. But what about the way she cheers after almost every single unforced error her opponent makes? Not just a simple "whew" or fistpump. She flat out yells at the top of her lungs "YES!!!" or "ALLEZ!" or whatever it is that she says. You and AravaneCaravan seem to have the idea that I'm somehow threatened by Aravane and that's why I'm bringing this up. Rather, I'm just mentioning that there are certain things she does, like the cheering, that are incredibly obnoxious. I can look past that and admire her game -- She's easily my favorite out of the newer up and comers -- But acting as though she's this innocent, misunderstood little girl that everyone is threatened by/jealous of can't be farther from the truth.

I know and I don't disagree with that point at all. I don't agree with any players celebrating the opponents unforced errors. I understand that it could very well be that the players that do it are just pumping themselves up, but it seems really unecessary and tacky. :sad: That said I still didn't like that you brought that Serena thing up mainly because you're not the first person to do it and its just plain wrong.

skanky~skanketta
Jul 12th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I don't understand why Gisela moonballs so much. She has got pretty decent power, especially on the FH side, so she should be forcing the play a bit more. Actually, Gisela is a complete mystery. She has a good game overall, with a relatively good serve to back it up, but she plays like she's average. Sigh.

Congrats to Aravane though.

Nicolas
Jul 12th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Rezaď is annoying

Sander.
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Why do I love Aravane when she plays in another country then France :inlove:

Corswandt
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Saw this yesterday evening. Poor quality match overall. Some great winners from Caravane, but some really dunderheaded play at times as well.

Caravane was very up and down. She has a low centre of gravity so scrambles somewhat better than one would expect, but her footwork remains poor, and it's impressive that she can still whale on the ball like that even while being out of balance (or forced to take the ball late) so often. She found hitting through Dulko from the baseline quite difficult (Dulko is a wily one, with great court sense and anticipation, + Caravane didn't hit very few BHs DTL, and wasn't going for her FH the way she did in Madrid), and once her serve went away early in the 2nd set she was in trouble. Hit a good patch again early in the 3rd, but once she got herself broken for the first time she seemed mentally shot, and stopped moving her feet altogether. She might have collapsed completely, and only took the match with some help from Dulko.

Dulko played her usual game, looping the ball from corner to corner whenever possible, scrambling fairly well far behind the baseline to scoop up/slice back Caravane's shots, junkballing a lot and counterpunching on occasion. Being creative and using touch shots while under Caravane's barrage is very tough to do, and Dulko met only with mixed success in that. Dulko has discomfited one-dimensional baseliners with this game in the past before, but Caravane, unlike say Azarenka, can easily force a decision in any point she chooses to, and it's very draining to face such an opponent, as Dulko must have felt that the match was never in her hands.

Kipling
Jul 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
but once she got herself broken for the first time she seemed mentally shot, and stopped moving her feet altogether. She might have collapsed completely, and only took the match with some help from Dulko.

:lol: You obviously haven't seen her play very much. She is one of the toughest on the tour mentally. She fights as well as anybody. Her mental strength is probably the only way she can win with such a high risk game. There are a lot of players on tour who would crumble after losing a 4-0 lead, or even after losing a set, but Aravane is not one of them.

Corswandt
Jul 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM
:lol: You obviously haven't seen her play very much. She is one of the toughest on the tour mentally. She fights as well as anybody. Her mental strength is probably the only way she can win with such a high risk game. There are a lot of players on tour who would crumble after losing a 4-0 lead, or even after losing a set, but Aravane is not one of them.

Defensive much? Are you going to deny that Caravane seemed completely out of sorts during 2-3 games once she got broken when serving for 5-0?

BTW, didn't Caravane's coach for the week say something like "You grunt louder, you hit harder", and got her laughing, when he first came on the court in the break between the 1st and the 2nd set?

bandabou
Jul 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM
:lol: Ah man...it's good. I doubt Serena was loing any sleep over Rezai not finding her impressive.

Girl's good, the allez thing...well Juju does it too, so i guess it's a French thing?

lucho_coria
Jul 12th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I don't understand why Gisela moonballs so much. She has got pretty decent power, especially on the FH side, so she should be forcing the play a bit more. Actually, Gisela is a complete mystery. She has a good game overall, with a relatively good serve to back it up, but she plays like she's average. Sigh.

Congrats to Aravane though.

I think exactly the same , and i remember the match againts Serena in AO 2009 :sad: