PDA

View Full Version : Are the television ratings for the Wimby finals out yet?

HippityHop
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Anybody? :confused:

TSequoia01
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM
The women’s final between Serena Williams and Vera Zvonareva received a 1.8 — down a third from last year’s all-Williams meeting.

HippityHop
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
The women’s final between Serena Williams and Vera Zvonareva received a 1.8 — down a third from last year’s all-Williams meeting.

Thanks. I couldn't find this with a google search. Where did you get it?

Meelis
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/ticker.aspx?articleid=6462&zoneid=6

HippityHop
Jul 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM

Thanks. One funny headline did show up in my search though: Serena Williams to face Petra :tape:Zvonareva in Wimbledon final. In all fairness they did get it right (i.e. Vera) in the body of the article, but still. :(

Don't the professional people have proof readers?

tennisbum79
Jul 9th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks. One funny headline did show up in my search though: Serena Williams to face Petra :tape:Zvonareva in Wimbledon final. In all fairness they did get it right (i.e. Vera) in the body of the article, but still. :(

It seems sport reporting attract failed jocks.
These are not particurily the most dilligent people.

Vlover
Jul 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I hope Martina will stop repeating that :bs: that Williams finals are bad for tennis as there is no evidence to support this claim. She along with other Williams haters might not like it but evidently most people do.

TennisFan66
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Thx. Absolute levels may have been down, but interesting to see how well womens side again stack up Vs mens. 1.8 Vs 1.9 ..

As for SW19 attendance:

Overall attendance was 489,946, which is the second highest overall for 13 days in spite of the reduced capacity of 37,500 (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2010-07-06/201007071278484605882.html?promo=rss)

HRHoliviasmith
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:22 PM

In the finals post-match stats, ESPN had a picture of Nadia Petrova under Vera's name. :lol: :help:

Vlover
Jul 9th, 2010, 08:23 PM
but interesting to see how well womens side again stack up Vs mens. 1.8 Vs 1.9 ..
Good point! For all the promotion and hype the ATP gets the women are still holding their own.:yeah: One would never guess the way some people disparage the women's game.

PhilePhile
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Thx. Absolute levels may have been down, but interesting to see how well womens side again stack up Vs mens. 1.8 Vs 1.9 ..

1.7 vs 1.6 for the 2010 FO finals.

Serenita
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM
In the finals post-match stats, ESPN had a picture of Nadia Petrova under Vera's name. :lol: :help:

noooooooo :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Witch-king
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:32 PM
1.7 vs 1.6 for the 2010 FO finals.

that's incredible that more people were interested in seeing Fran and Sam than Rafa...
Anyway this is the US right? I'm curious what the stats are worldwide

Gdsimmons
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:33 PM

I thought I was the only one who saw that. I was like wait a minute is that Petrova? :tape::tape:

TennisFan66
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
that's incredible that more people were interested in seeing Fran and Sam than Rafa...

I think its a fair assumption there was new TV audience records in both Italy and Australia :)

The women's final will draw the biggest Australian TV audience for the French Open ever. (http://betting.*******.com.au/tennis/roland-garros-latest---french-open-040610.html)

sammy01
Jul 9th, 2010, 09:52 PM

I hope Martina will stop repeating that :bs: that Williams finals are bad for tennis as there is no evidence to support this claim. She along with other Williams haters might not like it but evidently most people do.

Good point! For all the promotion and hype the ATP gets the women are still holding their own.:yeah: One would never guess the way some people disparage the women's game.

these are US ratings, the mens final had no american in it, the womens had one. also an all williams final only benefits the US as it is 2 americans.

US is nothing to wimbledon and its success t.v ratings wise, we had a whole thread on this.

we need to see the uk ratings.

PhilePhile
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM

Those are US numbers (No Big Names, No Problem For French Open Women's Final (http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010/06/no-big-names-no-problem-for-french-open.html) - sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com, Monday, June 7, 2010).

these are US ratings, the mens final had no american in it, the womens had one. also an all williams final only benefits the US as it is 2 americans.

US is nothing to wimbledon and its success t.v ratings wise, we had a whole thread on this.

... Over 6.4 million peak viewers tuned in to see the men's singles final between Nadal and Czech Republic champion Tomas Berdych, which saw Nadal win easily 6-3, 7-5, 6-4.

BBC One's full coverage from the All England Club attracted more than 4.8 million average viewers and a 36.6% audience share between 1.30pm and 6.20pm yesterday, and with the exception of one fifteen minute slot, the channel held on to the peak audience from early in the morning right through to 8pm.

It was a similar story on Saturday - BBC One banked the highest ratings all day with the exception of one fifteen minute slot. The channel's Saturday morning breakfast line-up took it through the ladies' singles final at Wimbledon, which attracted 2.1 million average viewers and a 25.5% audience share between 1pm and 2.30pm.

Coverage of the Serena Williams v Vera Zvonareva match was soon diverted to BBC Two, along with the peak audience share. BBC Two's Wimbledon coverage continued until 8.15pm that night, scoring a high of 2.6 million viewers in the first fifteen minutes after the programme moved from BBC One to Two. ...

- mediatel.co.uk/newsline (http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2010/07/05/tv-overnights-nadal-delivers-bbc-one-ace/) 5 July 2010 by Liz Jaques

Slutiana
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Those are US numbers (No Big Names, No Problem For French Open Women's Final (http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010/06/no-big-names-no-problem-for-french-open.html) - sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com, Monday, June 7, 2010).

... Over 6.4 million peak viewers tuned in to see the men's singles final between Nadal and Czech Republic champion Tomas Berdych, which saw Nadal win easily 6-3, 7-5, 6-4.

BBC One's full coverage from the All England Club attracted more than 4.8 million average viewers and a 36.6% audience share between 1.30pm and 6.20pm yesterday, and with the exception of one fifteen minute slot, the channel held on to the peak audience from early in the morning right through to 8pm.

It was a similar story on Saturday - BBC One banked the highest ratings all day with the exception of one fifteen minute slot. The channel's Saturday morning breakfast line-up took it through the ladies' singles final at Wimbledon, which attracted 2.1 million average viewers and a 25.5% audience share between 1pm and 2.30pm.

Coverage of the Serena Williams v Vera Zvonareva match was soon diverted to BBC Two, along with the peak audience share. BBC Two's Wimbledon coverage continued until 8.15pm that night, scoring a high of 2.6 million viewers in the first fifteen minutes after the programme moved from BBC One to Two. ...

- mediatel.co.uk/newsline (http://mediatel.co.uk/newsline/2010/07/05/tv-overnights-nadal-delivers-bbc-one-ace/) 5 July 2010 by Liz Jaques
Well then. :lol:

Back in the day, the Womens finals were beating the mens ones practically every single time.

Baselinebasher
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Well then. :lol:

Back in the day, the Womens finals were beating the mens ones practically every single time.

I honestly can't imagine why. :o

Jajaloo
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM
It was an absolute flop in Australia. It was the 26th most watched program of the night, with only 295,000 viewers. More people watched a repeat of Antiques Roadshow!

sammy01
Jul 10th, 2010, 08:26 AM

so 4.8 million for the men

2.1 million for the women

and these are the ratings that count, as the BBC pay a huge amount of money to show wimbledon.

Slutiana
Jul 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
so 4.8 million for the men

2.1 million for the women

and these are the ratings that count, as the BBC pay a huge amount of money to show wimbledon.
Yup. Can't wait to see TennisFan66 pull another 'statistic' out of his ass. :hearts:

shoparound
Jul 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM

I remember that! Ridiculous by ESPN. But hell, it's the best coverage anyone had in the US. NBC didn't do anything live and blocked ESPN's live coverage in the west coast.

Olórin
Jul 10th, 2010, 11:51 AM
There was a little football match going on, on the Saturday - whereas there was no such competition on the Sunday. Those figures aren't so bad at all. BBC One and Two were in direct competition all day - there was nothing else on Sunday apart from Wimbledon. The fact the Final showcase match was so short and uncompetitive wouldn't help either. Wasn't it over by 3.20? A lot of people have only just finished lunch and are turning to an afternoon of T.V by that point.

Data is useless in a vacuum. You've got to use your brains to analyse it people. 25% and 36% audience share is probably a little more indicative.

The BBC would be happy with ratings, they dominated the entire weekend with their sports coverage - and millions tuned in to watch Wimbledon with and without the football. But I guess we should probably rant, moan and lament a little bit more in this thread for good measure.

aussie_fan
Jul 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I think its a fair assumption there was new TV audience records in both Italy and Australia :)

The women's final will draw the biggest Australian TV audience for the French Open ever. (http://betting.*******.com.au/tennis/roland-garros-latest---french-open-040610.html)

We had 1.1 million watch that match, starting at 11pm, insanely high figures for that time of night, look at the Wimby results, only got 295k down, men's got about 500k.

lizchris
Jul 10th, 2010, 06:49 PM

I saw that too :haha:! And I don't believe they ever fixed the mistake:o.

mykarma
Jul 10th, 2010, 08:00 PM
That can't be because no one wants to see a Williams final according to some people on this forum. :rolleyes:

mykarma
Jul 10th, 2010, 08:07 PM

You are to funny and the only reason the U.S. had a man in the finals last year was because Nadal was out injured. :tape: